Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 100 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 100 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and, in 1889, was appointed, by President Harrison,
Postmaster of the city of Chicago, serving over
five years. In 1888 he was cliosen Department
Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic
for the State of Illinois, and, ten years later, to
tlie position of Commander-in-Chief of the order,
which he held at the time of his death. He had
also been, for a number of years, one of tlie Trus-
tees of the Soldiers" and Sailors' Home at Quincy,
and, during most of the time. President of the
Board, Towards the close of the year 1898, he
was appointed by President JIcKinley a member
of the ComniLssion to investigate the conduct of
the Spanish-American War, but. before the Com-
mission had concluded its labors, was taken with
"the grip." which developed into pneumonia,
from which he died in Washington, Feb, 5, 1899.
SEYMOUR, George Franklin, Protestant Epis-
copal Bishop, was born in New York City, Jan. .5,
1829; graduated from Columbia College in 1850,
and from the General Theological Seminary
(New York) in 1854. He received both minor



470



HISTOEICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



and major orders at the hands of Bishop Potter,
being made deacon in 1854 and ordained priest in
1855. For several years he was engaged in mis-
sionary work. During this period he was promi-
nently identified with the founding of St.
Stephen's College. After serving as rector in
various parishes, in 1865 he was made Professor
of Ecclesiastical History in the New York Semi-
nary, and, ten years later, was chosen Dean of
the institution, still retaining his professorship.
Eacine College conferred upon him the degree of
S.T.D., in 1867, and Columbia that of LL.D. in
1878. In 1874 he was elected Bishop of Illinois,
but failed of confirmation in the House of Depu-
ties. Upon the erection of the new diocese of
Springfield (1877) he accepted and was conse-
crated Bishop at Trinity Church, N. Y., June 11,
1878. He was a prominent member of the Third
Pan- Anglican Council (London, 1885), and has
done much to foster the growth and extend the
influence of his church in his diocese.

SHABBONA, a village of De Kalb County, on
the Iowa Division of the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railroad, 25 miles west of Aurora.
Population (1890), 503.

SHABONA (or Shabbona). an Ottawa Chief,
was born near the Maumee River, in Ohio, about
1775, and served under Tecumseh from 1807 to
the battle of the Thames in 1813. In 1810 he
accompanied Tecumseh and Capt. Billy Caldwell
(see Sauganash) to the homes of the Pottawato-
mies and other tribes within the present limits of
Illinois and Wisconsin, to secure their co-oper-
ation in driving the white settlers out of the
country. At the battle of the Thames, he was by
the side of Tecumseh when he fell, and both he
and Caldwell, losing faith in their British allies,
soon after submitted to the United States through
General Cass at Detroit. Shabona was opposed
to Black Hawk in 1832, and did much to thwart
the plans of the latter and aid the whites. Hav-
ing married a daughter of a Pottawatomie cliief,
who had a village on the Illinois River east of
the present city of Ottawa, he lived there for
some time, but finally removed 25 miles north to
Shabona"s Grove in De Kalb County. Here he
remained till 1S37, when he removed to Western
Missouri. Black Hawk's followers having a
reservation near by, hostilities began between
them, in which a son and nephew of Shabona
were killed. He finally returned to his old home
in Illinois, but found it occupied by whites, who
drove him from the grove that bore his name.
Some friends then bought for him twenty acres
of land on Mazon Creek, near Morris, where he



died, July 27, 1859. He is described as a noble
specimen of his race. A life of him has been
published by N. Matson (Chicago, 1878).

SHANNOBf, a village of Carroll County, on the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, 18 miles
southwest of Freeport. It is an important trade
center, has a bank and one newspaper. Popu-
lation (1890), 591.

