Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 64 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 64 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


75.

Two schools are maintained in the borough.
The scholars number 73. A one-story brick build-
ing was erected by the borough in 1890.

Hall. — The Patriotic Order Sons of America,
Camp No. 324, erected a fine three-story cement-
block building. The first and second floors are
occupied for dwelling purposes ; and the third floor
is set apart as the Camp's Hall. An auxiliary camp
meets there also — the Patriotic Order of Ameri-
cans, No. 40, composed of women ; it has upward
of fifty members. The cost of the building was
$6,000.

MOUNT PENN

Incorporation. — Mount Penn was established
as a borough out of a small portion of Lower Al-
sace township on Nov. 7, 1902. The boundary
lines inclose 242 acres, 116 perches. It adjoins
Reading on the southeast.

The place was known as "Dengler's" from 1841
to 1902, having been named after George Den-
gler, Esq., the first prominent citizen of that vicin-
ity ; who, in 1 840, purchased the Keehn tavern



and fifty-six acres of land there and took posses-
sion in 1841. He conducted the tavern several
times himself, altogether about ten years, but the
premises were mostly rented until his decease in
1866. He served in the office of justice of the
peace from 1855 to 1865, and was highly respect-
ed in the community. The tavern was an old-
established stand in 1840, and had been a popular
stopping place for teamsters on their way from
upper sections of the county to Philadelphia with
grain, etc., before the opening of the railroad in
1838.

After the East Reading Street Railway line was
extended to Black Bear and to Stony Greek in
1890, more especially after the opening of Car-
sonia Park, dwelling-houses at this place began
to increase rapidly. When the trolley line to Black
Bear was extended to Birdsboro, the street cars
to that place from Reading proceeded by way of
Mount Penn.

In 1909, the borough included 140 dwellings;
about 400 inhabitants; two churches (Lutheran and
Reformed), two-story brick school building, two
carriage factories, organ factory, paper-sack fac-
tory, coal yard, two hotels, four stores, and a res-
taurant ; there were three painters, a large con-
tractor, and a physician. Many of the houses
are attractive, and one is particularly worthy of
notice, John G. Speidel's, formerly Dr. D. B. D.
Beaver's, erected by Edward S. Kremp, Esq.

The Aulenbach cemetery is situated in the west-
ern section ; also the Antietam filtering beds of
the Reading Water Works. The former was es-
tablished in 1851 ; the latter in 1905.

In 1884, A. F. Reeser and Kendall Brothers
laid out a town, including Dengler's, and named
it "Woodvale." Many lots were sold, and a num-
ber of dwellings were erected, but the name was
not adopted by the public.

A post-office, by the name of "Dengler's," was
established in 1884, and this was continued until
the borough was erected in 1902.

The streets are lighted by arc electric lights un-
der contract with the Metropolitan Electric Com-
pany.

A hose company, with hook and ladder truck,
chemical engine, and modern appliances, was or-
ganized in 1903, and it has eighty members. A
town hall was erected in 1906.

Water Company. — In 1903, the Mt. Penn Sub-
urban Water Company was organized and incor-
porated with a capital of $12,000, for the purpose
of supplying the citizens of Mt. Penn and vicinity
with water for domestic uses and for protection
against fire. The Adams farm, a mile east of Den-
gler's, was secured and there the company estab-
hshed a reservoir with a capacity of 600,000 gal-
lons, and a large dam with a capacity of 3,000,-
000 gallons. Mains were then put down, in length
about six miles. The patrons number 210. The
organizers were Dr. M. L. Bertolette, Martin D.
Hunter, Louis Kraemer, E. D. Nein, and H. S.



BOROUGHS



267



Hinnershitz-T-the first having been the president
of the company, and the second the secretary and
treasurer, since its organization. Pipe lines are
extended to Stony Creek and Black Bear. The
sanitary conditions are superior and highly com-
mended by the State authorities.

