Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 141 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 141 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was transferred to D. H. and Benjamin B.
Hampton, formerly publishers of the "Macomb
By-Stander." Benjamin B. Hampton succeeded
G. W. Colville as secretary of the company and
became the active manager. D. H. Hampton
was made editor. Within a short time the office
was moved from the old Colville job office into a
new building erected for it at 50-52 North Cherry
street, and in August, 1899, to more spacious
quarters in the Marquette Building on South
Cherry street. Its form has been changed to a
six column quarto, although frequently publish-
ing ten, twelve and even sixteen pages. The
growth of the paper in the past few years. In
spite of hard times, has been rapid. Many addi-
tions have been made to its equipments, among
others being a Linotype machine. Under the
present management the name of the paper was
changed from "The Galesburg Daily Mail" to
"The Galesburg Evening Mail," which it now
bears. A weekly edition is also issued, and
has reached a position of influence throughout
Knox County. The paper holds the Associated
Press franchise and features its important news
items in metropolitan style. Its excellent news
service, both telegraphic and local, has gained
for the paper a clientele of readers which has
made it a valuable advertising medium. It re-
mains thoroughly republican in politics.

The "Galesburg Labor News" is published
every Saturday from the Plaindealer Printing



KNOX COUNTY.



Company's office by H. C. Smalley, who started
the paper September 14, 1895, in connection with
J. A. Smith, whom Mr. Smalley bought out in
1898. It is a six column folio, devoted to the
interests of organized labor and wage workers
generally, and is endorsed by the Trades and
Labor Assembly of Galesburg, of which it ia
the official organ.

"Liberty" was established in 1892. It was a
six column quarto, published every Saturday
by W. U. Holden. It was strictly independent
in politics, but opposed to Catholicism. After
a somewhat checkered career it ceased publica-
tion in 1897.

B.\NKS.

As a rule, banking in Knox County has been
conducted on safe, conservative principles. The
failures have been few, and the business has
Bteadily grown, in extent and volume, as pop-
ulation and wealth increased. At present, the
number of banks in the county is nineteen, lo-
cated at nine different points, five being estab-
lished at Galesburg. Their aggregate paid up
capital exceeds $1,100,000, while their surplus
and undivided profits amount to more than
J260,000. Their total annual deposits average
about ?1,750,000 and their loans reach $2,250,000
each year.

The history of the institutions throughout
the country at large may be found under the
caption of the city or town in which located. A
brief account of the inception, growth and pres-
ent condition of banking in the city of Gales-
burg is given below:

"Reed's Banking House" was the earliest, hav-
ing first opened its doors in July, 1853, as a
private bank. Its founders and sponsors were
A. D. and Horatio Reed and E, L. Chapman. In
1857, a charter was obtained under State law
and it became a bank of issue. It was success-
ful, notwithstanding the financial panic of that
year, its notes never falling below par. In 1860,
Mr. Reed erected a new building at the north-
west corner of Main and Cherry streets and the
bank was moved into more spacious quarters.
A few years later, Mr. Reed removed to Chi-
cago, and its affairs were wound up.

In the same year in which Reed's Banking
House was founded, T. L. McCoy, who had
shortly before opened a packing house at Gales-
burg, established a "wild cat" bank in connec-
tion v/ith his business. It was called the
Nemaha, and was nominally located at Browns-
ville, Nebraska. It issued a large volume of



currency, which found ready circulation, but in
the early days of the war it fell together with
scores of similar ventures.

The Knox County Savings Bank was the out-
growth of and successor to the business of Sid-
ney Meyers and Company, a banking firm or-
ganized in IStJl. Mr. Meyers soon removed to
Chicago, and Josias Grant conducted the busi-
ness under the new name until lack of funds
compelled the closing of the doors. The share-
holders lost heavily, but the depositors were
paid in full.

The First National Bank was organized in
January, 18G4, with C. H. Matthews, President;
Frans Colton, Vice-President; and E. L. Chap-
man, Cashier. Its capital stock was originally
$100,000, but was increased to $150,000. In 1866.
the present bank building on the northeast cor-
ner of Main and Cherry streets was erected.
This bank, largely through the efforts of Tim-
othy Moshier and Francis Fuller, its President
for many years, has built up a very large busi-
ness. L. F. Wertman is now President, Fred
Seacord Vice-President, and Lorin Stevens
Cashier. Its surplus and undivided profits are
$74,852; its deposits $350,000, and its loans $375,-
688.

