Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 190 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 190 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


born in Columbia County, New York, July 4,
1823; educated in Columbia County, New York.
His father, Nehemiah, and his mother, Susan
(Lyon) Gale, were natives of Columbia County.
His paternal grandfather was also named Nehe-
miah; his maternal grandfather was Thomas
Lyon. February 1, 1851, he married, in Rensse-
laer County, New York, Lucinda Caroline Rec-
ord, born April 22, 1833, daughter of John and
Esther (Hoke) Record. Of this union there are
fourteen children: Nehemiah C, born April
20. 1852; John B., born August 29, 1853; Am-
brose R.. born March 7. 1855; Emma J., born
June 7, 1857; Eugene H., born February 28, 1859;
Mariette and Antoinette, born May 31, 1861;
Elvina E.. born August 15, 1863; Laurilla S.,
born May 22, 1865; Armena C, born October 13,
1867; Lovina J., born April 17, 1870; Caroline
L., born November 26, 1S72; James A., born
January 6, 1874; and Anthony W., born Novem-
ber 30, 1876. Nehemiah married Merlind Cad-
well; John married Pamelia Wolf; Ambrose
married Clara Grate; Emma married Cyrus
Wolf; Eugene married Phidelia Smith; Mariette
married Forest Rowlim; Antoinette is at home;
Elvira married Charles Morsman; Laurilla mar-
ried Ezra Wolf; Armena married Robert Pierce;
Lovina married Dr. E. V. D. Morris: Caroline,
James and Anthony are at home. Mr. and Mrs.
Gale are a hale and hearty couple. Mrs. Gale's
mother is now living in Kansas. Mr. Gale came
to Chillicothe in 1853, to Truro Township in
1858. and settled on Section 12. where by hard
work he has become the owner of one hundred
and eighty acres of land. In earlier life, he
traveled through the South and East. He was
by trade a mason In religion, he is a
In politics, he is a greenbacker.



890



KNOX COUNTY,



GERMAN, HENRY; Farmer; Truro Town-
ship; born July 2, 1829, in Clinton County, Ohio;
educated in the common schools. His father,
Nicholas German, was born in Saratoga County,
New York, his mother, Rebecca (Garrison), was
born in Clinton County, Ohio. His paternal
grandparents, Henry and Rachel German, were
■ born in Germany; his maternal grandparents
were Jeremiah and Polly (Ments) Garrison, of
New Jersey. August 3, 1853, in Knoxville, he
was married to Polly Ann, daughter of John and
Satrona (Snydsr) Miller. She was born Febru-
ary 20, 1S33. There were nine children: An-
drew, born June 5, 1854; Elizabeth E., born Oc-
tober 25, 1856, died November 14, 1897; Amy J.,
born February 19, 1860; Elmer E., born Febru-
ary 25, 1865; Albert, born January 15, 1868; S.
Ellen, born September 8, 1862; Lillie May, born
August 6, 1870; Willie H., born June 20, 1873;
Myrtle, born February 21, 1877, and died Janu-
ary 9, 1894. Mr. German settled north of Truro
Township in 1865, and after a time moved to
Peoria County, where he remained twelve years,
and then returned and settled where he now
lives. He has a large farm of two hundred and
two acres two miles southwest of Williamsfleld.
In religion, he is a Christian. In politics, he is
a democrat.

LENG, ALBERT; Farmer; Truro Township;
born Scarbro, Yorkshire, England, July 2,
1841; educated in the common schools.
His parents, John and Ann (Woodall)
Leng, were born and died in England. His ma-
ternal grandparents were Robert and Fanny
Woodall. He was married February 5, 1874,
in Peoria County, to Mary Francis; she was
born September 2, 1851, and was the daugh-
ter of Elder and Mary Ann (Murphy) Abey.
Mrs. Leng's mother is dead; her father is liv-
ing in Peoria County. Mr. and Mrs. Leng have
had nine children: Luther E., born February 25,
1875; James E. (deceased), born November 23,
1876; Mary S., born December 23, 1877; Lyman
W., born December 23, 1880; Lulu O., born Octo-
ber 17, 1882; Robert N., born September 17,
1884: Ewart Gladstone, born December 28, 1887:
Ednah E.. born October 6, 1889; Carl E., born
February 24, 1892. Mr. Leng has a large farm
of two hundred and ninety-flve acres two
and one half miles north of Williamsfleld. He
is a dealer in Clydesdale horses and Short-
horn cattle. In politics, he is a populist. He
is Road Commissioner and was School Director
for eighteen years. In religion, he is a Metho-
dist.

