Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 181 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 181 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he managed the mill in Wataga until the Fall
of lSfl.5, when he began to farm on the home-
stead. After his marriage, Mr. Williamson set-
tled near Henderson on a farm of one hundred
and eighty-seven acres, where he is making a
record for industry and thrift.

(iALESBllRU TOWXSHIl'.

,Toseph Rowe, the first settler, took up his
home in the southeastern corner of the town-
ship in 1832 or 1833. Soon after came Isaiah
Smelser, and in 1834 Gaddial Scott and Edward
Morse located on Sections 19 and 3,
respectively. Edward Morse was one of the
Henderson coiony, but settled so far from his
neighbors as to be over the Galesburg line,
away from the timber. He built a tall log cabin,
which could be seen for miles over the level
country, and hence was called the "Lighthouse
of the Prairie."

All the land in the township is very fertile.
There are six ungraded schools, with one hun-
dred and thirty-six pupils. The six school
houses are all frame structures worth about
five thousand seven hundred dollars.

This township comprises now the twenty-
seven sections of Township 11 North, Range
1 East, not included in the limits of the City
of Galesburg.

The city was made a separate town by legis-
lative enactment in 1867.

The township's population (the city, of course,
being excluded), as shown by the United States
Census reports, has varied as follows: In 1860,
it was six hundred and sixty-four; in 1870, eight
hundred and seventy-eight; in 1880, seven hun-
dred and forty-eight; in 1890, seven hundred
and eight.

[For additional facts relative to the history
of this township, the reader is referred to the
article entitled "City of Galesburg."]



HlLAi\D HEJfRV CLAY.

Hiland Henry C;ay, son of John L. and Louisa
M. (Balch) Clay, was born in Chester, Vermont,
January 3, 1838.

His paternal grandfather was Timothy Clay,
who was born in Massachusetts. His paternal
grandmother was Rhoda Lawson, also a native
of Massachusetts. His maternal great-grand-
father was Hart Balch, who was born in Boston.
His maternal great-grandmother's maiden name
was Betsey Green. His maternal grandfather
was Joel Balch, a native of New Hampshire,
and his maternal grandmother was Betsey Ste-
vens.

John L. Clay, the father, came to Knox
County in 1837. He bought four hundred and
eighty acres of land in Galesburg Township, a
part of which has always been known as the
"Clay " homestead. His traveling companions
were Adnah Williams, who founded the "Will-
iams Nursery" on West Main street, and
Stephen Fields. Both Williams and Fields
bought a tract of land. After making their in-
vestments and examining this section of country
thoroughly with a view to future settlement,
they all returned to Vermont. In 1840, Mr.
Clay moved to Illinois with his family, which
consisted of his wife and four children; Alonzo
C, William L., Warren W. and Hiland H. They
lived in Galesburg, then a small village, nearly
one. year, until a house was built on the land
which he had already purchased. This land was
all prairie, very fertile, and became one of the
best farms in Knox County. Here Mr. Clay
lived until he died, reared his family, and by his
industry, became a man of wealth and standing.
He was charitable and kind, a good neighbor
and a fond father. He was liberal minded, a
thorough-going democrat, and was called to fill
several local offices, such as Assessor and Super-
visor.

Mr. Clay married into a very superior family,
intellectually. His wife's maiden name was
Louisa 1\I. Balch, who was born in Andover, Ver-
mont. Her brother, Dr. William S. Balch, was
a Universalist clergyman, and one of the great-
est orators and debaters in the denomination
to which he belonged. Mrs. Clay was a strong,
intellectual woman. She had a versatile mind,
was well informed, and always manifested true,
motherly instincts in her family. Her neigh-
bors gave her the name of being a kind hearted
woman, ministering to the sick and needy as
circumstances seemed to require.

