Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 75 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 75 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Secretary, Jacob M. Gery, Topton, Pa.
Assistant Secretary, Charles O. F. Treichler, East Green-
ville, Pa.

Corresponding Secretary, Milton M. Gery, Zionsville, Pa.
Financial Secretary, William B. Moll, Seisholtzville, Pa.
Treasurer, Michael N. Gery, Hereford, Pa.

Grim. — The Grim family of eastern Pennsylvania
was founded by three brothers, natives of Wurtem-
berg, Germany. Gideon Grim, also known and
name written as Gitti and Egidius Grimm, was the
first to emigrate, landing in Pennsylvania in 1738.
His brothers Henry and Jacob followed in 1730.

Gideon Grim located in Macungie township, Le-
high county, at a point where Macungie and Weis-
enburg townships, in Lehigh county, meet Maxa-
tawny township in Berks county. Here he owned
1,000 acres of land, which was situated in the three
townships mentioned. It is supposed that he sold
part of this land to his brothers, who reared large
families. Gideon Grim crossed the ocean on the
same vessel in which the noted pioneer minister of
the Lutheran Church, Rev. John Casper Stover,
came to this country.

The Grim family is of patrician origin and long
seated in Normandy. One branch established itself
in Alsace, whence "Egidus Grimm" came because
of religious persecution and as the result of reading
an English book containing fabulous accounts of
the New World. An interesting circumstance at-
taches to this family from the fact that an ancient
pedigree, tracing the family back to a Norman baron
who lived in the days of William the Conqueror,
was brought by the emigrant to America.

The first Grim family reunion was held at Han-
cock, this county, in 1897, at which time the connec-
tion numbered over one thousand souls. The reg-
ular annual reunions in 1907 and in 1908 were held
at Kutztown Park, both well patronized. Prof. Geo.
A. Grim, superintendent of schools in Northampton
county, Pa., delivered an historical address at the
last gathering. The organization has succeeded in
discovering a considerable number of records.
Miss Anna M. Grim, of Allentown, Pa., as secre-
tary, deserves commendation for her efforts in
establishing a family tree.

Most of the Grims in Berks county live in Maxa-
tawny and Greenwich townships and in Kutztown.
Grimville, a village in Greenwich township, perpet-
uates the family name. It contains a store, hotel,
tannery, church and school. The village was
founded by "Col." Daniel Grim, locallv known as



FAMILY REUNIONS



317



"Der Hellwedder Grim." He was colonel of the mil-
itia of his district.

The officers of the Grim reunion are :

President, J. Peter Grim, Allentown, Pa.

First Vice-President, A. S. Grim, Allentown, Pa.

Second Vice-President, A. B. Grim, Allentown, Pa.

Secretary, Anna M. Grim, Allentown, Pa.

Treasurer, C. R. Grim, Monterey, Pa.

Executive Committee, Stanley Grim,

Oscar S. Grim,

Dr. Charles E. Grim,

William H. Grim,

Charles A. Grim,

Jacob L. Grim,

Harry E. Grim,
Walter J. Grim,

William A. Grim.

Hafer. — The Hafer family held its first re-
union at Carsonia Park, Reading, in 1908. Much
interest was manifested. It traces its history
to Mathias Hafer, or Hoefer. He was a German,
and emigrated in 1773 to Pennsylvania, locating in
what is now Ruscombmanor township, Berks county.
He first settled in Alsace township, and was married
to Julia Schmid. They had eight children, viz. :
John, Matthias, George, Benjamin, Isaac, Daniel,
Henry and Maria. This is a long-lived family. The
early Hafers were strong, robust people. The fam-
ily is mostly settled in Reading, and the townships
to the east of Reading, including Alsace, Exeter
and Oley.

Mr. E. E. Hafer, photographer, Reading, is the

president of the permanent reunion committee, and

^much credit is due him for the interest taken in

tracing the early history. The list of officers, all

from Reading, is as follows :

President, E. E. Hafer.
First Vice-President, Adam E. Hafer.
Sedond Vice-President, George M. Hafer.
Corresponding Secretary, Samuel G. Hafer.
Recording Secretary, William M. Hafer.
Treasurer, Samuel L. Hafer.