MACKEY, JOHN, Jr.: Farmer; Truro Town-
ship: born in Jackson County, Maryland, Octo-
ber 24, 1860; educated at Lombard University.
His father, John Mackey, and his mother, Janel;
(McFadyen), were born in Ayrshire. Scotland,
the former, in 1826, the latter, in 1828. John
Mackey's father and paternal grandfather were
named Mathuew and were born in Ayrshire.
His mother's name was Janie Mackey. Janet
(McFadyen) Mackey's mother, Janet (Ander-
son), was born in Scotland. September 27, 1887,
John Mackey, Jr., was married to Eva C. Mc-
Dowell, in Galesburg; she was born May 2,



1866, and is the daughter of William B. and
Caroline (McCoy) McDowell. There are three
children, two boys and one girl: Eldrid W.,
born April 23, 1889; Earl E., born December 30,
1890; and Irma, born April 3, 1899. Mrs.
Mackey s father is living; her mother died in
1894. Mr. Mackey took a scientific course at
Lombard University, and was a member of the
Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. He has a farm of
three hundred and sixty acres three and one
half miles north of Williamsfleld, and is an ex-
tensive dealer in cattle and hogs. Of the latter
he raises about two hundred and fifty head
yearly. In politics, he is a democrat.

MACKIE, EZEKIEL D.; Farmer; Truro
Township; born in Knox County, Illinois, Aug-
ust 22, 1868; educated in Truro Township. His
parents, John and Janet Mackie, were natives
of Ayrshire, Scotland. September 10, 1891, he
was married in Galesburg, to Etta M. Stephens,
who was born November 2, 1873, and is a daugh-
ter of D. W. and Nancie E. Stevens. They
have one child living, Jessie M., born December
9, 1895; one cnild died in infancy. Mrs.
Mackie's parents are living in Victoria. In his
younger days, Mr. Mackie traveled through
Kansas and Iowa. He is now School Director
of District No. 1 in the township of Truro. In
politics, he is a democrat.

MAHAR, JAMES; Farmer; Truro Township;
born October 1, 1866; educated in the common
schools. His parents, James and Anna Mahar,
were born in Ireland. December 12, 1889, he
was mari-ied in Galva, Henry County, Illinois,
to Anna, daughter of Augustus and Matilda Pet-
erson; Mrs. Mahar was born October 30, 1867.
There are two children: Francion Blanch, born
August 10, 1892; and James, born August 14,
1896. Mrs. Mahar's father is dead, but her
mother is living in Victoria Township. Mr.
Mahar's fathsr once owned all the land where
the village of Williamsfleld now stands. Mr.
Mahar has a farm of eighty acres, one-half mile
east of the village. In religion, he is a Catho-
lic: in politics, a democrat.

PHILLIPS. W. M.; Farmer and Stock-dealer:
Truro Township; born November 3, 1862, in
Oskaloosa. Iowa. His parents were Anson D.
Phillips, born in Ohio in 1830, and Mary (Mow-
ery), born in Illinois. His paternal grand-
parents were Robert and Jane (Elder) Phillips.
His maternal grandmother was Nellie (Burton).
He was married to Delia Maxey, December 21,
1890, in Gilson. Kv.ox County. She was born
in Knox County, November 9, 1869, and is the
daughter of Ciayborn and Martha Carlotte
Maxey. Of this union there were four children:
a boy born April 20, 1895. who lived five
months; Velma, born October 20, 1891; Eugene,
born January 27, 1893; Cecil, born December 24,
1896, died November 25, 1897. Mrs. Phillips's
parents are dead. Mr. Phillips has a farm of
one hundred and sixty acres three and one-half
miles southwest of Williamsfleld and is a dealer
in stock. In religion, he is a Methodist. In
politics, he is a republican.

