Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 199 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 199 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Hunter, born and reared in Clinton County,
Ohio; his paternal grandfather, James Hunter,
was a native of the same state, while his pater-
nal grandmother, Harriet (Neal), was born in
Hagerstown, Maryland. His grandfather,
James Hunter, was a native of Ireland, where
he was a teacher. Charles N. Hunter was a
merchant and stockraiser in Ohio, where he at
one time was considered one of the wealthy
men. He died in 1876, aged forty-six years.
Politically, he was a democrat. He was a
member of the Christian church. November 16,
1876, at Hermon, Illinois, J. W. Hunter mar-
ried Sarah A. Smith, a daughter of Charles
Smith, a well-to-do farmer. They had two chil-
dren: Charles M. and Isadora. The latter died
in infancy. Mr. Hunter was reared on a farm
in Ohio. He began teaching school when a
young man; he taught in Ohio and Indiana, and
at Olney and in Knox County, Illinois. In 1873,
he was admitted to the Bar in Indiana, and af-
terwards continued his studies with ex-State
Treasurer 'Wilson. In 1874 he came to Knox
County and settled at Hermon, where he taught
school for two years, when he married and
began farming near Hermon. He became
prominent in the democratic party of the town-
ship, and was elected Justice of the Peace. In
1887. he was elected Supervisor from Indian
Point Township. In 1888. he was elected to the
Legislature, and re-elected in 1890. In 1892, was
nominated for member of Congress from the
Tenth District and fell but a little short of elec-
tion. February 20, 1894, he was appointed Dep-
uty Collector of internal Revenues for the Fifth
District of Illinois, and held the office until
1898, when he moved to Abingdon. During
1889-90, Mr. Hunter was engaged in the mer-
cantile business at Hermon, Illinois. His wife
died July 15, 1899. In religion, Mr. Hunter is
a Christian.

MAGINNIS, JOHN 'WESLEY; Postmaster at
Abingdon; born at Morristown, onio, July 10,
1838, where he was educated in the district
schools. He came to Bureau County, Illinois
in 1857. Prior to the 'War, he followed the car-
penter trade, but when the news of the firing
on Fort Sumpter reached him, at 9 o'clock in
the morning, he left his bench, and was an en-
rolled soldier before 3 o'clock the same day. He
served with Company B, Fifty-seventh Illinois
Volunteers, until August 1, 1862, when he was
discharged on account of illness. For twenty-
five years he was in the employ of the Chicago,
Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company at
Maiden and Abingdon. lUionis, to which latter
place he moved in 1866. He served four terms
as Collector of Cedar Township, and for ten



KNOX COUNTY.



years was Constable in the same township and
Bailiff in the Knox County Circuit Court. Mr.
Maginnis' parents were Methodists, and he has
adhered to that faith during his life. In poli-
tics, he never wavered from republicanism in
its purest form. He was appointed Postmaster
of Abingdon by President McKinley in recog-
nition of his army service and fidelity to and
active service in the republican party. On
November 27, 1868, he was married in Abing-
don to Maria Jane Richey. They are the par-
ents of the following children: Albert Richey;
Etha Mabel; Samuel Archie, deceased; Arta
Velma; Anna Maria; John Scott; and William
James. Albert is a member of Company D,
Sixth Illinois Volunteers. Mr. Maginnis' father
was Daniel Maginnis, a native of Loudon
County, Virginia, who married Eva McClure, a
native of Pennsylvania. His paternal grand-
parents were natives of Ireland.