SHAW, Aaron, former Congressman, born in
Orange County, N. Y., in 1811; was educated at
the Montgomery Academy, studied law and was
admitted to the bar at Goshen in that State. In
1833 he removed to Lawrence County, 111. He
has held various important public offices. He
was a member of the first Internal Improvement
Convention of the State; was chosen State's
Attorney by the Legislature, in which body he
served two terms ; served four years as Judge of
the Twenty-fifth Judicial Circuit; was elected to
the Thirty-fifth Congress in 1856, and to the
Forty-eighth in 1882, as a Democrat.

SHAW, James, lawyer, jurist, was born in Ire-
land, May 3, 1832, brought to this country in in-
fancy and grew up on a farm in Cass County, 111. ;
graduated from Illinois College in 1857, and, after
admission to the bar, began practice at Mount
Carroll, In 1870 he was elected to the lower
house of the General Assembly, being reelected
in 1872, '76 and '78. He was Speaker of the
House during the session of 1877, and one of the
Republican leaders on the floor during the suc-
ceeding session. In 1872 he was chosen a Presi-
dential Elector, and, in 1891, to a seat on the
Circuit bench from the Thirteenth Circuit,
and, in 1897 was re-elected for the Fifteenth
Circuit.

SHAWNEETOWN, an incorporated city, the
county-seat of Gallatin County, 182 miles south-
east of Springfield; situated on the Ohio River
and the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern and tlie
Louisville & Nashville Railroads. It is one of
the oldest towns in the State, having been laid
out in 1808, and a place of importance in Terri-
torial and early State history — noted for the
number of prominent men who resided there.
About 1818 it was one of the largest towns in the
State. Coal and lead are mined in the surround-
ing country, and the city is a shipping point for
both coal and farm products. Pork-packing and
manufacturing are carried on to a moderate
extent. Shawneetown has several mills, a
foundry and machine shop, two or three banks
and two weekly newspapers. The town has
suffered severely from floods in the Ohio River,
within the last few years, the most disastrous



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



477



being those of 18H3 and 1.S9S. Pupuhitioii (ISSO),
1,851; (IfSOO), 2,100.

SHEAHAN, James W., journalist, was born in
Baltimore, Md., spent his early life, after reaching
manhood, in Washington City as a Congressional
Reporter, and, in 1847, reported the proceedings
of the Illinois State Constitutional Convention at
Springfield. Througli the intluenee of Senator
Douglas he was induced, in 18.54, to accept the
editorship of "The Young America" newspaper
at Chicago, which was soon after changed to
"The Chicago Times." Here he remained until
the fall of 1800, when, "The Times" having been
sold and consolidated with "The Herald," a
Buchanan-Breckenridge organ, he established a
new paper called "The Morning Post." This he
made representative of tlie views of the "War
Democrats" as against "The Times," which was
opposed to the war. In May. 186.5, he sold the
plant of "The Post" and it became "Tlie Chicago
Republican" — now "Inter Ocean." A few
months later. Mr. Sheahan accepted a position as
chief writer on the editorial staff of "The Chicago
Tribune," which he retained until his death,
June 17. 1883.

SHEFFIELD, a village of Bureau County, on
the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, 44
miles east of Rock Island ; has valuable coal
mines, a bank and two newspapers. Population
(ISSO). 90.5; (18!)0), 993.

SHELBY COUNTY, lies south of the center of
the State, and contains an area of 776 square
miles. The tide of immigration to this county
was at first from Kentucky, Tennessee and Nortli
Carolina, although later it began to set in from
tlie Northern States. The first cabin in the
county was built by Simeon Wakefield on what is
now the site of W^illiamsburg, first called Cold
Spring. Joseph Daniel was the earliest settler in
what is now Shelbyville, pre-empting ten acres,
which he soon afterward sold to Joseph Oliver,
the pioneer merchant of the county, and fatlier
of the first wliite child born within its limits.
Other pioneers were Shimei Wakefield, Levi
Casey and Samuel Hall. In lieu of hats the early
settlers wore caps made of scjuirrel or coon skin,
with the tails dangling at the backs, and he was
regarded as well dressed who boasted a fringed
buckskin shirt and trousers, with moccasins.
The county was formed in 1827, and Shelbyville
made the county-seat. Both county and town
are named in honor of Governor Shelby, of Ken-
tucky. County Judge Joseph Oliver held the
first court in the cabin of Barnett Bone, and
Judge Theophilus W. Smith presided over the



