Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 17 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 17 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


United States Senate for the term ending in 1901.
In 1892 he was chosen Chairman of the Repub-
lican National Committee, serving until the St.
Louis Convention of 1896.

CARTER VILLE, a village in Williamson
County, 10 miles by rail northwest of Marion.
Coal mining is the principal industry. It has a
bank, four churches, a public school, and a
weekly newspaper. Population (1880), 693;
(1890), 969.

CARTHAGE, a city, and tlie county-seat of
Hancock County, 13 miles east of Keokuk, Iowa,
on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the
Wabash Railroads. It has waterworks and is
lighted by electricity ; has three weekly papers,
and is the seat of a Lutlieran College. Popula-
tion (1880), 1,594; (1890), 1,6.54.

CARTHAGE COLLEGE, at Carthage, Hancock
County, incorporated in 1871; has a teaching
faculty of twelve members, and reports 158 pupils
— sixty-eight men and ninety women — for 1897-98.
It has a library of 5,000 volumes and endowment
of $32,000. Instruction is given in the classical,
scientific, musical, fine arts and business depart-
ments, as well as in preparatory studies. In 1898
this institution reported a property valuation of
$41,000, of which $35,000 was in real estate.

CARTHAGE & BURLINGTON RAILROAD.
(See Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad.)

CARTWRIGHT, James Henry, Justice of the
Supreme Court, was born at Maquoketa, Iowa,
Bee. 1, 1843 — the son of a frontier Methodist
clergyman; was educated at Rock River Semi-
nary and the University of Michigan, graduating
from the latter in 1867; began practice in 1870 at
Oregon, Ogle County, which is still his home ; in
1888 was elected Circuit Judge to succeed Judge
Eustace, deceased, and in 1891 assigned to Appel-
late Court duty ; in December, 1895, was elected
Justice of tlie Supreme Court to succeed Justice
John M. Bailey, deceased, and re-elected in
1897.

CARTWRIGHT, Peter, pioneer Methodist
preacher, was born in Amlierst County, Va.,
Sept. 1, 1785, and at the age of five years accom-
panied his father (a Revolutionary veteran) to
Logan County, Ky. Tlie country was wild and
unsettled, there were no schools, the nearest mill
was 40 miles distant, the few residents wore
homespun garments of flax or cotton ; and coffee,
tea and sugar in domestic use were almost im-
known. Methodist circuit riders soon invaded
the district, and, at a camp meeting held at Cane



Ridge in 1801, Peter received his first religious
A few months later he abandoned
life, sold his race-horse and abjuied
gambling. He began preaching immediately
after liis conversion, and, in 1803, was regular]}'
received into the ministry of the Methodist Epis-
copal Churcli, althougli only 18 years old. In
1823 he removed to Illinois, locating in Sangamon
County, then but sparsely settled. In 1838, and
again in 1833, he was elected to the Legislature,
where his homespun wit and undaimted courage
stood him in good stead. For a long series of
years lie attended annual conferences (usually as
a delegate), and was a conspicuous figm-e at
camp-meetings. Although a Democrat all liis
life, he was an uncompromising antagonist of
slavery, and rejoiced at the division of his
denomination in 1844. He was also a zealous
supporter of tlie Government during the Civil
War. In 1846 he was a candidate for Congress
on the Democratic ticket, but was defeated by
Abraham Lincoln. He was a powerful preacher,
a tireless worker, and for fifty years served as a
Presiding Elder of his denomination. On the
lecture platform, his quaintness and eccentricity,
together with his inexhaustible fund of personal
anecdotes, insured an interested audience.
Numerous stories are told of his physical prowess
in overcoming unruly characters whom he had
failed to convince by moral suasion. Inside the
cliurch lie was equally fearless and outspoken,
and his strong common sense did much to pro-
mote the success of tlie denomination in the
West. He died at his lionie near Pleasant Plains,
Sangamon County, Sept. 25, 1873. His principal
published works are "A Controversy with the
Devil" (1853), "Autobiograpliy of Peter Cart-
wright" (1856), "The Backwoods Preacher"
(London, 1869), and several works on Methodism.
CARY, Eugene, lawyer and insurance manager,
was born at Boston, Erie County, N. Y., Feb. 20,
1835; began teaching at sixteen, meanwhile
attending a select school or academy at intervals ;
studied law at Sheboygan, Wis., and Buffalo,
N. Y., 1855-56; served as City Attorney and
later as County Judge, and, in 1861, enlisted in
the First Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, serv-
ing as a Captain in tlie Army of the Cumberland,
and the last two years as Judge- Advocate on the
staff of General Rousseau. After the war he
settled at Nashville, Tenn., where he held the
office of Judge of the First District, but in 1871
he was elected to the City Council, and. in 1883,
was the High-License candidate for Mayor in
opposition to Mayor Harrison, and believed by



