Nathan Edward Goldthwait.

History of Boone County, Iowa (Volume 1) online

. (page 45 of 49)
Online LibraryNathan Edward GoldthwaitHistory of Boone County, Iowa (Volume 1) → online text (page 45 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


& Northwestern Railroad, which has many connecting lines, thus
facilitating the transportation of goods through Iowa, Nebraska,
Minnesota, the Dakotas and the farther great Northwest. The Chi-
cago, Milwaukee & St. Paul enters the city from the south, afford-
ing a direct outlet to the rich territory served by that line. To these
great transportation facilities is added the Fort Dodge, Des Moines
& Southern, a passenger and freight carrying electric system, which
taps within a distance of forty miles every trunk line railroad in
Iowa.

J. B. McHose left his home in Henry County, Illinois, in 1889,
and coming to Boone, erected a modern brick manufacturing plant,
at which later was installed modern machinery of every descrip-
tion, including a seventy-five horse power Corliss engine. The
clay from which the product is made is located in large quantities
one mile south of the city on the Des Moines River. Not only is
the manufacture of a fine quality of brick a product of this great
industry, but also large tile for drainage purposes. The plant is one
of the best in the state of Iowa and gives steady employment to a
large number of men and boys.

The Quinn Wire & Iron Works is one of the important con-
cerns of Boone and is among the valued plants of its kind in the
state. C. |. Quinn and C. C. Quinn formed a co-partnership in the
year 1900 and in a limited way started the manufacture of hard-
ware specialties in the town of Scranton, Iowa. Their business
grew slowly, but steadily, until in the year 1908, the plant had out-
grown its location, so that responding to an urgent appeal from
the citizens of Boone through its Commercial Association, the

Vol. 1—31

489



490 HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY

Quinn Wire & Iron Works was removed to this city, where it
found abundance of coal, good water and railroad facilities. In
January, 1909, articles of incorporation were issued to the company,
tlic first oflicers of which were: C. J. Quinn, president; and C C.
Quinn, secretary ami treasurer. C. J. Quinn died in the following
October, at the age of seventy-three, which threw the entire manage-
ment of the large business upon C. C. Quinn. who was equal to the
occasion. The factory occupies a large brick structure on Kast
Tuclftli Street, covering about twenty thousand S(]uare feet of floor
space, and has its private switch, where is received all incoming
freight in carlots and where cars are loaded for shipment. The
buildings are well equipped with modern machinery, suitable for
turning out such articles as sash weights, sewer castings, cistern
rings and covers, grate bars, an iron and sieA washing machine and
manv novelties of a useful character.

Perhaps the oldest manufacturing industry in Boone is that of
tlie L. & H. Goeppinger wholesale saddlery firm, l^his business
was founded bv Louis and Henry Goeppinger, in i(S66, and has
been in continuous operation ever since. The Goeppinger whole-
sale saddlery concern occupies a large brick building in the heart
of the business district on Story Street, where are the offices, ship-
ping department and warehous.' stock, also workshops and storage
rooms. There is another building where collars are made — an arti-
cle that finds a ready market throughout the country on account of
its excellence. The fioor space utilized by the firm in the conduct
of its business exceeds twenty thousand square feet, where skilled
mechanics manufacture certain leather articles bv hand, while
others operate the latest improved machinery. The product con-
sists principally of heavy harness, light driving harness, strap work,
saddlery and horse collars.

Boone has a splendid artificial ice plant, which was erected and
put in operation bv George and Albert Rocho, in 1908. The Rocho
brothers have given Boone one of its greatest industries, where
distilled water is manufactured into blocks of pure ice to the extent
of twenty-five tons per day. The plant stands on the site of the old
cereal mill and has direct connections with the Ciiicago & North-
western and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroads, for the
shipment of ice and receiving of articles for cold storage, which is
one of the industries of this concern.