Heffner. — Descendants of Heinrich Haeffner
(Heiifner) in 1901 celebrated the 15Sd anniversary
of his landing in America at Moselem Church in
Berks county. Heinrich Haeffner was a son of An-
draes Haeffner, of Eberstadt, Germany. His wife,
Maria Eva Kelchner, bore him six children, namely :
John Henry, Hans Georg, Eva Catharine, Elizabeth,
Eva Magdalene and Catharine.

James S. Heffner, Esq., of Kutztown, was the
president of the anniversary ceremonies.

Prof. George H. Heffner, son of George, son of
Jacob, son of Hans Georg, in 1886 wrote a complete
genealogy entitled "Heffner Records." This was
the first history compiled of an upper Berks county
family, and its influence upon other families, to
trace their forebears, was most valuable. Professor
Heffner rendered a service to posterity. His un-
selfish life has endeared him to the people of Berks
county, among whom he lived and labored as
teacher.

The pioneer Heffner came to America in 1749.
The family is mostly scattered in the upper part of
Berks county, and about Kutztown and Virginville.



Heinly. — The Heinly Family Association was
organized in August, 1898. Its members are the
descendants of David Heinly, who emigrated from
the Duchy ,of Wurtemberg, Germany, sailing in the
ship "Patience," Hugh Steel, Captain, and landing
in Philadelphia Sept. 19, 1749. On July 31, 1774,
he received from Thomas and John Penn, sons of
William Penn, a patent for about 300 acres, now
ir Greenwich township, Berks county, a portion of
which land is still owned by his descendants.

The original ancestor lies buried in Dunkel's
Church cemetery, about three miles from Virgin-
ville, and the original tombstone of sandstone still
remains, in a fair state of preservation. On the
obverse side the following appears, in German with
English letters: "Hir ligd Dafid Heinle, 1st ge-
boren 1728 den 17 Ockdober und gestorben den
3rd Ockdober, 1784-." On the reverse side appears
the following from an old German hymn published
in the "Leipsiger Gesangbuch," written in 1638 :

"Die Krone des Gerechdigkeid
1st mein schmuck und ehrenkleid,
Damid will ich for Got bestehen,
Wan ich werd in himmel eingehen.''

On Aug. 15, 1903, the descendants erected a mem-
orial to their first ancestor, adjacent to the old tomb-
stone. It consists of a granite base rough hewn
and a granite top in the shape' of a large book
with old-fashioned clasps, on the open pages of
which appear the following inscriptions :

On the left-hand page —

"In memory of

David Heinly,

Born October 17, 1728.

Died October 12, 1784.

Emigrated from Germany in 1749."

On the right-hand page^

"Erected by his descendants, to their

First American Ancestor,

August 15, 1903,

at the

Fifth Annual Heinly Family Reunion.''

The Family Reunion was first held along the
banks of the Maiden creek on the original home-
stead, but latterly at Kutztown Park, Kutztown,
Pa. It is held annually in August, and attended
by from 400 to 500 descendants. The Association
was organized mainly through the efforts of
David Heinly, fonnerly of Albany township, lat-
terly of Kutztown, who was its treasurer until his
death in 1907. A complete Family Record has
been compiled. .

The present officers of the Association are as fol-
lows :

President, David L. Heinly, Reading, Pa.

First Vice-President, G. Henry Heinly, Blandon, Pa.

Second Vice-President, Chas. H. Heinley, East Texas, Pa.

Third Vice-President, Henry Heinly, Schnecksville, Pa.

Secretary, Harvey F. Heinly, Reading, Pa.

Assistant Secretaries, Calvin H. Adam, Fleetwood, Pa.,
Charles H. Heinly, Klinesville, Pa.,
Titus Heinly, Reading Pa.,
Phares S. Heller, Allentown, Pa.

Treasurer, Prof. Charles B. Heinly, York, Pa.



318



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Executive Committee, William Heinly, Manatawny, Pa.,
Enoch Heinly, Virginville, Pa.,
Samuel D. Heinly, Reading, Pa.,
John W. Adam, Fleetwood, Pa.,
Jarius Heffner, Kutztown, Pa.
Historian, Samuel G. Heinly, Reading, Pa.
Director of AiiMsements, William O. Heinly, Ham-
burg, Pa.

