Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 167 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 167 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


reliable employes of the road. Mr. Swain is a
Catholic. In politics, he is a democrat.

SWAIN. R. F.; Conductor; Galesburg;
born July 28, 1S51, in New York; educated in
Bureau County. Illinois. His parents were
William Swain, of Wicklow County, Ireland,
and Rosa (Barnes) Swain, of Toronto, Canada.
They moved to Canada when R. F. was a year
old; they moved to La Salle County, and
came to Bureau County in 1857. In 1868,
they went to Cherokee County, Kansas,
. where his mother now lives. His father died
May 27, 18S3. Mr. R. F. Swain was married
October 14, 1880, at Galesburg. Illinois, to Kate,
daughter of Alfred and Elizabeth Emerson,
who were early settlers in Knox County.
They have two children. Eulalia F., and Will-
iam A. In 1873. Mr. R. F. Swain returned
to Illinois, and located in Galesburg, and in
1874, entered the employ of the Chicago, Bur-
lington and Quincy Railroad Company as
brakeman. He became conductor in 1876. which
position he holds at the present time. He ha; - ,
passed through several strikes, one of which
was the "Q" strike, but has never had an ac-
cident. Mr. Swain is a republican.

SWANSON. PETER F.; Contractor and
Builder; Galesburg; born in 1866, in Sweden,
where he was educated, .\fter coming to Gales-
burg he worked on a farm for four years, and
then worked as carpenter till 1894; he then en-
tered upon the business of contractor and
builder, which he still follows. In the mean-
time, he took a course in the Galesburg Busi-
ness College. Mr. Swanaon was married to
Anna Neilon November 27. 1895. They have
a handsome home on Whitesboro street.

SWEENEY, MICHAEL X; Engineer; Gales-
burg; born November 20, 1856, in Schuylkill
County, Pennsylvania; his father, Michael
Sweeney, was born in Ireland. He was educated
in the common schools. In politics, he is a
democrat. He married, in Schuylkill County,
Pennsylvania, Noven;ber 20, 1884, Mary A.,
daughter of Patrick Carroll, who came from
Ireland to Pennsylvania. Mr. Sweeney was
employed by the Reading Railroad in 1874, and
came to Galesburg in 1888. where he entered
the service of the Chicago, Burlington and
Quincy Railroad. In 1892, he built a residence
at 461 West Brooks street, Galesburg, where he



now resides. He is a member of the Catholic
Church.

SWIGERT, HARRY L; Dentist; Galesburg;
born July 1, 1871, in Knox County, Illinois,
where he was educated. His parents are I.
W. and Lucinda (Turney) Swigert, of Ohio;
his paternal grandparents were George and
Catharine (Brewer) Swigert, of Franklin
County, Pennsylvania; his maternal grand-
father was Philip Turney. Dr. Swigerfs par-
ents were early settlers in Knox County, and
lived on a farm till 1887, when they came to
Galesburg, where they now reside. Dr. H. I.
Swigert, after graduating in the Galesburg
High School and Knox College, took a full
course in the Northwestern University Dental
School, Chicago. He is practicing dentistry in
the Holmes Building, Galesburg, Illinois. In
religion, Dr. Swigert is a Presbyterian. He is
a republican.

TAIT, WILLIAM F.; Physician and Surgeon;
Galesburg; born June 21, 1836, in Scotland;
educated in Illinois. His parents, William and
Mary Ann (McDowell) Tait, were born in Scot-
land. His grandfather and great-grandfather,
on the paternal side, were named John. His
maternal grandfather was John McDowell. Mr.
Tait h5s been twice married: June 21, 1866, to
Rhoda A. Speny at Camden, New York, and
December 25, 1896, to Ardath G. Copley at Wal-
nut, Iowa. By the first marriage, there were
three children, Cora L., Mary E., and Margaret
S. Dr. Tait's literary education was obtained
in public schools, Knox and Monmouth col-
leges; he graduated from Lee Centre High
School in 1859. He received his medical educa-
tion in Cincinnati, Ohio. He is Pension Exam-
ining Surgeon. In religion, he is a Presby-
terian. He is a republican.

