Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 127 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 127 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


but each of the others in charge of an Assistant
Secretary, who is responsible for its development
The entire work is under the supervision of a
State Executive Committee of twenty-seven
members, one-third of whom are elected annually.
WilUs H. Herrick of Chicago has been its chair-
man for several years. This body is appointed
by a State convention composed of delegates
from the local Associations. Of these there were,
in October, 1898, 116, with a membership of
15,888. The value of the property owned was
$2,500,000. Twenty-two occupy their own build-
ings, of which five are for railroad men and one
for students. Weekly gatherings for young men
numbered 248, and there are now representatives
or correspondents in 665 communities where no
organization has been effected. Scientific phys-
ical culture is made a feature by 40 associations,
and educational work has been largely developed.
The enrollment in evening classes, during 1898-99,
was 978. The building of the Chicago branch
(erected in 1893) is the finest of its class in the
world. Recently a successful association has
been formed among coal miners, and another
among the first grade boys of the Illinois State
Reformatory, while an extensive work has been
conducted at the camps of the Illinois National
Guard.

ZANE, Charles S., lawyer and jurist, was born
in Cumberland County, N. J., March 2, 1831, of
English and New England stock. At the age of
19 he emigrated to Sangamon County, lU., for a
time working on a farm and at brick-making.
From 1852 to '55 he attended McKendree College,
but did not graduate, and, on leaving college,
engaged in teaching, at the same time reading
law. In 1857 he was admitted to the bar and
commenced practice at Springfield. The follow-
ing year he was elected City Attorney. He had
for partners, at different times, William H.
Herndon (once a partner of Abraham Lincoln)
and Senator Shelby M. CuUom. In 1873 he was
elected a Judge of the Circuit Court for the Fifth
Judicial Circuit, and was re-elected in 1879, In
1883 President Arthur appointed him Chief Jus-
tice of Utah, where he has since resided, though
superseded by the appointment of a successor by
President Cleveland. At the first State elec-
tion in Utah, held in November, 1895, he was
chosen one of the Judges of the Supreme Court
of the new Commonwealth, but was defeateil
for re-election, by his Democratic opponent, in



SUPPLEMENT.



The foUowins matter, received too lato for insertion iu the body of this worlt.



in the form of a supplement.



COGHLAN, (Capt.) Joseph Bullock, naval
officer, was born in Kentucky, ami, at the age of
15 years, came to Illinois, living on a farm for a
time near Carlyle, iu Clinton County. In 1«G0 he
was appointed by his uncle, Hon. Philip B.
Fouke — then a Repre.seutative iu Congress from
the Belleville District — to the Naval Academy at
Annapolis, graduating in 1863, and being pro-
moted through the successive grades of Ensign,
Master, Lieutenant, Lieutenant-Commander, and
Commander, and serving upon various vessels
Until Nov. 18, 1893, when he was commissioned
Captain and, in 1897, assigned to the command
of the battleship Raleigli, on the Asiatic Station.
He was thus connected with Admiral Dewey's
Sfjuadron at the beginning of the Spanish- Ameri-
can War, and took a conspicuous and brilliant part
in the atfair in Manila Bay, on May 1, 1898, which
resulted in the destruction of the Spanish fleet.
Captain Coghlan's connection with subsequent
events in the Philippines was in the highest
degree creditable to himself and the country.
His vessel (the Raleigh) was the first of Admiral
Dewey's squadron to return home, coming by
way of the Suez Canal, in the summer of 1899, he
and his crew receiving an immense ovation on
their arrival in New York liarbor.

CRANE, (Bev.) James Lyons, clergyman,
army chaplain, was born at Mt. Eaton, Wayne
County, Ohio, August 30, 1823, united with the
Methodist Episcopal Church at Cincinnati in

1841, and, coming to Edgar County, Illinois, in

1842, attended a seminary at Paris .some three
years. He joined the Illinois Conference in 1846,
and was assigned to the Danville circuit, after-
wards presiding over charges at Grandview, Hills-
horo, Alton, Jacksonville, and Springfield — at the
last two points being stationed two or more
times, besides serving as Presiding Elder of the
Paris, Danville, and Springfield Districts. The
importance of the stations which he filled during
his itinerant career served as evidence of his
recognized ability and popularity as a preacher.



