Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 13 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 13 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



63



the WorWs Congress Auxiliary held in con-
nection with The Columbian Exposition in
1893.

BROWNE, Thomas C, early jurist, was born in
Kentucky, studied law there and, coming to
Shawneetown in 1812, served in the lower branch
of the Second Territorial Legislature (1814-16)
and in the Council (1816-18), being the first law-
yer to enter that body. In 181.5 he was appointed
Prosecuting Attorney and, on the admission of
Illinois as a State, was promoted to the Supreme
bench, being re-elected by joint ballot of the
Legislature in 182.5, and serving continuously
until the reorganization of the Supreme Court
under the Constitution of 1848, a period of over
thirty years. Judge Browne's judicial character
and abilities have been differently estimated.
Though lacking in industry as a student, he is
represented by the late Judge Jolm D. Caton,
who knew him personally, as a close thinker and
a good judge of men. While seldom, if ever,
accustomed to argue que.stions in the conference
room or write out his opinions, he had a capacity
for expressing himself in short, pungent sen-
tences, which indicated that he was a man of con-
siderable ability and had clear and distinct views
of his own. An attempt was made to impeach
him before the Legislature of 184.3 "for want of
capacity to discharge the duties of his office,"
but it failed by an almost unanimous vote. He
was a Whig in politics, but had some strong sup-
porters among Democrats. In 1833 Judge Browne
was one of the four candidates for Governor — in
the final returns standing third on the list and, by
dividing the vote of the advocates of a pro-slavery
clause in the State Constitution, contributing to
the election of Governor Coles and the defeat of
the pro-slavery party. (See Coles, Edioard. and
Slavery and Slave Laics.) In the latter part of
his official term Judge Browne resided at Ga-
lena, but, in 18.53, removed with his son-in-law,
ex-Congressman Joseph P. Hoge, to San Fran-
cisco, Cal., where he died a few years later —
probably about 1856 or 1858.

BROWNING, OrviUe Hickman, lawyer. United
States Senator and Attorney-General, was born
in Harrison County, Ky. , in 1810. After receiv-
ing a classical education at Augusta in his native
State, he removed to Quincy, 111., and was
admitted to the bar in 1831. In 1832 he served
in the Black Hawk War, and from 1836 to 1843,
was a member of the Legislature, serving in both
houses. A personal friend and political adherent
of Abraham Lincoln, he aided in the organization
of the Republican party at the memorable



Bloomington Convention of 1856. As a delegate
to the Chicago Convention in 1860, he aided in
securing Mr. Lincoln's nomination, and was a
conspicuous supporter of tlie Government in the
Civil War. In 1861 he was appointed by Gov-
ernor Yates United States Senator to fill Senator
Douglas' unexpired term, serving until 1803. In
1866 he became Secretary of the Interior by ap-
pointment of President Johnson, also for a time
discharging the duties of Attorney-General.
ReturniQgto Illinois, he was elected a member of
the Constitutional Convention of 1869-70, which
was his last participation in public affairs, his
time thereafter being devoted to his profession.
He died at his home in Quincy, 111., August 10,
1881.

BRYAX, Silas Llllard, legislator and jurist,
born in Culpepper County, Va., Nov 4, 1833; was
left an orphan at an early age, and came west in
1840, living for a time with a brother near Troy,
Mo. The following year he came to Marion
County, 111., where he attended school and
worked on a farm; in 1845 entered McKendree
College, graduating in 1849, and two years later
was admitted to the bar, supporting himself
meanwhile by teaching. He settled at Salem,
III., and, in 1852, was elected as a Democrat to
the State Senate, in which body he served for
eight years, being re-elected in 1856. In 1861 he
was elected to the bench of the Second Judicial
Circuit, and again chosen in 186T, his second
term expiring in 1873. While serving as Judge,
he was also elected a Delegate to the Constitu-
tional Convention of 1869-70. He was an unsuc-
cessful candidate for Congress on the Greeley
ticket in 1873. Died at Salem, March 30, 1880.—
William Jennings (Bryan), .son of the preceding,
was born at Salem, 111. , March 19, 1860. The early
life of young Bryan was spent on his father's
farm, but at the age of ten years he began to
attend the public school in town ; later spent two
years in Whipple Academy, ^the preparatory
department of Illinois College at Jacksonville,
and, in 1881, graduated from the college proper as
the valedictorian of his class. Then he devoted
two years to the study of law in the Union Law
School at Chicago, meanwhile acting as clerk and
studying in the law office of ex-Senator Lyman
Trumbull. Having graduated in law in 1883. lie
soon entered upon the practice of his profession
at Jacksonville as the partner of Judge E. P
Kirby, a well-known lawyer and prominent
Republican of that city. Four years later (1887)
found him a citizen of Lincoln, Neb., which has
since been his home. He took a proniinent part



