Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 60 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 60 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Reading to Pottsville. It was completed in 1812,
and operated' until 1885, when it was abandoned.
Stages ran to and fro on this turnpike until 1842.

A canal was constructed along the eastern bank
of the Schuylkill from 1815 to 1822, which was
opened for traffic in 1824. Active operations were
carried on until about 1895, with a large annual
tonnage, but then they almost entirely ceased be-
cause the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Com-
pany (which had become its lessee) diverted the
coal and merchandise traffic to the railroad. Boat-
building at Hamburg was a prominent industry for
forty years.

Railroad communication with Reading and Phil-,
adelphia to the south, and Pottsville to the north,
was opened in 1842 by the extension of the Phila-
delphia & Reading railroad along the we,stern bank
of the Schuylkill. In December, 1885, additional
railroad facilities were afforded to Reading and to
Pottsville by the completion of the Pennsylvania
Schuylkill Valley railroad along the eastern bank
of the river. The company estabhshed a station
at the crossing on State street, where a superior
and attractive building was erected to accommodate
the patrons of the road.

Telegraph communication was opened in 1847 ;
and telephone, in 1881.

Incorporation. — The borough was erected by a
special Act of Assembly, passed April 3, 1837.
Several previous attempts had been made in this
behalf (the first having been in 1830), but they



248



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



were not successful. This movement was encour-
aged by the operation and increasing importance
of the canal.

The borough was divided into two wards m
1886: North and South.

Early Inhabitants.— Among the early inhabi-
tants of Hamburg, whilst a town, from 1800 to
1820, were the following, whose employments are
indicated in the statement:



John Meyer, broker

Henry Heinly, tailor

John De Wald, hatter

John Shomo, Jr., teacher

David Newhart, tobacconist

George Miller, miller

Charles Guss, mason

William Feather, tanner

Moses Levy, store-keeper

Daniel Levan, tavern-keeper

Jacob Snell, butcher

Joseph Shorao, St., tinsmith

Abraham Wolff, saddler

Henry Groh, yeoman

Adolphus Hatzfield, justice

Dr. Klein, physician

Philip Sousley, cordwainer

Andrew Helwig, yeoman

Penry Schoener, chair-
maker

Wm. Coulter, chair-maker

Henry Lewers, tinsmith

Henry Fister, hatter

John Schenk, tailor

John Beideman, clock-maker

Mrs. Peter Schatz, cake
baker

Henry Lindenmuth. shoe-
maker

Abraham Bailey, tavern-
keeper

William Schau, tailor

Abraham De Wald, cigar-
maker

Dr. Benj. Becker, physician

Philip Hummel, farmer

Frederick Felix, shoemaker

Michael Reese, cooper

John Eherhard, carpenter

William Machemer, dyer

John Moyer, tobacconist

John Shomo, St., inn-keeper

Andrew Smith, blacksmith

First T.\xables. — The resident taxables of Ham-
burg, at the time of its erection into a borough,
were as follows:



John Derr, tanner
Robert Scott, store-keeper
Jacob Glatt, laborer
John Miller, cabinet-maker
Andrew Forsyth, merchant
Jacob Fisher, coffee-mill-
maker
Capt. Leitheiser, Revolu-
tionist
Sebastian Leonard, black-
smith
Daniel Kern, store-keeper
David Davidheiser, tavern-
keeper
Andrew Hummel, laborer
Jacob Hains, carpenter
Christian Lochman, weaver
John Miller, cooper
Peter Dile, laborer
Henry Roi, watchmaker
Wra. Lochman (Hessian),

laborer
John Scharff (Hessian),

hostler
Abraham ShoUenberger,

potter
John ShoUenberger, black-
smith

Hetrich, cooper

Silliman, ferryman

Fred'k ShoUenberger,

butcher
Abraham Keiser, butcher

Kennedy, mason

Killian May, cooper
Joseph Miller, farmer
Wm. V/illiamson, wheel-
wright

Casper Diehl, tavern-keeper
Jeremiah Shappell, farmer
Ab'm Williamson, spinning-
wheel-maker