SMITH. MANLEY; Farmer; Truro Township;
born in Monroe County, New York, September




9



KNOX COUNTY.



12, 1S49: educated in the common schools. His
father, William H. Smith, was horn in Saratoga
County, New York; his mother, Mary Smith,
in Monroe County, New York. He was mar-
ried to Harriet Kinney, near Oneida. She was
born in ISol, and is a daughter of John and
Rhoda Kinney, who live at Oneida. They have
four children: Irven C, born December 30,
1873; Walter M., born January 2, 1876; John,
born April 9, 1881; and Orpha, born September
23, 1888, all of whom are living at home. Mr.
Smith came with his father, in 1S55, from New
York to Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he lived
for ten or twelve years. He then came to Yates
City, and now owns a farm in Truro Township.
In politics, he is a democrat.

SPENCER, CHARLES; Farmer; Truro Town-
ship; born May 4. 1836, in Erie County, Penn-
sylvania; educated in the common schools. His
father, Joshua N. Spencer, wns born in Maine,
December 22, 1810. and died June 28, 1856; his
mother, Maria (Steaver), was born in Pennsyl-
vania, December 16, 1810, and died March 8,
ISSS. His maternal grandfather, Henry Stea-
ver, was a native of New York. In October, 1858,
he was married in Truro Township to Rosina.
daughter of George W. and Martha (Buck)
Doty. She was born April 28, 1830. Of this
union there were seven children: Mary Maria,
born ,Tuly 1, 1859; Nathaniel, born June 22, 1861;
Frank E., born March 29, 1863. died April 1,
1870; Deborah, born March 6, 1865; Emma Jane,
born February 22, 1867; Rosina, born July 2,
1869: Charles, born August 25, 1871. Mrs. Spen-
cer's father was born in Maine, her mother, in
New York, in 1810. Mr. Spencer has a fine
stock farm three miles north of Williams-
field. He is a member of Free Masons Lodge,
363, Elmwood. He has held the offices of Road
Commissioner, and School Director. In politics,
he is a democj-at.

TUCKER, HENRY' C; Farmer and Hardware
Merchant; Williamsfield, Truro Township; born
November 9, 1855; educated in the common
schools. His parents, V. O. and Jane Tucker,
were born in Ashland County. Ohio. His pater-
nal grandfather was John Tucker. Our sub-
ject was married to Nettie E. Earld, in Peo-
ria: she was born March 2, 1861. There are six
children: Walker, born August 14, 1880; Laura
Bell, born March 9, 1882; Clarence, born July 18,
1883; Otis, born February 11, 1885; Earl, born
November 10, 1895; Lynn, born February 1, 1897.
The children are all at home. Mrs. Tucker's
father, Henry Earld. was a soldier in the late
Rebellion. Her mother, Elizabeth (Drake), is
now living in the West. Mr. Tucker is a pros-
perous hardware dealer in the village of Wil-
liamsfield. In politics, he is a republican.

TUCKER, JOHN ALLEN; Dealer in Agri-
cultural Implements; Williamsfield, Truro
Township, where he was born June 16, 1850.
His parents, Vachel L. and Jane Tucker, were
born in Ashland County, Ohio. His paternal
grandparents were John and Nellie (Metcalf)
Tucker. October 8. 1874, at the Union Hotel
in Galesburg, our subject was married to Lilly
C. Love. She was born January 22, 1858, and



is the daught'ir of George W. and Harriet P.
Love. Of this union there were five children:
Seth C, born October 8, 1876; Leto J., born July
8, 1879; Myrtle A., born August 8, 1885; Lilly
M., born January 25, 1887; Donna May, born
September 29, 1893. The children are living
at home. Mrs. Tucker's parents are living. Mr.
Tucker attended the common schools in Elm-
wood, Peoria County. He is one of the Trustees
of the village of Williamsfield, is a charter
member of I. O. O. F., No. 779, Williamsfield, a
member of the Knights of Pythias, No. 523, and
of the Modern Woodmen of America, No. 2306.
He is a member of the firm of Tucker and
Oberholtzer, agricultural implements, Williams-
field. In politics, he is a republican.

