Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 182 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 182 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


English; .lessie M. Leath, Director of the Stu-
ilio; Mrs. Helen Carlton-Marsh, Vocal Music.
Mary Harriet Howell, Biology, Physical Train-
ing; William H. Sherwood. Chicago, Visiting
Director of Music; Eleanor Sherwood, Resident
Director of Music; Susan Bertha Humston, Or-
ganist, Assistant in Piano and Harmony; Will-
iam H. Cheesman. Violin and Guitar; Mrs.
Francis H. Sisson, Elocution; Charlotte Cooper.
Preparatory Department; Louise Nicholas, Ma-
tron; John F. Somes, Curator.

St. Alban's Academy was founded by Rev.
Dr. Leffingwell in 1890. The property on which
it stands had been originally occupied by a
Swedish-American college, which was largely
indebted to Hon. James Knox, who gave thir-
teen thousand dollars toward the erection ot
the building. After five years, the embryo col-
lege had ceased to exist, and the property re-
verted to the City of Knoxville. In 1894, Di.
Leffingwell leased the school to Colonel A. H.
Noyes, the present Superintendent, who had
been a member of Its original teaching staff, and



KNOX COUiN'l'Y.



who ably discharged the duties of Superinten-
dent for five years. The main building is a four-
story brick structure, with a mansard roof and
stone basement. It will accommodate fifty pu-
pils, besides masters, matrons and attendants.
In its enlargement and improvement strict at-
tention has been given to the securing of the
best sanitary conditions. Water supply, drain-
age, ventilation, light and heat are all of the
best, and the appliances therefor are all of the
most modern type. The recitation, class and
assembly halls and chambers are well lighted,
large and lofty, and admirably arranged for the
combination of school and home comforts. In
1898, Phelps Hall was erected, the beautiful
frame building for younger boys. Chief among
the institution's many attractions and improve-
ments is the new gymnasium and armory. The
main room of this building is seventy by forty
feet, with a ceiling twenty feet above the floor,
finished in Georgia pine, and thoroughly
equipped with modern gymnastic appliances.
In winter it is used as a drill hall and for in-
door athletic games, as well as for social en-
tertainments. The chapel, a wooden building
in the Gothic style of architecture, having a
seating capacity of two hundred, stands on the
grounds near the main building. An addition
has recently been made to the latter, enlarging
the number of recitation rooms and sleeping
apartments. The academic staff is as follows:
Rev. C. W. Leffingwell, D. D.. Rector and
Founder: Arthur H. Noyes, B. A.. Superinten-
dent; Rev. Francis Mansfield. M. D., M. A..
Chaplain; Charles A. Adams, B. A.. Sciences:
Nelson Willard, B. A., Classics; John Harris,
Booge, Primary Department; .1. Grant Beadle,
Drawing and Architecture. Penmanship; Mrs.
A. H. Noyes. Vocal and Instrumental Music;
Miss S. E. Hayden, Studio Director; Mrs. E. M.
Harrison, Matron; Miss Lutie Booge, Matron
Phelps Hall.

Knoxville has an admirable public school sys-
tem, with two good buildings. The first was
erected in 1876, at an outlay of eighteen thou-
sand, five hundred dollars: the second was fin-
ished in 1896, the cost being about seven thou-
sand dollars. Both tuildings are modern in
construction, well arranged and have a fine
equipment, including a large and well selected
library. The corps of teachers embraces only
experienced and capable instructors. They are
as follows: Principal. W. F. Jones: Assistants,
Eighth grade, Emma Mowery; Seventh, Joseph-
ine Mcintosh; Sixth. Amanda C. Ughtner:



Fifth, Nellie Evans; Fourth, Lodena McWill-
iams; Third, Belle Sanford; Second, Mary A.
Parmenter; primary grade. Flora Smith,
teacher of vocal music, M. B. Parry.

CHURCHES.

The first religious denomination to form an
organization in Knoxville was the Methodist
Episcopal, which has held regular services since
1831. The Free Methodists have also held
services in the city for several years, but have
no house of worship. The African Methodist
Episcopal Church owns a church building and
a parsonage, but the membership is small.

St. John's Episcopal Church was organized in
1S43, and erected an edifice, costing two thou-
sand, five hundred dollars, in 1867. The
building is now used as a chapel for St. Alban'.-;
Academy. The congregation embraces sonii
Keventy-five communicants, and the Sunday
school membership is about one hundred and
twenty-five, including the pupils of the Acad-
emy who attend. A handsome chapel is also
connected with St. Mary's Academy, of which
mention has been already made.

