Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 148 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 148 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


State oSlcers of Illinois, Colonel Carr and other
patriotic men came as champions of their cause
before the people, and succeeded in keeping the
State Government in the control of Governor
Yates and his colleagues. In September, 1863, a
great mass meeting was held in Chicago for the
purpose of sustaining President Lincoln in
issuing the Emancipation Proclamation. It was
here, from the Court House steps, that Colonel
Carr made one of the greatest speeches of his
life. It was published in the Chicago papers
and circulated throughout the country.

Colonel Carr has always shown himself to be
a public spirited man.

He has held several offices in the city of his
adoption. He was a delegate to the National
Convention, held at Baltimore in 1864, which re-
nominated President Lincoln. He was a dele-
gate from the State-at-large to the National
Convention in 1884. which nominated Blaine
and Logan. He was a member of the committee
on the platform resolutions, of which committee
President McKinley was chairman.

It is almost needless to say that Colonel Carr
is and always was a republican. He has spoken
in almost every northern State in advocacy of
republican principles. He also made many liter-
ary addresses, and his services in both the polit-
ical and literary field are still in great demand.
He spoke at the first meeting in favor of the
Hennepin Canal, held at Ottawa many years
ago, and was present at the Willard Hall meet-
ing in Washington, and at other meetings favor-
ing the enterprise. A great event in which



Colonel Carr bore a conspicuous part was in
the organization of the Gettysburg Association.
Commissioners from the several States whose
soldiers had participated in that battle consti-
tuted the Association. Colonel Carr was ap-
pointed commissioner for Illinois by the Gov-
ernor. The dead bodies were to be consigned to
their graves, and headstones erected, before
the cemetery was finally turned over to the
general Government. It was this Association
that invited President Lincoln and his Cabinet
to be present, and Edward Everett to deliver the
oration at the dedicatory exercises, and it was
Colonel Carr that suggested and urged that Lin-
coln also be invited to speak. All these com-
missioners sat on the stage, when the great
patriotic President delivered that celebrated ad-
dress.

Colonel Carr has been honored by being called
to high positions, and he has honored the posi-
tions to which he has been called.

Under President Harrison's administration, he
was appointed Minister Resident and Consul
General to Denmark. While a conference of
Consuls General, of which he was a member,
was in session in Paris, he received notice from
Washington of his promotion to the rank of
Minister Plenipotentiary and Envoy Extraordi-
nary, in which position he represented our coun-
try at that brilliant court for four years. As
Minister, Colonel Carr performed signal service
in the interest of the World's Fair and for the
commerce of the United States. He served
his country faithfully for four years as Minister
at Copenhagen, and received the highest com-
mendations from the Government.

Colonel Carr is entitled to great credit for the
part he took in inducing the Santa Fe Company
to build the line of their railway through Gales-
burg. The company made several surveys with
the design of finding the shortest practical line
to Chicago. Orders were issued to adopt the line
about twelve miles south of Galesburg.
Through the efforts of Colonel Carr, the com-
pany was induced to prospect a line through
this city, which v/as finally adopted upon cer-
tain conditions. While the citizens contributed
generously to the work of complying with those
conditions, but for the efforts of Colonel Carr,
the Santa Fe Railway would have gone direct
from Fort Madison to Streator, leaving Gales-
burg to one side.

Colonel Carr also took a deep interest in the
Omaha Exposition. He was President of the
Illinois commission, composed of twenty mem-
bers appointed from different parts of the
State. The commission erected a beautiful
building on the grounds, which became a pop-
ular resort. The affairs of this commission
were so well managed as to elicit the highest
commendations. An unexpended portion of the
appropriation of nearly $7,000 was left in the
State Treasury. For this, much credit is due
to the president of the commission.

For his faithful, energetic, and effective work
in support of the movement to introduce Indian
corn into northern Europe as food tor man.
Colonel Carr was elected president of the Amer-




oor^:^^




KNOX COUNTY.



ican Maize Propaganda, which position he now
holds.

Of the family of Colonel Carr, something
should be said. An elder brother, Brigadier Gen-
eral Eugene A. Carr, graduated at West Point
in 1850. He was Major General of Volunteers
during the Civil War, took part in many bat-
tles, including Vicksburg. Pea Ridge, and Mo-
bile, and was wounded several times. Colonel
B. 0. Carr, another brother, served in the vol-
unteer army during the war; another brother,
Rev. H. M. Carr, was chaplain; and another
brother, George P. Carr, deceased, rose to the
rank of Captain. A sister. Mrs. John C. Fahn-
stock. is a resident of this city.

