Mrs. Belle McKinney Hays Swope.

History of the families of McKinney-Brady-Quigley online

. (page 4 of 28)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the storm subsided, and averted the loss of a passenger.
One brother, William, came later, but the climate disagreed
with him and he returned to Garvagh.

In the early history of Strasburg John Gihnore, an uncle.



40

engaged in merchandizing. To his house James Gilmore
came, and in the home village met and wedded Eleanor
McKinney. They lived in Strasburg for a year after their
marriage, in 1838 removed with their infant daughter to
Newville and he went into the dry goods business with
Thomas McKinney. He erected a residence in 1850 which
is still occupied by his descendants. He was a resolute char-
acter, kind and affectionate.

In his wife were blended strength, energy and firmness.
Though her life was filled with responsibility and the care
and perplexities of an untiring mother and housekeeper, she
was never too much occupied to be of use toi others, and
unconsciously taught to those around her the lesson of
bravery, hopefully, unselfishly clinging fast to her ideals
of holy living. Her Bible was her standard of right and
wrong, and her actions were moulded thereby. She was
supremely good and just. From her hand many w^io were
hungry and cold were fed and clothed. A strong, deter-
mined character, her influence was universally acknowl-
edged. In the church she worked zealously for the various
demands, and in the missionary department was especially
efficient. She had a clear, calculating mind, and left a
widow at an early age, her executive abilities were brought
into play in the management of her business affairs.

In girlhood and in middle life she had a vigorous, healthy
constitution, a well developed body, with earnest gray eyes,
and brown hair, erect and of medium height. The outline
of her face, with its strong curves and firm, expressive
mouth, were a striking index of her character. With a will
that knew the decisive moment and method of action, she
ruled her life accordingly. With no hesitation,, lest critics
found fault or public opinion differed, she followed the
course which seemed best, and adhered to established cus-
toms rather than untried systems.

She was interested in all that pertained to the prosperity
of her country, and joined heart and hand with the Union.
At the time of the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion,
her son told her he wanted to enlist, and she nobly advised
him to do so, saying, "David, I will be ashamed of you if
you do not." During the anxious days when he was at the
front she plied her needle and made useful articles for the



41

soldiers, mingling with her stitches her prayers for her
boy. She was intensely earnest in manner and action. In
conversation she scorned the petty trifling intercourse of the
ilHterate.

She was a keen observer and quick to detect inconsist-
ency. She loved her friends devotedly and added to their
comfort continually. No undertaking for their welfare was
a task, no labor in their behalf a burden. She lived in the
unselfish performance of the obligations due her family, in
the conscientious discharge of which she found her great-
est happiness.

She allowed nothing to interfere with her social relations.
Her home was the scene of many functions^, her table laden
with all that hospitality and the hand of a liberal hostess
could bestow. Around it gathered young and old, among
whom were many whoi clung through life to the memory of
her kindly interest and the thoughtful manifestations of her
regard.

She was equally considerate of those who were strangers
and sojourners, offering them the same attentive respect
and cordiality.

She chose the companionship oi those who were christian
in theory and practice. Hypocrisy was foreign to her dis-
position, and in those to whom she gave her friendship
she sought in return true affection.

From the beginning to the ending of her life she mod-
estly preferred the quiet role of home maker rather than
occupy the more conspicuous planes of existence, but her
strength of character involuntarily lifted her above the or-
dinary intellect, and her influential power was exerted in
all directions. During the last five years of her life she was
a great sufferer, but no murmur escaped her lips. She was
a woman o^ great meekness of spirit, a devout servant of
God. She is buried beside her husband at Newville.

