Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 12 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 12 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


course in Knox College at Galesburg, then a
manual-labor school, supporting himself by work-
ing in a wagon and plow shop, sawing wood,
etc. In May. 1852, he was married to Miss Myrar
Colby, a teacher, with whom he went to Mem-
phis, Tenn., the same year, where they engaged
in teaching a select school, the subject of this
sketch meanwhile devoting some attention to
reading law. He was admitted to the bar there,
but after a stay of less than two years in Mem-
phis, returned to Chicago aud began practice.
In 1861 he was elected County Judge of Cook
County, and re-elected four years later, bvit
declined a re-election in 18G9. The first half of
his term occurring during the progress of the
Civil War, he had the opportunity of rendering
some vigorous decisions which won for him the
reputation of a man of courage and inflexible
independence, as well as an incorruptible cham-
pion of justice. In 1873 he was elected to the
lower branch of the Twenty-eighth General
Assembly from Cook County, and re-elected in
1874. He was again a candidate in 1882, and by
many believed to have been honestly elected,
though his opponent received the certificate. He
made a contest for the seat, and the majority of
the Committee on Elections reported in his
favor; but he was defeated through the treach-
ery and suspected corruption of a professed polit-
ical friend. He is the author of the law making
women eligible to school offices in Illinois and



allowing them to become Notaries Public, and
has always been a champion for equal rights for
women in the professions and as citizens. He
was a Second Lieutenant of the One Hundred and
Fifth Regiment, Illinois Jlilitia, in 1848; presided
over the American Woman's Suffrage Associa-
tion at its organization in Cleveland; has been
President of the Chicago Press Club, of the Chi-
cago Bar Association, and, for a number of years,
the- Historian of the latter; one of the founders
and President of the Union League Club, besides
being associated with many other social and
business organizations. At present (1899) he is
editor of "The Chicago Legal News," founded by
his wife thirty years ago, and with which he has
been identified in a business capacity from its
establishment.— Myra Colby (Bradwell), the wife
of Judge Bradwell, was born at Manchester, 'Vt.,
Feb. 12, 1831 — being descended on her mother's
side from the Chase family to which Bishop
Philander Chase and Salmon P. Chase, the latter
Secretary of the Treasury and Chief Justice of
the Supreme Court by appointment of Abraham
Lincoln, belonged. In infancy she was brought
to Portage, N. Y., wliere she remained until she
was twelve years of age, when her family re-
moved west. She attended school in Kenosha,
Wis. , and a seminary at Elgin, afterwards being
engaged in teaching. On May 18, 18.52, she was
married to Judge Bradwell, almost immediately
going to Memphis, Tenn. , where, with the assist-
ance of her husband, she conducted a select school
for some time, also teaching in the public schools,
when they returned to Chicago. In the early
part of the Civil War she took a deep interest in
the welfare of the soldiers in the field and their
families at home, becoming President of the
Soldiers' Aid Society, and was a leading spirit in
the Sanitary Fairs held in Chicago in 1863 and in
1865. After the war she commenced the study
of law and, in 1868, began the pubhcation of
"The Chicago Legal News, " with which she re-
mained identified until her death — also publishing
biennially an edition of the session laws after
each session of the General Assembly. After
passing a most creditable examination, applica-
tion was made for her admission to the bar in
1871, but denied in an elaborate decision rendered
by Judge C. B. Lawrence of the Supreme Court
of the State, on tlie sole ground of sex, as
was also done by the Supreme Court of the
United States in 1873, on the latter occasion
Chief Justice Chase dissenting. She was finally
admitted to the bar on March 28, 1892, and was
the first lady member of the State Bar Associ-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



59



ation. Other organizations witli wliich she was
identified embraced tlie Illinois State Press
Association, the Board of Managers of the Sol-
diers' Home (in war time), the "Illinois Industrial
Scliool for Girls" at Evanston, the Washingtonian
Home, the Board of Lady Managers of the
World's Columbian Exposition, and Chairman of
the Woman's Committee on Jurisprudence of the
World's Congress Auxiliary of 1893. Although
much before the public during tlie latter years of
her life, she never lost the refinement and graces
which belong to a true woman. Died, at her
liome in Chicago, Feb. 14, 1894.

BRAIDWOOD, a city in Will County, incorpo-
rated in 1860; is 58 miles from Chicago, on the
Chicago & Alton Railroad ; an important coal-
mining point, and in the heart of a rich
agricultural region. It has a bank and a weekly
newspaper. Population (1880), 5,534: (1890), 4,641.