First Taxables. — The names of the first taxa-
bles of the borough were as follows:



Charles W. Hinnershitz
William P. Hilbert
Jacob L. Ketterer
Charles O. Levan
Blasius Leightham
Charles H. Longacre
Howard Longacre



George Irvin Longacre
Samuel Nein
Wilson Nein
John Schlegel
Albert Schlegel
Morris Trout
Samuel Texter



Daniel N. Albright
Marguerite Albright
William H. Albright
John D. Barth
Andrew Bernhart Est.
Henry E. Barth
Elizabeth M. Brown
James D. Bady
Catharine Bertolet
Dr. M. L. Bertolette
Julia L. Brown
Dr. Beaver
John H. Clark
David D. Dundore
Howard Deysher
Emma A. Endlich
Henry C. Esterly
John S. Esterly
John R. Folk
Herman Fisher
Annie Griesemer
Elizabeth Glasser
H. S. Hinnershitz
Gregory Heine
George B. Hartman
Christian Hartman
George C. Hartline
L. W. Hinnershitz



Loyal Burkholder
Charles Broodman
Wesley M. Burd-
A. Mason Bright
George T. Brown
Amos Boyer
John W. Barth
Christian Conz
Sarah A. Canfel
Joseph Davis
Jacob Esterly
J. W. Eyrich
Michael Eyrich
George Fox
Jacob Folk
William O. Fry
Daniel D. Gehras
Peter Glasser
Valentine Graeff
Howard E. Gerhard
Edward Howard
Thomas Hartrrian
William Homan
Jacob Hilbert
William Massen
James H. Harner
J. F. M. Koch
Charles A. Keehn
Charles Keffer

Louis Bernhart
Harry Barth
Harry Bitzer
Charles Barth
Harvey Bernhart



Daniel B. Keehn
Peter B. Keehn
John B. Keehn
Emily D. W. Kline
William O. Leinbach
Percival Leinbach
George A. Levan
Henry S. Lutz
Philip Louman
James Longacre
John T. Miller
Irvin Manwiller
J. H. Mohn
David Nein
Jonathan Nein
Elmer E. Palm
Adam Palm
Daniel Q. Reider
Samuel Steiger
Charles R. Seyfert
Mrs. Solomon Stoner
Adam Schlegel
Charles Schlegel
Amos Schlegel
Mrs. Ellen Trout
James Texter
John Zechman
Joseph Zuber

Te7tants

Charles M. Kline
Frank E. Kauffman
Edward Kiebach
Harry Kemp
Harvey Keehn
John Lindemuth
Levi Lessig
Reuben Moyer
Charles Miller
James J. Madeira
Samuel Nein
Milford Nein
Daniel R. Quinter
Charles B. Prutzman
Francis B. Palm
Charles H. Ruppert
George W. Russel
John Rudy
Benjamin E. Rake
Mrs. Sarah S. Reider
Ira J. J. Reber
John J. Scarlet
John Sutters
Alvah O. Schaefifer
Boyd W. Von Neida
G. W. Wagner
Thomas Weidner
Edward Yergey
Charles Youse
Single Men

Frank Clark
Jacob B. Esterly
Harry S. Esterly
George S. Esterlv
James Finerfrock



First Officials. — The first officials were elect-
ed in February, 1903, and their names were as
follows :

Chief Burgess, George C. Hartline
Town Council, John Clark, (3 years)
D. D. Nein (3 years)
Dr. M. L. Bertolette (3 years)
W. O. Leinbach (2 years)
G. A. Levan (2 years)
David D. Dundore (1 year)
J. D. Brady (1 year)
Auditor, I. N. Manwiller
Tax Collector, John R. Folk
School Director, E. W. Hinnershitz (3 years)
Elmer E. Palm (3 years)
John G. Esterly (2 years)
George C. Hartline (2 years)
Samuel Reifsnyder (1 year)
David D. Dundore (1 year)
Judge of Election, Milford Nein
Inspectors, Samuel Nein, Sr.
Peter B. Keehn

In 1906, H. S. Hinnershitz was elected as the sec-
ond chief burgess for a term of three years.

BOROUGH OFFICIALS— 1909
Chief Burgess, George L. Dengler
Town Council, Irvin N. Manwiller
George Hartman
Henry Barth
Henry Esterly
Ira Reber
William Albright
William Leinbach
Town Clerk, George C. Hartline-
School D'irectors, H. S. Beiteman, President
George C. Hartline, Secretary
John Keehn
Mason A. Bright
Edward G. Christian
Albert R. Schlegel
Auditors, Joseph B. Gauter
W. Hinnershitz
R. Tomlinsen
Assessor, John Leedom
Tax Collector, John Folk
Justice of the Peace, George C. Hartline
Constable, Harry Neff