TAYLOR, JAMES E.; Implement Dealer;
Galesburg; born in Portland, Maine, April 5,
1859; educated in Oneida and Galesburg. On
the paternal side, his grandfather, James Tay-
lor, was born in Scotland; his grandmother
was Lydia Wiles. His father, L. R. Taylor,
was born in Norridgewock, Maine, and his
mother, Grace E. (Carter), was borr in Port-
land. On the maternal side, his grandfather,
Thomas Carter, was born in England, as was
also his grandmother. December 19, 1893, Mr.
Taylor was married, in Oneida, Illinois, to
Maud Conger. Thoy have one son. James Ed-
win. Mr. Taylor lived near Oneida, Illinois,
until 1895. and since then in Galesburg. While
living in Oneida, he was engaged in farming.
He is a member of the Congregational Church.
In politics, he is a republican.

TREADWELL, GUTHRIE; Engineer; Gales-
burg; born June IS, 1851, at St. Andrews,
Canada, where he was educated, and where he
was married to Maggie Maloney, October 27,
1875. They have seven children. George Emer-
son; Mary Elizabeth, deceased; Kate and
Maude, twins; Kate, deceased; Nathan Guthrie;
Anna Drew; and Gertrude. Mr. Treadwell's
father, Nathan N., was born in St. Andrews,
New Brunswick, and his mother. Elizabeth
(Miller), was born in St. Andrews, Scotland:



KNOX COUNT Y.



his paternal grandfather, Reuben Treadwell,
was born in Newport, Rhode Island; his pater-
nal grandmother, Alpha Peck, was born in
Eastport, Maine; his maternal grandfather,
George Miller, married Anna Guthrie, who was
born in St. Andrews, Scotland. Mr. Treadwell
began work on the New Brunswick and Canada
Railroad in 18(i7, and continued in its employ
for fifteen years. He afterwards entered the
service of the New Brunswick Railroad, in
Canada, where he remained for five years. He
then moved to Boston, and soon after to Bur-
lington, Iowa. In 1888, Mr. Treadwell began
service as a locomotive engineer on the Chi-
cago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, which
position he still holds. He went through the
strike on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy,
and has loug been one of the trusted engineers
of the company. In religion, Mr. Treadwell is
an Episcopalian. He is a republican.

TURNER, HARRY; Conductor; Galesburg;
born July 15, 1S5G, in Philadelphia, Pennsyl-
vania, where he was educated. His parents
were William and Emma (Haigh) Turner, of
ShefDeld, England. Harry Turner was married
to Frances Rund .January 1. 1883; at Prince-
ton, Illinois. They have seven children: Harry
George; Clarence, deceased; Octave, deceased;
Lester: Grace A.; Gladys; and Gertrude. His
grandfather was John Turner, of England. Mr.
Turner's father learned the trade of pocket-
knife grinding in the Rodgers' Cutlery Works at
Sheffield. England. He came to this country in
middle life, and worked at his trade in Phila-
delphia, Pennsylvania. Mr. Harry Turner be-
gan work in a sash and door factory in Phila-
delphia, at three dollars a week, and went to
night school two hours each evening. At the
age of twenty, he came to Princeton, Illinois,
and began work for the Chicago, Burlington
and Quincy Railroad Company, where he has
since been employed. In 188:3, he began as
brakeman, in Galesburg, and has been con-
ductor for a number of years. He was a dele-
gate to the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen
Convention at Los Angeles in 1890. Mr. Tur-
ner's parents, and his sous, Clarence and Oc-
tave, are buried in Linwood Cemetery. Mr.
Turner has a pleasant home on Lincoln avenue.
He is a republican

ULRICH, GEORGE W.; Engineer; Gales-
burg; born January 12, 1850, in Reading, Penn-
sylvania, where he received his education in
the common schools. He married Margaret
Sharp, at Pottsville, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1872:
they have three children, Charles, Maggie, and
Anna. Mrs. Ulrich is a member of the Method-
ist Church. Mr. Ulrich, at the age of seventeen,
entered the service of the Philadelphia and
Reading Railroad. In 1881, he came to Gales-
burg and was employed by the Chicago, Bur-
lington and Quincy Railroad as engineer, a
position whioh he now holds. Mr. Ulrich is a
republican.

