Society of Philadelphia. His son, Rev. John McKnight,
D. D., succeeded him and retained this charge from 1816 to
1836, during which he was held in the highest veneration
and beloved by David McKinney and his children.
In stature Eleanor Ouigley McKinney was of medium
height, with blue eyes, a full broad forehead, and red hair.
Her disposition combined the strongest forces of determinetl
mental resolution, with a gentle yielding will which bent
to those of her household, but lost none of its intense earn-
estness of purpose and zeal in the performance of her duties.
Her husband had blue eyes, brown hair, was straight as an
arrow and of the average height of man. His face, though
stern in repose, lighted during conversation with the warmth
of his genial spirit, and pleasant witticisms were often on his
lips, making him a most companionable man. The death of
his wife ten years prior to his decaise made a decided
change in his home, but his daughters and son gave him
every possible comfort and attention and managed the
affairs of. his every day life with great care.
After his death his pastor, Rev. John McKnight. D. D.,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
filed the following obituary : "Departed this life June 4th,
1835, on Thursday last, after a painful illness which he sus-
tained with the calmness of christian resignation, David
McKinney, Esq., in the 68th year of his age. He was for
many years an elder in the Presbyterian church at Rocky
Spring and a resident of the village of Strasburg. He en-
deared himself to those who were best acquainted with him
by his amiability of disposition and uniformity of character.
The notice for his departure from the scenes of time was
short, but did not disconcert his mind. Satisfied that he
was in a state of reconciliation with his God and resting on
the promises of divine faithfulness, he endured his suffer-
ings without a murmur, and met his great change in the
animated expectation of an inheritance among them that
are sanctified by the grace and justified through the perfect
righteousness of the Redeemer.
"By this dispensation of divine Providence, his family
has been l^ereaved of an affectionate and indulgent father.
society of a useful member, and the church of an officer in
whose integrity and fidehty confidence could unifonnly be
reposed. The event affords another evidence of the uncer-
tain tenure by which we hold our earthly existence, shows
that in the midst of life we are upon the verge of eternity,
and addresses to all the admonition, 'Watch, for ye know
not neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of man
Though he and his wife are buried at Rocky Spring
not one of their children lies beside them. Their graves are
marked with plain white stones which are still in perfect
state of preservation.
I. Mary McKinney, b. July i6, 1798, near Newburg,
Penna. ; d. Oct. 27, 1868, at Newville, Penna. ; m. Apr. 15,
1 819, Andrew McElwain, b. Apr. 19, 1785, d. Aug. 21,
1840, at Newville.
As is natural with the oldest daughter she early assumed
household responsibility and made her father's home a place
of happiness and cheer. In girlhood she was fair of face,
short of stature, with a well moulded figure which added a
grace to her youth, and softened the lines that mark the ad-
vance of age. Blue eyes and brown hair was the MacKen-
zie inheritance, but her hair was almost jet black and full
of soft waves, and to her was given a full share of the
Ouigley strength, with all that gives healthful vigor to the
tody. At the age of twenty-one she was married. Her
husband was thirteen years her senior. He made frequent
trips to Baltimore with leather for his dealers, and met Mary
McKinney at Strasburg on one of these journeys. He
owned a farm and tannery six miles from Newville and was
extensively engaged in the tanning business. After his
death his widow removed to New\'ille, resided with her
sister Eleanor and later with her brother and his family, in
whose home she died.
She had a striking personality, different in her true Irish
wit from that of her family. Although each possessed a
sense of refined humor, to her was transmitted a keen rec-
ognition of the ridiculous, and a quick original continuance
of repartee and amusing pleasantry
The witticisms of "Auntie Mac" were as free to flow
from her lips, as though born and bred among- the native
hills of her ancestors. Many of her phrases were from the
Scotch, short and pithy, and have been told and retold by
She and her husband are buried in the Big- Spring Presby-
terian graveyard at New vi lie, of which church they were
II. Jane McKinney, b. Nov. 21, 1799, near Newburg,
Penna. ; d. Feb. i, 1882, at Newville, Penna. ; m. Oct. 19,
1836, Robert McFarlane, b. Oct. 23, 1776; d. Sept. 4, 1847.