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



83



many to have been honestly elected, but counted
out by the machine methods then in vogue.

CASAD, Anthony Wayne, clergyman and phy-
sician, was born in Wantage Township, Sussex
County, N. J., May 2, 1791; died at Sunimerfield,
111., Dec. 16, 1857. His father. Rev. Thomas
Casad, was a Baptist minister, who, with his
wife, Abigail Tingley, was among the early
settlers of Sussex County. He was descended
from Dutch-Huguenot ancestry, the family name
being originally Cossart, the American branch
having been founded by Jacques Cossart, who
emigrated from Leyden to New York in 1G63.
At the age of 19 Anthony removed to Greene
County, Ohio, settling at Fairfield, near the site
of the present city of Dayton, where some of his
relatives were then residing. On Feb. 6, 1811, he
married Anna, eldest daughter of Captain Samuel
Stites and Martha Martin Stites, her mother's
father and grandfather having been patriot sol-
diers in the War of the Revolution. Anthony
Wayne Casad served as a volunteer from Ohio in
the War of 1812, being a member of Captain
Wm. Stephenson's Company. In 1818 he re-
moved with his wife's father to Union Grove, St.
Clair County, 111. A few years later he entered
the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and dxiring 1831-2.S was stationed at Kaskaskia
and Buffalo, removing, in 1823, to Lebanon,
where he taught school. Later he studied medi-
cine and attained considerable prominence as a
practitioner, being commissioned Surgeon of the
Forty-ninth Illinois Infantry in 183.5. He was
one of the founders of McKendree College and a
liberal contributor to its support; was also for
many years Deputy Superintendent of Schools at
Lebanon, served as County Surveyor of St.
Clair County, and acted as agent for Harper
Brothers in the sale of Southern Illinois lands.
He was a prominent Free Mason and an influ-
ential citizen. His youngest daughter, Amanda
Keziali, married Rev. Colin D. James (which see).

CASEY, a village of Clark County, at the inter-
section of the Vandalia Line and the Chicago &
Ohio River Railroad, 3.5 miles southwest of Terre
Haute. Population (1880), 748; (1890), 844.

CASEY, Zadoc, pioneer and early Congressman,
was born in Georgia. March 17, 1796, the young-
est son of a soldier of the Revolutionary War who
removed to Tennessee about 1800. Tlie subject
of this .sketch came to Illinois in 1817, bringing
with him his widowed mother, and settling in
the vicinity of the present city of Mount Vernon,
in Jefferson County, where he acquired grpat
prominence as a politician and became the head