VINCENT, CLARENCE A.; Minister; Gales-
burg; born in Geauga County, Ohio, December
17. 1859. After leaving the common schools
he graduated from the Oberlin Preparatory



School in 1880, and from Oberlin College in
1884, receiving the degree of B. A. In 1888, he
received the degree of B. D. from Oberlin The-
ological Seminary. During his seminary course
he spent one year in post-graduate work in
Yale Divinity School. He was pastor of the
First Free Baptist Church, of Buffalo, New
York, from 1888 to 1892; National Secretary
of the Free Baptist Missionary and Educational
societies during the years 1889 to 1893; pastor
of the First Congregational Church, of San-
dusky, Ohio, from December, 1890, to October,
1898. and is now pastor of the Central Congre-
gational Church, Galesburg. His father,
Augustus R., and his mother, Lurancy A., were
residents of Ohio; his father was a farmer.
Dr. 'Vincent was married in 1888 to Lucy Hall,
a student of Oberlin College. There are four
children, Hope, Ruth, Helen, and Clarence Hall.
In 1898, Mr. Vincent was given the degree of
Doctor of Divinity by Hillsdale College, Mich-
igan. He is the author of two books that have
had wide circulation: "Acts of Modern Apos-
tles." and "Providence in America." While a
pastor at Buffalo, he was elected President of
the Baptist State Association; and in Ohio, he
was President of the Congregational State As-
sociation. He has been honored many times in
being chosen to preach the annual sermon at
the State and National meetings of the Baptist.
Congregational, and Christian Endeavor socie-
ties.

WAGGONER, MORTIMER O.; Conductor;
Galesburg; born in Dexter, Michigan, August
24, 1853; educated in Michigan, and in Toledo,
Ohio. His parents were Edward E. Waggoner
of Michigan, and Mary J. (Palmer) Waggoner
of New York. His maternal grandfather was

B. M. Palmer, and his grandmother's maiden
name was Griffin, of New York. He
was married to Jennie Fitzsimmons, Febru-
ary 13, 1876, at Monmouth, Illinois. Their
children are: Rose M., Edward James, Lula
Mertle, Bernice J., and Bernard M. Mr. Wag-
goner's parents were married in Michigan, and
reared a family of six children. During the
War of the Rebellion, the father enlisted, and
died of fever, in 1865, at his post on the receiv-
ing ship Great Western. After attending school
for three years in Toledo, Ohio, Mr. M. 0. Wag-
goner returned to Michigan, and in 1871 came
to Galesburg. In 1872, he entered the employ of
the Chicago. Burlington and Quincy Railroad
Company as brakeman. He has been conductor
for twenty-four years. In politics, Mr. Wag-
goner is liberal and independent. He is a
Methodist.

WALBERG. JOHN A.; Grocer; Galesburg:
born April 24, 1848, in Sweden, where he was
educated. His parents were J. M. and Maria

C. (Jacobson) Jonsson. Mr. Walberg was mar-
ried to Susanna C. Munson at Galesburg, March
S, 1873. There were four children, Alma C, de-
ceased; Robert J.; Mabel M.; and Laura A.,
deceased. Mr. Walberg has been a grocer in
Galesburg for eighteen years. He is a Method-
ist. In politics, he is a republican, and has been
Alderman of the Third Ward for two terms.




'^^^^^^^^^^Ay



KNOX C U N 1' \



WASHINGTON, JOHN HENRY; Engineer;
Galesburg; born at Washington, Mason County,
Kentuclvy, March S, 1847. His father was John
Washington, and his mother was Louisa Nel-
son, both natives of Kentucky. Mr. Washing-
ton was educated in Ohio. He was married to
Mary F. Smith, November 25, 1869, at Gales-
burg. They have two children, John William,
and Hattie E. Mr. Washington lived in Ken-
tucky until 1S63, when he removed to Clinton,
Ohio. He made three attempts to enlist in the
Union Army, but failed on account of his age.
He came to Galesburg in 1SG8, and soon en-
tered the employ of Dr. J. V. N. Standish, with
whom he remained for seven years, a sufficient
proof of his efficiency. For twenty-one years,
he has been employed by the Republican Reg-
ister in the capacity of engineer. He is, also, a
good pressman, and is a member of the Press-
men's Union of Peoria. Mr. Washington is re-
garded as one of the leading colored men of
Galesburg, and is highly esteemed by all with
whom he has sustained business relations. He
is a member of the African Methodist Church,
and for ten years he was one of its Board of
Trustees. He is a class-leader, and has been
Superintendent of the Sunday school. He is a
member of the Colored Masonic Lodge, No. 10.
and has for the last three years, been its Wor-
shipful Master. He is Past Noble Father of the
Little Bee Lodge, 1. O. of 0. F. In polities,
Mr. Washington is a republican, and has
recently been chosen one of the Board of
Supervisors.