In July, 1861, he was appointed Chaplain of the
Twenty-first Regiment Illinois Volunteers, at
that time commanded by Ulysses S. Grant as
Colonel, and, although he remained with the
regiment only a few months, the friendship then
established between him and the future com-
mander of the armies of the Union lasted through
their lives. This was shown by liis appointment
by President Grant, in 1869, to the position of
Postmaster of the city of Springfield, which came
to him as a personal comjiliment, being re-
appointed four years afterwards and continuing
in office eight years. After retiring from the
Springfield postoffice, he occupied charges at
Island Grove and Shelbyville. his death occurring
at the latter place, July 29, 1879, as the result of
an attack of paralysis some two weeks previous.
Mr. Crane was married in 1847 to Miss Elizabeth
Mayo, daughter of Col. J. Mayo — a prominent
citizen of Edgar County, at an early day — his
wife surviving him some twenty years. Rev.
Charles A. Crane and Rev. Frank Crane, pastors
of prominent Methodist churches in Boston and
Chicago, are sons of the subject of this sketch.

DAWES, Charles Gates, Comptroller of the
Treasury, was born at Marietta, Ohio, August 27,
186.5; graduated from Marietta College in 1884,
and from the Cincinnati Law School in 188G;
worked at civil engineering during his vacations,
finally becoming Chief Engineer of the Toledo &
Ohio Railroad. Between 1887 and 1894 he was
engaged in the practice of law at Lincoln, Neb.,
but afterwards became interested in the gas busi-
ness in various cities, including Evanston, 111.,
which became his home. In 1896 he took a lead-
ing part in securing instructions by the Republi-
can State Convention at Springfield in favor of
the nomination of Mr. McKinley for the Presi-
dency, and during the succeeding campaign
served as a member of the National Republican
Committee for the State of Illinois. Soon after
the accession of President McKinley, he was
appointed Comptroller of the Treasury, a position



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLmOIS.



which he now holds. Mr. Dawes is the son of
R. B. Dawes, a former Congressman from Ohio,
and the great-grandson of Manasseh Cutler, who
was an influential factor in the early history of
the Northwest Territory, and has been credited
with exerting a strong influence in shaping and
securing the adoption of the Ordinance of 1787.

DISTIN, (Col.) William L., former Depart-
ment Commander of Grand Army of the Repub-
lic for the State of Illinois, was born at
Cincinnati, Ohio, Feb. 9, 1843, his father being of
English descent, while his maternal grandfather
was a Colonel of the Polish Lancers in the army
of the first Napoleon, who, after the exile of his
leader, came to America, settling in Indiana.
The father of the subject of this sketch settled at
Keokuk, Iowa, where the son grew to manhood
and in February, 1863, enlisted as a private in the
Seventeenth Iowa Infantry, having been twice
rejected previously on account of physical ail-
ment. Soon after enlistment he was detailed for
provost-marshal duty, but later took part with
his regiment in the campaign in Alabama. He
served for a time in the Fifteenth Army Corps,
under Gen. John A. Logan, was subsequently
detailed for duty on the Staff of General Raum,
and participated in the battles of Resaca and
Tilton, Ga. Having been captured in the latter,
he was imprisoned successively at Jacksonville
(Ga.), Montgomery, Savannah, and finally at
Andersonville. From the latter he succeeded in
effecting his escape, but was recaptured and
returned to that famous prison-pen. Having
escaped a second time by assuming the name of
a dead man and bribing tlie guard, he was again
captured and imprisoned at various points in Mis-
sissippi until exchanged about the time of the
assassination of President Lincoln. He was then
80 weakened by his long confinement and scanty
fare that he had to be carried on board the
steamer on a stretcher. At this time he narrowly
escaped being on board the steamer Sultana,
which was blown up below Cairo, with 2,100
soldiers on board, a large proportion of whom lost
their lives. After being mustered out at Daven-
port, Iowa, June 38, 1865, he was employed for a
time on the Des Moines Valley Railroad, and as a
messenger and route agent of the United States
Express Company. In 1872 he established him-
self in business in Quincy, 111., in which he
proved very successful. Here he became prom-
inent in local Grand Army circles, and, in 1890,
was unanimously elected Commander of the
Department of lUinois. Previous to this he had
been an oflScer of the Illinois National Guard, and



served as Aid-de-Camp, with the rank of
Colonel, on the staff of Governors Hamilton,
Oglesby and Fifer. In 1897 Colonel Distin was
appointed by President McKinley Surveyor-Gen-
eral for the Territory of Alaska, a position which
(1899) he still holds.