KiSTLEE. — The Kistler family is numerous in
Albany and Greenwich townships, Berks county,
and especially in the upper end of Lehigh county.
The family traces its ancestry to George Kistler,
called Jorg or Hanjorg (that is, Hans Jorg) — ^John
George Kistler. He was from the Palatinate. In
1737 he came to the New World, and located in the
Falkner Swamp, or Goshenhoppen, Montgomery
Co., Pa. No doubt he brought his wife, Anna
Dorothy, and his oldest children with him from
Germany. In 1747 he settled in Albany township,
Berks county. He died in 1767 and is buried at the
New Jerusalem Church, in Albany township,
where many of his descendants are buried. He
left nine children, as follows: Jacob, John, Samuel,
George, Philip, Michael, Barbara, Dorotha and Eliz-
abeth. Nearly all of these moved to Lynn township,
Lehigh county. Like the seed of Abraham of old,
they multiplied, and soon populated the fine valley
extending from Kempton, in Berks, to Lynnville, in
Lehigh county, a distance of six miles. This valley
is called Kistlers Valley.

John Kistler, son of the pioneer, in 1768, lived in
Albany, and it appears remained on the homestead.
He had sons, John William, born 1757, and Abra-
ham, born 1761, The Kistlers have intermarried
with the Dietrichs, Fetherolfs, Brobsts, and other
old families of that section.

The family has been holding successful reunions
since 1899. It held the fifth annual meeting at
Neffsville, Pa., in 1904. The officers of the associa-
tion, besides an executive committee of eleven mem-
bers, are:

President, Henry D. Kistler.
I'icc-Prcsidcnt, Edwin D. Kistler.
Corresponding Secretary, Dr. W. P. Kistler.
Recording Secretary, Elmer C. Kistler.
Assistant Secretary, P. VV. Kistler.
Treasurer, C. K. Kistler.

Kline. — The Elder Georg Klein Association
was formed at Reading, Pa., in 1904, for the pur-
pose of raising funds to erect a fitting memorial in
honor of the ancestor after whom the association
was named, and to properly care for a much neg-
lected private graveyard where Elder Georg Klein,
with others, is buried. The second meeting was
held in 1906, at West Hamburg. The officers of
the association are :

President, David R. Kline, Allentown, Pa.

Secretary, William B. Kline, Berks, Pa.

Assistant Secretary, A. S. Kline, Upper Bern, Pa.

Treasurer, Newton Kline, Pottstown, Pa.

Executive Conwiittce. C. K. Whitner, Reading, Pa.,
F. F_. Kline, Reading, Pa.,
A. K. Kline. Reading, Pa.,
Dr. John K. Seaman, Rdg., Pa.
Dr. Warren Kline, Lebanon, Pa.



Improvement Committee, Jerome I. Kline, Reading, Pa.,
C. K. Whitner, Reading, Pa.,
A. K. Kline, Reading, Pa.,
A. S. Kline, Upper Bern, Pa.

Elder Georg Klein was born at Zweibriicken,
South Germany, Oct. 9, 1715, immigrated to America
in 1738, and located at Amwell, N. J. Becoming
acquainted with the Brethren of the Dunkard
Church, in 1739 he was baptized in that faith at
Amwell, and soon after was chosen an assistant in
the ministry. In 1750 he moved to North-kill on
the Tulpehocken, in Berks county, and there took
charge of "North-kill Meeting House." He is buried
in upper Berks. He left a number of children,
whose descendants are very numerous.

Krick. — The descendants of Frantz Krick and
his wife Catharine were organized into a reunion by
Rev. Thomas H. Krick, in 1907, when the first meet-
ing was held at Sinking Spring; the second was
also held there, in August, 1908. This is one of
the earliest and largest families of the Tulpehocken
Valley, Berks county. Rev. Thomas H. Krick,
a minister of the Reformed Church, now sta-
tioned at Coplay, Pa., spent considerable time
and money in ascertaining the true history of the
progenitor, Frantz Krick, who came to America
from Germany in 1731, and about that time located
in Spring, then a part of Cumru township. He
reared a large family, thirteen children, and his
descendants are numerous in Berks county., The
ancestral homestead has remained in the family
name to this date. Tradition states that Frantz
Krick obtained his land from the Indians.