Industries

Carriage Factory. — The first industry at this
place was the carriage factory of Joseph Albright.
He had been engaged in carriage-making at Kutz-
town and Pottsville for some years and removed to
Dengler's about 1867, where he continued in the
business until 1886, when his sons William and
Daniel succeeded him. After being together for
a year, William retired and he then worked at
different places as a journeyman coach-maker for
several years, when he returned to Dengler's. His
father dying then, William became the owner of
the property, and he has since carried on the busi-



268



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ness, manufacturing carriages and light business
wagons and making a specialty of rubber tiring.
When he took the old place, his brother Daniel
established a carriage factory on the opposite side
of the street, and he too has been engaged in the
business until the present time.

Organ Factory. — Samuel Bohler was engaged
in manufacturing pipe-organs at Reading from
1850 to 1890. Elmer Palm learned organ-building
under Bohler and continued with him until his
death when he established a factory at Dengler's,
and here he has been engaged in the business un-
til the present time, manufacturing organs accord-
ing to orders Teceived, for private dwellings and
for churches. His trade is confined almost en-
tirely to Pennsylvania. He employs from six to
ten hands.

Paper Bag Factory. — Wellington Hinnershitz
started the manufacture of paper flour-sacks at
Mt. Penn in 1904 and has continued until the
present time.

Nein Coal Yard.— In 1887, Augustus H. Went-
zel and D. D. Nein established a large coal yard
and a flour, feed and grain business. After con-
ducting them for two years Wentzel retired and
Mr. Nein's brother Joseph D. took his place. Since
then the business has been carried on by them in
a successful manner under the name of Nein
Brothers.

General Store. — Irvin N. Manwiller established
a general store at the place in 1893 and has con-
tinued in business there until the present time.

Building Contractor. — Charles Schlegel located
here in 1903, in the business of ejecting houses,
and has been successfully engaged until now, em-
ploying upward of thirty hands.

Churches. — In 1885, the Trinity Lutheran Con-
gregation of Reading erected a one-story frame
chapel at Dengler's, which was called "Faith,''
and church and Sunday-school services have been
conducted in it until now.

In 1897, many adherents of the Reformed de-
nomination (about thirty in number), who resid-
ed at and near Dengler's, organized a congrega-
tion and erected a fine one-story brick church; and
since then they have held regular services.

School. — The school board of Lower Alsace
township erected a fine, two-story brick school
building at Dengler's in 1898, and when the bor-
ough was established in 1903 it became the prop-
erty of the borough. In 1906 an addition was
made to the building. It has three graded schools
and 130 scholars.

Stony Creek is a flourishing village which ad-
joins Mount Penn on the east. It took its name
from the Stony Creek Mills, which were estab-
lished there in 1864. In April, 1909, it contained
fifty single houses and fifteen double houses, three
stores, wheelwright shop, blacksmith shop, cider-
mill, grist-mill, broom factory, barber shop, and
the Kraemer Woolen Mills ; also a superior two-
story brick school building (erected in 1905),



hotel, bowling-alley, and a hose company for pro-
tection against fire. A beautiful stone chapel has
been maintained since 1900 for Sunday-school pur-
poses. The place is suppHed with water by the
Mt. Penn Suburban Water Company, the pipe
having been laid in 1908. It is the eastern termi-
nus of the East Reading street railway, situated
a short distance from Carsonia Park. Many years
ago, the Burkhart Forge was carried on along the
creek near-by; and afterward, the Feger Paper
Mill. The Antietam Lake, of the Reading Water-
works, whose capacity exceeds 100,000;000 gal-
lons, is situated half a mile to the north. The
growth and improvement of the place are attribut-
able to the influence of the woolen mills. The
estimated population is 400.



WOMELSDORF

The borough of Womelsdorf is situated in the
western section of the county, about a mile from
the line of Lebanon county. The town was laid out
by John Womelsdorf in 1763 and from him it takes
its name. In that year the first house was erected
by Jacob Seltzer; which afterwaid came to be oc-
cupied as a tavern and it has continued as such until
the present time. It is the oldest tavern in the
county. Whilst President Washington was on his
way through Berks county to Carlisle, in 1794, he
stayed over night at this tavern. The town-plan
comprised seventy-five lots. The place was then
called Middletown, because it was situated midway
between Reading and Lebanon, and it was known
by this name for upward of fifty years.

