Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 121 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 121 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


service — a fact evidenced during the operations
in the West Indies. Gen. John McNulta, as head
of the local committee, was active in calling the
attention of the Navy Department to the value of
the service to be rendered by this organization,
which resulted in its being enlisted practically as
a body, taking the name of "Naval Reserves" —
all but eighty-eight of the number passing the
physical examination, the places of these lieing
promptly filled by new recruits. The first de-



576



HISTOEICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



tachment of over 200 left Chicago May 2, under
tlie command of Lieut. -Com. John M. Hawley,
followed soon after by the remainder of the First
Battalion, making the whole number from Chi^
cage 400, with 267, constituting the Second Bat-
talion, from other towns of the State. The latter
was made up of 147 men from Moline, 58 from
Quincy, and 62 from Alton — making a total from
the State of 667. This does not include others,
not belonging to this organization, who enlisted
for service in the navy during the war, which
raised the whole number for the State over 1,000.
The Reserves enlisted from Illinois occupied a
different relation to the Government from that
of the "naval militia" of other States, which
retained their State organizations, wliile those
from Illinois were regularly mustered into the
United States service. The recruits from Illinois
were embarked at Key West, Norfolk and New
York, and distributed among fifty-two different
vessels, including nearly every vessel belonging
to the North Atlantic Squadron. They saw serv-
ice in nearly every department from the position
of stokers in the hold to that of gunners in the
turrets of the big battleships, the largest number
(60) being assigned to the famous battleship Ore-
gon, while the cruiser Yale followed with 47 ; the
Harvard with ZH; Cincinnati, 27; Yankton, 19;
Franklin, 18; Montgomery and Indiana, each, 17;
Hector, 14; Marietta, 11; Wilmington and Lan-
caster, 10 each, and others down to one each.
Illinois sailors thus had the privilege of partici-
pating in the brilliant affair of July 3, which
resulted in the destruction of Cervera's fleet off
Santiago, as also in nearly every other event in
the West Indies of less importance, without the
loss of a man while in the service, although
among the most exposed. They were mustered
out at different times, as they could be spared
from the service, or the vessels to which they
were attached went out of commission, a portion
serving out their full term of one year. The
Reserves from Chicago retain their organization
imder the name of "Naval Reserve Veterans,"
with headquarters in the Masonic Temple Build-
ing, Chicago.

WARD, James H., ex-Congressman, was born
in Chicago, Nov. 30, 1853, and educated in the
Chicago public schools and at the University of
Notre Dame, graduating from the latter in 1873.
Three years later he graduated from the Union
College of Law. Chicago, and was admitted to
the bar. Since then he has continued to practice
his profession in his native city. In 1879 he was
elected Supervisor of the town of West Chicago,



and, in 1884, was a candidate for Presidential
Elector on the Democratic ticket, and the same
year, was the successful candidate of his party
for Congress in the Third Illinois District, serv-
ing one term.

WIJfJJEBAGO INDIANS, a tribe of the Da-
cota, or Sioux, stock, which at one time occupied
a part of Northern IlUnois. The word Winne-
bago is a corruption of the French Ouinebe-
goutz, Ouimbegouc, etc., the diphthong "ou"
taking the place of the consonant "w," which is
wanting in the French alphabet. These were,
in turn, French misspellings of an Algonquin
term meaning "fetid," which the latter tribe
applied to the Winnebagoes because they had
come from the western ocean — the salt (or
"fetid") water. In their advance towards the
East the Winnebagoes early invaded the country
of the Illinois, but were finally driven north-
ward by the latter, who surpassed them in num-
bers rather than in bravery. The invaders
settled in Wisconsin, near the Fox River, and
here they were first visited by the Jesuit Fathers
in the seventeenth century. (See Jesuit Rela-
tions.) The Winnebagoes are commonly re-
garded as a Wisconsin tribe; yet, that they
claimed territorial rights in Illinois is shown by
the fact that -the treaty of Prairia du Chien
(August 1, 1829), alludes to a Winnebago village
located in what is now Jo Daviess County, near
the mouth of the Pecatonica River. While, as a
rule, the tribe, if left to itself, was disposed to
live in amity with the %vhites, it was carried
away by the eloquence and diplomacy of
Tecumseh and the cajoleries of "The Prophet."'
General Harrison especially alludes to the brav-
ery of the Winnebago warriors at Tippecanoe'
which he attributees in part, however, to a super-
stitious faith in "The Prophet." In June or
July, 1827, an unprovoked and brutal outrage by
the whites upon an unoffending and practically
defenseless party of Winnebagoes, near Prairie
du Chien brought on what is known as the
'Winnebago War." (See Winnebago War.)
The tribe took no part in the Black Hawk War.
largeh' because of the great influence and shrewd
tactic of their chief, Naw-caw. By treaties
executed in 1833 and 1837 the Winnebagoes ceded
to the United States all their lands lying east of
the Mississippi. They were finally removed west
of that river, and, after many shiftings of loca-
tion, were placed upon the Omaha Reservation in
Eastern Nebraska, where their industry, thrift
and peaceable disposition elicited high praise
from Government officials.



HISTOKICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



5rr



I



WARNER, Tespasian, lawjer and Member of
Congress, was born in De Witt County. 111.. April
23, 1842, and has lived all his life in his native
county — his present residence being Clinton.
After a short course in Lombard University,
while studying law in the office of Hon. Law-
rence Weldon, at Clinton, he enlisted as a private
.soldier of the Twentieth Illinois Volunteers, in
June, 1861, serving until July, 1860, when he was
mustered out with the rank of Captain and
brevet Major. He received a gunshot wound at
Shiloh, but continued to serve in the Army of
the Tennessee until the evacuation of Atlanta,
when he was ordered North on account of dis-
ability. His last service was in fighting Indians
on the plains. After the war lie completed his
law studies at Harvard University, graduating in
1868, when he entered into a law partnership
with Clifton H. Moore of Clinton. He served as
Judge-Advocate General of the Illinois National
(ruard for several years, with the rank of Colonel,
under the administrations of Governors Hamil-
ton, Oglesby and Fifer, and, in 18y4, was nomi-
nated and elected, as a Republican, to the
Fifty-fourth Congress for the Thirteenth District,
Ijeing re-elected in 1896, and again in 1898. In
the Fifty-fifth Congress, Mr. Warner was a mem-
ber of the Committees on Agriculture and Invalid
Pensions, and Chairman of the Committee on
Revision of the Laws.

WARREX, a village in Jo Daviess County,
situated at the intersection of the Illinois Central
and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Rail-
ways, 26 miles west-northwest of Freeport and
27 miles east by north of Galena. The surround-
ing region is chiefly agi-icultural and stock-rais-
ing, although there are also lead mines in the
vicinity. Tobacco is grown to some extent.
Warren has a flouring mill, a large creamery and
stone quarries, besides a private bank, two
weekly newspapers, four churches, a high school,
an academy and a public library. Population
(1890), 1,172; (1896), estimated, 1,8.50.

WARREN, Calvin A., lawyer, was born in
Essex County, N. Y., June 3, 1807; in hi.s youth,
worked for a time, as a typographer, in the oflice
of '-The Northern Spectator." it Poultney, Vt.,
side by side with Horace Greeley, afterwards the
founder of "The New York Tribune." Later, he
became one of the publishers of "The Palladium"
at Ballston, N. Y., but, in 1832, removed to
Hamilton County, Ohio, where he began the
study of law, completing his course at Transyl-
vania University, Ky., in 1834, and beginning
practice af, Batavia, Ohio, as the partner of



Thomas Morris, then a United States Senator
from Ohio, whose daughter he married, thereby
becoming the brother-in-law of the late I.saac N.
Morris, of Quincy, 111. In 1836, Mr. Warren
came to Quincy, Adams County, III., but soon
after removed to Warsaw in Hancock County,
where he resided until 1839, when he returned to
Quincy. Here he continued in practice, either
alone or as a partner, at different times, of sev-
eral of the leading attorneys of that city.
Although he held no office except that of Master
in Chancery, which he occupied for some sixteen
years, the possession of an inexhaustible fund of
humor, with strong practical sense and decided
ability as a speaker, gave him great popularity
at the bar and upon the .stump, and made him a
recognized leader in the ranks of the Democratic
party, of which he was a life-long member. He
served as Presidential Elector on the Pierce
ticket in 18.52, and was the nominee of his party
for the same position on one or two other occa-
sions. Died, at Quincy, Feb. 22, 1881.

WARREN, Hooper, pioneer journalist, was
born at Walpole, N. H., in 1790; learned the print-
er's trade on the Rutland (Vt.) "Herald"; in
1814 went to Delaware, whence, three years later,
he emigrated to Kentucky, working for a time
on a paper at Frankfort. In 1.S18 lie came to St.
Louis and worked in the office of the old "Mis-
souri Gazette" (the predecessor of "The Repub-
lican"), and also acted as the agent of a lumber
company at Cairo, 111. . when the whole popula-
tion of that place consisted of one family domi-
ciled on a grounded flat-l)oat. In Marcli. 1819,
he established, at Edwardsville, the third paper
in Illinois, its predeces.sors being "The Illinois
Intelligencer," at Kaskaskia, and "The Illinois
Emigrant," at Shawneetown. The name given
to the new paper was "The Spectator," and th»
contest over the effort to introduce a pro-slavery
clause in the State Constitution soon brought it
into prominence. Backed by Governor Coles,
Congressman Daniel P. Cook, Judge S. D. Lock-
wood, Rev. Thomas Lippincott, Judge Wm. H.
Brown (afterwards of Chicago). George Churchill
and other opponents of slavery. "The Spectator"
made a sturdy fight in opposition to the scheme,
which ended in defeat of the measure by the
rejection at the polls, in 1824, of the proposition
for a Con.stitutional Convention. Warren left
the Edwardsville paper in 182.'). and was, for a
time, associated witli "The National Crisis," an
anti-slavery paper at Cincinnati, but soon re-
turned to Illinois and established "The Sangamon
Spectator"— the first pajjcr ever published at the