Colonel Carr was married December 31, 1873,
to Grace Mills, only daughter of the Honorable
Henry A. Mills, of Mt. Carroll, Illinois. Mrs.
Carr is a sister of Major Stephen C. Mills, of
the regular army. To Colonel and Mrs. Carr
were born two children, Julia C, born April 2,
1876; and Lieutenant Clark Mills, born March
16, 1S78, who served with credit during the
late war with Spain, in the Ninth Illinois Regi-
ment of Infantry.

M.Vl KK'E J.VMES CHASE, M. 1).

Maurice James Chase, M. D., son of Benjamin
Chapman and Eliza (Royce) Chase, was born in
Cornish, Sullivan County. New Hampshire,
March 4, 1826. His father was a farmer, and
owing to conditions induced by maternal im-
pressions, was born into this world bereft of two
important faculties — hearing and speech. His
mother's domestic feelings were unusually
strong, and her tender sympathies made her
efficient in the care of the sick and distressed.

The first settlement of Cornish by the Chases
is quite romantic. About the year 1700, George
Gifford, of Massachusetts, ceded the township
to Aquilla and Priscilla Chase, ancestors of M.
J. Chase. They took all their personal effects in
a row-boat up the Connecticut River and took
possession of the ceded grant. Formerly in this
township, the Chase family was very numerous.
Most of the church and town offices were held
by them. It was here that Chief Justice Sal-
mon P. Chase was born. It is here that he and
very many of that name can trace their com-
mon ancestry.

Maurice James Chase received a thorough and
practical education in the New England public
schools of his time, which fitted him to enter
upon a more advanced course of study at the
Kimball Union Academy — an institution of na-
tional reputation. After finishing his academic
course, he commenced in 184.') the study of medi-
cine — a profession that he had selected in very
early life. He was a student of the famous Dr.
Dixi Crosby, who was " >si,ipnt of the Medical
Department of Dartmoiiih. He attended a full
course of lectures at the Medical College at
Woodstock. Vermont, and two full courses also,
at Dartmouth. He graduated June 17, 1850, and
soon thereafter settled in South Boston, Massa-
chusetts, in the practice of his profession.
Thinking that there were broader fields of use-
fulness and influence in the West, he came to



Indiana in February, 1854, and |)raiti(i'd there
tor two years. He then removed to Macomb,
Illinois, and remained there until July, 1859,
when he came to Galesburg, where he has been
a successful practitioner for forty years.

Dr. Chase has earned an honorable distinc-
tion in the practice of his profession. His
reputation for careful and painstaking treat-
ment is acknowledged. His clinical instruction
is full and complete, and his diagnosis of
thousands of cases is a proof of his erudition and
ability. As a physician, his labors have been
crowned with success, and much of that success
is due to the sympathy which he feels and ex-
presses for his patients. He believes that care
and attention are as important as medicine.

In religious belief, he is a Universalist. His
creed is the Fatherhood of God and the Brother-
hood of man. He says of himself: "From ray
earliest recollections I have been a firm be-
liever in prayer and communion with God, our
Heavenly Father. It is a great duty and high
privilege to keep and revere the first and the
second great commandments of the New Testa-
ment."

Dr. Chase is a strong temperance man; never-
theless, politically, he affiliates with the repub-
lican party.

He was united in marriage to Lucy F.
Crocker, March 15, 1849. There were born to
them four children, two now living: Henry
Maurice, born November 3, 1850. died March 5,
1854: Ella L.. born December. 1853. died October,
1854; Henry Maurice, 2d. born February 9. 1860;
Ella L., 2d, born March 30, 1836.

Henry M. Chase was married June 5. 1884, to
Jane Ewing Phillips. They have two children:
Phillips M., born April 6, 1886; and Margaret
Evertson, born December 22, 18S9. Ella L.
Chase was married March 30, 1874. to Arthur W.
Conger, who died in 1890. Three children were
born to them: Lucy M., born January 22. 1875;
Delia, born December 4. 1886; and Etheline.
born October 4, 1888. Her second marriage
was with Hon. Howard Knowles. March 4. 1896.

(JEOItGK CHI RCHILL.