The following list comprises the taxable inhabi-
tants in 1790:



Wm. Bergenhoff
Christian Bricken
Imhoff Benedict
John Bonawitz
George Bodle
Jacob Egle
John Fleisher
John German
Daniel Graeff
Henry Hersh
John Henry-
Christian Miller
Elizabeth Newman



Jacob Pleini
George Rapp
John Rose
George Seidle
Conrad Stouch
John Smith
Jacob Seltzer
Weyrich Seltzer
Maria Sherman
Nichola Saladin
Andrew Saladin
Michael Wolford



Incorporation. — The town was incorporated in-
to a borough in 1833, by an Act of Assembly, and
the taxables assessed that year were as follows:
Adam Anspach Geo. Brownwell (of John)

George Anspach Daniel Claus

William Arnold Est. Conrad Claus

John Arnold Hannah Clark

Jacob Arnold Est. George Conrad

Abraham Arnold Henry Cornwell

George Brownwell Thomas Cox

Lot Benson Elizabeth Deppen

Benjamin Bressler Emanuel Deininger

Joseph D. Biles Isaac Deppen

Magdalena Brownwell Daniel Diehl

John Bennethum Samuel Dechert

David Bennethum Elizabeth Dreon (Tryon)

Michael Bennethum Peter Eckert

James Bryan John Ermcntrout



BOROUGHS



269



Samuel Ermen'trout
Mrs. George Ege (widow)
Abraham Fisher
- George Fry
Henry Fidler
Adam Fidler
William Gries, M. D.
Abraham Guldin
John Goodman
John German
Benjamin German
Mary German
William Hendel
John Haak
William Hoff
Catharine HefBy
Widow Hirsh
John Horn
Thomas Horn
Frederick Herman
Jacob Ilger
Conrad lauch
Leonard lUick
George Keiser
Adam Kalbach
Henry Kendall
Adam Kantner
Valentine Kantner
Esther Krist
Peter Lousdorf
Jonathan Leas
Peter Leininger
William Laucks
Phillip Lippel
Daniel Leininger
John Levengood
Peter Levengood
Jacob Lesher
Henry Moyer
Valentine Miller
George Miller, Jr.
Jacob Miller
Jacob Moyer (Inkpr)
George Martin
Jacob McCally
Francis Moore
John Mountz
Jonathan Mover
John Moyer
Michael Nunemacher
Elizabeth Oswalt
Samuel Petry
William Petry
Michael Petry
Samuel Parson
William Poff

Single
John Aulenbach
Daniel Brady
William Fisher
Daniel Fidler
John Fidler
Henry Kendall
Adam Kantner
Adam Kantner (of Val.)
Reuben Long
Michael Nunemacher
Isaac Petree

Officials. — The following persons have filled
the positions of chief burgess, town clerk and jus-
tice of the peace from the incorporation of the bor-
ough until now.

CHIEF BURGESSES
Lewis Richards 1833



George Parson
William Price
Lewis Richard
Joseph Reutter
Samuel Reifsnyder
John Rees
George Redman
Casper Reed
Henry Reed
John Reber
Frederick Shulze
Conrad Stouch
William, Seivert
Michael Seltzer
Peter Stahl
Catharine Seltzer
John Sallade
Christian Seiverd
Philip Swalm
John Smith, Jr.
Walker Steven
Daniel Smith
George Sallade
Andrew Stouch
Isaac Stouch
John Simon
Daniel Snyder
John Smith, Sr.
Jacob Sallade
George Seltzer
Leonard Seltzer
George Sea
Samuel Shulze
John Schoener
Peter Sholl
Henry Shaner
John Swalm
John Sell
John Smith, Est.
William Sallade
John Schoener
Solomon Sea
John B. Smith
Jacob Shartel
George Von Neida
John Von Neida Est.
John Vanderslice, Esq.
Peter Womelsdorf
Godfrey Wiegerunan
William Witmyer
Solomon Weiser
George Wiegenman
Daniel Womelsdorf
Adam Weber
John Yost

Freemen
John Price
Isaac Reber
Samuel Stahl
Benjamin Seltzer
Samuel Seltzer
Hamilton Stouch
Henry Vanderslice
William Vanderslice
Aaron Weiser
Jabetz W'eiser



