Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 172 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 172 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


natives of the State of New York. Mrs.
Sawyer's father, Mr. Multer, was a native of
Germany. Henry Sawyer's life was spent in
Fergusonville, but his wife, after her husband's.



KNOX C O U N '1' Y.



decease, came to Illinois and died at the liome
of her son. George W., October 26, 18S5, at the
age of eighty.

It was in 1S56 that Mr. Sawyer came West
and settled at Galesbnrg. Illinois. He had
learned the carpenter's trade from his father,
and this trade he followed in Galesburg for one
year, when he removed to Minneapolis, where
he spent another year. After spending some
months in Wisconsin, he returned to Galesburg
and took up teaching, which he had followed in
his native state, where his first pay as a teacher
was only ten dollars per month. For nearly
two years, beginning with 1859, he was iden-
tified with the nursery business, after which
he resumed his trade for a short time.

December 9. 1859. in Quincy, Illinois. Mr.
Sawyer was married to Sarah Cleveland, a na-
tive of Schoharie County. New York: they had
five children: Lucinda. deceased: Mrs. Ida S.
McMaster. deceased: Charles C. of Altona: Lil-
ian, deceased; and Henry J. of Galesburg. Mrs.
Sawyer's parents. Asa and Cynthia iChilds)
Cleveland, although natives of Schoharie Coun-
ty, New York, were of English descent.

After a visit in the East, Mr. and Mrs. Sawyer
settled in Walnut Grove Township on 160 acres
of land near Foreman Creek, which they sold
after a few years and went to Quincy, Illinois.
Later they returned to Altona, where Mr.
Sawyer conducted a very successful lumber bus-
iness, and finally cecured the farm of 260 acres
North of Altona. which subsequently sold for
$100 per acre.

Mr. Sawyer died April 2, 1890. He was a
Mason. In politics, he was a republican, and
held many township oflSces.

ANDERSON. ANDERS J.: Merchant; Altona.
Walnut Grove Township: torn in Sweden.
March 27, 1S43; educated in the common
schools. He came to America in 1852. and to
Altona in 1857. Mr. Anderson was clerk in the
stores at Altona till 1875. when he opened a
grocery store, which he has since conducted, ex-
cepting four years between 1884-88. The firm is
now Updyke and Company. Mr. Anderson was
a republican, but of late years he has voted
with the prohibitionists; he is active in town
affairs; has been Village Trustee, and a mem-
ber of the School Board. He is a member of
the Congregational church. He was married
to Margaret Olson, in Altona, December 25,
1868.

ANDREWS. JOHN W.: Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township; born October 3. 1845. in
Ayrshire. Scotland; educated in the common
schools. He was married to Elizabeth Scott,
in Altona. December 25. 1877. He came to Wal-
nut Grove Township in 1855. Mr. Andrews is
a stock buyer and farmer. He takes an active
part in town affairs, and was elected Super-
visor in 1878. holding the office eight years. He
also served on the School Board for fifteen
years, and is a member of the Library Board.
For twenty years Mr. Andrews has been a mem-
ber and Trustee of the Presbyterian Church.

BOLAND. JOHN: Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township; born in Sweden: came to Knox



County in 1857. and worked by the month until
1860. He was married to Anna Olson in 1860;
their children are: Anna, Ida, Emma, Alfred
and William. Mr. Boland rented a farm in
Ontario Township for ten years, and in 1871,
bought eighty acres of land in Walnut Grove
Township; he afterwards purchased the farm
on which he now lives. He is a member of the
Lutheran Cnurcii. Mr. Boland is one of the
prominent citizens of the township.

