Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 18 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 18 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


county in Ohio. The physical conformation is
flat, and the soil rich. The county lies in the
heart of what was once called the "Grand
Prairie." Workable seams of bituminous coal
underlie the surface, but overlying quicksands
interfere witli their operation. The Sangamon
and Kaskaskia Rivers have their sources in this
region, and several railroads cross the county.
The soil is a black muck underlaid by a yellow
clay. Urbana (with a population of 3,540 in
1890) is the county-seat. Other important points
in the county are Champaign (6,000), Tolono
(1,000), and Rantoul (1,100). Champaign and
Urbana adjoin each other, and the grounds of the
Illinois State University extend into each corpo-
ration, being largely situated in Champaign.
Large drifted masses of Niagara limestone are
found, interspersed with coal measure limestone
and sandstone. Alternating beds of clay, gravel
and quicksand of the drift formation are found
beneath the subsoil to the depth of 150 to 300 feet.



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



CHAMPAIGN, HAVANA & WESTERN RAIL-
ROAD. (See Illinois Central Railroad.)

CHANDLER, Charles, pliysician, was born at
West Woodstock, Conn., July 2, 1806; graduated
with the degree of M.D. at Castleton, Vt., and,
in 1829, located in Scituate, R. I. ; in 1832, started
with the intention of settling at Fort Clark (now
Peoria), 111., but was stopped at Beardstown by
the "Black Hawk War," finally locating on the
Sangamon River, in Cass County, where, in 1848,
he laid out the town of Chandlerville — Abraham
Lincoln being one of the surveyors who platted
the town. Here he gained a large practice,
which he was compelled, in his later years, par-
tially to abandon in consequence of injuries
received while prosecuting liis profession, after-
wards turning his attention to merchandising
and encouraging the development of tlie locality
in which he lived by promoting the construction
of railroads and the building of schoolhouses and
churches. Liberal and public-spirited, his influ-
ence for good extended over a large region.
Died, April 7, 1879.

CHANDLER, Henry B., newspaper manager,
was born at Frelighsburg. Quebec, July 12, 1836 ;
at 18 lie began teaching, and later took charge of
the business department of "The Detroit Free
Press"; in 1861, came to Chicago with Wilbur F.
Storey and became business manager of "The
Chicago Times" ; in 1870, disagreed with Storey
and retired from newspaper business. Died, at
Yonkers, N. Y., Jan. 18, 1896.

CHANDLERVILLE, a village in Cass County,
on the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad, 7
miles north bj' east from Virginia, laid out in
1848 by Dr. Charles Chandler, an early settler,
and platted by Abraham Lincoln. It lias a bank,
four churches, a weekly newspaper, a flour and
a saw-mill. Population (1880), 681; (1890), 916.
CHAPIN, a village of Morgan County, at the
intersection of the Wabash and the Chicago,
Burlington & Quincy Railroads, 10 miles west of
Jacksonville. Population (1890), 4.j0.

CHAPPELL, Charles H., railway manager,
was born in Du Page County, 111., March 3, 1841.
With an ardent passion for the railroad business,
at the age of 16 he obtained a position as freight
brakeman on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad, being steadily promoted through the
ranks of conductor, train-master and dispatcher,
until, in 186.5, at the age of 24, he was appointed
General Agent of tlie Eastern Division of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy. Other railroad
positions which Mr. Chappell has since held are :
Superintendent of a division of the Union Pacific



(1869-70) ; Assistant or Divi.sion Superintendent
of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, or some of
its branches (1870-74) ; General Superintendent
of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas (1874-76);
Superintendent of the Western Division of the
Wabash (1877-79). In 1880, he accepted the
position of Assistant General Superintendent of
the Chicago & Alton Railroad, being advanced in
the next three years through the grades of
General .Superintendent and Assistant General
Manager, to that of General Manager of the
entire system, which he has continued to fill for
over twelve years. Quietly and witliout show or
display, Mr. Chappell continues in the discharge
of his duties, assisting to make the system with
which he is identified one of the most successful
and perfect in its operation in the whole country.
CHARLESTON, the county-seat of Coles
County, an incorporated city and a railway
junction, 46 miles we.st of Terre Haute, Ind. It
lies in the center of a farming region, yet has
several factories, including woolen and flouring
mills, broom, plow and carriage factories, a
foundry and a canning factory. Four news-
papers are published here, three of them daily.
Population (1880), 2,867; (1890), 4,135. The East-
ern State Normal School was located liere in 189.5.
CHARLESTON, NEOGA & ST. LOUIS RAIL-
ROAD. (See Toledo, St. Louis



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 18 of 207)