Mrs. Belle McKinney Hays Swope.

History of the families of McKinney-Brady-Quigley online

. (page 5 of 28)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

tions found a hospitable shelter beneath their roof. Their
home and hearts were never too well filled to accommodate
one more.

In the mother were characteristics peculiar to the house
of MacKen;:ie — determination, earnestness, high aspira-
tions, piety, meekness, dignified reserve, ambition. She
gave her best efforts to her family. In no wise did she
slight her duty, but sought to make It a pleasure. In the full
enjoyment of health in the years of womanhood, she used
her energy in her home for its purity and ennobling. Her
life was full of usefulness. Her capabilities were such that
she made great achievements in every line of work which
tended to the upbuilding or advancement of any worthy
cause. Frank, straightforward, despising hypocrisy, she
was trusted as lOiie competent to advise, expressing her
opinion freely when desired. Firm in her convictions.



5i1

Strong- in her views on religious subjects, she knew the right
and was fearless in her denunciation of wrong doing, exer-
cising a firm parental government. Her husband had a
well equipped library which gave the children in her home
an opportunity to train their minds. She was thoroughly
Calvinistic and rigid in observance of the Sabbath day.
With her life of self-denial and care of her household she
did not lose the quick elastic step, and bright, winning in-
terest in people and things until after the milestone of three
score years and ten had been passed. The dimness of vision
through which she battled, rendered her dependent on her
sons and daughters, who gave her all that loving attention
can bestow. She was patient and submissive, and exhibited
the same spirit of heroic fortitude in this as in other afflic-
tions and disappointments. She manifested a bravery, born
only of grace and faith. During the period of her last illness
she was most beautifully remembered, and her Avelfare
earnestly solicited by many who had been benefitted from
her liberal hand, by whose generosity they w^ere bountifully
provided for and assisted. Not a house in the village that
had not been blessed by her presence during sickness or be-
reavement. She and her husband with five children are bur-
ied at York Springs, in the Presbyterian graveyard, of
which church they w^ere members.

To Dr. William Rippey Stewart and Dinah McKinney
Stewart were born twelve children :

i. MARY .JAN'E STEWART, b. June 21. 1828. at York
Springs, Penna.; m. Sept. 4, 1851, Rev. William Alex-
ander McKee, b. Jan. 28, 1821, in Cumberland Co.,
Penna.; d. Feb. 7, 1892, at Houtzdale, Penna., son of
Edward McKee and Lydia McCaffrey McKee. He
was educated at Dickinson College, Carlisle, Penna.
His fitst charge after his marriage was in Center
Co., Penna., after which he preached successively
to the Methodist congregations at New Washington,
Penna., Birmingham, Penna., Prince George County,
Md. Mifflintown, Penna., spent 1858 in the west. The
following year went to Jersey Shore, Penna., then to
Cumberland, Md., Frostburg, Md., Flintstone, Md.,
East Hartford, Md., West Hartford, Md., Shrewsbury,
Penna., Hopewell, Penna., Orbisonia, Penna., Burnt
Cabins, Penna., Milroy, Penna., Williamsport, Penna.,
DuBoitown and Salladsburg, Penna. After retiring
from the ministry he and his family spent six years at
Orbisonia and later removed to Houtzdale. His pastor-



ates svere pleasant, he was fall of the spirit, earnest,
effective and zealous, and his ministry was crowned
^ith success. He is buried at Osceola, Penna. Hi^
widow resides at Juniata, Penna. To Rev. William
Alexander McKee and Mary Jane Stewart McKee
were bom four children:
i. ROBERT MONTGOMERY McKEE, b. Apr. 19,

1855; d. Aug. 18, 1855.
ii. WILLIAM RIPPBY STEWART McKEB, b. Feb.

