Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 195 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 195 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Haynes, and lives at DeLong: Lenora A. mar-
ried Albert C. Howerter. of DeLong: Elnora C,
deceased; and Otis G. who married Lydia Tuck-
er, and resides at DeLong.

Mr. Turner was, and his wife is. a member of
the Missionary Baptist Church. In politics. Mr.
Turner was a republican. He died Februarv 5,
18S8.

BORRELL. JAMES: Farmer: Orange Town-
ship; born in England. July 31. 1842; educated
in the common schools. His parents, Pattan
and Roseanah (Johnson) Borrell, were English,
as were his paternal grandparents, James and
Elizabeth (Pattan) Borrell, and his maternal
grandfather, Johnson. March 27. 1867, Mr. Bor-
rell was married to Eva N. Roberts, in Knox-



ville. Illinois. They have had four children:
Mary I., Fannie E., Charlie P. and Lenna L.
In politics. Mr. Borrell is a republican. He
holds the office of School Director.

CLARK, FRANK NELSON; Stockman;
Orange Township; born July 15, 1864, at the
Clark homestead. Orange Township; educated
in Knox County. His parents are Luther and
Sarah (Yeager) Clark, the former from New
Jersey; his grandfather was Abraham Clark.
Mr. Frank N. Clark was married in Knoxville
February 7, 1889, to Jennie R., daughter of John
R. Wilder, of Knoxville. His father, Luther
Clark, came from New Jersey to Knox County
with his parents in 1843. and now owns a farm
of two hundred and twenty acres. Frank N.
was brought up on his father's farm, and be-
came a practical farmer. When a boy ten years
of age he was given charge of the swine which
he bought, sold and improved according to his
own good judgment which was remarkable.
After clerking three winters in Knoxville, he
returned to the farm, at the age of twenty-four,
and became well known as the owner of the
"Orange Herd" of Poland China hogs. This
stock is recorded; and one pig, Hadlev's Model,
No. 3.5913, is valued at $3,000. Mr. Clark is a
republican, and a member of the Modern Wood-
men of America.

DUNBAR, JAMES W.; Farmer; Orange
Township; born February 13, 1856, in Macon
County, Illinois; educated in the Orange Town-
ship common schools and at St. Alban's Col-
lege. Knoxville, Illinois. His parents were
Chauncey Dunbar of Ashtabula County, Ohio,
and Debby Ann (Woolsey) Dunbar of Saratoga
County, New York. His paternal grandparents,
Thomas and Ruth (Harper) Dunbar, were rrom
Ohio; his great-grandfather was Jacob Dunbar;
his maternal grandparents, John and Elizabeth
(Bradshaw) Woolsey, came from New York.
Mr. Dunbar was married to Ida A. Cox, Decem-
ber 23, 1881, in Macon County. Their children
are: Chauncey A. and Lenna A. Mrs. Dunbar
was the daughter of John F. and Mary A. (Car-
ver) Cox, of Macon County. Mr. Dunbar came
to Knox County with his father in 1857; his
father died June 1, 1898, leaving two sons and
two daughters: John L.. James W.. Lucy A.,
and Eliza A. A son, Thomas, died in 1886. " The
mother died in 1890. The family came from
Scotland at an early day. and settled in Ohio in
1798. Mr. James W. Dunbar lives on a well im-
proved farm near DeLong.

DUNBAR, JOHN L.; Farmer: Orange Town-
ship: born in Marion County. Ohio, December
31. 1842; educated in the common schools. His
parents were Chauncey Dunbar of Ashtabula
County. Ohio, and Debby A. (Woolsey) Dunbar
of Saratoga County. New York; his paternal
grandparents were Thomas and Ruth (Harper)
Dunbar of Ohio; his maternal grandparents
were John and Elizabeth (Bradshaw) Woolsey
of New York; his great-grandfather was Jacob
Dunbar. The Dunbars came from Scotland and
settled in New York, whence they removed to



KNOX COUNTY.



Ohio in 1798; the grandfather was a soldier iu
the Revolution. John L. came to Illinois with
his father in 1S57; the father died June 1, 1898;
the mother died in 1891. Mr. Dunbar lives with
his two sisters upon the homestead. He is a
republican.