In May, 1864, the Second National Bank was
organized, with a capital of $60,000, which v/as
afterwards increased to $100,000. David San-
born was the first President; Edwin Post, Vice-
President; and Albert Reed, Cashier. In a
sense this bank may be said to be a continua-
tion of the old Reed bank, taking much of that
concern's business and, occupying the same quar-
ters, at the northwest corner of Main and
Cherry streets. The present President is A. J.
Perry, while Andrew Harrington and J. G.
Vlvion are Vice-President and Cashier. Its sur-
plus and undivided profits amount to $50,000,
while its average deposits are $225,000 and its
loans $230,000.

The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was estab-
lished in 1870, with $100,000 capital, which has
since been increased to $200,000. First officers:
C. S. Colton, President; C. E. Grant, Vice-
President; W. Little, Cashier. Until ISSO this
bank also conducted a savings department. It
has been a very prosperous and popular institu-
tion. The present officers are: J. L. Burkhalter,
President; G. D. Crocker, Vice-President; Leon
A. Townsend, Cashier. Its surplus is $30,000;
deposits. $350,000; loans, $400,000.

The Galesburg National Bank was founded in
1884, with $100,000 capital. W. W. Washburn



KNOX COUNTY



was the first President; A. A. Smith, Vice-
President; and James H. Losey, Cashier. It was
first located on the northeast corner of Main and
Prairie streets, but in 1S97 was moved into a fine,
new building of its own, on the diagonal corner.
P. F. Brown is now President, William Robson
Vice-President, and James H. Losey Cashier.
Surplus, ?25,000; undivided profits, |100,000; de-
posits, $i;35,000; loans, ?3S5,000.

The Bank of Galesburg, a State bank, was es-
tablished in 1889, and incorporated in 1S91, with
$100,000 capital. It is located in the Fraternity
Block at the corner of Main and Kellogg
streets. The oflicers are: A. M. Craig, Presi-
dent; N. 0. G. Johnson, Vice-President; P. N.
Granville, Cashier. It has a surplus of ?50,000;
deposits of ?435,000, and loans amounting to
?457,000.

HOTELS.

Considering its size Galesburg has not had
many hotels, and of the few it has had, which
now are gone, but little is known, probably be-
cause their history was too uneventful to awak-
en a lively interest in its preservation.

The "Galesburg House" was the first hotel
here. It stood on the southwest corner of Main
and Cherry streets — a large frame building.
Messrs. Brown and Beswick built it as
early as 1841 for Sebastian Adams, the first
owner and proprietor, who sold out to Rev.
H. H. Kellogg. While he owned it Levi San-
derson was the proprietor. Other proprietors
were Abraham Neely, Clarendon R. Palmer,
who was one of the early postmasters, and
T. G. Hadley, who was the last proprietor. The
building was not used as a hotel after 1860,
and finally it burned down.

The second hotel was the "Haskell House,"
built by George Haskell and his father
a little before the coming of the rail-
road, on the north side of Main street,
about midway between Cherry and Prairie
streets. It was a three-story frame building,
quite pretentious for the times. It was sold to
a man named Bonney and called "Bonney
House" till it burned in 1859 or '60. It was
noted as the first place in Galesburg where
liquor was sold.

Next came the "Willard Hotel" on the south-
west corner of Main and Chambers streets. It
was cut up into dwelling houses about 1860.

Fourth was a frame building near the "Five
Points." It burned soon after erection.

Fifth was the "Bancroft House." the first



brick hotel in Galesburg, It was built on the
corner of Prairie and Warehouse streets in 1857
by A. N. and G. C. Bancroft, who were the
proprietors tor ten years. Si Hall and a Mr.
Cowan were later proprietors. For some time
this was the best hotel in Galesburg, but it
gradually deteriorated until it became almost
worthless. Under the names "Lindell" and
"College City" it was kept as a hotel until
about 1890.

The "Transient House" was the sixth hotel
here. It was built in 1855 by George Hinckley on
the west side of West street between Simmons
and Tompkins. J. Milton Smith, a great horse-
man, came here about that time, bought the
place of Hinckley and became the first proprie-
tor. In 1856 he sold out to Daniel Henshaw,
who ran the place for fourteen years as the
"Henshaw House." In 1871 it was cut up into
dwelling houses.

The "Clifton Hotel," the seventh Galesburg
hotel, was built in 1858 on the southeast corner
of Main and Kellogg streets, and was at first
known as the "Kellogg House" and later as
the "Commercial Hotel." When the Fraternity
Block was erected the Clifton was moved to
its present location on Seminary street, and en-
larged and improved. It is a frame building,
and was for some years the leading hotel of
Galesburg. Among the proprietors have been,
first, Jerry Roberts, then Messrs. Barton,
Owens, Blossom, Captain Lipe, James Boyd, J.
J. Jhons, Joe Sayles, and Matt Gibson.