BRANSOX, Nathaniel W., lawyer, was born in
Jacksonville, 111.. May 29, 1837; was educated in
the private and public schools of that city and at
Illinois College, graduating from the latter in
1857; studied law with David A. Smith, a promi-
nent and able lawyer of Jacksonville, and was
admitted to the bar in January, 1860, soon after
establishing himself in practice at Petersburg,
Menard County, where he has ever since resided.
In 1867 Mr. Branson was appointed Register in
Bankruptcy for the Springfield District — a po-
sition which he held thirteen years. He was also
elected Representative in the General Assembly
in 1873, by reelection in 1874 serving foui- years
in the stormy Twenty-eighth and Twenty-ninth
General Assemblies ; was a Delegate from Illinois
to the National Republican Convention of 1876,
and served for several years most efficiently as a
Trustee of the State Institution for the Blind at
Jacksonville, part of the time as President of the
Board. Politically a conservative Republican,
and in no sense an office-seeker, the official po-
sitions which he has occupied have come to him
unsought and in recognition of his fitness and
capacity for the proper discharge of their duties.

BRAYMAX, Mason, lawyer and soldier, was
born in Buffalo, N. Y., May 33, 1813; brought up
as a farmer, became a printer and edited "The
Buffalo Bulletin," 1834-35; .studied law and was
admitted to the bar in 1836; removed west in
1837. was City Attorney of Monroe, Mich., in 1838
and became editor of "The Louisville Adver-
tiser" in 1841. In 1842 he opened a law office in
Springfield, 111., and the following j'ear was
appointed by Governor Ford a commissioner to
adjust the Mormon troubles, in which capacity



he rendered valuable servic'e. In 1844-45 he was
appointed to revise the statutes of the State.
Later he devoted much attention to railroad
enterprises, being attorney of the Illinois Central
Railroad, 1851-55; then projected the construe
tion of a railroad from Bird's Point, opposite
Cairo, into Arkansas, which was partially com-
pleted before the war, and almost wholly de-
stroyed during that period. In 1861 he entered
the service as Major of the Twent3'-ninth Illinois
Volunteers, taking part in a number of the early
battles, including Fort Donelson and Shiloli;
was promoted to a colonelcy for meritorious con-
duct at the latter, and for a time served as
Adjutant-General on the staff of General McCler-
nand; was promoted Brigadier General in Sep-
tember, 1863, at the close of the war receiving
the brevet rank of Major-General. After the
close of the war he devoted considerable atten-
tion to reviving his railroad enterprises in the
South; edited "The Illinois State Journal,"
1873 73; removed to Wisconsin and was ap-
pointed Governor of Idaho in 1876, serving four
years, after which he returned to Ripon, Wis.
Died, in Kansas City, Feb. 27, 1895.

BREESE, a town in Clinton County, on the
Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railway, 39
miles east of St. Louis; has a bank and a weekly
newspaper. Population (1880), 574; (1890), 808.

BREESE. Sidney, statesman and jurist, was
born at Whitesboro, N Y., (according to the
generally accepted authority) July 15, 1800.
Owing to a certain sensitiveness about his age in
his later years, it has been exceedingly difficult
to secure authentic data on the subject; but his
arrival at Kaskaskia in 1818, after graduating at
Union College, and his admission to the bar in
1830, have induced many to believe that the date
of his birth should be placed somewhat earlier.
He was related to some of the most prominent
families in New York, including the Livingstons
and the Morses, and, after his arrival at Kaskas-
kia, began the study of law with his friend Elias
Kent Kane, afterwards United States Senator.
Meanwhile, having served as Postmaster at Kas-
kaskia, he became Assistant Secretary of State,
and, in December, 1830, superintended the re-
moval of the archives of that office to "V'andalia,
the new State capital. Later he was appointed
Prosecuting Attorney, serving in that position
from 1823 till 1837, when he became United
States District Attorney for Illinois. He was
the first official reporter of tlie Supreme Court,
issuing its first volume of decisions; served as
Lieutenant -Colonel of volunteers during the



60



HISTOKICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Black Hawk War (1832) ; in 1835 was elected to
the circuit bench, and, in 1841, was advanced to
the Supreme bench, serving less than two years,
when he resigned to accept a seat in the United
States Senate, to which he was elected in 1848 as
the successor of Richard M. Young, defeating
Stephen A. Douglas in the first race of the latter
for the office. While in the Senate (1843-49) he
served as Chairman of the Committee on Public
Lands, and was one of the first to suggest the
construction of a transcontinental railway to the
Pacific. He was also one of the originators and
active promoters in Congress of tlie Illinois Cen-
tral Railroad enterprise. He was Speaker of the
Illinois House of Representatives in 1851 ; again
became Circuit Judge in 1855 and returned to
the Supreme bench in 1857 and served more than
one term as Chief Justice, the last being in
1873-74. His home during most of his public life
in Illinois was at Carlyle. His death occurred
at Pinckneyville. June 28, 1878.

