Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 20 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 20 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Chicago and Summit, which is being constructed
to produce a flow of 300,000 cubic feet per minute,
which is supposed to be sufficient to dilute sew-
age for about the present population (of Chicago) ,
the width of the channel is 110 feet on the bot-
tom, with side slopes of two to one. Tliis portion
of the channel is ultimately to be enlarged to the
capacity of 600,000 cubic feet per minute. The
bottom of the channel, at Robey Street, is 34.448
feet below Chicago datum. The width of the
channel from Smiimit down to the neighborhood
of ■pillow Springs is 203 feet on the bottom, witli
the same side slope. The cut through the rock,
which extends from tlie neighborhood of Willow
Springs to the point wliere the channel runs out
of ground near Lockport, is 160 feet wide at the
bottom. The entire depth of the channel is
substantially the same as at Robey Street, with
the addition of one foot in 40,000 feet. The rock



portion of the channel is constructed to the full
capacity of 600,000 cubic feet per minute. From
the point where the channel runs out of ground
to Joliet Lake, there is a rapid fall ; over this ,
slope works are to be constructed to let the water
down in such a manner as not to damage Joliet."

Ground was broken on the rock-cut near
Lemont, on Sept. 3, 1893, and work lias been in
progress almost constantly ever since. The prog-
ress of the work was greatly obstructed during
the year 1898, by difficulties encountered in secur-
ing the right of way for the discharge of the
waters of the canal through the city of Joliet,
but these were compromised near the close of the
year, and it was anticipated that the work would
be prosecuted to completion during the year
1899. From Feb. 1, 1890, to Deo. 81, 1898, the
net receipts of the Board for the prosecution of
the work aggregated §38,357,707, while the net
expenditures had amounted to §38,231 864.57. Of
the latter, .530,099,384.67 was charged to construc-
tion account, §3,156,903.12 to "land account"
(including right of way), and §1,222,093.83 to the
cost of maintaining the engineering department.
When finished, the cost will reach not less than
§35,000,000. These figures indicate the stupen-
dous character of the work, which bids fair to
stand witliout a rival of its kind in modern
engineering and in the results it is expected to
achieve.

CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY.
The total mileage of this line, June 30, 1898, was
1,008 miles, of which 1.53.53 miles are operated
and owned in Illinois. The line in this State
extends west from Chicago to East Dubuque, the
extreme terminal points being Cliicago and
Minneapolis in the Northwest, and Kansas City
in the Southwest. It has several brandies in lUi
nois, Iowa and Minnesota, and trackage arrange-
ments with several lines, the most important
being with the St. Paul & Northern Pacific (10.56
miles), completing the connection between St.
Paul and Minneapolis ; with the Illinois Central
from East Dubuque to Portage (13.23 miles), and
with the Chicago & Northern Pacific from Forest
Home to the Grand Central Station in Chicago.
The company's own track is single, of standard
gauge, laid with sixty and seventy-flve-pound
steel rails. Grades and curvature are light, and
the equipment well maintained. The outstand-
ing capital stock (1898) was §53,019,054; total
capitalization, including stock, bonds and miscel-
laneous indebtedness, §57,144,245. (History). The
road was chartered, Jan. 5, 1893, under the laws
of Illinois, for the purpose of reoi-ganization of



IILSTOKlCxVL ENCYCLOPKDIA OF ILLINOIS.



97



the Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City Railway
Company on a stock basis. During 1895, the
De Kalb & Great Western Railroad (").81 miles)
was built from De Kalb to Sycamore as a feeder
of this line.

CHICAGO, HARLEM & BATAVIA RAIL-
ROAD. (See Chicago & Northern Pacific Rail-
road. )

CHICAGO, HAVANA & WESTERN RAIL-
ROAD. (See niinois Central Railroad. )

CHICAGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY, organized,
April 24, 1856, for the purposes of (1) establishing
a library and a cabinet of antiquities, relics, etc. ;
(2) the collection and preservation of historical
manuscripts, documents, papers and tracts; (3)
the encouragement of the discovery and investi-
gation of aboriginal remains, particularly in Illi-
nois; (4) the collection of material illustrating
the growth and settlement of Chicago. By 1871
the Society had accumulated much valuable
material, but the entire collection was destroyed
in the great Chicago fire of that year, among the
manuscripts consumed being the original draft
of the emancipation proclamation bj' Abraham
Lincoln. The nucleus of a second collection was
consumed by fire in 1874. Its loss in this second
conflagration included many valuable manu-
scripts. In 1877 a temporary building was
erected, which was torn down in 1893 to make
room for the erection, on the same lot, of a
thoroughly fire-proof structure of granite,
planned after the most approved modern systems.
The new building was erected and dedicated
imder the direction of its late President, Ed-
ward G. Mason, Esq., Dec. 12, 1896. The Society's
third collection now embraces about twenty-five
thousand volumes and nearly fifty thousand
pamphlets; seventy-five portraits in oils, with
other works of art; a valuable collection of
manuscript documents, and a large museum of
local and miscellaneous antiquities. Mr. Charles
Evans is Secretary and Librarian.