4, 1857; d. June 19, 1858.
iii. EDWARD McKINNEY STEWART McKEE, b.
Nov. 1-1, 1860, educated at Dickinson Seminary,
Williamsport, Penna., attended Penna. Dental
College, Philadelphia, Penna., practiced den-
tistry for one year at Osceola, Penna., and until
190.3 at Houtzdale, Penna. Since then he ha.^
been in the real estate business and resides at
Juniata, Penna.
IV. DINAH ELEANOR McKEE, b. June 2, 1861, a
graduate of Dickinson Seminary, Williamsport,
Penna., class of 1882; m. Feb. 4, 1886, George
Walter Munroe, b. Sept. 27, 1853, son of James
Munroe and Matilda R. Walters Munroe. He
was graduated from St. .John's College, Annap-
; olis, Md., July 31, 1872, and has since been en-

gaged in mercantile pursuits. For fifteen years
he was a member of the firm of James Munroe
& Son, Annapolis. At present he is general
; manager and buyer for H. C. and J. R. Skelly,

McKeesport, Penna., where he and his family
. reside. To George Walter Munroe and Dinah
Eleanor McKee Mnnroe were born two chil-
dren:

i. ELEANOR McKEE MUNROE, b. Mar. 7,

1887.
ii. JAMES STEWART MUNROE, b. Nov. 27,
1889.
ii. ALEXANDER QUAY STEWART, twin, b. May 28, 1830,
at York Springs, Penna., d. July 13, 1831, at York
S'prings, and is buried at that place.
iii. A daughter, a twin, b. May 28, 1830, at York Springs,
Penna., d. Oct. 7, 1830, at York Springs, and is buried
at that place,
iv. ELEANOR ISABEL VIRGINIA STEWART, b. June 9.
1832, at York Springs, Penna., d. Mar. 5, 1898, at Ship-
pensburg, Penna., and is buried at York Springs.
V. CATHARINE RIPPEY RAUM STEWART, b. Aug. 9,
1834, at York S'prings, Penna., resides at Chambers-
burg, Penna., a member of the Central Presbyterian
tjhurch.
vi. GENERAL WILLIAM WARREN STEWART, b. Aug. 8.
1836, at York Springs, Penna., educated at the Cum-
berland Valley Institute, and the .Juniata Academy at
S'hirleysburg, Huntingdon Co., Penna. He turned
his attention to mathematics and civil engineering,
in which he became proficient. In 1857 he joined a



corps of the United States engineers in the survey of
government lands in Nebraslca. After two years ser-
vice he accepted a position in the office of the Adams
Ebcpress Company at Baltimore, Md., when he heard
of the firing upon Fort Sunmter and returned to his
home at York Springs. In June, 1861, he enlisted in
Company K, First Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve
Volunteer Corps, and two weelts after arriving in
camp at West Chester, Fenna., was appointed first
sergeant. At Tennellytown, Va., where the com-
pany to which he belonged was stationed in Septem-
ber of the same year, he received his commission
giving him the rank of first lieutenant. In November
of 1861 he was detached from Company K and June
30, 1862, made adjutant of the regiment. At Charles
City Cross Roads, during the seven days battle of the
Peninsula, he was severely wounded by a minie ball
through the left thigh. He was captured and confined
in Libby Prison for three months. In September he
was paroled. The captain of his company was killed,
and while he was in prison, August, 1862, he was pro-
moted to the captaincy, by order of the commanding
officer of the Army of the Potomac. When his ex-
change was effected he assumed command of Company
K, .January 7, 1863. He was commissioned lieutenant-
colonel of the regiment, the Twenty-second Army
Corps, in Fairfax Co., Va., and March 13, 1864,
a brevet colonel for gallant conduct at the battle of
the Wilderness and Spottsylvania Court House. The
regiment ivas mustered out in June, 1864. He took
part in the battles of Drainsville, Hawkhurst Mills,
Mechanicsville, Caines Mills, Charles City, Cross
Roads, Fredericksburg, New Hope Church, Mine Run,
Rappahannock Station, Spottsylvania Court House,
Wilderness, North Anna, Pomunky River, Cold Har-
bor, Bethesda and Gettysburg. At North Anna he was
slightly wounded in the side. At Gettysburg he and
his command appeared on the morning of the second
day, having covered thirty-five miles on their march
the previous day. Footsore and worn, with no time
for rest, he gathered his forces on Little Round Top,
and charged with their brigade, which recovered the
ground lost by the First and Second Divisions of the
Fifth Army Corps. That afternoon and night he had
charge of the skirmishers, and continued with un-
flagging energy to do duty until the charge of his bri-
gade on the third day, personally directed by General
Meade, in which eighty or ninety of the enemy were
taken prisoners, together with the capture of two
battle flags and from 2000 to 3000 stand of muskets.
Until the morning of the next day the brigade lay on
the fileld, forty-two hours without rest, the greater part
of the time engaged in fierce conflict. March 15 186-5
he was commissioned a colonel of the One Hu'ndTed
and Ninety Second Regiment, Pennsylvania Volun-
teer Infantry, and with it took an active part in the