DUMMER, Henry E., lawyer, was born at
Hallowell, Maine, April 9, 1808, was educated in
Bowdoin College, graduating there in the class of
1837, after which he took a course in law at Cam-
bridge Law School, and was soon after admitted
to the bar. Then, having spent some two years
in his native State, in 1833 he removed to Illinois,
settling first in Springfield, where he remained six
years, being for a part of the time a partner of
John T. Stuart, who afterwards became the first
partner in law of Abraliam Lincoln. Mr. Dum-
mer had a brother, Richard William Dummer,
who had preceded him to Illinois, living for a
time in Jacksonville. In 1838 he removed to
Beard,stown, Cass County, which continued to be
his home for more than a quarter of a century.
During his residence there he served as Alder-
man, City Attorney and Judge of Probate for
Cass County ; also represented Cass County in the
Constitutional Convention of 1847, and, in 1860,
was elected State Senator in the Twenty-second
General Assembly, serving four years. Mr.
Dummer was an earnest Republican, and served
that party as a delegate for the State-at-large to
the Convention of 1864, at Baltimore, which
nominated Abraham Lincoln for the Presidency a
second time. In 1864 he removed to Jackson-
ville, and for the next year was the law partner
of David A. Smith, until the death of the latter
in 1865. In the summer of 1878 Mr. Dummer
went to Mackinac, Mich., in search of health, but
died there August 13 of that year.

ECKELS, James H., ex-Comptroller of the
Currency, was bom of Scotch-Irisli parentage at
Princeton, 111., Nov. 33, 1858, was educated in
the common schools and the high school of his
native town, graduated from the Law School at
Albany, N. Y., in 1881, and the following year
began practice at Ottawa, 111. Here he con-
tinued in active practice mitil 1893, when he was
appointed by President Cleveland Comptroller of
the Currency, serving until May 1, 1898, when he
resigned to accept the presidency of the Com-
mercial National Bank of Chicago. Mr. Eckels
manifested such distinguished ability in the dis-
charge of his duties as Comptroller that he
received the notable compliment of being
retained in office by a Republican administration
more than a year after the retirement of Presi-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



dent Cleveland, while his selection for a place at
the head of one of the leading banking institu-
tions of Chicago was a no less marked recognition
of his abilities as a financier. He was a Delegate
from the Eleventh District to the National
Democratic Convention at Chicago in 1892, and
represented the same district in the Gold Demo-
cratic Convention at Indianapolis in 1896, and
assisted in framing the platform there adopted —
which indicated his views on the financial ques-
tions involved in the campaign of that year.

FIELD, Daniel, early merchant, was born in
Jefferson County, Kentucky, Nov. 30, 1790, and
settled at Golconda, 111., in 1818, dying there in
1855. He was a man of great enterprise, engaged
in merchandising, and became a large land-
holder, farmer and stock-grower, and an extensive
shipper of stock and produce to lower Mississippi
markets. He married Elizabeth Dailey of
Charleston, Ind., and raised a large family of
children, one of whom, Philip D., became Shertffi
while another, John, was County Judge of Pope
County. His daughter, Maria, married Gen.
Green B. Raum, who became prominent as a
soldier during tlie Civil War and, later, as a mem-
ber of Congre.ss and Commissioner of Internal
Revenue and Pension Commissioner in Wash-
ington.

FIELD, (ilreeu B., member of a pioneer family,
was born within the present limits of the State of
Indiana in 1787, served as a Lieutenant in the
War of 1813, was married in Bourbon County,
Kentucky, to Mi.ss Mary E. Cogswell, the
daughter of Dr. Joseph Cogswell, a soldier of the
Revolutionary War, and, in 1817, removed to
Pope County, Illinois, wliere he laid off the town
of Golconda, which became the county-seat. He
served as a Representative from Pope County in
the First General As.sembly (1818-20), and was
the father of Juliet C. Field, who became the
wife of John Riium : of Edna Field, the wife of
Dr. Tarlton Dunn, and of Green B. Field, who
was a Lieutenant in Third Regiment Illinois
Volunteers during the Mexican War. Mr. Field
was the grandfatlier of Gen. Green B. Raimi,
mentioned in the preceding paragraph. He died
of yellow fever in Louisiana in 1823.

GALE, Stephen Francis, first Chicago book-
seller and a railway promoter, was born at
Exeter, N. H., March 8. 1812; at 15 years of age
became clerk in a leading book-store in Boston ;
came to Chicago in 183-'), and soon afterwards
opened the first book and stationery establish-
ment in that city, which, in after years, gained
an extensive trade. In 1842 the firm of S. F.



