Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 194 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 194 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


thousand acres of land.

ORAMiE TOWNSHIP.

By John C. Eiker.

Orange, as at present defined and bounded,
was one of the first townships in the county to
attract the attention of early immigrants to
northern Illinois, and the pioneers were not
wholly free from fear of predatory visits from
the aboriginal owners of the soil. As a matter
of fact, however, in 1830 — the year when the first
settlers arrived — the Indians were migrating to
the west, and comparatively few of them re-
mained. A blockhouse was erected, however, in
1830, or '31, and the murder of a white man by a
strs^ggling band of hostile savages during the
Black Hawk War threw the small community
into a ferment of apprehension.

The township is crossed by several well de-
fined trails. That which is known as the Peo-
rian and Galena runs diagonally from northwest
to southeast, passing also through Knox, cross-
ing the northeastern corner of the present city
of Knoxville. A little to the west of this is an-
other, which crosses Brush Creek, in Section
30, and forms a sort of a pathway from that
stream to the headwaters of Haw Creek. Sev-
eral Indian graves have been found and their
traces are yet plainly discernible, just across the
Knox Township boundary line, on Section 32.
The last appearance of any considerable body
of aborigines in the township was in 1843, when
several hundred Sacs and Foxes camped on the
northwestern quarter of Section 5, while on
their way from the north to their reservation
in Indian Territory.

About three-fourths of the soil of Orange con-



KNOX COUNTY.



•jor



sists of fertile prairie, the remainder being cov-
ered with a good quality of timber. The wooded
sections lie along Brush and Haw creeks and
their branches, on the west and east, respec-
tively, where the surface is much broken. The
center of the township is flat, and here may be
found some of the most productive farms in the
county. The township is unaerlaid by three
distinct veins of bituminous coal, which are
said to be capable of furnishing a well-nigh in-
exhaustible output but which have been as yet
little developed.

The first white family to settle within the
present limits of Orange was that of Joseph
Wallace, who located on Section 15, in 1830,
and found a rudely constructed cabin suffice for
their shelter. After the death of his wife, on
the old farm, Mr. Wallace removed to Iowa.

Asa Haynes (born in Dutchess County, New
York, in 1804) came in 1836. He had bought
the three hundred acres on Section 30, on which
he erected a one roomed log cabin, in which he
took up his residence with his wife, formerly
Miss Mary Gaddis, to whom he had been mar-
ried October 7, 1830. He was hardy, daring and
adventurous, but without education other than
such as he had obtained during two months'
attendance at an Ohio district school each win-
ter during six or seven years. He brought with
him his two children, a half brother, Hiram, and
a nephew, Isaac Hill. During their journey
from Ohio, which occupied nineteen days, they
encountered more or less rainfall during seven-
teen days, and found the rivers swollen to the
summit of their banks, even the horses' har-
ness never drying. Mr. Haynes was energetic
and enterprising, and from the outset proved
a potent factor in the development of the new
country. He started the first brick yard and in
1840, built the first saw mill, which was oper-
ated by water power obtained from Brush
Creek. In 1841 he erected a large barn, and
the following year replaced his primitive cabin
by a brick house, which in those early days was
regarded as commodious. While by no means a
profound scholar himself, he took a deep inter-
est in the imparting of at least a sound pri-
mary education to children. For a time he him-
self taught an elementary school in his little
cabin, and when his brick home was completed,
one room was reserved and furnished as a
school-room. Miss Frances Moore was the in-
structress, becoming later, Mrs. Hiram Haynes.
Asa Haynes became, in his day, the largest
landholder in Orange Township, at one time



owning nine hundred and eighty-nine acres. He
was one of the adventurers of 1849 and Captain
of the "Jayhawkers" company of gold seekers
formed at Monmouth. He led this little band
of sixty across the continent. The hardships
and privations which the men underwent caused
many to drop by the way, but Mr. Haynes
reached California safely, where he remained
until 1851. Later in life he returned to Califor-
nia and made that State his residence for sev-
eral years. He returned home and died at the
house of a daughter, in Missouri, March 29, 1889.
Of his six children, only one — Mrs. Nancy J.
Wiley, who yet lives on a part of the old home-
stead — remains in the township.