EIKER, JOHN CALVIN; Farmer; Orange
Township; born January 24, 1833, in Adams
County, Pennsylvania, where he was educated
in the common schools. His parents were John
Eiker of Carroll County, Maryland, and Char-
lotte (Myers) Eiker of Fredericks City, Mary-
land; his paternal grandfather was David
Eiker; his paternal great-grandfather, Abraham
Eiker. a miller by trade, came from Germany
and settled in Maryland; his maternal great-
grandparents were Lawrence Myers, of Ger-
many and Rebecca Horner. Mr. Eiker was mar-
ried in Knoxville March 4, 1858, to Sarah Agnes
Armstrong. They have six children: Calvin A.;
Edith May; Blanch M., wife of A. R. Green;
Charlotte, wife of Gilbert Scott; Elmer Grant;
and Roy Leander. Mr. Biker's father drove his
family overland from Pennsylvania to Knox
County in 1852. He was a miller and farmer,
and in 1863, removed to Decatur, Iowa, where
he died at the age of eighty years. His wife
died at the age of seventy-three. John C. Eiker
was nineteen years old when he came to Knox
County. He is a very successful and progressive
farmer and owns two hundred and twenty acres
of finely improved land. In 1874, he was elected
President of the Farmers' Fire and Lightning
Insurance Company, and during his twenty-five
years of service, has rendered valuable aid to
the association. He is a member of the Presby-
terian Church. In politics, he is a republican,
and has filled most of the local offices.

FERGUSON, ANDREW J.; Farmer; Orange
Township, where he was born April 25, 1836;
educated in the district schools. His father,
James Ferguson, was from Barren County, Ken-
tucky, while his mother, Martha (Maxey), came
from Buckingham County, Virginia. His pa-
ternal grandmother was a native of Ireland,
while his grandfather, Ferguson, was from
Scotland. His maternal grandmother's maiden
name was Woodfin, and both she and his grand-
father, Maxey, were natives of Virginia. De-
cember 25, 1S'J7, Mr. Ferguson married Victoria
Woodmansee in Knox County; they have had
three children, James A., George L., and Bessie
L. In politics, Mr. Ferguson is a democrat.



FERGUSON, JAMES A.; Farmer; Orange
Township; born August 23, 1869; educated in
the common schools. His father, Andrew J.
Ferguson and his grandfather, James Ferguson,
came from Kentucky to Orange Township about
1836. Mr. Ferguson was married to Minnie
Mather, daughter of Richard Mather, at Gales-
burg, February 3, 1893. They have one child,
Edith. Mr. Ferguson is a democrat.

GADDIS, JACOB; Farmer; Orange Township;
born June 9 1837, in Orange Township; edu-
cated in the common schools. His parents were



James Gaddis of Pennsylvania, and Margaret
(Sunderland) Gaddis of New Jersey. He was
married to Luella L. Kennedy in Knoxville, Illi-
nois, December 24, 1857; their children are:
John H., Charles W., Henry, Frank E., Emma" J.
(Mrs. M. Pink), Clara B. (Mrs. Albert Turner),
Mary (Mrs. Robert Haines), Martha (Mrs. Har-
vey Redd), Ora, and two deceased. James Gad-
dis was a farmer and came to Orange Township
in 1836; he died in 1874, leaving two sons:
Thomas and Jacob. After his marriage, Mr.
Jacob Gaddis came to the farm he now occu-
pies, and soon became a prominent farmer of
the township. He is a democrat, and was High-
way Commissioner for sometime, and School
Director for fifteen years.

LONG, GEORGE; Farmer; Orange Town-
ship; born September 14, 181'7, near Pittsburg,
Pennsylvania; educated in the common schools.
His parents, George and Catherine (Duffy)
Long, came from Pennsylvania. He was married
to Susanna, daughter of David Belden, in Gales-
burg, November 20, 1851. They had five chil-
dren: George H., Jane, Anna, Catherine Bell,
and Martha. Martha was married to Charles
Hutson, son of George Hutson; they have one
son, Chester. Mr. Long came with his father and
family from Ohio to Knox County, in 1835, and
settled at Knoxville. In 1840, he settled on the
farm where his father died in 1862, leaving
three sons. Mrs. Long died in 1884, since which
time, Mr. Long has lived with his daughter,
Martha. Mr. L,ong is a republican. He has
traveled extensively.

