Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 146 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 146 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Matthews Beadle; Vice President. Martha Scott;
Recording Secretary, Blanche Smith; Corre-
sponding Secretary, Janet Creig; Treasurer,
Mrs. Fannie Watson Plain.

MOTHERS' CLUB.— Organized in September.
1897, with eight members as a neighborhood
meeting, without officers. Purpose, mutual
sympathy and counsel, and the instruction of
the members in the general principles of child
training and domestic science, and the united
effort toward disseminating these principles
throughout the city. Present membership,
twenty-five. Present officers: President, Mrs.
H. E. Bates; Vice President, Mrs. Frank Fowler;
Secretary and Treasurer, Mrs. P. G. Wright.

TOURIST CLUB.— Organized in October. 1895.
Charter membership limited to sixteen. Pres-
ent membership, twenty-two. Purpose, to study
travel, history and art. First officers: Presi-
dent. Mrs. H. M. Chase; Vice President, Mrs.
E. E. Gunnell; Secretary, Mrs. G. L. Price;
Treasurer, Miss Bertha Davis. Present officers:
President, Mrs. H. T. Fowler; Vice President,
Mrs. A. C. Roberts; Secretary. Mrs. A. R.
Weeks; Treasurer, Miss Julia Carr.


ganized September 22, 1881, with twenty-one
charter members. Present membership sixty-
four. Meets first Tuesday and third Sunday in
Svea Hall. First officers: County Delegate.
William Twohig; President, J. J. O'Connor;
Vice President, T. F. Clark; Financial Secre-
tary, P. J. Brown; Corresponding Secretary, M.
G. Kennedy; Treasurer, John Moore. Present
officers: County President, J. W. Barry; Coun-
ty Vice President, J. H. Graham; President. M.
G. Kennedy; Vice President, J. W. Graham;
Financial Secretary, W. E. Hannan; Corre-
sponding and Recording Secretary, C. A. Rob-
erts; Treasurer, John McLernon.

banded during past year.

GALESBURG.— Organized August 31, 1897, on
a basis of two hundred members. Purpose, to
afford business men an opportunity to concen-
trate their efforts and influence in forwarding
such movements as shall tend toward the ad-
vancement and prosperity of the city. F'lrst
officers: President, P. F. Brown; Vice Presi-
dent, Solomon Frohlich; Treasurer, John G.
Vivion; Secretary, Phillip S. Post. Present offi-
cers: President. E. P. Williams; Vice Presi-
dent, Solomon Frohlich; Treasurer, John G.
Vivion; Secretary, H. A. Smith.

ganized March 17. 1885. Leases fourth and fifth
floors of Fraternity Block. Purpose, social in-
tercourse and recreation. First officers: Presi-
dent, T. J. Hale; Vice President, Clark E. Carr;
Secretary. J. K. Mitchell; Treasurer. G. P.
Hoover. Present officers: President, J, K.
Mitchell; Vice President, J. F. Anderson; Secre-
tary. J. O. Frost; Treasurer. W. W. Washburn;
Steward. F. D. Bellows.

November 30, 1896. with ten charter members.
Present membership, three hundred and forty-



eight. Meets Tuesdays in American Hall. Pur-
pose, to Americanize, educate, elevate, and ad-
vance the best interests of the Swedish element
of the American people. First officers: Monitor,
Albert Johnson; Vice Monitor, 0. P. Wenquist;
Secretary, A. B. Pierson; Treasurer, Frank
Sandberg. Present officers: M., A. B. Piersou;
V. M., Dr. M. W. Olson; Recording Secretary,
Pontus Nelson; financial Secretary, S. P. Wein-
berg; Treasurer, Frank Sandberg; P. M., F. Ed-
ward Anderson.

January 9, 1899. Purpose, the study of classical
musical productions and the presentation of the
same. Present membership — active, seventy-
five; honorary, one hundred and ten. First
officers: President, H. E. Arnold; Vice Presi-
dent, L. H. Jelliff; Treasurer, Mrs. L. H. Jelliff;
Secretary, L. R. Maddox. Present officers:
President, H. E. Kellogg; Vice President, Mrs.
G. H. Perrin; Treasurer, W. A. Armstrong, Sec-
retary, L. R. Maddox.

ganized July 27, 1897, with forty-two charter
members. Present membership, forty-seven.
Purpose, to promote fellowship among members
and to facilitate the administration of justice.
Meets Monday preceding first day of each term
of Circuit Court. First officers: President, A.
M. Brown; Vice President, C. S. Harris; Secre-
tary and Treasurer, W. T. Smith; Historian,
J. B. Boggs. Present officers: President, C.
S. Harris; Vice President, E. J. King; Secretary
and Treasurer, W. T. Smith; Historian, J. B.