James Ferguson came from Kentucky, with
his family, in the same year with Mr. Wallace,
settling on Section 11. He had several, chil-
dren, but only two are at present residents of
Orange; Andrew J., a farmer living on Section
10, and Mrs. Sarah Weir, whose home is on
Section 15. The elder Ferguson attained prom-
inence as being the first Justice of the Peace
and the first Overseer of the Poor in the town-
ship. He was also a soldier in the Black Hawk
War, being commissioned as Major. He diea
in 1841, his widow surviving him for twenty
years. Both sleep in the quiet plot of ground
reserved for sepulture on the old farm.

Peter Godfrey is among the best known set-
tlers of 1832, and he and his wife are among
the oldest and most honored couples belonging
to the "Old Settlers' Association of Knox
County." John Denney and John and Simon
McAllister arrived two years later. Isaiah Hut-
son and wife emigrated from the State of New
York in 1S37. He has since died (1883), but
his widow and daughter still find their home on
the homestead, which was theirs sixty years
ago. Thomas Gilbert was also an early settler,
his farm being on Section 8. His son, Thomas,
is a prominent citizen of Knoxville, and two of
his daughters still reside in that city.

Other early settlers of the township who are
worthy of especial mention are as follows:
Thomas and James Sumner, who came from
Ohio in 1837 and settled on Section 23. James
lost his life through an accident, but Thomas
still lives at his old home.

Israel Turner emigrated from Chester
County, Pennsylvania, in 1837. He entered two
hundred and forty acres on Section 32, remain-
ing there until he died. Anderson Barnett also
came in the same year, settling on Section 10.
To him belonged the distinction of begetting



KNOX COUNTY.



the largest family of children- (eighteen) ever
reared in the township, nearly all of whom are
yet living.

The oldest residents of the township at pres-
ent are William Reed and Mrs. Sarah E. Weir.

The early houses were, of course, of logs, and
of these Mr. Wallace built the first, on Section
15. Thomas A. Rude erected the first brick
dwelling, on the farm of the late William Tur-
ner, in the same section. A portion of the latter
is still standing, but the residence of Mr. Asa
Haynes is probably the oldest structure in the
county, remaining precisely as it was built.

The two earliest marriages were those of Al-
exander Robertson to Narcissa Ferguson, and
of Daniel Fuqua to Lydia Bomar. This was
a double wedding and the ceremony was sol-
emnized by Rev. Jacob Gum, at the Ferguson
residence, on Section 10. The first white child
born (1833) was Cynthia, daughter of James
Ferguson.

It has usually been stated by historians of
the township that the first death was that of a
Mr. M. Cramer; but one of the oldest living
settlers of Orange is authority for the state-
ment that the first person to die was an aged
female pauper, who was, at the time of her
death, living on the farm of James Ferguson,
at the time Overseer of the Poor. Both were
interred in a plat of ground on Section 15,
known as the McCramer burying ground.

Sixteen burials were made here, when inter-
ments were discontinued and there is now
nothing to mark the spot. The Ferguson and
the Ward burying grounds (the latter on Section
3) are neglected spots and are seldom used.
There are, however, two other cemeteries, which
are well kept up and which contain many hand-
some moniiments. These are the Haynes, on
Section 20, and the McAllister, on Section 12.