The "Union Hotel," the eighth here, was
opened in January, 1870. It was built by a
stock company, of which Captain Grant was
President and C. S. Colton the chief stock-
holder. Finally it passed into the hands of the
Colton family. It was burned early in 1871 and
was rebuilt the same year. For a number of
years it has been one of the best hotels in Illi-
nois. The proprietors have been; Hi Belden, a
Mr. Redy, from Joplin, Missouri; Redy and
Hamilton. Maj. C. E. Hamilton, a Mr. Wormley,
Gorham and Mundy, Mundy and Brownell,
Brownell, Dixon and Stansbury, Maj. Stans-
bury, Henry Gardt and Company, and George
J. Mills. It is now owned by Henry Gardt and
Company, who lease it to Mr. Mills. It occupies
the block at the northwest corner of the Square
and Broad street.

The ninth hotel in Galesburg was "Brown's
Hotel." which, ever since its opening on No-
vember 1, 1872, has been one of the two lead-
ing hostelries in the place. It was built by a



680



KNOX COUNTY.



stock company of which Geo. W. Brown and
Charles H. Matthews were the principal stock-
holders. It is a large brick edifice on the
southwest corner of Main and Kellogg streets,
and has been altered and improved two or three
times since its first building. In 1S91 Norman
Anthony purchased it and still owns it. For
the first two years of his ownership it was run
by McMurtry Brothers and Kirch. Since then
Mr. Anthony has run it himself. The other
proprietors in order were Frank Poindexter,
Messrs. Mead, Benjamin Lombard, Sr., and Cap-
tain H. C. Case.

The next hotel here was the "European
Hotel" on Seminary street at the head of Tomp-
kins street. It was built about 1890 by Ben
Buckley, who has owned it ever since. It is a
frame building, not very large but a very
pleasant place.

The "Arlington Hotel" was built by Crocker
and Robbins on Seminary street opposite the
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad depot
and opened for business April 20, 1S9G. It
occupies part of the first and all of the second
and third stories of a large brick building. No
meals are served here, but owing to its location
and the tact and skill of its proprietor it has
secured a very large share of the transient
business of Galesburg. Charles D. Hall has
been the proprietor ever since the opening of
the house.

WATER SUPPLY.

The city is situated on a prairie, with no large
stream within its borders or in its vicinity.

Wells sunk in a retentive sub-soil afforded a
satisfactory water supply until within a few
years. In the early days the average well sunk
to the level of the hard blue clay, an ordinary
depth of from sixteen to twenty feet, seldom
failed to supply the domestic wants of a fam-
ily. A shaft sunk to greater depth, in th'e under-
lying strata, was likely to pierce into a sand
vein, with v^'hich the clay was penetrated, and
might liberate a strong underground current,
which sometimes rose to nearly the surface of
the ground.

A mammoth well on the grounds of the Chi-
cago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad for many
years supplied all the wants of the company
at this, a division point, even after the estab-
lishment of the Stock Yards. Gradually, how-
ever, there came to be felt a necessity for fire
protection. Cisterns were placed at points of
convenience, to be filled from wells and kept
In readiness for emergencies. The well at



Brown's Corn Planter works not only supplied
this extensive manufacturing plant, but wa8
also utilized for filling the public cisterns.

The first agitation for the establishment of
a system of public water works had its origin
in the appreciation of the necessity of better pro-
tection of the city against conflagration.

Court Creek, a part of the head waters of
which rise within the city limits, enters Gales-
burg about two miles from the heart of the
city through a deep valley extending twelve
miles eastward to Spoon River. The elevated
lands upon either side are cut by rapidly falling
valleys, becoming narrow and deep, and afford-
ing a natural sluice-way for the drainage of the
country for many miles on both sides. George
W. Brown had, upon his own land, formed a
small artificial lake in one of the valleys for
his own pleasure. Afterwards, he excavated an-
other, much larger, now known as Lake George,
a charming and favorite resort, a more par-
ticular description of which is given on another
page. There was also a public well upon hla
premises, and another on the grounds of the
Frost Manufacturing Company.

The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Rail-
road Company, needing a more abundant sup-
ply of water, had excavated a lake in Court
Creek Valley, with pipes running thence to the
depot grounds. At this time the entire municipal
supply consisted of a reservoir on Seminary
street, holding eleven hundred barrels, and one
on West street with a capacity of fifteen hun-
dred barrels. Two steam pumps and twelve
hydrants constituted the distributing force.