His first wife was Eleanor Jacobs and had children — Wil-
liam, killed by falling on a knife, Thomas, James, and Ro-
sanna How-ard who married William Davidson. His sec-
ond wife, Jane Kilgore, had children — Robert Williamson,
married Lydia Bell McKinney, William Kilgore, and John
Geddes married Margaret Ege. The third wife was the sub-
ject of our sketch. The first ten years of her life were
passed near Newburg, when her parents removed to Stras-
Inirg, Penna., where she lived until the time of
her marriage. She w'as educated at a Moravian sem-
inary at Lititz, Penna., where the students were in-
structed not only in the standard branches of learning,
liut were made proficient in painting, embroidery, hemming
and darning. Her well preserved sampler shows neat and
delicate stitches and a great variety of beautifully em-
broidered letters which she used in marking her linen.
Although not blessed with a vast d^ree of health nor a
rugged constitution, at the age of eighty-two years she laid
aside her spectacles when reading, excelled in delicate needle
work and embroidery, took an especial pleasure in discussing
the current topics of the day, and was beloved by a host of
friends of whom a great number were children. Her tender
solicitude and interest in their sports won the confidence of
their childish hearts. To them "Auntie Farlan" was ti!«?
most charming person they could imagine, and many were
the intercessions she made in their behalf and spared them
At the time of her marriage she was thirty- five years of
age. Rev. John McKnight perforqied the ceremony, and
James Woodburn was best man at the wedding, and accom-
panied the bride and groom from the McKinney home at
Strasburg to Robert McFarlane's broad acres along the
Big Spring near Newville. A two-horse barouche of stylish
build held the bridal party, the best man holding the reins,
a yellow dog tracking the dust in the rear. A week latei-
a-n "infair' was given and the large log dwelling was filled
with guests. It was considered an elegant function for the
days of '36.
As was the custom at that time, the bride donned a white
cap, which style she never discarded. In later years they
were made with ties under the chin, fastened with a bow of
the same material as the cap. She was of medium height,
with blue eyes, brown hair, erect and very active in manner.
Four children by former marriages were in the aome
when she assumed her duties, and by them she was held in
the highest veneration. Her favorite reply to enigmas pro-
pounded regarding stepmothers was — "Good stepchild''f:n
make good stepmothers", and of hers she had no cause for
complaint. Two years after her marriage Rosanna w.-s
married, in 1843 the oldest son was married, in 1847 ^"^^''
husband died, John Geddes was married in 1852, in i^O'S
William Kilgore died. Thirty years from the day she was
married her family ties were broken. After the death of
Robert Williamson McFarlane, her stepson who married
her sister Lydia Bell, the sisters made their home together
in Newville and lived there until they died.
She was a staunch Presbyterian, a member of the Big
Spring church, an earnest christian, a devoted student of the
Bible, familiar with all its truths and was able to quote large
portions of scripture.
She was loyal to her civil rulers as well as to her church.
Interested in the welfare of her country, she w^as well versed
in politics, and conversed on all subjects with intelligence,
and was gifted in repartee. Even during the extreme weak-
ness preceding her death she read the daily news with eager
interest, and when too much prostrated to hold a paper
requested one of the family at her bedside to read to her.
She loved the beautiful in nature, took intense pride in her
garden of flowers, which she carefully tended, and every
plant she touched responded with wondrous growth and
She was bright, sympathetic and lovable. Her short mar-
ried life of eleven years was full of tranquil happiness.
Her husband, six feet in height, with blue eyes and auburn
hair, was hospitable, taciturn, with ample means, the owner
of hundreds of acres of land along and north of the Big-
Spring. His thoughtful consideration of her and his devo-
tion to her, were only excelled by her admiration for him
and loyalty to him and his memory.