The first school house was of logs, and stood
on Section 14. It was known as the Wallace
School, and religious services were occasion-
ally held within its rude, unplastered walls. The
first teacher was Thomas Ellison, who wielded
the birch during the Winter of 1836. He died at
Abingdon, in 1897. Mr. Ellison was followed
by Anderson Barnett, who taught in 1837 and
1838. The school house erected in what is now
District No. 8 was of brick, Israel Turner being
the mason and the carpentry being done by
Charles Corwin. Miss Amanda Corwin, one of
the earliest graduates from Knox College, was
the first teacher and remained six years. An-
other early school house was that within the



limits of the present District No. 3, .where Miss
Mary Gilbert Chaffee was the first to give in-
struction to boys and girls, some of whom have
long since passed away, while others have
grown old and silver-haired. At present Orange
Township has eight schools, all ungraded, oc-
cupying well constructed frame buildings. The
houses are modern and represent an outlay, in
the aggregate, of about ten thousand dollars.
In addition to this sum, libraries and equip-
ments have cost a thousand dollars. The total
enrolment of pupils is two hundred and seven-
teen.

The earliest religious service held in the
township was conducted by Rev. Jacob Gum, a
Baptist minister, at the home of James Fergu-
son. The first denomination to organize into
a church society was the Methodist Episcopal.
This body erected a house of worship known as
Orange Chapel, in 1855. It was built on Sec-
tion 22, and was of brick, burned in the yard
of Anderson Barnett and laid by Thomas Ram-
bo. The building was dedicated in the Spring
of 1856, by Rev. Richard Haney. The Gilson
Circuit was ostablished in 1857-8, and Orange
Chapel was included within its limits. The
following is a list of its pastors, from 1857 to
1898: 1857-8, Rev. G. M. Irwine; 1859-60, Rev.
Wm. Watson; 1860-61, Rev. C. M. Wright; 1862,
Rev. J. B. Mills; 1803, Rev. G. W. Havermale;
1864, Rev. A. Beeler; 1865, Rev. A. Fisher; 18Gfi-
7, Rev. Thomas Watson; 1868-9, Rev. Stephen
Brink; 1870-1, Rev. G. W. Miller; 1872-3, Rev.
Jesse Smith; 1874, Rev. L. B. Dennis; 1877-9,
Rev. F. R. Boggess; 1880-1, Rev. Frank Smitli;
1882, Rev. N. H. Merriam; 1883, Rev. William
Collens; 1886-7, Rev. Geo. D. Hensell; 1888,
Rev. E. N. Bently; 1889-90, Rev. Lewis Ap-
ringer; 1891, Rev. Alford Mead; 1892, Rev. Sam-
uel Albricht; 1893-5, Rev. B. C. Dennis; 1896,
Rev. A. P. Bolen; 1897-8, Rev. S. E. Steele.

Early in the seventies revival services were
held at the school house in District No. 4, which
resulted in a general awakening of religious in-
terest. At that time there was no organized
church other than Orange Chapel, although
there was, in the township, a moderate
sprinkling of Congregationalists and Protestant
Methodists. The fervor of both these sects
was aroused. Both denominations organized
societies, and Haynes Chapel was built by the
Protestant Methodists. The Congregational
Church had no place of worship and soon ceased
to exist as a local organization. A general re-
ligious desline appeared to supervene about the




s^J^ci^ /^/st^^f^^^ve^



KNOX COUNTY.



909



same time, spreading over the territory be-
tween Knoxville and Hermon, on the north and
south, and Gilson and Abingdon, on the east
and west. In fact, for nearly twenty years, or
until 1S90, Orange Chapel was the only center
of organic Christian effort. In the last men-
tioned year, however, a branch of the Young
People's Society of Christian Endeavor was
formed at Haynes Chapel, with nine active
members. For several years the young people
conducted weekly services there, after their
customary fashion, and in 1893, Rev. A. W. De-
pew, of Abingdon, began preaching, with marked
success; Haynes Chapel being considered an
outlying station. By this time the Christian
Endeavorers numbered forty, and it was not
long before another Congregational church was
organized, with twenty-two members. Its first
pastor was Rev. Mr. Slater, who preached for
the congregation from May, 1894, to February,
1895. For nearly two years thereafter, the
church was without a regular pastor, but on
December 1, 1897, Rev. West Alden accepted
the congregation's call. The present member-
ship is thirty-eight, and the Young People's
Society is still maintained. The number of
Sunday schools in the township is three, with
an average attendance of thirty-six. Mr. J. K.
Lawrence is Orange Vice President for the
County Association.