MAIN, Vi^ILLlAM B.; Retired Farmer and
Merchant; Abingdon; born in Otsego County,
New York, December 7, 1835; educated in the
common schools of New York State. His par-
ents, Thomas P. and Laura (Allen) Main, were
both natives of Otsego County, New York. His
paternal grandparents were Joseph and Jane
(Blanchard) Main. Peter Main, who settled in
Connecticut in 1680. was a native of Scotland.
W. B. Main came to Knox County, Illinois, in
1857, and located at Altona. In 1861, he enlisted
in Company I, Seventeenth Illinois Volunteers,
and served until 1862, when he was discharged
for disability, having been wounded at Fort
Donelson. Later he settled at Galesburg, and
was a conductor on the Chicago, Burling-
ton and Quincy Railroad until 1879, when
he removed to Abingdon, where he en-
gaged in the hardware business, in which he
was successful from the beginning, and soon
controlled the largest business of its kind in
this section of the State. He also bought sev-
eral farms which he managed for some years.
He retired from the hardware business in 1897.
January 17. 1865, Mr. Main married Miss Har-
riet M. Bill, in Bainbridge, New York; they
have had two children: Carrie E. (now Mrs.
Claude Byram), born June 20, 1870; and George
W., horn August 19, 1875. Mr. Main is a prom-
inent member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, is a trustee of Hedding College and
treasurer of its endowment fund. In politics,
Mr. Main is a republican. He was Mayor of
Abingdon in 1882. He is looked up to as one
of the most prominent men of the city.

McWILLIAMS, SEYMOUR; Merchant; Ab-
ingdon; born March 14, 1861. in Mercer County,
Pennsylvania; educated in the common schools.
His father, John McWilliams, was a native of
Pennsylvania, and his paternal grandfather was
Robert C. McWilliams. Mr. McWilliams was
married to Jennie Bell, April 8, 1885, in Law-
rence County, Pennsylvania. Four of their five
children are living: Jennie O.. John R., Mark
D. and Luke S. Mr. McWilliams came to Gales-
burg, Knox County, in 1883, and in 1885, began
a grocery business in Abingdon, which he con-
tinued from 1885 to 1892. In religion, he is a



Methodist. In politics, he is a democrat, and
in 1894, was appointed Postmaster for four
years. He was elected Supervisor in 1890, 1892,
and again in 1899. In 1899, he was Collector.
Mr. McWilliams has always taken a keen inter-
est in town affairs.

MERRICKS, WILLIAM A.; Merchant and
Farmer; Abingdon; born December 7, 1828, in
Cabell County, West Virginia; educated in the
common schools of Knox County, Illinois. Mr.
Merricks came to Knox County in 1839, and
after living with different farmers spent some
years as a clerk. In 1880, he went into the
grocery and farming business which he con-
ducted until 1885. He now keeps a dairy, but
haa retired from active business life. April 15,
1852, Mr. Merricks was married in Abingdon to
Hannah E. (Chesney). They have four chil-
dren: Clayton 0., Jesse J., Blanch E. and Fan-
nie E. Mrs. Merricks is a daughter of Kent M.
Chesney, who came to Knox County in 1836, and
died in Topeka, Kansas. After his marriage
Mr. Merricks settled in Abingdon and from
there managed his farm for many years. He
was the first City Marshal of Abingdon, and is
now serving his tenth term as Alderman of
the Fourth Ward, his election having met with
very little opposition. He was Collector for
some years. Mr. Merricks is a Christian in
religion. In politics, he is a republican.

MOSSBR, CORLISS GLENN; Merchant and
Banker; Abingdon; born in Abingdon February
24, 1870; educated in Hedding College. Mr.
Mosser's parents are John Mosser, a prominent
merchant and banker of Abingdon, and Sarah
J. (Carroll), daughter of William and Sarah
Carroll. January 14, 1896, at Grand Ridge, La
Salle County, Illinois, Mr. Mosser married Eliz-
abeth Snedaker. Mr. Mosser was for two years,
1896 and 1897, Mayor of Abingdon, and is now
President of the Library Board.