53

campaign against Richmond and skirmishes in the
valley of Shenandoah and Virginia. During a part of
that period he was in command of the Third Brigade
of the Second Division of the Army of the Shenan-
doah. After Lee's surrender he had, as brigade com-
mander, charge of the post at Staunton, Virginia, and
July, 1865, assumed command of the post at Harper's
Ferry. August 24, 1865, he was mustered out, and for
gallant service at North Anna River he was breveted
a brigadier general, dating from March 15, 1865. No
soldier left the field with a cleaner record, nor de-
servingly received greater tributes of praise for dis-
tinguished services. In 1868 he assisted in locating
the Cumberland Valley Railroad from Hagerstown to
the Potomac River and a preliminary line from the
Potomac to Martinsburg. In 1870 with the engineer-
ing corps he prospected and located the Shenandoah
Valley Railroad from Shepherdstown to the Chesa-
peake and Ohio Railroad. From 1873 to 1878 he had
charge of the engineering corps under the supervision
of the Harrisiburg and Potomac Railroad, after which
he returned to the Cumberland Valley Railroad and
constructed the extension of the Mont Alto intersec-
tion to Waynesboro; located a line from Martinsburg
to Winchester; in 1881 took a corps on the Pittsburg
and Atlantic Railroad; constructed twenty-five miles
of Bradford and Buffalo Railroad in 1882; the year
following ran preliminary lines for the Baltimore,
Hanover and Gettysburg Railroad; in 1884 he located
and constructed the Stewartstown Railroad in York
Co., Penna. ; in 1887 was appointed civil engineer,
quarter master's department, U. S. A., and constructed
the street from C'himbirazo Park, Richmond, Va., to the
cemetery; he returned to the Cumberland Valley
Railroad in 1888, constructed the line from Martins-
burg to Winchester, made surveys for lines from Mt.
Dallas, and retraced the line of the old South Penn
Railroad, known as the Vanderbilt road, accompanied
the viewers over the route when the line was con-
demned and purchased by the South Penn Railway
and Mining Company. Since that time he has been
contiuously engaged with the Cumberland Valley Rail-
road in charge of the engineering and maintenance
of tracks. He resides at Chambersburg, Penna.
vii. LIBERTY McCREA STEWART, b. Aug. 16, 1838, at
York Springs, Penna.; m. November 13, 1879, James
S. Rutter, b. at Orbisonia, Huntingdon Co., Penna.,
son of William Rutter and Nancy Rutter. He at-
tended the public schools in Orbisonia until ten
years of age and was then sent to the high school in
Fremont, Ohio. After his return he went to Commer-
cial College, New York. In 1882 he studied dentistry
with Dr. Osier, entered Pennsylvania College in 1883 and
was graduated in 1886, taking the honors of his class,
of which he was its president. After marriage he and
his wife lived in Williamsport, Penna., for five years



54

and since then have resided in Philadelphia, Penna.