Major H. H. Clay inherited some of the char-
acteristics and mental qualities of his mother.
He was educated in the common schools, fin-
ishing with a short course in Lombard Univer-
sity. He is thororghly posted in the events of
the day, and has been a prominent citizen in
the community in which he has lived ever since
he has arrived at manhood. He was raised on
the farm and farming has been his occupation
through life. His homestead embraces four
hundred and twenty acres of most excellent land
and he is regarded as one of the best practical
farmers of Knox County. During th"e Civil
War, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Sec-




V:^9ft::^



K i\ ( » .\ ( ( > U M '!' \



onil Regiment Ulinoi.s Volunteers, and remained
in service until its close. He participated in
many hard fought battles, such as Reseca, New
Hope Church, Peachtree Creeli and siege of At-
lanta. On entering the army he was chosen
First Lieutenant of his company, and within
four months thereafter, was commissioned as
Captain. In December, 1S64, he rose to the rank
of Major, and commanded his Regiment until
the close of the war.

As a soldier. Major Clay was a good discipli-
narian, prompt and intelligent, and a. ways won
the respect and confidence of his command.
His regiment saw the most active service after
May 1, 1864. fhey were engaged in battle in
the siege of Chattanooga and Atlanta nearly
one hundred days. They remained in this
vicinity until November 15, when they entered
the great army under General Sherman in that
ever memorable "march to the Sea." Major
Clay's regiment participated in the Grand
March in Washington and was mustered out.
June 6, 1865. disbanding in Chicago.

As a man and citizen. Major Clay has had an
honorable career. He is a man of strict integ-
rity, sound judgment, and has a well stored
mind. He is not fastidious or squeamish, or
burdened with the conventionalties of life. Hp
goes straight forward to his labors and duty.
and leaves to others the freedom he himself en-
joys. He is broad in his views, liberal in his
dealings, and charitable toward all. In poli-
tics. Mr. Clay is a consistent and unswerving
democrat. All his life 'he has been identified
with that party. He has held several township
oflBces. In 1877 he was elected Supervisor,
which office he filled most acceptably.

Major Clay was married October 14, 1878, to
Jennie E. Clay, daughter of James and Char-
lotte T. (Orcutt) Clay, residents of Gaysville,
Vermont.

To them were born six children: Fred C,
John L., Walter T., Irving H.. Marion and Rob-
erts M.

COO.LIDGE. JAMES H.; Farmer; Galesburg
Township: born August 25, 1838, in Watertown,
Massachusetts; educated in the common
schools. His parents were John and Mary
(Bond) Coolidge of Watertown, Massachusetts.
He was married to Ellen F. Brown in New
Hampshire, January 1. 1862. They have nine
children: Lottie E., who married David Will-
iams, and died in 1895; John, James H., Jr., Ar-
thur E., Nellie, Walter, Josephine, Edgar D. and
Edna L. Mr. Coolidge came to Knox County in
1874, and settled on Main street, west of Gales-
burg. He is engaged in general farming, dairy-
ing and the breeding of thoroughbred Holstein
cattle. His ancestors came from England to
Watertown about the year 1700. Mr. Coolidge
is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics,
he is a republican.

DERBY, FRANCIS THOMAS; Farmer; Gales-
burg Township; born, July 10, 1822, at And-
over, Vermont; educated in the common
schools of Vermont, His parents, Nathan B.
and Betsey (Thomas) Derby, and his paternal
grandparents, Nathan and Nancy (Thompson!



Derby, came from Massachusetts; his great-
grandfather, Nathan Derby, was born in Eng-
land. Nathin B. Derby moved from Massachu-
setts to Andover, Windsor County, Vermont, in
1821, and died in 1880. Mr. F. T. Derby was mar-
ried in New York City, October 7, 1852, to Anna
Thompson, Their children are: Frank W..
William N., Eddie T., Ella and Mary. Mr. Derby
is a republican.