BYERS, LEVI KNOX; Lawyer; Altona; born
February 12, 1845. at Milton. Ohio; educated
at Knox College, Galesburg. His parents were
James and Sarah (Knox) Byers. of Ohio; his
grandparents were Samuel Byers, of Pennsyl-
vania, and Elizabeth (Dean) Byers, of Ver-
mont; his great-grandfather was Samuel By-
ers, of England; his maternal grandparents
were Levi Knox, of Delaware, and Elizabeth
(Camp) Knox, of Vermont; his maternal great-
grandfather was Thomas Knox, of Scotland.
Levi Knox Byers was married May 25, 1876, at
East Brady, Pennsylvania, to Jennie Foster.
Their children are: Herbert F.. Lord R.. Car-
dace T. Mr. Byers came to WoodhuU. Illinois,
in 1861, and taught school when eighteen years
of age. He attended Knox College from 1865
to 1869. and in 1869. entered the Law School
at Ann Arbor, Michigan, being admitted to the
Bar of that State in 1872. In 1888. he was ad-
mitted to the Bar of the United States Court.
He was City .attorney at Altona for twenty
years; President of the Town Board; member
of the School Board for six years, and Justice
of the Peace for eight years. He was a mem-
ber of the County committee for twenty years:
nominated twice for County Treasurer, and in
1892. was elected State Senator for the Twenty-
fourth District on the democratic ticket. Mr.
Byers is a democrat, and has always taken an
interest in municipal and county affairs.

CHALLMAN. GEORGE E.; Retired Farmer;
Walnut Grove Township; born December
22. 1825. in Voxna. Norland. Sweden.
where he was educated, and taught the
catechism of the Swedish Established
Church. His parents were natives of the
Province of Halsingland. and, being per-
secuted because of their religious belief, left
Sweden, in 1846. and settled in Henry County.
Illinois. They were the first emigrants of the
"Bishop Hill Colony." a socialistic, theocratic
community, with which they lived for two
years. In 1848-49 ihey lived with the "Puritans"
in Galesburg. March 14. 1850. they started for
California by way of Salt Lake City, where
they heard Brigham Young preach; they were
in the desert July 4. and west of the Sierra
Nevada Mountains in the gold region. July 14.
Mr. Challman left San Francisco July 21. 1851.
on the steamer Oregon, returning east by way
of Central America, and the West Indies, reach-
ing Galesburg in the Fall of 1851. He was mar-
ried to Anna Lind in Knoxville. April 21. 1854.
She came to America from Sweden in connec-
tion with the "John.son party." Her mother
died soon after their arrival, and her father
returned to Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Challman



816



KNOX COUNTY.



have liad four children: Amanda, horn Janu-
ary 21, 1855, died October 16, 1868; Rose A.,
wife of G. Waite Robbing, born May 18, 1S57,
died October 25, 1894; Elizabeth, now Mrs.
Justus A. Larson, living in Victoria Township,
and Hester Matilda, living with her parents.
Mr. Challman is a republican, and has been
several times delegate to the Republican Con-
vention of Knox County. He has held the fol-
lowing offices; School Director for twenty-
seven years; Commissioner of Highways;
School Trustee; and member of the Public
Library Board for Walnut Grove Township.
Mr. Challman is a prominent and influential
man.

CUMMINGS. LEONARD B.; Farmer; Wal-
nut Grove Township; born June 28, 1823, m
Knox County, Maine. He is the son of Suel
and Sophia Cummings, and grandson of Rich-
ard Cummings, who was of Scotch descent. He
was educated in the common schools; came to
Knox County, Illinois, in 1853. He was married
in Copley Township, July 16, 1854, to Celinda,
daughter of A. W. and M. A. Bulkeley. To
them were born eleven children, tour of whom
are now living: Lenora C, wife of O. C. Housel,
Galesburg Illinois; John A., Walnut Grove
Township; Aurelia C, wife of Theodore
Cochen, Jr., Brooklyn. New York; and Grace
C. wife of F. S. Stephenson, Oneida, Illinois.

DAYTON, BENJAMIN; Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township; born in Harpersfleld, Dela-
ware County, New York, March 13, 1834; edu-
cated in the common schools. He is a member
of the Library Board, and has been Assessor.
He came to Victoria, Knox County, in 1854,
and was clerk in a store till 1859. He then be-
gan farming, and in 1863, bought a farm in
Walnut Grove Township, where he now resides,
and upon which he built a fine brick residence
in 1864. Mr. Dayton is a republican, and has
always taken an active part in town affairs.
In religion, he is a Protestant.

