Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 189 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 189 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


agement, and strict economy, he has become
the possessor of several farms and much stock.
He has six children, and to each of his sons, as
they settle in life, he gives a farm provided with
the necessary equipments. Mr. Arthur Wyman
has one hundred and sixty acres of land; he is
a successful farmer and interested in the
progress of the community in which he lives.
In politics, Mr. Wyman is a republican, and was
for some time a School Director.

WYMAN, EDWARD J.; Farmer; Persifer
Township; born January 10, 1833, in Vinton
County, Ohio, where he was educated. His
paternal grandfather, John Wyman, was a na-
tive of New York and died in Ohio in 1839, at
the age of seventy-six. His father, Arthur
Wyman, was born February 5, 1807, and came
from Steuben County, New Y'ork; his mother,
Anna Salts, born June 1, 1807, was a native of
Ross County, Ohio. Arthur Wyman came to
Knox County with his family of nine children in
1853. They sailed down the Ohio River from
Pomeroy, Ohio, and up the Mississippi and Il-
linois rivers to Peoria and thence by wagon to
Knox County, where he bought three hundred
and twenty acres of land. He was one of the
United Brethren, and was instrumental in
building the first log school house in the



district. He died in 1876; his wife died January
10, 1884. Edward J. Wyman was reared in
Persifer Township. He has added to his first
purchase of eighty acres of land anil now owns
five hundred and forty-nine acres. February
4, 1858, in Stark County, he was married to
Susan Elizabeth Bradford. Six of their chil-
dren attained maturity: Mrs. Mary A. Eiker,
deceased; Mrs. Alice E. Stetfen; William P.;
Minerva J.; Clark E.; and Rufus C. Mrs. Wy-
man's father, Harvey Bradford, was born iu
Maine, September 27, 1809, and was the son of
Charles and Elizabeth (Brown) Bradford, who
were active abolitionists and came to Illinois
in 1833. Charles and his son, Harvey S., were
highly respected in the community. Mrs. Wy-
man has held the office of School Treasurer for
two years. The Bradfords were descendants of
Governor William Bradford, of the Mayflower.
In religion, Mr. Wyman belongs to the United
Brethren. In politics, he is a republican, and
has held numerous local offices, including that
of Supervisor for seven years, Constable eight
years and Treasurer thirteen years. He has
been Director and Trustee almost continually.

Y^OUNG, JOHN R.; Farmer; Persifer Town-
ship; son of Robert Young; born May 23, 1852,
on the Y'oung homestead. Section 30. Persifer
Township; educated at the Knoxville High
School and Hedding College. He married
Samantha Lotts, in Haw Creek Township, De-
cember 8, 1875; there were four children: Earl
L., John R., Trella W. and Merrill h. May 10.
1889, his first wife died. November 3, 1891, he
married Mary A., daughter of George England;
two children were born to them: Leon D. and
an infant daughter. Mr. Young's college educa-
tion did not unfit him for farm work, and know-
ing that he could make a success of farming,
he chose that as his life work. He has made a
success, beginning in a small way, and now
owns four hundred and sixteen acres in Persifer
Township, three hundred and seventy-five acres
being in one tract and well improved. He is a
progressive farmer. He has educated his chil-
dren; his two oldest sons. Earl 1... and John R.,
graduated at the Knoxville High School, the
former teaching his first school in the Winter
of 1898 and '99. Mr. Young is a republican in
politics, and has been Supervisor ten years. He
filled the office of Road Commissioner from
1885 to 1888, and in 1888, was elected Assessor.
On the Board of Supervisors, he has been chair-
man of the Road and Bridge Committee since
1894, and has rendered valuable services to the
county. Mr. Young is a member of the Modern
Woodmen of America and of the A. F. and A. M.,
Gilson Lodge, No. 3161.

