Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 158 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 158 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he spent the early morning and the evening
with a portion of the night in reading and
study.

A chancery suit, involving his father's farm,
was the immediate cause of Judge Thompson's
removal from Iowa to Illinois. His first co-
partnership was with Mr. Davis under the firm
name of Davis and Thompson. This co-partner-
ship was dissolved, and from 1S83 to 1893, he
practiced alone. Then the firm of Thompson
and Shumway was established, and in 1S96,
that of Thompson, Shumway and Wasson.
Judge Thompson remained a member of this
firm until June, 1897, when he was elected
Judge in the Ninth Judicial Circuit of Illinois,
comprising the counties of Knox, Warren,
Henderson, Hancock, McDouough, and Fulton.

Judge Thompson has never been an office-
seeker. He has held but few offices. He was
elected Alderman of the First Ward of the City
of Galesburg in 1880, and held the office until
1884. He is a member of several societies and
has filled important positions therein. He is
a member of the Masonic Order, Oddfellows,
and Knights of Pythias. He joined the Alpha
Lodge of Masons in 1877, and was an officer
continuously therein from 1878 to 1898. He was
Worshipful Master four terms, and Eminent
Commander of Galesburg Commandery the
same length of time.

As a lawyer. Judge Thompson has always
borne a very h''gh reputation. His fame ex-
panded and spread by reason of his intelligent
management of cases at court, and his fair
treatment of witnesses on the stand. He has
always been sought after for his reliability and
fair-mindedness and for his superior knowl-
edge of common and statute law. As a Judge,
he is known for his quickness of decision and
impartiality. He is just in his citations of
points of law, and has earned the respect and
esteem of both counsellor and jury. As a citi-
zen, he is kind and forbearing, and is worthy
of public confidence. He is charitable in
speech and act is helpful in all needed re-
forms and improvements, and never withholds
a helping hand from the needy and suffering.

Judge Thompson is broad and liberal in his
religious views. He belongs to no church, but
is a regular attendant at the Baptist Church,
of which his wife is a member. He is a strong
republican, and has been identified with that
party from the time he was old enough to cast
his first vote.

He was married September 12, 1884, to Hettie
Linsley, who was born at Galva, Henry Coun-
ty, Illinois. She is a graduate of Knox College,



and was Librarian in the Galesburg Public
Library five years prior to her marriage. Her
father, James H. Linsley, up to 1899, was Road
Master of the Chicago, Burlington and Qulncy
Railroad. With this road, he was connected
for forty-six years.

Judge and Mrs. Thompson are the parents of
three children: Alma C, Ruth L., and Wal-
lace L.

FRAXK DAVID THOMSON.

Frank David Thomson, Principal of the
Galesburg High School, was born one half mile
west of the Lapham bridge in Truro Township,
Knox County, March 6, 1864. His parents
were Presson Wheeler and Mary S. (Lapham)
Thomson. They came to Illinois in 1851, soon
after their marriage, and settled in Truro
Township, where Mr. Thomson bought a saw-
mill on Spoon River in 1853. He also worked
a farm; and when in the later sixties the saw-
mill was burned, he gave his entire attention
to farming. Mr. Thomson was born in Ohio;
his family were of New England stock. One
brother, David Thomson, was a general in the
Civil War. Presson Thomson was gifted with
a genius for inventing; he was greatly inter-
ested in all mechanical devices, was original in
his ideas and, in his inventions, was far ahead
of his time. Thus he invented a cultivator, a
sulky and gang plow, a road scraper, a three-
horse evener, a corn-planter and checkrow
with original features which are highly com-
mended. He is also endowed with a talent for
music, and plays the violin. This musical abil-
ity has been inherited in a remarkable degree
by his five sons. Mr. Thomson served for sev-
eral terms as Supervisor from Truro Township.
Mrs. Thomson has always been entirely de-
voted to her family; she is a woman of rare
judgment and strong personality. Mrs. Thom-
son's ambition has been to see her sons well
educated, and respected men. Her father,
Augustus Lapham, was of Welsh and English
parentage. He was born in Rhode Island in
1806, settled in Marion County, Ohio, and then
came to Illinois in 1851. He was the first Su-
pervisor for Truro Township after Knox Coun-
ty adopted township organization. He had
three brothers, who, like himself, were teach-
ers; two of them had attended Yale University.