FELT, EDWARD A.; Drover and Farmer:
Galesburg Township, where he was born Feb-
ruary 20, 1860. His father, Charles M. Felt,
and his granilfather, Peter Felt, came from
Massachusetts; his great-grandfather was
George A. Felt. Mr. C. M. Felt came to Knox
County in 1842. and located first near Cherry
tJrove. He had twelve children: Charles M,.
Seth H., Austin V., Albert, Edward A., Harry,
deceased; Mary, Adaline, Clarissa, Elsie, Helen
and Kate. The father died February 21, 1897.
He had been Supervisor of the township for
fourteen years. Mr. E. A. Felt was married to
Kmma G. Stringham, in Galesburg, February 24.
1881. He now lives in the homestead where
his father settled in 1858. He is a republican,
and was elected Town Supervisor in 1892. which
office he has held toi the present time. He has
(Iso been Road Commissioner, Assessor and
School Director.

GARWOOD, JONATHAN C: Farmer and
Stock-raiser; Galesburg Township; born in 1826
in Ohio: educated in the common schools of
Michigan. His parents were William Garwood
of Ohio and Mary (Thatcher) Garwood of Ken-
tucky. He was married in Knoxville, Illinois.
October, 1852. to Mary Churchill, daughter of
Lewis and Mary (Churchill) Weeks, who came
to Galesburg in 1841. She was born May IS.
1832, at Sheldon, New York. Two children were
born to these parents, Mamie E. ; and Martha,
who died at the age of six years. In politics.
Mr. Garwood is a republican.

GEORGE, JOHN W.; Farmer: Galesburg
Township; born August 19. 1836, in Ohio, where
he was educated in the common schools. His
parents were Thomas George of Ohio, and Mary
(Gorsuch) of Maryland; his paternal grand-
l)arents were Presbyterians from Ireland; his
maternal grandparents were Norman and Kit-
turah Gorsuch of Maryland. Mr. George was
married March 9, 1862, in Hancock County, Illi-
nois, to Mary E. Younger, who was a native of
Ohio. Their children are: Charles C, .John E..
Minnie D., Lulu B.. Mary Blanche and Florence.
In politics he is a republican and has held va-
lious township ofl^ces.

GRIFFITH. MORRIS; Farmer; Galesburg
Township; born Febn.ary 17, 1836, in Fayette
County, Pennsylvania: educated in the common
schools. He was mairied to Elizabeth Har-
mony, at Knoxville, Illinois, December 27, 185i'.
They have six children: Herbert R., William
E., Arthur A., Frank M., Etta 0. (Mrs. George
C. Hutson, Jr.) and Jessie A. Mr. Griffith wa.s
the son of Able Griffith, who came from Ohio
to Knox County in 1852. He settled in Cedar
Township and followed for many years the occu-
pation of farming; he died in 1875. leaving five



856



K K X t; O U j; T Y



sons and three daughters: John, William,
George, Howard M., Morris, Anna E., Mary E.
and Frances Belle. In 1859, Mr. Griffith built
a house on a part of a tract of land purchased
by his father in Galesburg Township, where he
still follows his chosen occupation of farming.
In religion, Mr. Griffith is a Presbyterian. In
politics, he is a republican, and was Highway
Commissioner for seven years, and has held the
office of School Director.

GUM, CHARLES D.; Farmer; Galesburg
Township, where he was born September 12,
1S66, and where he received his education in the
common schools. His father, Jacob D. Gum.
was born in Sangamon County, Illinois; his
mother, Minerva (Montgomery) Gum, was
born in Spencer County, Indiana. His paternal
grandparents, John B. and Casander (Dills)
Gum were natives of Kentucky. Mr. Gum was
married March 18, 1891, to Ellen Eckuaui, in
Knoxville, Illinois. They have three children,
Edwin, Bessie and Grace. Mr. Gum is a repub-
lican.