The Boone Brick, Tile & Paving Company's plant is located
on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway and the Boone Suburban



HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY ' 491

Railway, about one mile west of the city limits, and is one of the
largest works of its kind in the West, the daily output being from
sixty to seventy-five thousand brick. The latest improved macliin-
ery is used and the employment of from fifty to seventy-five men
is necessary. The products consist of paving, sidewalk and build-
ing brick, hollow blocks and drain tile. Its face brick is rapidly
growing in poularity. The brick is manufactured from shale clay,
which is found in generous deposits in the biufts on the east side of
the Des Moines River. These deposits consist of fire, potter's and
red shale clays. The company was organized in 191 1 and incor-
porated with a capital stock of $60,000. At the same time it took
over a small brick plant, situated on top of the bluffs, near Incline,
previously operated by George W. Barnes, and later by J. F. Yegge
and O. W. Nystrom. It was Judge J. L. Stevens who interested P.
Hallenbeck, formerly of Boone, but later of Ocean Park, California,
and local men of energy and capital to form the company. Tiie
phint is operated about ten and a half months during the year and
furnishes employment to a large number of men. The present
organization is made up of J. L. Stevens, president; W. H. Brecht,
secretary and sales manager; and A. B. Scott, treasurer and man-
ager.

The Hansen-Westberg Glove Company began the manufacture
of gloves in Boone in March, 1906, furnishing to the trade the
famous black label brand of gloves and mittens. The concern also
makes ladies' furs and fur coats and gives employment to from
fifteen to twenty people. Other products turned out by the company
are tents and awnings. The factory is located on Keeler Street,
between Seventh and Eighth. The members of the firm are A. J.
Holtz and A. L. Westberg.

The Boone Hosiery Mills is an industry of no small importance
to the community. This is a branch of the Des Moines Hosiery
Mills and was opened for operation December 10, 1909, with a
dozen knitting machines, which have been increased to about one
hundred. The mills manufacture cotton, wool and worsted hosiery,
and has its factory on East Eighth Street in a large brick building.

The S. y. Wester Manufacturing Company, with factory
located on Sixth Street, near Story, began business here about thirty
years ago, making and placing on the market a number and variety
of first class articles of every day use, among which may be men-
tioned patent Economy screens for doors and windows, the Benson



492 HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY

seed cleaner and the Twentieth Century clothes reel. S. }. Wester
is the proprietor and manager.

The Boone Glove Works is a concern that manufactures gloves,
mittens, awnings, tents, stack covers, wagon covers and other similar
articles, and has its factory at 1021 Story vStreet. F. S. Garner and
A.. H. Duckworth are the proprietors.

The Fitch Ideal Dandruff Cure Company is the culmination
of the efforts of F. \V. Fitch while conducting a small barber shop
if) this city ten years ago. At that time he began to introduce in a
small way an article of his compounding, to which he gave the
name of Fitch's Dandruff' Remover and Hair Grower. He had
but little means but a firm determination and as the business grew
slowly he finally fitted up a small room-, eight feet square, at his
home, where he mixed his compound, \\hich he bottled and peddled
around from place to place. In about a year he removed his factory
into the basement of his residence and success attending his efforts,
he eventually erected a two-story frame building for a factory,
where he remained until the summer of 1909. At this time the
business had grown to such proportions that he formed a company
and erected one of the finest buildings in the city, located on Seventh
Street, facing Keeler. It is a three-story brick, with a good base-
ment, and contains 12,500 square feet of floor space. Here he manu-
factures the Fitch t(jilet and shampoo preparations. The company
has for its president, F. W. Fitch; secretary and treasurer, J. ].
Kirby.

Among the more recent industrial concerns established here may
be mentioned the Monarch Manufacturing Companv, which makes
machines for the manufacture of cement tile, and also manufactures
specialties, including an advertising machine. Another concern is
the Marshall Vinegar Company.

C. C. Purinton started a small bindery in 1S79, which was run
in connection with the Boone County Republican, then owned by
Means & Downing. The equipment consisted of a ruling machine,
a board cutter and a few bookbinder's tools. The force consisted
of Mr. Purinton and one emplove. However, his business grew
and in the year 1881, more space became necessary, so that the plant
was moved into a larger room. Twelve workmen were given em-
ployment. In 1892 the late C. J. A. Ericson erected for Mr. Purin-
ton a building near the Hoist Hotel. This finally became inade-
quate and in 1904 the adjoining building was leased. Demand for
space continued and was met in 1908, when the Wells Block was



HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY 493

secured for the making of the products of this splendid concern,
consisting of blank books, church calendars and job work of a high
order. One of the most important products of the concern is the
"Purinton Financial System for Weekly Giving Calendar." Almost
every religious communitv favors the device and makes regular
weeklv purchases. Some time ago the company was incorporated,
which now has for its officers: S. L. Moore, president; R. R. Cobb,
vice president; J. H. Eade, secretary and treasurer. Shortly after
the company was organized a splendid building was erected on the
corner of Storv and Sixth streets.

