Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 16 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 16 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Senate, and, on Feb. 6, 1888, he became Lieuten-
ant-Governor upon the accession of Lieutenant-
Governor Hamilton to the executive office to
succeed Shelby M. Cullom, who had been elected
United States Senator. In 1888 he represented
the First Illinois District in the National Repub-
lican Convention, and was the same year chosen
a meinber of the Republican National Committee
for Illinois and was re-elected in 1882. Died in
Chicago, March 4, 1896. For several years
immediately preceding his death, Mr. Campbell
was the chief attorney of the Armour Packing
Company of Chicago.

CAMP POINT, a town in Adams County, at
the intersection of the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy and the Wabash Railroads. 31 miles east-
northeast of Quincy. Grain is extensively grown
in tlie surrounding country, and the town has
two large flouring mills. It also contains a bank,
four churches, a high school and two newspaper
oflSces. Population (1880), 1,131; (1890), 1,1.50.

CANAL SCRIP FRAUD. During the session
of the Illinois General Assembly of 18.59, Gen.
Jacob Fry, who, as Commissioner or Trustee, had
been associated with the construction of the



Illinois & Michigan Canal from 1837 to 1845,
had his attention called to a check purporting to
have been issued by the Commissioners in 1839,
which, upon investigation, he became convinced
was counterfeit, or had been fraudulently issued.
Having communicated his conclusions to Hon.
Jesse K. Dubois, the State Auditor, in charge of
the work of refunding tlie State indebtedness, an
inquiry was instituted in the office of the Fund
Commissioner — a position attached to the Gov-
ernor's oflBce, but in the charge of a secretary —
which developed the fact that a large amount of
these evidences of indebtedness had been taken
up through that office and bonds issued therefor
by the State Auditor under the laws for funding
the State debt. A subsequent inve.stigation by the
Finance Committee of the State Senate, ordered
by vote of that body, resulted in the discovery
that, in May and August, 1839, two series of
canal "scrip" (or checks) had been issued by the
Canal Board, to meet temporary demands in the
work of construction — the sum aggregating
§269,059— of which all but .S3 16 had been redeemed
within a few years at the Chicago branch of the
Illinois State Bank. The bank officers testified
that this scrip (or a large part of it) had, after
redemption, been held by them in the bank vaults
without cancellation until settlement was had
with the Canal Board, when it was packed in
boxes and turned over to the Board. After hav-
ing lain in the canal office for several years in
this condition, and a new "Trustee" (as the
officer in charge was now called) having come
into the canal office in 1853, this scrip, with other
papers, was repacked in a .shoe-box and a trunk
and placed in charge of Joel A. Matteson, then
Governor, to be taken by him *^o Springfield and
deposited there. Notliing further was knowTi of
these papers until October, 1854, when S300 of the
scrip was presented to the Secretary of the Fund
Commissioner by a Springfield banker, and bond
issued thereon. This was followed in 185G and
1857 by larger sums, until, at the time the legis-
lative investigation was instituted, it was found
that bonds to the amount of §223,182.66 had been
issued on account of principal and interest.
With the exception of the .§300 first presented, it
was shown that all the scrip so funded had been
presented by Governor Matteson, either while in
office or subsequent to his retirement, and the
bonds issued therefor delivered to him — although
none of the persons in whose names the issue was
made were known or ever afterward discovered.
Tlie developments made by the Senate Finance
Committee led to an offer from Matteson to



78



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



inilemnify the State, in which he stated that he
had "unconsciously and innocently been made
the instrument through whom a gross fraud upon
the State had been attempted." He therefore
gave to the State mortgages and an indemnifying
bond for the sum shown to have been funded by
him of this class of indebtedness, upon which the
State, on foreclosure a few years later, secured
judgment for .?3o5,000, although the property on
being sold realized only §238,000. A further
investigation by the Legislature, in 1861, revealed
the fact that additional issues of bonds for similar
scrip had been made amounting to 8165,346, for
which the State never received any compensa-
tion. A search through the State House for the
trunk and box placed in the hands of Governor
Matteson in 1853, while the official investigation
was in progress, resulted in the discovery of the
trunk in a condition showing it had been opened,
but the box was never found. The fraud was
made the subject of a protracted investigation
by the Grand Jury of Sangamon County in May,
1859, and, although the jury twice voted to indict
Governor Matteson for larceny, it as often voted
to reconsider, and, on a tliird ballot, voted to
"ignore the bill."