OF GALESBURG.— Organized in June, 1891,
with twenty-two charter members. Present
membership, one hundred and twenty-four.
Meets fourth Thursday in Association rooms,
118 East Main street. Purpose, to foster and
maintain a permanent social feeling between
the retail merchants of Galesburg, to correct
trade evils, and to publish annually a rating
book, giving every one their honest commercial
standing. First officers: President, C. E. Lan-
strum; First Vice President, Robert McKay;
Second Vice President, A. J. Cameron; Secre-
tary, J. W. Hammond; Treasurer, John Oberg.
Present officers: President, C. E. Lanstrum;
First Vice President, G. B. Churchill; Second
Vice President, J. P. Anderson; Secretary, R.
G. Roadstrum; Treasurer, J. W. Hammond.

8, 1895, with eight charter members. Present

membersnip, one hundred and ninety. Purpose,
mental and social enjoyment. Organization has
a club house at Lake George, east of city. First
officers: President, E. S. Gunnell; Secretary
and Treasurer, R. J. Howard; Directors, A. E.
Jacobi, J. G. Beadle and H. C. Spear. Present
officers: President, L. W. Sanborn; Secretary
and Treasurer, R. J. Howard; Directors, W. E.
Phillips, H. M. Chase and Wilfred Arnold.

By Mrs. B. F. Arnold.
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union,
of Galesburg, was organized in the First Con-
gregational Church, March 6, 1874. A series of
enthusiastic tenjperance meetings, under the di-
rection of Dr. Henry A. Reynolds, had been held
and a Red Ribbon Club of men and a Women's
Union Temperance Society had been formed.
This society afterwards voted to become an
auxiliary to the State Women's Christian Tem-
perance Union. At the present time it is an in-
corporated society, under that name. The fol-
lowing persons were first elected officers: Pres-
ident, Mrs. M. Wait; Vice President, Mrs. J. H.
Sherman; Recording Secretary, Mrs. H. S.
Kurd; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. J. H. Lit-
tle; Treasurer, Mrs. Job Swift.

The first practical work of the society was
the circulation of a petition to the Common
Council praying for the closing of saloons on
election day, April 6, 1874. An anti-license pe-
tition was also circulated, which received hun-
dreds of signatures. A committee of ladies was
appointed to attend the polls on election day.
The temperance ticket wag triumphant and the
Mayor, Hon. G. W. Brown, supported by the
council, refused to grant saloon licenses. Ac-
cording to statistics furnished by the freight de-
partment of the Chicago, Burlington and Qulncy
Company, the shipments of liquor in the months
of May and June, 1874, fell off, as compared with
those of 1873, by one hundred and fifty-two bar-
rels of beer and forty-one barrels of whiskey,
while those of alcohol were only half as great.

Weekly Gospel temperance meetings were
held, and a juvenile temperance society organ-
ized by Miss Mary Allen West, under the name
of the Band of Hope.

On March 9, 1875, it was voted to establish
temperance coffee rooms, the first being located
in the Allen building and formally opened to the
public by a supper and reception on May 10. The
use of this room for twenty-five years was given




to the society in March. 1S7S. by the owner. Mr.
Sheldon Allen, in consideration of the payment
of a nominal rental of twenty-five cents a year
in addition to all taxes and assessments.

Mrs. Wait served the society as its I'rcsident
for four years, and was succeeded, in 1S7S, by
Mrs. M. L. Hyde.

The personnel of the society at its beginning
was strong, and its impress was felt in every
line of work in which it engaged. No local his-
tory could fully or truthfully represent the
sentiment of the times, which failed to mention
the names of some of those whose character
was so strongly impressed upon the temperance
movement of the years succeeding the crusade.
Energy and wisdom — tempered by God's grace
and a consecrated purpose to help make the
world better — mark the records of those times.

Mrs. Wait, the first President, was a singular-
ly Godly woman, whose sudden death left the
city full of mourners, and who had provoked
no word of adverse criticism.