YOUNG, ROBERT LINCOLN; Farmer; Per-
sifer Township, where he was born November
14, 1863. He was educated in Knox County.
His father, Robert Young, was born in Warren
County, Ohio, and his mother, Mary Fowler
(Johnston) Young, was a native of Claremont
County, Ohio. His paternal grandfather. Jacob
Young, was born in Germany; his grandmother,
Elizabeth Young, was born in Philadelphia; his
maternal grandfather. Edward C. Johnston,



KNOX COUNTY.



came from New Jersey. His maternal grand-
mother, Hannah F'owler (Rusling) Johnston,
was a native of England. Mr. Robert L. Young
was married to Emma E. England, September
17, 1890. They have one child, Harold Ewart.
The parents of Mr. Young moved from Ohio to
Knox County, Illinois, in 1844, and settled on
the farm where they now live. Through energy
and economy they have accumulated a large es-
tate. Mr. Voung now lives on the farm with
his father, and is successfully engaged in gen-
eral farming and stock raising. In addition,
he cultivates a valuable farm of his own, con-
sisting of two hundred and sixty-eight acres
of land. Mr. Young has always taken much in-
terest in the welfare of the township. In early
life he taught in its schools and has later held
the offices of Highway Commissioner, School
Treasurer and School Director, the latter office
he is now holding for the fifth year. Mr. Young
is a member of the Methodist Church. In poli-
tics, he is a republican.

TRURO TOWXSHIP.

By L. J. Balrd.

Next to Persifer, this is the roughest town-
ship in Knox County. Spoon River enters it
in Section 12 and flows out from Section 31,
winding through it for fifteen or sixteen miles
and touching sixteen sections. This river and
its branches, which liberally water Truro, pass
through timber lands which formerly extended
over half the township. Of late years, however,
this timber has been gradually disappearing,
the land on which it stood having been con-
verted into almost treeless pastures, which
have proved a source of greater profit. North
of Sijoon River, the land is mostly rolling; on
the south stretches a level, fertile prairie.
About one-sixth of the township is underlaid
with a good quality of coal, which, \vith the
timber, affords an excellent supply of fuel.

The first settlement was made on Section 19,
in 1832, by John Dill. The first birth was that
of Andrew Dill, in 1833. During that year Rev.
John Cummings performed the first marriage
ceremony, uniting Jake Ryan and Miss Stam-
baugh. In 1832, within Section 30, Malon
Winans, a United States mail carrier, was
drowned while attempting to swim Spoon River
with a mail bag strapped to his back. This was
the first death. Within this same section, in
1834, John Coleman started a ferry across Spoon
River, at a point which was long known as
Coleman's Ferry, but afterwards came to be
called Trenton. Here the first postoffice was es-
tablished, during the same year.

On the northwest quarter of Section 31, the
first white settlers found a number of Indian



graves. Logs had been split into halves and
hollowed out for cofl5ns, and these were placed
in the forks of trees, from ten to fifteen feet
above the ground, where they rested, with their
ghastly human skeletons projecting above their
tops. In 1836, the pioneers took them down and
gave them "white man's burial."

In 1834, Rev. John Cummings preached the
first sermon at the home of Widow Lambert,
on Section 31. The first school house was built
in 1848, on Section 33. There are now seven
frame school houses, valued at about seven
thousand, five hundred dollars. Of the four
hund-ed and forty-seven persons under the age
of twenty-one, two hundred and seventy-three
attend the public schools, one of which is
graded.

Rensselaer Johnson was the first Justice of
the Peace.

April 5, 1853, the township was organized.
The first election of officers resulted in the
choice of the following persons: Augustus
Lapham, Supervisor; J. P. Cadwell, Clerk; Ben-
jamin Sweat, Assessor; Levi Seward, Collector;
Thomas Ross, Overseer of the Poor; Thomas
Crawford, Luther Rice and Joseph Wilder,
Highway Commissioners; Thomas Ross and
Joseph Oberholtzer, Justices of the Peace.

The population in 1860 was seven hundred
and thirteen; in 1870, eight hundred and ninety-
nine; in 1880, seven hundred and seventeen; in
1890, eight hundred and sixty-five; and at pres-
ent it is estimated at eleven hundred.