Benjamin Harman
Widow Humel
Henry Heinly Est.
Jacob Heins
John Hartzel
Henry Hoffman
Charles Harthne
William Hensher
Enoch Jones
Conrad Kolp
Benjamin Kline
Peter Kern Est.
Daniel Kern
William Keiser
Abraham Keiser Est.
Samuel Kline
Charles Keller
Solomon Klein
John Leise
Christian Lochman
Sebastian Lenhart
Henry Lindemuth
William Lochman
Jacob Lindemuth
Henry Lewars, Esq.
Jacob Laub
Charles Loy
Daniel Laub
Samuel Lilly
Widow Leitheiser
Frederick Miller
John Miller
George Miller
John Moyer Est.
Peter Miller
James G. Moyer
William Neyer
John Naragang, Sr.
David Nice Est.
Benjamin R. Nice, M. D.
Lewis J. Pauli
Josiah H. Reichelderfer
John F. Reeser
Benjamin Reeser

Solomon Reese
Michael Reese
John Roth

John Roth, Jr.



Frederick Albright
William Ames
John Baily
William Berger
Augustus Bailer
Peter C. Baum
Peter Baucher, Jr.
John Beiteman
John Boyer Est.
Jacob Buck
Widow Benseman '
Jacob Billman
Solomon Borrel
Jacob Cramp
David Dewald
Israel Derr, Esq.
Jesse Dewalt



Isaac Dewalt
William Evans
Casper Ehman
Jacob Fisher
William Feather
Henry Fister
Simon Fister
Joseph Filbert
Arthur Fesig
Reuben Freed
Henry Groh Est.
Joseph Groh
William Gifft
Joseph Geiger
Tacob Geiger
Felix Hartman
Adolph Hatzfield



Single



Samuel Burns
Frederick Beitenman
Samuel Bauch
Daniel Cremer
Jacob .-K. Dietrich
Peter Feather
Daniel Feather
Alexander Gross
Henry Kern
Peter Longalow
Nathan Levi



Charles Roth ' ^

Henry Rapp
William Rothenberger
Lewis Rhubear
Barbara Savage
John W. Scott
Israel Smith
Boas Smith
Egedius Smith
Andrew Smith Est.
WUham Shomo
Joseph Shomo
Jacob Snell
John Schwoyer
Godfrey Seidel
Samuel ShoUenberger
John Shenk
Joseph Smith
Jacob Siegfried
Jonathan Sweitzig (of Jacob)
Jacob SchoUenberger
John ShoUenberger
John ShoUenberger (bl. sm.)
Dewald ShoUenberger Est.
Fred'k ShoUenberger
Peter ShoUenberger
Augustus Shultz, M. D.
Joseph ShoUenberger
Philip Shatz
John Sunday
William Smith
Benjamin Stitzel
Jacob Smith
Joseph Seidel
Jacob Shaeffer
Thomas Smith
Casper Snell
John Tolbert
Isaac Thompson
Jonathan Waidman
Christian Wild
Abraham Williamson
Daniel Wolf
John Wehren
George Wagner, Jr.
John Williams
Benjamin Williams
Joseph Weidman

Freemen

John P. ^Tiller

\\'illiam Mengel

Martin Pauter

Jacob Roth

John Ring

Daniel Stambach

WiUiara Smith (of Michl.)

Thomas Smith (of Andw.)

Charles ShoUenberger

Joseph Yeager



Property in 1906.^The amount of the assessed
property of Hamburg in 1906, and the number of
ta.xables, were as follows :





Property


Money
at interest


Taxables




$334,403 $121,138
580,053 204,826


458


South ward


456


$914,456 1 $325,964 | 914



List of Officials. — The early minutes of the
town council have been lost. The names of the



BOROUGHS



349



chief bvrrg^SBes, town clerks and justices of the
peace since 1867 are as follows:

CHIEF BURGESSES

John Sunday 1867-68 ; 1874-75

James Prutzman 1869-71

Reuben Seidel 1872-73 ; 1880

Jacob Geiger 1876

Fred. Gordfleck 1877-78

John A. Tobias 1879

Dr. William Harris 1881-83

Solomon K. Dreibelbis '. 1883 ; 1885-86

Alton F. Luburg 1884; 1887; 1897-1900; 1903-06

Dr. Jonathan B. Potteiger 1888

Christian Baum 1889

Frank R. Wagner 1890-91

J. Albert Sunday 1892

Thomas M. Raubenhold 1893 ; 1903-06 ; 1909-12

William K. Miller 1894-97

John R. Wagner 1900-03

Dr. Frank M. Nice 1906-09

TOWN CLERKS

George A. Xander 1867-73 '