The township was organized and its name
chosen at a meeting held April 3, 1853. The
name seems to have been selected on account
of the shape of the central prairie, which, in
those early days, was one of the most beautiful
spots in the State. Asa Haynes was elected
Supervisor; A. Barnett, Clerk; A. Pierce, As-
sessor; J. G. Rude, Collector; Peter Godfrey
and David Stephens, Constables; Samuel Mather
and J. Wallace, Overseers of the Poor; J. H.
McGrew, Thomas Gilbert and Morris Chase.
Highway Commissioners.

The chief industries are agriculture and stock
raising, although in those early days, brick
yards were started by Asa Haynes, Thompson
Rude, and Anderson Barnett. These ventures
proved unprofitable, however, and the kilns long
ago fell into disintegration and decay. From
the time of its settlement Orange ranked high
among the best cereal producing sections of the
county, although a lack of transportation facili-
ties prevented the marketing of the grain
raised. More than half was used in the fat-
tening of stock. Haynes, Godfrey and Sumner
Brothers manifested great interest in improv-



ing the quality of live stock, and were the first
to introduce spotted China hogs and short horn
cattle. The principal market of the pioneers
was Peoria, although Canton and Oquawka re-
ceived a fair share of the farm products. The
farmers hauled their produce by teams, receiv-
ing in exchange supplies which they carried
home to their expectant families. The opening
of the first railroad, in 1S54, altered the entire
situation, shippers now finding Chicago at once
the most accessible and most profitable market.

The only village in Orange is DeLong, a
fiourishing little station on the line of the
Narrow Gauge Road. It came into existence
in 1S82, and owes its being — as it does its name
— to S. H. Malory. He bought the site from
Wayne Marks when the preliminary survey of
the line was made, in anticipation of a station
being established thereon, and called the village
DeLong, in honor of the explorer of that name.
It can boast two general stores, a barber shop,
two blacksmith shops, two grain elevators, a
building containing a hall and store room, and
about a dozen residences. Its population is
about fifty, and it is a relatively important ship-
ping point for grain and stock.

Two societies have branches there. The Mod-
ern Woodmen established a camp in 1896, with
sixteen members. The first ofiicers were: C. A.
Clark, V. C; W. A. Wiley, C; A. L. Turner,

E. B.; F. Hopkins, W. A.; G. M. Clark, E.; E.
T. Haynes, W.; G. W. Logue, S.; W. H. Wiley,
J. Boston and J. F. Turner, Managers. The
present official staff is composed of: R. L.
Eiker, V. C; W. A. Wiley, C; E. Haynes, E. B.;
B. C. King, W. A.; C. Wollsey, E.; J. Eckman,
W.; E. Tucker, S.; L. Mather, W. Wise, and

F. N. Clark, Managers.

A lodge of Good Templars was organized in
the 'Fall of 1897, and has greatly prospered, its
present membership exceeding fifty. Its first
ofiicers were: H. L. Haynes, C. T.; Mrs. A.
Wiley, V. T.; Miss Amy Briley, Secretary; Miss
Sarah Haynes, Financial Secretary; E. T.
Haynes. Marshal.

The township furnished its full quota of
troops in both the Mexican and Civil wars, and
has within its borders one veteran of both —
the venerable Aaron Weir.

The census figures relative to population are
as follows: In 1840, four hundred and ninety;
in 1860, eight hundred and seventy-six; in 1870,
eleven hundred and sixty-seven; in 1880, eleven
hundred and thirty; in 1890, eight hundred and
fifty-one.