"Sow a character and you reap a destiny."
The truth of this maxim finds abundant exem-
plification in the life and labors of George
Churchill. There is scarcely a department in-
augurated for the improvement of this city, or
for the bettering of the condition of its peo-
ple, without a trace of his handiwork. He has
been "part and parcel" of the city of Galesburg
and Knox College almost from their very in-
ception, and their history would be incomplete
and almost worthless without the embodiment
of the life-work of Professor George Churchill.
Dr. Churchill, son of Norman and Anna I Rg-
gleston) Churchill, was born in Herkimer
County, New York, April 2, 1829. His father
came to Galesburg early in the Fall of 1S.'?R. and
purchased a ten-acre lot on West Main street,
known as the "Churchill home." Into this
"home" he moved with his family in 1839. where
he 'ivpd and died, an honored citizen, SeptemhAr
20. 1886. at the advanced age of nearly eighty-



714



K N U X C U N T V



seven years. He was the son of Reverend
Jesse Churchill, and was born in Hubbardton,
Vermont, November 5, 1799.

The early educational advantages of Dr.
George Churchill were of the kind incident to a-
new country. At that time, the necessities of the
family and home had to be supplied and the
culture of the mind was treated more as an
incidental matter. However, young George's
youth was given to the study of such books as
were at his command, and to the contemplation
of the open book of Nature for which he had
an innate fondness. He entered Knox College
as a student in the Preparatory department in
the first year of its history. With thorough
preparation, he afterwards entered the college
classes and graduated in 1S51.

After graduation, there was no time afforded
him for recreation or rest. His first year was
spent as civil engineer on the Central Military
Tract Railroad, which afterwards became part
of the main line of the Burlington system.

Appreciating the inefficiency of the public
schools of Galesburg and vicinity, and desiring
to supplant them with a better system, he next
made a trip to Europe, in order to make a most
thorough inspection of the Prussian schools.
For this tour, he had exceptional facilities. Let-
ters from the Secretary of State and from other
influential men were given him, and he was
thus enabled to gain an accurate knowledge of
the Prussian system of education. On his re-
turn to Galesburg, he addressed himself to the
task of arousing public sentiment in favor of an
improved school system, that should, in some
measure, be comparable to the one he had been
studying. Not only his time and energy were
lavished without stint, but his slender salary as
teacher was encroached upon to secure the
assistance of Honorable Henry Barnard, of Con-
necticut, who afterwards received the first ap-
pointment as Commissioner of Education for the
United States. The co-operation of the various
educational interests ultimately resulted in
procuring a special charter by which the former
district schools were consolidated, and the
foundations of the present system, with all its
essential features, were laid. The Board of
Education has shown a just appreciation of Dr.
Churchill's services in this direction, by naming
what was called the Grammar School the
"Churchill School," and by adopting, January
14, 1896, the following resolutions:

Resolved, That we tender a vote of thanks to
Professor Churchill, thus expressing our high
appreciation for the efforts he made in securing
a higher education for the public schools of
Galesburg by a special charter, which passed
the Legislature in 1859; and that we extend to
him an invitation to be the guest of this Board
to visit our schools and see if we have come
up to his expectations, both in buildings and in
teaching.

Dr. Churchill has been fully appreciated by
his fellow citizens, and at their hands has held
many positions of honor and trust. For thir-
teen years, he was a member of the Board of
Education. For twenty-two years, he served in



the capacity of City Engineer. For two terms,
he served as Alderman. For eight years, he was
a member of the Board of Park Commissioners.
For twenty-three years, he held a position on
the Library Board, which position he held until
his death, which occurred in September, 1899.
Besides all these extra duties and labors, which
were performed acceptably and well, and which
demanded the meed of praise from every citizen,
he filled a Professor's Chair in Knox College
for the long period of forty-four years.

Dr. Churchill was born to be useful. He was
born to do good. He was born especially as an
educator of youth. Nobly and grandly, he
fulfilled his mission. In his instruction, he was
lucid and thorough, and, whatever the subject
taught, he never failed to interest. Thousands
of men and women, scattered over our land, as
the evening shadows fall and as their wander-
ing thoughts revert to the scenes of their school
days, will picture the stalwart form of Dr.
George Churchill. They will recall with deeper
affection his peculiar and interesting manner of
teaching and his many quaint and always in-
structive speeches. They will ever regard his
name and Knox College as one and inseparable.