WELSH, MICHAEL; Farmer; Truro Town-
ship; born in Ivilkenny County, Ireland; edu-
cated in Ireland. His parents, William and
Bridget (Holden) Welsh, were natives of Ire-
land, as were his paternal grandparents, Jo-
seph and Bridget (Malone) Welsh, and his ma-
ternal grandfather, Bartley Holden. October
IS, 1850, he was married in Ireland to Catharine
Grace, she was born about 1830, and is a daugh-
ter of Richard and Alice (Kennedy) Grace.
They have seven children: William M., born
December 23, 1852; Alice, born December 22,
1854; B. F., born February 22, 1857; John D.,
born September 10, 1858; James, born February
2, 1861; M. M., born September 10, 1862; Mary,
born February 7, 1865. Two of the children
died in infancy. Mr. W^elsli landed at New Or-
leans, January 1, 1851, and reached Maquon by
way of St. Louis, April 19, 1851. April 1, 1856.
he settled in Truro Township, where he has
lived forty-two years. In religion, he is a Cath-
olic. In politics, he is a democrat.

ELBA TOWNSHIP.

By B. P. Baird.
The first settler in the district now known as
Elba Township was Thomas King, who came
there in the year 1836. The statement has
been made, in former histories, that John King,
the father of Thomas, was the original pioneer.
This is an error. John King emigrated from
the East in 1835, but located in Brimfield Town-
ship, Peoria County, where he died in the au-
tumn of the same year, without having pre-
empted an acre of ground in Knox County. He
had come West, intending to make a home
for his family, but died before he had time to
accomplish his purpose. Thomas King brought
his widowed mother and younger brothers and
sisters West, being resolved to seek better for-
tunes in a territory comparatively new. In the
Fall of 1830 they reached Illinois, and settled
on what is now Section 2, of Elba Township.
The original farm is still owned by James, a
brother of Tnomas. who was a child of five
years when the family migration was made.



KNOX COUNTY,



Among the earliest settlers were John and
Felix Thurman, who were soon joined by Leon-
ard and Darius Jones, emigrants from New
York. The latter settled in Section 15, about
the autumn of 1837, and not long afterward
came Jacob Kightlinger, with his wife and
family, to Section 27. Mr. Kightlinger had a
large number of children and employed a private
tutor to instruct them, thereby gaining a dis-
tinction either more or less enviable according
to the standpoint from which his conduct was
viewed. Yet he is said to have been the builder
of the first school house in the township, in
Section 27. Vachel Metcalf was among the
first teachers in Elba, although it cannot be
definitely asserted that he taught in this
school. James Harrison Baird, a native of
Pennsylvania, arrived with his wife and family
in 1838, having emigrated from the East in a
wagon and reaching Elba in the autumn. He
made his home in the northwest quarter of
Section 3, and— it being situated on the stage
route between Peoria and Knoxville— it fre-
quently proved a welcome resting place for
weary travelers. Samuel Tucker, with his
brother John, settled on Section 2 the following
year; and about the same time came Rev. John
Gross, who subsequently attained some local
distinction through his connection with the "un-
derground railway."

Most of these early pioneers have passed
away, Vachel Metcalf being the only known
survivor. His present home is at Elmwood,
Peoria County. They did much for the develop-
ment of the section, yet scarcely deserve more
praise than should be awarded to some who
came after them. Among the later settlers who
passed their maturer years in Elba and were
prominently identified with the business inter-
ests of the township, and who have gone to the
reward due to well spent lives, were Josiah Nel-
son, Moses Wheeler, Henry Oberholtzer, Wil-
liam H. Baird, Henry Potts, John Callegan, John
Lindsey, Walter Bailey, James Nicholson, James
Patterson, Benjamin Pitman and James Catter-
ton. Of the present citizens who have earned
an enviable reputation for industry, probity and
public spirit, and whose beautiful homes help
to make Elba what it is, may be mentioned
Calvin Sumner, James Cation, Frank Potts, W.
S. Baird, T. L. Galpin, Enoch Dalton, Isaac
Shelton, D. W. Gooding, J. S. Thurman, Wil-
liam Bennett, G. W. Kennedy, William Wool-
sey, J. W. Sherman, D. C. Hurlburt, A. G.
Adams, George Owen, John Miller, Peter



Schenck, William Murdoch, Albert Breece,
Thomas Howell, ±i. E. Farwell, J. O. Baird,
William Callegnan, Samuel Shires, William
Truitt, William Chapman, Elva Woolsey, Wil-
liam Speare, F. E. Nelson, Ziba Adams, David
Hannah, J. M. Oberholtzer, John Cowell, Reuben
Gates, Frank Chelton, J. D. Gray; James Bar-
rett, James King, and John McKintey.

