Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 85 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 85 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


filling a position which his father had filled for many
years.

Louis Kraemer, the father, was born at Berleberg, in
the province of Westphalia, Germany, on Jan. 2, 1828,
and was brought up and educated in that place.
He learned the trade of dyeing at Barmen on the Rhine
river, a prominent textile manufacturing town. Upon
completing a thorough apprenticeship, he emigrated to
Pennsylvania in 1848, while still under age, and located
at Manayunk, where he secured the position of dyer in
the manufacturing plant of Joseph Ripka. He remained
at this place three years, and then went to Norwich, Conn.,
to assume charge of two large dyeing establishments, one
at that city and the other at Greeneville, an adjoining town.
After continuing there nearly fifteen years, he vis-
ited Reading, Pa., and becoming favorably impresseidl
with this growing city as a promising center, he selected
a site for a mill on the Antietam Creek, at a point three
miles east from Reading. In 1864 they commenced mak-
ing woolen goods under the name of Kraemer, Schaefer
& Co. In 1879 the company was re-organized under the
name of Louis Kraemer & Co., and the works have been
operated under this name ever since. This industry
has been very successful for over forty years, the goods
manufactured obtaining a high reputation, and being ship-
ped to all parts of the United States. Quite naturally
a thriving settlement was formed in the vicinity of the
plant by its employes, and this came to be known as
Stony Creek, comprising nearly fifty dwellings, and a
population exceeding 200. The leading spirit in the com-
munity was the founder of the plant which supports
the people, all of whom respected him highly for his
simple but noble nature and true Christian character
His love of people under and about him and the reciprocity
between them was "as admirable as it was appreciable.
Mr. Kraemer, the father, was married in 1852 to Cath-
erine Pfeil, daughter of John Pfeil, of Westphalia. They
were the parents of four children, of whom the son
named is the only survivor. They w.ere members of St.
Paul's Memorial Reformed Church of Reading, being
among the first members at its organization, when they
withdrew from the First Reformed Church. The wife
died in 1872, and the husband in 1903.

During the last twenty-five years of his life Mr. Krae-
mer made several trips across the ocean, giving special
attention to Switzerland and Germany, for which coun-
tries he had a strong affection. The establishing of
"Textile," a promising industrial suburban town (since
absorbed by Wyomissing), a mile west of Reading by
young German manufacturers from Barmen on the Rhine,
is directly attributable to his great success and influence.

SAMUEL BELL, clerk of the United States Circuit
court at Philadelphia, for thirty-seven years, was born
at Reading, Berks county, April 25, 1827. He was edu-
cated in private schools and at Yale College until his
eighteenth year, when he went to Philadelphia to engage
in the wholesale dry goods business. He served as a
salesman until 1851, and then became a partner of B.
A. Knight, trading under the name of Knight & Bell, for
a number of ■■•er'-s.

When the Civil war broke out, Mr. Bell enlisted and
served three months. Afterward he acted as one of
the commissioners to conduct the draft at Philadelphia:
and he served as paymaster in the United States Regu-
lar Army bv the appointment of President Lincoln. In
February, 1865, he was elected a member of the Union



League, and he has been prominently identified with this
influential organization until the present time. , He be-
came a member of the Meade Post, G. A. R., at Philadel-
phia, in 1868, and of the Loyal Legion in 1874, retaining
his membership until now. He was elected as a member
of the First City Troop of Cavalry at Philadelphia in
1851, and he is now the oldest surviving member of this
popular and historic military society.

In 1870 Mr. Bell was appointed by Judge McKenna as
the clerk of the United States Circuit court for the
Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and he filled this im-
portant office with great success for thirty-seven years,
resigning Jan. 1, 1907, on account of his age. He was
appointed United States Commissioner at Philadelphia
in 1874, and he is still serving this office, notwithstand-
ing his advanced years. He was elected a member _ of
the board of school controllers, and filled the position
by re-election for twenty-seven years, officiating as pres-
ident of the board for twenty-two years.

His father was the Hon. Samuel Bell, merchant at
Reading and associate judge of the courts of Berks coun-
ty. He was born at Reading in 1797. For many years
until his decease in 1863 he was a prominent member
of the First Presbyterian Church. • He married Louisa
Bowman, daughter of Jacob Bowman, of Brownsville,
Pa., and their children were : Mary Greer, Jacob B.,
Samuel (above). Sterling, Goodloe B., Arthur G., James
Lowrie, Mary Louisa and William Arthur.