CHICAGO HOMEOPATHIC MEDIC.LL COL-
LEGE, organized in 1870, with a teaching faculty
of nineteen and forty-five matriculates. Its first
term opened October 4, of that year, in a leased
building. By 1881 the college had outgrown its
first quarters and a commodious, well appointed
structure was erected by the trustees, in a more
desirable location. The institution was among
the first to introduce a .graded course of instruc-
tion, extending over a period of eighteen vears.
In 1897, the matriculating class nmnbered over 200.

CHICAGO HOSPITAL FOR WOMEN AND
CHILDREN,located at Chicago, and founded in



1865 by Dr. Mary Harris Thompson. Its declared
objects are: "To afford a home for women and
children among the respectable poor in need of
medical and surgical aid; to treat the same
classes at home by an assistant physician; to
afford a free dispensary for the same, and to
train competent nurses." At the outset the
hospital was fairly well sustained through pri-
vate benefactions, and, in 1870, largely through
Dr. Thompson's efforts, a college was organized
for the medical education of women exclusively.
(See Northu-estern University Woman's Medical
School.) The hospital building was totally
destroyed in the great fire of 1871, but temporary
accommodations were provided in another section
of tlie city. The following year, with the aid of
$25,000 appropriated by the Chicago Relief and
Aid Society, a permanent building was pur-
chased, and, in 1885, a new, commodious and well
planned building was erected on the same site, at
a cost of about §75,000.

CHICAGO, MADISON & NORTHERN RAIL-
ROAD, a line of railway 231.3 miles in length, 140
miles of which lie within Illinois. It is operated
by tlie Illinois Central Railroad Company, and is
known as its "Freeport Division." The par value
of the capital stock outstanding is $50,000 and of
bonds §2,500,000, while the floating debt is
$3,620,698, making a total capitalization of
$6,170,698, or $26,698 per mile. (See also Illinois
Central Railroad.) This road was opened from
Chicago to Freeport in 1888.

CHICAGO MEDICAL COLLEGE. (See North-
western University Medical College.)

CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE & ST. PAUL RAIL-
WAY, one of the great trunk lines of the North-
west, having a total mileage (1898) of 6,153.83
miles, of which 317.94 are in Illinois. The main
line extends from Chicago to Minneapolis, 420
miles, although it has connections with Kansas
City, Omaha, Sioux City and various points in
Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas. The Cliicago,
Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company enjoys
the distinction of being the owner of all the lines
operated by it, thougli it operates 245 miles of
second tracks owned jointly witli other lines.
Tlie greater part of its track is laid with
60, 75 and 85-lb. steel rails. The total capital
invested (1898) is $220,005,901, distributed as
follows: capital stock, $77,845,000; bonded debt,
§135,285,500; other forms of indebtedness,
§5,572,401. Its total earnings in Illinois for
1898 were $5,205,244, and the total expendi-
tures, $3,320,248. The total number of em
ployes in Illinois for 1898 was 2,293, receiving



98



HISTOKICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



§1,746,837.70 in aggregate compensation. Taxes
paid for the same year amounted to §151,285.—
(History). The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railway was organized in 1863 under the name
of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway. Tlie Illi-
nois portion of the main line was built under a
charter granted to the Chicago, Milwaukee & St.
Paul Railway Company, and the Wisconsin por-
tion under charter to the Wisconsin Union Rail-
road Company; the whole built and opened in
1872 and purchased by the Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railway Company. It subsequently acquired by
purchase several lines in Wisconsin, the whole
receiving the present name of the line by act of
the Wisconsin Legislature, passed, Feb. 14, 1874.
The Chicago & Evanston Railroad was chartered,
Feb. 16, 1861, built from Chicago to Calvary (10.8
miles), and opened. May 1, 1885; was consolidated
with the Chicago & Lake Superior Railroad,
under the title of the Chicago, Evanston & Lake
Superior Railroad Company, Dec. 22, 1885, opened
to Evanston, August 1, 1886, and purchased, in
June, 1887, by the Chicago, Milwaukee & St.
Paul Railway Company. Tlie Road, as now
organized, is made up of twenty-two divisions
located in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota,
North and South Dakota, Missouri and Michigan.
CHICAGO, PADUCAH & MEMPHIS RAIL-
ROAD (Projected), a road chartered, Dec. 19,
1893, to run between Altamont and Metropolis,
111., 153 miles, with a branch from Jolmston City
to Carbondale, 20 miles — total length, 172 miles.
The gauge is standard, and the track laid with
sixty-pound steel rails. By Feb. 1, 1895, the road
from Altamont to Marion (100 miles) was com-
pleted, and work on the remainder of the line has
been in progress. It is intended to connect with
the Wabash and the St. Louis Southern systems.
Capital stock authorized and subscribed, §2,500,-
000; bonds issued, $1,575,000. Fimded debt,
authorized, §15,000 per mile in five per cent first
mortgage gold bonds. Cost of road up to Feb. 1,
1895, §20,000 per mile ; estimated cost of the entire
line, §3,000,000. In December, 1896, this road
passed into the hands of the Chicago & Eastern
Illinois Railroad Company, and is now operated to
Marion, in Williamson County. (See Chicago &
Eastern Illinois liailroad.)

