Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 63 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 63 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was named St. Paul's Chapel. The organization,
under the direction of a board of trustees, has been
carried on successfully until the present time.



Church services are held regularly. A flourishing
Sunday-school is also maintained and heartily en-
couraged by the members.

Cemetery. — In 1867 a large cemetery was laid
out in the place on a lot 231 feet by 769 feet, situate
ed on the main thoroughfare, and it has been made
very attractive.

Schools. — In 1877, the borough erected a fine
two-story brick school building on a large lot of
ground at a cost exceeding $6,000. A superior ad-
dition was built to it in 1908-09, costing $10,000,
with all the modern improvements. The schools
are graded, well managed, and the scholars nurnber
over 500.

TOPTON

Topton is situated along the East Penn railroad,
in Longswamp township, near the line of Maxa-
tawny. It was started with the construction of the
railroad in 1859 and derived its name from its lo-
cation at the highest point on the railroad between
Reading and Allentown. A branch railroad to
Kutztown was opened for travel in 1870, the length
being five miles.

When the railroad was completed in 1859, Top-
ton became a prominent shipping point, more es-
pecially for great quantities of iron ore mined in
that vicinity, and this induced the immediate erec-
tion of a hotel and several business stands. The
coal and lumber yards are patronized extensively
and have developed a large trade.

Incorporation and First Taxables. — (The town
was incorporated into a borough in 1877, and the
following list shows the names of the first taxables :
Bear & Miller Adam J. Lighty

Charles Bear Michael H. Miller

Benjamin C. Bear Lewis Moll

James Butz David Merkel

Henry Butz John H. Miller

Henry C. Bear James Madarey

John Bobst Michael H. Miller

Bear & Merkel Co. Benjamin Raut

Manoah Carl Henry C. Raut

Peter L. Diener Joshua Smith

Tilghman DeLong J. D. Sander

Philip Delong Casper Seyebartyn

William Fenstermacher Abraham Siegfried

Frank Fenstermacher Peter Sterner

Henry M. Freed Eugene Sholl

Peter W. Fisher Llewellyn Shabbel

Fenstermacher, Trexler & Co. Joshua Smith
James George Sallie Siegfried

William M. Hoffman Charles D. Trexler

Abraham Hilbert Daniel Trump

John Hemmig Jonas Trexler

Daniel D. Hinterleiter William Trexler, M. D.

Hilbert Hinterleiter Charles D. Trexler

Hannah Hinterleiter Trexler & Moll

Nathan Heffner Benjamin Wisser

Levi Kunes Esther Zangley

Reuben S. Leibelsperger

Tenants
William Baus Matthias Deckert

Bear, Dieroft & Miller Henry Diener

Samuel Baus Stephen Dankle

Jacob Bechtel Diener & Carl

Bear & DeLong John Delp

Peter C. Conrad Thomas Eck

John Drollinger Josiah Fisher



262 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

Herman Fetterman William F. Kerchner Assessor, Lewis Keller

Wilhelm Frederick James Miller Collector, Charles H Wisler , ^ ^ ^ t, ^ r

Isaac Fegley John J. Reader Auditors, I. R. Madeira, Elwood F. DeLong, Frank J.

John Gamier William Reinhard Fister

Charles A K Grime Thomas Reichelderfer Justices of the Peace, Harvey A. Miller, George E. Moll

David Ge^han William Scheerer Constable, Jacob H. Wisler ■

Joshua Hinterleiter Henry Sox Road Commissioner, Frank Fenstermaker

Jonathan Herring Amentes Sterner JJ'ater Commissioner, John G. Miller

William Halman Jj,^"^}^^ fxT^°^^ Post-Office.— A post-office was established at

Tf7 Hoch""" ™Twi.r'' Topton in 1861. Daniel D. Hinterleiter became the

William Hubert J. S. Ward postmaster in 1897 and he served until his decease.

Single Men when he was succeeded by his widow, and then by

Charles Butz Solon H. Fisher his daughter Hannah, evidencing the satisfactory

Benjamin Carl Jonathan Sterner service to the community rendered by his family.