The surface of the township is beautifully
undulating, and good natural drainage is afford-
ed by French Creek and the numerous small
streams which flow into it. The former tra-
verses Elba from northeast to southwest, and
along its banks is a considerable growth of tim-
ber, which serves to give variety to the land-
scape. Spoon Hirer also crosses the extreme
northwest corner, cutting off about an acre. The
soil is extremely fertile, and especially adapted
to the growth of cereals, the annual crop of
wheat, corn and oats being as large as those
grown in any other township in the county. The
yield of corn has been known to exceed one
hundred bushels per acre, and of oats seventy-
five bushels. Considerable hay is also raised,
and timotny. clover and blue grass all flourish,
as also do apples, peaches, and a large variety
of small fruits. The commercial value of the
land ranges from twenty-five to one hundred
dollars per acre, the maximum, however, being
obtainable only for the choicest farms.

Elba is not crossed by any railroad, although
good shipping facilities are afforded by the
Santa Fe line, on the north, and the Chicago,
Burlington and Quincy, on the south.

The number of school districts is eight, with
an average attendance of twenty-five pupils.
There are two flourishing Methodist churches,
and at one time there was a Presbyterian so-
ciety as well. The latter congregation, how-
ever, has been broken up through deaths and
removals, and the church edifice is rapidly going
to decay.

Township organization was effected on April
5, 1883, by the choice of the following officers:
John F. Nicholson, Supervisor; J. W. Hlnus,
Clerk; H. L. Bailey, Assessor; Henry Smith,
Collector; William Searles, Overseer of the
Poor; Henry Oberholtzer, John West and K.
Hines, Highway Commissioners; John West
and B. F. Johnson, Justices.

BENJAMIN P, BAIRD.

Benjamin P. Baird, son of W. H. and Eliza-
beth (Farwell) Baird, was born in Pennsyl-
vania, March 19, 1855. His paternal grand-
parents were Beniamin and Ellen Baird, of



K N OX C U K T V



893



Pennsylvania, and the parents of his mother
were James and Permelia Farwell of the same
State.

Mr. Baird came with his father to Elba Town-
ship, where they located on Section 4. He was
educated at Hedding College, Abingdon, Illi-
nois. At the age of twenty-two he began farm-
ing for himself, and he now owns a very fine
farm of three hundred and sixty acres on Sec-
tion 16 of Elba Township, where he is quite an
extensive breeder of fine horses. His first mar-
riage was to Mary E. Oberholtzer, who was born
in Truro Township, October 22, 1S59, and died
June 13, ISSO. Her parents were Joseph and
Anna Oberholtzer, residents of Truro. By
this marriage Mr. Baird has one son, Newton
Homer, who was born October 1, 1S7S. and is a
student in Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois.

Mr. Baird was married a second time, Febru-
ary 22, 1882, to Josephine G. Gray, who was
born July 29, 1851. Her parents are Lemuel
Gray and Mary Ann (Swegle) Gray, now living
in Farmington, Illinois. The children by this
marriage are Willie L., born April 5, 1883; Leo
P., born Juiy 12, 1885; Lois I., born April 22,
1887; Eva L.. born September 7, 1889; Forest
Gray, born December 21, 1890.

Mr. Baird has been Road Commissioner for
the township of Elba, and has served as School
Director sixteen years. He is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and a republican
in politics.

WILLIAM H. B.VIRD.

William H. Baird was born April 6, 182u, in
Clinton County, Pennsylvania, on the west
branch of the Susquehanna River. His parents
were Benjamin and Ellen (Summerson) Baird.
Benjamin Baird was a native of Pennsylvania,
and lived in Clinton County from his earliest
youth. Ellen Summerson was a native of Eng-
land, and came to America with her parents
when she was an infant. They were married
in 1817, and were the parents of eleven chil-
dren, nine of whom, six boys and three girls,
attained maturity, William H. being the eldest.