His grandfather was William Bell, born in Ireland in
1763. He emigrated in 1791, and settled at Reading, Pa.,
where he was successfully engaged in the dry goods
business and the manufacture of flour in several grist-
mills for many years, until his decease in 1838. He mar-
ried Mary Greer, also born in Ireland, daughter of Ar-
thur Greer, and they had an only child, Samuel.

DR. CHARLES MECK SELTZER, physician at Phil-
adelphia for thirty years, was born at . Philadelphia March
7, 1857. He received his preliminary education in private
schools and in the Eastburn Academy, which he attend-
ed until 1875, when he took up the study of medicine
in the University of Pennsylvania, graduating and re-
ceiving his diploma in. 1878. He traveled abroad for a
year, attending the hospitals in England, France, Italy
and Germany, and upon his return was appointed resi-
dent physician of the Episcopal Hospital, which position
he filled successfully for two years ; afterward he at-
tended the hospital as visiting surgeon from 1881 to 1887.
In his private practice he was associated with Dr. Horace
Y. Evans from 1883 to 1885, but since 1885 has been ac-
tively engaged in practice by himself. For fifteen years
he lectured on Anatomy, Physiology and Hygiene in the
Eastburn Academy and during the year 1894 he filled the
position of professor of Hygiene in the Medico-Chirur-
gical College. During his first ten years of private prac-
tice he was visiting physician and surgeon to numerous
institutions, including the Charity Hospital, Northern
Home, • Odd Fellows Home, Angora Home, and several
others. Since 1895 he has been acting as the supervis-
ing medical ex.aminer of the Travelers Insurance Com-
pany of Hartford, at Philadelphia, with many physicians
under him. Of late years Dr. Seltzer has gradually been
withdrawing from active practice of medicine and de-
voting his time and energies to matters of hygiene — es-
pecially to the production of pure milk and scientific agri-
culture, also to the disposal of the waste of large cities,
particularly garbage and its reduction to sanitary by-pro-
ducts.

In 1885 he was married to Emilv Stulb, daughter of
Joseph Stulb, of Philadelphia, and thev have a daughter,
Mary Louise. His father was Franklin Peter Seltzer
(cousin of Jonathan F. Seltzer, whose sketch appears in
this publication), born at Womelsdorf in 1823. When he
was a bov six years old his parents removed West, driv-
ing all the way ai-'d settling at Crestline, in Ohio, where
thev were amontr <-he first settlers. He was educated there
and remained i" that vicinity at farming until 1845, when
he went to Philadelphia and entered a wholesale grocery



350



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



store as a clerk, where' he continued until 1847. He
then formed a partnership with his cousin, Jacob Sheetz,
for conducting a wholesale grocery and liquor business,
and they were partners for fifteen years. Their store
was at Third and Callowhill streets. In 1863 he became
the sole owner and he continued at the same stand with
increasing success until 1873, when he removed to a larg-
er and more central property. No. 1017 Market street,
which he had purchased. At this stand he became still
more successful, with .his trading relations extending
throughout Pennsylvania and into the adjoining States;
and he continued actively engaged until his decease in
1886, having been identified with the mercantile life of
Philadelphia for forty years. He was largely interested
for twenty years, in the "Continental Hotel," then the
leading hotel of Philadelphia, and at his decease he was
succeeded by his son Charles, who became president of
the board of managers and officiated until 1903. He was
married to Louisa Meek, a daughter of Isaac Meek, of
Liverpool, in Perry county. Pa., and they had eleven
children: Charles M. ; Anna Maria, married to Dr. Hen-
ry A. Smith; Alice Louise; Susan May, married to John
H. Zebley; Henry Fister, married to Margaret Moore;
Ralph Edgar, married to Helen Thomas; Elizabeth
Maud ; Walter Harold, who died in 1905, aged twenty-
six years; and three who died in infancy.

Dr. Seltzer's grandfather was David Seltzer, born in
Heidelberg township, Berks county, at Womelsdorf, and
he assisted his father at farming until 1829, when he mov-
ed with his family to Ohio. He was married to Elizabeth
Sheetz, while at home, and they had five children, in-
cluding a son Franklin Peter. Upon his first wife's death
he married Margaret Kuntz, by whom he had two chil-
dren, and after her decease he married a third wife, whose
name was Kuhn. [For antecedents see sketch of J. R.
Seltzer, in this publication.]