J. Jerome Miller 1874-77

B. S. Gardner 1878-80 ; 1882

R. J. M. Miller 1881 ; 1884-90

B. F. Bean 1883

Monroe M. Dreibelbis 1890-93

Benneville Derr 1893-98

Frank I. Tobias 1898-1910

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE*

Ephraim Dreibelbis 1873-78

Oliver J. Wolff 1875-88

JacksonLevan 1878-88; 1893-98

Solomon K. Dreibelbis 1888-93

M. M. Dreibelbis 1898-1903

;Solomon K. Hoffman . .■ 1888-1913

"W. A. B. Ketner 1903-13



Post-Office. — A post-office was established at
Hamburg in 1798. The postmaster since 1897 has
"been Abel H. Beyers. Previous postmasters back
to' 1870 were: B. Frank Bean, Allen L. Shomo,
Dr. William Harris, Elias Shomo, Henry Rothen-
l)erger, Peter S. Haintz.

Industries. — The oldest recognized industry in
the town was the gristmill established about the
"beginning of the town by Martin Kaercher, Jr., and
the site is still occupied as a mill by the Savage
Brothers. ,It has been operated for upward of one
hundred and twenty years by different parties.

Numerous industries, such as for the 'distillation
of whiskey, the brewing of beer, the building of
boats, the manufacture of leather, bricks, chains,
nails, wool hats, etc., were carried on for many
years in the early history of the place as a town
and afterward as a borough, but these have been
abandoned for many years.

One of the most prominent plants is the Ham-
burg 'Plow Works on Main street, operated by S.
A. Loose & Son. It was first started as a tannery
by Israel Derr and operated till near 1850. Then
it was converted into a foundry by his son Benne-
ville for the manufacture of stoves and the "Derr
Plows." He employed from ten to fifteen men. It
was carried on by him until 1881, when he was
: succeeded by S. A. Loose, C. F. Seaman and P. M.

* Record previous to 1873 -not on file.



Shollenberger, who traded as Loose, Seaman & Co.,
and they changed the name of the plant to the
Hamburg Plow Works. They manufactured ex-
tensively the "Champion" plow, and the "Bower"
slip-point plowshare, which they shipped to all parts
of this country and foreign countries including South
America and Spain. Loose became sole owner in
1893, and his son was admitted as a partner in 1903.

The Keystone Foundry on State street was erec-
ted in 1841 by Reuben Lins for manufacturing
farming implements, rolling-mill castings, and
stoves. He and others in succession carried it on
extensively until 1881, when Henry Seivert became
the owner, and he operated it successfully until
1905, when he sold the plant to William Neiman
and Llewellyn K. Saul, who have since manufac-
tured all kinds of engine and elevator castings, em-
ploying twenty-five hands.

The manufacturing of building brick was started
at Hamburg about 1845 by John Tobias. The
yard and kiln were operated by him and his brother,
and then by his son Charles and son-in-law William
G. Sheradin until 1902, when they were removed
to Tilden township on the farm of Jeremiah A.
Bausher.

The industrial affairs at Hamburg in 1909 were
in a flourishing condition. Twenty-seven plants
were in operation. The following statement shows
the nature of the several plants and the names of
the proprietors, the year when started, and the
number of employees :

W. Irving Wilhelm established a large bicycle
works at Hamburg in the year 1893 and carried
it oh with great success several years until it was
destroyed by fire in 1898. The plant was rebuilt
and afterward converted into a silk-mill.

B'leachery Works: Allen J. Kummerer (1897-

1907) with 4 hands; W. Scott Fisher & Son (1899-

1908) with 6 hands; Solon D. Bausher (1904), with
8 to 10 hands; Hamburg Knitting Mills (1909).

Boiler Works: Henry Seider'? (1901) ; 30 to
30 hands.

Bottling Works: W. H. Raubenhold (1899), 3
hands (formerly operated by J. W. Heinly from
1880 to 1898).