578



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



present State capital. This he sold out in 1829,
and, for the next three years, was connected
with "The Advertiser and Upper Mississippi Her-
ald," at Galena. Abandoning this field in 1832,
he removed to Hennepin, where, within the next
five years, he held the offices of Clerk of the Cir-
cuit and County Commissioners" Courts and ex-
oflicio Recorder of Deeds. In 1836 he began the
publication of the third paper in Chicago — "The
Commercial Advertiser" (a weekly) — wliich was
continued a little more than a year, when it was
abandoned, and he settled on a farm at Henry,
Marshall County. His further newspaper ven-
tures were, as the associate of Zebina Eastman, in
the publication of "The Genius of Liberty," at
Lowell, La Salle County, and "The Western
Citizen"— afterwards "The Free West"— in Chi-
cago. (See Eastman, Zebina, and Lundy, Ben-
jamin.) On the discontinuance of "The Free
West" in 1856, he again retired to his farm at
Henry, where he spent the remainder of his days.
While returning home from a visit to Chicago,
in August, 1864, he was taken ill at Mendota,
dying there on the 22d of the mouth.

WARREN, John Esaias, diplomatist and real-
estate operator, was born in Troy, N. Y., in 1826,
graduated at Union College and was connected
with the American Legation to Spain during the
administration of President Pierce; in 18i59-60
was a member of the Minnesota Legislatui'e and,
in 1861-62, Mayor of St. Paul; in 1867, came to
Chicago, where, while engaged in real-estate
business, he became known to the press as the
author of a series of articles entitled "Topics of
the Time." In 1886 he took up his residence in
Brussels, Belgium, where he died, July 6, 1896.
Mr. Warren was author of several volumes of
travel, of which "An Attache in Spain" and
"Para" are most important.

WARREN COUNTY. A western county,
created by act of the Legislature, in 1825, but
not fully organized until 1830, having at that time
about 350 inhabitants ; has an area of 540 square
miles, and was named for Gen. Joseph Warren.
It is drained by the Henderson River (a
tributary of the Mississippi) and its affluents,
and is traversed by the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy, and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific
Railroads. Bituminous coal is mined and lime-
stone is quarried in large quantities. The county's
early development was retarded in consequence
of having become the "seat of war," during the
Black Hawk War. The principal products are
grain and live-stock, although manufacturing is
carried on to some extent. The county-seat and



chief city is Monmouth (which see). Rossvill©
is a shipping point. Population (1880), 22,983.
(1890), 21,281.

WAKRENSBURG, a town of Macon County,
on the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway, 8
miles northwest of Decatur. It has a bank and
a local newspaper. Population (1890), 526.

WARSAW, the largest town in Hancock
County, and admirably situated for trade. It
stands on a bluff on the Mississippi River, some
three miles below Keokuk, and about 40 miles
above Quincy. It is the western terminus of the
Toledo, Peoria & Western Railway, and lies 116
miles west-southwest of Peoria. Old Fort
Edwards, established by Gen. Zachary Taylor,
during the War of 1812, was located within the
limits of the present city of Warsaw, opposite the
mouth of the Des Moines River. An iron
foundry, a large woolen mill, a plow factory
and cooperage works are its principal manufac-
turing establishments. The channel of the Missis-
sippi admits of the passage of the largest steamers
up to this point. Warsaw has eight churches, a
system of common schools comprising one high
and three grammar schools, a National bank and
two weekly newspapers. Population (1880), 3,10.5;
(1890), 2,721.

WASHBURN, a village of Woodford County, on
a branch of the Chicago & Alton Railway 25
miles northeast of Peoria; has banks and a
weekly paper ; the district is agricultm-al. Popu-
lation (1890), 598.

WASHBURNE, Elihu Benjamin, Congressman
and diplomatist, was born at Livermore, Maine,
Sept. 23, 1816; i^i early life learned the trade of a
printer, but graduated from Harvard Law School
and was admitted to the bar in 1840. Coming
west, he settled at Galena, forming a partnership
with Charles S. Hempstead, for the practice of
law, in 1841. He was a stalwart Whig, and, as
such, was elected to Congress in 1852. He con-
tinued to represent his District until 1869, taking
a prominent position, as a Republican, on the
organization of that party. On account of his
long service he was known as the "Father of the
House," administering the Speaker's oath three
times to Schuyler Colfax and once to James G.
Blaine. He was appointed Secretary of State by
General Grant in 1869, but surrendered his port-
folio to become Envoy to France, in wliich ca-
pacity he achieved great distinction. He was the
only ofl[icial representative of a foreign govern-
ment who remained in Paris, during the siege of
that city by the Germans (1870-71) and the reign
of the "Commune." For his conduct he was



IIIS'I'OUUAL K\C'V( LOl'KDIA OF ILLINOIS.



579



honored by the Governments of France and (ier-
many alike. On his return to the United States.
he made liis home in Cliicago, where lie devoted
liis latter years chiefly to literary lal>or, and
where he died. Oct. 22, 18S7. He "was strongly
favored as a candidate for the Presidency in 1!S8U.
WASHIXCiTOX, a city in Tazewell County,
situated at the intersection of the (.Miicago



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 121 of 207)