Miss West, of whom it was said "the State
has produced no other woman who has rendered
it such signal service," served the city during
the Civil War as President of the Soldiers' Aid
Society. She was the first teacher of the first
school for colored children in Galesburg, and
the County Superintendent of Public Schools for
several years. The State claimed her as Presi-
dent of the W. C. T. U. until she was elected
editress of the "Union Signal," which position
she filled until she was sent as a temperance
missionary to Japan. The Lord called her from
an earthly to a heavenly service from the home
of a loved friend and pupil, in December, 1892.
Her favorite motto of "Grace, Grit and Gump-
tion" expressed the governing principle of her
life, and her influence and example still inspire
her sisters to faithful effort.

Many others — capable, efficient, zealous toil-
ers — have carried the work forward, and last
year the Galesburg Union, in point of mem-
bership, was the banner Union in the Tenth
Congressional District.

The especial lines of work which have been
carried on in recent years are the teaching of
the Sunday School lesson and the holding of
a Gospel service every Sunday in the county
jail. A column of temperance items has been
furnished ^veekly to one or both of the city's
daily papers. An employment bureau has been
in operation for several years, and many girls
have been furnished with work, and not a few
homes with efficient help. A room is furnished

in tli(> Free Ki.idergarton building, where needy
women and girls can secure a night's lodging.
A Woman's Exchange was carried on until there
seemed no longer any need for an enterprise of
that character. Money is raised and given for
any object which promotes the cause of tem-

A monthly mothers' meeting Is held, attended
mainly by women whose children are pupils at
the Free Kindergarten, and a social evening,
with devotional exercises and refreshments,
help to give to their daily lives a fresh impulse
and a regeneration of hope.

The rooms of the organization, on Prairie
street, are open headquarters for the dissemina-
tion of all kinds of temperance Information,
and for the general advancement of the cause.
A lady is always in charge, to welcome stran-
gers and offer them rest and refreshment. Many
are the sin-stricken, troubled ones who seek this
haven, confident of sympathy and help.

Although located in a city where saloons are
licensed by law, the trust bequeathed to the
society has been sacredly kept, and it may be
said, without fear of successful contradiction
that the interests of temperance are preserved
before the public, that the community is better,
the true development of the city advanced, the
best interests of the youth preserved, and
Christianity itself rendered more efficient, be-
cause of the influence radiating from the Wom-
en's Christian Temperance Union.


The medical institutions of the City of Gales-
burg are two in number, the Galesburg Hospital
and the Sanitarium.

The former Is controlled by an association of
subscribing members, which was formed at a
public meeting held on the evening of April 24,
1891, pursuant to a call. The next evening a
committee, appointed for that purpose, named
the following directors: Forrest F. Cooke, pre-
siding officer of the Assembly, ex-offldo, J. T.
McKnight, Loren Stevens, Asa A. Matteson, Mrs.
C. C. Merrill, Max J. Mack, E. A. Bancroft, Mrs.
Samuel McCullough, Nels Nelson, James O'Con-
nor, Mrs. E. C. Stone, John Lass. Robert Chap-
pell, Fred R. Jelliff, Mrs. Swan Anderson and
Mrs. J. M. Barden. During the next month the
Board organized with these officers: J. T. Mc-
Knight. President: Mrs. E. C. Stone, Vice Presi-
dent; Loren Stevens, Treasurer; Miss Mary
Scott, Secretary. On July 4, 1893, the commo-
dious and beautiful building situated on Semi-



nary street, just north of Losey, was thrown
open to the public and the following day the
hospital was opened for the reception of pa-
tients. The structure, with the equipment, cost
about twenty-five thousand dollars, and nearly
all the rooms were furnished and maintained
by churches or other organizations. Member-
ship in the Hospital Association is secured only
by subscription. A Board of Trustees, elected
by the association at the annual meeting, held
in May, manages the affairs of the institution,
which is now regarded as absolutely necessary
to the city's well being. The present officers
are: Loren Stevens, President; A. J. Perry,
Vice President; Alfred Olson, Treasurer; Miss
Mary Scott, Secretary.