Broom-handle Factory: William E. Schmick
carried on the manufacture of broom handles at
Hamburg in 1905 and 1906, when he and five
other persons of the place organized the Schmick
Handle & Lumber Co. with a capital of $35,000
for the purpose of manufacturing broom-handles
and chair stock and transferred the industry to a
town called William, in West Virginia, where they
have since carried on the business in an extensive
and successful manner, employing from forty to
fifty hands, and producing daily 35,000 handles,
which are shipped to all parts of the country. The
parties from Hamburg, interested in this industry,
are Mr. Schmick (president), Charles D. Burkey
(vice-president), J. Jerome Miller (treasurer), J.
Edward Miller (secretary), J. A. Bausher and his
son Solon, who constitute the board of directors.



250 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

Broom Factories: W. E. Schmick (1803), 40 to & Co. of Reading in 1903 and operated until 1905,

60 hands; John H. Miller (1899), 10 hands; A. B. when discontinued. A previous industry had been

Heller (1900), l:i hands. carried on in this building by the Byers Hat Co.

Carriage Factories: Samuel Scott and James (Inc.), for the manufacture of hats, from 1891

Kemmerer, trading as Scott & Kemmerer (1901), to 1902.

5 hands (previously carried on by \V. A. Scott, Silk Mill: Incorporated in 1902, with capital of
from 1865 to 1902, when he died). William G. $25,000, by Irwin A. Diener and Henry J. Diener
Hahn (1898) ; his brother Adam became a partner of Hamburg, Lee D. Madeira of Fleetwood, and
in 1902, and they have carried on the business since four non-residents. The Dieners sold their inter-
as W. G. Hahn & Bro., with 15 hands. _ est in September, 1906, to New York dealers who

Chain Hoists: The Hamburg Manufacturing have carried it on since; 70 hands.
Company was organized in 19(J7 by Henry J. In 1909, besides the plants named, there were two

Schmick and others of Hamburg (who had se- lumber yards, five general stores, two furniture

cured several valuable patents) for the manufac- stores, four hotels, four saloons, and one liquor

ture of chain hoists, with a capital of $50,000. store.

The company established a plant and since then Vocations in 1909. — The miscellaneous employ-
has been very successful in producing a hoist ments at Hamburg in 1909 were as follows:

which has become very popular. The United p^y^ieians 5 Undertakers 2

States government has placed a number of them Dentists 2 Milliners 3

on some of the battle-ships and also in the con- Blacksmiths 3 Butchers 2

struction work of the Panama canal, which evi- Tinsmiths 3 Builders 2

deuces the superior character of this particular Wheelwright 1

hoist. B.-vNKS. — The Hamburg Savings Bank (State)

Cigar Factory: John W. Wertley (18G1) ; son, was chartered in 1872 with a capital of $50,000.

John H., was a partner from 1905 to 1907, and The par value of the stock was fixed at $20, but

then became sole proprietor ; G hands. it gradually increased until November, 1908, when

Creamery: Nathan A. Confer (1892-1906), 2 the market value was nearly $60, which evidences

hands (converted into nickel-plating works) ; Al- the superior management of this financial institu-

fred P. Wertley (1899), 10 hands. tion. Then the resources were $642,710, with de-

Electric Light and Pozt'er Company: Incorpor- posits at $495,232, and the surplus and undivided

ated in 1892; 27 arc lights for borough use, and profits at $97,300. It occupies a superior building

1,000 incandescents; John Snell, president; George on Main street, which is worth about $15,000. J.

F. Meharg, secretary and treasurer. Jerome Miller has been the cashier since 1877 — a

Engine Works: John Snell and George F. Me- continuous period covering thirty-two years — the

harg, trading as Snell & Meharg (1889) ; 40 hands previous cashier having been Charles S'homo. It

(formerly at Reading from 1880 to 1889). has been placed on the State Bank Roll of Honor,

Flour Mills: George Walter (1884), 6 hands, being the twenty-sixth in Pennsylvania.
50 barrels daily; Bausher & Seaman* (1S99), 5 ^j^ second bank was instituted Feb. 13, 1008,

hands, 50 barrels daily; Savage & Bro. (1901), 5 called the First National Bank of Hamburg, with

hands, 18 barrels daily. .,..,. o^, , a capital of $25,000. In November, 1908, die re-

Fomidrics: S. A Loose & Son (190b), 30 hands; ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^.^ $129,818, with deposits $78,176 and

Will. Neiman and L. K. Saul trading as Neiman .undivided profits $1,509. It secured a property on