viii. DAVID McKINNBY STEWART, b. Aug. 7, 1840, at York
Springs, Penna. He learned the tanning business,
but discontinued his interest after the breaking
out of the War of the Rebellion. He enlisted in June,
1861, in Company K, First Pennsylvania Reserve Vol-
unteer Corps. During the Peninsular campaign, in
June, 1862, he was captured, after the battle of
Charles City Cross Roads, and taken to Libby prison,
from which he escaped in September of that year.
He was mustered out with his regiment in June, 1864,
after giving three years valiant service to his country
and taking part in many of the most decisive engage-
ments of the war. He served the Baltimore and Ohio
Railroad Company as conductor and baggage master
on their road from the close of the war until 1880,
since when he has resided in Baltimore, Washington
and York Springs, the latter his present place of
residence,
ix. DINAH JULIA STEWART, b. Nov. 25, 1842, at York
Springs, Penna., d. Oct. 29, 1844, at York Springs,
and is buried at that place.
X. ROBERT MONTGOMERY STEWART, b. Nov. 21, 1844,
at York Springs, Penna.; m. July 27, 1891, M;ary
Ann Coale, b. July 26, 1859, at Baltimore, Md.,
daughter of Lewis Parker Coale and Henrietta Guinn
Coale. He was a soldier during the War of the Re-
bellion, serving in the One Hundred and First Regi-
ment, Company K, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He has
been engaged in business in New York city for twenty-
one years, previously in Wilmington, Delaware,
xi. SARAH HANNAH STEWART, b. Nov. 6, 1846, resides
at Chambersburg, Penna., a member of the Central
Presbyterian church.

xii. PHEOBE RACHEL STEWART, b. Feb. 25, 1852, at
York Springs, Penna. At the age of fourteen
months she became blind and continued so' until her
death, June 26, 1855. Beautiful brown eyes which
never lost their brightness, a face radiant with child-
ish happiness and contentment, with a loveliness of
character excelling that of most children, she was the
idol of her family. She is buried at York Springs.

VII. A son born and died May 8, i8ii.

VIII. Lydia Bell McKinney, b. Sept. 5, 1813, at Stras-
burg, Penna.; d. Jan. 11, 1887, at Newville, Penna.; m.
Feb. 9, 1843, Robert Williamson McFarlane, b. June 22,
181 7, in the old McFarlane home along the Big Spring, d.
Apr. 16, 1845, in the house in which he was born, son of
Robert McFarlane and Jane Kilgore McFarlane.

Her girlhood days were passed in the village of Strasburg.
She attended school there and completed her education at a



55

private institution in Chambersburg,Penna., conducted by Dr.
Blood. She boarded in the family of Rev. John McKnight,
who suppHed the pulpit at Rocky Spring for twenty years.
In his home she was brought in touch with his masterful in-
tellect, and throughout life she and her family clung to the
memory of his friendship and consecrated service. From the
time of her father's death until 1840 she remained in Stras-
burg, after which she removed to Newville, and was mar-
ried from her sister's home, Rev. Robert McCachran
pastor oi the Big Spring Presbyterian church officiating.

Robert McFarlane, Senior, gave to his son a farm of 210
acres, adjoining the homestead land, along the Big Spring.
On it was a large log dwelling house to which Robert
McFarlane, Junior, took his wife. They were a fine look-
ing couple. She was tall, straight as an arrow, with a well
poised head, which seemed to raise her above the ordinary
stature of women. Her blue Irish eyes, which never lost
their lustre, brown hair and fair complexion were well
matched with the red hair and blue eyes of her husband,
who was tall, and like the men of the McFarlane clan, slender
in physique, with refined manner and gentlemanly bearing.
He was a lover of fine horses and kept a number of thor-
oughbreds. He had all that heart could wish for, yet his life
was short. Two years after his marriage he died, leaving
a wife, and daughter. Sometime previous to his death
he took his family to his father's house and died
beneath the paternal roof. His widow and child did
ntit return to their former home, but remained in the
old home until after the death of Robert McFarlane, Senior,
when they went with his widow to Newville in 1848 and
lived there.

Lydia Bell McKinney McFarlane's marriage was the
second union of two of the most respected families in the
valley, her sister, Jane, having married her husband's
father. They with their sisters, were left widows early in
life, and that fatality has been a pronounced destiny in each
succeeding generation, almost without exception the wife
survives her husband.