JOHNSON, DANIEL; Galesburg Township:
born in bweden March 23, 1838. where he was
educated in the common schools. He has been
three times married; first to Charlotte Wahi-
strom, who died and left three children, Peter.
Mary and Victor; his second wife was Emma
Johnson, who died and left two children, Jen-
nie and August; his present wife was Clara P..
Larson. They have one child, Arthur. Mr.
Johnson is a member of the Lutheran Church,
He came from Sweden in 1869, and for some
time worked for the Chicago, Burlington and
Quincy Railroad; he afterwards followed coal
mining for fifteen years. In 1886 he began
farming on Section 35, Galesburg Township,
where he still resides. He is regarded as one of
the substantial farmers of the southeastern part
of the township. In politics, Mr. Johnson is a
republican.

MAIN, C. A.; Farmer; Galesburg Township:
born November 19, 1833, in Otsego County, New
York. He was married to Harriet Mosher in
New York, March 16, 1880. They have three
children: Earl T., Harry E., Frances M. Mr.
Main came with his father to Knox County in
1854 and lived in Oneida three years before com-
ing to Galesburg where he worked as brakeman
for eighteen months. He was freight conductor
for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Railroad Company for ten years and
passenger conductor twelve years. In 1869
he bought the farm on which he now lives and
for a time combined farming with road work.
Mr, Main is a republican and has held several
township offices. He was Highway Commis
sioner for seventeen years. School Director for
twenty years, and is a member of the Board of
Directors of Knox County Agricultural Society.
He is.an Odd Fellow and a Charter Member ot
the Lodge. In religion. Mr. Main is a Methodist.

NELSON, NELS X.; Farmer; Galesburg
Township: born in Sweden in 1840. where he
was educated. He wag married to Benta Palm,
in 1863, in Sweden. Their children are: John
X., David E,. Frans Joseph and Nels W. Mr,



Nelson came from Sweden to Galesburg in 1872,
and for some time worked by the month. In
1880 he began farming for himself, and is now
a thrifty farmer on Section 33, Galesburg Town-
ship. In religion, Mr. Nelson is a Lutheran.
He is a republican.

PADEN, JAMES; Farmer and Stockman;
Galesburg Township; born June 17, 1827, in
Crawford County, Pennsylvania; educated in
the common schools. His parents were Isaac
Paden of Pennsylvania and Celia (Fish) Paden
of New York. Mr. Paden was married to Mar-
tha Edgar in Galesburg in 1851. They have one
child, Alonzo F., living in Galesburg Township.
Mr. Paden is a republican and was Supervisor
for several years,

KNOX TOWXSHIF.

By O. L. Campbell.

Knox Township, as described in the United
States Government Survey, is Number II
North, Range 2 East. Its surface is a level
piairie and its soil is as fertile as any in the
county. Excellent natural drainage is afforded
by Court and Haw Creeks, with the numerous
streams tributary to them. The first named
crosses the township from east to west; the
latter cuts it in the southwest corner. Origi-
nally about one-third of Knox was covered with
timber, and although most of the growth has
been cleared away, there is yet a considerable
amount standing along the banks of the water
courses. The early history of the township
is interesting, but is virtually identical with
that of Knoxville, which is related in the suc-
ceeding pages. That city, for many years the
county seat, and Randall, are the only towns
of importan:;e. Lake George and Highland
Park, favorite pleasure resorts for the people
of Galesburg, are within its limits, [See Lake
George.]

Highland Park is situated in Section 18.
a mile east of the city limits of Gales-
bui-g. It is under private management, which
has arranged the grounds for the accommoda-
tion of picnic parties and keeps boats for hire
upon the numerous small lakes with which the
park is dotted, and in the neighborhood of which
aie large brick yards. A street car line runs
out from the city, and the place is well patron-
ized in summer. Ice is cut in considerable
quantities from the little ponds and there are
several large ice houses in the vicinity.

The chief industry of the township is farm-
ing, although brick is extensively manufactured
in that part adjacent to Galesburg. [See Brick
Making.!



KNOX cor N



RANDALL.

This village stands on the north halt of Sec-
tion 15. It was laid out on November 8,
1890, by C. B. Randall, and owes its existence to
the phenomenal growth of the brick making
industry and the completion of the Santa Fe
line to Chicago. The population numbers
about eight hundred and is composed chiefly of
employes o£ the brick yards. In 1892 the rail-
road company changed the name of its station
to East Galesburg. but that of the town re-
mained the same as at first.