The Krick family is exceedingly patriotic and it
has had members serving in every war fought
in this country. John, Frantz, Adam, Peter and
Jacob Krick, sons of the pioneer, fought in the
Revolutionary war. In the War of 1812 were Fran-
cis and Peter Krick. In the Civil war seventeen
members of the family participated. In the Spanish
war there were four members of the family.

The officers of the Krick Family Association are :

President, Daniel Krick, Robesonia, Pa.

Vice-Presidents, William F. Krick, Sinking Spring, Pa.,
Daniel B. Krick, Sinking Spring, Pa.,
Benjamin K. Hunsicker, Wernersville,

Pa.,
Isaac Krick, Sinking Spring, Pa.,
Daniel H. Krick, Ephrata, Pa.,
George Krick, Hamburg, Pa

Secretary, Rev. Thomas H. Krick, Coplay, Pa.

Treasurer, William F. High, Reading, Pa.

Historian, Rev. Thomas H. Krick, Coplay, Pa.

Levengood (Liven good, Livingood). The first
reunion of the Levengood family was held in the
fall of 1906 to celebrate the ninety-third birthday
anniversary of its oldest living member, !Adam
Levengood, and the gathering took place at the
home of his son, Jacob S. Levengood, in Oley, near
Friedensburg. The second and third meetings were
held at the same place, the third on September 7,
1908, and the fourth is to be held in Friedensburg
Park on Labor Day. 1909. The venerable man in



FAMILY REUNIONS



319



whose honor the first meeting was held was present
at the second and third meetings also, well preserved
and hearty. The organization was decided upon at
the first gathering. , In 1908 the following officers
were elected:

President, David D. Livingood, Pottstown, Pa.
Vice-Presidents, William Livingood, Pottstown, Pa.,
John Stitzer, Reading, Pa.,
Casper Livingood, Birdsboro, Pa.,
James Eck, Reading, Pa.,
Abner Livingood, Millersville, Pa.,
Jacob Livingood, Elverson, Pa,
Secretary, Howard M. Livengood, Birdsboro, Pa.
Assistant Secretary, Oscar Levengood, Gilbertsville, Pa.
Treasurer, Jacob S. Levengood, Oley, Pa.
Historian, Howard M. Livengood, Birdsboro, Pa.
Assistant Historians, John Stitzer, Reading, Pa.,

Irwin Livingood, Pottstown, Pa.
Executive Committee, Adam Livingood, Birdsboro, Pa.,
Jacob S. Levengood, Oley, Pa.,
Elsworth Spohn, Oley, Pa.,
Monroe Shive, Reading, Pa.

After the business meeting the assembly, which
included about two hundred and fifty representatives
of the family, was addressed by ex-Representative
Jacob R. Herzog and by Mr. Howard M. Liven-
good.

The Levengood family traces its ancestry back
to Ulrich and Susanna Liebenguth, who came to
America from the Palatinate about 1733, in the ship
"Charming Betsy," landing at Philadelphia, Oct.
12, 1733. At that time he was forty-five years old,
his wife thirty-six. He was a man of sterling quali-
ties, and his descendants belong to the best of the
sturdy Pen/isylvania German element in their sec-
tion. Many of those who bear the name have made
a reputation in the learned professions, and they are
generally known for the substantial qualities that
distinguished the early representatives of the family.

Ulrich and Susanna Liebenguth brought five chil-
dren with them : Peter, aged sixteen ; Adam, aged
thirteen; Jacob, aged ten; Maria, aged, eight; and
Anna, aged five. From Philadelphia the family
proceeded to New Hanover township, where they
settled.

Jacob, third son of the emigrant ancestors, was
born in Alsace, Germany, and was the progenitor
of the Levengood family of which this article treats.
He died April 1, 1804, and his remains are interred
in the cemetery adjoining the Swamp Reformed
Church. He had one son, Matthias, who married
Catharine Shuster, and they had five children.

Adam Levengood is the father of four sons:
Jacob S., at whose home the first three reunions
were held ; James, of Elverson, Pa. ; Solomon, of
Joanna Heights, Pa.; and Adam, of Friedensburg.

LuDWiG. — The Ludwig family traces its origin
to Michael Ludwig, who came from the Rhenish
Palatinate to Oley township in 1733. He was a
Pietist. The early generations in St. Gaul, Switzer-
land, were profound scholars and a number were
ministers.