of an influential family. He began preaching at
an early age, and continued to do so occasionally
through his political career. In 1819, he took a
prominent part in the organization of Jefferson
County, serving on the first Board of County
Commissioners; was an unsuccessful candidate
for the Legislature in 1820, but was elected
Representative in 1822 and re-elected two years
later ; in 1826 was advanced to the Senate, serv-
ing until 1830, when he was elected Lieutenant-
Governor, and during his incuinbencj' took part
in the Black Hawk War. On March 1, 1833, he
resigned the Lieutenant-Governorship to accept
a seat as one of the three Congressmen from
Illinois, to which he had been elected a few
months previous, being subsequently re-elected
for four consecutive terms. In 1842 he was
again a candidate, but was defeated by John A.
McClernand. Other public positions held by him
included those of Delegate to the Constitutional
Conventions of 1847 and 1862, Representative in
the Sixteenth and Seventeenth General Assem-
blies (1848-52), serving as Speaker in the former.
He was again elected to the Senate in 1860, but
died before the expiration of his term, Sept. 4,
1862. During the latter years of his life he was
active in securing the right of way for the Ohio
& Mississippi Railroad, the original of the Mis-
sissippi division of the Baltimore, Ohio & South-
western. He commenced life in povert}', but
acquired a considerable estate, and was the donor
of the ground upon wliich the Supreme Court
building for the Southern Division at Mount
Vernon was erected.— Dr. Newton R. (Casey),
son of the preceding, was born in Jefferson
County, 111., Jan. 27, 1826, received his pri-
mary education in the local schools and at Hills-
boro and Mount Vernon Academies; in 1842
entered the Ohio University at Athens in that
State, remaining mitil 1845, when he com-
menced the study of medicine, taking a course
of lectures the following year at the Louisville
Medical Institute; soon after began practice,
and, in 1847, removed to Benton, 111., returning
the following year to Mount Vernon. In
1856-57 he attended a second course of lectures at
the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, tlie latter
year removing to Mound City, where he filled a
number of positions, including that of Mayor
from 1859 to 1864. when he declined a re-election.
In 1860, Dr. Casey served as delegate from Illi-
nois to the Democratic National Convention at
Charleston, S. C, and, on the establishment of
the United States Government Hospital at Mound
t'itv. in 1861. acted for some time as a volunteer



84



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



sui'geon, later serving as Assistant Surgeon. In
1866, he was elected Representative in the
Twrenty-fifth General Assembly and re-elected in
1868, when he was an misuccessful Democratic
candidate for Speaker in opposition to Hon. S. M.
Cullom; also again served as Representative in
the Twenty -eighth General Assembly (1872-74).
Since retiring from public life Dr. Casey has
given his attention to the practice of his profes-
sion—Col. Thomas S. (Casey), another son, was
born in Jefferson County, 111., April 6, 1832,
educated in the common schools and at McKend-
ree College, in due course receiving the degree of
A.M. from the latter; studied law for three
years, being admitted to the bar in 1854 ; in 1860,
was elected State's Attorney for the Twelfth
Judicial District; in September, 1862, was com-
missioned Colonel of the One Hundred and Tenth
Illinois Vokinteer Infantry, but was mustered out
Jlay 16, 1863, having in the meantime taken part
in the battle of Stone River and other important
engagements in Western Tennessee. By this
time his regiment, having been much reduced
in numbers, was consolidated with the Sixtieth
Illinois Volunteer Infantry. In 1864, he was
again elected State's Attorney, serving until
1868 ; in 1870, was chosen Representative, and, in
1873, Senator for the Mount Vernon District for
a term of four years. In 1879, he was elected Cir-
cuit Judge and was immediately assigned to
Appellate Court duty, soon after the expiration of
his term, in 1885, removing to Springfield, where
he died, March 1, 1891.

CASS COUNTY, situated a little west of the
center of the State, with an area of 360 square
miles and a population (1890) of 15,963— named
for Gen. Lewis Cass. French traders are believed
to have made the locality of Beardstown their
headquarters about the time of the discovery of
the Illinois country. The earliest permanent
white settlers came about 1820, and among them
were Thomas Beard, Martin L. Lindsley, John
Cetrough and Archibald Job. As early as 1821
there was a horse-mill on Indian Creek, and, in
1827, M. L Lindsley conducted a school on the
bluffs. Peter Cartwright, the noted Methodist
missionary and evangelist, was one of the earliest
preachers, and among the pioneers may be named
Messrs. Robertson, Toplo, McDonald, Downing,
Davis, Shepherd, Penny, Bergen and Hopkins.
Beardstown was the original county-seat, and
during both the Black Hawk and Mormon
troubles was a depot of supplies and rendezvous
for troops. Here also Stephen A. Douglas made
his first political speecli. The site of the town.