Randall supports two churches. Christian and
Methodist Episcopal, a good school and a
weekly newspaper.

The Christian Society was organized January
1. 1894, with eighty-six members, and may be
rightly said to be the result of evangelistic work
done by Rev. .1. M. Morris and Elder .1. G. Rowe.
It is a mission of the Galesburg Church, which
erected an edifice costing twelve hundred dol-
lars in 1893. The present membership is sixty,
and the Sunday school attendance sixty-five. T,
1^. Rowe is Superintendent.

The Methodist Episcopal denomination or-
ganized its church here a few years ago and
built a house of worship costing three thousand
dollars. There are twenty-seven communi-
cants, and fifty pupils in the Sunday school.
There is no settled pastor.

The East Galesburg Tribune was established
ill 1892. and is issued every Saturday from thf
presses of the Galesburg Plaiudealer, by Karl R.
Haggenjos, who is both editor and publisher.
It is a seven column folio, and democratic in
politics.

The Knights of Pythias and Modern Wood-
nun of America are well represented in the vil-
lage. East Galesburg Lodge 46, K. of
P., was organized with forty- five charter mem-
bei-s, and has a present membership of forty-six.
■l"he first officers were .1. Stickels, C. C; J. \V.
Yard, V. C; F. Parkins, P.; .1. H. Potter, K. of
R. and S.; J. E. Hebard, M. of A.; C. J. Nibel.
M. of F. Present officers, H. B. Corbin, C. C:
.1. Underwood, V. C: J. Bushong, P.; J. H. Pot-
ter. K. of R. and S. Meets at Robbfns and Grau-
vil's store.

The East Galesburg Camp of Modern Wood-
men was established August IG, 1894, with
eleven members. Its present membership is
forty-one. Maets in K. of P. Hall. First offi-
cers: J. L. Rowe, V. C; John V. Barmore.
Clerk. Present officers: A. P. Melton, V. C;
.lohn F. Barmore. v'lerk.



Ki\OXVlLLK.

By O. L. Campbell.

Knoxville is located on the southern quarter
of Section 28 North, Range 2 East,
Knox County, and was laid out August
7, 18;J0, by Parnach Owens. The town was first
called Henderson, but in 1833 was given Its
present appellation, both county and town be-
ing named in honor of General Knox, of Revo-
lutionary fame. Its location, on the divide be-
tween the Mississippi and Illinois rivers, on the
east and west, and smaller streams on the north
and south, renders the site a most desirable one
foi- a city of homes: salubrious, healthful and
pleasing.

The town's early his-tory is full of interest.
The first settler was Perry Morris, who, in 1829,
located on what is known as the east side of the
present city. He afterwards sold his farm to
Captain John Charles. John Montgomery and
Dr. Hansford came soon after. The last named
was the first physician, and his daughter, Mrs.
Grace Shock, was the first female child born in
Henderson. John Moore Bartlett was the first
boy. In 1832, John G, Sanburn brought a stock
of goods here. Down to the time of his death
he was a prominent figure in the town's his-
tory. He was Knoxville's first postmaster and
held many important county and government
positions, including that of the first Circuit and
County Clerk. He died April 14. 1865. Henry
Runkle came in 1833, his brother Eldred in 1834
and another brother, Cornelius, in 183K. These
brothers have been closely identified with the
development and history of the town from the
date of its organization. Henry owned the
first mill in the settlement. He died in 1852.
and his brother, Eldred, who was associated
with him in mercantile business, died in 1865.
Cornelius Runkle is still an honored and re-
spected resident of this city. Rev. Jacob Gum,
a Baptist minister, was Knoxville's first
preacher. His son, John B. Gum, came to the
township in 1839. He left a numerous progeny,
who have become influential citizens. Daniel
Fuqua came here in 1834, and for sixty-three
years has been prominent in town and muni-
cipal affairs. The family is a prolific one, num-
bering one hundred and thirteen, including ten
children, sixty-eight grandchildren and thirty-
three great-grandchildren. He finds his great-
est pleasure now In the family reunions of
!iis descendants. Judge R. L. Hannaman lo-
cated here in 1836. Although for a time he was
engaged in mercantile pur.suits, it was as an at-