She was saddened by her early sorrow, and those who
were her companions in youth spoke of her as changed,
though in girlhood, middle life and in old age she was an



56

exemplary character, cast in a strong, firm mould. Her
thoughtful ministrations and tender care for the sick and
needy made her a good angel in the village. She was a
thorough housewife, never neglected her home duties, yet
day and night she was called to minister to those who asked
for assistance.

During the Civil War she and her sister were among
the number of women who plied their needles, making use-
ful articles for the soldiers. At one time when Confederate
troops were at Chambersburg, and trouble anticipated, they
concealed their silver and valuables under wood in a shed,
and did not remove them until assured Oif their safety in the
house.

A member of the Big Spring Presbyterian church, she
was interested in the missionary department and each
winter a box was packed at her home, or that of her sister,
Mrs. Gilmore, and sent to some needy minister or teacher
in the home field. She believed not only in attending divine
service, but in remembering the text and heads of the dis-
course to discuss with the family at home. She kept a Bible
in which she marked each text and the name of the minister
who delivered the sermon. She was practical and above
deceit, true in friendship, devoted to her family.

She did not indulge in idle, trifling conversation. Life
had a deeper, fuller meaning to her. Her sympathies
keenly alive, she did not allow them to overcome her judg-
ment, calm and serene, she was summoned where self
control and a clear brain were needed. Not easily influ-
enced, she had an influence upon others, unconsciously
exerted on many occasions, unrealized by her. She was
not emotional. Under the most strenuous circumstances
she found comfort in her belief that a higher power planned
her life, and she was satisfied. She did not seek a pinnacle
above her sex, but naturally her strong forcible character
asserted itself, and her superior mind lifted her beyond
the ken of the ordinary intellect.

During her declining years she frequently used the pro-
nouns Thee and Thou of the Quaker tongue, the musical flow
of which descended to her through the blood of two genera-
tions and from her lips, in her gentle voice, hushed with
the quietness of a weakened frame, was sweet and impres-



67

sive. She inherited largely from her Quaker ancestress.
Her manner and speech, the contour of her face, her taste
in dress, indicated the richness of her legacy and the true-
ness of her descent.

At the early age of twenty years her hair became white.
Its soft bands and coil, her deep blue eyes, which grew more
earnest and intense as her body lost its vigor, her erect
carriage, the peaceful contentment which follows a well
spent life, the tender ministrations of a daughter, and eager
solicitude of friends, were allotted her, ere she was laid in
the fjig' Spring Presbyterian burial ground beside her hus-
band who died forty years previous. She was physically
strong, inherited a good constitution and ill health was un-
known to her until she developed the physical weakness
which resulted in her death. She was a patient, submissive
sufferer, and bowed willingly to the hand of the God whom
she had served.

To Robert Williamson McFarlane and Lydia Bell
McKinney McFarlane was born one child :

i. JANE ELEANOR McFARLANE, b. Dec. 17, 1843, near
Newville, Penna., removed to Newville when five
years of age, attended the Normal School at that
place, was graduated from the Rosedale Seminary,
Chambersburg. Penna., in the class of 18(31; m. Oct.
]3, 18(34, John Sharp Hays, b. Aug. 6, 1842, near Oak-
ville, Penna., d. Mar. 29, 1877, at Newville, Penna.,
son of Robert Mickey Hays and Hannah Sharp Hays.
He received his early education in the home schools,
attended the Mt. .Joy, Penna., academy, and completed
his business course at the Iron City Commercial Col-
lege, Pittsburg. Penna. Soon after his return from
college he was appointed sergeant of Captain .Tames
Kelso's Company D. One Hundred and Thirtieth
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the War of the
Rebellion, and participated in the battles of Freder-
icksburg and Antietam. At the time of his marriage
he was in the mercantile business, and for two years
previous to his death he was connected with the Peo-
ple's Union Bank at Newville. In politics he was a
Republican, in faith a Presbyterian. He is buried in
the Big Spring Presbyterian graveyard. His wife
resides at Newville. To me, her daughter, my
mother is my ideal of perfect womanhood. Pat-
rick Hays the first ancestor in America came
from County Donegal, Ireland, about 1728, and
settled in Derry township, now Dauphin Co.,