KNOX COUNTY.



ASA HAYNES.

Captain Asa Haynes was born in 1804, in
Dutchess County, New York. He was of Scotch-
Irish parentage, his grandfather, Enoch Haynes,
having come to this country early in its history,
together with a brother, William, who settled
in one of the Carolinas.

The mother of Asa Haynes died while her
son was an infant, and he was cared for by an
older sister. At nine years of age he was
"bound out." but six years later he rejoined his
father, who was "coming west." Clinton County,
Ohio, was their destination, and here the boy
helped clear the farm and shared in the toil
and hardship of pioneer life. Now and then in
the winter time he was sent to school for a
brief term, but he received altogether not more
than thirteen months of such instruction.

At the age of twenty-two he. together with
an older brother, purchased a farm; and four
years later. October 7, 1830. Mr. Haynes was
married to Miss Mary Gaddis, of Fayette County,
Pennsylvania. She was of Irish descent, was a
noted beauty, and there were many suitors for
her hand. She proved a devoted wife, and
cheerfully bore her part in the common burdens
of the time.

In 1836, Mr. and Mrs. Haynes removed to
Knox County. They occupied nineteen days
upon the trip, in almost continuous rain, finding
the rivers greatly swollen, and reaching their
journey's end only after much discomfort and
danger. They began their residence in Illinois
in a log cabin of one room, located in Section
30 of Orange Township, where Mr. Haynes had
purchased three hundred acres of land.

The enterprise of Asa Haynes was equal to
the opportunities afforded by the undeveloped
country. Soon after his arrival he started a
brick yard, and in 1840. built a saw-mill on
Brush Creek. His appreciation of the advant-
ages of education is evidenced by the tact that
in winter he opened a school in his own house
and taught it himself. In 1843. he built a large
frame barn — the largest in the county at the
time. The "raising" was an historic event;
with only three exceptions every man in Knox
County was present to assist. The next year
saw the erection of a fine two-story brick house
of twelve rooms, which is still standing. The
lumber for the barn and the brick for the
dwelling had been manufactured by Mr. Haynes
himself; most of the furniture was constructed
on the spot, a competent workman having been
secured for the purpose. A large number of
hands were employed upon the place, until it
seemed more like a colony than a farm. Sheep
were kept to supply the wool needed for cloth-
ing, and a tailoress was hired for six months
every year to cut and make the homespun suits.
With such a spirit of ambitious enterprise Mr.
Haynes prospered, and performed his part in
the development of Knox County. He was
County Commissioner and Supervisor for sev-
eral years.

Mr. Haynes was one of the celebrated "Jay-
hawkers" of 1849, and in that year, crossed the
plains as Captain of the company from Mon-



mouth. He was a republican, and during the
Civil War was outspoken in the expression of
loyal sentiments, and was several times threat-
ened by the notorious Knights of the Golden
Circle, though without effect. For many years,
he was a noted stock-raiser, having been the
first to introduce the spotted China hog, and
one of the three men who first brought short-
horn cattle into Knox County. He was one of
thei founders of the Knox County Agricultural
Society. At one time. Mr. Haynes owned nearly
one thousand acres of land in Orange Township,
five hundred acres in Iowa, and two fine farms
in California, where, for several years, he made
his home. In religion, he was a Protestant
Methodist. He died at the old homestead in
Orange Township, March 29. 1889.

Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Haynes; Clark, deceased; Margaret; Eliza-
beth; Anna M., deceased; Nancy; Mary E.;
Charles A.; and Elery, deceased. One son and
one daughter live in Kansas; two daughters
are living in Missouri, and one daughter lives
in Orange Township, near the old home.

WALTER REDD.

Walter Redd, son of John and Elizabeth
(Barber) Redd, was born in Shenandoah
County, Virginia, March 27, 1820. His father
was a farmer, and had served his country as a
soldier in the War of 1812. His parents died
while he was a lad of seven or eight years of
age. The early struggle for a livelihood was a
severe one, and the youth was glad to make a
living as best he could.