858



KNOX COUNTY.



torney that he was best known. For many
years he was the leading lawyer of the county,
and always known as the firm friend of the
poor and distressed. The first sale of lots took
place in 1831. when those upon which the offi-
ces of the Republican now stand brought over
three thousand dollars.

From the time of its organization until 1872.
Knoxville was the county seat of Knox County.
[See Court House.] The Knoxville of to-day is
a model residence town, its citizens being a
community of educated and refined people, with
whom it is a pleasure to reside. It has excep-
tionally good educational advantages, electric
lights, electric street railway and a splendid
system of waterworks. Here also are situated
the County Fair Grounds and the County Alms-
house. [See Almshouse.] Its people always
point with especial pride to the city's excellent
private and public schools.

EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS.

First in importance is St. Mary's School, or-
ganized as Ewing Female Seminary, in 1859.
This institution was opened on Monday in
Easter week. 1868, and after the destruction of
the building and contents by fire, on .lanuary
4, 1833, was reopened January 31, in St. Aus-
garius College building. The new structure
was begun in April, occupied in October, and
has twice been enlarged. The limit of its
capacity (one hundred pupils) has been reached.
St. Mary's is an incorporated institution, the
Board of Trustees representing the City of
Knoxville and the three diocesses of the Pro-
testant Episcopal Church in Illinois. The build-
ings, grounds, furniture and apparatus are val-
ued at one hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Of this amount about fifty thousand dollars were
given and bequeathed by the late Hon. James
Knox. , The house is constructed of the best
materials — stone, brick, iron and slate — and the
interior is finished with southern pine. The
plans are the result of thirty years' experience
in school management and construction, and
for adaptation to both sanitary and educational
purposes are unsurpassed. St. Mary's Church,
built of stone, is a fine specimen of Gothic ar-
chitecture, and connected with the school build-
ing by a cloister of rare beauty. Among the
contents of the sacred edifice are a fine pipe or-
gan, memorial windows and other gifts.

The provision made in the school for astro-
nomical study is very complete, the apparatus
and equipment having cost more than three



thousand dollars. The Observatory is of brick,
surmounted by a dome sixteen feet in height,
with transit room adjoining. The telescope i.-^
an equatorial refractor, mounted with clock
work, having a six-inch object glass of Alvin
Clark and Sons' manufacture. The transit is
a very fine instrument, made by Messrs. Fautli
and Company. Personal attention is given to
every pupil, and religious and semi-parental in-
fluences accompany the daily work and discip-
line. It is the aim of the school to prepare
its pupils for responsible positions in life, and
to adorn the family and social circle not only
with intellectual culture, but also with graceful
manners, refined tastes and Christian character.
One special feature of the administration is that
St. Mary's continues under the rectorship and
care of Rev. C. W. Leffingwell, D. D., who
founded the school in 1868. Thirty years of ex-
perience, with a record of successful work, cou-
stiiute a strong assurance of safe and wise man-
agement for the future. The following are the
officers and teachers of the institution: t The
Rev. Charles W. Leffingwwell, D. D., Logic and
Psychology, Civics; the Rev. Edward H. Rudd.
S. T. D., Chaplain, Latin, Greek, Natural
Science; Nancy Meneeley Hitchcock, M. A..
Principal Emeritus; Emma Pease Howard.
Principal, Literature, Rhetoric and German;
Mrs. Leffingwell. Vice Principal; Mrs. E. H.
Rudd, French. Italian, History; Emily Seamaus.
Mathematics and Latin; Charlotte W. Campbell.



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 181 of 207)