Henry Ebert Henry Wiser ^ INDUSTRIES.— After the Kutztown branch of rail-

LiST OF Officials. — The following lists show j-q^^ was opened, steps were taken to establish an

the names of the chief burgesses, town clerks and jj-on furnace along the main line, a short distance

justices of the peace since the incorporation of the gag)- gf the junction, and this was put in operation

borough: in 1S71 by a company, of which Isaac McHose, of

CHIEF BURGESSES Reading, was the president. It was operated sev-

Petc-r W Fisher 18''''' I 1891 era! years but then, owing to the panic, suspended.

John Henning 1878-82 The Eckert Brothers at Reading carried it on suc-

S. H. Fisher 1883-86 cessfully for about ten years until the decease of

A. C. S. Herman ^^^^889 Henry S. Eckert ; then it'was purchased by the Em-

TilghmM'^DeLon.^ ' '^'///^y^y^y^y.'.'.'.'■'■'.'.'■'■'.'■'■'.■. AS^O Pire Steel & iron company, which since 1894 has
Charles H. Wisler! 1892 operated it successfully. This was the only prom-
Daniel B. Heist 1893-96 inent industry at the place for upward of twenty

Cyrus Lessig 1897-1900 years. Then the DeLong Furniture Factory was-

w"" e" Ebe" 1903-06 started in 1880, and the Rohrbach Roller Flour Mill

Benjamin E. Biehev' '.'//.'.'.'.'...'...■.■■■.■..■■ ■■.■AQ06-09 in 1885, both of which have been kept in active

James McKeever 1909-12 operation ever since, with their trade extending-

TOWN CLERKS many miles into the surrounding counties. The

E T S Hoch 18"8 store, office and bar fixtures of the former have be-

(Record lost from 1879 to 1888) come very popular for their neatness and durabil-

C. D. Trexler 1888 ity.

F. H. Moyer 1889-93 Since 1900, o-reat improvements have been made

A.- ^1 „ ""'r.'^. lOQi ian=; here in the erection of industrial establishments and

M. H. Brendlinger 1894-1900 in- -n • i ^u • i ^ • i ^i

Charles H Schlenker 1905-1910 hue dwelhngs. Besides the industries named, the

JUSTICEs'oF THE 'peace boTough includes the following :

L F Kuhns 1877-85 Underzvcar Factory, carried on by O. C. Rohr-

E. J.' S. Hoch .'."...! ... '. 1877-83 bach; Silk I\IiU, by the Hartley Manufacturing-

Dr. W.' D. Trexler 1883-89 Company ; Hosicrv Mill, by the " Crown Knitting:

John H Miller • iff-^o Company ; Creamery, by A. S. H eflfner ; Bakcrv.

Daniel H. Heffner 1 sqn 04 by F. A. Trexler ;fo/>ioH Fonndrv and Machine

Cyrus Lessig 1890-94 r// , ,t n /^ r 1 j: - n -n x

D. D. Hinterleiter 1894-99 vv orks (Inc.) (transferred from Bernville) ; two

Harvey A. Miller 1899-1914 lumber and coal yards ; three general stores ; three

Eldridge Zimmerman* 1901-06 hotels.

George E. Moll 1907-13 'pj.jg number of employees in the several industries

BOROUGH OFFICIALS FOR 1909 will indicate the extent of the business affairs in the

Chief Burgess, James McKeever borough in 1909 : Furnace, 100 hands ; DeLong fac-

Town Council, Jacob M. Gery, President tory, 60 ; silk mill, 100 ; hosiery mill, 100 • under-

Idfm h" Folk ^^ "•^^"- "^ill' 30: Topton foundry, 25.
Jeremiah' Titlow In 1907, twenty new dwelling houses were erec-

C. H. Schwartz ted; in 1908, six; and arrangements have been made

Irwin Madeira for erecting twenty in 1909.

William H. Smith William T Fritz has been nneratino- a laro-P anrT

Charles H. Schlenker. Clerk v\ luiam j. rruz nas oeen operating a large ana

School Board, Dr. C. D. Werley successful saddlery for several years, which is

Levi Walbert equipped with the latest machinery for the manu-

Frank Moyer facture of harness, affording constant employment

Jacob Gallmoyer for six hands.

Ew^cJ^lf" Business in mining and shipping iron ore here-

, „ . ■ , , . fl- , T, .u , , .. , ^ is gradually resuming in 1909 after having beem

Resigned upon takinf? office or Prothonotary, to which he was i i r i . r- ^, ^

elected in November, 1906. suspended lor about fifteen years.