Truro Township is inhabited by prosperous
farmers. The land is well tilled, and dotting the
pastures are herds of well-bred hogs, horses,
sheep and cattle. The farms are fairly well
improved, and the people contented and happy.
The population is composed chiefly of Ameri-
can born citizens of English, Irish, Scotch and
Swedish ancestry. The hardy pioneers are fast
passing away, but they have left energetic and
intelligent descendants. Although thus sprung
from various stocks, they are all intensely
American in their patriotism. Adorning the
walls of their homes are to be found not only
the portraits of the heroes of their Fatherland,
of whom they are justly proud, but also those
of Washington, Lincoln and other eminent
Americans, who hold no second place in their
affections.

Here also is found a generous religious tol-
erance, Protestant and Catholic joining in ad-
vancing charitable and educational enterprises.
In such perfect assimilation of different nation-



K .\ O X ecu N T Y.



887



alities, and in such broad t-harity in the mutter
of religious faith as are found here," lies one of
the strongest guarantees of the future grandeur
and perpetuity of our country.

WILLIAMSFIELD.

L'ntil 1SS7, Truro was without a railway.
During that year the main line of the Santa Fe
was laid across the township, and on April 24,
18S8, Williamsfield was laid out by E. B. Pur-
cell, on Section 23. Later, Galesburg capitalists
interested themselves in the project, and pro-
moted it with so much vigor that within twelve
years the new town has become one of the most
prosperous in the county, and now boasts about
five hundred inhabitants. There is a graded
school, employing from three to four teachers
since the completion of the school building, in
1890.

A Methodist church was erected early in 1S9Q,
and dedicated on the first day of June of that
year. It is a substantial structure, and the de-
nomination has a iair membership. Two years
later, the Catholics erected an attractive house
of worship.

Since 1890 Williamsfield has had a bank and
a printing oflice, both of which started in busi-
ness on January 22 of that year. The Bank of
Williamsfield (a private institution) was
opened by L. J. Baird and Company. David
Cation is its Cashier. The Williamsfield Times,
an independent weekly, was established, as has
been said, in 1890. Its founder was C. D. Ben-
field. In October, 1890, the building in which
the Times was located was burned, and Mr. Ben-
field lost his entire outfit. The subscription list
of the paper was purchased by Momeny and
Benson, and in a few months they were enabled
to continue the publication. Later, they dis-
solved partnership, and J. M. Momeny assumed
control of the paper. In the Fall of 1892. S. E.
Boggess leased the plant from Mr. Momeny, and
In April, 1893, it passed into the hands of its
present owner, M. Hugh Irish.

Various lines of mercantile business are well
represented, there being four general stores, two
hardware stores, two meat markets, two lumber
yards, one furniture and undertaking establish-
ment, two restaurants, a livery and feed barn,
two barber shops, a blacksmith shop, and dry
goods and millinery stores. It has also two
grain elevators, and has always been a great
center for the shipment of grain and live stock.
In fact, in these respects, Williamsfield is sur-
passed by but few points in the State.



The societies of the village are named below:

Grand Army of the Republic; instituted July
22, 1890, by Dr. Lambert, of Galesburg, assisted
by comrades from Elmwood and Yates City, with
a membership of thirteen. Named the George
W. Paiker Post, in memory of a deceased sol-
dier from this township. John Cole, M. D., was
the first Commander. For three years the Post
met in Tucker's Hall, when the Odd Fellows
tendered them their lodge room, free of rent, as
their future home. Present membership,
twenty-three. Comrades who have died since
the institution are Samuel Tucker and Frank
Reinboldt.

Independent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 779.
Organized April 15, 1890. Meet in a commodious
hall, over the bank. Membership, sixty. All
the organizations named below also hold their
meetings at the same place.

Degree of Rebekah. Organized September 12,
1895. Membership, thirty-eight. Knights of
Pythias. Organized May 15, 1895. Membership,
fifty-five. Order of Eastern Star. Organized
July, 1S95. Membership, twenty-five. Modern
Woodmen of America. Organized June, 1894,
with seventeen members. Present membership,
thirty-two.

ANTHONY SEWARU.

Anthony Seward, son of Sahiuel S. and Sarah
A. (Caldwell) Seward, was born in Knox Town-
ship, Knox County, Illinois, October 12. 1848.
His father was born in Broome County, New
York, in 1826. His grandparents were Orin and
Mehetabel (Livermore) Seward, who were
pioneers in Knox County.