Gale & Co. was organized, but Mr. (ialo, having
become head of the Chicago Fire Department,
retired from business in 1845. As early as 184(>
lie was associated with W m. B. Ogden and John
B. Turner in tlie steps then being taken to revive
tlie Galena & Cliicago Union Railroad (now a
part of the Chicago & Northwestern), and, in
conjunction with these gentlemen, became
responsible for the means to purcliase the charter
and assets of the road from the Eastern bond-
liolders. Later, he engaged in the construction
of the branch road from Turner Junction to
Aurora, became President of the line and ex-
tended it to Mendota to tronnect witli the Illinois
Central at that Point. These roads afterwards
became a part of the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy line. A number of j'ears ago Mr. Gale
returned to his old home in New Hampshire,
where he has since resided.

HAT, John, early settler, came to the region of
Kaskaskia between 1790 and 1800, and became a
prominent citizen of St. Clair County. He was
selected as a member of the First Legislative
Council of Indiana Territory for St. Clair County
in 1805. In 1809 he was appointed Clerk of the
Common Pleas Court of St. Clair County, and
was continued in office after the organization of
ihe State Government, serving until his death at
Belleville in 1845.

HAYS, John, pioneer settler of Northwest Ter-
ritory, was a native of New York, who came to
Cahokia, in the "Illinois Country," in 1793, and
lived there the remainder of his life. His early
life had been spent in the fur-trade about Macki-
nac, in the Lake of the Woods region and about
the sources of the Mississippi; During the War
of 1812 he was able to furnish Governor Edwards
valuable information in reference to the Indians
in tlie Northwest. He filled the office of Post-
master at Cahokia for a number of years, and was
Sheriff of St. Clair County from 1798 to 1818.

MOULTOJf, (Col.) George M., soldier and
building contractor, was born at Readsburg, Vt.,
March 15, 1851. came early in life to Cliicago, and
was educated in the schools of that city. By pro-
fession he is a contractor and builder, the firm of
wliich he is a member having been connected
with the construction of a number of large build-
ings, including some extensive grain elevators.
Colonel Moulton he(\ame a member of the Second
Regiment Illinois National Guard in June, 1884,
being elected to the office of Major, which h«
retained until January, 1893, when he wa»
appointed Inspector of Rifle Practice on the staff
of General Wheeler. A year later he was com-



008



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



missioned Colonel of the regiment, a position
which he occupied at the time of the call by the
President for troops to serve in the Spanish-
American War in April, 1898. He promptly
answered the call, and was sworn into the United
States service at the head of his regiment early
in May. The regiment was almost immediately
ordered to Jacksonville, Fla., remaining there
and at Savannah, Ga., until early in December,
when it was transferred to Havana, Cuba. Here
he was soon after appointed Chief of Police for
the city of Havana, remaining in office until the
middle of January, 1899, when he returned to his
regiment, tlien stationed at Camp Columbia, near
the city of Havana. In the latter part of March
lie returned with his regiment to Augusta, Ga.,
where it was mustered out, April 26, 1899, one
year from the date of its arrival at Springfield.
After leaving the service Colonel Moulton
resumed his business as a contractor.

SHERMAN, Lawrence Y., legislator and
Speaker of the Forty-first General Assembly, was
liorn in Miami County, Ohio, Nov. 6, 1858 ; at 3
years of age came to Illinois, his parents settling
at Industry, McDonough County. When he had
reached the age of 10 years he went to Jasper
County, where he grew to manhood, received his
education in the common schools and in the law



department of McKendree College, graduating
from the latter, and, in 1881, located at Macomb,
McDonough County. Here he began his career
by driving a team upon the street in order to
accumulate means enabling liim to devote his
entire attention to his chosen profession of law.
He soon took an active interest in politics, was
elected County Judge in 1886, and, at the expira-
tion of his term, formed a partnership with
George D. Tunnicliff'e and D. G. Tunnicliffe,
ex-Justice of the Supreme Court. In 1894 he was
a candidate for the Republican nomination for
Representative in the General Assembly, but
withdrew to prevent a split in the party; was
nominated and elected in 1896, and re-elected in
1898, and, at the succeeding session of the
Forty-first General Assembly, was nominated
for Speaker by the Republican caucus and
elected.