first Circuit Court in 1828. Coal is ahundant,
and limestone and sandstone are also found. The
surface is somewhat rolling and well wooded.
Tlie Little Waba.sh and Kaskaskia Rivers flow
through the central and southeastern portions.
The county lies in the very heart of the great
corn belt of the State, and has excellent transpor-
tation facilities, being penetrated by four lines of
railway. Population (1880), 30,270; (1890), 31,-
191.

SHELBYVILLE, the county-seat and an incor-
porated city of Shelby County, on the Kaskaskia
River and two lines of railway, 23 miles south-
west of Mattoon and 32 miles southeast of
Decatur. Agriulture, coal-mining, and lumber-
ing are all carried on in the surrounding region.
In the city are a foundry, several large flouring
mills, a woolen mill, agricultural implement
works and other factories, besides a national
bank (capital §7.5,000) one daily, four weekly and
one monthly periodicals. Population (1880),
2,939; (1890), 3,162; (1895), 3,320.

SHELDON, a village of Iroquois County, at the
intersection of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chi-
cago & St. Louis and the Toledo, Peoria & West-
ern Railways, 9 miles east of Watseka; has banks
and a newspaper. The region is agricultural.
Population (1880), 947; (1890), 910.

SHELDON, Benjamin R., jurist, was born in
Massachusetts in 1813, graduated from Williams
College in 1831, studied law at the Yale Law
School, and was admitted to practice in 1836.
Emigrating to Illinois, he located temporarily at
Hennepin, Putnam County, but soon removed to
Galena, and finally to Rockford. In 1848 he was
elected Circuit Judge of the Sixth Circuit, which
afterwards being divided, he was assigned to the
Fourteenth Circuit, remaining until 1870, when
he was elected a Justice of the Supreme Court,
presiding as Chief Justice in 1877. He was re-
elected in 1879, but retired in 1888, being suc-
ceeded by the late Justice Bailey. Died, April
18, 1897.

SHEPPARD, Nathan, author and lecturer, was
born in Baltimore. Md., Nov. 9, 1834; graduated
at Rochester Theological Seminary in 1859; dur-
ing the Civil War was special correspondent of
"The Neiv York World" and "The Chicago Jour-
nal" and "Tribune," and, during the Franco-
German War, of "The Cincinnati Gazette;" also
served as special American correspondent of
"The London Times," and was a contributor to
"Frazer"s Magazine" and "Temple Bar." In 1873
he became a lecturer on Modern English Liter-
ature and Rhetoric in Chicago University and.



478



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



four years later, accepted a similar position in
Allegheny College; also spent four years in
Europe, lecturing in the principal towns of Great
Britain and Ireland. In 1884 he founded the
"Athenaeum" at Saratoga Springs, N. Y , of
which he was President vintil his death, early in
1888. "The Dickens Reader," "Character Read-
ings from George Eliot" and "Essays of George
Eliot" were among the volumes issued by him
between 1881 and 1887. Died in New York City,
Jan. 24, 1888.