COL. NICHOLAS LOTZ was born Feb. 20, 1740, and
emigrated to Pennsylvania when a young man. He first
settled in the western section of the county, and there
married a young woman by the name of Meyer. Some
time previous to the Revolution he located at Reading,
and became the owner of the two mills at the mouth of
the Wyomissing Creek, which he conducted very success-
fully. When the struggle for independence began, he was
prominently identified with the patriotic movements at
Reading. He served as one of the ten delegates from
Berks county to the Provincial Conference, which assem-
bled at Philadelphia in June, 1776, and upon his return
home, he took, an active part in the enlistment of men.
He was commissioned a Lieutenant-colonel, and partici-
pated in the movement of the "Flying Camp" from Phil-
adelphia to New York, where he was engaged in the bat-
tle of Long Island and taken prisoner. He was admit-
ted to parole within certain bounds on April 16, 1777, and
exchanged on September 10, 1779. In 1780 he was ap-
pointed commissioner of Forage, and whilst serving this
appointment he purchased a large amount of supplies for
the army, consisting of flour,, oats, cattle, sheep, etc. A
receipt book of his still extant in 1893, shows receipts
for money paid out from Aug. 12, 1780, to Dec. 5, 1781,
aggregating $202,033. He advanced large sums of mon-
ey from his own purse for the government, but unfortu-
nately was never fully repaid.

Colonel Lotz represented Berks county in the Genera!
Assembly from 1784 to 1786, and again from 1790 to 1794 ;
and he filled the appointment of associate judge of the
county from 1795 to 1806, having succeeded Colonel Jo-
seph Hiester in that office. He died Nov. 29, 1807. He
left to survive him, eight children, seven sons — Philip,
Nicholas, Jacob, John, Henry. Michael, and William — and
one daughter — Rosa (m. John Yeager). His remains
were buried in the grave yard of the First Reformed
Church at Reading, and from thence removed to the
Charles Evans' Cemetery. He was a man of splendid
physique, well proportioned, six feet three inches tall,
and weighed about three hundred pounds.



In 1794 Gen. Washington, then President of the United
States, visited Reading while on his way to Carlisle. Col.
Lotz was at the head of a party of prominent men who
arranged a military parade in honor of Washington.
The latter reviewed the parade from a second story win-
dow of Federal Inn, the building now occupied by the
Farmers' Bank.

Philip Lotz was the son of Col. Nicholas. His fam-
ily Bible is in an excellent state of preservation, and
the entries were made by himself. We copy these
entries : My father, Nicholas Lotz, died on Nov. 29, 1807,
aged 67 years, 9 months and 8 days. My dearest wife,
Catharina Lotz, died March 13, 1821, aged 41 years and
14 days. His marriage record is as follows : April 16,
1797, Philip Lotz and Catharina Rapp were married. Phil-
ip Lotz had eleven children. The oldest was William,
born April 4, 1799j who resided many years at No. 213 North
Sixth street, Reading, and who aided largely in erecting
the present St. John's Reformed church. Next to the
youngest child was Mary, the late widow of Peres Hain,
a well-known member of St. Paul's church. She was
confirmed by Rev. William Pauli in the First church in
1834, soon after its erection.

The Bible mentioned above is the property of Daniel
Miller, author of "History of the Reformed Church in
Reading," who also is the happy possessor of a large
volume in German, which was the property of Col. Nich-
olas Lotz. It is a book of sermons which explain the
Apostles' Creed, the Lord's Prayer and the catechism.
It was published in Jena in 16.58. Col. Lotz gave this
book to his son John. On the fly leaf in the beginning
of the book is this transfer : "This book belongs to John
Lotz after my death. Witness my hand, written on the
twenty-third day of November, 1806. Nicholas Lotz."
On Jan. 18, 1808, John Lotz transferred the book to his
brother Philip Lotz.

The descendants of Col. Nicholas Lotz are numer-
ous in Reading. Mrs. Hoflfman, wife of the late Rev.
Henry Hoffman, was a great-grandchild. Mr. Chas. K.
Snell, present secretary of the First church consistory, is
a great-great-grandson.

GARRICK MALLERY, fourth President Judge of
Berks county, was a native of Massachusetts. After ob-
taining a preliminary education, he entered Yale College
and was graduated in 1809. He soon afterward became
principal of an academy at Wilkes Barre. While occupy-
ing that position he engaged in the study of law, and was
admitted to the Bar about 1812. Being well-adapted by
nature to the legal profession, he added to his efficiency
by diligent study, and soon acquired a practice which
extended over a large portion of northern Pennsyl-
vania. In 1825 he was elected a member of the House
of Representatives, and during his legislative career
was instrumental in securing the enactment of certain
bills which led to the great improvement of the North
Branch region. In 1832, Governor Wolf appointed him
president judge of the Third Judicial District, then com-
posed of Berks, Northampton and Lehigh counties, and he
served the appointment for three years. The Hon. William
Strong, of the Supreme court of the United States, was
married to a daughter.