64



HISTOEICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



in the politics of Nebraska, stumping the State
for the Democratic nominees in 1888 and '89, and
in 1890 received the Democratic nomination for
Congress in a district which had been regarded
as strongly Republican, and was elected by a
large majority. Again, in 189.2, he was elected
by a reduced majority, but two years later
declined a renomination, though proclaiming
himself a free-silver candidate for the United
States Senate, meanwhile officiating as editor of
"The Omaha World -Herald." In July, 1896, lie
received the nomination for President from the
Democratic National Convention at Chicago, on
a platform declaring for the "free and unlimited
coinage of silver" at the ratio of sixteen of silver
(in weight) to one of gold, and a few weeks later
was nominated by the "Populists" at St. Louis
for the same office — being the youngest man ever
put in nomination for the Presidency in the his-
tory of the Government. He conducted an
active personal campaign, speaking in nearly
every Northern and Middle Western State, but
was defeated by his Republican opponent, Maj.
William McKinley. Mr. Bryan is an easy and
fluent speaker, possessing a voice of unusual
compass and power, and is recognized, even by
his poUtioal opponents, as a man of pure personal
character.

BRYAN, Thomas Barbour, lawyer and real
estate operator, was born at Alexandria, Va.,
Dec. 22, 1828, being descended on the maternal
side from the noted Barbour family of that
State; graduated in law at Harvard, and, at the
age of twenty-one, settled in Cincinnati. In
1852 he came to Chicago, where he acquired ex-
tensive real estate interests and built Bryan
Hall, which became a popular place for en-
tertainments. Being a gifted speaker, as well
as a zealous Unionist, Mr. Bryan was chosen
to deliver the address of welcome to Senator
Douglas, when that statesman returned to
Chicago a few weeks before his death in 1861.
During the progress of the war he devoted his
time and his means most generously to fitting out
soldiers for the field and caring for the sick and
wovmded. His services as President of the great
Sanitary Fair in Chicago (1865), where some
§300,000 were cleared for disabled soldiers, were
especially conspicuous. At this time he became
the purchaser (at §3,000) of the original copy of
President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation,
which had been donated to the cause. He also
rendered valuable service after the fire of 1871,
though a heavy sufferer from that event, and was
a leading factor in securing the location of the



World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1890,
later becoming Vice-President of the Board of
Directors and making a visit to Europe in the
interest of the Fair. After the war Mr. Bryan
resided in Washington for some time, and, by
appointment of President Hayes, served as Com-
missioner of the District of Columbia. Possessing
refined literary and artistic tastes, he has done
much for the encouragement of literature and
art in Chicago. His home is in the suburban
village of Elmhurst.— Charles Page (Bryan), son
of the preceding, lawyer and foreign minister,
was born in Chicago, Oct. 3, 1855, and educated
at the University of Virginia and Columbia Law
School; was admitted to practice in 1878, and
the following year removed to Colorado, where
he remained four years, while there serving in
both Houses of the State Legislature. In 1883 he
returned to Chicago and became a member of the
First Regiment of the Illinois National Guard,
serving upon the staff of both Governor Oglesby
and Governor Fifer ; in 1890, was elected to the
State Legislature from Cook County, being re-
elected in 1892, and in 1894; was also the first
Commissioner to visit Europe in the interest of
the World's Columbian Exposition, on his return
serving as Secretary of the Exposition Commis-
sioners in 1891-92. In the latter part of 1897 he
was appointed by President McKinley Minister
to China, but before being confirmed, early in
1898, was assigned to the United States mission to
the Republic of Brazil, where he now is, Hon.
E. H. Conger of Iowa, who liad previously been
appointed to the Brazilian mission, being trans-
ferred to Pekin.