In connection with his farms and the management of his
estate, he owned a flour and grist mill, near the homestead,
which received its propelling power from the waters of the
Big Spring and was destroyed by fire in 1852. It was
known as the "McFarlane Mill" for a number of years. His
wealth was lavished on his family and friends and with
his generous spirit and benevolent desire he accomplished
great good. To every worthy cause he was a liberal con-
tributor, and those in need were ever mindful of his friend-
ship. To few are given the length of days and uninter-
rupted tranquility allotted Jane McKinney McFarlane. To
her genial, unselfish disposition was largely due the reten-
tion of feeling which enabled her to grow old gracefully, her
sense of humor and good cheer, her vivacious, amiable tem-
perament, her participation in the enjoyment of others,
prevented her from indulging in unkind thoughts, harsh
words, or allowing time to trace its seams and wrinkles on
her face. With her husband she is buried in the Big Spring
Presbyterian graveyard at Newville.
III. Liberty McKinney, b. May 7, 1801, near Newburg.
Penna. ; d. Mar. 11, 1861, near Pittsburg, Penna. ; m. first
Nov. 15, 1827, Michael Greer, b. Apr. 20, 1797, d. Apr. 27,
1828, and is buried in the Rocky Spring Presbyterian grave-
yard; m. secondly Sq>t. 8, 1835, William McCrea, b. May
7, 1786, near Pittsburg, in Allegheny Co., Penna., d.
May 16, 1843, ^"<^1 ^s buried in the Beulah church graveyard
in Allegheny Co.
The first years of her life were passed on the farm of her
father, and from 1812 to 1827 at Strasburg, Penna., where
she married Michael Greer. He was in the woolen manufac-
turing business with Isaac Ward, and took his wife to their
house when they were married, where thej^ remained until
Mr. Greer's death.
Liberty McKinney Greer returned to her father's home at
Strasburg- and spent the years of her widowhood with him.
On June 4 1835, her father died and on Sept. 8th of- the
same year she married Wilham McCrea. He was a son ot
AX^iHiam McCrea who hved on a farm near Pittsburg.
Wihiam McCrea hved only eig-ht years after his mar-
riage. His widow hved on one of her fanns until her death.
She and her husband were members of the Beulah Presby-
terian church, which was in sight of their home.
She was tah and stately in walk and carriage, with dark-
brown hair and gray eyes. She had great strength of char-
acter. Left at an early age with the care of two children
and her estate,, she assumed the responsibility with dignity.
During all the years in which she had charge of the man-
agement of her farms and business transactions, she w^as ably
assisted by Mr. Chalfant, a neighbor and loyal friend of her
husband, whose son afterward married her daughter.
She was kind and sympathetic, as the tenants on her
farms and many of the neighborhood testified. One of her
farmers who had intercourse with her for six years, said
he never had any disagreement or trouble of any kind with
Mrs. McCrea, and one never forgot that she was always the
lady. She was equal to any emergency, and in the most
harrassing and perplexing periods of her life, she maintained
her calm, thoughtful manner, and earnest, steadfast trust in
God. Her thorough consecration and reliance on the will
of an over ruling Providence served to make her a power
for good. She gave substantial aid to the church, and for
the sick she made delicacies, and performed for them innum-
erable acts of kindness which lessened their suffering and
added to their comfort. She was full of tact and in the en-
tertainment of her guests she was hospitable, and spared no
effort to extend to them the cordial greeting and friendly
courtesy of a warm hearted hostess. The visiting clerg}^-
men who supplied the Beulah church were ahvays w^ekomed
in her home.
She died at the age of sixty years and is buried beside her
husband in the Beulah church graveyard.