MASSEY, ANSON (deceased); Farmer;
Orange Township; born in May, 1817, at Wil-
mington, Ohio, where he was educated. His
parents were james and Elizabeth (Hale) Mas-
sey of North Carolina; his grandfathers were
Francis Massey of North Carolina, and Jacob
Hale of Pennsylvania. He was married to Eliz-
abeth Hill, February 7, 1S38, in Clinton County,
Ohio. Their children are: Louisa, Isaac,
Frank, Mary, Eli, Katharine E., Julia Martha,
and Alfred. Isaac and Frank served in the
Civil War. Katharine E. was married to Wil-
liam McCleary; their children are: George S.,
Nancy J., Lena C, Frank A., Elmer E., William
M., Cora Edith, and Mary Elizabeth. Mr. Mas-
sey came to Knox County in June, 1844, with his
wife and three children. They spent one winter
in Knoxville and then removed to Abingdon,
where he worked at his trade of harnessmaker
until he began to farm in Orange Township.
He died in February, 1894. Mrs. Massey was
the daughter of Ephriam R. and Content
(Haynes) Hill. The father of E. R. Hill was
Isaac Hill, who was born at Newberg, New
York. Mrs. E. R. Hill was born in Dutchess
County, New York, and was the daughter of
Enoch and Elizabeth (Birdsell) Haynes. Enoch
Haynes was a son of Asa Haynes, a native of
Scotland, who bought land on the Croton River,
New York, which is still owned by his descend-
ants. Robert E. Hill, brother of Mrs. Massey,
came to Knox County in the Spring of 1838.




-eM^'c^iuX' x/cc^i^^



tun^^tjzjk^



KXOX OOUATY.



U13



In 1839, he bought the farm of one hundred and
sixty-five acres where Mrs. Massey now lives.
He was highly respected by all. The great-
great-grandfatUer, Asa Haynes, had a brother,
William, who settled in South Carolina, and
who was the ancestor of the Hayues family of
the South. In politics, Mr. Anson Massey was a
republican.

REYNOLDS, GEORGE E.; Farmer; Orange
Township; born 1S57, in Knox Township; edu-
cated at Lombard University, Galesburg. He is
a son of Edward Reynolds. He went to Wood
County in 1S80. In 1SS2, Mr. Reynolds was
married to Sarah McNeal, who died, leaving
three children: Clarence, Aline and Mary. His
second marriage was with Mrs. Ida Moore, in
1890, daughter of Thomas Smith, of Knoxville,
Illinois. They have one daughter, Josephine.
Mr. Reynolds came to Orange Township in 1S85,
where he has since lived. He is a member of
the Christian Church. He is a republican.

SHREEVES, LEMUEL W.; Farmer; Orange
Township; born January 2S, 1854, in Bedford
County, Pennsylvania; educated in the com-
mon schools. He was married February 19,
1874, to Martha Beecham, in Galesburg. They
have had six children, of whom five are living:
Roy, Elva, Okey, Carrie Inez, and Bertha. Mr.
Shreeves is the son of David and Mary A. (Hor-
ton) Shreeves of Pennsylvania. His grand-
father, Edward Shreeves of England, died in
1870. David Shreeves came to Knox County May
10, 1855, and settled on the line between Knox
and Fulton counties, buying a large tract of
land, which he farmed until his death in 1873.
Lemuel W. stayed on the home farm till 1898,
when he came co Orange Township. Mr.
Shreeves is a Methodist. In politics, he is a
democrat.

STEELE, ALONZO T.; Farmer; Orange
Township; born June 15, 1851. in West Vir-
ginia; educated in the common schools. His
parents are John and Mary E. Steele. They
came to Illinois in 1851, and settled in Peoria
County and moved to a farm near Gilson, Knox
County, in 1875; they now reside in Gilson, Haw
Creek Township. Alonzo T. Steele lived on the
farm in Persifer Township until 1SS8, when he
removed to Knoxville and engaged in the lum-
ber business. In 1892, he moved to a farm in
Orange Township. He was married to Sarah
L., daughter of Peter Lacy, near Gilson, De-
cember 4, 1875. Their children are: Ella,
Arthur, Loy, William, Harley and Faye. Ella
was married to Edwin D. Cramer of DeLong.
September 8, 1898. Mr. Steele is a member of
the Congregational Church. He is a republican.