BOROUGHS



263



Josiah Fisher carried on the manufacture of
building brick for upward of thirty years until in
the spring of 1909, when the plant was sold to
George Keiser.

Practising physicians at Topton are Dr. C. D.
Werley and Dr. George Pflueger, the former hav-
ing been here upward of twenty years.

The following persons prominent in business at
Reading reside at Topton:

Martin S. Croll and William H. Smith, extensive
wholesale dealers in hats since 1900. Mr. Croll had
been the deputy Internal Revenue collector of the
district comprising Berks county from 1893 to 1899.

James Trexler has been filling the office of stamp
clerk in the Internal Revenue office at Reading since
1900.

Eldridge Zimmerman has been officiating as pro-
thonotary of the county since January, 1907.

National Bank. — A national bank was estab-
lished in the borough in 1885 with a capital of
$50,000, and carried on for several years. A sec-
ond was organized in 1906 with a capital of $35,-
000, and since then Martin S. Croll has been its
president, and Albert H. Smith, cashier. In Nov-
ember, 1908, the total resources were $137,484 ; the
individual deposits, 56,023 ; and time deposits, $25,-
427.

Public Improvements

Water-Works. — In 1893, the borough established
water-works, embracing two reservoirs with a total
capacity of 350,000 gallons, in an elevated situation
one mile south of the place, having secured a large
supply of superior spring water.

The streets are lighted by oil lamps. A fire com-
pany was organized by citizens of the town in Feb-
ruary, 1909, and named the Topton Hose Company.
It has secured a hose carriage with several hundred
feet of hose and over fifty taxpayers have been en-
rolled as members.

Trolley Line. — ^A trolley line of railway is about
being constructed from Lyons to Allentown by way
of Topton and Alburtis.

Auditorium. — In 1905, M. T. Butz erected a
frame auditorium for entertainments. It has a
seating capacity of several hundred, and is well
patronized by church festivals, fairs, lectures and
local institutes.

Churches. — iln 1872, members of the Lutheran
and Reformed denominations residing at Topton
united in erecting a brick church, and the congrega-
tions have been carried on successfully since then,
over 180 of the former having taken communion on
Easter Day, 1909, and over 160 of t'he latter. Ar-
rangements are being made for the erection of a
larger building. The members formerly attended re-
ligious services in churches at Bower's, Mertztown
and Longswamp.

The Evangelical Association organized a congre-
gation in 1885 and caused the erection of a church
in 1886, which has been maintained until now.



Schools. — The borough supports three schools
in a superior two-story brick building. The scholars
number more than one hundred and the annual ex-
penditures exceed $1,200.

Orphans' Home.— In 1897, the Lutheran Church
established a fine home for orphans in an elevated
position a short distance south of Topton, which
has been managed in a very successful manner. It
was started with three inmates; now it has ninety
(49 boys, 41 girls). Annual excursions in the fall
of the year for the benefit of this worthy institution
are very largely patronized. A similar home is
maintained by the Reformer Church at Womelsdorf.
[Mentioned in Ontelaunee Section, Chapter XII.]

LENHARTSVILLE

Incorporation. — Lenhartsville is the second
smallest borough in the county. It is situated along
the Ontelaunee creek in the western end of Green-
wich township, from which it was taken at the
time of its incorporation in 1887. It embraces 48
dwellings, 2 hotels, 3 stores and a blacksmith shop,
with a population of 140, the number having grad-
ually decreased for the last twenty years. The ho-
tels are supplied with superior running spring
water.

The place was named after the Lenhart family
which Settled in the township at this point before
the erection of the county. It has been known by
this name for over a hundred years. The opera-
tion of several large grist-mills in the vicinity gave
it prominence ; and its situation on the "State Road"
(which extends across the northern section of the
county parallel with the Blue Mountains) contrib-
uted toward its importance as a business center.

First Taxables of Borough. — The taxable res-
idents of the borough at the time of its incorpora-
tion were as follows :
Daniel Adam John B. Levan

Daniel Fenstemaker Mrs. George Leiby

James S. Focht Mrs. James Leiby

Mrs. Peter Fister John Miller, Sr.