6 Saul (lOOo), 22 hands; Nathan Confer, Jr., ^j^j,^ 3^,^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^,^^^.^ ^^.^ post-office' had
Thomas L. Smith and N A Confer, trading as ^een located for ten years), and erected a bank
Confer, Smith & Co. (1903), 40 hands. building with an attractive front, worth $12,000.
on^nn ^V ?\ Incorporated '" lOQ- : holder, jo^ ,,-3. Hepner has been the president, and H.
20,000 cubic feet ; 200 consumers ; H F. Pnntzen- R^vmond Shollenberger the cashier.

hoff president of the company to 1908, then sue- ^^^^^ ^^ Tr.vde.-Iu 1889 a Board of Trade

ceeded by William O. Hemly ,,,^3 organized at Hamburg by the merchants and

Gr.c;«/,o»... Stephen Sousley 1904. business people, and James L.' Merkel, a prominent

Hosiery Mill: James L. Merkel (1903), 25 and successful merchant, was selected as its presi-

Tee'Cream Factories: Alfred P. Wertlev (1888; .t"!" ,Jj Z'^fj^^ '" f ^f -'"^'f "" !°' f "^

started by father in 1861) ; D. M. Baer (1892). ^^^rf^t , ^ successful in stimulating local

Knittil, Mills: Dr. Alkn J. Fink, Solomon K. f"To'o6 fv^tlf Air M.H :', ^' was re-orgamzed

TT /v ^iT I T^i aV T) u 1 r 1 i J '" 190(1 with i\ir. Merkel as president and he has

Hoftman, Esq., and Thomas M. Raubenhold, trad- r,^-, ,.^ „ ■,.■ ■ rr.,^ . ut na^

ing as Hambii;g Knitting Mills (1896), 40 hands; S"'!''?" ^uT.l J ' "^^et'ngs are held

Solon D. Bausher (1895), 90 hands; W. Scot( '" '''" *°*" ^^^^' ^^^ members number about 150.

Fisher & Son (1903 to 1908), 30 hands. Public Improvements

Shoe Factory: Bigney, Sweeny & Geiger (1905 Water Company. — In 1889, the Windsor Water

and 1906). The plant was started by Curtis, Jones Company was organized and incorporated by Peter

* Bausher & Belong previously, from 1886 to 1899, having in- D. Wanner of Readinsf, T. Terome Miller and

troHnced the first roller process machinery in northern section r-i. i t^ c ,- tt < , "hva

of the county. Lharlcs t. Seaman of Hamburg, and several other



BOROUGHS



351



persons, with a capital of $50,000, for the purpose
of supplying Hamburg with water. They estab-
lished a reservoir with a capacity of 1,000,000 gal-
lons at the base of the Blue Mountain, three miles
northeast of Hamburg on Mill creek, a short dis-
tance below the old Windsor iron furnace; also an
auxiliary artesian well, 300 feet deep, with a daily
capacity of 100,000 gallons by means of a com-
pressed-air purriping engine. Peter D. Wanner was
president of the company until 1901, when he was
succeeded by George F. Meharg.

Fire Company. — In 1838, shortly after the in-
corporation of the borough, a fire company was
organized to afford the inhabitants protection
against fire. It was a private association and it
was not until 1866 that the borough authorities
supplied a building for its apparatus. The second
story of the building was set apart as a town hall
for the meetings of the town council. In 1906,
the company had 193 members; a Silsby steam
fire-engine ; hook and ladder truck ; and three hose
carriages, with 1,000 feet of the best cotton hose
(one carriage being located in the North ward, and
two in the South ward where the building is situ-
ated).

Newspapers. — A number of newspapers have
been issued at Hamburg. The Schnellpost was
started in 1841 and continued until 1897 ; the
Advertiser, in 1865, and continued until 18G8, when
it was removed to Pottstown; the Rural Press,J\n
187.3, and continued until 1875, when it was re-
moved to Ohio ; the Berichtcr, in 1 873, and contin-
ued until 1874, when it was removed to Reading.

The Hamburg Weekly Item was started by Sam-
uel A. Focht in 1875, in the country three miles
east of Hamburg, but in 1876 the publication office
was removed to the borough and here it has con-
tinued until now. Focht continued its publication
until his death in 1887; then (Jan. 1, 1888) Wil-
liam O. Heinly purchased the plant and he has
since issued the newspaper with increasing success.
A printing office is carried on in connection with
the newspaper.