ELIJAH BULL was for about thirty years one of the
important figures in the commercial world of Reading.
He was probably best known in his connection with the
Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co., of which firm
he was a member for over thirty years before his retire-
ment, thereafter continuing to serve as director until
his death. Other business interests which made him
prominent in the city were his association with the Nation-
al Union Bank, the Building and Loan Association and
the Reading Hospital. Mr. Bull was regarded with
particular esteem as the architect of his own fortunes,
for he rose to a position of distinction from ordinary
circumstances.

Mr. Bull was born Jan. 20, 1835, at Springfield, Ches-
ter Co., Pa., son of Thomas and Sarah A. (Painter)



BIOGRAPHICAL



351



Bull, and grandson of Elijah Bull, the latter a native
of Chester county, where he spent all his life. He owned
and operated large tracts of farm land. He was mus-
tered into the volunteer service of this war of 1812, but
before the detachment of which he was a member reach-
ed the front the war had been brought to a close. .

Thomas Bull, father of Elijah, was born in Spring-
field, Chester county, May 23, 1802, and there received
his education. He was reared to farming which he fol-
lowed in his native county until the spring of 1846,- when
he moved to Pottsville, Pa. There he took up the voca-
tion of a blacksmith, but he died within a short time
thereafter June 13, 1847. He married Sarah A. Painter,
and they had five children: Margaret m. Levi Buckwal-
ter, of Spring City, Chester Co., Pa.; Charles, late of
Reading, was a stove mounter, engaged in the works of
Orr, Painter & Co.; Elizabeth died in childhood; Elijah;
and Mary m. the late B. p. Graff. Mr. Bull m. (second)
Maria Cryley, and to them were born two children, name-
ly: Susan, m. to Reuben Rishel; and Thomas, who re-
sides in St. Louis, Missouri.

Elijah Bull received a good education in the public
schools of Chester county. Going to Philadelphia, he
learned the trade of a stove molder, and there followed
that occupation until he was thrown out of employment
by the closing of the works on account of the panic of
1857. Thereafter until 1864 he worked part of the year
at his trade, teaching school in Chester county during
the winter months. In 1864 he began teaching in Ma-
hanoy City, where he continued three years, during which
time he became superintendent of the schools. On Jan.
1, 1867, he became a member of the firm of Orr, Paint-
er & Co., manufacturers of stoves, hoUowware and fine
castings. In February, 1886, the firm was incorporated
as the Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co. Soon
after becoming a member of the firm Mr. Bull assumed
charge of the shipping department, and discharged the
duties of that position with fidelity until the death of
Mr. Orr, in June, 1892. when he was made treasurer
of the company. The latter position he retained until
1898, when he retired from active participation in the af-
fairs of the company, though he continued to hold stock
and serve as a member of the board of directors. The
extent of the business done by this concern may be judged
from the fact that over four hundred workmen were em-
ployed in the various departments, engaged in molding,
casting, grinding, cleaning, grinding and polishing, nickel-
plating, finishing and mounting. Four branches are con-
ducted — in Chicago, Boston, Buffalo and Philadelphia,
representing thousands upon thousands of stoves made
and sold annually. Mr. Bull was a director of the Nation-
al Union Bank of Reading, and a member of the Build-
ing & Loan Association. He never took any active part
in public matters, his business duties having occupied all
his time and attention., He was a member of the board
of managers of the Reading Hospital, and liberal and
generous along lines of true philanthropy. Mr. Bull
was a member of the Memorial M. E. Church of Read-
in, and was at one time president of its board of trus-
tees. He joined the Odd Fellows in 185-, affiliating with
Welcome Lodge, No. 229, of Philadelphia, and was also
a member of Mt. Penn Lodge, Knights of Pythias. He
enlisted for emergency service during the Civil war in
the 42d regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

On Dec. 31, 1867, Mr. Bull married Mary A. Amole,
whose father, George Amole, of Chester county, Pa., was
born Oct. 12, 1802. and died Feb. 20, 1876. He was a
farmer by vocation, and always resided in Chester coun-
ty. ■ Mr. Bull died Jan. 18, 1900, and his wife survived
until Sept. 18, 1903. Their only child, Edna Marguerite,
was' married May 13, 1905, to Henry C. Keast, a native
of Michigan, born Sept. 34, 1882, son of Charles and An-
na E. (Eustice) Keast, both of whom were born in Corn-
wall, England. Mr. and Mrs. Keast have one child, Ken-
neth E., born Aug. 7, 1906.