To James Gilmore and Eleanor McKinney Gilmore were
born four children :

i. MARY EiLLEN GILMORE:, b. Mar. 7. 1838 at srrasburs:,
Pienna., e'fiiucated at Harris burg, Fenna.; m. May
31, 1864, Dr. David Ahl, b. Mar. 24:, i^iii.
at York, Penna.; d. Apr. 12, 187«, at NerwrlUe,
Penna.. son of Peter Ahl and Mary Stroliman Aiil,



who had six children: Dr. John, Peter, Dr. David,
Mary, Louisa and Kate. Dr. David Ahl was educated
in a' private school at York, Penna., entered
West Point Military Academy July, 1846, and was
graduated from that institution in 1850. In the au-
tumn of 1850 he entered the medical department of
the University of Maryland and was a graduate in
1853. He assisted his brother. Dr. John Ahl of York,
in the practice of medicine for a short time. Later he
removed to Shirleysburg, Penna., and continued
his professional services until 1854 when he settled at
Newville, Penna., and remained until his death.
He was skillful and eminently successful as a physi-
cian and surgeon, scientific in methods and practice.
He was the inventor of the Ahl's Adaptable Porous
S'plints which were used by the United States Army.
The factory was at Newville. He worked among the
wounded soldiers after the battle of Bull Run, and in
the Government hospital at Washington. While there
he saved General Geary's arm. Three surgeons advis-
ed amputation, but with the use of the splints and
great care the arm was restored to its normal condi-
tion. General Geary's gratitude was so great that,
afterwards, when governor of the state of Pennsyl-
vania he offered Dr. Ahl any position he desired which
was in his • ower to grant him. At the Centennial in
Philadelphia in 1876 he took a medal for his exhibi-
tion of splints. He died in the full vigor of manhood
and in the midst of a career of usefulness. He is bur-
ied in the Prospect Hill Cemetery at Newville. His
widow resides at that place. To Dr. David Ahl and
Mary Ellen Gilmore Ahl were born six children:

i. MARY LOUISE AHL, b. Apr. 29, 1865; m. Aug. 9,
1900, William Jessop, b. in Heywood, England,
son of William Jessop and Alice Brabbin Jes-
sop. He came to America when quite young,
spent some years in British Columbia, after
which he went to California and later to Mexico
where he was in the employ of a mining ma-
chinery company. At Springfield, Mass., he at-
tended the training school for Y. M. C. A. sec-
retaries. His first association was at Summit,
N. J., which he served for seven years. At the
expiration of that period he removed to Brant-
ford, Ontario, and in 1905 to Elizabeth, N. J.,
where he is actively engaged in the same work,
ii. JAMES GILMORE AHL, b. June 28, 1867; d.

Dec. 20, 1870.
iii. ELEANOR GILMORE AHL, b. Jan. 27 1870; d.

Feb. 23, 1870.
iv. JOHN GILMORE AHL, b. July 18, 1871.
V. JANE BELLE AHL, b. June 16, 1873
vi. DAVID WILSON AHL, b. Feb. 14, 1877; m. Jan. 12
1905, Arminell C. Reilly, of Philadelphia, Penna.!
b. Tnne 10. 1883, daughter of Charles Reillv and