In 1874, the Thomsons removed to Canton,
Illinois, and in the following year to Yates
City, where they now live. Frank D. Thomson
spent his boyhood upon the farm. He lived an
active, out-door life, and enjoyed nothing better
than a ramble in company with his dog, or a
boat-ride on the Spoon. Like his father he, too,
is clever and ingenious in mechanical construc-
tion. His mother's ambition, also, had taken
possession of "lis mind, and he was early con-
scious of the desire "to be somebody" — as he
often heard his mother express it.

When a boy he attended the district school
in Truro Township, the public schools in Can-
ton and Yates City. During his High School
course in the last named place, he studied un-
der the prlncipalshlp of Mr. W. L. Steele, now




d-u^L^ (Ua^uL. y/^



^^cM Jh



K K X C O V K T Y,



Superintendent of the Galesburg public scliools.
With the assistance of his brother, Leroy,
Mr. Thomson was enabled to attend Knox
College, receiving from that institution the de-
gree of A. B. in 1S92, and that of A. M. iu 1S95.
When the latter degree was conferred, Mr.
Thomson delivered, at the invitation of the col-
lege, the Maste.-'s Oration. During his college
course he united with the Christian Ciuirch at
Galesburg. By the advice and with the ma-
terial assistance of Mr. Albert J. Perry and
Superintendent Steele, Mr. Thomson spent two
years, 1S92-4, in Baltimore at the John Hopkins
University, making a special study of history,
political science, economics, and sociology.
While fortunate in having had the assistance
of willing friends, Mr. Ihomson. after all, owes
the attainment of his education and his suc-
cessful career largely to his own industry and
pluck, for he belongs to that interesting group
of young men who have a mind to help them-
selves and the spirit to work their way. Ap-
preciating the conditions of his own advance,
it has been his pleasure to assist in his turn
the brothers who have followed in his steps.
Mr. Thomson's professional success has been
rapid. He had charge of the village school at
Douglas for three years; of the Yates City
High School for two years, 1889-91. although
he gained his first experience in teaching, as
"Master" in the district school at Arkansas
Corners, Truro Township, several years before.
During the school year 1894-5, he was Principal
of the Sumner School in Peoria, and then was
called to the Principalship of the Galesburg
High School, a position which he has held ever
since.

On his coming to Galesburg the "elective sys-
tem" was introduced into the High School and
his work, together with that of an efficient
corps of assistants, has been to show that this
system can be effectively oppratel in ,i Hi-
School. His idea iu education has been that
the school should be of the greatest service to
the greatest number, and that the "elective
system," when properly handled, produces that
result by adapting the school more easily to
the needs of individuals who need the most
help. Owing largely to the success of this plan
the school has increased in number from 214 in
1S0.T to 49.5 in 1S99. Mr. Thomson has been
siKCPssful as an instructor and as an executive,
nn.l by both teachers and pupils is held In high
esteem. For a number of years he has been
employed as a teacher in summer institutes.
He takes a just pride in the spirit of the insti-
tution in which he works.

JOSEPH TONFLLO.

.Toseph Tonello. parlor of Saint Patrick's
Church, Galesb.Tg, commands the eminent re-
spect of all who know him as a priest and as
a citizen. He was born in Turin. Italy. March
Ifi. 1851. His parents were Michael and Laura
Giueia Tonello. His father carried on the busi-
ness of a contractor. Roth parents were lovers
"f art and were especially proficient in music.
They were exemplary Catholics, and it is told



of Laura Tonello that she was able to repeat
in both Itauau and Latin all the Psalms, a
great part of tlie Book of Job, the whole of
Ruth, the four Gosnels, and some of the Epis-
tles of Saint Paul, besides other portions of the
sacred writings. Of the earlier ancestry, the
majority had followed a military career; both
grandfathers served under Napoleon 1., and
one participated in the fateful campaign
against Russia. Besides the soldiers, however,
this family had produced several magistrates
and artists, one of whom. La Tonello, was a fa-
mous soprano in her time. One of his relatives
was the well known Italian diplomat, Michael
Tonello, who was commissioned by the Italian
Government to negotiate with Pope Pius IX.
for the unity of Italy.