GIBSON, PETER: Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township; born in Sweden, June 21, 1829, where
he was educated. He came to America in 1854,
and to Galesburg, Knox County, in 1855, where
he worked by ihe month for several years. He
was married in 1857. to Anna Eng, in Ontario.
They had three children: Oscar, Mary, and
Emma. Mr. Gibson's second marriage was
with Mrs. Carrie Buckley. For five years he
rented a farm in Ontario Township, after which
he bought a farm of eighty acres in Rio Town-
ship, which he sold after four years and bought
a farm near Altona. In religion. Mr. Gibson is
a Baptist, and was clerk of the church for
twenty years. He is a republican in politics,
and for eight years has been a member of the
Town Board, and for many years a member of
the School Board. He is a leading farmer in
his township and interested in all matters per-
taining thereto.

HANSON. CHARLES; Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township: born in Sweden. October 4,
1838, and there educated. He was married to
Ellen Benson, In Galesburg. March 21, 1868.
Their children are: Barnard E.; Huldah A.;



and Henry A., who died in infancy. Mr. Han-
son came to Galesburg in 1864, and farmed
for several years in Warren County. In 1872,
he moved to Oneida, Knox County, and lived
upon Dr. H. S. Hurd's farm for fifteen years.
In 1892, he settled on a farm in Walnut Grove
Township, where he has since been a prominent
man in the locality.

HUBBELL, J. F.; Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township; born June 17, 1830, in Morrow Coun-
ty, Ohio; educated in Knox County. His father,
Manessa, and his mother, Phelina (Buck) Hub-
bell, were born in Seneca County, New York.
Mr. Hubbell was twice married. His first mar-
riage was with Mary Moxsey at Knoxville,
March 16, 1854. His second wife, Mary Kessey
of Macomb, to whom he was married June 13,
1880. Mr. Hubbell was a member of the Meth-
odist church. In politics, he was a republican,
and served for a time as Supervisor. Mr. Hub-
bell died June 29th, 1898.

LARSON, PETER; Retired Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township; born in Sweden, August 10,
1829, where he was educated. He was married to
Hannah Hawkinson. October 13, 1855, at Knox-
ville. Illinois. There were four children: John,
Joshua, Hannah, and Anna. Mr. Larson came
to Knoxville in 1852, and in 1865, bought a farm
on the north line of Walnut Grove Township,
where he farmed till 1892, when he retired, and
moved to Altona. He is a member of the
Lutheran Church.

MAINE, ELIAS B.; Farmer; Altona, Walnut
Grove Township; born in Otsego County, New
York, May 4, 1815. He was the son of Joseph
and Jane (Blanchard) Maine, and the grandson
of Peter Maine, who was of Scotch descent.
When a boy, he learned the wagonmaker's
trade, which he followed for twenty years after
his arrival in Knox County. He came West in
1853 and bought land in Walnut Grove Town-
ship: he afterwards laid out fourteen acres in
village lots, the business center of Altona. In
1835, Mr. Maine was married to Mary A. Hunt-
ington, of Burlington, New York. There were
six children: David E., Rev. Delos S., Mrs.
Ella Stockdale, Mrs. Emma Wisegarver, Joseph
T.. and Charles. Mrs. Mary Maine died in 1887.
and in the following year, Mr. Maine married
her sister, Mrs. Lavinia Butler, who is the
mother of three children by her former mar-
riage. Mr. Maine is a Methodist. In politics,
he is a republican and a prohibitionist, and
holds local offices.

McGAAN, HUGH; Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township; born in January. 1858, in Walnut
Grove Township. He is a son of William Mc-
Gaan. who came from Scotland to Knox
County in 1857. He was a very successful
farmer, and had three sons: William. James
and Hugh. Hugh was married in November.
1885. to Lottie Arnold, of Galesburg; their chil-
dren are: Agnes, Sarah, Susie, Grace and Will-
iam. Mr. Hugh McGaan settled on a part of
the homestead, and is a leading farmer in the
township.

McGAAN, JAMES; Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township: born in Scotland March 22, 1849;



KNOX COUNTY.