43

Elizabeth Nelson Reilly, reside in New York
City.
DAVID McKINNEY GILMORE, b. May 21, 1840, at
Newville, Penna. ; d. Feb. 14, 1900. at Minne-
apolis, Minn.; m. Aug. 15, 1867, Sarah Grizelda
Kyle, b. July 13, 1840, at Jacksonville, Cumberland
Co., Penna., d. July 3, 1903, at Minneapolis,
Minn., where she spent her married life. He went
to the west in 1859 and located at Minneapolis. Later
in the same year he returned to his home in Newville
and remained until he joined tlie cavalry, in which
he did valiant service during the Civil War. He en-
tered the military ranks as corporal, Aug. 8, 1861, and
was honorably discharged Aug. 24 1864. He was ap-
pointed orderly sergeant of Company H, Third Penn-
sylvania Cavalry, and on March 17, 1862, was com-
missioned second lieutenant. He was promoted first
Jieutenant Sept. 14, 1862, and again promoted to the
rank of captain under date of May 1, 1863. His ser-
vice was in the Army of the Potomac, under renowned
■cavalry leaders of distinction, such as Generals Aver-
ill, Mcintosh and Gregg. By gallant and meritorious
<4onduct he was mu&tered out a brevet major at the
close of the war. He participated in the battles of
Yorktown, Williamsburg, Savage Station, Charles
City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, South Mountain,^
Antietam, tlie Stoneman raid, Kelly's Ford, Bristow
Station and Gettysburg. He was wounded Nov. 7,
1863, near Warrentown, Virginia, in a fight with
Mosby. With his company he was ordered as an es-
cort to G'eneral Hooker, and served for a time in that
capacity. In April, 1864, he was detailed to Harris-
burg, Penna., and placed in command of the
recruiting station at Camp Curtin, where he remained
until he received his discharge. He was a brave sol-
dier, a capable officer and extremely popular with his
men. He was an ardent patriot and discharged his
duties faithfully . He was warmly attached to tho&e
who were with him in the struggle for the preserva-
tion of the Union, and cherished through life the
friendships thus formed. In 1866 he returned to Min-
neapolis, which was his home until his death. For
forty years he was influentially identified with the
commercial, social and religious interests in his
adopted city, and gave to it his noblest and best
efforts. He founded the D. M. Gilmore Furniture
Company in which he was interested until 1891.
This company was one of the first firms in Minneap-
olis to send traveling salemen between their city
and the Pacific coast, which brought it into high re-
pute as a center of trade. In 1891 he founded the firm
of D. M. Gilmore and Company, engaged in the manu-
facture and handling of steam fitters' supplies. He
was also a member of the firm of Gilmore & McArdle,
and president of the Minneapolis Iron Works. At
one time he was a member of the Board of Trade and



u



for a number of years he was a member of the Job-
bers Association, and occupied various influential po-
sitions in other civic bodies. He was public spirited
end belonged to the ai-my of pioneer business men
WTho laid the foundation of a beautiful city, and to
him is due much of the credit of its prosperity and
growth. He was a valued member of Rawlins Post,
G. A. R., the Loyal Legion, in which he served as
senior vice commander, and the A. O. U. W. In poli-
tics he was a Democrat. He was prominent in the
Westminster Presbyterian church, having served as
deacon and was one of its most substantial members.
He was a general favorite, his warm generous heart,
with good will toward God and man, his fund of pure
Scotch-Irish wit and pleasantry, which stood the test
of adversity and disappointment, won for him an abid-
ing place in the affections of all who knew him. In
commercial life he was a leader, and in his home a
devoted husband and father, who took keen pleasure
in entertaining his friends beneath his roof. No man
in Minneapolis was greeted with greater kindlinessi
than he, and his hospitality was a source of sincere
satisfaction to him and his family. Those who went
from the home and haunts of his boyhoood to his
city received a hearty welcome and were shown the
most gracious attention by him. To know him waa
rare good fortune, and his wholesome advice and cor-
dial manner will never be forgotten by many young
men and women who sought his counsel and assist-
ance and were aided by him. His bright and constant
aow of spirits bore him company even during months
of suffering. To David McKinney Gilmore and Sarah
Grizelda Kyle Gilmore were born six children:

i. SARAH ELEANOR GILMORE, b. Nov. IG, 1868;

d. Nov. 14 1870.
ii. JAMES KYLE GILMORE. b. Feb. 16, 1870, edu-
cated at Minneapolis, Minn., entered the D. M.
Gilmore Furniture Co., and in 1890 organized
the firm of Parmalee & Gilmore in Chicago.
In 1893 he returned to Minneapolis and became
a member of the firm of D. M. Gilmore & Co.,
jobbers in steam flutters' supplies. His interest
continues in the same business, and he is also
president and treasurer of the Gilmore, McAr-
dle Co., and the Gilmore, Rollins Co., resides at
Minneapolis; m. Oct. 4, 1905, Eleanore Lynn
Orris, b. July 2, 1879, daughter of Dr. Henry
Orande Orris and Annie Milligan Orris.
lii. THOMAS McKINNBY GILMORE, b. Sept. 21,