as at present laid out, was at one time sold by
Mr. Downing for twenty-five dollars. The
county was set off from Morgan in 1837. The
principal towns are Beardstown, Virginia, Chand-
lerville, Ashland and Arenzville. The county-
seat, formerly at Beardstown, was later removed
to Virginia, where it now is. Beardstown was
incorporated in 1837, with about 700 inhabitants.
Virginia was platted in 1836, but not incorporated
until 1843.

CASTLE, Orlando Lane, educator, was born at
Jericho, Vt., July 26, 1832; graduated at Denison
University, Ohio, 1846; spent one year as tutor
there, and, for several years, had charge of the
public schools of Zanesville, Ohio. In 1858, he
accepted the chair of Rhetoric, Oratory and
Belles-Lettres in Shurtleff College, at Upper
Alton, 111., remaining until his death, Jan. 31,
1893. Professor Castle received the degree of
LL.D. from Denison University in 1877.

CATHERWOOD, Mary Hartwell, author, was
born (Hartwell) in Luray, Ohio, Dec. 16, 1844,
educated at the Female College, Granville, Ohio,
where she graduated, in 1868, and, in 1887, was
married to James S. Catherwood, with whom she
resides at Hoopeston, 111. Mrs. Catherwood is the
author of a number of works of fiction, which
have been accorded a high rank. Among her
earlier productions are "Craque-o'-Doom" (1881),
"Rocky Fork" (1882), "Old Caravan Days'
(1884), "The Secrets at Roseladies" (1888), "The
Romance of Dollard" and "The Bells of St.
Anne" (1889). During the past few years she
has shown a predilection for subjects connected
with early Illinois history, and has published
popular romances under the title of "The Story
of Tonty," "The White Islander," "The Lady of
Fort St. Jolm, " "Old Kaskaskia" and "The Chase
of Sant Castin and other Stories of the French
in the New World."

C.4T0N, John Dean, early lawyer and jurist,
was born in Monroe County. N. Y., March 19,
1813. Left to the care of a widowed mother at
an early age, his childhood was spent in poverty
and manual labor. At 15 he was set to learn a
trade, but an infirmity of sight compelled him to
abandon it. After a brief attendance at an
academy at Utica, where he studied law between
the ages of 19 and 31, in 1833 he removed to
Chicago, and shortly afterward, on a visit to
Pekin, was examined and licensed to practice by
Judire Stephen T. Logan. In 1834, he was elected
Justice of the Peace, served as Alderman in
1837-38, and sat upon the bench of the Supreme
Court from 1842 to 1864, when he resigned, hav-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



85



ing served nearly twentj - t\vo years. Durinj,'
this period he more than once occupied the posi-
tion of Chief-Justice. Being embarrassed by the
tinancial stringency of 1837-38, in the latter year
he entered a tract of laud near Plainfield, and.
taking his family with him, began farming.
Later in life, while a resident of Ottawa, he
became interested in the construction of telegraph
lines in the West, which for a time bore his name
and were ultimately incorporated in the "West-
em Union," laying the foundation of a large
fortime. On retiring from the bench, he devoted
himself for the remainder of his life to his private
affairs, to travel, and to literary labors. Among
his published works are "The Antelope and Deer
of America," "A Summer in Norway," "Miscel-
lanies. '" and "Early Bench and Bar of Illinois."
Died in Chicago, July 30, 1895.