CANBY, Richard Spring, jurist, was born in
Green County, Ohio, Sept. 30, 1808 ; was educated
at Miami University and admitted to the bar,
afterwards serving as Prosecuting Attorney,
member of the Legislature and one term (1847-49)
in Congress. In 1863 he removed to Illinois,
locating at Olney, was elected Judge of the
Twenty-fifth Judicial Circuit in 1867, resuming
practice at the expiration of his term in 1873.
Died in Richland County, July 27, 1895. Judge
Canby was a relative of Gen. Edward Richard
Spriggs Canby, who was treacherously killed by
the Modocs in California in 1873.

CANNON, Joseph G., Congressman, was born
at Guilford, N. C, May 7, 1836, and removed to
Illinois in early youth, locating at Danville, Ver-
milion County. By profession he is a lawyer,
and served as State's Attorney of Vermilion
County for two terms (1861-68). Incidentally,
he is conducting a large banking business at
Danville. In 1873 he was elected as a Republican
to the Forty-third Congress for the Fifteenth Dis-
trict, and has been re-elected biennially ever
since, except in 1890, when he was defeated for
the Fifty-second Congress by Samuel T. Busey,
his Democratic opponent. He is now (1898)
serving his twelfth term as the Representative
for the Twelfth Congressional District, and has
been re-elected for a thirteenth term in the Fifty-



sixth Congress (1899-1901). Mr. Cannon has been
an influential factor in State and National poli-
tics, as shown by the fact that he has been Chair-
man of the House Committee on Appropriations
during the important sessions of the Fifty -fourth
and Fifty-fifth Congresses.

CANTON, a flourishing city in Fulton County,
13 miles from the Illinois River, and 28 miles
southwest of Peoria. It is the commercial
metropolis of one of the largest and richest
counties in the "corn belt"; also has abundant
supplies of timber and clay for manufacturing
purposes. There are coal mines within the
municipal limits, and variovis manufacturing
establishments. Among the principal outputs
are agricultural implements, flour, brick and tile,
cigars, cigar-boxes, foundry and machine-shop
products, firearms, brooms, and marble. The
city is lighted by both gas and electricity, has a
public library and high school, and three news-
paper establishments, two of which publish daily
editions. Population (1880), 3,762; (1890), 5,604.
CAPPS, Jabez, pioneer, was born in London,
England, Sept. 9, 1796 ; came to the United States
in 1817, and to Sangamon County, 111., in 1819.
For a time he taught school in what is now
called Round Prairie, in the present County of
Sangamon, and later in Calhoun (the original
name of a part of the city of Springfield), having
among his pupils a number of those who after-
wards became prominent citizens of Central
Illinois. In 1836, in conjunction with twe part-
ners, he laid out the town of Mount Pulaski, the
original county-seat of Logan County, where he
continued to live for the remainder of his life,
and where, during its later period, he served as
Postmaster some fifteen years. He also served as
Recorder of Logan County four years. Died,
April 1, 1896, in the 100th year of his age.

CARBONDALE, a city in Jackson County,
founded in 1853, 57 miles nortli of Cairo, and 91
miles from St. Louis. Three lines of railway
center here. The chief industries are coal-min-
ing, farming, stock-raising, fruit-growing and
lumbering. It has seven or eight churches, two
weekly papers, and five public schools, and is the
seat of the Southern Illinois Normal University.
Population (1880), 2,213; (1890), 2,383.

CARBONDALE & SHAWNEETOWN RAIL-
ROAD, a short line H'/f' miles in length, ex-
tending from Marion to Carbondale, and operated
by the St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Railroad
Company, as lessee. It was incorporated as the
Murphysboro & Shawneetown Railroad in 1867;
its name changed in 1869 to The Carbondale &



HISTOKIL'AL KNcVt LOl'EDlA VI- ILLINOIS.



Sliawneetowii, was opened for business, Dec. 31,
1S71, and leased in 1886 for 980 yeai-s to the St.
Louis Southern, tlirough whicli it passed into the
hands of the St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Rail-
road, and by lease from the latter, in 1896, became
apart of the Illinois Central Sj-stem (which see).

CAREY, William, lawj-er, was born in the town
of Turner, Maine. Dec. 29, 1826 ; studied law with
General Fessenden and at Yale Law School, was
admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of
Maine in 1836, the Supreme Court of Illinois iu
1857, and the Supreme Court of the United
States, on motion of Hon. L}-man Trumbull, in
1873. Judge Carey was a member of the State
Constitutional Convention of 1869-70 from Jo
Daviess County, and the choice of the Republicans
in that body for temporary presiding officer;
was elected to the next General Assembly (the
Twenty-seventh), serving as Chairman of the
House Judiciary Committee through its four ses-
sions; from 1873 to 1876 was United States Dis-
trict Attorney for Utah, still later occupying
various offices at Deadwood, Dakota, and in Reno
County, Kan. Tlie first office held by Judge
Carej' in Illinois (that of Superintendent of
Schools for the city of Galena) was conferred
upon him tlirough the influence of John A. Raw-
lins, afterwards General Grant's cliief-of-staff
during the war, and later Secretary of War —
although at the time Mr. Rawlins and he were
politically opposed. Mr. Carey's present resi-
dence is in Chicago.