The childhood of Joseph Tonello was spent
for the most part at home, during the winters
in town, during the summers among the .\lps
of Switzerland and Northern Italy. His asso-
ciation was with artists and with those of
artistic tastes. His own favorite recreation,
even as a boy, were drawing and music. Be-
fore the time came for military service, he at-
tended the Gymnastic and Military School for
seven years. His school training began with
the Society of Christian Brothers, at the age
of six. At nine he entered the public gym-
nasium at Turin, and after completing the five
years' course required in that institution, was
admitted to the Lyceum, or College. He later
became a student in the University of Turin,
where he specialized in mathematics and archi-
tecture. Following his course in the univer-
sity, he traveled ant' studied in Switzerland, ap-
plying himself now more directly to the
classics, to philosophy and modern languages.
He finally became a student of theology and a
member of the Order of Charity. In 1878,
Father Tonello was ordained a priest and set-
tled at Domodossola. In 1879, he was made
Vice Rector in the college at that place, teach-
ing various branches until his departure for
this country in 1892. Upon his arrival In
America, Father Tonello was employed for a
time in missionary work among the poor min-
ers; but in October, 1893. he was appointed to
the charge of Saint Patrick's, where he has
since remained.

In musical circles. Father Tonello fills a con-
spiciious place. Some of his artist friends of
early days, now famous in their profession,
have been brought to Galesburg because of his
presence in that city. He is himself a musician
of acknowledged talent, and among his nu-
merous compositions, one in partic\ilar, "Cuba's
Dream." has achieved widespread fame.

JOHN JAMES TIXMCMFF.

Hon. John Jama's Tunnicliff, lawver, son of
Nelson and Mary (Smith) Tunnicliff. was born
in Penn Yan. Yates County, New York, March
17. 1841. His father was a merchant and son
of John Tunnicliff, who was one of the early
settlers of Herkimer County, New York.

The educational advantages of Mr. Tunnicliff
were of the better kind. After receiving the



KNOX COUNTY.



rudiments of his education in tlie public schools
of his native town, he was placed under com-
petent instructors and fitted for a more ' ad-
vanced course of study. He entered Hamilton
College, located at Clinton, Oneida County, New
York, and graduated with high honors in 1S63.
Immediately after graduation, he took a course
in the Albany Law School and was admitted
at the Bar in 1864. He then came West and
entered the office of Judge D. G. Tunnlcliff at
Macomb, Illinois, where he remained until he
came to Galesburg in September, 1865. His
first partnership here, in the practice of law,
was with the late Thomas G. Frost, one of the
leading lawyers of the State, under the firm
name of Frost and Tunnlcliff. This partner-
ship continued until 1871, when it was dis-
solved by the removal of Mr. Frost to Chicago.
This firm had a large and extensive practice
in the counties of Knox, Warren, Henry, Mer-
cer, and Henderson, and also had many cases in
the Supreme Court of Illinois and some cases in
the United States Court

Mr. Tunnlcliff has been called to positions of
honor and trust, which is an evidence of the
confidence of the people in his ability and in-
tegrity. At the general election in 1872, he was
elected State's Attorney for Knox County, and
was re-elected five successive times, holding
the office until 1892, a period of twenty years,
and then declined a re-election. He was elected
Mayor of the City of Galesburg in April, 1895,
and held tht office until 1897.

Mr. Tunnlcliff ranks high as a lawyer, and
when he was State's Attorney, he prosecuted
several criminal cases of national notoriety. He
prosecuted John Marion Osborn for murder,
who was hanged at Knoxville, March 14, 1873,
— being the Jirst and only criminal suffering
capital punishment in Knox County. He also
prosecuted the notorious "Frank Rand,"
known as the "Bandit of the Wabash," who
was sentenced to the penitentiary at Joliet
for life, where he tried to murder the Deputy
Warden and afterwards hung himself in his
cell.

Mr. Tunnlcliff holds no official position at
present. He is engaged in the practice of law
—the firm name being J. J. and G. Tunnlcliff.

As a citizen, he has lived a life above re-
proach. He is esteemed as a man of stern in-
tegrity, consistent in his views, wise and dis-
creet in judgment. He is affable towards all,
and with friends, frank and familiar, without
the appearance of affectation. In religious
faith, he is Presbyterian. His political creed is
republican.

Mr. Tunnlcliff has been twice mai»>-ied. He
was first wedded July 4, 1866, to Catherine
Ludlow Burrows, who was born at Avondale,
Ohio; died April, 1871. By this union, one son
was born to them: Fredrick B.

He was married a second time January 23,
1873, at Saginaw. Michigan, to Margaretta
Willoughby Duffleld. daughter of Rev. George
Duffield, D. D., late of Detroit. Michigan. To
them were born three children: George Duf-
field, Augusta Willoughby, an^ John J., Jr.



JOH> BOWEN VIVIOiN, M. D.