SHERMAN, Alson Smith, early Chicago Mayor,
was born at Barre, Vt., April 31, 1811, remaining
there until 1836, when he came to Chicago and
began business as a contractor and builder. Sev-
eral years later he opened the first stone quarries
at Lemont, 111. Mr. Sherman spent many years
in the service of Chicago as a public official.
From 1840 to 1843 he was Captain of a company
of militia ; for two years served as Chief of the
Fire Department, and was elected Alderman in
1843, serving again in 1846. In 1844, he was
chosen Mayor, his administration being marked
by the first extensive public improvements made
in Chicago. After his term as Mayor he did
much to secure a better water supply for the
city. He was especially interested in promoting
common school education, being for several years
a member of the City School Board. He was
Vice-President of the first Board of Trustees of
Northwestern University. Retired from active
pursuits, Mr. Sherman is now (1899) spending a
serene old age at Waukegan, 111. — Oren (Sherman)
brother of the preceding and early Chicago mer-
chant, was born at Barre, Vt., March 5, 1816.
After spending several years in a mercantile
house in Montpelier, Vt., at the age of twenty he
came west, first to New Buffalo, Mich., and, in
1836, to Chicago, opening a dry-goods store there
the next spring. With various partners Mr.
Sherman continued in a general mercantile busi-
ness until 1853, at the same time being extensively
engaged in the provision trade, one-half the entire
transactions in pork in the city passing through
his hands. Next lie engaged in developing stone
quarries at Lemont, 111. ; also became extensively
interested in the marble business, continuing in
this until a few years after the panic of 1873,
when he retired in consequence of a shock of
paralysis. Died, in Chicago, Dec. 15, 1898.

SHERMAN, Elijah B., lawyer, was born at
Fairfield, Vt., June 18, 1833— his family being
distantly related to Roger Sherman, a signer of
the Declaration of Independence, and the late
G«n. W. T. Sherman ; gained his education in the



common schools and at Middlebury College,
where he graduated in 1860 ; began teaching, but
soon after enlisted as a private in the war for the
Union; received a Lieutenant's commission, and
served until captured on the eve of the battle at
Antietam, when he was paroled and sent to Camp
Douglas. Chicago, awaiting exchange. During
this period he commenced reading law and, hav-
ing resigned his commission, graduated from the
law department of Chicago University in 1864
In 1876 he was elected Representative in the
General Assembly from Cook County, and re-
elected in 1878, and the following year appointed
Master in Chancery of the United States District
Court, a position which he still occupies He has
repeatedly been called upon to deliver addresses
on political, literary and patriotic occasions, one
of these being before the alumni of his alma
mater, in 1884, when he was complimented with
the degree of LL.D.

SHIELDS, James, soldier and United States
Senator, was born in Ireland in 1810, emigrated
to the United States at the age of sixteen and
began the practice of law at Kaskaskia in 1832.
He was elected to the Legislature in 1836, and
State Auditor in 1839. In 1843 he became a
Judge of the Supreme Court of the State, and, in
1845. was made Commissioner of the General
Land Office. In July, l!S46, he was commissioned
Brigadier-General in the Mexican War gaining
the brevet of Major-General at Cerro-Gordo,
where he was severely wounded. He was again
wounded at Chapultepec, and mustered out in
1848. The same year he was appointed Governor
of Oregon Territory. In 1849 the Democrats in
the Illinois Legislature elected him Senator, and
he resigned his office in Oregon. In 1856 he
removed to Minnesota, and, in 1858, was chosen
United States Senator from that State, his term
expiring in 1859, when he established a residence
in California. At the outbreak of the Civil War
(1861) he was superintending a mine in Mexico,
but at once hastened to Washington to tender his
services to the Governmnet. He was commis
sioned Brigadier-General, and served with dis-
tinction until March, 1863, when the effect of
numerous wounds caused him to resign. He sub-
sequently removed to Missouri, practicing law at
Carrollton and serving in the Legislature of that
State in 1874 and 1879. In the latter year he was
elected United States Senator to fill out the unex-
pired term of Senator Bogy, who had died in
office — serving only six weeks, but being the only
man in the history of the country who filled the
office of United States Senator from three differ-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



47!l



ent States. Died, at Ottumwa, Iowa, June 1,
1879.

SHIPMAX,a town of Macoupin County, on the
Chicago & Alton Railway, 19 miles north-north-
east of Alton and 14 miles southwest of Cailin-
ville. Population (1890), 410.