The Swedish Lutherans formed a church in
1853, which is still in existence and holds regu-
lar services.

The present Presbyterian Church of Knox-
ville was organized in 1870, by the union of the
"old" and "new" school branches of that de-
nomination, under the pastorate of Rev. D. G.
Bradford. Rev. W. H. Mason is the present
pastor, and the church is in a flourishing con-
dition.

The former "old school" Presbyterian house
of worship is now occupied by the Christian So-
ciety, which was organized in 1871 and pur-
chased the building from its former owners.

FRATERNAL ORGANIZATIONS.

Illinois Council No. 1. R. and S. M., was or-
ganized March 11, 18.52, under a dispensation
granted from Kentucky. Its first officers were:
T. .T. G. M., William A. Seaton; Deputy T. J.
G. M., G. C. Lanphere; P. C. W., Harmon G.
Reynolds; J. G. C. G., I. M. Wilt; I. G. S., I.
Gulihur: Recorder, J. W. Spaulding; Treasurer,
William McMurtry; Stewards, F. Mason and
B. F. Hebard.

Rabboni Chapter, No. 95, R. A. M., was insti-
tuted October 5, 1856. Its first oflflcers were:
James McCracken, H. P.; Alvah Wheeler, K.;
Adam Brewer, Scribe.

Pacific Lodge. No. 66, A. F. and A. M., was



860



KNOX COUNTY.



organized in 1896, by uniting Pacific Lodge No.
400 and Knoxville Lodge No. 66. E. T. Eads
was the first W. M., and E. Codding, Secretary.

Knoxville Lodge, No. 126. A. O. U. W., was
organized September 80, 1878. Dr. G. S. Chal-
mers was the first M. W.

Knox Lodge, S. K. of A., was organized in
1887, and is now in a flourishing condition.

The Knoxville Lodge of the Modern Woodmen
of America was organized in 1888 and is now
the largest fraternal organization in the city,
numbering one hundred and thirteen members.
The Royal Neighbors, a branch of this order
which admits women, was organized In 189G,
with J. A. Westfall as its first presiding officer.

Knoxville Home Forum, No. 586, was organ-
ized April 18, 1896, and now has a membership
of fifty. O. L, Campbell was the first presi-
dent of the organization,

Horatio Lodge, No, 362, K. of P., was organ-
ized in 1892, and has sixty members. Hon. A.
M. Parmenter, the Mayor of the City, is its pro-
siding oflicer,

A Temple of Honor was recently established,
with Dr. L. Becker as presiding officer.

OTHER ORGANIZATIONS.

The Knox County Old Settlers' Association,
whose composition is indicated by its title,
holds annual meetings at Gilbert's Park, Knox-
ville, which are very largely attended and ar,e
a source of great pleasure, besides promoting a
friendly feeling among the members. Hon. H.
M. Sisson is President, and O. L. Campbell, Sec-
retary.

The Knox County Agricultural Board was or-
ganized in 1856, at Knoxville, and since that
date has only once failed to hold a yearly meet-
ing. The object of the organization is to pro-
mote the educational and other interests of the
farmers of the county. The impetus which has
been imparted to agriculture by this long series
of annual gatherings has proved of the utmo'st
benefit. The present officers are: President,
Hon. J. F. Latimer, of Abingdon; Vice Presi-
dent, Hon. H. M. Sisson, of Galesburg; Secre-
tary, O, L, Campbell, of Knoxville.

BANKS.
The first banking facilities of Knoxville were
afforded by James Knox, as early as 1850, if not
before, who received deposits and drew bills of
exchange on New York for the accommodation
of his customers. The transactions, however.



were, in a sense, irregular, Mr. Knox having
no established bank and being prompted chiefly
by a desire to oblige his friends and neighbors,
.lehial B. Smith started a private bank in 1850,
and seven years later T. J. Hale became his
partner, but before the outbreak of the Civil
War the business was discontinued and the
bank closed.