CARLIN, Thomas, former Governor, was born
of Irish ancestry in Fayette County, Ky., July
18, 1789; emigrated to Illinois in 1811, and served
as a private in the War of 1812, and as a Captain
iu the Black Hawk War. While not highly edu-
cated, he was a man of strong common sense,
high moral standard, great firmness of character
and unfailing courage. In 1818 he settled in
( rreene County, of which he was the first Sheriff ;
was twice elected State Senator, and was Regis-
ter of the Land Office at Quincy, when he was
elected Governor on the Democratic ticket in
1838. An uncompromising partisan, he never-
theless commanded the respect and good-will of
his political opponents. Died at his home in
Carrolltou, Feb. 14, 18.'52.

CARLIN, William Passmore, soldier, son of
Gov. Thomas Carlin, was born at Rich Woods,
Greene County, 111., Nov. 24, 1829. At the age
of 21 he graduated from the United States Mili-
tary Academy at West Point, and, in 185.'j, was
attached to the Sixth United States Infantry as
Lieutenant. After several years spent in Indian



fighting, he was ordered to California, where he
was promoted to a captaincy and assigned to
recruiting duty. On August 15, 1861, he was
commissioned Colonel of the Tliirty-eighth Illi-
nois Volunteers. His record during the war was
an exceptionally brilliant one. He defeated Gen.
Jeff. Thompson at Fredericktown, Mo., Oct. 21,
1861 ; commanded the District of Southeast Mis-
souri for eighteen niontlis ; led a brigade under
Slocum in the Arkansas campaign; served with
marked distinction in Kentucky and Mississippi ;
took a prominent part in the battle of Stone
River, was engaged in the Tullahoma campaign,
at Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain and Mission-
ary Ridge, and, on Feb. 8, 1864, was commis-
sioned Major in the Sixteenth Infantry. He also
took part in the Georgia campaign, aiding in the
capture of Atlanta, and marching with Sherman
to the sea. For gallant service in the assault at
Jonesboro, Tenn., Sept. 1, 1864, he was made
Colonel in the regular army, and, on March 13,
1865, was brevetted Brigadier-General for meritori-
ous service at Bentonville, N. C, and Major-
General for services during the war. Colonel
Carlin was retired with the rank of Brigadier-
General in 1893. His home is at Carrollton.

CARLINVILLE, the countj'-seat of Macoupin
County; a city and railroad junction, 57 miles
northeast of St. Louis, and 38 miles southwest of
Springfield. Blackburn University (which see)
is located here. Three coal mines are operated,
and there are brick works, tile works and flouring
mills. Three newspapers are published here, two
issuing daily editions. Population (1880), 3,117;
(1890), 3,293; (1898) estimated, 4,500.

CARLYLE, the county-seat of Clinton Covmty,
48 miles east of St. Louis, located on the Kaskas-
kia River and the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern
Railroad. The town has churches and schools
adapted to its wants, and some manufactures.
It has a flourishing seminary for j-oung ladies,
three weekly papers, and a public library of some
5,000 volumes. Population (1880), 2,017; (1890),
1,784.

CARMI, the county-seat of White County, on
the Little Wabash River, 124 miles east of St.
Louis and 38 west of Evansville, Ind. The sur-
rounding country is fertile, yielding both cereals
and fruit. Flouring mills and lumber manufac-
turing, including the making of staves, are the
chief industries, though the city has brick ami
tile works, a plow factory and foundry. Popula-
tion (1880), 2,512; (1890), 2,785.

CARPENTER, Milton, legislator and State
Treasurer; entered upon public life in Illinois as



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Representative in the Ninth General Assembly
(1834) from Hamilton County, serving by succes-
sive re-elections in the Tenth, Eleventh and
Twelfth. While a member of the latter (1841)
he was elected by the Legislature to the office of
State Treasurer, retaining this position until the
adoption of the Constitution of 1848, when he was
chosen his own successor by popular vote, bvit
died a few days after the election in August,
1848. He was buried in what is now known as
the "Old Hutchinson Cemetery" — a burying
ground in the west part of the city of Springfield,
long since abandoned — where his remains still lie
(1897) in a grave unmarked by a tombstone.