817



eilutated in the semiuaiy in Scotland and in
the Altona High School. He is the son of Will-
iam McGaan. of Scotland, who came to Altona
in 1857, and settled in Walnut Grove Township
in 1859. James McGaan lives on the old home-
stead. He was married in Walnut Grove, Janu-
ary 1, 1874, to Susan Collinson, a daughter of
S. L. Collinson. Their children are: Harry,
Henry and Simon. Mr. McGaan is a member of
the Presbyterian Church. In politics, he is a
republican, and has always taken keen interest
in town affairs. He is one of the leading farm-
ers in Walnut Grove Township.

McMASTER, CHAUNCY J.; Merchant; Al-
tona, Walnut Grove Township; born May 19,
1S61, in Walnut Grove Township. He is a son
of John McMaster. He was educated in the
common schools and Galesburg Business Col-
lege. He was married in Walnut Grove Town-
ship, in 1S89, to Ida M., daughter of S. S.
Stukey, who died August 13, 1890. His second
marriage was September 1, 1892, to Ida E.,
daughter of G. W. Sawyer. In 1887, Mr. Mc-
Master, with J M. McKie as partner, bought
the grocery business of J. T. Main at Altona.
Illinois. In 1889, the building and stock was
burned, and the partnership was dissolved. Mr.
McMaster erected another building upon the
same site, where he has conducted a grocery
and hardware business. In 1897, he was ap-
pointed Postmaster. He has been Township
Treasurer; has held other minor offices, and
takes an active part in Township affairs. He
is a member of the Masonic Order. In politics,
he is a republican.

McMASTER. THOMAS; Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township; born April 13, 1843, in
Ayrshire. Scotland. He is a son of John and
Ann McMaster. He was educated in the com-
mon schools. March 19, 1878, he was married
to Sarah E. Hank, in Galesburg. There are three
children: Ida. George and William. Mrs. Mc-
Master is a daughter of Joseph Hank, of Vic-
toria Township. Mr. McMaster settled in Copley
Township in 18.52. and began farming in com-
pany with his brothers. He had but little
property in early life, but he is now one of the
wealthiest farmers in Walnut Grove Township.
He is a republican.

MULTER, JOSIAH; Broker; Walnut Grove
Township; born in Worcester, Otsego County,
New York, April 22, 1824; educated in the com-
mon schools. He was married at Harpersfleld.
Delaware County, New Y'ork. February 17, 1869,
to Anna M. Titus: they had one adopted daugh-
ter, Lucile. Mr. Jlulter was for many years a
prominent citizen of Altona, and for eight years
was Police Magistrate. He was a republican.
Mr. Multer was a prominent member of the
Methodist Church. He died December 16, 1897.

NELSON. FRANK; Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township; born in Galesburg. Illinois, Septem-
ber 17, 1865; educated in the common schools.
He is a son of Swan Nelson, a farmer who
came from Sweden to Galesburg in October,
1851, and settled in Walnut Grove Township in
1867. He had four sons: Henry, living in
Oneida; Frank; Fannie; and Alfred, who is



living on the old homestead. Frank Nelson
began farming in 1890 on Section 1 in Walnut
Grove Township. He was married in Walnut
Grove January 14, 1891, to Johanna Matilda, a
daughter of Carl A. Jacobson. Their children
are: Oliver Phillis, born May 24, 1893; Clarence
Reynolds, born June 16, 1895; and Evan Frank
Eldred, born September 20, 1S9S. Mr. Nelson
attends the Lutheran Church, and was Super-
intendent of Fort Sumpter Sunday School for a
year and a half. In politics, he is a republican.

NELSON, SWAN; Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township; born in Sweden May 13, 1828. He
came to Galesburg in 1851. He married Bengta
Carlson May 26, 1855. Ten children were born
to them: Henry; Frank; Tannie C; Alfred;
Hannah, who married P. P. Nelson; Mary;
Josephine (wife of Rev. John Dahlberg);
Olivia; Amanda; and Emma (Mrs. Frank Gus-
tafson), who died in 1892. In 1857, Mr. Nelson
located in Henderson Township; and in 1868,
removed to Walnut Grove Township, where he
died April 10, 1896. Since his death the farm
has been managed by his sons, Tannie C. and
Alfred. Mr. Nelson was a prominent member
of the Lutheran Church in Altona, of which
all the family are members. In politics, he was
a republican.