In 1853, Mr. Knox was sent to Congress, leav-
ing the management of his affairs in the hands
of Cornelius Runkle, who thus gained his first
insight into the principles and usages of bank-
ing. On May 1, 1857, he, in connection with his
brother, Elbert Runkle, opened a private bank,
which they conducted until 1865, in which year
they organized the First National Bank, with a
paid capital of sixty thousand dollars, Corne-
lius Runkle was President, and John Babbing-
ton, Cashier. The stockholders were James
Knox, G. A. Charles, John Eads, Miles Smith,
X. M. Craig, John Cams, and the Runkle
brothers. The bank was successful from the
start, doing a large and profitable business; and
when it was finally wound up, in 1865, it had a
surplus of sixty thousand dollars.

Upon the closing of the First National, the
Farmers' National Bank came into existence,
with F. G. Sanburn as President, and C. G.
Smith, Cashier. It, too, had a capital of sixty
thousand dollars. This has since been increased
to one hundred and sixty thousand dollars. The
|)resent officers are J. Z. Crane, President, and
H. J. Butt, Cashier. The bank's surplus is
twelve thousand dolUrs, and its deposits and
loans each about one hundred thousand dollars

A private bank was opened in 1890, by J. M.
N'isley. Its capital is about thirty thousand dol-
lars, and deposits and loans amount to about
forty thousand dollars.

THE PRESS.

The first newspaper to be published was the
Knoxville Journal, the first issue of which ap-
peared October 5, 1849. Its proprietors were
John S. Winter and David Collins, and the edi-
torial management was able. It was neutral in
politics. Starting as a six column folio the
number of columns was increased to seven, on
July 9, 1850, and to eight. May 6, 1851. On
January 13, 1852, Mr. Winter retired. Mr. Col-
lins continued to be the sole proprietor until
March 2, 1855, when he sold out to John Regan.
Under the new control the paper soon became
democratic, and after a few years was discon-




^. /^. ^^^^^^^^^-^




BRAINARO HUG(a>S.

David Brainard Huggins was born in Ver-
mont, August 31, 1824. His father, David Hug-
gins, was a farmer, and his mother's maiden
name was Cynthia Bartless.

His father came from Vermont to Knox
County in 1834, and settled in Knoxville, wliere
he lived until his death in 1851. At the
time of his arrival in Knoxville, only
.seven families had preceded him and
were located there. In 1836. at the first
Foiirth-of-.July celebration at Knoxville, his
father superintended the dinner for the crowd.
He was a kind-hearted and generous man, and
aided much in the development of the town and
county in which he lived. In his religious
views he was a Congregationalist. and held the
office of Deacon for a number of years. While
living in Vermont, he was Justice of the Peace
for twenty years, and served in the same ca-
pacity for :everal years in Knox County.

D. B. Huggins' boyhood was passed on the
farm. His opportunities for education were lim-
ited, but he availed himself of the instruction
afforded in the common school and acquired
therein a good, practical, business education. He
was brought up a farmer and has followed the
occupation of farming and stock-raising all hi.s
lite. He discontinued the business in 1892 and
now is retired.

Mr. Huggins has shown himself a public
spirited man. He vi^as largely instrumental in
the establishment of the street car line between
Galesburg and Knoxville. He headed the sub-
hcription list with one thousand dollars, and
raised most of the money required by hard
personal work. Furthermore, he gave bond for
ten thousand dollars, to insure its completion.
The speakers, on the occasion of the openin.g
of the road, made honorable mention of these
facts, and the street car company recognized
these services by placing in the hands of Mr.
Huggins the first spike to be driven, plated with
gold.

Mr. Huggins has shown a disposition to aid in
every good cause. For many years, he has been
greatly interested in the Knox County Fair.
Year after year, the general superintending of
the grounds was intrusted to his care — a work
in which he showed great judgment and effi-
ciency. He made also liberal contributions, as
the needs of the Fair seemed to demand.

Mr. Huggins has not been a great traveler.
He has visited several States, but has never been
abroad. He went to California in 18.5.5, by
water, and was moie than a month on his way.
While there, he took charge of a City Hospital
in San Jose.

As a man, Mr. Huggins is quiet and unassum-
ing, and is free from the pride of ostentation.
He has lived a harmonious life, and has always
been regarded as a good neighbor and a good
citizen. His kindness of heart and his deeds of
charity are an index of the man. and his habits
of industry and perseverance will ever com-
mend him as a worthy citizen.

In religious faith, Mr. Huggins is a Presbyte-
rian. Both he and his wife became members of



that church in 18G8, and for more than thirty



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 182 of 207)