The Hoist Publishing Company, 510 Si.xth Street, has for its
executive head, Bernhart P. Hoist, who among other things, pub-
lishes a Teachers' and Pupils' Cyclopedia, a work originally con-
taining two thousand, two hundred and six pages, of which Mr.
Hoist is the author. Later he secured specialists to prepare articles
pertinent to subjects of interest to instructors and pupils. How-
ever, these classes are not the only patrons. The books are sold to
persons irrespective of their vocations. The Hoist Publishing Com-
panv was established in 1900. In 1909 the original publication was
revised and printed from new plates and now comprises five vol-
umes, with thirty-three hundred and fifty-five pages. Bernhart P.
Hoist has gone a great way through his publications toward mak-
ing Boone widely known in the educational world, as the Hoist Pub-
lishing Company has branches in many of the large cities of the
United States and Canada.

In 1899 a franchise was issued to the Boone Gas Company, a
foreign corporation, of which E. G. Piatt, of Chicago, is president;
George R. Roper, Rockford, Illinois, vice president; and E. C.
Brown, of New York, secretary and treasurer. The plant was estab-
lished at Eighth and Cedar streets, and the laying of mains was
commenced, which vigorously extended over the city. On the
27th day of January, 1900, a fine quality of gas was being supplied
from this splendid utility to a large number of patrons. The prod-
uct made is called carburetted water gas, now almost in universal
use. With offices at 706 Story Street, the company keeps on sale a
full line of gas ranges, gas logs, laundry stoves, heaters, hot water
heaters, incandescent gas lamps, and numerous other articles that
have come into modern use through the invention of appliances for
the use of gas. The plant is fully worth $500,000 and is one of the
well patronized industries of the place. H. G. Stillson is the local
manager.



CHAPTER XLIII
PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS

ERICSON PUBLIC LIBRARY

In this day and generation the people of Iowa are keeping
abreast of every movement that makes for advancement, physically,
morally and mentally. Blessed with all that contributes to the
grosser necessities of mankind, the opportunity is constantly pres-
ent for improvement of the mind and the acquisition of mental
pabulum of the highest order. Iowa stands out prominently and
pre-eminently as a state of schools and colleges, and today it harbors
scarcely a town of any consequence that has not its public library,
well filled with works of fiction, history, science, reference, poetry
and the like.

The citizens of Boone long have maintained a reading room and
library, which always has been well patronized. The inception of
the local public library was due to an informal meeting of a group
of Boone ladies, held at the Methodist Church, September 2, 1885,
as shown by the minutes of the secretary, Maria C. Gibbs. The
object of the meeting was to consider "the advisability of opening a
free reading room in the city of Boone, Mrs. T. C. Peterson acting
as chairman. Discussions ensued and by the unanimous vote of the
ladies present it was decided to organize a society or union for the
carrying out of the above object. It was also determined by vote
that all ladies becoming members of said society should pay a fee
of twenty-five cents.

"The election of oflicers resulted as follows: President, Mrs. H.
G. Burt; secretary, Mrs. P. S. Bibbs; vice president, Mrs. D. F.
Goodykoontz. A committee was elected, consisting of Mesdames
Ensign, Crawford and Barnes to draw up a constitution and by-laws
for said society.

"A resolution committee was appointed, consisting of the fol-
lowing ladies: Mesdames L. W, Clark, McMahon, Bacus, Hughes,
Purinton. Awaiting the results of their efiforts a motion was made
and carried to adjourn until September 11, 1885.

495



496 HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY

"The adjourned meeting of September 2 met at the Presbyterian
Church on Friday, September 11, 1SS5. Meeting called to order
by the president. Minutes of the previous meeting read and ap-
proved. Ihc report of soliciting committee showed that Mrs. Clark
and Mrs. Huglies had collected $189; Mesdames McMahon, Bacus
and Purinton, ^^64; in all ^^253, and this without calling upon all
the citizens. While this sum was given for the purpose of estab-
lishing a free reading room in the city of Boone, yet it was suggested
by many of the donors that the ladies make an etTort to open a public
library in connection with the reading room."

It will be noticed that the idea of a library was in mind even
at this early stage of the undertaking. The reading room was
opened to the public on the 5th of October, 1885, the room being
on the first floor in the rear of the First National Bank building,
later occupied by the Security Savings Bank.