During Mayor Foote's administration, in 1883-
84, it was proposed to follow the example of the
railroad company, and to create a lake in one
of the valleys connected with Court Creek Val-
ley, from which a supply of water might be ob-
tained for general municipal purposes. It was
pointed out that no limit could be placed upon
the city's needs for years to come, as its wants
were likely to increase beyond any provisions
first made; and that an additional chain of lakes
was a feasible project, which might furnish a
water-shed of one hundred square miles.

The proposition was followed by an offer on
the part of Nathan Shelton to construct a sys-
tem of water works, requiring of the city only
a franchise and an agreement to pay a given
price per annum for a fixed number of hydrants
for fire supply.

Under an agreement, such a system was con-
structed, with several miles of pipe and a water




f^..^^.^



K N X C U N T Y



tower, the supply being obtained from a single
well some eighty feet in depth and suult
through a litteen foot gravel seam. Worthing-
ton duplex pumps were to be installed, v/ith a
capacity of 4,500 cubic feet per day. A stand-
pipe, fifteen feet in diameter and one hundred
and thirty-three feet high, was also included.
Nine miles of water main were laid and eighty
hydrants put in. The annual cost to the city
was to be eight thousand dollars.

Mr. SUelton was the promoter of the company,
whose plant was located near the Burli;igton
tracks, on North street. The supply proved
inadequate, and citizens who had, in the antici-
pation of its success, provided for taking water,
found themselves without return. Yet the pro-
ject proved sufficiently successful to lloat a
mortgage, with bonds enough to reimburse the
promoter.

The city refusing longer to pay for the serv-
ice, a protracted litigation followed, resulting
in the release of the municipality from the com-
pany's claim. In the meantime (July, 1S90),
Galesburg had commenced the construction of
a system of its own, and subsequently purchased
the Shelton works.

The Cedar Fork Valley, near the west line of
the corporate limits, was chosen for the site.
The supply is obtained from wells sunk into an
extensive, water-bearing stratum beneath the
valley of Cedar Creek. These were subsequently
re-enforced by artesian wells, penetrating the
Trenton and St. Peter's limestone. The wants
of the public are so fully met that there is
no reason to doubt that the supply from the
same sources can be indefinitely increased, and,
should necessity arise, there is still Court Creek
Valley, with its unlimited subterranean and
surface springs. Seventy-six tubular wells are
now in operation, connected by twenty-seven
hundred feet of sixteen inch suction mains. A
pump-house has been erected with two Gaskell-
HoUey, non-compound condensing engines, and
three one hundred horse power boilers. A stor-
age reservoir, with a capacity of four million
gallons, has been constructed near the pump-
house. In 1S9G, two artesian wells were drilled,
which are operated by the Hewlitt air-lift sys-
tem. There are twenty-seven miles of distribut-
ing mains, from four to sixteen inches in diam-
eter, and two hundred and ninety-four hydrants.
This system has cost the city about $230,000. .At
present 1.500,000 gallons of water can be fur-
nished daily, 1,000,000 of which are obtainable
from the drift tubular wells.



PARKS.
By J. V. N. Standlsh.

Parks and boulevards are the pride and Joy
of every city. They are sources of p!e;>.8ure
and health to everyone. Emerson says: "No
labor, pains, temperance, property, nor exer-
cise, that can gain health, must be begrudged;
for sickness is a cannibal which eats up all the
life and youth it can lay hold of, and absorbs
its own sons and daughters." No city should
neglect to provide parks and pleasure ground*
for its people. If she does, she becomes a lag-
gard in the onward march of civilization.
Civilization has its foundation in beauty and
refinement. Take away these, and n nation of
people would soon relapse into barbarism. The
man that opposes public parks is not a benefac-
tor, but an enemy, of his race.

The parks of Galesburg are small, covering
but a few acres. They are ornamental and
attractive, and are kept in the neatest manner.
A large variety of shrubs and trees decorate
the green lawn, and an abundance of flowering
plants give life and beauty to the scene. They
are under the supervision of a Park Commis-
sion of six members, created by the City
Council.