To William McCrea and Liberty McKinney McCrea
were born two children:
i. ELLEN QUIGLEY McCOREA, b. Nov. 8, 1836; m. May
31, 1860, .John Weakley Chalfant, b. Dec. 13, 1827, at
Turtle Creek, Peuna.; d. Dec. 28. 1898, at Pittsbui-g,
Penna. son of Henry Chalfant and Isabella Wealeley
Chalfant. He was a prominent iron manufacturer of
Pittsburg. To John Weakley Clialfant and Ellen
Quigley McCrea Chalfant were born five children:
i. MARY LIBERTY CHALFANT, b. Apr. 8. 1861;
m. June 16, 1891, Major George McKee, U. S. A.,
who d. Nov. 30, 1891, while in command of
Frankford Arsenal, Penna. To Major George
Wilson McKee and Mary Liberty Chalfant
McKee was born one child:
i. GEX)RGIANA WILSON McKEE, b. Apr. 25,
ii. ISABELLA CAMPBELL CHALFANT. b. Sept.
iii. HENRY CHALFANT. b. S^pt. 17. 1867; m. May
14, 1901, Harriet Beckwith Watson, of Alle-
gheny, Penna. He was graduated from Har-
vard in 1890 and succeeded his father in the
firm of Spajig, Chalfant & Co., resides in Alle-
gheny. To Henry Chalfant and Harriet Beck-
with Watson Chalfant was born one child:
i. ELEANOR CHALFANT, b. Jan. 10, 1903.
iv. ELEANOR McCREA CHALFANT, b. Dec. 2, 1869.
V. ANNIE CHALFANT, b. June 9, 1872.
ii. WILLIAM BRYSON McCREA. b. June 6 1840; m. Jan.
17. 1867, Elizabeth Beatty. b. Oct. 20, 1838, d. Aug.
12. 1904, daughter of Colonel Samuel Beatty and Mary
Taylor Beatty, of Washington, Pa. He received his
education at the Wilkinsburg Academy, resided on the
McCrea homestead until 1892, when he and his fam-
ily removed to Pittsburg, where they have since re-
sided. They were members of the Beulah Presbyter-
ian church, in which Mrs. McCrea was an activia
worker, having had charge of the primary department
for a number of years. After their removal to Pitts-
burg they became members of the Point Breeze Pres-
byterian church. To WaUiam Bryson McCrea and
Elizabeth Beatty McCrea were born six children:
i. WILLIAM BRYSON McCREA, b. Dec. 6, 1867;
d. Mar. 26 1900: m. Bertha Barclay.
ii. SAMUEL BEATTY McCREA, b. Jan. 17, 1870.
iii. LIBERTY McKIN'NEY McCREA, b. June 28, 1871.
iv. MARY TAYLOR McCREA, b. May 12, 1874; d.
May 22, 1876.
V. ELEANOR CHALFANT McCREA, b. Jan. 30.
vi. PRANK PERSHING McCREA, b. Mar. 18, 1882;
d. Mar. 21, 1882.
IV. Thomas Andrew McKinney, b. Oct. i2, 1803. near
Newburg-, Penna.; d. Mar. i, 1881, at Newville, Penna.;
m. May 11, 1848, Jane Rachel Glenn, b. Oct. 25, 1821, near
Newville; d. Oct. 13, 1889, at Newville, daug-hter of x-Mex-
ander Glenn and Maria Laughlin Glenn.
In 1812 he removed with his parents to Strasburg,
Penna., attended the village schcx)l and after completing
his studies, engaged in the tanning business with his father.
He had a well built, tall, athletic physique, strong and vig-
orous, and grew into popular favor.
The art of tanning was the source of a lucrative income
in those days, and tanneries were established at various
points throughout the country. The leather, tanned and
ready for the market, was transported by means of horses
and wagons to Baltimore, Philadelphia and Pittsburg,
where the seller was amply repaid for his tedious journey.