John Vanderslice 1834-38

Peter Womelsdorf 1839-43

Henry Kendall ' • 1844-45

George Von Neida 1846

John Miller • • . . 1847-50

James Moore 1851-52 ; 1874

William Bennethum 1853

Joseph Smith 1854

Henry Brinkley 1855 ; 1860

J. A. Claus. 1856

William Anderson 1857

Martin Manderbach 1858-59

Henry H. Manderbach 1861

John G. Keiser 1862

William Smith 1863

E. Penn Smith 1864-65; 1869

William G. Moore 1866 ; 1868

Isaac Y. Kintzer 1867

B. Frank Shortell 1870-71 ; 1879

John A. Matthew 1872

Charles B. Fisher 1873

Michael Kolbach 1875

Jacob A. Wolf 1876

Samuel Mowry 1877

George K. Valentine 1878

Franklin S. Haak 1880-81; 1886-87

Frederick A. Fidler 1882

Simon P. Moyer 1883

Samuel Kurtz 1884

John F. Petree 1885

John W. Petree, Jr 1888-89

Henry Eberly 1890

Thomas L. Reed 1891-94

John M. Smith 1894-97

C. Lewis Kintzer 1897-1900

Franklin Kreitzer 1900

Daniel Bobb 1901-03

Charles J. Good 1903-06

Harry D. Noll ' 1906-09

Dr. Horace F. Livingood 1909-12

TOWN CLERKS

Francis Wessels 1834-43

David Steach 1844-65

Franklin Zerby 1866

Wm. M. Sallade 1867-69 ; 1872

Isaac Y. Kintzer 1870-71 ; 1873-86 ;• 1888-89

John M. Smith 1887

Thomas E. Haak 1890-1901

William W. Lengel 1902-10

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE

William F. Duncan 1829

Frederick Foltz 1829

David Steach 1846-71

Isaac Womelsdorf 1850-76

Isaac Y. Kintzer 1871-86

James Moore 1876-81

John M. Smith 1881-89

Charles B. Kintzer 1886-96 ; 1899-1904

John H. Kintzer 1889-94

Thomas E. Haak 1894-99 ; 1909-14

John J. Sallade 1896-1911

Jacob H. Mays . . : 1904-09

BOROUGH OFFICIALS— 1909
Chief Burgess, Dr. Horace F. Livingood
Town Council, Samuel H. Illig, President

Howard M. Hafer

Stephen Kintzer

Wilson Dundore

Jefferson T. Good

I. C. Christman

Samuel Hoffa

W. W. Lengel, Clerk
Assessor, Adam Lengel
Collector, George Bright



270



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Justices of the Peace, John J. Sallade

Thomas E. Haak
Constable, Jacob Kintzer
School Board, Charles P. Kreitzer

Calvin Christman, Secretary

Rev. Edwin Leinbach, Treasurer

John I. Filler

Thomas Wilhelm

William Moore
Post-Office. — A post-office wa« established here
in 1807. The postmaster since 1897 has been Wal-
lace W. Oberly. Previous postmasters were Charles
Petree, Cyrus Oberly, George Miller, Isaac Miller
and William W. Petree.

Industry. — ^Besides the usual vocations incident
to a country town, some of the inhabitants were en-
gaged in the making of wool hats from the begin-
ning of the place for nearly an hundred years. A
tannery was operated for a longer time, and a gun
factory was a successful enterprise for many years.
The product was shipped by teams to Reading and
Philadelphia. About the time of the opening of the
Lebanon A^alley railroad in 1857, the manufacture
of these articles was gradually discontinued and the
extensive manufacture of cigars was begun, though
these had also been made here and in the vicinity
for a while in limited quantities. Unfortunately for
the borough, the route of the railroad was selected
a mile to the south because of an alleged indifference
of certain capitalists at Womelsdorf to encourage
the enterprise by subscribing for the stock; hence
industrial shops were not developed from that time
for about forty years. The articles now produced
which are worthy of special mention are cigars, ci-
gar-boxes and hosiery.