The work was carried on the first year under many difficulties
and \\itii misgivings as to its future existence. I'o show the ways
and means emploved to raise funds to carry on the work, the minutes
of the association relate the following, which may be of interest
at this time:

I'ostmaster Simmons was prevailed upon to give Shakespeare's
play, Macbetli, with his excellent company, the proceeds of which
were $19.65

The society was incorporated as the Public Library Association
of Boone, Iowa, in October, 1886. Its first officers were: President,
Mrs. T. C. Peterson; vice president, Mrs. H. G. Burt; secretary,
Mrs. P. S. Bibbs; treasurer, Mrs. Chan Cook; directors, Mesdames
L. W. Clark, J. O. Barnes, Joshua McMahon.

First account of the books was taken December 17, 1886:

Books on catalogue 228

Books sent by Congressman Holmes 243

Total 47'

In February, 1888, tlie scope of the association was enlarged,
articles of incorporation were issued creating the Public Library
Association of Boone, Iowa, which fell heir to the assets of the par-
ent organization. After a year it was deemed safe to appeal to the
people to accept the library law of the state, and at the spring elec-
tion, in 1889, this appeal was sustained, the city council was asked
to accept the trust and the books and furniture of the Public Library



HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY 497

Association were turned over to the city's care in May, 1889, three
trustees being chosen by the council as provided by the statutes.

The library was moved to the city hall and the office of librarian
devolved upon the city clerk, who found it impossible to devote
much of his time to the new duties gratuitously thrust upon him.
Yet manv books were acquired during the year under his manage-
ment, both by gift and by purchase.

In May, 1894, the mayor of Boone, acting under the provision
of the act of the Twenty-fifth General Assembly, appointed nine
trustees, with terms of two, four and six years respectively, under
whose direction the first card catalog of the books was made by Mrs.
Mary F. Loomis, a graduate of the Albany, New York, Library
School, and the systematic management of the library was com-
menced. The result was seen in increased attendance and widened
circulation of the volumes by the close of the first year and constant
like increase since that date.

Miss Bessie Mofifatt was elected librarian in 1896, and still is
performing the onerous duties of her office, faithfully and effi-
ciently. Her assistants are Miss Sarah Bibbs, first assistant, and
Miss Sadie Stevens, second assistant.

In February, 1900, Senator Charles J. A. Ericson of Boone made
a tender to the city council, proposing to erect a library building
"to cost not less than $10,000," upon condition that a suitable site
be furnished by the city, and the same be forever maintained as a
public library. In March such a site was obtained at a cost of
$4,500, and during the season the building was erected, the interior
finish made in the following winter, and by October, 1901, was
turned over to the city complete with its furnishings, books, heat-
ing plant and competent corps of attendants. Mr. Ericson's gift
was increased before the completion of the enterprise to nearly $12,-
000 and the entire structure, as it now stands, cost nearly nineteen
thousand dollars.

On Wednesday, October 2, 1901, the new C. J. A. Ericson
Library Hall was opened to the public and formally dedicated, with
a well arranged program. The interior had been beautifully decor-
ated and the magnificent gift in all its appointments presented a very
attractive appearance. Mrs. A. J. Barkley presided over the func-
tion and introduced Rev. J. B. Harris, who opened the exercises
with prayer. Then Mrs. Barkley formally introduced Hon. C. J.
A. Ericson, who presented the building to the city in the following
few, but expressive, sentences :



498 HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY

"Mr. Mayor: — This new home for the books just completed, I
now have the pleasure of presenting to the city of Boone, through
you, as its legal representative, to be used for a free library for all
future time." Accepting the gift. Mayor J. J. Snell, said in part:

"It gives me unfeigned pleasure to accept on behalf of the city
of Boone this beautiful library building so generously tendered by
our townsman and friend, Mr. C. J. A. Ericson. Tonight 1 feel it
to be true and, therefore, desire to say upon behalf of the city, that
we prize this gift manv fold more, coming as it does freely from
one among us whom we have long since learned to love and respect,
than we would a gift of perhaps greater pretensions dropped down
out of the great world about us from a hand we have not learned to
honor. The city rejoices tonight in tliis gift, whose halls our feet
mav tread, and its fair proportions our eves delight in as our very
own. It gives us greater joy and satisfaction that in the lifetime
of its donor we can still claim him as one of us, share with him its
possession and at least return the city's thanks."