Malinda Greenawalt Joseph Mattern

Samuel Gehret J. William A. Mattern

George F. Huy John Pfeifly

Henry Hardinger Benjamin Riegelman

Jonathan G. Hinkle John K. Seaman

Frank Kramer Moses Stein

Charles A. Leiby William Waxwood

Allen B. Levan Benjamin Weiss

Fraftcis B. Levan Wilson M. Werley

William B. Levan Mrs. Seth Ziegler

Jacob B. Levan

Tenants



William Adam
Glancy Dry
William Eberly
James Grayham
Frank Hill
Benjamin Leiby
John Miller, Jr.
John W. Reber

Single Men
Clayton Adams Irwin W. Leiby

George De Long i George W. Ziegler

List of Officials. — The following lists comprise
the names of the principal officials who have



Jacob Rhoads
Daniel Reidenaur
Daniel B. Seip
O. G. Yenser
Lafayette Zettelmoyer
Allen Zettelmoyer
Charles D. Ziegler



204



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



served since the incorporation of the borough. On-
ly one justice of the peace has been elected (though
entitled to two as a district), owing to the small-
ness of the place :

CHIEF BURGESSES

George F. Huy 18S7-91

Charles D. Ziegler 1891-92

James S. Focht 1892-95

Charles A. Leiby 1895-98 ; 1902-05 ; 1909-12

Daniel J. Seip 1898-1902

William V. Herring 1905-09

TOWN CLERKS

Oliver G. Yenser 1887-89

Wilson AI. Werlev 1889-91

George F. Hiiv 1891-94

J. Wm. A. Slattern 1894-1905 ; 1907-09

Dr. O. F. Kunkel 1905-07

Dr. L. R. Rothermel 1909-10

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE

James S. Focht 1887-95

J. Wm. A. Mattern 1895-1910

BOROUGH OFFICIALS— 1909

Chief Burgess, Charles A. Leiby

Tozvn Council, William F. Peters, President

Albert Hein, Treasurer

William Wa.xvvood

Benjamin Leiby

.Alfred Balthaser

F. B. Levan

Dr. L. R. Rothermel. Secretary
School Board, Dr. L. R. Rothermel, President

J. William A. Mattern, Secretary

Jacob Levan, Treasurer

Glancy L. Dry

Harvey A. Sarig

Alfred F. Hein
Justice of the Peace, J. William A. Mattern
Constable, C. Clayton C. Adams
Auditors, George F. Huy
Jacob Rhoad
G. Frank Eberly
Assessor, Robert J. Peters
Collector, (Vacant)

Post-Office. — The post-office was established
in 1854, at the furnace store, east of the creek.
When the borough was erected, it was removed to
this place, and since then Glancy L. Dry and John
W. Reber have been the postmasters.

Business. — F. B. Levan has been successfully
and extensively engaged in the general store busi-
ness for upward of twenty years. He is also oper-
ating a creamery and butcher shop.

A. F. Hein for several years has carried on a
wheelwright shop and blacksmith shop. He is also
engaged as a dealer in farming implements.

Stage lines were operated from Lenhartsville to
Strausstown to the west and to Allentown to the
northeast, for upward of twenty years until 1904,
when, on account of the Rural Free Delivery, the
former line was discontinued, and the latter was
limited to Weisenburg.

The Maiden-creek charcoal furnace was erected
in 1854 by George Merkel a short distance east of
the village, and successfully operated for thirty
years, the last proprietor having been Jacob K.
Spang of Reading. When the Berks County rail-



road was constructed along the creek in 1874, the
Lenhartsville station became a busy shipping point.

[Statistics relating to the borough will be found
in Chapter IX.]

Education.— iA school building was established
upon the erection of the borough, and this has been
occupied since for school purposes. But the num-
ber of pupils has been small, being now 33. There
is no church in the place and no factory, the spirit
of manufacturing enterprise never having been en-
couraged by the property holders.

The "Sons of America" (Camp No. 531) organ-
ized here in 1893, and they erected a fine hall for
their meetings, costing $1,400

"Blue Rocks" is a point of interest within two
miles northwest of the town. It comprises a depos-
it of large rocks, blue in appearance from exposure,
which cover an area of thirty acres. The rum-
bling of hidden waters underneath is distinctly aud-
ible. The formation has the appearance of having
been caused by a washout on the hillside many
years ago, and is situated several hundred yards
below the top of the hill.