Cigars. — !A. S. Valentine began the manufacture
of cigars in a modest way in 1852, and within thirty
years he had become one of the largest manufac-
turers in the county with trading relations extend-
ing throughout the Middle and Western States.
He died in 1899. His son, George, succeeded him ;
and he has kept up the business in a very success-
ful manner until the present time. He also operates
a large plant at Philadelphia. In 1900, a grandson,
Roy Valentine, became associated in the business
with his father, retaining the old name of A. S.
Valentine & Son ; hands employed, from 125 to 150.
Henry F. Fidler started in 1880 and continued
until 1903, when he retired from the business, then
transferring it to his sons, Plarry I. and Edgar G.,
and his nephew, John I., who have been trading
since under the name of H. F. Fidler & Co. They
employ 75 hands and manufacture annually three
million cigars.

In 1891 Henry D. Hackman began making cigars
in limited quantities. In 1906 he employed from
40 to 50 hands and produced over 1,500,000 cigars,
all hand-made, Havana filled; which were disposed
of at retail in Pennsylvania, New York and New
Jersey. His several bra-nds are very popular.

Other manufacturers who have started business
more recently are George Moyer, Christman Broth-
ers, E. A. Schenk, Claude Taylor, and Charles M.
Petree.



Cigar-boxes. — In 1890, M. S. Weidman started
a cigar-box factory with 4 hands and produced 500
boxes weekly. In 1892, S. P. Moyer became a part-
ner and he continued in the firm until 1905, when
Mr. Weidman's brother took his place and they have
since been trading as Weidman Brothers. In 1906
they employed 30 hands and produced weekly 10,-
000 boxes. In 1905, they estabHshed an additional
factory at Sinking Spring, with 15 hands, and a
weekly capacity of 5,000 boxes.

Hosiery. — In 1900 Darius H. Hiester and John
D. Horst began the manufacture of hosiery. In
1906, they employed 25 hands and produced daily
115 dozen, which they shipped directly from^ the
factory to all parts of the country upon orders
received through their office in New York City.
In 1907, Wilson Dundore and William Dundore
became the owners and have since carried on the
business under the name of Dundore & Dundore.

J. J. J. Moyer carried on this business for up-
ward of twenty years until his death, in March,
1909, when he was succeeded by his son-in-law,
Howard V. Fitler.

Creamery. — Frank N. Moyer, of New Berlin-
ville, established a creamery in the eastern part of
Womelsdorf about 1890, and it has been carried
on since by different owners ; since 1902 by Wilson
Degler. Three hands are employed.

General Business. — In April, 1909, the following
business places were carried on at Womelsdorf :

General stores 4 Blacksmith shops 3

Hardware store 1 Printing office 1

Flour and feed store 1 Ice houses 2

Leather store 1 Hotels 4

Agricultural implement Restaurant 1

store 1 Printing office 1

Liquor stores 3 Barber shops 3

Wheelwright shops 3

Bank. — In 1903, a bank was established in the
place with a capital of $50,000, under the name
of Womelsdorf Union Bank (State). The presi-
dent from the start has been John M. Schonour.
A superior and attractive building was erected
as the place for the transaction of its business, in-
cluding a fire-proof and burglar-proof vault. In
November, 1908, the resources were $405,985 ; the
deposits, $316,598; the surplus, $35,159.

Public Enterprises

Turnpike. — The first public enterprise here was
the construction of the Berks and Dauphin turn-
pike through the town in 1817; and this has been
maintained until now.

Canal. — The next was the extension of the Un-
ion canal along the Tulpehodcen creek about a mile
north of the town in 182S; and this was carried
on successftilly for forty years, when its traffic be-
gan to decline on account of the Lebanon Valley
railroad, which was constructed in 1857 through
Heidelberg township a mile south of the town.

Trolley _ Line. — A trolley line of street railway
was supplied in 1894, having been constructed along
the turnpike from Reading. Upon its completion



BOROUGHS



271



the passenger traffic was almost wholly transferred
to it from the railroad on account of the inconven-
ience in reaching the railroad station. A car-barn
was established at the western end of the bor-
ough.

Water Supply. — ^A water company was organized
and incorporated in 1895. The water was at first
secured from the Manderbach spring, near the
Orphans' Home, and pumped into a reservoir in
the northern section of the town near the Union
church. This supply was used several years, then
a larger reservoir was established in the "gorge"
of the South Mountain, east of Newmanstown ;
whence the town has since been supplied by grav-
ity with flowing water taken from springs and runs
on the mountain. Peter D. Wanner was president
of the company until 1900, and he was succeeded
by Martin D. Filbert.

This company began to supply the residents of
Robesonia with water in 1904, and of Sheridan



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 64 of 227)