1872; d. Mar. 6, 1890.
iv. RICHARD RODGERS GILMORE, b. Jan. 16,

1874; d. Mar. 4, 1875.
V. MARY ELIZABETH GILMORE, b. Dec. 18, 1875;
m. Feb. 22, 1905. Frank Barrows Cudworth, b.
July 4, 1873, at Brookfield. Mo., son of Dariua
Alonzo Cudworth and Cordelia Ann Mills Cud-



45

worth. He is connected with the Passenger
Traffic Department of the Great Northern Rail-
way at Saint Paul, Minn., and resides at Minne-
apolis,
vi. ALICE BELLE GILMORE, b. Jan. 18, 1878; m.
Nov. 4, 1903, Robert George Morrison, b. July
31, 18G1, at Blairs Mills, Penna., son of David
Harbison Morrison and Marjorie McConnell
Morrison. Educated at Iowa State University,
he was admitted to the bar in 1883, and has
continued in the practice of his profession
since that time in Minneapolis, Minn., where
he is an active member of the Westminster
Presbyterian church. To Robert George Mor-
rison and Alice Belle Gilmore Morrison was
born one child:

i. ELIZABETH MORRISON, b. Sept. 12, 1904.
NANCY JANE GILMORE, b. Feb. 21, 1844, at NewviUe,
Penna., educated at the Normal School at Newvllle,
Penna.; m. Dec. 22, 1863, Andrew Jackson Herr, b.
Dec. 31. 1832, at Greencastle, Penna.; d. Mar. 16, 1894,
at Harrisburg. Penna., buried at Harrisburg. He was
a son of Daniel Herr and Sarah Gilbert Herr, who re-
sided in Greencastle at the time of the birth of their
son, Andrew Jackson Herr. When he was three
months old they removed to Reading, and later to
Philadelphia, and died in Harrisburg. Their son re-
ceived his education in the various cities in whicTi
they lived. He was graduated from the High School
of Philadelphia in 1845. Soon after the completion
of his school course he returned to Harrisburg, stud-
ied law with .Tames McCormick, Esq.. and was ad-
mitted to the Dauphin county bar in 1850, at the age
of eighteen years. He then began the practice of the
l)rofession in which he became distinguished. His
intellectual ability and acquirements were recognized
and admired by members of the bar and the people
in general. By nature highly gifted, he rose to the
rank of a leader among his fellow lawyers and was
the most polished speaker at the bar. He was justly
styled "the silver tongued orator of Penna."
For nine years he served as district attorney of
Dauphin county, was counsel for the county commis-
sioners for one year and represented the county in the
legislature during the session of 1868-1869. He was a
member of the State Senate in 1875-1876, and in the
latter year re-elected' for a term of four years. At
the close of the session of 1878 he was elected presi-
dent pro tem. of the Senate, which position he filled
with dignity and honor. He was again elected to the
Senate in 1880 for a term of four years, and at the
expiration of his terra in 1884 he retired from politics,
and devoted his time and attention to the furtherance
of the claims of his profession. In politics he was a
Republican, and previous to 1884 he was a party
leader in his State. He conducted many important