WEIDENHAMER. JAMES HENRY; Engi-
neer; Galesburg; born March 12, 1860. in Schuy-
ler County, Illinois. His parents were John
Jacob and Elizabeth (Glenn) Weidenhamer, of
Pennsylvania and Tennessee respectively; his
grandparents were John Weidenhamer of Penn-
sylvania, and Elizabeth M. (Lindemyer) Weid-
enhamer of Germany. He was married in
Galesburg, October 6, 1881, to Mary Etta, daugh-
ter of Jesse Stout of Ohio, and Caroline (Tay-
lor) Stout, of Pennsylvania. They have three
children, Jesse Roy; Bessie Belle, deceased; and
Freddie Glenn. Mr. Weidenhamer's grand-
father was a farmer, and moved from Pennsyl
vania to Quincy. Illinois, at an early day. H
endured many hardships, not the least of whichi
was the dreadful scourge of cholera. He died
at the age of thirty years. His family was sup-
ported by his son. the father of James H.. who,
upon his marriage, settled in Schuyler County.
After removals to Murray, Keokuk Junction,
and Osceola, Iowa, he came to Galesburg in 1878,
and retired from business. Nine of his thirteen
children are living: John and William are rail-
way conductors; James Henry and Charles are
locomotive engineers; Fred D. is Chief Train
Dispatcher at Lincoln, Nebraska, and Albert E.
is a yardmaster at Kansas City. James H. be-
gan work on his father's farm in Schuyler
(bounty, then went to Fowler and continued
farming for tw,-) years. In March, 1878, he
went to Cherokee, Kansas, expecting to obtain
a position on the Memphis, Kansas and Colo-
rado Railroad, but was disappointed. He sold
his prospects and in August, 1878, came to



Galesburg, where he engaged as brakeman on
the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy. He be-
came conauctor in 1883, and engineer in Sep-
tember, 1888. He now runs on the "Kate" flyer
between Galesburg and Quincy. Mr. Weiden-
hamer is indenendent in politics.

WEST, AMY ROOKS; Galesburg; born Sep-
tember 4, 18i8, at Sempronlus, New York;
educated in the common schools. She was
married to John Gibbs West December 29, 1836,
at East Java, New York. Of this union six
children grew to manhood: Charles, Lyman,
Homer, Ira, Nehemiah, and Willard. John G.
West, son of John and Sallie (Woodcock) West,
was born January 21, 1812. He came to Gales-
burg in 1836, with the first settlers, and died
June 9, 1886. In religion, Mrs. West is a Con-
gregationalist.

WHEELER, HARRY EDMUND; Mechanical
Engineer; Galesburg; born December 29, 1863,
in Monmouth, Illinois; educated at the Inter-
national Correspondent's School at Scranton,
Pennsylvania. His parents were Elisha E.
and Celestia (Hale) Wheeler. Mr. Wheeler
was married in Galesburg, in April, 1892, to
Angle Corine Cummins. Their children are:
Hazel, Blanch, and Erminie. Mr. Wheeler is
now chief engineer of the city waterworks.

WILLSIE. ALFRED N.; Engineer; Gales-
burg; born April 24, 1864; educated in the com-
mon schools. His parents were H. H. Willsie,
of Canada, and Betsy (Nichols) Willsie, of New
York. He was married in Galesburg, Novem-
ber 21, 1885, to Mata B. F. Baker. Mr. Willsie
began work for the Chicago, Burlington and
Quincy Railroad Company in 1880, as errand
boy in the master mechanic's office. He was
promoted to the position of foreman in 1890,
and engineer in 1892. January 1, 1899, he was
made traveling fireman. He is a member of the
I. 0. O. F., No. 487, and also of the Forresters.
Mr. Willsie is a republican, and keenly in-
grested_Japoliticalattairs. v