BRYANT, John Howard, pioneer, brother of
William CuUen Bryant, the poet, was born in
Cummington, Mass., July 22, 1807, educated at
the Rensselaer Polyteclmic Institute in Troy,
N. Y, ; removed to Illinois in 1831, and held vari-
ous offices in Bureau County, including that of
Representative in the General Assembly, to which
he was elected in 1842, and again in 1858. A
practical and enterprising farmer, he was identi-
fied with the Illinois State Agricultural Society
in its early history, as also with the movement
which resulted in the establishment of industrial
colleges in the various States, He was one of the
founders of the Republican party and a warm
personal friend of President Lincoln, being a
member of the first Republican State Convention
at Bloomington in 1856, and serving as Collector
of Internal Revenue bj' appointment of Mr. Lin-
coln in 1862 64. In 1872 Mr. Bryant jomed in the
Liberal Republican movement at Cincinnati, two



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



65



years later was identified with the "Independent
Reform" party, but has since cooperated with
the Democratic party. He has produced two
volumes of poems, published, respectively, in 18.5.5
and 1885, besides a number of public addres.ses.
His home is at Princeton, Bureau County.

BUCK, Hiram, clergyman, was born in Steu-
ben County, X. Y., in 1818; joined tlie Illinois
Methodist Episcopal Conference in 1843, and con-
tinued in its service for nearly fifty years, being
much of the time a Presiding Elder. At his
death he bequeathed a considerable sum to the
endowment funds of the Wesleyan University at
Bloomington and the Illinois Conference College
at Jacksonville. Died at Decatur, 111., August
22, 1892.

BUDA, a town in Bureau County, at the junc-
tion of two branches of the Chicago, Burlington
& Quinc}- Railroad, twelve miles southwest of
Princeton (the country-seat), and 118 miles west-
southwest of Chicago. It has several churches,
a bank and a newspaper office Dairying is ex-
tensively carried on in tlie surrounding region,
and Buda has a good sized creamery. Beds of
clay abound, and brick and tile are manufactured
here. There are also iron works and a manu-
factory of railroad supplies. Population (1880),
778, (1890), 990.

BUFORD, Napoleon Bonaparte, banker and
soldier, was born in Woodford County, Ky., Jan.
13, 1807; graduated at West Point Military Acad-
emy, 1827. and served for some time as Lieutenant
of Artillery; entered Harvard Law School in
1831, served as ^Vssistant Professor of Natural and
Experimental Philosophy there (1834-35), then
resigned his commission, and, after some service
as an engineer upon public works in Kentucky,
established himself as an iron-foimder and banker
at Rock Island, 111 , in 1857 becoming President
of the Rock Island & Peoria Railroad. In 1861
he entered the volunteer service, as Colonel of
the Twenty-seventh Illinois, serving at variou.s
points in Western Kentucky and Tennessee, as
also in the siege of Vicksburg, and at Helena,
Ark., where he was in command from Septem-
ber, 18G3, to March, 1865. In the meantime, by
promotion, he attained to the rank of Major-
General by brevet, being mustered out in August,
1865. He subsequently held the post of Special
United States Commissioner of Indian Affairs
(1868), and that of Inspector of the Union Pacific
Railroad (1867-69). Died, March 28, 1883.

BULKLET, (Kev.) Justus, educator, was born
at Leicester, Livingston Count}-, N. Y., July 23,
1819, taken to Allegany County, N. Y., at 3



years of age, where he remained until 17, attend-
ing school in a log school-house in the winter and
working on a farm in the summer. His family
then removed to Illinois, finally locating at
Barry, Pike County. In 1842 he entered the
preparatory department of Shurtleff College at
Upper Alton, graduating there in 1847. He was
immediately made Principal of the preparatory
department, remaining two years, when he was
ordained to the Baptist ministry and became
pastor of a church at Jerseyville. Four years
later he was appointed Professor of Mathematics
in Shurtleff College, but remained only two
years, when he accepted the pastorship of a
church at Carrollton, which he continued to fill
nine years, when, in 1864, he was called to a
church at Upper Alton. At the expiration of
one year he was again called to a professorship
in Shurtleff College, this time taking the chair of
Church History and Church Polity, which he
continued to fill for a period of thirty-four years ;
also serving for a time as Acting President dur-
ing a vacancy in that office. During this period
he was frequently called upon to preside as 5Iod-
erator at General Associations of the Baptist
Church, and he became widely known, not only
in that denomination, but elsewhere. Died at
Upper Alton, Jan. 16, 1899.