Thomas McKinney made these trips to the cities at inter-
vals each year, taking with him leather, grain, and other
articles of produce, sometimes follow^ed by a train of
wagons filled with goods sent by neighbors, who entrusted
him with the disposition of their stock. In return the
wagons were loaded with merchandise for storekeepers and
families, and the tumpikes were scenes of continuous trafific.
Inns were located at convenient points, where exchanges of
horses were made. Dining rooms and offices were frequently
crowded with guests. Around huge log fires, tales and
traditions were repeated, the tallow dip replenished many
times ere their fund of anecdotes was exhausted. A bed was
provided by the landlord if the wagoner failed to bring one
with him, but it was customary to supply the need at home,
take the l>ed from the wagon and stretch it on the floor of
the tavern, where thirty or forty men lay down to rest.
Large covered Conestoga wagons with contents sufiicient
to fill a freight car of moderate size, drawn by six strong
,horses, made imposing spectacles as they were led into the
court yards. Ample provision for man and steed was stored
in each wagon. In case of an accident or delay, food was
necessary, and in thinly populated districts was not easily
procured. Feed boxes were attached to the rear of the
wagons, where the horses were fed or the grain was taken to
them. On summer nights the wagoner made his bed on the
grass and the horses were allowed to graze. In wild moun-
tainous parts of the country the expedition was perilous,
roads were narrow and the passage difficult. Tools, horse-
shoes, rope, chains and all kinds of repairing implements,
as well as fire arms, were provided for the joumey. In
crossing" the Alleghenies to Pittsburg" stops were made at
Bedford, Johnstown, SidHng Hill and Turtle Creek Inn.
Near the latter place was a dangerous tract which was fre-
quently infested with highwaymen. On his trips to the dif-
ferent cities Thomas McKinney was sometimes accom-
panied by Richard Rodgers and Robert Quigley, who sold
their grain to the same wholesale dealers. For years fol-
lowing their wagoning days they recoimted to their families
their varied experiences.
After the death of his parents he remained in Strasburg
a short time, and removed to Newville in 1844. In "Stras-
burg Reminiscences," by W. W. Britton, we read, "Thomas
McKinney remained a year after the family left the town,
ostensibly to settle the affairs of their estate, but more
probably to avoid causing a vacancy in the school board, as
there was much opposition to the building of school houses
in the district."
Soon after his arrival in Newville he became interested
in the dry goods business with James Gilmore, and so con-
tinued for a few years, when he bought a farm two miles
west of the town and sold his interest in the store. He lived
on his country place for five years, and returned to Newville
with his family, which consisted of his wife, his sister Mary,
and his two children, and purchased the dwelling house in
which he lived until his death.
He was not actively engaged in business after he left the
country, but was employed at various times in the settle-
ment of estates and was appointed guardian and trustee
for a number of children. He was a school director and
took an active part in educational pursuits. He was fre-
quently consulted in legal matters, his advice was willingly
given, and received with the most implicit faith in his judg-
ment. He influenced men to right views on many subjects
and was widely known and esteemed.
His marriage linked the fate of two of the oldest families
of Scotch-Irish ancestry' in the Cumberland Valley. Gabriel
Glenn married Jean Mills and bought a large tract of land
one mile northwest of Newville. At an early date he
erected a flour mill along the Big Spring which ran near
his large stone dwelling house, both of which are standing
and in a state of careful preservation, the house accupied by
a descendant. He also built the first bank barn, which
created a widespread interest, and brought a great number
of people to view the most modern improvement in that part
of the country.
He had six children. David married Jane McKeehan,
William married Miss Thompson, Rebecca married
George Espy, Jean married William Duncan, Rachel
marrted Rev. Graham, Alexander married Maria Laugh-
lin, the daughter of Mary Russell of Gettysburg,
Penna., and Atcheson Laughlin, one of the ear-
liest settlers along the Big Spring at Newville.