Penna. He was b. in 170.5, m. 1729 .lean

d. 1790. His wife d. 1792 and is buried beside him



58

in the old Derry church graveyard. Qf their six chil-
Jren, David, Robert, Eleanor, William, Jean and Pat-
rick,'the second son, Robert, b. 1733, m. Mar. 25, 1762,
Margaret WraJ^ d. June 6, 1809, served in the Indian
War of 1755-64, and in the Revolution, participated in
the battle of Germantown and Brandywine. Of his
eleven children Jean, John, Patrick. Margaret, Rob-
ert, David, William, James, Samuel, Solomon, Joseph,
the third child, Patrick, b. 1767, m. Jan. 30, 1810, Mar-
garet Mickey, d. July 27, 1856, came to Cumberland-
Co. in 1820 and bought a tract of land near Oak-
ville, on which he erected a large stone house. He
had six children, Margaret m. James McKinstry, Rob-
ert Mickey m. Hannah Sharp, Ezemiah m. Wilson
Sterrett, Mary Ann m. William McCtine, Jane, Lucetta
m. James Dunlap. Robert Mickey Hays, b. May 25,
1813, d. Mar. 4, 1889, m. Dec. 11, 1838, Hannah Sharp, b.
Feb. 25, 1819 d. May 11, 1889, daughter of John Sharp
and Jane McCune Sharp. Of their four children, Mar-
garetta m. Samuel I. Irvine, John Sharp m. Jane El-
eanor McFarlane, Edwin Ruthven m. Maria Louisa
McKinney, Jane Sharp m, Ed^in MoCandlish,

To John Sharp Hays and Jane Eleanor McFarlane Hay.s
were born three children :

i. BELLE McKINNEY HAYS b. Oct. 12, 1867, m.
Sept. 24, 1890, Gilbert Ernest Swope, b. Jan.
24, 1860, at Dansville, N. Y., d. June 17, 1899,
at Newville, Penna., son of Rev. David Swope
and Clara Jane Gilbert S'wope, both of whom
were born at Gettysburg, Penna., of French
Huguenot and German descent, tracing their
ancestry on the Huguenot side for fifteen gen
erations, from Louis DuBois, one of the pat-
entees of New Pfaltz, N. Y., and from the
propositjis, Yost S'wope, who was born in the
Duchess of Swabia in 1678, and later came to
America. Gilbert Ernest Swope was educat-
ed in private schools, entered the drug busi-
ness at Newville in 1882, and so continued
until his death. He was author of "A His-
tory of the Swope Family," published in
1896, "A History of the Big Spring Presby-
terian Church," published in 1898, and a con-
tributor to historical periodicals. He is bur-
ied in the Big Spring Presbyterian graveyard
at Newville, of which 'church he was a mem-
ber,
ii. LUGY SHARP HAYS, b. Nov. 25, 1870.
111. JANE MCFARLANE HAYS, b. May 28, 1874.

III. Jean iMcKinney-^ (Thomas McKinney^, Joseph
MacKenzie^) fifth child of Thomas McKinney and Jane
Bmgham McKmney, was born near Newburg, in Hopewell



59

township, Cumberland Co., Penna. ; died 1823; married at
Carlisle, Penna., November 28, 1793, John Wills, born be-
tween Quigley's Bridge and Newburg, in Cumberland Co.,
Penna., died 1822, at the old home and is buried in
Hanna's graveyard, where his wife was laid the following
year.

The tract of land owned by this branch of the Wills
family lies along the north side of the Conodoguinet creek.
The present house marks the site of the original log build-
ing which stood there for many years and is the first house
beyond Quigley's Bridge, two miles from Newburg, five
miles from Shippensburg. The public road between New-
ville and Newburg ran by the house, and after the organ-
ization of the Hopewell academy in 18 10 the increase in
travel to Newburg was pronotmced, and the monotony of
life lessened. From the date of the settlement until that \
period there was but a small amount of traffic, excepting \
that made by farmers taking their grain to the Quigley •
mill across the creek. Jean McKinney Wills lived only five
miles east of her father's house, with the town of Newburg
between. David Wills, father of John Wills, was a soldier