The new library building is situated on the corner of Green and
Seventh streets. The building is a two-story structure and is without
question one of the finest in the city. The front steps are of stone,
with lamps on each side. The front doors are of glass, showing
the beautiful hall and stairs. On the inside are screen doors.
The big hall is beautifully hiiished. A small flight of stairs
takes you to the reading rooms and library proper. From this level
two grand staircases extend to the second floor and the main audi-
torium. The librarian's desk and office is the center room down
stairs, while in the two adjoining rooms, the books and papers are
kept on file. These rooms are carpeted with cork, which deadens
the sound and gives a finished appearance to the building. The
building is finished throughout with oak.

The auditorium is also finished in the same style as the library.
The upstairs is divided into five rooms besides the hall. 'I"he cen-
ter room is used for a lecture room. To the left is the art gallery
and museum. To the right is the ladies' club room. Just in front
of the art gallery is the board room. To the right of the hall is the
reception room. Toilet rooms are also provided. A private stair-
way leads from the basement to the second floor.

On the exterior the building is finished in terra cotta. Over the
entrance is tlie name of the building: Ericson Library.

The annual report of Librarian Moffatt for the fiscal year end-
ing December 31, 19 13, shows a summary of items from which is




Courthouse
liililiciil College
KI(':uior Jloore Hospital



did Kasti'iii Star Masi.Jiir lloim-
Krifson Library
Post Office



MKWy OF BOONE






kJ^






HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY 49'J

taken the following: Total number of volumes in the library, 14,-
255; total circulation during the year, 17,565; largest daily circula-
tion, 106; smallest, 20; total number of borrowers' cards in force,
3,136; number of days open during the year, 306. Amount received
from city tax levy of two mills on the dollar for support of the
library, $2,547.41 ; amount received from township tax levy of (Mie-
fourth mill on the dollar, $140. The total receipts for the year
were $2,760.84; total expenditures, $2,046.80.

In the year 1913, the board of directors established an historical
department of the library, in token of its appreciation of the interest
manifested by John M. Brainard in matters pertinent thereto. This
valuable addition to the advantages already offered by the manage-
ment now is a permanent feature of the institution and is known as
the Brainard Historical Department. Mr. Brainard is thus hon-
ored, for he has always been an ardent and helpful friend of the
library and a puissant factor in all that makes for its advancement
and perpetuity. In this connection mention also should be made of
Carl Fritz Henning, whose sympathies with the library movement
and its splendid institution often have been substantially declared.
Many cases of birds, mammals, etc., beautifully preserved by the
taxidermist, are on exhibition in the room devoted to this depart-
ment, as loans — practically permanent — from Mr. Henning.

The first president of the library board was J. R. Crary, who
served from 1889 to 1890. His successors were: R. F. Jones, 1898-
1901 ; Hon. C. J. A. Ericson, 1901-1910; Mrs. A. J. Barkley, 1910-
1914. Librarians, F. D. Gay, 1889-1891 ; W. W. Nixon, 1891-1893 ;
Miss Bertha Skliba (now Mrs. George Brown), 1894-1896; Miss
Bessie Moffatt, 1896- 19 14; assistant librarians. Miss Alice Bibbs
(now Mrs. W. W. Loomis), 1900-1905; Miss Sarah Bibbs, first as-
sistant, 1905-1914; Miss Sadie Stevens, second assistant, 1914.

The present board is made up of the following named per-
sons: Mrs. A. J. Barkley, president; J. J. Snell, vice president;
Charles Mason, E. C. Jordan, Mrs. Mary Sherman, Miss Emma
Herman, Miss Mary Bork, H. H. Canfield, S. R. Dyer; Miss Bessie
Moft'att, ex-ofiicio secretary.

ELEANOR MOORE HOSPITAL

The citv of Boone is very fortunate in having identified with
its business and social activities a man like S. L. Moore, who is a
product of that force that mapped out and developed this, the cap-



500 HISTORY OF BOONE COUNTY

ital city of Boone County, and one of the commanding commercial
entities of the great state of Iowa. Mr. Moore stands out pre-emi-
nently as a man of good, big things, dealing out largely of the profits
that naturally come to the capable mind and hanti. There is today,
in this communitv, a monunient which stands not only for generosity,
but rather in its broader sen.se, an enlargement of the means that the



Online LibraryNathan Edward GoldthwaitHistory of Boone County, Iowa (Volume 1) → online text (page 45 of 49)