Mr. Baird's childhood was passed on the
farm, and in the forests and along the streams
of his native State. He was a lover of nature,
and an adept with rod and gun. His education
was limited, being confined to branches taught
in the common schools. He afterwards taught
in the schools of his county. He farmed for
several years, during part of which time he
worked in the forest, felling trees, moving them
on the snow to the streams, and rafting them
to distant saw-mills during the spring freshets.
In 1848, with the aid of his father, he invested
In a quarter section of land in what is now
Elba Township, Knox County, Illinois, where
he moved with his family in 1856, settling on
the northeast quarter of Section 4, He resided
there until his death, which occurred on the
thirty-fourth anniversary of the date of their
arrival in the county, June 2d. He was a suc-
cessful farmer, and made additions to his farm
from time to time.

Mr. Baird was married to Elizabeth Jane Far-



well, May 22, 1850. She was born May 15, 1821,
in Clinton County, Pennsylvania. Her parents
were of German, Irish and Scotch descent. There
were six children: Jerusha Grace, now Mrs.
Wheeler; James Ogden; Benjamin Preston; Le-
roy Joseph; William Sebastian; and John Mc-
Clellan.

Mr. Baird was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church in Pennsylvania. His life
was moral and upright, and old associates aver
they never heard him utter a profane word. His
wife always affiliated with the Methodist Epis-
copal church people, but was not a member of
any church.

Politically, Mr. Baird was a democrat. He
was a modest, unassuming man, precise in his
methods, industrious and frugal. He was a
friend of the church and of education, contribut-
ing liberally to their support; he was a School
Director during most of his life in Illinois.
Both his precept and his example were in ac-
cord with right action. He found true pleas-
ure in associating with old friends, and greatly
enjoyed telling comic tales with his family
about him to join in the merriment. He was a
life long sufferer from asthma, which, with
other infirmities, caused his death June 2, 1890,
shortly after completing his seventieth year.
A few months afterward, his wife built a com-
fortable home in Williamsfield, a few miles from
the old farm, where she lives, surrounded by
her children.

«EOR(iE W. KEXXEDY.

George W. Kennedy, son of George and Nancy
(Tedlock) Kennedy, was born in Rush County,
Indiana, January 29, 1833. The progenitor of
this branch of the Kennedy family came from
Ireland in a sailing vessel. The voyage lasted
six months, during which period an acquaint-
ance was formed between himself and a beauti-
ful Englisii maiden on board, and they were
married immediately after landing in America.
They settled in Tennessee, where their descend-
ants became numerous and widely connected
in several of the southern States, notably in
Tennessee and Kentucky.

The grandparents of George W. Kennedy were
William P. and Elizabeth (Parcell) Kennedy.
The grandfather, born in Green County, Ten-
nessee, was a farmer and mechanic. They were
members of a church all their lives, first the
Presbyterian and later the Methodist Episcopal.
He died in Iowa and his wife in Indiana. George
Kennedy, father of George W., was born in
Green County. Tennessee, where he was reared
on a farm. He married Nancy Tedlock, daugh-
ter of James Tedlock, who belonged to a family
of whom several were men distinguished in
the profe.«sions. They moved to Rush County.
Indiana. Mrs. Kennedy died in Hancopk County
in the same State. Mr. Kennedy was thrice
married and his last wife. Dorothy, is now liv-
ing in Stark County, Illinois. She was reared
in Elba Township, Knox County, where her
father. John Thurman, was an early settler.
He died in Salem Township, February 3. 1S84.

George W. Kennedy came from Indiana with



KNOX COUNTY



his father in 1847, and settled in Salem Town-
ship, where he lived ten years. His educa-
tional advantages were limited, having attended
a district school for only a few months. He was
married in Salem Township, November 1, 1857,
to Eliza Thurman, who was born December 20,
1835. Mrs. Kennedy was the daughter of John
and Matilda Thurman, who came to Illinois in



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 190 of 207)