ISy^ELL, vy yRU^ President of the Gales->
Turg "Brick and 'l'eri=a Cotta Company; Gales-
burg; born i^'ebruary 1, 1825, in Vermont:
educated in Vermont and Illinois. His parents
were John and Ada (Wilard) Wiswcll, of Ver-
mont, the latter of Wardsborough; his pater-
nal grandparents, Samuel and Saloma (Oaks)
Wiswell, and his maternal grandparents, Oliver
and Asneth Wilard, were of Massachusetts.
Mr. Wiswell was married November 18, 1851,
at Berwick, Warren County, Illinois, to Martha
Sheldon. She was born February 16, 1833, in
Oneida County, New York. Their children are:
Sarah Sophronia, Laiirette Wilard. and
Augusta Gates. Mr. Wiswell is a member of /
the Baptist Church. He is a republican. _•

YOUNG, NELS S.; Galesburg; born 1841 in
Sweden; came to Galesburg in 1864. He Is a
mason by trade, and worked for T. E. Smith for
twenty year?. In 1886, he entered upon the
business of contracting mason. He owns a val-
uable farm in Knox County, and has a hand-
some residence on Kellogg street, Galesburg.
In 1876, Mr. Young was married to Hannah
Akeyson; they have two children, Samuel and
.\nna.



b



Part III.



TOWNS AND TOWNSHIPS.



A town is a poUtical, a township a physical,
division. They are often confounded, and in
deference to popular custom townships have
been, in some instances, referred to as towns in
this history. Townships are squares of
land, each containing thirty-six sections,
laid off by United States surveyors for
convenience in describing land. So far as
this governmental survey is concerned, they
have no names, and are designated only
by their distance from principal meridians
and base lines. Towns, on the contrary, have
come to us from the political system of New
England. They are units of government.
Whenever a county adopts township (really
town) organization three commissioners are ap-
pointed to lay out the towns. Then the voters
in each town meet and choose a town name.
Therefore, in naming their towns the voters
simply named the townships in which they
lived. Thus Indian Point town exactly coin-
cides with Township 9 North, Range 1 East.
Yet it is absolutely incorrect ever to speak of
Indian Point township, or of town 9 North,
Range 1 East.

Knox County contains twenty townships, and
for some years had the same number of towns.
But. owing to the division of Galesburg into
the town and city of that name, it now has
twenty-one.

RIO TOWNSHIP.

By E. H. Goldsmith.

This portion of Knox County is situated in

the extreme northwest corner, the greater part

of it consisting of good farming land, being



well drained by Pope Creek, which flows
through the northern tier of sections, and va-
rious branches of Henderson River. About one-
fourth of the township was originally com-
posed of timbered land, that bordering on Pope
Creek being rather poor in quality, while, on
the contrary, the timber along Henderson River
was excellent. Coal has been mined to a lim-
ited extent in tnis locality. Stock-raising was
formerly the principal agricultural pursuit, but
of late years that industry has been superseded
by the raising of grain, there being at present
19.800 acres of improved land, much of which
has been increased in value by tilling.

From all available records it would appear
that Joseph Rowe was the first white man to
settle in the townsnip, his arrival being closely
followed by Reece Jones and Joseph Halliday,
while John Cresswell came to Section 27 in
1832. A stockade, the erection of which was
made necessary by the Black Hawk War, was,
in honor of Mrs. Cresswell, called "Fort Aggie."
John R. WooUev located a claim here in 1832,
and Samuel Brown arrived in 1S34. The latter
states that very little land was under cultiva-
tion at that time. The following pioneers set-
tled in the township m 1836: Isaac M. Wet-
more; John F. Wikoff, who journeyed from
Ohio on horseback and erected a cabin in the
woods west of the present homestead; George
W. Weir; Elsia Robertson, who once saw a
drove of more than fifty deer in this vicinity;
Larkin Robertson; Nelson and Lewis Coe; Sam-
uel Melton: and P. W. Epperson. Luther Fitch
came in 1840. Eber Moor and John L. Bloom-
field arrived in 1845, and the Maxwell family



796



KNOX COUNTY,



were also early settlers. John B. Edar first lo-
cated in Knox County in 1832, removing to
Rio in 1867. Alexander Heflin was born in Rio,
and Mrs. Heflin's grandfather, John McMurtry,
participated in the Black Hawk War. Among
the pioneer business men were the Robson
brothers, who were engaged extensively in
cattle raising. Their sales averaged $400,000
annually for seven years.