In February, 1842, Mr. Redd, in his twenty-
second year, came to Knox County. He had no
capital, and for a year and a half worked here
and there as he found opportunity. He then
went to Knoxville and secured employment in
a flour-mill, where he remained eight years
and thoroughly learned the miller's trade. Hav-
ing accumulated a little money, he purchased
one hundred and sixty acres of land on Sec-
tion 11 in Orange Township, where he lived
until his death, improving his land and adding
thereto until he had a farm of about three hun-
dred acres. Mr. Redd was a member of Knox-
ville Lodge, No. 66, A. F. and A. M. He was
a republican.

September 12. 1844, Mr. Redd was mar-
ried to Prances Allen, daughter of William
and Nancy (Wilkins) Allen. She was born in
Jefferson County, Indiana, April 5, 1826. Her
father was a native of Kentucky; her mother
was born in Pennsylvania. The Allen family
came to Knox County about 1836, and took up
land in Persifer Township, where Mr. and Mrs.
Allen remained until their death.

Mr. and Mrs. Redd are the parents of twelve
children; Benjamin F., deceased; Robert H.;
John W.; Julia and Julius, twins, both de-
ceased; Lorena; Blanch; Frank; Ida M., de-
ceased; Grace, deceased; Etta; and Harvey, de-
ceased. Robert married Melissa McDowell, and
is a farmer in Iowa; John married Clara Bar-
nett, and is a farmer in Colorado; Julia married
John F. Fink, ana lived in Nebraska; Lorena




"TPSilG^rilj^



KXOX CO U.N TV.



is the wife of Peter Hawley. and lives in Knox-
ville; Blanch is the wife of Julius J. Maxey,
and lives in Knox Township; Ida married Park
Garwood, ana her home was in Nebraska;
Grace married James Mowry. and lived in Iowa;
Etta is the wife of Frank Motter, and lives in
Persifer Township, Knox County.

ISRAEL TIRXEK.

Israel Turner was born in Chester County,
Pennsylvania, March 22. 1S12. His parents were
Henry and Susanna (Halderman) Turner, of
Pennsylvania. They were of Oerman ancestry.
Henry Turner was a stone-mason.

Israel Turner had no educational advantages
other than the district schools. At sixteen
years of age he found employment as a boat
hand on the Schuylkill and Union Canal, and
at nineteen was master of a boat. After three
years of this lite he left the canal, and learned
the trade of stone-cutter and mason, after
which he found steady employment in bridge
construction on the canal, and along the line
of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad.

In 1837, Mr. Turner came to Illinois, and, be-
ing favorably impressed with the fertility and
promise of the prairie soil, he entered a claim
for two hundred and forty acres of wild land
in Orange Township. Knox County, and in 1840,
began its cultivation. In addition, he found op-
portunity to work at his trade, and in 1S43, he
cut stone for the foundation of the first Con-
gregational church in Galesburg. From time
to time he added to the acreage of his farm, and
eventually became the owner of more than a
thousand acres in Orange and the adjoining
townships.

February 13. 1844, Mr. Turner was married to
Lucinda E. Hammond, daughter of George and
Elinor (Taylor) Hammond, She was born in
Waterville. Kennebec County. Maine, in 1826,
and came with her mother to Galesburg in 1843.
Mr. and Mrs Turner were the parents of eleven
children: Elizabeth E. married Michael En-
wright, and lives in Iowa: Henry W., who lives
on the old homestead, near DeLong: Hamilton
J. married Anna R. Grimm, and lives in Kan-
sas; Israel F. married Anna E. Howerter. and
lives in DeLong, Orange Township; Anna E.
married Henry A. Howerter. and lives in Ful-
ton County, Illinois: Isaac P. and Willoughby
F.. deceased; Abraham L. married Hattie C.



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 194 of 207)