MOSSER, JOHN; Merchant and Banker;
Abingdon; born January 1, 1832, in Preston
County, West Virginia. His father, also John
Mosser, was born in Maryland, and his mother,
Susan (Frankhauser), was a native of Vir-
ginia; both parents were of German descent.
The paternal grandparents settled in Maryland,
where they died. Mr. Mosser's first wife was
Mary, daughter of William and Sarah Carroll,
who was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
The marriage took place in McDonough County,
Illinois, in 1860; they had two children: Sam-
uel T.; and Ida L., wife of J. W. Reed, a drug-
gist in Quincy, Illinois. Mrs. Mosser died Octo-
ber 21, 1866. Mr. Mosser was married to Sarah
J. Carroll, sister of his first wife, November
24, 1867; three children were born to them:
Corliss G., Stacy C. and Lloyd L. The Carrolls
were an old and prominent family in Fayette
County, Pennsylvania. Stacy C. Mosser is a
graduate of the University of Chicago, class of
'97, and is now a reporter for the Chicago Times-
Herald. John Mosser was reared to manhood
in the old Virginia homestead, the only one of
six sons who remained with the parents until
reaching majority, and he left home without a
dollar, but with the conviction that he had



KNOX C U N T Y.



done his filial duty. He found employment at
$13.00 per montli. the largest wages paid in
that locality, the lact causing considerable talk
in the neighborhood. In 1S55, he came to Illi-
nois and settled in McDonough County, where
he followed the blacksmith trade with his
brother Jacob. After a partnership of nine
years, they started a general store in Abing-
don, February, 1864, which John Mosser and a
third partner, John Reed, conducted eleven
years, Jacob Mosser remaining a partner only
five years. The business is now devoted ex-
clusively to dry goods, and boots and shoes,
under the firm name of John Mosser and Son;
they also conduct a private bank. Mr. Mosser
owns a fine farm of two hundred and forty
acres in Cedar Township, and a quarter section
of land in Coffee County, Kansas. He owns the
Post Office building in Abingdon, and the build-
ings where his dry goods and banking business
is conducted. He is a member of the I. O. of
O. F. and of the A. 0. U. W. In politics, he
was formerly a democrat, but is now a prohi-
bitionist. He was Mayor of the city of Abing-
don four terms, and Supervisor two terms. Mr.
Mosser is the oldest merchant in Abingdon, and
one of the most respected citizens.

MOSSER, SAMUEL THEODORE; Merchant
and Manufacturer; Abingdon; born November
2, 1861, in Industry, Illinois; educated in the
public schools of Abingdon and in Hedding Col-
lege, graduating in 1884. His father, John Mos-
ser, is a prominent merchant and banker of
Abingdon, and his mother was Mary (Carroll)
Mosser, who died October 21, 1866. Samuel T.
Mosser had, during the time of his education,
assisted his father in the dry goods business,
and in 1885, he became a partner and its suc-
cessful general manager, materially increasing
the business during a period of seven years. In
August, 1889, in company with J. W. Cox and
J. W. McCown, he organized the Globe Manu-
facturing Company, for the manufacture of
workingmen's clothing, the first manufactur-
ing industry in the city, which proved a boon to
Abingdon. They rented an old building and
started ten machines, and engaged a flrst-class
cutter. Their business was successful from the
start, and increased rapidly, and the following
year, 1S90, a two-story building was erected,
one hundred feet long by forty feet wide, which
was occupied in July. Later, an addition, fifty
feet by forty, was added, and in this large
building one hundred machines are operated,
employing one hundred and twenty-five people
throughout the year. In this establisnment,
good wages are paid, better than in most simi-
lar concerns in the State. January 1, 1892.
J. W. McCown retired from the business. Of
this business, unique in the county, if not in
the State, Mr. Mosser is the practical man-
ager, while Mr. Cox travels on. the road as one
of salesmen. January 26. 1887, Mr. Mosser mar-
ried Kate E. Newell, daughter of Thomas New-
ell, president of the First National Bank of
Abingdon; one daughter was born to them:
Leigh Marie Mosser, born February 14. 1893,
died January 27, 1899. Mr. Mosser was Secre-



tary and Treasurer of the Building Committee
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, whose house
of worship would be a credit to a much larger
city than Abingdon. It was he who induced
the people to adopt stone as a material, and
the present magnificent proportions of the edi-
fice are largely due to his energy. He raised a
subscription of $2,000.00 for the organ, and he
has led the choir for fifteen years. Mr. Mosser
has proved a useful citizen in many ways, and
IS held in high esteem in the community.