CAVARLY, Alfred W., early lawyer and legis-
lator, was born in Connecticut, Sept. 15, 1793;
served as a soldier in the War of 1812, and, in
1822, came to Illinois, first settling at Edwards-
ville, and soon afterwards at CarroUton, Greene
County. Here he was elected Representative in
the Fifth General Assembly (1820), and again to
the Twelfth (1840) ; also served as Senator in the
Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth Assemblies
(1842-48), acting, in 1845, as one of the Commis-
sioners to revise the statutes. In 1844, he was
chosen a Presidential Elector, and, in 1846, was a
prominent candidate for the Democratic nomi-
nation for Governor, but was defeated in conven-
tion by Augustus C. French. Mr. Cavarly was
prominent both in his profession and in the
Legislature while a member of that body. In
1853, he removed to Ottawa, where he resided
until liis death, Oct. 25. 1876.

CEXTERVILLE (or Central City), a village in
the coal-mining district of Grundy County, near
Coal City. Population (isso). 673.

CENTRAL HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE,
established under act of the Legislature passed
March 1, 1847, and located at Jacksonville, Mor-
gan County. Its founding was largely due to the
philanthroi)ic efforts of Miss Dorothea L. Dix,
who addressed the people from the platform and
appeared before the General Assembly in behalf
of this class of unfortunates. Construction of
the building was begun in 1848. By 1851 two
wards were ready for occupancy, and the first
patient was received in November of that year.
The first Superintendent was Dr. J. M. Higgins,
who served less than two years, when he was suc-
ceeded by Dr. H. K. Jones, who had been Assist-
ant Superintendent. Dr. Jones remained as



Acting Superintendent for several months, when
the place was tilled by tlie appointment of Dr.
Andrew McFarland of New Hampshire, his
administration continuing until 1870, when he
resigned on account of ill-health, being succeeded
by Dr. Henry F. Carriel of New Jersey. Dr.
Carriel tendered his resignation in 1893, and,
after one or two further changes, in 1897 Dr.
F. C. Winslow, who had been Assistant Superin-
tendent under Dr. Carriel, was placed in charge
of the institution. The original plan of construc-
tion provided for a center building, five and a
half stories high, and two wings with a rear
extension in which were to be the chapel, kitchen
and employes' quarters. .Subsequently these
wings were greatly enlarged, permitting an
increase in the number of wards, and as the
exigencies of the institution demanded, appropri-
ations have been made for the erection of addi-
tional buildings. Numerous detached buildings
have been erected within the past few years, and
the capacity of the institution greatly increased
— "Tlie Annex" admitting of the introduction of
many new and valuable features in the classifica-
tion and treatment of patients. The number of
inmates of late years has ranged from 1,200 to
1,400. The counties from which patients are
received in this in.stitution embrace: Rock
Island, Mercer, Henry, Bureau, Putnam, Mar-
shall, Stark, Knox, Warren, Henderson, Hancock,
McDonough, Fulton, Peoria, Tazewell, Logan,
Mason, Menard, Cass, Schuyler, Adams, Pike,
Calhoun, Brown, Scott, Morgan, Sangamon,
Christian, Montgomery, Macoupin, Greene and
Jersey.

CENTRALIA, a city and railwaj^ junction in
Marion County, 250 miles south of Chicago. It
forms a trade-center for the famous "fruit belt"
of Southern Illinois. It has also coal mines
and various descriptions of manufactories, includ-
ing flour and n)Iling mills, nail factory, iron
foundries and railway repair shops. There are
three papers published here — two daily. The
city has several parks and an excellent system of
graded schools, including a high school. Popula-
tion (1880), 3,621; (1890), 4,763.

CENTRALIA & ALTAMONT RAILROAD.
(See Cetitralia d- Chester Railroad.)