April 5, 1835, witnessed the birth in the
township of the first white child, Thomas
Marion GofE. On December 29, 1836, was cele-
brated the first marriage, that of Allen S.
Brown and Mary (Polly) McMurtry, the lat-
ter of whom still survives. The first death was
that of Mrs. Mary Williamson McMurtry.

This part of Knox County was at one time
called North Prairie, but when the citizens
met on January 14, 1850, to name the town-
ship, Rio Grande was on every tongue— the
Mexican War having just come to a successful
termination — and the first part of that name
was suggested as being appropriate to this re-
gion, more particularly so by reason of the
numerous streams with which it abounds. The
meeting, however, adjourned, leaving the ques-
tion to be decided by the county officials, and
they, at the solicitation of Lewis Coe, deter-
mined on Rio as their choice.

The first town election was held April 5, 1853,
one hundred and four votes being cast for the
following successful candidates: Reuben Hef-
lin, Supervisor; Paul Hahn, Clerk; Lewis Goff,
Assessor; Daniel Robertson, Collector; Jose-
phus Hahn, Overseer of the Poor; Larkin Rob-
ertson, Justice of the Peace; W. D. Epperson,
Constable; Samuel Brown, John Gibson and T.
J. Jones, Highway Commissioners.

The first school in the township was taught
by Mrs. Cresswell, at her home. There are now
nine school districts, comprising one graded
and eight ungraded schools, each of them hav-
ing a library. Of the former Miss Mary E.
Maley is principal, and Miss Mary A. Hurst
assistant, the enrolment numbering fifty pu-
pils. The nine frame buildings devoted to edu-
cational purposes are valued at $5,560, and the
libraries at $287. Of three hundred and fifty-
nine persons under twenty-one years of age,
one hundred and eighty-seven attend the pub-
lic schools.

VILLAGES.

Rio Village was platted in 1871 by William
Robinson, and was first called Coburg, in honor
of the Coe brothers. The pioneer store was



built and conducted by Messrs. Schroeder and
Owens. The postoffice was originally called
North Prairie, Nelson Coe being the first post-
master. The present incumbent of that posi-
tion is Frederick A. Landon, a very efficient
and courteous official. The business interests
of the village are in the hands of competent
and energetic merchants. H. F. Schroeder and
Company have a fine line of dry goods and
groceries, while Sexton and Landon have been
in the same business for about five years. La-
bar and Junk supply the people with hardware
and furniture; S. S. Bair conducts a grocery
and notion store; James G. Mansfield deals in
lumber and hardware; C. F. Peters carries on a
restaurant; Mead and Mead, a meat market;
and the Misses Junk and Fisher a millinery
establishment. The Rio Hotel is under the
management of J. Van Arsdale; David Eiken is
the village smith, and also keeps a wagon
shop; and the elevator, which does an exten-
sive business, is operated by Eraser and Gra-
ham.

Fraternally, Rio Township is well repre-
sented. Blue Lodge, No. 685, A. F. and A. M.,
was chartered October 1, 1872, by D. C. Cregier,
G. M.; O. N. Miner, Secretary; Robert Death-
erage, Master; Alexander Hefiin, S. W.; Wil-
liam Hair, J. W.; and the following charter
members: Joshua Bruner, M. Conley, F. A.
Landon, Robert Robson, W. D. Wright, J. B.
Edgar, D. Robertson, C. I. Epperson, G. M.
Wetmore, J. Shankholtzer, R. Allgeyer, and M.
S. Shepherd. The present officers are: M.
Dickerson, Master; Dr. J. N. Cox, S. W.; D. L.
Rowe, J. W. There are sixty-eight members.

Horeb Chapter, No. 4, A. F. and A. M., was
organized October 14, 1850, with these officers:
G. C. Lanphere, High Priest; E. S. Cooper,
King; J. M. Witt, Scribe. The charter was
issued by W. B. Warren and J. E. Anderson.
The present officers are: L. J. Smith, High
Priest; Frank Campbell, King; N. Moody,
Scribe. The membership numbers one hun-



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 167 of 207)