Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 88 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 88 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Exeter, near Monocacy, and in 1830 purchased a small
plant established along the Antietara creek near where the
St. Lawrence Mills are located, which he operated until 1842
when he sold the property and business to his two oldest
sons, William and Jacob. He died in 1873, aged ninety-four
years. He was married twice : first to Dorothy Bar (born
1788, died 1822), and second to Susanna Gumbert (born
1795, died 1836), and had eight children, viz.. Lydia m.
John Wagner; William; Jacob m. Sarah Kline; Lewis m.
Elizabeth Ann Tea ; Catharine m. William Levan ; Louisa
m. Moore John; Rebecca m. William Levan; and Daniel m.
Lydia DeGonr, living at Covington, Kentucky.

Mr. Brumbach's wife's father, Solomon Dunkel, was a
farmer of Exeter. He married Elizabeth Althouse, of
Bern township, and they had children : Sarah Ann ; Amel-
ia m. Amos Dick: Mary m. John Hoyer ; Caroline m.
Henry Egolf : Miss Elizabeth; Morgan died 1858; KiHan
m.. Mary Messinger ; David, and James.

ADAM B. DUNDOR, M. D., a retired physician and
surgeon of Reading, Pa., was born in North Heidelberg,
Berks county. May 17, 1838, son of Isaac Dundor, and a
member of the fifth generation from the emigrant ancestor
who came from Alsace-Lorraine to Philadelphia in 1741.
The family is of French Huguenot stock, and the name
was originally spelled Dundeur.

Jacob Dundor, founder of the Dundor family in Am-
erica, was born July :25, 1720, son of Miguel Dundeur, who
never came to America. Jacob Dundor made the voyage
to America in 1741, sailing on the ship "Friendship." He
located in Bern township, Berks Co., Pa., where he died
May 20, 1789, leaving a widow, Anna Maria (Brecht)
Dundor, and children as follows : Maria C, Susannah,
John, Michael, John Jacob and Catherine E.

John Jacob Dundor, son of Jacob, and great-great-
grandfather of Dr. Adam B., married Marguerite Brown,
by whom the following children were born : Jacob, John
A., Christian, John (2) and Margaret.

Jacob Dundor, son of John J., died Dec. 12, 1828, leaving
a son, Jacob, Jr.

Jacob Dundor, Jr.. married Elizabeth lOopp, born Nov.
28, 1788, died Dec. 19, 1843. They were the parents of
these children : Isaac, born March 10, 1809, and died Jan.
35, 1873; Jacob; Samuel K. ; Catherine; Eliza; Caroline;
Sarah, and Lydia. Jacob Dundor, Jr., and his wife arc
both interred in North Heidelberg cemetery. They were
devoted members of the Reformed Church. Mr. Dundor
was a Democrat. He was a prosperous farmer and owned
valuable lands in North Heidelberg township, continuing
to follow agricultural pursuits during his long and useful
life.

Isaac Dundor, son of Jacob, Jr., and father of Dr.
Adam B., was educated in the schools of his native town-
ship, and was reared to agricultural pursuits. He retired
from active life and located in Reading several years be-
fore his death, which occurred Jan. 25, 1873. Mr. Dundor
married Elizabeth Bucks, daughter of John Bucks, and
she died in 1890, aged seventy-nine years, the mother of
two children : Jonathan, born March 8, 1833, died April
33, 1S66; and Adam B.

