Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 173 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 173 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the sugar season. A granddaughter of Mr.
Fraker says she has heard her grandmother say
that the only white women she saw for four
years were those of her own family, and tho.-se
who came with them. A fairly-sized band of
Indians lived and roamed from Spoon River
to the Mississippi, their trails being distinctly
perceptible long after they had left the coun-
try. A clear, flowing spring on the east sid>j
of Fraker's Grove had trails from all directions
centering there. Some of the early settlers
now living remember the friendly visits of the
chief Shaubena after the Black Hawk War.

Mr. Fraker was a middle-aged man when he
came from Kentucky. He had buried two wives
and was living with his third, and was the
father of twenty-tour children. He was re-
garded as an exemplary Christian, a member
of the Methodist Church, just and kind, and
endowed with qualities that adapted him to
pioneer life and made him serviceable and
agreeable to others. His mechanical talent
was displayed in the construction of a hand
grist mill with two burr stones, of the kind
called hard heads, or pudding stones, found on
the prairies. The upper one was made to re-
volve by means of a pin set in the outer rim.
All of the old settlers that were then boys
and girls remember this primitive contrivance
and were familiar with its working, especially
two daughters of Mr. Fraker, who were not at
all pleased to see the arrival of a grist unless
the owner was to do the grinding. Mr. Fraker



died in 1848, aged seventy-nine years. His
grave is marked with a marble stone and en-
closed by a picket fence, and is situated in the
middle of the road running south from a point
near his early home.

George Fitch, a son-in-law of Mr. Fraker, set-
tled near by soon after the Frakers, and was
the first school teacher and Justice of the
Peace in the settlement. His sou, Luther, is
reported to have been the first white child born
here. The first marriage was that of William
Hitchcock and Julia Fraker. John Essex was
the first settler on Walnut Creek, in 1830. His
wife was the daughter of Jacob Cress, who,
with his family, settled on Section 24, in 1831.
These were the only persons living in Lynn
before the Black Hawk War. During that strug-
gle they went to Forts Clark and Hendersoa
for safety.

About 1834. William Dunbar bought the im-
provements of one of the Frakers on a portion
of Section 13, and entered the land, going to
Galena by wagon, with two yoke of oxen, to
do so. He came from Kentucky, and, being a
hatter by trade, furnished fur hats to the neigh-
borhood, peddling them on horseback. Mrs.
Theodore Hurd says that when she. a girl of
twelve years, came here with her father (Luther
DrLscoU) in 1836, they found twelve families
here, the settlement being known as Fraker's
Grove; not all of it in Lynn, however, as the
east township line ran through the middle of it.

In 183C, on Walnut Creek there were only
John Lafferty, on Section 30; the Montgomery
!)oys, on Section 35; Samuel Aibro iwho was a
soldier of the War' of 1812 and settled on the
land patented to him tor his military service),
on Section 34; John Essex and the Talors, south
of the creek near Centerville; and Hugh and
Barney Frail, on Section 31. Mrs. Hugh Frail
was the pioneer sister of the Gravers and Colin-
sons, who followed, from time to time, settling
that corner of the township. By 1838 the popula-
tion had increased considerably. Jonathan
Gibbs came then, and purchased the Montgom-
ery property on Section 35, where he lived until
his death. He was always a leading man in
the township, a Justice for twenty-five years
and Supervisor for half that period. About
this time also came Elison Annis. who settled
on land patented to him for service in the War
of 1812: Solomon Brooks, John Sisson, Ralph
Hurley and Elder Shaw, all from Ohio anLLINS(K\.

John Spare Collinson was born in Luzerne
County, Pennsylvania, January 28, 1850, the son
of Charles and Catharine A. (Spare) Collinson;
the father was a native of Yorkshire, England,
born May 14, 1826, died January 17th, 1889, at
the age of sixty-two; the mother was born in
Luzerne County, August, 18, 1824, died March
27, 1899. His paternal grandparents, Thomas
and Hannah (Codiin) Collinson, were natives
of Yorkshire; his maternal grandparents,
John and Catharine (Cline) Spare, were born
in Pennsylvania, and were of Dutch descent.

Mr. Collinson's parents were married in
Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, July 18, 1847, and
came to Knox County, October 15, 1852, the trip
requiring thirty-eight days. They settled in
Lynn Township, where they bouglit two hun-
dred acres of land, which they improved and
enlarged. They were industrious and prosper-
ous, and highly respected in the community.
They were members of the Methodist Epis-
copal church. The father was a democrat, and
held local offices. They had eleven children,
ten of whom are now living, six sons and four
daughters, all of whom reside near the old
homestead, excepting one son and one daughter.
There were fifty-three grandchildren and six-
teen great-grandchildren.

Mr. John S. Collinson was raised on the old
homestead, and received his education in the
common schools. January 1, 1872, he married
Mary E. Carver, at the home of the bride's pa-
rents in Lynn Township; seven children were
born to them: Nora A., born August 21, 1873,
died March 7, 1887; Dennis A., born July '20,
1875; Katie R., born March 25, 1879, died Sep-
tember 13, 1895; Wiley A., born August 8, 1882;
Judge T., born July 31, 1884, died March 3,
1886; Cora S., born August 5, 1886; and Grove
C, born July 26, 1888, died December 3, 1889.
Dennis, Wiley and Cora are at the old home
with their parents.