BULL, Lorenzo, banker, Quincy, 111., was bom
in Hartford, Conn., March 21, 1819, being the
eldest son of Lorenzo and Elizabeth Goodwin
Bull. His ancestors on both sides were of the
party who, under Thomas Hooker, moved from
the vicinity of Boston and settled Hartford in
1634. Leaving Hartford in the spring of 1833, he
arrived at Quincy, 111., entirely without means,
but soon after secured a position witli Judge
Henry H. Snow, who then held most of the
county offices, being Clerk of the County Com-
missioners' Court, Clerk of the Circuit Court,
Recorder, Judge of Probate, Notary Public and
Justice of the Peace. Here the young clerk
made himself acquainted with the people of the
county (at that time few in number), with the
land-system of the country and with the legal
forms and methods of procedure in the courts.
He remained with Judge Snow over two )'ears,
receiving for his services, the first year, six dol-
lars per month, and, for the second, ten dollars
per month, besides his board in Judge Snow's
family. He next accepted a situation with
Messrs. Holmes, Brown & Co., then one of the
most prominent mercantile houses of the city,
remaining through various changes of the firm
until 1844, when he formed a partnership with



66



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



his brother under the firm name of L. & C. II.
Bull, and opened a store for the sale of hardware
and crockery, which was the first attempt made
in Quincy to separate the mercantile business
into different departments. Disposing of their
business in 1861, the firm of L. & C. H. Bull
embarked in the private banking business, which
they continued in one location for about thirty
years, when they organized the State Savings
Loan & Trust Company^ in which he held the
position of President until 1898, when he retired.
Mr. Bull has always been active in promoting the
improvement and growth of the city , was one of
the five persons who built most of the horse rail-
roads in Quincy, and was, for about twenty years,
President of the Company. The Quincy water-
works are now (1898) owned entirely by himself
and his son. He has never sought or held political
office, but at one time was the active President of
five distinct business corporations. He was also
for some five years one of tlie Trustees of Illinois
College at Jacksonville. He was married in 1844
to Miss Margaret H. Benedict, daughter of Dr.
Wm. M. Benedict, of Milbury, Mass., and tliey
have five children now living. In politics he is a
Republican, and his religious associations are with
the Congregational Church. — Charles Henry
(Bull), brother of the preceding, was born in
Hartford, Conn., Dec. 16. 1823, and removed
to Quincy, 111., in June, 1837. He commenced
business as a clerk in a general store, where
he remained for seven years, when he entered
into partnership with his brother, Lorenzo Bull,
in the hardware and crockery business, to
which was subsequently added dealing in
agricultural implements. This business was
continued until the year 1861, when it was
sold out, and the brothers established them-
selves as private bankers under the same firm
name. A few years later they organized the
Merchants' and Farmers" National Bank, which
was mainly owned and altogether managed by
them. Five or six years later this bank vv-as
wound up, when they returned to private bank-
ing, continuing in this business until 1891, when
it was merged in the State Savings Loan &
Trust Company, organized under the laws of
Illinois with a capital of §300,000, held equally
by Lorenzo Bull, Charles H. Bull and Edward J.
■Parker, respectively, as President, Vice-Presi-
dent and Cashier. Near the close of 1898 the
First National Bank of Quincy was merged into
the State Savings Loan & Trust Company with
J. H. Warfield, the President of the former, as
President of the consolidated concern. Mr. Bull



was one of the parties who originally organized
the Quincy, Missouri & Pacific Railroad Com-
pany in 1869 —a road intended to be built from
Quincy, 111., across the State of Missoiiri to
Brownsville, Neb., and of which he is now
(1898) the President, the name having been
changed to the Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City
Railway. He was also identified with the con-
struction of the system of street railways in
Quincy, and continued active in their manage-
ment for about twenty years. He has been
active in various other public and private enter-
prises, and has done much to advance the growth
and prosperity of the city.

BUNKER HILL, a city in Macoupin County,
founded in 1836, on the Cleveland, Cincinnati,
Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, 37 miles northeast
of St. Louis, Mo. The city has flourishing mills
and a coal mine, several churches, a public school
and an academy. The surrounding region is
noted for stock and dairy farming and for the
raising of fruit and grain. It is the largest milk
producing point tributary to St. Louis. Popula-
tion (1880), 1,441; (1890), 1,269; (1893), by school
census, 1,340.