Adam B. Dundor received the rudiments of his educa-
tion in the schools of North Heidelberg township, and
later took an advanced course at Fremont Academy,
Chester county, still later entering Freeland Academy



(now Ursinus College), subsequently taking a classical
course at Franklin and Marshall College, at Lancaster,
graduating therefrom in 1862. While there he reeistered
as medical student under the preceptorship of Dr. William
Moore, of Womelsdorf, and remained with him two years,
during which time he qualified to enter Jefferson Medical
College, of Philadelphia. Taking one course here Dr.
Dundor then took a special course at Long Island Col-
lege Hospital, at Brooklyn, N. Y., and received the degree
of M. D. in the summer of 1863. Later Dr. Dundor re-
turned to Jefferson Medical College, and received the
degree of M. D. there in the spring of 1864. The year
following in regular course he received the degree of A. M.
from Franklin and Marshall College. The Doctor located
in Robesonia in 1864, remaining there until 1867, when
he decided to make the city of Reading his field of practice,
where he has continued to reside since. He first opened
an office on Franklin street where he remained three years,
and then removed to his present fine home, in which he
maintained an office until he retired from practice in 1896.
There never has been any doubt as to his ability or stand-
ing in the profession, as from the very beginning of his
active career he has been successful in diagnosis and in
treatment, and he has had the unbounded admiration and
esteem of his fellow practitioners. From 1870 to 1873
he was physician to the Berks County Almshouse and
Hospital, and from 1873 to 1877 prison physician. In
1883 he became a member of the board of health, from
which on account of failing health he was compelled to
resign in 1902, after serving nine years as its president.
Dr. Dundor has made a careful study of hygiene and
sanitation, and he has had the ideal physician's sense of
duty in looking after the health of the people. As a mem-
ber of the board of health his work has, indeed, been
colossal, and more than that, it has been of such a nature
as to bear good fruit. The nearly perfect system of vac-
cination was the result of his labors. As "a member of
the committee on Preventable Diseases and School Hy-
giene, he personally looked after this work, visited and
thoroughly inspected every room in every school building
in the city, together with the heating, ventilation and
plumbing of the buildings, the furniture of the rooms,
location of black-boards, in fact every thing in any way
affecting the health of the pupils. In most complete
tabulated form the records of his work were presented to
the board, while his report suggesting needed changes, etc.,
was one of the most practical and sensible ever handed
in by a city official anywhere. When he retired from the
presidency of the Berks County Medical Society, Jan.
8. 1895, his address was on the subject of School Hygiene,
and so complete was it in detail, so perfect in its entire
conception, that it should be carefully studied by the build-
ing committees of school, boards all over the country.
This address is a plea for the health and happiness of
future generations, an appeal to common sense, and is of
so high a standard of excellence — the outcome of the
scientific investigations of a conscientious scientist, looking
for the greatest good of all the people, which in itself is
the loftiest type of patriotic endeavor — that it is worthy
the dignity of a State document to be printed and spread
broadcast among all people. He has been a great friend
of education and no man in the State of Pennsylvania has
worked harder in the cause of the child and the student
than has Dr. Adam B. Dundor.

Dr. Dundor was married in 1864 to Emma R. Kalbach,
daughter of Isaac Kalbach, and five children were born of
this union, two of whom died in infancy. The children
survivmg childhood were: Henrv I., who died in 1876;
Lizzie R., who died in 1876 ; and Eleanora R. In religious
belief the family are members of the Reformed Church.
The Doctor is a member of Chandler Lodge, No. 237,
F. & A. M. ; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M. ; Read-
ing Commandery, No. 42, K. T. ; Rajah Temple, A. A. O.
N. AI. S., and Friendship Lodge, K. P., of Reading. His
profession connects him with the Berks County Medical
Society, the Pennsylvania Medical Association, the Ameri-
can Medical Association, and the .American Academy of



BIOGRAPHICAL



35?



Medicine. He was also a member of the American Acad-
emy of Political and Social Science.

Dr. Dundor is a very talented writer, and his works
are well read and widely known. Among his works may
be found : "A Plea for Old Standard Remedies" ; "Sanita-
tion and Sanitarians"; "Rheumatisnt ; Epilepsy and Treat-
ment by Bromide of Potash"; "Cocaine Intoxication and
Its Dangers, Moral Pollution and Sanitation"; and the
"Old and New Obstetrician."