It was originally known as the "Cottage Hos-
pital." In 1898 the name "Galesburg Hospital"
was substituted. The city appropriates the sum
of one hundred dollars monthly towards Its sup-

The Sanitarium is located at 325 Division
street. Its director and proprietor is Dr. A. G.
Humphrey, who began his work here in 1861, on
a very modest scale. Returning to the city in
1866, after an absence of two years, he estab-
lished his present sanitarium on a farm on the
Knoxville road. In 1891, he erected and equipped
the building which he now occupies. The
Hygeio-Therapeutic system is practiced. The
house is fitted with all modern conveniences and
has accommodations for about twenty patients.


Few subjects for thought more deeply and
genuinely interest the reflective mind than
does the history of men and events. It may be
that abstractly considered, the narrative of
stirring public events has more attraction for
the average reader than the less thrilling
stories of the individual life of the men and
women whose deep devotion to duty, capability
for ignoring self, and faithful performance of
each task, as it comes to hand, render possible
the writing of the more glowing page of general
history. Yet the concrete is but the aggregate
result of individual effort. Just as the lines
and features of many faces go to make up the
composite photograph, so the acts and char-
acters of men leave their impress upon the
plate behind the lens of history. In other
words, history is condensed biography, while
"biography is history teaching by example."

It is well, sometimes, to go deeper than is
possible under generalization, and to trace the
hopes and fears, the achievements and failures,
the ambitions and discouragements, that en-
grossed the attention of those who have made
history. It is for this reason that in the fol-
lowing pages, and in others that succeed them,
there are gathered, with such condensation as
the limits of the work render necessary, the de-
tails of the life story of many of those prom-
inent citizens whose courage and energy have
gone far toward placing Knox County and
Galesburg in their present position of eminence.
Here are the pioneers, who left ease and com-
fort to found a new settlement and establish a
seat of learning in the West. Here, too, may
be read the lives of their descendants and fol-
lowers — many of the latter coming from beyond
the sea— who have emulated their virtues and
builded wisely and well upon the foundation
which they had laid. Most of the early settlers
have passed away, rich in a treasure not of
earth, yet leaving memories which will ever be
held in reverence and which it is the aim of

such volumes as this to preserve and perpetuate.
Among these biographical memoirs may be
found mention of those who imparted the first
impulse to trade; of mechanics and inventors
who have aided in promoting the manufactures
of the county; of financiers, who have rendered
possible the development and marketing of its
natural resources; of educators, clergymen,
physicians and lawyers, whose influence upon
the intellectual life and moral growth of a
young community it is not easy to over-
estimate; and not a few of those who, not seek-
ing fame, are content with the approval which
comes from a sense of duty well performed,
and who, as a class, constitute the very bulwark
of a well ordered democracy.

It is to such men as these that city and
county alike owe the magnificent development
which half a century has witnessed. Colleges
have been built, church spires, pointing heaven-
ward, symbolize, in architectural form, the
faith and aspirations of the people; and trade
has stretched its arms across the fertile
prairies to gather in the products of the farm
for shipment over the iron-shod highways of
commerce. Such achievements as these form
an enduring monument to the men whose faith,
energy and perseverance have rendered possible
the accomplishment of such magnificent results.


Josiah Babcock, son of Josiah and Sarah (Pet-
tingill) Babcock, was born in Andover, New
Hampshire, August 22, 1823. His paternal
grandfather, who had the same name, was born
in Milton, Massachusetts, July 6, 1752. His ma-
ternal grandfather was Amos Pettingill; the
time and place of his birth are unknown. His
father, who was also ramed Josiah, was born
in Andover, New Hampshire, September 21, 1791,
and his mother, Sarah Pettingill, was born in
Salisbury. New Hampshire, September 21, 1797.

Josiah Babcock, the third of the same name

K .\ U X C U U N 'J' \

in the line, was not reared in affluence. His
early years W'^re spent among the stern anil
rugged hills of his Li"t;ve state. His education
was obtained in the common schools and in
Hampden Academy, Maine. He was not broadly
educated, but was thoroughly trained in those
branches necessary to a practical business life.
In his boyhood days he woriced in the lumber
camps on the Penobscot river in Maine. When
only eighteen years of age, he ran a saw mill for
his father. He continued in this work for
five years, when he came West, reaching Peoria,
Illinois, in 1846. Here he was engaged in a
wholesale house of general merchandise for
Moses Pettingill. After two years of service,
he bought an inteiest in the firm and became a
junior partner. He conducted this business suc-
cessfully for several years, when he sold out and
came to Galesburg in 1852. His first partner-
ship here was with Warren Willard in a store
of general merchandise. He soon sold out and
engaged in the hardware business with Reed
and Stilson under the firm name of Reed, Bab-
cock and Stilson.