CENTRALIA & CHESTER RAILROAD, a rail
way line wholly within the State, extending
from Salem, in jNIarion County, to Chester, on the
Mississippi River (91.6 miles), with a lateral
branch from Sparta to Roxborough (5 miles), and
trackage facilities over the Illinois Central from
the branch junction to Centralia (2.9 miles) —



86



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



total, 99.5 miles. The original line was chartered
as the Centralia & Chester Railroad, in December,
lsy7, completed from Sparta to Coulterville in
1889, and consolidated the same year witli the
Siiarta & Evausville and the CentraUa & Alta-
mont Railroads (projected); line completed
from Centralia to Evansville early in 1894. The
branch from Sparta to Rosborough was built in
1895, the section of the main line from Centralia
to Salem (14.9 miles) in 1896, and that irom
Evansville to Chester (17.6 miles) in 1897-98,
The road was placed in the hands of a receiver,
June 7, 1897, and the expenditures for extension
and equipment made under authority granted by
the United States Court fur the issue of Receiver's
certificates. The total capitalization is §2,374,-
841, of which .?978,000 is in stocks and .?948,000 in
bonds.

CENTRAL MILITARY TRACT RAILROAD.
(See Chicago. Burlington & Quincy Railroad.)

CERRO GORDO, a town in Piatt County, 12
miles by rail east-northeast of Decatur. The crop
of cereals in the surrounding country is sufficient
to support an elevator at Cerro Gordo, which has
also a flouring mill, brick and tile factories, plow
works, etc. There are four churches, graded
schools, a bank and two newspaper offices.
Population (1880), 565; (1890), 939.

CHADDOCK COLLEGE, an institution under
tlie patronage of the Methodist Episcopal Church
at Quincy, 111., incorporated in 1878; is co-educa-
tional, has a faculty of ten instructors, and
reports 127 students— 70 male and 57 female— in
the classes of 1895-96. Besides the usual depart-
ments in literature, science and the classics,
instruction is given to classes in theology, music,
the fine arts, oratory and preparatory studies. It
has property valued at $110,000, and reports an
endowment fund of §8,000.

CHAMBERLIN, Thomas Crowder, geologist
and educator, was born near Mattoon, 111., Sept.
25, 1845; graduated at Beloit College, Wisconsin,
in 1866: took a com-se in Michigan University
(1868-69); taught in various Wisconsin institu-
tions, also discharged the duties of State
Geologist, later filling the chair of Geology at
Columbian University, Washington. D. C. In
1878, he was sent to Paris, in charge of the edu-
cational exhibits of Wisconsin, at the Interna-
tional Exposition of that year — during liis visit
making a special study of the Alpine glaciers.
In 1887, he was elected President of the Univer-
sity of Wisconsin, serving until 1893, when he
became Head Professor of Geology at the Univer-
sity of Chicago, where he still remains. He is



also editor of the University "Journal of Geol-
ogy" and President of the Chicago Academy of
Sciences. Professor Chamberlin is author of a
number of volumes on educational and scientific
subjects, chiefly in the line of geology. He
received the degree of LL.D. from the Univer-
sity of Michigan, Beloit College and Columbian
University, all on the same date (1887).

CHAMPAIGN, a flourishing city in Champaign
County, 128 miles southwest of Chicago and 83
miles northeast of Springfield ; is the intersecting
point of tliree lines of railway and connected
with the adjacent city of Urbana, the county-
seat, by an electric railway. The University of
Illinois is located between the two cities, the
grounds of the institution being partly in each
corporation. Champaign has an admirable sys-
tem of water-works, well paved streets, and is
lighted by both gas and electricity. The sur-
roimding country is agricultural, but the city has
manufactories of bagging, twine, flour, carriages
and drain-tile. There are three papers published
here — two issuing daily edition.? — besides a college
weekly conducted by the students of the Univer-
sity. In the residence portion of the city there is
a handsome park .covering ten acres, and several
smaller parks in otiier sections. There are
several handsome churches, and excellent
schools, both public and private. Population
(1880), .5,103; (1890), 5,839.

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, situated in the eastern
half of the central belt of the State; area, 1,008
square miles; population (1890), 43,159. The
county was organized in 1833, and named for a



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 17 of 207)