HENRY VAN REED, first additional law judge of
Berks county in 1869, was born Aug. 31, 1831, in Cumru
(now Spring) township. His grandfather, John Van Reed,
settled there about the time of the Revolution, and his
father was born there in 1786. He was educated at Read-
ing, Lititz, Lafayette College and Dickinson College,
graduating from the last named institution in 1843. Upon
returning home he selected the law as his profession, and
pursued a regular course of legal study in the office of
David F. Gordon, Esq., afterward president judge of this
judicial district. On April 5, 1844, he was admitted to the
Bar, and soon established a large and lucrative practice,
which he continued for twenty years.

In 1851 he made a trip to California, visiting his brothers,
who had gone thither some years previously. In April,
1869, the State Legislature authorized the qualified electors
of Berks county to elect an additional law judge. At that
time the Governor was a Republican in politics, and hav-
ing been authorized to appoint a suitable person to act as
such judge till one should be elected, he appointed Mr. Van
Reed to this position on July 13, 1869. The appointment
was given to him without any solicitation on his part. He
occupied his seat on the Bench and discharged his duties
in a superior manner till Dec. 6, 1869, when his successor
was qualified. Subsequently, from Jan. 1'2, 1875, till Jan. 2,
1876, he again filled the same office by appointment from
the Governor to supply a vacancy caused by the promotion
of the then incumbent to the office of- president judge.
Judge Van Reed represented this district as one of the
delegates to the Constitutional Convention which was held
in 1872 and 1873.

During the progress of the Civil War, he was an ardent
supporter of the national administration in every way, and
his strong patriotic feelings impelled him to express him-
self in the most positive manner in favor of prosecuting
the war. When the State of Pennsylvania was threatened
with an invasion by the Rebels, in September, 1862, he
enlisted with a large number of the most prominent men
of Reading, in Company G, of the 2d Regiment of the
Pennsylvania Volunteers, commanded by Captain F. S.
Bickley. This company was marched to and beyond the
State line and performed military service for eleven days
when it was discharged. During the excitement through-
out the State, owing to the battle of Gettysburg, in the
beginning of July, 1863, he enlisted again in Company C,
42nd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia, and acted
as a sergeant. This regiment was composed entirely of
Berks county companies. It was under the command of
Col. Charles H. Hunter and continued in service from July
6th to August 12th.

Judge Van Reed died June 30, 1885, after an illness of
several years. He married Catharine Gernant, daughter
of George Gernant. She died Jan. 13, 1883. They had
two children : George and Anna. >

SAMUEL F. MILLER, Associate Justice of the Supreme
Court of the United States, was born at Richmond, Ky.,
in 1816. He was appointed by President Lincoln in 1862,
and came to be an authority on constitutional law next
to Marshall. His father was born at Reading, Pa., and
had removed to Kentucky shortly before 1816, where he
engaged in farming.

GEORGE DE BENNEVILLE KEIM, a prominent mer-
chant, politioian and official of Philadelphia, was born at
Reading, Berks Co., Pa., Jan. 18, 1831, a son of John May
arid Harriet (de Benneville) Keim.



John May Keim was a prominent hardware merchant
at Reading for many years. He married Harriet de Benne-
ville, and they had six children, namely: Ellen, who mar-
ried John Wickersham ; Mary, who married Isaac Lathrop ;
Esther, who married Leonard Myers ; George de Benne-
ville; Anna, who married Amos Michener; and John May.
[For other data see the publication entitled "Keim and
Allied Families" which was compiled by de B. Randolph
Keim.]

After receiving a thorough education at Reading and
at "China Hall," in Bucks county, Mr. Keim engaged in
a general hardware business at Reading until 1882, when
he went to Philadelphia and entered the hardware store of
Rufus Smith, on Commerce street, east of Fourth. After
continuing with him for seven years he started in the sad-
dlery hardware business for himself, at Third and Race
streets, which he carried on until 1872; then he organizedl
the firm of Keim, Kennedy & Co., which did business
successfully until 1876, when the name was changed to
Geo. de B. Keim, .Ltd., & Co. and so continued for nearly
twenty years. In 1871 Mr. Keim became the owner of the
Coleman Bolt Works, and operated the plant for a number
of years. He was also identified for some years with the
Union Banking Company, as a director, and with the
Citizens' Bank as president.