SHIPMAN, George E., M.D., physician and
philanthropist, born in New York City, March 4,
1820 ; graduated at the University of New York
in 1839, and took a course in the College of Phy-
sicians and Surgeons; practiced for a time at
Peoria, 111., but, in 1840, located in Chicago, where
he assisted in organizing the first Homeopathic
Hospital in that city, and, in 18.55, was one of tlie
first Trustees of Hahnemann College. In 1871 he
established, in Chicago, the Foundlings' Home at
his own expense, giving to it the latter years of
his life. Died. Jan. 20, 1893.

SHOREY, Daniel Lewis, lawyer and philan-
thropist, was born at Jonesborough, Washington
County, Maine, Jan. 31, 1824; educated at Phil-
lips Academy, Andover, Mass., and at Dartmouth
College, graduating from the latter in 18.'Jl ;
taught two years in Washington City, meanwhile
reading law, afterwards taking a course at Dane
Law School, Cambridge ; was admitted to the bar
in Boston in 1854, the next year locating at
Davenport, Iowa, where he remained ten years.
In 1865 he removed to Chicago, where he prose-
cuted his profession until 1890, when he retired.
Mr. Shorey was prominent in the establishment
of the Chicago Public Library, and a member of
the first Library Board; was also a prominent
member of the Chicago Literary Club, and was a
Director in the new University of Chicago and
deeply interested in its prosperity. Died, in Chi-
cago, March 4, 1899.

SHORT, (Rev.) William F., clergyman and
educator, was born in Ohio in 1829, brought to
Morgan County, 111., in childhood, and lived upon
a farm until 20 years of age, when he entered
McKendree College, spending his senior year,
however, at Wesleyan University, Bloomington,
where he graduated in 18.54. He had meanwhile
accepted a call to the Missouri Conference Semi-
nary at Jackson, Mo. ; where he remained three
years, when he returned to Illinois, serving
churches at Jacksonville and elsewhere, for a
part of the time being Presiding Elder of the
Jacksonville District. In 1875 he was elected
President of Illinois Female College at Jackson-
ville, continuing in that position until 1893, when
lie was appointed Superintendent of the Illinois
State Institution for the Blind at the same place,
but resigned early in 1897. Dr. Short received



the degree of D.D., conferred upon him by Ohio
Wesleyan University.

SHOUP, George L., United States Senator,
was born at Kittanning, Pa. , June 15, 1836 ; came
to Illinois in 1852, his father locating on a stock-
farm near Galesburg; in 1859 removed to Colo-
rado, where he engaged in mining and mercantile
business until 1861, when he enlisted in a com-
pany of scouts, being advanced from the rank of
First Lieutenant to the Colonelcy of the Third
Colorado Cavalry, meanwhile serving as Delegate
to the State Constitutional Convention of 1864.
Retiring to private life, he again engaged in mer-
cantile and mining business, first in Nevada and
then in Idaho; served two terms in the Terri-
torial Legislature of the latter, was appointed
Territorial Governor in 1889 and. in 1890, was
chosen the first Governor of the State, in October
of the same year being elected to the United
States Senate, and re-elected in 1895 for a second
term, which ends in 1901. Senator Shoup is one
of the few Western Senators who remained faith-
ful to the regular Republican organization, during
the political campaign of 1896.