Mrs. Collinson, one of eleven children, was
Ijorn October 13, 1852, and is the daughter of
Thomas and Rebecca (Cameron) Craven, who
came from C!arbondale, Luzerne County, Penn-
sylvania, and settled in Lynn Township in 1856.
They purchased one hundred and sixty acres of
land and afterward bought one hundred and six-
ty acres additional on Section 28. They now re-
side in Altona, Walnut Gi-ove Township. They
are members of the Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Collinson has been very successful. He
has a farm of three hundred acres in Lynn
Township, and eighty acres in Victoria Town-
ship. He is a breeder of fine stock, and is one
of the largest hog raisers in Knox County. He
is one of the directors of the Knox County Fire
Insurance Company, of KnoxviHe, Illinois. He
and his son, Dennis A., are members of the I.
O. 0. F., Lodge No. 511, Altona. Mrs. Collinson
is a member of the Order of Rebeccas. He is a
democrat in politics, and has been School Di-
rector for a number of years.




VA%z^





^



KNOX COUNTY.



.U)H> U. EMEKY.

Johu G. Emery, was born in West Jersey,
Stark County, Illinois, September 24, 1S39. His
parents were Fredericls W., born July 14, 1808.
and Hannah (Gaffney) Emery, born in West-
moreland County. Pennsylvania, in 1814. Hl»
father was of Scotch-English, and his mother of
German descent. They went to Ashland County,
Ohio, where they were married in 1834. They
moved to Fulton County, Illinois, in 1835, and to
Stark County in 1839, where the father died in
1846; his wife died in Galva, Henry County, in
1888.

John G. was next to the youngest in a family
of five children, four sons and one daughter.
His younge.st brother, William E., was killed
at the battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, Decem-
ber 30, 1862. Another brother, David H., was
wounded at the battle of Missionary Ridge in
1864. John G. worked on his mother's farm, and
attended school until he was twenty-one yeara
of age, when he went to Henry County, Illinois.
He was married December 24, 1862, to Ruth
A., daughter of Jacob J. and Fanny (Knable)
Friend. She was born in Fulton County, Penn-
sylvania, March 20, 1844, and was nine years
of age when her parents came to Illinois and
finally settled in Henry County. Her father
was a native of Maryland; he died in 1891. Her
mother is living. Mr. and Mrs. Emery are
the parents of seven children: William E., Fred
W., Charles L., George F., Edwin A., Burtis
C, and RoUin G. Charles L. died in 1869, aged
sixteen months. Burtis C. died March 21, 1899.
Three sons are married: William E., who re-
sides in Wisconsin, and is traveling salesman
for the American Book Company; Fred W., who
is in business at Morris, Illinois; and George
F., who resides at Slater. Missouri, and is Chief
Train Dispatcher for the Chicago and Alton
Railroad. Edwin A. is an electrician. Rollin
G. is at home.

After his marriage, Mr. Emery lived for two
years in Stark County, one year in Henry
County, and two years in Elba Township, Knox
County. In the Spring of 1868, they removed
to Lynn Township, and settled on the north-
east quarter of Section 2. which is their present
home.

In religion, Mr. and Mrs. Emery are Metho-
dists. In politics, Mr. Emery is a republican.
He cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in
1860. He was Supervisor for eight years. Road
Commissioner for six years, and is now serving
his second term as Justice of the Peace.

Mr. Emery is a successful farmer, and a prom-
inent and influential man in the community.

JOH> xMILTON SIPES.

John Milton Sipes was born January 31, 1840,
in Fulton County, Pennsylvania. His father.
General John Sipes, was a farmer, and a son of
George and Catherine Sipes of Pennsylvania.
His mother was Mary (Burton) Sipes of Bed-
ford County. Pennsylvania. General Sipes was
married to Mary, daughter of Noah and Mary
(Crumb) Barton, of New Jersey. General Sipes



represented Bedford County three terms in the
legislature, and was a man of marked ability.
He came to Illinois and settled in Galva in
1857, and died on his farm January 14, 1881, at
the age of eighty-two years.

Mr. J. M. Sipes came to Illinois with his pa-
rents when seventeen years old, and remained
on his father's homestead until his marriage in
Galva, Henry County, December 20, 1876. His
wife, Emma A. Howard, was born in Lawrence
County, Ohio, September 11, 1852. She was the
daughter of O. J. and M. Howard of Ohio, who
came to Illinois in 1865, and lived in Victoria
and Walnut Grove townships, Knox County, and
in Henry County. Illinois, finally locating in
Harvey County, Kansas. Mi-s. Sipes received a
good education, and was a school teacher from
1874 to 1876. The children born to Mr. and
Mrs. Sipes are: John M., born December 25.
1877; William F., born February 20, 1878; Mary
Olive, born March 29, 1S81, died March 5, 1890;
Charles, born January 14. 1883, died January
24, 1883; Ava Jane, born February 20, 1891; and
George Milton, born September 5, 1896. Mr.
Sipes is a member of the Methodist church. In
politics, he is a democrat, and has held many
important offices, including that of Justice of
the Peace for eight years. School Trustee for
the same length of time, Constable, and Collec-
tor of taxes.

Mr. Sipes has a fine farm on Section 2. and is
interested in general farming, the raising of
Holstein cattle, and a high grade of swine. Mr.
and Mrs. Sipes are members of the Home For-
eign Association.

AUSTIN SMITH.

Austin Smith, son of William and Lorinda
(Badger) Smith, was born in Marathon, Cort-
land County, New York, October 16, 1823. His
parents were married in Cortland County. His



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 173 of 207)