Immediately after locating in Philadelphia Mr. Keim
identified himself with the Republican organization in that
city and for thirty years took an active part in local
politics. In 1880 he was . chosen one of the Presidential
electors for Pennsylvania,- and he cast his vote for James
A. Garfield. In 1882 he was placed on the Republican
ticket for sheriflf and was elected, notwithstanding opposi-
tion led by the powerful combination of the "committee
of 100," which had been organized for the reform of
local politics. He served the regular term of three years,
from 1883 to 1886. In 1887 he was nominated on the
Independent ticket for mayor, against Edwin H. Fitler on
the Republican ticket, and although his numerous friends
throughout the city conducted a hard campaign in his be-
half, he was defeated. ,

In 1873 Mr. Keim represented the United States as a
commissioner to the World's Fair at Vienna. At its close
he traveled for a year over many parts of Europe and
brought home with him many rare and costly paintings
and works of art. This collection he continued to add to,
and by many persons his collection is considered the finest
owned by a private individual in Pennsylvania. For many
years he resided at No. 1122 Spruce street, and he had a
summer home at Edgewater Park, N. J., occupying a
charming site on the eastern bank O'f the Delaware river;
he also owned a farm and "shooting-box" in Maryland.
While enjoying sport at the latter place he contracted
a heavy cold, which developed into pneumonia, and he
died after a short illness, March 10, 1893. He had a large
circle of friends who appreciated him very highly for his;
genial, frank and straightforward nature.

In 1850 Mr. Keim was married to Miss Sarah Childsv
of Milestown, Pa., by whom he had six children : Harriet
de Benneville, Mary L, Ellen W., Walter M., John M. and
Fanny Granville. In 1883, Mr. Keim was married (second)
to Miss Elizabeth Archer Thorpas, daughter of Joseph
Tuley and Belinda Jane (Mitchell) Thomas, the former
of whom was a distinguished lawyer of Philadelphia. They
had two children : George de Benneville and Elizabeth
Thomas.

JOHN W. GILBERT, of the firm of Heffner, Gilbert
& Croll, leading clothiers and men's furnishers at Reading,.
Pa., was born Sept. 5, 1856, near Gilbertsville, New Han-
over township, Montgomery Co., Pa., son of Elias Y. and
Rebecca, (Wartman) Gilbert, and grandson of John and
Sarah (Yerger) Gilbert.

John Gilbert was born near Gilbertsville, Pa., a little
borough named in honor of the early residents of that
name, and he and his wife were the -parents of two chil-
dren, Elias Y. and a daughter who died in infancy. After
Mrs. Gilbert's death, John Gilbert married (second)
Esther Bickel. By this union there were children as fol-



360



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



lows ; Jesse, Lydia, Henry, John, Milton, Emma, Percival
and Augustus. In religious belief the grandparents were
members of the Lutheran Church. He was a blacksmith
by trade, and this occupation he followed for many years,
dying aged sixty years.

Elias Y. Gilbert was born on the old Gilbert homestead
near Gilbertsville. He received a good common school
education, and during his vacations worked in his father's
blacksmith shop, learning the trade. This he followed for
a short time, and then engaged in the hotel business, first
in Berks county, and later, after a short time spent in the
butcher business, returned thereto, continuing in that oc-
cupation for about forty years, sixteen years of this time
being in Pottstown. He died Dec. 1, 1898, and his wife
followed him to the grave April 3, 1901. The children born
to this union were : Mahlon W., born Aug. 16, 1850, in New-
Hanover, Montgomery county, is deceased; Elizabeth W.,
born Dec. 21, 1853, in New Hanover, died unmarried; Sar-
ah A. W., born Oct. 18, 1854, in New Hanover, married C.
W. B. Todd, Feb. 21, 1901; John W., born Sept. 5, 1856;
EKlen W., born Sept. 11, 1859, in Boyertown, Berks county,
married Nevin Gery, now of Philadelphia; Elias H., born
Feb. 10, 1861, at Colebrookdale ; Emma W., born Oct. 29,
1865, in Colebrookdale, Berks county, married W. M.
Staufer, and they reside in Lancaster county; Howard W.,
born Sept. 27, 1869, at that place, married Anna Ratz,
and they live in Pottstown; and Eli married a Miss Ida
Moll, of Alburtis, Lehigh county.