Mr. Babcock continued in this business, al-
most uninterruptedly, until the day of his
death, which occurred September 1, 1897, at the
age of seventy-three. He first bought Reed's
and Stilson's interest and ran the business in
his own name. He then sold out to Calkins and
Wilcox, which firm existed but a short time. He
next took Mr. Reed as a partner under the firm
name of Reed and Babcock. This copartner-
ship lasted until Mr. Reed's death, and then it
was changed to Babcock and Pierpont. This last
copartnership continued until the retirement of
Mr. Pierpont in 1893. Then Mr. Babcock con-
tinued the business in his own name.

Mr. Babcock was prosperous in every relation
of life. He started almost alone in the world
and became a man of wealth. He possessed abil-
ity and was always noted for his honesty of pur-
pose. He had no high aspiration for the honors
of office, but was contented with the simplicity
of home lite and with the duties devolving upon
him as a citizen. He took his position in the
ranks of toilers working in the interest of the
city, and earned the reputation of a man whose
word is law and whose acts are just and right.
His views were broad, charitable, and intelli-
gent; and his life was a blessing to the com-
munity in which he lived.

Mr. Babcock always took an active interest in
the prosperity and welfare of the city of his
adoption. Every line of business and every pro-
ject which his judgment approved received his
cordial support. He encouraged the establish-
ment of the Electric Power and Motor Com-
pany, and was a part owner and director. For
thirty years, he was a director in the Second
National Bank of Galesburg, and for many
years its Vice President. He was always re-
garded as one of its most trustworthy guardians
and managers.

He was a friend of education. He believed not
only in the common school system but in higher
institutions of learning. He was a staunch sup-
porter of Knox College, and for many years was

one of its trustees. His discretion and judg-
ment, as a member of its Executive Committee,
were appreciated and acknowledged.

Politically, Mr. Babcock was a republican, but
in no sense a partisan. No man ever exercised
the right of suffrage in a freer spirit than he.
He voted for measures, not men. In religious
faith, he was a Congregationalist and a deacon
in the church for many years.

He was wedded in Hampden, Maine, Novem-
ber 7, 1853, to Catherine Wheeler, daughter of
Willard Wheeler, who was once a sea captain.
To them were born three children, Alice, wife
of W. J. Pierpont, living in Crescent City, Flor-
ida; William W.; and Josiah, who is engaged
in the hardware business in the store building
formerly occupied by his father.


(.Sec /«/(/('.s.)',- mid .IS.)


A. W. UEKUdltEN.

August Werner Berggren is emphatically a
self-made man. He has risen from the service
of an apprenticeship to exalted stations of honor
and trust. He was born in Amots Uruk, Ock-
elbo Socken, Sweden, August 17, 1840, and is the
son of Johan and Karin (Hanson) Berggren.
His father was a self-educated man, winning
his way to success by his shrewdness and native
ability. He was a great reader, but he learned
his most valuable lessons in the school of expe-
rience. He held several minor offices and looked
after cases in courts, administering estates and
the like. For thirteen years he ran a flouring
mill. Afterwards he purchased a farm on which
he lived until he emigrated to this country in

Mr. Berggren is an example of the accom-
plishment of much in spite of limited educa-
tional advantages. He attended the village
schools in Sweden, until he was 14 years of age.
living at the same time on a farm.

Then he was apprenticed to learn the tailor's
trade. The contract drawn by his father pro-
vided that for the first three years he should
work for his master without remuneration; for
the fourth year he was to receive thirty-flve
riksdaler; and for the fifth, forty (a riksdaler
being about equal to 27 cents In American
money). The father was to furnish the cloth
for the tailor to make the apprentice's clothing.
In case of the death of the apprentice during the
first year of his apprenticeship the father should
pay the tailor fifteen riksdaler. When the father
decided lo emigrate to this country he was
obliged to pay the master tailor fifty jlksdaler
for the release of his son.

Mr. Berggren first came to Oneida, and then
went to Victoria, where he found employment
in the tailoring establishment of Jonas Hall-
strom. at eight dollars a month and board and
washing for one year.

He then came to Galesburg and worked at his
trade, where opportunities were presented. In
1860. he moved to Monmouth. Warren County,
and worke

Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 146 of 207)