BECHTELS\TLLE

Incorporation. — The borough of Bechtelsville
was incorporated on Sept. 11, 1890, the boun-
dary lines including 194 acres. The territory was
taken from Washington township. It was named
after the John S. Bechtel famity which has been
prominent in that immediate vicinity from the time
of the first settlements before the erection of the
county. It is situated along the Colebrookdale- rail-
road, three miles beyond Boyertown. The construc-
tion of this railroad in 1869 was the direct cause of
the formation of a considerable settlement at this
point; and the erection of a large iron furnace here
in 1875 also encouraged building operations.

First Taxables. — The first taxables of the bor-
ough were as follows :



Elam Bechtel Est.
Marv Bechtel Est.
EH Bechtel
David H. Bechtel
Oliver Brtmner
James Bechtel
Sarah Bechtel
Jacob Bowman
William Conrad
John Conrad
Allen F. Deysher
Jeremiah Dierolf
Nathaniel Dengler
Mathias Dotterer
Sarah Deysher
Horace Fisher
Walter Fisher
Ezra Frey
Elizabeth Frehn
Henry Geist
William Groff
Henry S. Geist
Henry S. Gilbert
Joseph Heydt
John Hoffman
Jacob F. Heydt



Orlando Haas
William Haas, Sr.
Thomas Hofifman
William F. Knerr
Frank Minner
Thomas R. Miller
Tobias Moyer
Joseph H. Moyer
Jeremiah Moyer
Charles Mover
Henry W. Miller
David Miller
Jacob Moyer
Amelia Moyer
Amanda Morey
Jacob B. Oberholtzer
Amos Oberholtzer
Lizzie Oberholtzer
Henry F. Sheiry
Henry H. Stauffer
Charles E. Stangier
Harrison Schoenly
Daniel Shollenberger
John S. Stauffer
Henry Young



BOROUGHS



265



Tenants ,

Ambrose Ackerman Henry Kehl

David O. Bechtel Daniel Keller

Fremont Borneman George Moser

William Bechtel Henry Miller

Amos Conrad Horace Miller

Nathaniel Erb Samuel Mest

Allen Fretz Joseph Morey

Horace Fisher Jacob L. Reif

James Fronheiser John Reitenauer

Jacob Gottschalk Augustus Reinhart

Reuben Glaes Joseph Reitenauer

Oliver Hoffman William Specht

Henry R. Herb Frank Specht

Henry Houck Anthony Sharp

Jacob Haas Reuben Styer

J. K. Hinkel Lewis Weller

Josiah Hunsberger Irwin Yoder

Single Men

John Kehl David Stangier

Samuel Kehl Samuel Stauffer
Menno wberholtzer ,

In 1906, there were 83 dwellings in the place, and
147 taxables. The total assessed property amounted
to $133,700 ; and the money at interest, $36,365.

List of Officials. — The following persons filled
the positions of chief burgess and justice of the
peace :

CHIEF BURGESSES

Orlando Haas 1891-97

Irvin Yoder 1897-1900

Jacob B. Oberholtzer 1900-03

Guldin G. Yoder .' 1903-06

Jeremiah Dierolf 1906-09

Amos B. Oberholtzer 1909-12

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE

M. H. Dotterer 1891-1907

H. C. Schoenly 1891-93

Frank H. Minner 1893-96

Franklin M. Glaes 1896-1903

William A. Henry 1903-13

Bernard L. Kutz 1907-13

BOROUGH OFFICIALS— 1909
Chief Burgess, Amos B. Oberholtzer
Town Council, Henrv W. Miller, President

George Bartholomew, Treasurer

Orlando Haas

Adam Hess

Reuben Kramer

Henry H. Stauffer

Henry Shirey

Peter Brumbach

Irwin B. Kehs, Secretary
School Board, Jacob F. Moyer, President

Allen Erb, Secretary

James Fronheiser, Treasurer

William A. Henrv

Isaac Moyer

George Bartholomew
Justices of the Peace, William A. Henry

Bernard Kutz
Constable, William M. C. Grofe
Auditors, Abraham Heydt
Charles Hirsch
Assessor, Jacob F. Moyer
Collector, Horace B. Fisher

Post-Office. — The post-office was established in
1852 by the name of Bechtelsville, evidencing that
the place was so known at that time. David Lat-
shaw has been postmaster since 1903. He succeeded
Jacob L. Reiff.