VIIVTARD, Philip, early legislator, was born
in Pennsylvania in 1800, came to Illinois at an
early day, and settled in Pope County, which he
represented in the lower branch of the Thirteenth
and Fourteenth General Assemblies. He married
Miss Matilda McCoy, the daughter of a prominent
Illinois pioneer, and served as Sheriff of Pope
County for a number of years. Died, at Gol-
conda, in 1863.




KNOX COUNTY



MAP OP

ILL.



K JV H -r




ItlE. FCLTON



rPvE F A(J h



III ;ir(C'|itino- iMlit()ii;il cliaryc of the- Knox ( 'ounty (le|i:irtiiu'n I o\' tlii,< |iulili«ition, we
dill so with a full realization of its iinpoi'tanco. ami actiiateil liy a sense nl' duty to the past,

Many of the important farts uf past history existed only in the memories of oiir oldest
citizens, who are fast leaviiifr us. and if siieh knowledge was not soon rompiled and ])reserved
in peiinaiieiit form, much would soon be lost iieyond recall.

We iiave aimed to prepare a record of historical facts and evenis that are woiihynf
])ipservation, and believe we have succeeded to this extent.

Perfection is not claimed, as a jierfect work cannot emanate from the finite and imper-
fect; yet. we trust fair and just critics will approve the result of our efforts.

The biogiaphical and genealogical features of this work iiave been ably prepared and
supervised by Dr. J. \'an Xcss Standish, Prof. M. L. C'omstock, Prof. T. H. Willard, and
Dr. William E. Simonds, a number of selected portraits, representative of both past and
prei?ent generations, are also included, thus adding much of value and extending the sphere
of ])ersonal interest in the publication. Kspecial acknowledgment is due to the late Dr.
(ieorge Churchill for valuable information furnished and assistance rendered.

\'alued article.s. devoted to sjiecial topics, and histories of the townships and villages,
have been [irejiared by gentlemen who were l)elieved best fitted to write of the various suli-
jects thus treated, in each case the name of the author accompanying the artii'le con-
tributed.

The publishers have invested both time and money, unsparingly, and fully inciit the
success assured.

Helieving the present will ap|)rove and the future most fully apiireciate and value the
results achieved, we leave for coming generations this record of the County's past — this
monument to what it is.






TA r>LK OF (^()X1\EN1^



KNOX COUNTY.

Earlv Illinois Counties, filT.— County Organization, G17.— First County Seat, HIT.— Early Homes,
018.— Early Uxnd Titles. (ilS.— Early Licenses, 618.— Immigration, 619.— Estimate Placeil on Prairie
Lands. 61'j.— Timter Land.^^. 620.— Iniproved Conditions, 620.— Growtli in Pi>]inl:iti(in, 621.— Early
Development, 621. — New Cininty Puildings, 621. — Industries, 62.' — .\L;riruli in r i..-.. — Stcirk Raising
and Dairy Farming, 623.— Hay and ( irass Seed, 624.— A Canal Boat .Jminiry ii.t. - Knadsaad Bridges,
625.— Spoon River, 626.— Creeks. 626.— Lake George, 036.— Mines uiid Vn^mirs. •..■i, -Brick Manufac-
ture, 627.— The Steel Plow, 628.— Black Hawk War, 63!l.— County (ioverninent, 6-.".i.— Early Elections,
630.— Location of Countv Seat, 630.— Henry County Attached, ii30,— First Ferry, (530 —.Justice Pre-
cincts, 630.— Road Districts, 631.— County Judges, 031.— Township Organization, 631.— War of the
Rebellion, 033.— Lists of County Officers, 033-037.— Court Houses, 637.— County Seat Controversy,
637,— Rival Claims of Galeshurg and Knoxville, 639.— Legal Decision in Favor of Galesburg, 640.—
New Court House. 641.— The Jail, 642.— The Almshouse, 642.— Railroads, 643.— Atchison, Topeka &
Santa Fe, 644.— Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, 646.— Fulton County Narrow Gauge, O.'iO.- Iowa Cen-
tral, 6.51. — Rock Island and Peoria, 6.51. — County Schools. 651. — Grand Army of the Republic, 653. —
Swedish Old Settlers" Association, li57.— Farmers' Mutual Fire and Lightning Insurance Company,
657. — Covenant Mutual Life Association 657. — Scandinavian Mutual Aid Association, iir>7.



GALESBURG.

Situation and Natural Features of Location, 65".i. — Inceplinn



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 127 of 207)