TURNER, SAMUEL M.; Farmer; Orange
Township; born October 6. 1853. in Chester
County, Pennsylvania; educated in the common
schools. His father was William Turner of
Lancaster, Pennsylvania; his mother's maiden
name was Reflnger. His grandfather was Wil-
liam Turner. Mr. S. M. Turner married Mary E.
Metcalf in 1884, in Orange Township; their chil-
dren are: Orin, Lee, Jennie, Eva, Gertrude,



Maud, Pearl, and Mark. Mrs. Turner died Febru-
ary 28, 1897. Mr. Turners father was a farmer
and came to Knox County in 1851. He died in
189G. aged seventy-nine years, and left six
sons and three daughters. Mr. Turner is a dem-
ocrat.

WILEY, WILLIAM A.; Merchant; born in
Orange Township, Knox County, Illinois, April
6, 1869. His parents were William H. Wiley, of
Wayne County, Indiana, and Nancy J. (Haynes)
Wiley, of Orange Township. His paternal
grandparents were John Wiley of Bartonia, In-
diana, and Mary A. (Hall) Wiley. His ma-
ternal grandparents were Asa Haynes, of
Dutchess County, New York, and Mary J. (Gad-
dis) Haynes of Fayette County. Pennsylvania.
His great-grandparents were Thomas and Nancy
(Broden) Wiley of Bethel, Indiana. Mr. Wiley
was married to Anna M. Beamer, at DeLong,
Illinois, August 28, 1S90. She was born in Get-
tysburg, Pennsylvania. June 23, 1870, and came
to Illinois with her parents when five years of
age. Her parents, Henry M. and Maria (Stor-
rick) Beamer, now live in Knoxville. Mr. and
Mrs. Wiley's children are: Elsie Mildred, born
at DeLong June 8, 1891; and Charles Leslie,
born at DeLong May 13, 1895, and died June 12,
1897. Mr. Wiley graduated from the Western
Business College, Galesburg, in 1891. He is in
partnership with his father in a general mer-
chandise store under the firm name of W. H.
Wiley and Son. His father was a soldier in the
War of the Rebellion; he was Supervisor for
three years. In religion, Mr. W. A. Wiley is a
Congregationalist. He is a republican, and at
present holds the office of Supervisor. In 1892.
he was elected Justice of the Peace, holding the
office for four years. He was then elected Town
Clerk, which office he held until his election as
Supervisor.

WILEY, WILLIAM H.; Farmer and Mer-
chant; DeLong, Orange Township; born in In-
diana in 1845; educated in Knox County. Mr.
Wiley's parents were John and Mary (Hall)
Wiley, natives of Indiana. His paternal grand-
parents, Edward and Nancy (Braden) Wiley,
were Virginians. His maternal grandfather
was born in the South, and his matPrnal grand-
mother, Ruth (Nance), was a Virginian. In
1867, Mr. Wiley was married to Miss N. J.
Haynes. They have two children: William A.
and Winifred H. Mr. Wiley has been a memoer
of the Protestant Methodist Church for twenty-
five years. In politics, he is a republican. He
enlisted at Knoxville, Illinois. November 8, 18C3,
in Company D. Seventh Regiment. Illinois Cav-
alry, and participated in the following battles:
Collierville. Moscow. Summerville. Coldwater,
Pulaski. Camelville. Duck Creek. Franklin,
Nashville, Springhill. and other smaller skirm-
ishes. He was mustered out at Nashville. Ten-
nessee; and was discharged at Springfield. Illi-
nois, November 9, 18(15. Mr. Wiley has held the
following offices: Supervisor, Justice of the
Peace, School Director, and Postmaster at De-
Long, which position he has filled for twelve
years and still holds.



i)14



KNOX COUNTY.



CEDAR TOW>SHIP.

By J. P. Latimer.