46



cases in court, and during a period of forty years
there were few noteworthy cases in which he was not
employed as counsel on one side or the other. He
was effective in jury trials and met with few defeats.
As a statesman he was among the leading lights of
his day. Thorough and shrewd, his career as one of
the managers of the affairs of state won for him the
most sincere admiration and distinction. In early
life he devoted his leisure moments to literary pur-
suits and produced much that was rare in its beauty
and originality, both in prose and poetical works.
At fifteen years of age he wrote fluently and contrib-
uted to newspaper and magazine fiction. "The Maid
of the Valley," a story of the Revolution; "The Cor-
sair," founded on the revolt of San Domingo, and
"The Chain of Destiny," were so popular that they
were reproduced in England, and received most flat-
tering praise and comment. In the field of literature
he Vv'ould have had a career of brilliancy, yet he
chose a calling which brought him in touch with his
fellow men, of which it was said by a friend "He
touched every heart, his charm of language swayed
the people. I never knew a man who was more won-
derfully gifted in that respect. Keen, incisive and
interesting he rose to celebrity in his efforts at the
bar. His knowledge of law led him to know almost
intuitively whether a man was or was not guilty. It
is for these traits he will be longest remembered. He
was a man of the people, a gentleman in intercourse,
and always accessible to the public." He was par-
ticularly kind and helpful to young men entering the
legal profession by his encouraging words and char-
itable outlook on their mistakes, malting friends and
proving a stimulus to advancement in their lines of
achievement. His widow resides in Harrisburg where
she and her family are members of the Pine Street
Presbyterian church. By a previous marriage to Martha
Linn Coyle, daughter of Scott Coyle and Nancy Ct)yle,
of NewviHe, he had one son, Daniel Coyle Herr, born
Aug. IG, 1866, educated at the Harrisburg and Cham-
bersburg academies and Lafayette College, admitted
to the Dauphin county bar in 1880, and practices law
in Harrisburg. He married secondly, Nancy Mathers
Coyle, daug-hter of Scott Coyle and Nancy Coyle of
Newville, to whom was born one daughter, Martha
Herr, who died in infancy. To Andrew Jackson Herr
and Nancy .Jane Gilmore Herr was born one daughter:
i. ELEANOR GILMORE HERR. b. Feb. 18 1866,
educated in private schools at Harrisburg and
Farmington, Connecticut; m. Apr. 26, 1887, John
Yeomans Boyd, b. Aug. 19, 1862, at Danville,
Penna., son of James Boyd and Louisa
Yeomans Boyd. His grandfather, .Tohn C. Boyd,
was a pioneer in the iron and coal business" of
the upper Susquehanna valley, who married
Hannah Montgomery, of Danville, Penna His



47

mother is a daughter of Rev. John W. Yeomans,
D. D., Presbyterian minister of Pittsfield, Mass.,
North Adams, Mass., Danville, Penna., and presi-
dent of Lafayette College, who married Letitia B.
Snyder. John Yeomans Boyd was educated in pri-
vate schools at Sunbury and Harrisburg, entered
Princeton in 18S0 and was graduated in 1884.
Since then he has been continually engaged in
the wholesale anthracite coal business, with
varied interests in coal and iron. He and his
wife are members of the Pine Street Pi-esby-
terian church of Harrisburg, where they reside.
To John Yeomans Boyd and Eleanor Gilmore
Herr Boyd were born four children:
i. JAMES BOYD, b. July 2, 1888.
ii. ANDREW JACKSON HEHR BOYD, b.

Feb. 2D, 1892.
iii. ELEANOR GILMORE BOYD.b. Feb. 18,

1894

iv. LOUISA YEOMANS BOYD, b. Mar. 7,

1896

It. LYDIA BELL GILMORE, b. Sept. 8, 1846, at Newville,
Penna., educated in the public and private schools
of Newville; m. Oct. 5, 1875. William Nevius
Wilson, b. Apr. 15, 1825, near Lewisburg, Penna., d.
July 9, 1896, at Newville, son of Samuel Wilson and
Elizabeth Nevius Wilson. James Wilson when seven
years of age, was brought by his parents to America.
They came from the north of Ireland and settled in
Derry township, now Dauphin county, Penna. By pro-
fession a survej-or, he was sent in 1767 by Governor
Penn to survey land in the Buffalo "Valley, now Union
county, Penna., which had been recently puchased
from the Indians. He made selection of three hun-
dred acres, lying a mile noi'th of the present site of
Lewisbui-g. This tract was deeded to him about 1771,
and was named "Wilson's Choice." To him and his
wife Martha Sterrett Wilson were born eight chil-
dren of whom Samuel, their youngest child, married
Elizabeth Nevius. Their son William Nevius Wilson
lived on the home farm until he reached manhood.
He then removed to Jersey Shore, Penna., to engage
in the coal and iron business, and so continued until
1884, with the exception of the years from 1867 to
1873, which he spent at Chester, Penna.,where he was
interested in the boat building business. In 1886 he
removed to New\ille, which was his home until his
death, at which place his widow resides. He was an
exemplarj^ christian, an earnest Bible student, a mem-
ber of the Big Spring Presbyterian church, in politics
a Democrat, and is buried in Prospect Hill cemetery
at Newville,