CARPENTER, Philo, pioneer and early drug-
gist, was born of Puritan and Revolutionary
ancestry in the town of Savoy, Mass., Feb. 27,
1805 ; engaged as a druggist's clerk at Troy, N. Y. ,
in 1838, and came to Chicago in 1832, where he
established himself in the drug business, which
was later extended into other lines. Soon after
his arrival, he began investing in lands, which
have since become immensely valuable. Mr.
Carpenter was associated with the late Rev.
Jeremiah Porter in the organization of the First
Presbyterian Church of Chicago, but, in 1851,
withdrew on account of dissatisfaction with the
attitude of some of the representatives of that
denomination on the subject of slavery, identify-
ing himself with the Congregationalist Church,
in which he had been reared. He was one of the
original founders and most liberal benefactors of
the Chicago Theological Seminary, to which he
gave in contributions, during liis life-time, or in
bequests after his death, sums aggregating not
far from $100,000. One of the Seminary build-
ings was named in his honor, "Carpenter Hall."
He was identified witli various other organiza-
tions, one of the most important being the Relief
and Aid Society, which did such usefvil work
after the fire of 1871. By a life of probity, liber-
ality and benevolence, he won the respect of all
classes, dying. August 7, 1886.

CARPENTER, (Mrs.) Sarah L. Warren, pio-
neer teacher, born in Fredonia, N. Y. , Sept. 1,
1813; at the age of 13 she began teaching at State
Line, N. Y. ; in 1833 removed with her parents
(Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Warren) to Chicago, and
soon after began teaching in what was called the
"Yankee settlement," now the town of Lockport,
Will County. She came to Chicago the following
year (1834) to take the place of assistant of Gran-
ville T. Sproat in a school for boys, and is said to
have been the first teacher paid out of the public
funds in Chicago, though Miss Eliza Chappell



(afterwards Mrs. Jeremiah Porter) began teach-
ing the children about Fort Dearborn in 1833.
Miss Warren married Abel E. Carpenter, whom
she survived, dying at Aurora, Kane County,
Jan. 10, 1897.

CARPENTERSVILLE, a village of Kane
County, on the Lake Geneva branch of the Chi-
cago & Northwestern Railroad, 7 miles north
of East Elgin and about 48 miles from Chicago.
Population (1890), 754.

CARR, Clark E., lawyer, politician and diplo-
mat, was born at Boston, Erie County, N. Y.,
May 20, 1836 ; at 13 years of age accompanied his
father's family to Galesburg, 111. , where he spent
several years at Knox College. In 1857 he gradu-
ated frona the Albany Law School, but on return-
ing to Illinois, soon embarked in politics, his
affiliations being uniformly with the Republican
party. His first office was that of Postmaster at
Galesburg, to which he was appointed by Presi-
dent Lincoln in 1861 and which he held for
twenty-four years. He was a tried and valued
assistant of Governor Yates during the War of
the Rebellion, serving on the staff of the latter
with the rank of Colonel. He was a delegate to
the National Convention of his party at Baltimore
in 1864, which renominated Lincoln, and took an
active part in the campaigns of that year, as well
as those of 1868 and 1873. In 1869 he purchased
"The Galesburg Republican," which he edited
and publislied for two years. In 1880 he was an
unsuccessful candidate for the Republican nomi-
nation for Governor ; in 1884 was a delegate to the
Republican National Convention, from the State-
at-large, and, in 1887, a candidate for the caucus
nomination for United States Senator, which was
given to Charles B. Farwell. In 1888 he was
defeated in the Republican State Convention as
candidate for Governor by Joseph W. Fifer. In
1889 President Harrison appointed him Minister
to Denmark, which post he filled with marked
ability and credit to tlie country until his resig-
nation was accepted bj' President Cleveland,
when he returned to his former home at Gales-
burg. While in Denmark lie did much to
promote American trade with that country,
especially in the introduction of American corn
as an article of food, which has led to a large
increase in the annual exportation of this com-
modity to Scandinavian markets.