As a citizen. Dr. Churchill was deservedly
popular. He was intelligent, and amiable in
disposition; honorable in purpose and char-
acter; charitable towards the unfortunate; kind
and loving in all domestic relations; a friend
to the poor and needy; and a lover of all that
makes for righteousness and is a benefit to the
human race. He was a practical and consistent
man and won his way by his urbanity and
vigorous common sense.

In religious faith. Dr. Churchill was a Congre-
gationalist. When sixteen years of age, he be-
came a member of the Old First Church. At the
time of his death, September 10, 1899, he was a
member of its successor, the Central Church.
He served forty years as deacon; twenty-five
years as Superintendent of the Sabbath school,
and more than twenty-five years as leader of the
choir. He was also a member of the building
committee of the present church structure. He
was director and President of the Mechanics'
Homestead and Loan Association since its or-
ganization in 1882. the assets and disbursements
of which to the present time amount to two and
a half million dollars.

Dr. Churchill was thrice married. His first
wife was Clara A. Hurd. To them was born one
son, Milton E., now Dean of the Faculty of
Illinois College, Jacksonville.

His second wife was Ada H. Hayes. Of this
union, one daughter and two sons were born:
Mary Hayes, who died July 7, 1863; Charles E.,
a lawyer, in Chicago: and George B., a hard-
ware merchant of Galesburg.

His third wife was Ellen Sanborn Watkins.
One son was born to them, William David. By
a former marriage, his third wife had a daugh-
ter. Mrs. Nellie Sanborn (Watkins) Wetherbee.

JWERRITT M. CLARK,

Merritt M. Clark, a patriot soldier during the
Civil War, was born at Manchester, Bennington







9XZ: ^il ^-^c.



r^



K N O X C U N 'J' ^'



County. Vermont, .laiuiary 10. INii."). He was
the youngest son of Chester anil Saviah (Matte-
son) Clark, and was left fatherless when only
eleven years of age. In 1851, he came to Gales-
hurg with his mother, and lived here the re-
mainder of his life.

Mr. Clark acquired the rudiments of his edu-
cation in the district schools of his native State.
Afterwards, he supplemented this instruction
with a more thorough course of study. He
matriculated in Knox College, and graduated
with high honors in 1857. After graduation, he
read law with the Arm of Smith and Ford, and
was soon admitted to practice in the courts of
the State. In the Spring of 18(il. a law partner-
ship was formed with Judge A. A. Smith and
E. P. Williams, which continued until 1862. Im-
bued with patriotic fervor, he entered the army
as a commissioned officer, and served, though
with impaired health, until the close of the
war. His patriotism and his love for his com-
panions in arms are shown by the following in-
cident: A member of the law firm, in which he
was once a partner, urged him to obtain a dis-
charge from the service on account of his poor
health, and with a true Roman spirit olfered to
take his place. He replied, that he could not
ask such a favor, when his companions,- suffer-
ing as much as he, could not obtain a release.
Having been a partaker with them in the
triumphs of battle and the shouts of victory,
he could not desert them in an hour of dark-*
ness, disease, or death. With an heroic spirit
and with a manly courage that did not quail
in the smoke of battle, he remained at his post
until victory was won.

After Mr. Clark's discharge, he returned to
his home, where he remained, highly honored,
until his death. Immediately, he was elected
Police Magistrate, which office he filled until
the Spring of 186fi. He then formed a law
partnership with E. P. Williams, which was
dissolved in 1S71 on account of Mr. Clark's ill-
health. During 1871. he was elected City Attor-
ney, which office he held for one year.

As a lawyer. Mr. Clark possessed certain emi-
nent characteristics. He was fair and honest,
and a sense of justice and equity seemed to con-
trol his actions. He was accurate and pains-
taking in cases at court, and his quick percep-
tions and versatile mind enabled him to dis-
cover the weak and strong points In trial or
argument. As a soldier, he virtually gave his
life to his country. Disease, contracted on the
field of battle, did not quench the fire of patriot-
ism that was burning within him, or turn him
from the path of duty. His name is worthy to
be enrolled on the scroll of fame with the
patriots of his time. As man and citizen, he
bore an unsullied character. His demeanor was
pleasing, but not commanding. He was char-
itable in his speech and acts, and his kindly
nature drew around him many friends. He
lived a life full of kindness and love, and is
worthy to have inscribed upon his tombstone
this epitaph— an honest man.