VI. Dinah McKinney, b. June 25, 1808, neai- Newburg-,
Penna.; d. Jan. 17, 1893, at York Springs, Penna.; m. Apr.



5, 1827, William Rippey- Stewart, M. D., b. Sept. 29, 1802,
at Shippensburg, Penna. ; d. ]\lar. 9, 1867, at York Springs,
Penna., son of Alexander Stewart and Jane Rippey Stew-
art, received his early education in the schools in Shippens-
burg and prepared for college in the institution founded by
John Cooper known as Hopewell Academy. He was a
graduate of the Maryland Medical Institute at Baltimore,
and of the University of Pennsylvania, and was eminently
fitted for the duties of the profession which he chose for his
life work. He was a student of marked ability and a leader
in his classes, as well as a favorite among his companions,
and in later years was well known throughout the length
and breadth of Adams county. Scarcely has a man lived
who was more generally beloved. He was an ideal physician.
In 1827, at the age of twenty-five years, he began the prac-
tice of medicine at York Springs, then a small village com-
posed of a store, inn and a few dwelling houses. In the
early years of his career he rode over the hills on horseback,
later in a sulky, then in a buggy. He did not spare himself,
but kept good horses and traveled over rough roads and
through dangerous mountain passes by day and night. Un-
tiring in his exertions, he sought to relieve every form of
suffering, not only physical weakness and pain, but sorrow
and misfortune. His practice, which was large from the
time he settled in York Springs, soon became immense and
extended over miles of territory. His visits were looked for
with eagerness by his patients. To many who lived in
remote districts, his coming was the only bright spot in
weeks of time, and his cheerful attractive presence did them
almost as much good as his medicine. He had a heart filled
with love for children, and they in turn were devoted to
him.

He was ever mindful of the courtesies of life, and with
gentle, gracious gallantry, observed cultured forms of
speech and manner under all circumstances and in all places.
He was a christian of the highest type and honored of all
men. As a physician he was skillful and eminently suc-
cessful, socially he was admired, but in his home as husband
and father were touched the chords which vibrated to the
most tender affection of his soul. He was great in good
deeds, hospitality, contentment, a noble, magnanimous, in-



4<»

lellectual character. He undefstood human nature thor-
oughly and was heartily in sympathy with the actions and
undertakings of his fellow men during his practice of forty
years. His wife, an able christian, was of assistance to
him in every phase of his profession. When four years
of age her parents removed to Strasburg, where she had the
same advantages afforded her older sisters. At nineteen
years of age she was a tall, healthy, blue eyed woman, with
brown hair, erect and graceful, with a self-possessed
tnanner and easy flow of language. At that age she was
married, and began and ended her married life in York
Springs. In 1828 they bought a brick house in the center
of the town, which is still in possession of their family. A
large, substantial dwelling, wide porches, a fountain pump,
a lawn and garden sloping down to a brook beside which
children and grandchildren played, mingling their childish
songs and shouts with the murmer of the stream, serve to
sweeten the storehouse of memory for many who were
g"uests in that hom-C. A hearty welcome, bounteous enter-
tainment, merriment and good cheer, regret and Godspeed
at parting, accompanied and followed each visitor. Never
was there a latch more frequently lifted, and nowhere a
greater cordiality extended.

Husband, wife and children were active in church work,
and visiting clergymen of their own and other denomina-