John Bowen Viviou, M. D., son of Hervey and
Mildred (Ryon) 'Vivion, was born in Clark
County, Kentucky, October 23, 1810. At eight
years of age, his father's family moved to War-
ren County, Kentucky, where they remainefi
for six years. Then they moved to Howard
County, Missouri, where they lived until the
father's death at the age of seventy-nine. The
mother afterwards resided in Clinton County,
Missouri, with her oldest son, James, and died
at the advanced age of ninety-five years and
four months.

The parents of Dr. Vivion were natives of
Virginia, being raised on farms about forty
miles from Alexandria. They moved to Clark
County, Kentucky, into a region called the
"Canebrakes, ' at a very early day, when the
county was almost an unbroken wilderness.
They were firm believers in the Christian re-
ligion, and were members of the Baptist
Church, until that church in Missouri separated
into two divisions. Then they joined the Re-
formed Christian Church, remaining in that
faith until their deaths.

During this time, the father was the owner
of ten or fifteen slaves, which were held in
accordance with the institution and laws of the
State in which he lived. He was ever regarded
as a good citizen and a thrifty farmer. He was
always charitable to the poor. The benevolent
traits of his character are illustrated by the
following incident: In 1822. the scarcity of
corn caused great suffering among the poor.
He refused to sell at the high price of a dol-
lar a bushel, saying that what he could spare
should be given to the poor.

Dr. Vivion's opportunities for education were
meager, but he availed himself of all the ad-
vantages that the country schools afforded, un-
til he was eighteen years of age. For two or
three years, he was a teacher; but his inten-
tion of making medicine the professional busi-
ness of his life never forsook him. During
his spare hours, when teaching, he studied
those branches which belong to that profession.
At the age of twenty-two. at Huntsville, Mis-
souri, he commenced the study of medicine, and
for a year and a half, was under the tuition
and instruction of two most excellent teachers
— Doctors Head and Rutherford. He then went
to Winchester, Kentucky, and for the same
length of time, studied with Doctors Frasier
and Vivion. During all these years, he was en-
gaged in practice as a student, under the di-
rection of his preceptors. Afterwards he at-
tended courses of lectures in the Medical De-
partment of the Transylvania University at
Lexington, Kentucky, and May 1, 1836, settled
as a physician in Dover. Missouri, — a profes-
sion which he has followed assiduously for
sixty-three years.

Dr. Vivion's first thirty years of practice was
in accordance with the rules of the allopathic
system, but in 1866, he changed to the homeo-
pathic system, being convinced of its superior-
ity. To practice the latfer system, he received




7ir^.(fi^^



K X X C U N T Y.



757



a diploma from the Hahnemann Medical Col-
lege and Hospital.

In ISol, Dr. V'ivion moved from Dover to
Wavei:l.v, Missouri, and in 1S53, he purchased a
farm two miles from Dover, on which he lived
seven years, practicing his profession in the
meantime. In 1860, he disposed of his farm
and moved to College Mound near Macon City,
Missouri. In 1865, he moved to Ursa, Illinois,
a few miles north of Quincy, and in 1868, he
came to Galesburg, where he has been an hon-
ored resident ever since.

In 1840, Dr. Vivion was elected to the Legis-
lature on the whig ticket, being the first suc-
cessful candidate of that ticket in Lafayette
County, Missouri. He did not seek the ofiice,
but the office sought him. He never has been
an aspirant for political honors. After becom-
ing a resident of Galesburg, he served as Health
Commissioner for several years; was City
Health Officer for two years; held the office
of City Physician about five years. At a meet-
ing of the State Medical Society, he was elected
President pro tem., and by the same body, he
was elected permanent President, but resigned
in favor of a younger man.

In politics. Dr. Vivion was a whig until the
whig party was disorganized in 1836. He then
became affiliatea with the democratic party, al-
though not strongly a party man.

In religion, he is a member of the Christian
Church, having connected himself with that
church at Dover, Missouri. In the same year,
1843, he was elected Elder and ordained, and
has filled that office ever since. After' coming
to Galesburg, he made his church home tem-
porarily with the Baptists, until in 1871. a small
number of similar faith held meetings in a hall
over the Second National Bank. During the
Winter of the same year, services were con-
tinued in the Doctor's office in the Matthews
Block. The sacrament was administered every
Lord's day, and the weekly meetings were con-
ducted with great regularity.

In the following Spring, the hall over L. B.
Miller's music store on the Soi'.are was occu-
pied, and there services were continued until a
church organization was effected in February,
1872, with twenty members. Dr. Vivion filled,
without compensation, the place of minister in
this church nearly half the time from its or-
ganization until 1890. Since then a regular
pastor has been employed. The number of
church members in 1898 was two hundred and
twenty.