Mr. Keast came to Reading in childhood and received
his education in the public schools and the Interstate
Commercial College. For some time he was chief pack-



er for C. K. Whitner & Co.. leaving them in 1902 to en-
ter the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company,
with which he has since remained. He is chief clerk
to Mr. A. H. Kline, the Chief Inspector of Lumber of the
Pennsylvania Railroad. He is a Republican in poli-
tics.

NATHANIEL POTTS HOBART was born in Phil-
adelphia Oct. 3, 1790, read law in the office of John
C. Smith, and was admitted to the Bar of his native
city; removed to Pottstown, where he was appointed
justice of the peace by Gov. Simon Snyder; joined Capt.
Daniel De B. Keim's company of Washington Blues in
August, 1814; marched with it to Camp Depont, and there
joined the 1st Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers
Oct. 7, 1814, and served as fourth sergeant of the com-
pany until Dec. 5th of the same year, when they re-
turned to Reading; admitted an attorney of the Berks
County bar Jan. 3, 1818; was clerk in the prothonotary"s
office, under John Adams, for several years ; was as-
sistant clerk in the House of Representatives at Harris-
burg, under chief clerk Francis R. Shunk. In 1827 Gov-
ernor Shulze appointed him clerk of the Orphans' court
and court of Quarter Sessions of Berks county, which
positions he held until 1830, when he removed to Potts-
town. In 1826 he was appointed auditor-general of Penn-
sylvania by Governor Ritner, and held the office for
three years. He resided at Pottstown from 1830 until
his death July 3, 1860. He married April 18,' 1813, Jo-
anna Holland, and their children were: John Potts (who
became an attorney in Pottsville), Sarah P., Eliza R.,
Anna Sophia, Robert H., Nathaniel B., William R. and
Ellen G. Hobart.

EDWARD BURD was a practising attorney at Read-
ing, having been admitted to practice in the courts of
Berks county in 1772. He removed to Reading from
Lancaster. When the company of Capt. George Nagel
marched to Cambridge, in Massachusetts, during July
and August, 1775, Burd was one of a number of de-
voted and patriotic sons who went along at their own
expense; and when the "Flying Camp" was raised he
was chosen major of Haller's regiment. In the Battle
of Long Island, in August, 1776, he was taken prisoner,
and while imprisoned addressed a letter to Hon. Jasper
Yeates, at Lancaster. On August 12, 1778, he was ap-
pointed prothonotary of the Supreme court, and he con-
tinued to officiate in this position by re-appointment until
Jan. 2, 1800. His autograph is reproduced herewith :




JOHN SILVIS ERMENTROUT, second County Super-
intendent of Public Schools of Berks county (eldest son
of William and Justina Silvis Ermentrout), was born at
Womelsdorf, Berks county, Sept. 27, 1827. When he was
two years old his parents removed to Reading, and there he
was reared. Developing a great aptitude for study, he
was sent to Marshall College, Mercersburg, Pa., from
which he was graduated in 1845, the first honor man of
his class, though not yet eighteen years of age. He re-
mained in the college as a tutor, teaching the languages
and lecturing on history. At the same time he was a
student of the Theological Seminary connected with the
institution, and from this seminary he was graduated
in 1848, and then ordained as a minister of the Reformed
Church.

For a time he was editor of the Reformed Messenger.
In 1852 he was installed pastor of the Reformed Church
at Norristown, Pa., where he served for six years. He
returned to Reading in 1859, and opened a select school.
One year afterward he was elected superintendent of the
common schools, and he was twice re-elected, ■ serving
from 1860 to 1869. In 1865 he was active in founding the
Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, became its



353



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



first principal, and continued as such until 1871, when
he resigned, preparatory to making a public profession
of his faith in the Roman Catholic Church, and removed
to Baltimore, where he edited a Catholic journal. Sub-
sequently he taught in the St. Charles Borromeo Semmary
at Overbrook, near Philadelphia.

In 1873, by the unanimous action of the board of
trustees of the Keystone State Normal School, he was re-
called to that institution, and he filled the chair of Mental
and Moral Science and English Literature, until his death
in 1881. The vast influence he exerted in educational
matters can hardly be overestimated, and the institution
which he promoted at Kutztown will always constitute an
enduring monument to his memory.

JONATHAN JONES was a son of David Jones, one
of the earliest settlers of Caernarvon township, Berks



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 85 of 227)