SAWYER, CHARLES C; Real Estate and In-
surance; Altona, where he was born March 9,
1867; educated in Altona and in the Galesburg
Business College. He is the son of G. W. Saw-
yer, an early settler from New York, who died
April 2, 1890. Mr. Charles C. Sawyer was mar-
ried in Altona December 25, 1890, to Susan F.
Thompson, a daughter of Daniel Thompson, and
a granddaughter of John Thompson, who was
one of the first settlers of Altona. Their chil-
dren are George E. and Catherine T. Mr.
Sawyer is a Protestant. In politics, he is a
republicau. He has been Town Clerk and Vil-
lage Clerk for six years. In 1898, he was ap-
pointed Supervisor in place of Jonathan F
Hubbell, deceased.

SELLON, ROBERT C; Lumber merchant;
Altona; born in Lynn Township, November 21,
1855; son of Edward Sellon, of England who
came to Lynn Township in IS,?.";. He was a
sailor, farmer, and preacher, and died in De-
cember, 1883. Robert Sellon was educated in
the public schools and in the Davenport Busi-
ness College. He was married to Eva Day at
Galva, Illinois. February 13, 1884. Their chil-
dren are: Abbie L., Hazel E. and Francis D. In
1884, Mr. Sellon began to work in the Hough-
ton Lumber Y'ard at Galva. after which he
came to Altona and sold lumber, coal, and agri-
cultural implements, under the firm name of the
E. W. Houghton Lumber Company. Thev have
several yards on the line of the Chicago, Bur-
lington and Quincy Railroad. Mr. Sellon is a
member of the Presbyterian Church. In poll-
tics, he is a republican, and has been a member
of the Village Board for several vears

SHEAR, DAVID J.; Farmer; Walnut GroTe
Township; born July 27, 1843, in Otsego County
New York. His father, Henry Shear, came to
Knox County in 1857 and settled near Gales-



KNOX COUNTY.



burg, where he lived until 1866, when he
removed to Walnut Grove Township with
his family, and bought a farm, on which
David J. now resides. David J. Shear married
Hannah Bulson in Copley Township, May 14,
1890. He is a republican, and has held the
office of Road Commissioner. He is a member
of the Methodist Church.

STOCKDALE, W. M.; Druggist; Altona, Wal-
nut Grove Township, Illinois; born January 7,
1844, in Elkhart, Indiana. His father was
Thomas Stockdale, of Pennsylvania, and his
grandfather, Hugh Stockdale, came from Ire-
land; his mother, Catherine (Manning), was
born in Ohio. He was educated in the com-
mon schools. At the age of seventeen, he en-
tered the Union Army, and served in the Regi-
ment Band until August 9, 1865, when he came
to Altona to join his father, who had previously
moved there. Mr. Stockdale was clerk in a
drug store there in 1868. In 1888 he opened a drug
store on his own account. He was married in
Altona in 1871, to Ella Main. He has been
Town Clerk, and is a member of the Masonic
Lodge in Altona. He organized, and was leader
of the first band in Altona. Mr. Stockdale is a
republican and has always taken an Interest in
municipal affairs. He is a Protestant.

STUKEY, SIMEON S.; Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township; born in Bedford County,
Pennsylvania, December 8, 1823. His father was
Samuel A. Stukey, of Pennsylvania. He was
married in 1849, to Caroline Border who was of
English descent. They had nine children:
Albert; Edward; Samuel; Augustus; William;
Ella, who married P. M. Gilchrist; Margaret,
who married W. I. Cook; Ida, the wife of
C. J. McMaster; Avis, who married Charles
Mann. Mr. Stukey came to Walnut Grove
Township in 1855, and lived on a farm until
1894, when he retired and moved to Altona. He
built the first house in the north-eastern part of
the township. In religion, Mr. Stukey was a
Presbyterian, and a Trustee in the church for
many years. In politics, he was a republican,
and filled the office of Road Commissioner, and
was a member of the Board of Supervisors for
many vears. Mr. Stukey died August 23, 1898.