The Ludwigs in Berk§ county are numerous.
They held their first reunion in 1903, and the seventh
in 1908, at Friedensburg. They have been a cor-



porate body since 1908. The historian of the family,
the late Isaac W. Guldin (1834-1907), traced the
family to Bohemia, in 1536. The forerunners of the
Oley township branch in 1700 were seated at Dres-
den, Germany. Mr. Guldin worked faithfully for
years to establish the ancestral history. He was
eminently successful. In 1905 he collected his rec-
ords, in type-written form, in a book. The officers
of the organization are:

President, David V. R. Ludwig.
Vice-Presidents, Jacob D. Ludwig,

Wilson P. Ludwig.
Secretary, Dr. J. Harry Ludwig.
Treasurer, Eli V. R. Ludwig.
Board of Directors, Jerome Ludwig,

George S. Ludwig,

Mrs. Edwin Rhoads,
.Mrs. Alex. B. Earhart,

Cyrus D. Moser.

LuTZ. — In Albany township is an old family by
the name of Lutz whose ancestors were Frederick
and Jacob Lutz. The latter, was a resident in the
district as early as 1754. His descendants, who
are quite numerous about Kempton and Steinsville,
hold annual gatherings. The elaborate dinners and
suppers are a feature at these reunions. The last
reunion was held at Kempton in 1908. The officers
are :

President, John C. Lutz.
Vice-President, James S. Lutz.
Secretary, Frank E. Lutz.
Treasurer, Allen Lutz.

Reedy. — The first reunion of the Reedy family of
Berks and Lebanon counties was held in 1908, near
Millbach, Lebanon Co., Pa. Jonathan B. Reedy,
aged seventy-three years, is one of the leading spir-
its in the movement to have regular annual gather-
ings. No regular officers have been elected thus
far. -t>A

William Reedy, father of Jonathan B., married
Maria Bensing and they had five children, namely:
George, Annie (m. Henry Engelhart), Catharine
(m. Jonathan Strauss), Samuel and Jonathan B.,
the last named only surviving.

RiTTEE. — The. Ritter family, which is numerous
in Berks county and also in the adjoining county
of Lehigh, where the town Rittersville perpetuates
the name, dates back to the middle of the eighteenth
century. This family has been holding annual re-
unions since 1898. The last was held in Dorney's
Park, Allentown, in 1908. The meetings are well
attended. A history of the family is expected in
book form for distribution at the eleventh reunion,
in 1909. The ancestry is traced to Casper, Martin
and Philip Ritter, who were German Palatinates.
Their descendants are numerous and scattered over
eastern Pennsylvania.

Exeter township, in Berks county, was the home
of the Ritters of this section. There, in 1754, lived
George Ritter, and in 1759 Francis (also mentioned
in documents as Ferdinand) Ritter was one of the
largest taxpayers in the township. He owned
much land below Jacksonwald, where the old Rit-



32Q



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ter graveyard is located along the Oley Valley trol-
ley line.

Francis or Ferdinand Ritter, born in 1741, died in
1825. His children were Daniel, John, Jacob and
Samuel. John was a representative in Congress
from Berks county, refusing a third nomination to
that office.

Tradition says the pioneer Ritter obtained his land
originally from the Indians. Some of this tract is
still is the family. The ancestor Ritter, the father
of George and Ferdinand, tradition says was mar-
ried to an Indian woman, who was buried on the
farm owned by Daniel Ritter, later by Benjamin
Ritter and now by Charles Breneiser, of Read-
ing. The officers in 1908 of the Ritter Family were :

President, H. S. Ritter, AUentown, Pa.
Vice-President, J. R. Ritter, Reading, Pa.
Recording Secretary, I. J. Ritter, AUentown, Pa.
Secretary, M. T. Ritter. Northampton, Pa.
Treasurer, Mrs. Edw. Diefenderfer, Catasauqua, Pa.
Committees, Historical,

Program,

Ways and Means,

Executive.

RoHRBACH. — The descendants of John Rohrbach,
who emigrated to America about the middle of the
eighteenth century, and settled in Berks county, in
the territory now embraced in District township,
held a reunion at Hancock Park in 1908. A
committee of arrangements, a history committee,
and a committee on program were appointed and
the following officers were elected :

President, D. R. Rohrbach, Williamstown, N. J.
Vice-President, Frederick Rohrbach, AUentown, Pa.
Secretary, W. B. Rohrbach, Macuiigie, Pa.