CARR, Eugene A., soldier, was born in Erie
County, N. Y., May 20, 1830, and graduated at
West Point in 1850, entering the Mounted Rifles.
Until 1861 he was stationed in the Far West, and
engaged in Indian fighting, earning a First Lieu-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



81



tenancy through his gallantry. In 18GI he
entered upon active service under General Lyon,
in Southwest Missouri, taking part in the engage-
ments of Dug Springs and Wilson's Creek,
winning the brevet of Lieutenant-Colonel. In
September, 1861. he was commissioned Colonel of
the Third Illinois Cavalry He served as acting
Brigadier-General in Fremont's hundred-day
expedition, for a time commanding the Fourth
Division of the Army of the Southwest. On the
second day at Pea Ridge, although three times
wounded, he remained on the field seven hours,
and materially aided in securing a victory, for
his braver}' being made Brigadier-General of
Volunteers. In the summer of 1862 he was
promoted to the rank of Major in the Regular
Army. During the Vicksburg campaign he com-
manded a division, leading the attack at Magnolia
Church, at Port Gibson, and at Big Black River,
and winning a brevet Lieutenant-Colonelcy in
the United States Army. He also distinguished
himself for a first and second assault upon taking
Vicksburg. and. in the autumn of 1862, com-
manded the left wing of the Sixteenth Corps at
Corinth. In December of that year he was
transferred to the Department of Arkansas,
where he gained new laurels, being brevetted
Brigadier-General for gallantry at Little Rock,
and Major-General for services during the war.
After the close of the Civil War. he was stationed
chiefly in the West, where he rendered good serv-
ice in the Indian campaigns. In 1894 he was
retired with the rank of Brigadier-General, and
has since resided in New York.

CARRIEL, Henry F., M.D., alienist, was born
at Charlestown, N. H.. and educated at Marlow
Academy, N. H., and Wesleyan Seminary. Vt. ;
graduated from the College of Physicians and
Surgeons, New York City, in 18o7, and immedi-
ately accepted the position of Assistant Physician
in the New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum,
remaining until 1870. Meanwhile, however, he
visited a large number of the leading hospitals
and asylums of Europe. In 18T0, Dr. Carriel
received the appointment of Superintendent of
the Illinois Central Hospital for tlie Insane at
Jacksonville, a position which he continued to
fill imtil 1893. when he voluntarily tendered to
Governor Altgeld his resignation, to take effect
July 1 of that year.— Mrs. Mary Turner (Carriel).
wife of Dr. Carriel, and a daughter of Prof.
Jonathan B. Turner of Jacksonville, was elected
a Trustee of the University of Illinois on the Repub •
lican ticket in 1896, receivinga plurality of 148,0.39
over Julia Holmes Smith, her highest competitor.



CARROLL COUNTY, originally a part of Jo
Daviess County, but set apart and organized in
1839, named for Charles Carroll of Carrollton. The
first settlements were in and around Savanna.
Cherry Grove and Arnold's Grove. The first
County Commissioners were Messrs. L. H. Bor
den, Garner Moff'ett and S. M. Jersey, who held
their first court at Savanna. April 13, 1839. In
1843 the county-seat was changed from Savanna
to Mount Carroll, where it yet remains. Town-
ships were first organized in 18.50, and the
development of the county has steadily pro-
gressed since that date. The surface of the land
is rolling, and at certain points decidedly pictur-
esque. The land is generally good for farming.
It is well timbered, particularly along the Mis-
sissippi. Area of the county, 440 square miles;
population, 18,320 Mount Carroll is a pleasant,
prosperous, wide-awake town, of about 2,000
inhabitants, and noted for its excellent public
and private schools.

CARROLLTON, the county-seat of Greene
Count}', situated on the west branch of the Clii-
oago & Alton Railroad, 33 miles north-northwest
of Alton, and 34 miles south by west from Jack- '
sonville. A foundry, a carriage factory, two
machine shops and two flouring mills are the
chief manufacturing establishments. The town
contains two banks, six churches, a high school,
and two weekly newspaper offices. Population
(1880), 1.934; (1890), 2,2r)8.

CARTER, Joseph N., Justice of the Supreme
Court, was born in Hardin County, Ky., March
12, 1843; came to Illinois in boyhood, and, after
attending school at Tuscola four years, engaged
in teaching until 1863, when he entered Illinois
College, graduating in 1866; in 1868 graduated
from the Law Department of the University of
Jlichigan, the next year establishing himself in
practice at Quincy, where he has since resided.
He was a member of the Thirty-first and Thirty-
second General A.ssemblies (1878-82), and, in
June, 1894, was elected to the seat on the Supreme
Bench, which he now occupies

CARTER, Thomas Henry, United States Sena-
tor, born in Scioto County, Ohio, Oct, 30, 1854;
in his fifth year was brought to Illinois, his
father locating at Pana, where he was educated
in the public schools; was employed in farming,
railroading and teaching several years, then
studied law and was admitted to the bar, and. in
1882, removed to Helena. Mont., where he en-
gaged in practice; was elected, as a Republican,
the last Territorial Delegate to Congress from
Idaho and the first Representative from the new



82



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



State; was Commissioner of the General Land
Office (1891-93), and, in 1895, was elected to the



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 16 of 207)