Dr. Vivion is possessed of a deeply religious
nature. His correct tastes and habits are large-
ly due to the religious training of his parents,
who required him to take the New Testament
to school and read it every day. In all his long
life, he never saw a moment when he doubted
the truth of the Christian religion. Even when
a boy of sixteen, he saved a sufficient amount
to purchase Buck's Theological Dictionary, the
price paid being two dollars. He made good
use of his opportunities, and his wisely chosen
profession afforded an ample field for exercise
of his powers.



Although having passed the period of life set
by the psalmist, he still enjoys good health and
is practicing his profession, and fills his place
at church regularly.

He was united in marriage to Maria .lane
Atkinson, an only child, September 26, 1836.
Her family was of the Presbyterian faith, but
she joined the Christian Church at the same
time her husband joined. She was a kind and
faithful wife, ever ministering to the wants of
her family. She died August 24, 1887. liight
children were born to them, four of whom died
in infancy. The names of the others are
Sarah Ann Mildred, born June 15, 1839, married
to T. L. Gorham; Robert, born November 10,
1848, died February 5, 1866; John G., born July
18, 1853; Eaward L., born November 22, 1857.

A second marriage to Lucy Neely was con-
tracted May 16, 1888.

WELLINGTON AV. WASHltl'RX.

Wellington \V. Washburn was born in Akrou,
Ohio, September IS, 1836. His father was
Leander Washburn, whose occupation was that
of a carpenter and builder. He was born in
Kingston, Massachusetts, December 9, 1811, and
died in Galesburg in 1881. His boyhood was
spent in his father's family, almost in sight
of Plymouth Rock. His father, with his family,
moved to Troy, New York, when Leander was
about twenty years of age. After living there
about a year, they went West, settling in Akron,
Ohio.

Wellington's mother was Eliza Upson, who
was born in .almadge. Summit County, Ohio,
January 21. 1813, and died in Oakland, Califor-
nia, in 1893.

1 he "Wasnburn family," without doubt, are
of English descent, as the name indicates; al-
though tradition says that they came into Eng-
land with William the Conqueror, and one of
them was knighted by him, on the battlefield,
for meritorious service. In Worcester and
Gloucester counties, England, there are two
villages known by the name of Great Wash-
burn and Little Washburn, where the family
have lived for many generations.

The "Washburn family" in America not only
is numerous, but contains many distinguished
men. John Washburn came to Duxbury. Massa-
chusetts, about 1628-32. His wife Margerie
came with her two sons, John and Phillip, in
1635. He is said to have been the first secre-
tary of the Plymouth Colony Company in
London in 1628-9.

John, who belonged to the second generation
in the line, married Elizabeth Mitchell, whose
mother was Jane Cooke, daughter of Francis
Cooke, who came over in the Mayflower in
1620. He was one of the signers of the "Com-
pact" on the deck of the vessel before landing.

The third gpneration contains the names of
Joseph and Hannah, who married a Mr.
Latham. In the fourth generation, we again
find the name John with Mehitable or Lydia.
In the fifth, is Jabez. who was born in 1708,
and Judith, who married a Mr. Faunce. In
the sixth generation is to be found Jabez and



758



KNOX C U N T Y.



Mary, who married a Mr. Sherman. The sev-
enth generation contains the names of Abiel
and Rebecca (Adams) Washburn, the grand-
parents of Wellington W. Thus it appears that
Wellington W. belongs to the eighth generation
from John Washburn, who settled in Duxbury
about 1631-2.

Wellington W. Washburn belongs to the class
of self-made men. He had the care of loving
parents and attended the public schools of his
native town. For a time, he pursued a course
in the High School under the Principalship of
General Leggett, a noted teacher. On May 3,
1852, when only sixteen years of age, he left
the High School and entered a jeweler's store
to learn the watchmakers' and jewelers' trade.
He was under the instruction of H. S. Abbey,
one of the leading jewelers of Akron. Here
he remained until 1859, when he came to Gales-
burg, Illinois. His capital was his ability and
the few tools that he brought with him. His
first co-partnership was with J. K. Armstrong,
from 1867 to 1872, under the firm name of
Washburn and Armstrong. He continued in
the jewelry business until April, 1875, when
he sold out to E. W. Trask, of Aurora, Illinois,
who continued it under the firm name of Trask
and Gentry.

In 1877, he was elected cashier in the Second
National Bank of Galesburg. remaining there
until after the death of the President. David



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 158 of 207)