SUYDAM. GEORGE V.; Insurance Agent;
Altona; born January 17, 1831, in Greene Coun-
ty, New York; son of Abraham Suydam, a
farmer who settled in Victoria Township in
1852; he was educated in the common schools.
In 1860 George V. went to Pennsylvania and
married Sarah McCalmont. He resided in
Pennsylvania for five years and aft-
er his return to Victoria, his wife died in
186/, leaving two children, George E. and Mary
K. Mr. Suydam went to Altona in 1870 and en-
gaged in the insurance business; he served as
Justice of the Peace for ten years, and was a
member of the Library Board, of the Village
Board, and of the Masonic Order. He married
tor his second wife, Catherine M. daughter of
Henry Sawyer; their only son, Henry S., died
when nine years old. Mr. Suydam is, in poli-
tics, a republican. He is a member of the Pres-
byterian church.



TORNQUIST, JOHN A.; Carriagemaker; Al-
tona, Walnut Grove Township, Illinois; born
November 16, 1874, at Keitsville, Missouri. His
father, John F. Tornquist, was a carriage-
maker near New Windsor, Illinois. Mr. Torn-
quist was educated in the Business College at
Rock Island, Illinois. He was married in New
Windsor, January 25, 1895, to Hannah E. Lind-
strom; their children are Paul A. and Wen-
dell E. Mr. Tornquist learned his trade at his
home in New Windsor, and set up business for
himself in Altona, Illinois, in 1895. He is a
blacksmith and carriagemaker, and turns out
twenty to thirty fine buggies yearly.

WALGREEN, JOHN P.; Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township; born in Sweden December 27,
1848. His father, Nels P. Walgreen, was born in
Sweden and came to America with his father in
1864. John Walgreen was educated in the com-
mon schools. After working by the month, he
settled in Ontario Township, where his father
located in 1866. He was married to Anna Fred-
ericks in Altona, March 28, 1872. Their chil-
dren are: Delphia. Amelia, Mabel, Delia, Laura,
Anna, Fred, and Floyd. Mr. Walgreen was a
successful farmer in Ontario Township until
1897, when he removed to Altona, where he built
a fine residence, and where he is a Director of
the Altona Bank. Mr. Walgreen is a member of
the Lutheran Church. In politics, he is a re-
publican.

WARD, FRANK; Farmer; Walnut Grove
Township; born November 4, 1830, in Litchfield
County, Connecticut; educated in the common
schools. He is a son of Amos Ward, who came
to Knox County in 1838. Amos Ward was
County Commissioner and Justice of the Peace
for many years. Frank Ward was married in
1857, to Masha Eels; they had one child, now
Mrs. M. H. Mather. His second marriage was
in Walnut Grove Township November 9, 1861,
to Cornelia S. Abernethy; their children are;
Fred F., George A. and Edith M. Mr. Ward
is a republican, and an earnest worker in town
affairs. He is a



LYNN TOWNSHIP.

By J. A. Beals.

The northeast township of Knox County is
and will be, because of its location and en-
vironment, a township of farms. In the early
days some effort was made to attract the mer-
chant and mechanic to a point on the south
line, called Centerville (afterward platted as
Milroy), but it failed of success, and there has
never been a postoffice, a church building, or a
village within the limits of Lynn. Galva, Al-
tona, Victoria and Lafayette are near at hand,
and furnish all the trading points required by
the people.

Great is the contrast between the landscape of
to-day, dotted with well-improved farms, with
their commodious dwellings and barns, and
that of 1828, when Michael Fraker, with his



r N T V



81!



family, came to Section 23. to timl tlie tract of
land he had purchased in Kentucky in the pos-
session and occupancy of the Indians. The
braves were away hunting, having left only the
old men. women and children to contest his
claim. So the white man made himself at
home. But the returning hunters disputed his
title, claiming that theirs came from the Indian
God and was long prior to that of the new set-
tler. Mr. Fraker thought diplomacy was bet-
ter than valor. He was adroit; he had tact
and genius, and was kind and helpful. He was
a blacksmith, and could mend their guns. They
took him to their hearts, and helped him build
his cabin, but could see no necessity for his
making tight joints between the logs. But his
trust in his newly-found friends was not wholly
without reservation, — bullets had a better
chance where the cracks were large. They
linally left him their wigwams and council
house, and made new homes at Indian Creek,
seven miles east, returning yearly as friends at



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 172 of 207)