Hamburg Motor Club. — In 1908, the automo-
bilists of Hamburg and the surrounding towns
within a radius of seventeen miles organized an
association, called the Hamburg Motor Club. In
May, 1909, there were upward of thirty automo-
biles at Hamburg; and then the club had eighty-
two members. Hamburg is generally recognized
as having more automobiles in proportion to pop-
ulation than any other town in Pennsylvania.

Churches. — ^There are four churches at Ham-
burg. The fir^t was erected in 1790 as a "union"
church, comprising the Lutheran and Reformed
denominations. The land for the purpose had been
donated and set apart by Kaercher in 1773. The
building was of logs, two stories, the lower story
being used for school purposes and the upper for
religious services. Within twentv years, it became
too small to accommodate the increasing attend-
ance, and arrangements were made to erect in its



stead a larger building; but, not being able_ to
collect the necessary amount by personal solicita-
tion, a lottery scheme to raise $3,000 was granted
by an Act of Assembly passed in 1807. The cor-
ner-stone was laid in 1811; the final drawings in
the lottery were made in 1813 ; and the church
was consecrated in 1815. In 1857, the building
was remodeled. In 1898 it was destroyed by fire,
a large burning ember from the Wilhelm Bicycle
Works (then on fire) having been blown several
squares and fallen on the roof of the church. Many
devoted members ran to the rescue, but their ef-
forts were futile, because water was not then avail-
able.

St. John's Lutheran Church. — Immediately after
the fire, the members of the Lutheran congrega-
tion purchased the interest of the Reformed con-
gregation in the premises and erected a magnifi-
cent church on the old site, costing upward of
$40,000. In this great and successful undertaking
the pastor. Rev. Harry C. Kline, was particularly
active and persevering, for which he has been high-
ly complimented.

Trinity Reformed Chitrch. — The members of the
Reformed congregation, having separated from the
Lutheran congregation, on account of the destruc-
tion of the church as mentioned, they also exerted
themselves in erecting a modern structure, and in
this they were equally successful. They secured
a lot on Third street at the corner of Pine, and
thereon erected a superior building, costing up-
ward of $30,000.

Roman Catholic Church. — A Roman Catholic
church was erected in 1853 and services were held
in it for nearly fifty years, without a resident
priest. The congregation was at no time large.
The members of this church who continue to re-
side at Hamburg attend services at Port Clinton,
several miles to the north.

Methodist Episcopal Church. — In 1859, Rev. H.
H. Davis began to preach in behalf of establish-
ing a Methodist Episcopal Church at Hamburg.
About a year afterward, a lot was secured and a
brick building was erected on it, which was dedi-
cated on Nov. 29, 1860. It has been improved
several times since. The congregation maintains a
successful organization.

United Evangelical Church. — The Evangelical
Association established a church at Hamburg in
1873 and a congregation was maintained for up-
ward of twenty years. Then the factional distur-
bance in the national association showed itself
here and in the settlement of the legal contro-
versy in 1894 this church became the property of
the United Evangelical Association, and as such it
has been occupied for religious purposes until now.

Schools. — When the Union Church was built
in 1791, provision was made for the education of
the children at Hamburg in the building; and af-
ter a new church was erected in 1815 to take its
place, the first floor was used for school purposes.
The public school system was accepted in 1838.



253 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

In 1854, there were 5 schools and 236 scholars; in E, 4th Regiment, N. G. P.) and those most ac-

1884, 8 schools and 400 scholars; and in 1905, tive in the matter were Monroe M. Dreibelbis

10 schools and 428 scholars. In 1889, the bor- (Captain), Wilson H. Lewars (First Lieutenant),

ough erected a superior three-story brick school Wilson I. Lesher (Second Lieutenant), Mandon

building in the center of a large lot of ground at l_ Machemer (Sergeant), William H. Yeager

the corner of Third and Island streets. (Sergeant), William Bailey and Franklin Sterner.

Public Library. — A public library building was Company E has had its meetings and drilling

erected in 1903 by a committee of prominent men exercises there since its erection. The cost is about

of Hamburg, by reason of a donation of $10,000 $7,000. It adjoins the Carnegie Free Library,
from Andrew Carnegie; and this building was Band of Music. — A band of music has been

named after the donor. It is one-story, built of maintained for upward of thirty years. For a



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 60 of 227)