RICHEY, JAMES; Mayor of Abingdon; born
January 22, 1842, in Ireland; educated in Abing-
don. His parents were William and Jane
(Scott) Richey of Ireland. The family on both
sides are of Scotch descent. Mr. Richey was
married to Sarelda Haney, in Abingdon, in 1871.
Their children are, K. M. Buttler, and Haney.
Mr. Richey came with his parents from Colum-
biana County, Ohio, in 1853, and settled in
Abingdon, where his father died July 6, 1876,
at the age of sixty-five. His father was a dem-
ocrat; he was successful in business and well
known in the county; his wife died September
28, 1899; eight of their children reached ma-
turity. James Richey is a republican. He was
City Marshal in Abingdon for nine years, and
then went to Galesburg, where he was Deputy
Sheriff for eight years; he was Sheriff of the
county four years and Chief of Police in Gales-
burg for one year. He returned to Abingdon,
and served three years as City Marshal, and is
now Mayor of the city, having been elected in
April. 1899. He is also Deputy Sheriff of Knox
County. He has a good farm of one hundred
and eighty-nine acres. Mr. Richey is a mem-
ber of I. 0. 0. F. He has always been faithful
and cheerful in the discharge of duty. He is a
Methodist.

SAMPSON, EDWARD M.; Indian Point
Township; Justice of the Peace; born February
10, 1855, in Scott County, Indiana; educated at
Alpha, Indiana. His father, Isaac Sampson, was
born in Montgomery, Kentucky; his mother,
Catherine (Young), was born in Hamilton
County, Ohio. His paternal grandparents. Ben-
jamin and Sai-ah (Charles) Sampson, were na-
tives of Virginia; his paternal great-grand-
father, John Sampson, was a native of New
York, and his paternal great-grandmother,
Betsy (Epperson), was born in Wales. His ma-
ternal grandfather. Abner Young, was born in
New York, and his maternal grandmother, Jane
(Wallsmith). in Ohio; his maternal great-
grandparents, Jacob and Julia (Long) Young,
were natives of Germany. January 25, 1875, Mr.
Sampson was married to Mary C. Day in Mon-
mouth. Illinois. They have two children, Cora
E.. who married J. W. Onan, and John. Mr.
and Mrs. Onan have one daughter, Gladys,
Mr. Sampson is a democrat, and has been
School Trustee and Director in Indian Point
Township. In April. 1893, he was elected Jus-
tice of the Peace and served two terms. He is
chairman of the Township Democratic Com-
mittee. Mr. Sampson has stiidied law and med-
icine. In religion, he is a Christian.



932



KNOX COUNTY.



SHUMAKER, JOHN B.; Retired Farmer; In-
dian Point Township; born July 5, 1S14, in
Franklin County, Ohio; educated in the com-
mon schools. His parents were Abraham and
Elizabeth (Swisher) Shumaker. September
21, 1847, he married Sophia Rager in Franklin
County, Ohio; four childi-en were born to them:
Sarah E., Jeremiah, Mahala Jane, and Sophia.
Mr. Shumaker came from Ohio in 1843 and set-
tled near Maquon. In 1844, he bought land in
Indian Point Township, and was a farmer there
until his wife died in 1878, since which time he
has lived with his daughter, Mahala Jane, who
married Robert L., son of John Shumaker. Mrs.
Shumaker has two sons; Emory O. and Ray
C. The latter is a farmer. Jeremiah is a miller
in Abingdon; Sarah married James Bellwood,
and has one son, Edward. Mr. Shumaker is a
republican. He was Highway Commissioner
about three years, and was for several years
School Director. He has always been a promi-
nent man. In religion, he is a Methodist.