Samuel S. Seward attended the pioneer
schools and assisted his father on the farm.
In the summer of 18112, he enlisted in the Union
army, serving until June. 1SB5: ht was with
Sherman's army in its march through Georgia,
marching from Atlanta, Georgia, to Savannah,
and thence through the Carolinas to the city of
Washington, taking part in the grand review
of the army at the close of the war; he was
mustered out of service at Chicago. Illinois.
He married Sarah A., daughter of John P. and
Mary (Porter) Caiuwell. After his marriage
he located on a farm in Truuro Township, but in
a few years he disposed of this farm and, after
renting land for a time, bought a farm on Sec-
tion It). In 1882 he left his son Anthony in
charge of the farm in Truro Township and set-
tled on a farm in Cedar County, Missouri. Mr.
and Mrs. S. S. Seward had six children: An-
thony: John M.; Sophronia (deceased); Wil-
liam H.; Sarah: and Albert Marion.

Anthony Seward was married in Knox
County, March 17, 1868, to Margaret M.
Daniels, who was born in Richland County,
Ohio, December 24, 1851. Four children have



KNOX COUNTY.



been born to them: Chloe P., Ellen Viola,
Lucius and Ella. After his marriage Mr.
Seward settled upon his father's farm, of which
he assumed complete control in 18S2.

Mr. Seward was educated in the common
schools of Truro Township. He is a farmer and
grain dealer. In politics, he is a republican; in
religious belief, a Methodist. He held the office
of Commissioner of Highways from ISSl to ISSS.
In 1887 he was Township Supervisor and was
re-elected in 1889, holding the office until 1894;
in 1898 he was again elected to the same office.
He held the office of School Treasurer five or six
years, and has been School Director for a num-
ber of terms. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
Lodge, No. 777, and a member of the K. P.
Lodge, No. 525, at Williamsfield.

EZRA^W. TUCKER.

Ezra W. Tucker, son of John and Eleanor
(Metcalf) Tucker, was born January 4, 1839, in
Peoria County, Illinois. His parents were born
in Ashland County, Ohio, and were pioneers in
Peoria; His father died in 1850.

Mr. Tucker was educated in the common
schools, and attended school in a log house fur-
nished with slab seats. He was married Octo-
ber 22, 1860, to Kate Mundy, who was born in
Elba Township. Six children were born to
them: Willie, Samuel B., Mamie, Lettie, Bar-
bara and Thomas. Mr. Tucker was married a
second time, February 28, 1877, to Elizabeth
Dugan, born in Scotland in 1837, and was the
daughter of James and Elizabeth (McMurray)
Dugan. Her father died in Scotland, and she
came with her mother to the United States in
1865.

After his first marriage he purchased a farm
of one hundred and ten acres in Truro Town-
ship, where he now lives. He has improved
his farm, and increased it by purchase, until
he now has an excellent farm of three hundred
acres, situated one mile south of Williamsfield,
where he raises a large amount of fruit.

In religion, Mr. Tucker is a Methodist, and
in politics a republican. He has held the office
of Road Commissioner, Justice of the Peace,
and School Director in Truro Township.

BAIRD, JOHN M.; Williamsfield, Truro
Township; Lumber Dealer; born July 15, 1863, in
Knox County; educated in Abingdon, Illinois.
His parents, William H. and Elizabeth Jane
(Farwell) Baird, were born in Pennsylvania.
September 9, 1844, in Elba Township, Mr. Baird
was married to Florence R. Sumner, who was
born December 16, 1861. Mr. and Mrs. Baird
have two children: Una C, born December 4,
1888; Vesper E., born August 6, 1892. Mrs.
Baird is a member of the Eastern Star Lodge.
Mr. Baird has been President of the Town
Board. He is a member of the K. of P., No. 523,
Williamsfield. He is an extensive dealer in
lumber. In politics, he is a republican.