This is one of the most fertile, best cultivated
townships in Knox County. Cherry Grove cov-
ers about six square miles of its surface, extend-
ing along the entire western side, and for a little
more than two miles the timber which skirts
either side of Brush Creek extends over several
sections. Between the two stretches a beautiful
strip of rolling prairie, that can scarce any-
where be surpassed for farming purposes.
Brush Creek and its branches, on the east, and
the tributaries of Cedar Creek, on the west,
water the township, a stream flowing through
nearly every half section. Cedar was originally
well timbered, there having been heavy growths
of many varieties of valuable woods, notably
of sugar maple and of different kinds of oak,
â– walnut, wild cherry, elm, ash, basswood and
hickory. The abundance of the wild cherry
was the reason for the naming of the first set-
tlement Cherry Grove, which name was also
at first given to the township. Good coal and a
limited amount of building stone are also found.

The first settlers were Azel Dorsey. on Sec-
tion IS, and Rev. Hiram Palmer, a Methodist
minister, on Section 7, both of whom came
in 1S2S. In 1829, A. D. Swarts, founder of
Abingdon and Hedding College, settled on Sec-
tion 17. At his house Rev. Mr. Palmer preached
the first sermon ever heard in the township.

The first members of the Latimer family to
reach here were Joseph and his son George,
who came from Tennessee in 1S31, and settled on
Section 29. Jonathan Latimer and his father-
in-law, Jacob West, settled on Section 28 in the
following year. About the same time his broth-
ers, John C. and Alexander Latimer, his wid-
owed sister, Mrs. Richard Boren, and his broth-
ers-in-law, U. D. Coy and Israel Marshall, set-
tled along the timber, believing, in common
with other settlers, that the prairie land was
valueless and would never be pre-empted and
occupied. In 1S33, Joshua Bland settled on
Section 16, and his son-in-law, William Bevins,
settled on Section 23 in 1834. The same year
came Lewis and Bennett Spurlock, Reuben Cas-
tle and Blisha Humiston, and, shortly after-
ward, Hugh Kelly arrived.

The settlers were compelled to go to Ellisville
to have their grain ground into meal or flour.
The mill was small, and at times the grists
were many and the farmers were sometimes
oliliged to wait for their turn, which was al-
ways given in due rotation. In 1833, Joshua



Bland erected a horse power corn cracker on
Section 16, which proved a very welcome addi-
tion to the comfort of the pioneers.

The first birth was in November, 1829, Helen
E. Swarts. The first marriage celebrated was
that of U. D. Coy and Susan Latimer, in De-
cember, 1833. The first death was the demise
of Miss Olive Strange, in 1834. In 1832, Robert
Bell taught what was the first school in Cherry
Grove settlement, and the second in Knox
County. At the present time, outside of Abing-
don, there are eight district schools, with four
hundred and thirteen pupils. The school houses,
two of brick and six frame, are valued at nine
thousand six hundred dollars. Cherry Grove
Seminary was founded by Jonathan Latimer,
and other members of the Cumberland Presby-
terian denomination, and was located on Section
29. From the minutes of the Presbytery, it is
established that this school opened prior to
1840, under the charge of Rev. Cyrus Haynes,
a minister of that creed. He remained at its
head for about eight years, and made the insti-
tution widely and favorably known. In 1866, the
Cumberland Presbyterians established a col-
lege at Lincoln, Illinois, and this seminary was
abandoned.

Prior to 1850 Indian Point and Cedar town-
ships were known together as the Cherry Grove
voting precinct. Cherry Grove was separated
and given a distinct name by order of the
County Judge on January 14, 1850. However,
the first Board of Supervisors on June 6, 1853,
renamed it Cedar, for the reason that the Sec-
retary of State decided that another Illinois
township had prior right to the name "Cherry
Grove." On April 5, 1853, a meeting was held
for the purpose of perfecting a township organ-
ization. The voters chose Hugh A. Kelly, Mod-
erator, and L. W. Conger, Clerk. E. P. Dun-
lap was elected Supervisor; William Marks,
Clerk; William Lang, Assessor; James W.
Smoot, Collector; J. W. Stephens and W. H.
Heller, Commissioners of Highways; P. M.
Shoop and Joseph Harvey, Justices of the
Peace; Thomas S. Bassit, Overseer of the Poor;
Solomon Stegall and Eli Butler, Constables.
The election was held at what was then known
as Louisville, about three miles north of Abing-
don, on Section 16. A vote was also taken for
the place of holding the next election, which
resulted in favor of Louisville.