BRENTANO, Lorenzo, was born at Mannheim,
in the Grand Ducliy of Baden, Germany, Nov.
14, 1813; was educated at the Universities o!
Heidelberg and Freiburg, receiving the degree of
LL.D., and attaining liigh honors, both profes-
sional and political. He was successively a
member of the Baden Chamber of Deputies and
of the Frankfort Parliament, and always a leader
of the revolutionist party. In 1849 he became
President of the Provisional Republican Gov-
ernment of Baden, but was. before long, forced
to find an asylum in the United States. He first
settled in Kalamazoo County. Mich., as a farmer,
but, in 1859, removed to Chicago, where he was
admitted to the Illinois bar, but soon entered the
field of journalism, becoming editor and part
proprietor of "The Illinois Staats Zeitung." He
lield various public offices, being elected to the
Legislature in 1862, serving five years as Presi-
dent of the Chicago Board of Education, was a
Republican Presidential Elector in 18G8, and
United States Consul at Dresden in 1872 (a gen-
eral amnesty having been granted to the
participants in the revolution of 1848), and
Representative in Congress from 1877 to 1879.
Died, in Chicago, Sept. 17, 1891.

BEIDGEPORT, a town of Lawrence County,
on the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railroad,
14 miles west of Vincennes, Ind. It has a bank
and one weekly paper. Population (1890), 559.

BRIDGEPORT, a former suburb (now a part of
the city) of Chicago, located at the junction of
the Illinois & Michigan Canal with the South
Branch of the Chicago River. It is now the



center of the large slaughtering and packing
industry.

BRIDGEPORT & SOUTH CHICAGO RAIL-
WAY. (See Chicago & Northern Pacific Railroad.)

BRIGHTON, a village of Macoupin County, at
the intersection of the Chicago & Alton and the
Rock Island and St. Louis branch of the Chicago,
Burlington & Quincy Railways; coal is mined
here; has a newspaper. Population (1880), 691;
(1890), 697.

BRIMFIELD, a town of Peoria County, on the
Buda and Rushville branch of the Chicago, Bur-
lington & Quincy Railway. 38 miles south of
Buda; coal-mining and farming are the chief
industries. It has one weekly paper and a bank.
Population (1880), 832; (1890), 719.

BRISTOL, Frank Milton, clergyman, was born
in Orleans County, N. Y. , Jan. 4, 1851 ; came
to Kankakee, 111., in boyhood, and having lost
his father at 12 years of age, spent the following
years in various manual occupations until about
nineteen years of age, when, having been con-
verted, he determined to devote his life to the
ministry Tlirough the aid of a benevolent lady,
he was enabled to get two years' (1870-72) instruc-
tion at the Northwestern University, at Evans-
ton, afterwards supporting himself by preaching
at various points, meanwhile continuing his
studies at the University until 1877. After com-
pleting his course he served as pastor of some of
the most prominent Methodist churches in Chi-
cago, his last charge in the State being at Evans-
ton. In 1897 he was transferred to Washington
City, becoming pastor of the Metropolitan M. E.
Church, attended by President McKinley Dr.
Bristol is an author of some repute and an orator
of recognized ability.

BROADWELL, Norman M., lavryer, was born
in Morgan County, 111., August 1, 1825; was edu-
cated in the common schools and at McKendree
and Illinois Colleges, but compelled by failing
health to leave college without graduating ; spent
some time in the book business, then began the
study of medicine with a view to benefiting his
own health, but finally abandoned this and, about
1850, commenced the study of law in the office of
Lincoln & Herndon at Springfield. Having been
admitted to the bar, he practiced for a time at
Pekin, but, in 1854, returned to Springfield,
where he spent the remainder of his life. In 1860
he was elected as a Democrat to the House of
Representatives from Sangamon County, serving
in the Twenty-second General Assembly. Other
offices held by him included those of County
Judge (1863-65) and Mayor of the city of Spring-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



field, to wliich last position he was twice elected
(1867 and again in 1869). Judge Broadwell was
one of the most genial of men, popular, high-
minded and honorable in all his dealings. Died,
in Springfield, Feb. 28. 1893.