The ancestor had sons Lawrence and John, Jr.
The family is quite numerous in the eastern end
of the county, where the first of the name settled.
The ancestral homestead is still in the family.

Saul. — ^Samuel Saul,, who came to this country
in 1716, was a native of Alsace-Lorraine. After
some years in America he returned to his native
land and remained about one year with his family.
He came to America a second time, expecting to
prepare a home for the family, who were to follow.
He died, and his wife, not hearing from him, de-
cided to follow him to the New World, making the
journey with her three children, Johann Nicholas,
Leonard and Christian, in 1753. They located at
or near Pottstown, Pa., and Johann Nicholas Saul
there made his permanent home. Leonard moved
to Maxatawny township, Berks county; and Chris-
tian settled in Lancaster county at what is now Lin-
glestown, Dauphin county. Each of the sons reared
a large family, and owned his own home.

Johann Nicholas Saul, born Dec. 16, 1726,
died Aug. 14, 1795, and is buried at the Swamp
Church. In 1766 a son, Nicholas, was born to hiir..
In 1792 the latter married Rosina Hartman, of Dis-
trict township, Berks county. Nicholas Saul was
first taxed in Douglass township, Berks county.
In 1779 he moved to West District township, Berks



county. He was a rake-maker. He and his wife
had these six children: Salome, Samuel, John,
Jacob, Hannah and Esther. Nicholas Saul .diedin
1823, aged fifty-six years. His wife, Rosina, died
in 1843, aged eighty years. After their death their
son, Jacob, built a house, in 1844, upon the home-
stead where he lived and died, his death occurring
in 1890, when he was aged eighty-eight years.
His children were: Mary, Nicholas, Daniel,
Catharine, Jacob, Franklin, Sanah, Lydia, Theresa
and Thomas. John Saul, son of Nicholas, died on
the homestead in 1867, aged sixty-eight years. He
had: Wilham, Daniel, John, Jacob, Elizabeth, Si-
mon, Elias, Sarah Ann and Ephraim.

Salome, daughter of Nicholas, married Jacob
Rothermel and had ten children. Hannah, daughter
of Nicholas, married John Rubright; no issue.
Esther, daughter of Nicholas, married Peter Roth-
ermel and had eight children. Samuel, the eldest
child of Nicholas, was in the United States navy,
and was never married.

The Saul family held its first reunion in 1902
and the sixth in 1908, at Pendora Park, Reading.
It has successful reunions, and has collected
considerable data, to be published in a private his-
tory. The officers of this reunion are :

President, Rev. J. Elmer Saul, Norristown, Pa.

Vice-Presidents, Samuel H. Fegley, Reading, Pa.,
Dr. Charles K. Saul, Steelton, Pa.,
F. K. Miller, Reading, Pa.

Secretary, Jacob I. Saul, Pottsville, Pa.

Treasurer, Elias G. Saul.

ScH.vEFFER. — 'George Schaefifer, the pioneer of
the Schaefifers, came to this country from the Ger-
man Palatinate, in August, 1750, and settled in
Richmond township, this county, soon after his
landing. His wife was Catharine Reib. They had
the following five children: Elizabeth, the eldest,
married John Bieber ; Margaret, the next eldest,
married Dewald Bieber; Maria married IMichael
Christman; Peter was the next and Philip, who
married Elizabeth Fetherolf, was the youngest of
the family and remained upon the homestead near
Fleetwood. He had eight sons and four daughters,
all of whom were well-formed, large and strong.
Father Schaefifer died in 1792 and is buried in a
private burial-ground on the farm where he lived
and died.

The family held its first reunion in 1903, and the
second in 1906, both in Kutztown Park. They
were well attended. At both meetings D. Nicholas
SchaefTer, Esq., of Reading, delivered an historical
address on the pioneer Schaefifer. The second ad-
dress was published in the December, 1906, number
of "The Pennsylvania German." At the first re-
union Rev. Dr. N. C. Schaefifer, superintendent of
public instruction of Pennsylvania, delivered an ad-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 75 of 227)