Alexander Glenn was born February, 1787, died November
13, 1834, married March, 1816. His wife, Maria Laughlin,
was born May 17, 1792, died May 28, 1841. To them were
born, in the old homestead, six children. Mary married
Matthew Boyd and lived at Newville, William Mills lived
in the house his grandfather built and married Mary Jane
Elliott, Jane Rachel married Thomas McKinney and
resided at Newville, Ann Eliza married W. Linn McCul-
lough and resided at Newville, Rel^ecca married James
Gettys and lived at Athens, Tennessee. Atchison Alex-
ander did not marry.
Jane Rachel Glenn McKinney was a woman of much
sweetness of character and was beloved by her friends and
acquaintances. Her genial disposition and heart overflow-
ing with kindness and sincerity, gave to her the affection
and esteem of all who knew her. She was gentle, and won
the favor of children, who were welcomed to her home and
shown the warmth of her indulgent thoughtfulness.
She and her husband were members of Big Spring Pres-
byterian church, of which he was treasurer for many years.
They are buried in the Big Spring Presbyterian graveyard
To Thomas Andrew McKinney and Jane Rachel Glenn
McKinney were born two children :
i. MARIA LOUISA McKlNNEY, b. Feb. 13, 1849, at New-
ville, Penna.; m. Oct. 10, 1876, Edwin Ruthven Hays b.
May 10, 1846, near Oakville, Penna., son of Robert Mick-
ey Hays and Hannah Sbarp Hays. He attended the Iron
City Commercial College at Pittsburg, Penna., removed
,^ to Newville with his parents in 1865 where he has since
' ; resided. Until 1905 he was engaged in the hardware
business, was elected an elder in the Big Spring Pres-
byterian church Feb. 16, 1878, superintendent of the
Sunday school in 1892, which offices he still holds.
He Is president of the First National Bank, a school
director, in politics a Republican. To Edwin Ruthven
Hays and Maria Louisa MeKinney Hays were born
i. THOMAS McKINNEY HAYS, b. Sept. 8, 1877,
was graduated from Dickinson College in the
clasa of 1898. Since 1902 he has been superin-
tendent and treasurer of the Camden Interstate
Railway, resides at Huntington, W. Va.
ii. MARGARETTA SHARP HAYS, b. Sept. 21, 1880;
d. Mar. 14, 1881.
iii. RACHEL GLENN HAYS, b. Aug. 30, 1883.
Iv. ROBERT McKINNEY HAYS, b. Feb. 23, 1886.
ii. DAVID ANDREW McKINNEY, b. Aug. 19, 1850, at New-
ville, Penna.; d. Sept. 1, 1880, at Newville; m. Feb. 2,
1876, Mary A. Robinson, b. Nov. 5, 1852; d. Apr. 5,
1876, at Newville, daughter of Dr. M. F, Robinson and
Martha Robinson. He attended the Commercial Col-
lege at Reading, Pa., and devoted his interests to the
grain commission business at Newville, was made an
elder in the Big Spring Presbyterian church Feb. 16,
1878, and superintendent of the Sunday school in
1877, both of which he filled until his death. He is
buried beside his wife in the Big Spring Presbyterian
V. Eleanor McKinney, b. June 25, 1806, near Newburg,
Penna., d. Mar. 29, 1885, at Newville, Penna.; m. Mar. 16,
1837, James Gilmore, a native of Ireland, b. 179S, near Gar-
vagh, Londonderry Co., d. 1852 at Newville, son of Alex-
ander Gilmore and Mary Anderson Gilmore, known as Lady
Mary of Inchaleen, the name of the Gilmore estate. She
belonged to the Scotch nobility and was universally beloved.
She and her husband were members of the church at Gor-
vagh, in which her son James was baptized. Early in life
he cherished the prospect of coming to America, but was
dissuaded by his mother. After her death, when twenty
years of age, he crossed the ocean, spending thirteen weeks
on shipboard. The sea was rough and so tempestuous that
the superstitious sailors claimed a witch was on the vessel.
Lots were cast to throw the guilty party overboard, when