BROOKS, John Flavel, educator, was born
in Oneida County, New York, Dec. 3, 1801;
graduated at Hamilton College, 1828; studied
three years in the theological department of Yale
College ; was ordained to the Presbyterian min-
istry in 1831, and came to Illinois in the service
of the American Home Missionary Society.
After preaching at CoUinsville, Belleville and
other points, Mr. Brooks, who was a member of
the celebrated "Yale Band," in 1837 assumed the
principalship of a Teachers' Seminary at Waverly,
Morgan County, but three years later removed to
Springfield, where he established an academy for
both sexes. Although finally compelled to
abandon this, he continued teaching with some
interruptions to within a few years of his death,
which occurred in 1886. He was one of the Trus-
tees of Illinois College from its foundation up to
his death.

BROSS, William, journalist, was born in Sus-
sex County, N. J., Nov. 14, 1813, and graduated
with honors from Williams College in 1838, hav-
ing previously developed his physical strength
by much hard work upon the Delaware and
Hudson Canal, and in the lumbering trade. For
five years after graduating he was a teacher, and
settled in Chicago in 1848. Th jre he first engaged
in bookselling, but later embarked in journalism.
His first publication was "The Prairie Herald," a
religious paper, which was discontinued after
two years. In 18j3, in connection with John L.
Scripps, he founded "The Democratic Press,"
which was consolidated with "The Tribune" in
1858, Mr. Bross retaining his connection with tlie
new concern. He was always an ardent free-
soiler, and a firm believer in the great future of
Chicago and the Northwest. He was an enthusi-
astic Republican, and, in 1806 and 1860, served as
an effective campaign orator. In 1864 he was
the successful nominee of his party for Lieuten-
ant-Governor. This was his only official position
outside of a membership in the Chicago Common
Council in IS.jo. As a presiding officer, he was
dignified yet affable, and his impartiality was
shown by the fact that no appeals were taken
from his decisions. After quitting public life he
devoted much time to literary pursuits, deliver-
ing lectures in various parts of the country.
Among his best known works are a brief "His-
tory of Chicago," "History of Camp Douglas,"



and "Tom Quick." Died, in Chicago. Jan. 27,
1890.

BROWN, Henry, lawyer and historian, was
born at Hebron, Tolland County, Conn., May 13,
1789 — the son of a commissary in the army of
General Greene of Revolutionary fame; gradu-
ated at Yale College, and, when of age, removed
to New York, later studying law at Albany,
Canandaigua and Batavia, and being admitted to
the bar about 1813, when he settled down in
practice at Cooperstowu; in 1816 was appointed
Judge of Herkimer County, remaining on the
bench until about 1824. He then resumed prac-
tice at Cooperstown, continuing until 1836, when
lie removed to Chicago. The following year he
was elected a Justice of the Peace, serving two
years, and, in 1843, became Prosecuting Attorney
of Cook County. During this period he was
engaged in writing a "History of Illinois," wluch
was published in New York in 1844 This was
regarded at the time as the most voluminous and
best digested work on Illinois history that had as
yet been published. In 1846, on assuming the
Presidency of the Chicago Lyceum, he delivered
an inaugural entitled "Chicago, Present and
Future," which is still preserved as a striking
prediction of Chicago's future greatness. Origi-
nally a Democrat, he became a Freesoiler in 1848.
Died of cholera, in Chicago, May 16, 1849.

BROWN, James B., journalist, was born in
Gilmanton, Belknap County, N. H., Sept. 1,
1833 — his father being a member of the Legisla-
ture and Selectman for his town. The son was
educated at Gilmanton Academy, after which he
studied medicine for a time, but did not gradu-
ate. In 18.57 he removed West, first settling at
Dunleith, Jo Daviess County, 111., where he
became Principal of the public schools; in 1861
was elected County Superintendent of Schools
for Jo Daviess County, removing to Galena two
years later and assuming the editorship of "The
Gazette" of that city. Jlr. Brown also served as
Postmaster of Galena for several years. Died,
Feb. 13, 1896.

BROWN, James N., agriculturist and stock-
man, was born in Fayette County, Ky., Oct. 1,
1806; came to Sangamon County, 111., in 1833,
locating at Island Grove, where he engaged
extensively in farming and stock-raising. He
served as Representative in the General Assem-
blies of 1840, '42, '46, and '52, and in the last was
instrumental in securing tlie incorporation of the
Illinois State Agricultural Society, of which he
was chosen the first President, being re-elected in
1834. He was one of the most entei-prising grow-



63



HISTOEICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



ers of blooded cattle in the State and did much to
introduce them in Central Illinois ; was also an
earnest and influential advocate of scientific
education for the agricultural classes and an
efficient colaborer with Prof. J. B. Turner, of
Jacksonville, in securing the enactment bj^ Con-
gress, in 1862, of the law granting lands for the
endowment of Industrial Colleges, out of which
grew the Illinois State University and institu-
tions of like character in other States. Died,
Nov. 16, 1868.