SHOWALTER, John W., jurist, was born in
Mason County. Ky., Feb. 8, 1844; resided some
years in Scott County in that State, and was
educated in the local schools, at Maysville and
Ohio University, finally graduating at Yale Col-
lege in 1867; came to Chicago in 1869, studied
law and was admitted to the bar in 1870. He
returned to Kentucky after the fire of 1871, but,
in 1872, again came to Chicago and entered the
employment of the firm of Moore & Caulfield.
with whom he had been before the fire. In 1879
he became a member of the firm of Abbott,
Oliver & Showalter (later, Oliver & Showalter),
where he remained until his appointment as
United States Circuit Judge, in March, 1895.
Died, in Chicago, Dec. 12, 1898. /

SHUMAN, Andrew, journalist and Lieutenant-
Governor, was born at Manor, Lancaster County,
Pa.. Nov. 8, 1830, His fatlier dying in 1837, he
was reared by an uncle. At the age of 15 he
became an apprentice in the office of "The Lan-
caster Union and Sentinel." A year later he ac-
companied his employer to Auburn, N.Y., working
for two years on "The Daily Advertiser" of that
city, then known as Governor Seward's "home
organ." At the age of 18 he edited, published
and distributed — during his leisure hours — a
small weekly paper called "The Auburnian." At
the conclusion of his apprenticeship he was em-
ployed, for a year or two, in editing and publish-
ing "The Cayuga Chief," a temperance jounuil.



480



HISTOEICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OP ILLINOIS.



In 1851 he entered Hamilton College, but, before
the completion of his junior year, consented, at
the solicitation of friends of William H. Seward,
to assume editorial control of "The Syracuse
Daily Journal. " In July, 1856, he came to Chi-
cago, to accept an editorial position on "The
Evening Journal" of that city, later becoming
editor-in-chief and President of the Journal Com-
pany. From 1865 to 1870 (first by executive
appointment and afterward by popular election)
he was a Commissioner of the Illinois State Peni-
tentiary at Joliet, resigning the office four years
before the expiration of his term. In 1876 he
was elected Lieutenant-Governor on the Repub-
lican ticket. Owing to declining health, he
abandoned active journalistic work in 1888,
dying in Chicago, May 5, 1890. His home during
the latter years of his life was at Evanston.
Governor Shuman was author of a romance
entitled "Loves of a Lawyer," besides numerous
addresses before literary', commercial and scien-
tific associations.

SHUMWAY, Dorice Dwight, merchant, was
born at Williamsburg, Worcester County, Mass. ,
Sept. 38, 1813, descended from French Huguenot
ancestry; came to Zanesville, Ohio, in 1837, and
to Montgomery County, 111., in 1841; married a
daughter of Hiram Rountree, an early resident
of Hillsboro, and, in 1843, located in Christian
County ; was engaged for a time in merchandis-
ing at Taylorville, but retired in 1858, thereafter
giving his attention to a large landed estate. In
1846 he was chosen Representative in the General
Assembly, served in the Constitutional Conven-
tion of 1847, and four years as County Judge of
Christian C6unty. Died, May 9, 1870. — Hiram
P. (Shumway), eldest son of the preceding, was
born in Montgomery County, 111., June, 1842;
spent his boyhood on a farm in Christian County
and in his father's store at Taylorville; took an
academy course and, in 1864, engaged in mercan-
tile business ; was Representative in the Twenty-
eighth General Assembly and Senator in the
Thirty-sixth and Thirty-seventh, afterwards
removing to Springfield, where he engaged in
the stone business.

SHURTLEFF C0LLE(5E, an institution
located at Upper Alton, and the third estab-
lished in Illinois. It was originally incorporated
as the "Alton College" in 1831, under a special
charter which was not accepted, but re-incorpo-
rated in 1885, in an "omnibus bill" with Illi-
nois and McKendree Colleges. (See Early Col-
leges.) Its primal origin was a school at Rock
Spring in St. Clair County, founded about 1824,



by Rev. John M. Peck. This became the "Rock
Spring Seminary" in 1827, and, about 1831, was
united with an academy at Upper Alton. This
was the nucleus of "Alton" (afterward "Shurt-
leff") College. As far as its denominational
control is concerned, it has always been domi-
nated by Baptist influence. Dr. Peck"s original
idea was to found a school for teaching theology
and Biblical literature, but this project was at
first inhibited by the State. Hubbard Loomis



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 100 of 207)