Mr. Clark was a Congregationalist, a member
of the Old First Church. His political faith was



republican. He was married Sei)tPnibor 1.'. 1857.
to Celia A. I'inker, a daughter of Hev. Charles
E. and Mary (Robinson) Tinker. Rev. Charles
E. Tinker was a Home Missionary about 1840.
To Mr. and Mi-s. Clark were born seven chil-
dren: Mary Ina, died in childhood: huella M.:
Chester M.; Charles T.; Jay ('.; Willis J., and
Alice Pauline.

CHAINCEY SILL COLTO.N.

Chauncey Sill Colton was a remarkable man.
His name is as imperishable as the name of the
city of his adoption. A halo surrounds it. which
will grow brighter and brighter, as the history
of Galesburg and its early struggles shall be
known and read. Without him, this city of
beauty and refinement, of schools and colleges,
as it is to-day, could never have been. It was he,
with the aid of others, that brought the great
Burlington system to this city. Without this
railroad, Galesburg would be a "deserted vil-
lage" on the plain. He was its chief promoter
and the only director living on the line of the
road for a quirter of a century, during which
time the original railway, of eighty miles in
length, expanded to five thousand miles. All the
extensions in Illinois were made on his sugges-
tion and insistence; and he was the first to
urge its extension beyond the Mississippi. All
honor is due to him for incessant labors in
building up the city of his home. Like many a
great man and worker for humanity, he built
wiser than he knew; but future generations
will enjoy the fruits of his labors.

Mr. Colton was a native of Springfield. Penn-
sylvania, born September 21. 1800. His parents
were Justin and Abigail (Sill) Colton and were
natives of Massachusetts. They lived for one
year in Pennsylvania, and then returned to
their New England home. Young Chauncey
spent his boyhood at Longmeadow. Massachu-
setts, with his grandfather, whose precepts and
advice did much to establish his character. He
attended the academy at Monson, Massachu-
setts, and improved all the means of learning
there given. But his large acquirements were
obtained in the great school of practical ex-
perience in life.

Mr. Colton was of English descent. His
American progenitor was Quartermaster George
Colton. who came to this country from Sut-
tancofleld. Sussex County. England, in 1640. and
settled at Windsor, Hartford County, Con-
necticut. His grandfather, Captain Gad Colton.
was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.

In 1820. after finishing his course of study at
the academy. Mr. Colton went to Monson.
Maine, and resided there for ten years. But the
opportunities amid the rocks, moimtains. and
rugged barrenness of New England seemed to
him too narrow and confined. He therefore re-
solved to try his fortune in the Great West, then
an almost unexplored wilderness. In June. 1836,
he took up his abode in this city and lived here,
an honored and highly respected citizen, the
remainder 'J his life. His first occupation was
in the mercantile line. In which he was emi-
nently successful. But his chief business, of in-



716



KNOX COUNTY.



terest to this section, was the buying and ship-
ping of its staple products. He shipped the
first beef and pork, the first wheat and corn
from central Illinois. The route of shipments
was down the Illinois and Mississippi rivers to
New Orleans, thence, by sea, to New York and
Liverpool. He favored every enterprise which
was for the advancement and interest of the
city and State. He was one of the founders of
the First National Bank, in which he was a
director many years. He was also one of the
founders of the Farmers' and Mechanics' Bank,
In which he was the largest stockholder and its
first President. His money and his counsel aided
much in the erection of Union Block and other
buildings. He built and occupied the first house
in Galesburg. He also built the first school
house in the town, and paid for it himself.
Some years later, the frame of the old First
Church was raised, but stood uncovered for
about two years, until Mr. Colton offered to
complete it himself, and let the members of the
society pay their subscriptions when able to do
so. Indeed, from the day of his arrival to the
time of his death, it would be difficult to men-
tion a worthy enterprise that he did not favor
and assist. Public spirited, high-minded, pos-
sessing great native talents and a keen judg-
ment, he readily comprehended matters and in
every undertaking, knew what was best to be
done.

Although not a church member until late in
life, Mr. Colton always considered churches and
schools of primary importance in a community.

He was a member of the Old First Church.
At the organization of the Brick Congregational
Church, under Dr. Edward Beecher, he united
with it and remained a communicant as long as
he lived, and gave liberally for its support.

He had also a great faith in Knox College,



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 148 of 207)