BROWN, William, lawyer and jurist, was born
June 1, 1819, in Cumberland, England, his par-
ents emigrating to this country when he was
eight years old, and settling in Western New
York. He was admitted to the bar at Rochester,
in October, 1845, and at once removed to Rock-
ford. 111., where he commenced practice. In 1S'>2
he was elected State's Attorney for the Four-
teenth Judicial Circuit, and, in 1857, was chosen
Mayor of Rockford. In 1870 he was elected to
the bench of the Circuit Court as successor to
Judge Sheldon, later was promoted to the Su-
preme Court, and was re-elected successively in
1873, in '79 and "85. Died, at Rockford, Jan. 15,
1891.

BROWN, William H., lawyer and financier,
was born in Connecticut, Dec. 20, 1796 ; spent
his boyhood at Auburn, N. Y., studied law, and,
in 1818, came to Illinois with Samuel D. Lock-
wood (afterwards a Justice of the State Supreme
Court), descending the Ohio River to Shawnee-
town in a flat-boat. Mr. Brown visited Kaskas-
kia and was soon after appointed Clerk of the
United States District Court by Judge Nathaniel
Pope, removing, in 1820. to Vandalia, the new
State capital, where he remained until 1835. He
then removed to Chicago to accept the position of
Cashier of the Chicago branch of the State Bank
of Illinois, which he continued to fill for many
years. He served the city as School Agent for
thirteen years (1840-53), managing the city's
school fund through a critical period with great
discretion and success. He was one of the group
of early patriots who successfully resisted the
attempt to plant slavery in Illinois in 1823-24;
was also one of the projectors of the Chicago &
Galena Union Railroad, was President of the
Chicago Historical Society for seven years and
connected with many other local enterprises.
He was an ardent personal friend of President
Lincoln and served as Representative in the
Twenty-second General Assembly (1860-62).
While making a tour of Europe he died of paraly-
sis at Amsterdam, June 17, 1867.



BROWN COUNTY, situated in the western
part of the State, with an area of 300 square
miles, and a population (1890) of 11,951; was cut
off from Scliuyler and made a separate county in
May, 1839, being named in lionor of Gen. Jacob
Brown. Among the pioneer settlers were the
Vandeventers and Hambaughs, John and David
Six, William McDaniel, Jeremiah Walker,
Willis O'Neil, Harry Lester, John Ausmus and
Robert H. Curry. The county-seat is Mount
Sterling, a town of no little attractiveness.
Other prosperous villages are Mound Station and
Ripley. The chief occupation of the people is
farming, although there is some manufacturing
of lumber and a few potteries along the Illinois
River.

BROWNE, Francis Fisher, editor and author,
was born in South Halifax, Vt., Dec. 1, 1843, the
son of William Goldsmith Browne, who was a
teacher, editor and author of the song "A Hun-
dred Years to Come." In childhood he was
brought by his parents to Western Massachusetts,
where he attended the public schools and learned
the printing trade in his father's newspaper
office at Chicopee, Mass. Leaving school in 18G2,
he enlisted in the Forty-sixth Regiment Massa-
chusetts Volunteers, in which he served one
year, chiefly in North Carolina and in the Army
of the Potomac. On the discharge of his regi-
ment he engaged in the study of law at Roches-
ter, N. Y., entering the law department of the
University of Michigan in 1866, but abandoning
his intenton of entering the legal profession,
removed to Chicago in 1867, where he engaged in
journalistic and literary pursuits. Between 1869
and '74 he was editor of "The Lakeside Monthly, "
when he became literary editor of "The Alliance, "
but, in 1880, he established and assumed the
editorship of "The Dial," a purely literary pub-
lication which has gained a high reputation, and
of which he has remained in control continuously
ever since, meanwhile serving as the literary
adviser, for many years, of the well-known pub-
lishing house of McClurg & Co. Besides his
journalistic work, Mr. Browne has contributed
to the magazines and literary anthologies a num-
ber of short lyrics, and is the author of "The
Everyday Life of Abraham Lincoln" (1886), and
a volume of poems entitled, "Volunteer Grain"
(1893). He also compiled and edited "Golden
Poems by British and American Authors" (1881);
"The Golden Treasury of Poetry and Prose"
(1886), and the "Laurel Crowned"series of stand-
ard poetry (1891-92). Mr. Browne was Chairman
of the Committee of the Congress of Authors in



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 12 of 207)