The town last named was laid out by John
S. Garrett, on the southwest quarter of Section
16. It was platted September 30, 1836, and for



KNOX C O U N" T Y.



a time was the chief place in the southwestern
part of the county. The growth of Abingdon
killed it, and now there is only a district school
to mark its site.

In 1855, the place for holding elections was
changed to Abingdon, where they have been
held ever since. The last named place is
now the only town in Cedar, Louisville
being only a farm and Saluda a flag
station on the Chicago, Burlington and
Quincy Railroad.

Before the first election of President Lincoln,
the township was democratic, but since that
date it has been strongly republican, although
in local elections party lines were disregarded
until within the last few years.

From 1870 until 1890 there was a slight de-
crease in population, but within the last nine
years the increase, owing chiefly to the growth
of Abingdon, has been such that at the meeting
of the Board of Supervisors in July, 1S97, the
population having passed the maximum for one
voting precinct, the township was divided into
two, although both polling places were located
in Abingdon.

Cedar has always been noted for its high
standard of morality and intelligence obtaining
among the people. Churches were established
very early in its history. The Methodists or-
ganized in 1833, at the house of Joseph Latimer,
with the following members: A. D. Swarts and
wife, Mr. Finch and wife, Mrs. Jonathan Lati-
mer and Joseph Latimer and wife. For several
years the church existed as a mission, services
being held at the homes of the various members
and later at school houses, until, in time, the
denomination had grown strong enough to erect
a church at Abingdon, Their first quarterly
meeting was held at the home of Jacob West
and conducted by the renowned Peter Cart-
wright, who preached frequently to this charge.
Its growth in membership and usefulness has
been steady, until now it is the largest in the
township. At the present time the denomina-
tion holds, in addition to those at the Abingdon
Church, regular services at Warren Chapel,
which is located in the northwestern part of the
township.

The Cumberland Presbyterian Church in
Cedar dates its beginning from about 1834 or
1835, with fifteen members. Not long thereafter
they erected a house of worship, said to have
been the first church building in the county. It
stood about one mile and a half northwest of
Abingdon, and was used for a number of years



as a class room for Cherry Grove Seminary.
The denomination's influence, in both school
and church affairs, has been potent through-
out this entire section of the county.
In 1866 the congregation removed to Abing-
don. Subsequently it afllliated itself with
the Congregational denomination and be-
came the present Congregational communion of
Abingdon.

In addition to the bodies mentioned, the re-'
ligious history of the township has embraced
organizations of Protestant Methodists, United
Brethren, Baptists, a Methodist Episcopal
chui-ch at Louisville and an early Congrega-
tional church, all of which have been gradually
merged into the three churches named.

The chief industries are farming, and breed-
ing and raising fine stock. Coal mining is also
carried on to a very limited extent. Heretofore,
large herds of short-horn, Hereford, Galloway,
Angus, Holstein and Jersey cattle have been
bred in the township. At the present time, the
principal stock raising interest centers in
the short-horn, Angus and Jersey breeds,
representatives of the two latter having taken
high honors at the World's Fair in Chicago in
1893.

During the Civil War, no township in Knox
County responded to the Nation's call more
nobly or with greater readiness than Cedar, al-
ways keeping in the field more than her share
of the county s quota. No draft was ever made
in Cedar Township. Official statistics show that
over two hundred and twenty-five volunteers
enlisted, some of them descendants of heroes
who had proved their loyalty to their country
and its flag in earlier struggles. Of these old
settlers sleeping in the cemeteries, there are
seventeen soldiers of the War of 1812, four of
the early Indian wars and two of the Mexican
War. Of the soldiers of the Civil War, forty-
nine are buried within the township limits.
Their living comrades, members of Post 58,
Grand Army of the Republic, at Abingdon, an-
nually, on May 30, preserve the memory of their
devotion and self-sacrifice, their toils and tri-



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 195 of 207)