John W. Gilbert attended public school in Berks and
Montgomery counties and Perkiomen Seminary. At the
age of nine years he engaged as a tender in a brick yard,
and this he followed during the summer months for three
seasons. When twelve years of age he engaged at clerk-
ing in a general store at Forgedale and at Landis Store.
He then clerked in his father's hotel for four years, during
this time attending the Seminary. Later he taught school
for two years, afterward engaging in the butchering busi-
ness at East Greenville and Alburtis, still later going to
Philadelphia, where he was en-vployed eleven years by W-
L. Graver as traveling salesman. In 1890 Mr. Gilbert came
to Reading. He was' appointed steward at the Berks County
Alms House, where he remained about five years, and at
the end of this time engaged in the men's furnishing goods
business on Fifth street. In 1897 the firm of Heffner,
Gilbert & CroU was established, commencing operations at
No. 528 Penn street, which store they conducted until
1904, when, on account of their steadily increasing business
and lack of room they removed to their present fine store,
formerly the J. C. Illig stand, and here carry one of the
finest stocks of men's furnishings and clothing in Penn-
sylvania. They also have a custom tailoring department,
where the finest domestic and imported suitings are con-
stantly kept on hand. A corps of cutters and first-class
tailors are kept busy turning out some of the finest cloth-
ing in this section. The company employs ten clerks, and
the building, which is 34 x 230 feet, is equipped with all
modern improvements and appliances.

Mr. Gilbert was married in 1879 to Miss Amanda .Sal-
lade, daughter of Abraham Sallade, and two children were
born to this union : Bertha and Helen, both of whom re-
side with their parents. In his political belief Mr. Gilbert
is a Democrat. He is a member of Vaux Lodge, No. 406
F. & A. M., and of the K. G. E.

E. RALPH ADAMS, who at the time of his death was
superintendent of the Philadelphia & Reading Telegraph
Company, was born Nov. 5, 1850, at Robesonia, Berks Co,,
Pa., son of Reuben and Magdalena (Jones) Adams.

Reuben Adams was born also in Berks county. He
carried on a blacksmith and machine business at Robe-
sonia, where he died in November, 1895, aged seventy-five
years. His widow died in June, 1907. They had six chil-
dren, namely : Richard, of Missouri ; Ruf us, who died at
Denver, Colo. ; E. Ralph ; Emma, deceased, who married
Samuel Kurtz ; John ; and Valeria, wife of George Fisher.

E. Ralph Adams was a pupil in the public schools until
the age of fourteen years, when he took charge of the
telegraph service at Robesonia, for the Philadelphia &



Reading Railway. This was in 1862, and he continued
to be in the employ of this corporation until his death, with
the exception of 1871 to 1874, when he was with the
Western Union Telegraph Company, at Sedalia, Mo. After
his return to the former company he was made manager
of the Sixth street office at Reading, in 1875 becoming
chief operator, and in 1886 he was sent to the Philadel-
phia office of the company as manager. Nine months later
he was promoted to be superintendent of the whole ser-
vice, and this responsible position, gained entirely through
his own merit, he held up to the time of his death, which
occurred March 3, 1895. He was a member of Lodge No.
62, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter; Reading Commandery,
K. T.; and Philadelphia Consistory. He belonged also to
Mt. Penn Council, Royal Arcanum, and to the Philadelphia
& Reading Relief Telegraphic Association.