BUNN, Jacob, banker and manufacturer, was
born in Hunterdon County, N. J., in 1814; came
to Springfield in 1836, and, four years later, began
business as a grocer, to which he afterwards
added that of private banking, continuing until
1878, During a part of this time his bank was
one of the best known and widely regarded as
one of the most solid institutions of its kind in
the State. Though crippled by the financial
revulsion of 1873-74 and forced investments in
depreciated real estate, he paid dollar for dollar.
After retiring from banking in 1878, he assumed
charge of the Springfield "Watch Factory, in
which he was a large stockliolder, and of which
he became the President. !Mr. Bunn was, be-
tween 1866 and 1870, a principal stockholder in
"The Chicago Republican'" (the predecessor of
"The Inter-Ocean""), and was one of the bankers
wlio came to the aid of the State Government with
financial assistance at the beginning of the Civil
War. Died at Springfield, Oct. 16, 1897.— John W-
(Bunn), brother of the preceding and successor
to the grocery business of J. & J. W. Bimn, has
been a prominent business man of Springfield,
and served as Treasurer of the State Agricultural
Board from 1858 to 1898, and of the Illinois Uni-
versity from its establishment to 1893.

BUNSEN, George, German patriot and educa-
tor, was born at Frankfort-on-the-Maine, Ger-
many, Feb. 18, 1794, and educated in his native



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



67



city and at Berlin University; wliile still a
student took part in the Peninsular War whicli
resulted in the downfall of Napoleon, but resum-
ing his studies in 1816, graduated three years
later. He then founded a boys' scliool at Frank-
fort, which he maintained fourteen years, when,
having been implicated in the republican revolu
tion of 1833, he was forced to leave the country,
locating the following year on a farm in St. Clair
County, 111. Here he finally became a teacher in
the public schools, served in the State Constitu-
tional Convention of 1847. was elected School
Commissioner of St. Clair County, and, having
removed to Belleville in LS.')"), there conducted a
private school for the instruction of teachers
while discharging the duties of his office: later
was appointed a member of the first State School
Board, serving until 1800, and taking part in the
establishment of the Illinois State Normal Uni
versity, of which he was a zealous advocate. He
was also a contributor to "The Illinois Teacher,"
and, for several years prior to his death, served
as Superintendent of Schools at Belleville without
compensation. Died, November, 1873.

BURCH.\RD, Horatio C, ex Congressman, was
born at Marshall, Oneida Count)'. N. Y.. Sept. 23,
183.); graduated at Hamilton College, N. Y., in
1850, and later removed to Stephenson County,
111., making his home at Freeport. By profes-
sion he is a lawyer, but he has been also largely
interested in mercantile pursuits. From 18.57 to
1860 he was School Commissioner of Stephenson
County; from 1863 to 1866 a member of the State
Legislature, and from 1869 to 1879 a Representa-
tive in Congress, being each time elected as a
Republican, for the first time as the successor of
E. B. Washburne. After retiring from Congress,
he served for six years (1879-8.5) as Director of the
United States Mint at Philadelphia, with marked
ability. During the World's Columbian Exposi-
tion at Chicago (1893), Mr. Burchard was in
charge of the Bureau of Awards in connection
with the Jlining Department, afterwards resum-
ing the practice of his profession at Freeport.

BURDETTE, Robert Jones, journalist and
humorist, was born in Greensborough, Pa., July
30, 1844. and taken to Peoria. 111., in early life,
where he was educated in the public schools. In
1862 he enlisted as a private in the Forty-seventh
Illinois Volunteers and served to the end of the
war ; adopted journalism in 1869, being employed
upon "Tlie Peoria Transcript" and other papers
of that city. Later he became associated with
"The Burlington (Iowa) Hawkeye," upon which
he gained a wide reputation as a genial humor-



ist. Several volumes of his sketches have been
published, but in recent years he has devoted his
attention chiefly to lecturing, with occasional
contributions to the literary press.

BUREAU COUNTY, .set off from Putnam
County in 1837. near the center of the northern
half of the State, Princeton being made the
county-seat. Coal had been discovered in 1834,
there being considerable quantities mined at
Jlineral and Selby. Sheffield also has an impor-
tant coal trade. Public lands were offered for sale
as early as 1835, and by 1844 had been nearly all
sold. Princeton was platted in 1833, and, in 1890,
contained a population of 3, 396. The comity has
an area of 870 square miles, and, according to the
census of 1890, a population of 35.014. The pio-
neer settler was Henry Thomas, who erected the
first cabin, in Bureau township, in 1838. He was
soon followed by the Anient brothers (Edward,
Justus and John L. ) , and for a time settlers came
in rapid succession, among the earliest being
Amos Leonard, Daniel Dimmick, John Hall,
William Hoskins, Timothy Perkins, Leonard

Roth, Bulbona and John Dixon. Serious

Indian disturbances in 1831 caused a hegira of
the settlers, some of whom never retm-ned. In
1833 a fort was erected for the protection of the



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 13 of 207)