SWARTS, ABRAHAM D.; was born at Abing-
don, Harford County, Maryland, April 20,
1783. He married Ann B. Carroll, of Bal-
timore, the name of whose family is
indissolubly connected with the State's history.
Soon after their marriage, the newly wedded
pair turned their faces toward the West, their
objective point being the fertile, sun-kissed
prairies of Illinois. He was among the early
pioneers of Knox County, on whose history
he has left the ineffable impress of his own un-
tiring efforts and indomitable energy. He had
a deep and abiding faith in the almost illimita-
ble possibilities of the young State, and be-
lieved that it extended the brightest hope to the
agriculturalist. His nature was kindly and
generous, and his instincts philanthropic. He
genuinely appreciated the value of higher edu-
cation, although his own early schooling had
been of a rather meager sort. (See City of
Abingdon.) His original plan was to found a
college near the site of his home, and his
wishes were carried out by his heirs. From the
institution founded through their efforts and
liberal aid, hundreds of young people, of both
sexes, have gone forth, valiantly to fight life's
battle and to conquer success. (For Mr.
Swarts' connection with the platting, founding
and growth of Abingdon the reader is referred
to that caption.) He died March 20, 1854, at
the age of seventy-one years. He had lived
to see the fruits of his earthly toil garnered into
an abundant harvest, and he entered rest as
"One who wraps the drapery of his couch

around him,
And lays him down to pleasant dreams."

WARD, ROSCOE E.; Farmer; Indian Point
Township; born in Marietta, Ohio, March 12,
1S55; educated in the common schools and in
Illinois University. He is a son of Dr. George
A. Ward, and a grandson of Walter Ward of
Philipston, Massachusetts. Mr. R. E. Ward
came to Illinois in 1863, and settled in Hender-
son County, where he was interested in, school
affairs, having been a teacher in the public
schools. In 1895, he came to Abingdon, to be



nearer good schools, and bought a fine farm.
He is one of the leading farmers of Indian
Point Township. In 1898, he was made Trustee
of Hedding College. In 1878, Mr. Ward was
married in Lawrence County, Ohio, to Jessie F.
Miller; they have four children: Alice N.,
George M., Elbert W., Roscoe S. In religion,
Mr. Ward is a Methodist. He is a republican.

INDIAN POINT TOWNSHIP.

By M. B. Hardin.
Probably the first white man to visit Indian
Point Township with a view to making his
home within its boundaries was Azel Dossey,
who entered it from Cedar in 1829, but re-
mained only a few years. The first permanent
settlement was made five years later, by John
C. Latimer, who, in 1834, emigrated from
Tennessee with his family. About the same
time John H. Lomax came from Kentucky and
settled in Section 7, and Stephen Howard, of
the same State, who, with his family, settled
on Section 6, putting up the first log cabin on
that section. The next arrivals were in the
following year (1835), when John Howard,
Isaac and Alexander Latimer and John Craw-
ford pre-empted claims on Section 16. Mr.
Crawford was a minister of the Cumberland
Presbyterian church. Two years later Alex-
ander Latimer sold his claim to Daniel Meek,
and removed to Cedar. With Mr. Meek came
John Killiam, who settled on Sections 15 and
22. Henry D. Russell emigrated from Vir-
ginia at about the same time, and entered a
claim in Section 24, where he lived for more
than a quarter of a century, erecting the first
brick house in the township in 1844. He was a
thorough farmer, and his farm was one of the
finest in the county. Early in the sixties he
sold it to James R. Johnston, removing to
Abingdon, and later to Kansas. Others fol-
lowed, and the population of the new settle-
ment began to grow apace. Merriweather
Brown made his clearing in Section 7, and
Bartlett Boydstrom on Section 17. Mr. Brown
became a prominent citizen, and was at one
time County Commissioner; and Mr. Boyd-
strom's son, William A., is superintendent of
the building and bridge department of the Chi-
cago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Com-
pany, at Galesburg. In 1837, John Howard dis-
posed of his claim to John Davidge, who had
moved into the township from Woodford
County.

Among those who at this period — and for
many years afterward— were reckoned leading



KNOX L'OlNTV.



men, may be mentioned Daniel Jleelc, to wliom
reference has been already made. He was an
extensive breeder of fine live stock, and took
a lively interest in public affairs. At different
times he held the offices of Justice of the Peace,
Supervisor and County Commissioner.