BAIRD, LEROY JOSEPH; Banker and Real
Estate Dealer; Williamsfield; born in Elba
Township, Knox County, Illinois, December
16, 18.57. His parents were William H. and
Elizabeth Jane (Farwell) Baird, born in Clin-



ton County, Pennsylvania. His paternal grand-
parents were Benjamin Baird of Pennsylvania,
and Ellen '(Summerson) Baird, of England.
Mr. L. J. Baird was reared on his father's
farm, and educated in the common schools and
at Hedding College, Abingdon. In 1880, he
bought a farm which he managed for several
years, finally leaving it, in 1890, to engage in
the banking and real estate business at Wil-
liamsfield, which is his present occupation. Mr.
Baird was married at Yates City, October 21,
1883, to Mary H. Parker. They had two chil-
dren, Ellen Elizabeth and Earl Melville. Mr.
Baird's second marriage was with Hannah A.
Elliott at Williamsfield, July 30, 1895. They
have had one child, Russell Elliott. In politics,
Mr. Baird is an independent democrat.

CATION, DAVID; Cashier; Williamsfield.
Truro Township; born in Millbrook, Peoria
County, June 16, 1856; educated in Elba Town-
ship, Knox County. His parents, James Cation
and Catharine (Gray), were born in Glasgow,
Scotland; his paternal grandparents, William
and Margaret (Paul) Cation, were born in Scot-
land. He was married to Ella Barber Febru-
ary 20, 1884, in Quincy, Illinois. She was born
August 6, 1855. There are two children living,
James L., born January IS, 1885, near Mc-
Minnville, Oregon, and Catharine, born Septem-
ber 10, 1891. Mr. Cation has been a teacher in
the public schools of Knox, Peoria and Stark
counties, Illinois, and also in the State of Ore-
gon. He was in the employ of one of the larg-
est lumbering firms in Portland, Oregon, for
two years, and was weigher and clerk with
the grain firm of J. W. Briedwell, at Briedwell,
Oregon. He was a student in Hedding Col-
lege, Abingdon, Illinois, took a course in
Brown's Business College, Jacksonville, Illinois,
and graduated from the Normal Department of
the Gem City Business College, Quincy, Illinois.
He has been Town Clerk and Supervisor of
Truro Township and is Village Treasurer and
Cashier of the bank at Williamsfield. In poli-
tics, he is a republican, and is at present a mem-
ber of the Knox County Republican Committee.

CATION, WILLIAM; Farmer; Truro Town-
ship; born August 29, 1858, in Peoria County;
educated in Knox County. His parents, James
and Catharine (Gray) Cation, were born in
Glasgow, Scotland; his paternal grandparents
were William and Margaret (Paul) Cation. De-
cember 28, 1882, in Galesburg, Mr. Cation was
married to Sarah A., daughter of Thomas A.
and Olive Cowell; Mrs. Cation was born Octo-
ber 8, 1859. There were four children: Lulu
Maud, born March 22, 1885, died August 30,
1888; Charles Arthur, born August 2, 1889; Le-
lah May, born September 22, 1892; William
James, born August 25, 1897. Mrs. Cation's pa-
rents are now living in Elba Township. Mr.
Cation is a practical farmer, and has a very fine
home. He is a republican.

COLE. FRED G.; Farmer; Truro Township;
born in Peoria County, Illinois, August 8, 1863;
educated at French Grove. His father, William
F. Cole, was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania;
his mother, Mary Ann (Cutter), was born in




6^ f ^f, J^ 9 /cW-



KAOX CUUA'TV



Richland County, Ohio. His paternal grand-
father, John Cole, was born in England; his
maternal grandparents were Isaac Cutter and
Sarah Metcalf, the latter was born in Richland
County, Ohio. February 13, 1885, Mr. F. G.
Cole was married to Ettie M. Tucker, who was
born August 16, 1SG5. a daughter of V. L. and
Jane Tucker. They had one child, Ma-
bel J., born November 17, 1888. Mr. Cole lived
for about five years in Kansas. He now owns
a farm south of Williamsfield. He is a mem-
ber of the Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 779. In poli-
tics, he is a republican.