Business. — In April, 1909, the borough contained
the following:

Hotels 2 Tinsmith shop

Stores 2 Shoemaker shop

Hardware store Coal yard

Liveries 2 P'lour and feed store

Millinery store Blacksmith shops 2

Saddlery Painters & paper hangers. .2

Barber shop Tailor

Printing office Restaurant

Butcher shop Physician

The estimated population then was 500 ; dwelling-
houses, 100.

Since the erection of the borough, the streets have
been Hghted at night by oil lamps set on posts.

Pumps are still used for water supply.

Industries. — The oldest industrial plant at Bech-
telsville is the three-story stone grist mill which was
operated as such for upward of seventy years, hav-
ing been started by Alfred Siesholtz. It is equip-
ped with roller process machinery for the manu-
facture of flour. But for the last several years
it has been engaged in chopping feed for the farm-
ers of the vicinity. Previously it had been a prom-
inent oil-mill for many years. It is now operated
by Abraham Heydt (since 19.05), with two hands.

Another chopping-mill is run at the southern
end of the town by Mahlon Reidenauer (since
1901) ; which had previously been a grist-mill
for many years. In connection with this mill, Mr.
Reidenauer established a planing-mill in 1908,
which he has been operating with four hands.

Near this mill, Hen-ry Young started a cream-
ery about 1885 and carried on business extensive-
ly for a number of years. It has been operated
by H. H. Stauffer for about fifteen years.

William Conrad engaged in the undertaking bus-
iness about 1875, and several years afterward es-
tablished a large cabinet-making shop, which he
carried on extensively in the manufacture of fur-
niture. He is still in the business, and also deals
in furniture and household goods.

Fisher Brothers (Walter and Horace) have been
engaged in manufacturing carriages at Bechtels-
ville since 1887. They employ five hands. A
wheelwright shop is also carried on at this plant
for heavy wagons and repairs.

Nathaniel G. Erb started a bakery here in 1886
and since then has developed a large trade which
extends into the surrounding country for many
miles. He manufactures and distributes daily
about a thousand loaves of bread ; also large quan-
tities of cakes and pretzels. He employs nine
hands and requires three delivery teams. During
the summer season he manufactures many tons
of ice-cream and candy for picnics.

Owen Hoffman has carried on a marble yard for
upward of twenty years. He located at- Bechtels-
ville in 1877.

Effinger Erb started a cigar factory in 1908 and
employs two hands. He also manufactures chew-
ing tobacco.



366



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Kutz Knitting Mill.— In 1905 S. Jairus Kutz of
Reading- located at Bechtelsville and started the
manufacture of men's and ladies' hosiery on the
second floor of the tinsmith shop, but his busi-
ness grew so rapidly that he was obliged to put
up a building. In 1907 he erected a fine three-
story cement block factory and equipped it with
machinery. His two sons Calvin J. and Bernard
L. are associated with him, and they are trading
under the name of Kutz Knitting Mill. They em-
ploy from forty to fifty hands.

Dicrolf Orchard. — Jeremiah Dierolf was engaged
in the manufacture of pants at Bechtelsville for
upward of fifteen years until 1905, when his hands
left and entered the hosiery mill. He then direct-
ed his attention to the cultivation of fruit and ber-
ries on a tract of land adjoining the borough and
he has been very successful. He planted upward
of 2,500 trees — apple, peach and plum.

Crusher. — In 1875, a large blast furnace was
erected here at a cost exceeding $150,000, and it
was operated for ten years by the Pottstown Iron
Company and the Gabel Brothers from Pottstown.
Some years afterward it was dismantled and torn
down by the P. & R. R. Co. The large and val-
uable cinder bank induced the erection of a crush-
er plant by Jacob V. R. Hunter and William Kline,
who operated it until 1904, when Mr. Kline be-
came the sole owner, and in 1907 he sold it to the
Ehret Slag Company. The estimated deposit of
cinder there is 100,000 tons, superior for concrete
work.

Church and Schools. — A fine, large, two-
story brick church was erected in 1886 by mem-
bers of the Lutheran and Reformed denominations,
and services have been conducted since. The mem-
bers support a flourishing Sunday-school. The
Lutheran members number 150 ; the Reformed,



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 63 of 227)