It is of interest to recall the names of these
early pioneers and to bring to mind the mem-
ory of their stalwart virtues and their power
of hardy endurance, but the imperative neces-
sity for the curtailment of space forbids more
than a passing mention of many whose names
are as a household word in the township. John
Shumaker, Sr., settled on Section 12, in 1837.
He was the father of a large family, of whom
one son, James, lives in the same locality at
the present time. Charles Fielder settled in
the southern part of the township in 1838; and
John Vertrees and William Stewart in 1839.
That same year, arrived Timothy and Julius
Shay, who moved from Section 6 to Section 28
in 1844. George Hunt came in 1840; John
Crowell in 1841; George Bowden, who settled
in Section 14, in 1843; William Crawford, in
1844; and Charles Smith, who settled in Section
24, in 1846. Among others who came in the
late forties and early fifties were Seth Bell-
wood, John Cnristopher, Silas Roe, Jacob Mil-
ler, Hugh Lowrey and George Cox. John Brown
came in 1853. He has three sons, who, like
himself, became prosperous farmers, and a
daughter, who is the wife of J. Warren Daw-
ley.

The early settlers encountered no Indians,
although traces of aboriginal occupation were
plainly discernible on every side. They found
remains of the wigwams of the red men, to-
gether with innumerable flints, arrow and spear
heads, axes and other implements of domestic
or warlike use among savage tribes. It was
the abundance of these relics that gave the
locality its name — "Indian Point". Compara-
tively little timber was found by the pioneers,
and this gr?w chiefly in Sections 31 and 36,
along the borders of Indian and Cedar creeks
and of the small streams which were their trib-
utaries. They did, however, find well watered,
rolling prairies, with rich, arable soil, of dark
color, which held out promises which both the
past and present have richly fulfilled. Today
Indian Point is one of the most fertile and
highly cultivated townships in the county. Its
fertility may be ascribed to Nature and to Na-
ture's God; its cultivation is due to the patient
toil and resolute perseverance of its citizens.



The highest point of elevation is on Mount
Hope farm, owned by R. E. Ward, from which
may be obtained a view extending twelve miles
to the east and commanding most of Indian
Point, part of Cedar and Orange and all or
Chestnut Hill townships. A noteworthy fea-
ture of the agricultural interests at the pres-
ent time is that nearly, if not quite, one-third
of the farms are leased to tenants, the owners
having either retired from active pursuits or
taken up a residence where better educational
advantages are obtainable for their children.

Most of the farmers are engaged in the rais-
ing of cereals and the propagation and market-
ing of live stock. Among those who stand fore-
most in these lines may be named W. W. By-
ram, Robert Byram, J. W. Dawley, J. Warren
Dawley, Robert Smith, James Bowton, George
and Thomas Brown, William Cable, Frank Hall,
T. H. Roe and Mr. Johnson. A fine breed of
short-horn cattle is extensively raised and sold
by J. W. Dawley and Son, on whose stock farm
is also raised a large number of colts of Norman
blood. W. W. and Robert Byram also deal
largely in choice colts of this breed, raised by
themselves. The breeding of fine Poland-China
hogs is a feature on the farms of Indian Point.
This is made a specialty by J. W. Lomax, J.
L. Cashman and Charles and Robert Shu-
maker.

The first birth in the township was a girl-
baby, born to John H. and Nancy Lomax, in
1835; the second was also a daughter, sent to
John C. and Nancy Latimer, the birthdays of
the two children being not far apart. The
first marriage was that of William Ogden to
Damantha Roberts, which was solemnized Oc-
tober 19. 1837, by Justice John Terry, of Chest-
nut Township. The first death to occur was
that of Mr. Hubbard, who had settled in Sec-
tion 16 in 1838. He died there, and his was
the first interment in Indian Point cemetery.

The first public Protestant religious services
held in the township, of which any record has



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 199 of 207)