COLE, I. FRANK; Farmer; Truro Township;
born December. 21, 1851, in Brimfield Town-
ship, Peoria County; educated in the common
schools. His father. William F. Cole, was born
in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, July 18, 1818, and
died December 23, 1883. His mother, Mary
Ann (Cutter), was born in Richland County,
Ohio. July 29, 1829, and died March 15, 1894.
His paternal grandparents. John and Jane
(Bates) (Joie, were born in England. His ma-
ternal grandfather was Isaac Cutter, and his
maternal grandmother, Sarah (Metcalf), who
was born in Richland County, Ohio. January
11, 1877, he married, in Elba Township, Martha
Ann, daughter of J. C. and Margaret (King)
Nelson; she was born September 14, 1854. Of
this union there were eight children: John,
born November 27, 1877, died in infancy; Mary
Ann, born March 5, 1S79; Maud, born November
18, 1880; Lemuel J., born February 11,
1884; Marge, born May 6, 1886; Sarah,
born May 13, 1888, died February 25,
1889; Martha N., born September 16, 1889;
and Frank Harrison, born August 23, 1891.
Mrs. Cole's father was born in Altoona, Penn-
sylvania, in 1816, and died in 1897; her mother
was born in Richland County, Ohio, in 1819,
and died June 19, 1897. Mr. Cole is a charter
member of the Knights of Pythias, and a char-
ter member of the Modern Woodmen of Amer-
ica, and has held offices in one of these lodges,
in one of which he is a Clerk. He has served
as School Trustee one term. He began his
education in a log school-house of ancient date.
In politics, he is a republican.

DOUBET, JOSEPH DANIEL; Farmer; Truro
Township; born in Peoria County, December 12,
1854; educated in the common schools. His fath-
er, Elenor Doubet, was born in Lacote. France.
July 12, 1824; his mother, Harriet (Slayn), was
born in Ohio April 7, 1831. His paternal grand-
parents, Joseph and Ursula Doubet, were na-
tives of France; his maternal grandparents,
Daniel and Mahala Slayn, were born in Virginia.
January 25, 1875, he was married, in Kickatoo,
to Ellen Corrigan, who was born August 4. 1849,
and is a daughter of Patrick and Anna (Ryan)
Corrigan. mere were eight children: Cora I.,
born January 5, 1876; Mollie M., born June 14,
1880; William, born April 5, 1882; Hattie R.,
born January 15, 1884; Anna G., born January
15, 1886; Delila F.. born February 21. 1888; Lucy
M., born March 5. 1890; Lida E., born April 7.
1892. Two of Mr. and Mrs. Doubet's children
are deceased. Cora I. was married to Dr. F. F.



Wallick. of Williamsfield, June 16, 1897. They
have one child, Ralph B. Wallick, born April
7, 1898. Mr. Doubet is a member of the Odd
Fellows at Williamsfield. He is an extensive
stock dealer. In religion, he is a Christian. In
politics, he is a liberal.

EASTMAN, C. H.; Liveryman; Williamsfield,
Truro Township; born in Brimfield, Peoria
County, Illinois, May 21, 1858; educated in Peo-
ria. His father, C. P. W. Eastman, was bora
in Farmington, Strafford County, New Hamp-
shire; his mother, Mary A. (Van Pelt), in
Hillsborough, Highland County. Ohio. His pa-
ternal grandparents were Nehemiah and An-
striss (Woodbury) Eastman; his maternal
grandparents, Elisha Van Pelt and Har-
riet (Brock), were both natives of Ohio. He
was married to Sarah A. Tucker, October 12,
1882, in Knoxville. Of this union there are
four children: Mary Anstriss, born April 17,
1884; Charles Samuel, born March 20, 1886;
Herbert Clinton, born February 9, 1888; Orlo
Aquilla, born November 2, 1890. Mrs. Eastman
has had excellent educational advantages and
is a member of the Eastern Star. Williamsfield.
Mr. Eastman is a republican, and Dejiuty
Sheriff of Knox County, Village Marshal of
Williamsfield and Constable of Truro Town-
ship. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., No. 779.

GALE, JAMES; Farmer; Truro Township;



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 189 of 207)