In 1871 Mr. Adams was married to Loretta Loag, a
daughter of William R. and Eliza (Strong) Loag. They
settled at what is now known as Loag's Corner, Chester
county, where they engaged in farming. She is the young-
est of their children, the others being : Margaret, deceased,
wife of Michael P. Boyer, a prominent attorney at Read-
ing; John, deceased, who was proprietor of a hotel at
Scranton, Pa. ; Emma, widow of James Thompson, of
Hillsboro, Md. ; James, deceased, a merchant in Phila-
delphia ; Mary and Esther, both deceased ; George, de-
ceased a dentist at Fort Wayne, Ind. ; Sarah, wife of
Theodore J. Bell, of Chester, Pa.; Frances, also of Chester.

Mr. and Mrs. Adams had two children, viz. : Fred B.,
who is supervisor of the Shamokin Division of the Phila-
delphia & Reading Railway Company, and who married
Lue G. Felix; and Florence L., wife of R. Ray Helms,
representative for the Equitable Life Assurance Society, at
Reading, Pennsylvania.

CLYMER FAMILY. In tracing this family, the first
of whom we know are Christopher Clymer and his wife,
Catherine, who lived in Bristol, England. They had two
children, Richard and William, who came to America
about the year 1705. Both married, but only Richard
left issue.

Richard Clymer and his wife, Elizabeth, had five chil-
dren. Three of them died in infancy. Two sons, Christo-
pher and William, both married and both left descendants,
Christopher's son George having been one of the signers
of the Declaration of Independence.

'William Clymer, second son of Richard, married Anne
Judith Roberdeau and left but one child. This was Daniel
Cunningham Clymer, who was brought up by his uncle.
General Roberdeau, Daniel's father having died when
Daniel was quite young. Daniel Cunningham Clymer
married 'Mary Weidner and they had three children:
Ann, who died unmarried; William, who married Susan
Rightmyer and had eight children, all of whom died
childless; and Edward Tilghman.

Edward Tilghman Clymer, son of Daniel C, married
Maria Catherine Hiester, and they were the parents of
seven children, as follows: Daniel Roberdeau, born
March 31, 1819; William Hiester, born Oct. 9, 1820; Ed-
ward Myers, born July 16, 1822; Weidner. born May 12,
1824; Mary Hiester, born July 19, 1825; Hiester, born
Nov. 3, 1827; and George Edward, born Jan. 8, 1830.

Daniel Roberdeau Clymer, eldest son of Edward
Tilghman Clymer and Maria Catherine Hiester, was born
at the Clymer homestead in Caernarvon township, Berks
Co., Pa., .March 31, 1819. After receiving his education
at Lititz, Lancaster county, he engaged in the mercantile
busmess in Reading, Pa., which he pursued until 1852.
In 1853-54 he was mayor of Reading, and some years later
held a position with the East Pennsylvania Railroad Com-
pany, which he resigned in 1869, after which time he
was not m business. He was also a lawyer, having been
admitted to the Bar Aug. 20, 1857, but was never en-
gaged in the active practice of the law. He married at
Mercersburg March 31, 1846, Delia Pierson, daughter of
Silas and Sarah Pierson, of Morristown, N J. Mrs Cly-
mer was born Jan. S, 1824, and died June 14, 1861. They
had five children : Maria Hiester, born June 2, 1847 ; Sarah




■?ss'S.;s*^*-,- :-: i



'inu./?^.



BIOGRAPHICAL



361



Anna Moore, born June 24, 1849; Delia Pierson, born
May 28i 1851; Daniel Roberdeau, Jr., born Nov. 6, 1854;
and Hiester George, born Oct. 21, 1856.

'Mr. Qymer was well known over the whole State and
highly esteemed by a large circle of friends. He was a
devout member of the Episcopal Church, and was looked
upon as a faithful and upright Christian gentleman. His
death o.ccurred after a short illness at his residence in
Reading, Pa., May 5, 1889.

William Hiester Clymer, second son of Edward



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 88 of 227)