April 13, 1876, the Horticultural Society of
Galesburg presented a memorial to the Council,
asking that a Park Commission be created of
three or more members, who should have the
control and supervision of the parks, and who
should serve without compensation. On June
5, an ordinance was passed, defining the duties
and powers of the commission, and by the
mayor, George W. Brown, the following were
appointed commissioners: J. V. N. Standlsh, O.
T. Johnson, B. F. Arnold, T. J. Hale, John Mc-
Farland, and George Churchill. By the terms
of the ordinance, those appointed were required
to draw lots for length of service. O. T. John-
son and B. F. Arnold drew for one year; J. V.
N. Standlsh and John McFarland, for two
years; and T. J. Hale and George Churchill, for
three years. The board was organized by elec-
ting T. J. Hale, president, and George Churchill,
secretary. Mr. Hale served four years as pres-
ident, and Dr. Standlsh, the present Incumbent,
has served nineteen years.

May 12, 1880, an ordinance was passed to
connect the City Park with the Central Park
by a boulevard, which was planned by Dr.
Standlsh. This driveway Is regarded as the
most beautiful In the city.



682



KNOX COUNTY.



In the Spring of 1887, the president of the
Park Commission, with the approval of hla
associates, presented to the Council a plan for
Improving and beautifying Central Park, which
was adopted. This park, in one year, was made
BO beautiful as to be a rival of the most artistic
park. It has won praises from all who have
seen It. The parks of Galesburg are neat and
attractive. Their influence is felt in every nook
and corner of the city, and even in the county.

The present board Is composed of the follow-
ing: J. V. N. Standish. president; Loren
Stevens, secretary; Hiram Mars, C. A. Webster,
N. W. Boon, P. M. Stromberg. At different
times the following have been members of this
commission: O. T. Johnson, B. F. Arnold, T. J.
Hale, John McParland, George Churchill,
Francis Fuller, George C. Lanphere, M. L.
Comstock, Isaac Perkins, O. F. Price, E. P.
Williams, W. Selden Gale, Henry Gardt.

MILITARY COMPANIES.

The first military companies in Galesburg
■were organized before the Civil War, probably
In 1857, certainly not before 1856. There were
three of them, all formed about the same time.
At that period there was no State militia,
although the State furnished equipment for
volunteer companies. Probably the first of
those enlisted here was the Galesburg Light
Guards. This was an infantry company, and
numbered, perhaps, fifty men. Prominent in
organizing It were L. D. Rowell, Charles
Sheeley, James Andrews, Daniel Farrell and
a Mr. Huntoon. The company drilled on the
second floor of a building near the northwest
corner of Main and Prairie streets. At the
time of the Lincoln-Douglas debate they acted
as a bodyguard for the great contestants,
escorting them to and from the college campus,
where the speaking was heard. The first ofii-
cers of this company were: L. D. Rowell,
captain; Charles Sheeley, first lieutenant:
James Andrews, second lieutenant; and Daniel
Farrell, orderly sergeant. The organization
disbanded before 1861.

The Scandinavian Rifles was the second
Galesburg company. It was organized In 1857.
and disbanded a year or so before the war.
Nearly all the members enlisted in the Union
army. With the exception of one "section," of
about tweleve men, who were from Victoria,
It was composed of Swedes living In Galesburg.
There were from fifty to seventy members.
They drilled on the ground east of Chambers



and south of North street, and at first used a
room in Dr. McCall's water cure establish-
ment tor their armory, but subsequently had
their headquarters in a building on the north
side of Main street, just west of the public
square. They also acted as an escort of honor
to Lincoln and Douglas. Their officers, in
order of service, were: Captains, Leonard
Holmberg, A. Stenbeck and Olof Staul, who
was afterward known as Captain Olof S. Edvall,
of the Forty-third Volunteer Infantry. First
lieutenants, Olof Staul and a Swede by the
name of Shanstrom. Second lieutenants, 0. P.
Pearson, C. E. Lanstrum and Nels P. McCool.
A few of the original members still live in
Galesburg, among them being Swan Anderson,
John Erickson, C. E. Lanstrum, William O.
Nelson and Nels Olson.

There was also in those days an artillery
company in the city, which had but few mem-
bers and whose battery consisted of one gun.
It was organized in 1857 or 1858, and after a
year or two disbanded.

The three companies which have been men-
tioned, together with a Knoxville cavalry com-
pany, united to form what they styled the
"Knox County Battalion," which drilled on
the prairie, half way between Knoxville and
Galesburg. The officers were. Colonel T. J.
Hale, Lieutenant Colonel L. D. Rowell, Major
Leonard Holmberg and Sergeant Major Cal.
Cover.

There were no other military organizations
here until after the enactment of the law
creating a State militia. The first company
recruited here under that law was Company B,
of the Fourth Infantry, which was mustered
into the State service about September 27, 1878,



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 141 of 207)