CHICAGO, PEKIN & SOUTHWESTERN RAIL-
ROAD, a division of the Chicago & Alton Rail-
road, chartered as the Chicago & Plainfield
Railroad, in 1859 ; opened from Pekin to Streator
in 1873, and to Mazon Bridge in 1876 ; sold under
foreclosure in 1879, and now constitutes a part of
the Chicago & Alton system.



CHICAGO, PEORIA & ST. LOUIS RAILROAD

COMPANY (of Illinois), a corporation operating
two lines of railroad, one extending from Peoria
to Jacksonville, and the other from Peoria to
Springfield, with a connection from the latter
place (in 1895), over a leased line, with St. Louis.
The total mileage, as officially reported in 1895,
was 208.66 miles, of which 166 were owned by
the corporation. (1) The original of the Jackson-
ville Division of this line was the Illinois River
Railroad, opened from Pekin to Virginia in 1859.
In October, 1863, it was sold under foreclosure,
and, early in 1864, was transferred by the pur-
chasers to a new corporation called the Peoria,
Pekin & Jacksonville Railroad Company, by
whom it was extended the same year to Peoria,
and, in 1809, to Jacksonville. Another fore-
closure, in 1879, resulted in its sale to the
creditors, followed by consolidation, in 1881,
with the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railwaj-.
(2) The Springfield Division was incorporated in
1869 as the Springfield & Northwestern Railway ;
construction was begun in 1873, and road opened
from Springfield to Havana (45.30 miles) in
December, 1874, and from Havana to Pekin and
Peoria over the track of the Peoria, Pekin &
Jacksonville line. The same year the road was
leased to the Indianapolis, Bloomington & West-
ern Railroad Companj-, but the lease was for-
feited, in 1875, and the road placed in the hands
of a receiver. In 1881, together with the
Jacksonville Division, it was transferred to the
Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway, and by
that company operated as the Peoria & Spring-
field Railroad. The Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific
having defaulted and gone into the liands of a
receiver, both the Jacksonville and the Spring-
field Divisions were reorganized in February,
1887, under the name of the Chicago, Peoria &
St. Louis Railroad, and placed under control of
the Jacksonville Southeastern Railroad. A
reorganization of the latter took place, in 1890,
under the name of the Jacksonville, Louisville &
St. Louis Railway, and, in 1893, it passed into the
hands of receivers, and was severed from its
allied lines. The Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis
Railroad remained under the management of a
separate receiver imtil January, 1896, when a
reorganization was effected under its present
name — "The Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Rail-
road of Illinois." The lease of the Springfield
& St. Louis Division having expired in Decem-
ber, 1895, it has also been reorganized as an
independent corporation under the name of the
St. Louis, Peoria & Northern Railway (which see)-



niSTOKICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OK ILLINOIS.



99



CHICAGO RIVER, a sluggish stream, draining
a narrow strip of land between Lake Michigan
and the Des Plaines River, the entire watershed
drained amounting to some 470 square miles. It
is formed by the union of the "North" and
tlie "South Branch," which unite less tlian a mile
and a half from tlie mouth of tlie main stream.
At an early day the former was known as the
"Guarie"' and the latter as "Portage River." The
total length of the North Branch is about 20 miles,
only a small fraction of which is navigable. Tlie
South Branch is larger and offers greater facilities
for navigation, being lined along its lower jior-
tions with grain-elevators, lumber-yards and
manufactories. The Illinois Indians in early days
found an easy portage between it and the Des
Plaines River. The Chicago River, with its
branches, separates Chicago into three divisions,
known, respectively, as the "North" the "South"
and the "West Divisions." Drawbridges have
been erected at the principal street crossings
over the river and both branches, and four
tunnels, connecting the various divisions of the
citv, have been constructed under the river bed.

CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND & PACIFIC RAIL-
WAT, formed by the consolidation of various
lines in 1880. The parent corporation (Tlie
Chicago & Rock Island Railroad) was chartered
in Illinois in 18.51, and the road opened from Chi-
cago to the Mississippi River at Rock Island (181
miles), July 10, 18.54. In IS't'Z a company was
chartered under the name of the Mississippi &
Missouri Railroad for the extension of the road
from the Mississippi to the Missouri River. The
two roads were consolidated in 1866 as the Chi-
cago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, and the
extension to the Missouri River and a junction
with the Union Pacific completed in 1869. The
Peoria & Bureau Valley Railroad (an important
feeder from Peoria to Bureau Junction — 46. 7
miles) was incorporated in 1853, and completed
and leased in perpetuity to the Chicago & Rock
Island Railroail, in 1854. The St. Josepli & Iowa
Railroad was purchased in 1889, and the Kansas
City & Topeka Railway in 1891. The Company
has financial and traffic agreements with the
Chicago, Rock Island & Texas Railway, extending
from Terral Station, Indian Territory, to Fort
Worth, Texas. The road also has connections
from Chicago with Peoria ; St. Paul and Minne-
apolis; Omaha and Lincoln (Neb); Denver, Colo-
rado Springs and Pueblo (Colo. ), besides various
points in South Dakota, Iowa and Southwestern
Kansas. The extent of the lines owned and
iiperatedby the Company ("Poor's Manual," 1.898),



is 3, .568. 15 miles, of which 236.51 miles are in
Illinois, 189.52 miles being owned by the corpo-
ration. All of the Company's owned and
leased lines are laid with steel rails. The total
capitalization reported for the same year was
■8116,748,211, of which .$.50,000,000 was in stock
and §58,830,000 in bonds. The total earnings and
income of the line in Illinois, for tlie year ending
June 30, 1898, was $5,851,875, and the total
expenses $3,401,165, of which $233,129 was in the
form of taxes. The Company has received under
Congressional grants 550, 194 acres of land, exclu-
sive of State grants, of which there had been sold,
up to March 31, 1894, .548,009 acres.

CHICAGO, ST. PAUL & FOND DU LAC RAIL-
ROAD. (See Chicago & Northwestern Raihray. )

CHICAGO, ST. PAUL & KANSAS CITY RAIL-
WAY. (See Chicago Great Western Railira;/.)

CHICAGO, ST. LOUIS & PADUCAH RAIL-
WAY, a short road, of standard gauge, laid with
steel rails, e.\:tending from Marion to Brooklyn,
111., 53.64 miles. It was chartered, Feb. 7, 1887,
and opened for traffic, Jan. 1, 1889. The St.
Louis, Alton & Terre Haute Railroad Company is
tlie lessee, having guaranteed principal and inter-
est on its first mortgage bonds. Its capital stock
is §1,000,000, and its bonded debt .$2,000,000,
making the total capitalization about §56,000 per
mile. The cost of the road was .$2,950,000; total
Incumbrance (1895), .$3,016,715.

CHICAGO TERMINAL TRANSFER RAIL-
ROAD, the successor to the Chicago & Nortliern
Pacific Railroad. The latter was organized in
November, 1889, to acquire and lease facilities to
other roads and transact a local business. The
Road under its new name was chartered, June 4,
1897, to purchase at foreclosure sale the property
of the Chicago & Northern Pacific, soon after
acquiring the property of the Chicago & Calumet
Terminal Railway also. The combination gives
it the control of 84.53 miles of road, of which
70.76 miles are in Illinois. The line is u.sed for
both passenger and freight terminal purposes,
and also a belt line just outside the city limits.
Its principal tenants are the Chicago Great West-
ern, the Baltimore & Ohio, the Wisconsin Central
Lines, and the Chicago, Hammond & Western
Railroad. The Company also has control of the
ground on which the Grand Central Depot is
located. Its total capitalization (1.898) was .$44,-
.5.53,044, of which §30,000,000 was capital stock
and $13,394,000 in tlie form of bonds.

CHICAGO THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, organ
ized. Sept. 26. 1.S.54, by a convention of Congre-
gational ministers and laymen representing seven



100



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Western States, among wliich was Illinois. A
special and liberal charter was granted, Feb. 15,
1855. The Seminary has alwajs been under
Congregational control and supervision, its
twenty-four trustees being elected at Triennial
Conventions, at whicli are represented all the
churches of that denomination west of the Ohio
and east of the Rocky Mountains. The institu-
tion was formally opened to students, Oct. 6,
1858, with two professors and twenty-nine
matriculates. Since then it has steadily grown
in both numbers and influence. Preparatory and
linguistic schools have been added and the
faculty (1896) includes eight professors and nine
minor instructors. The Seminary is liberally
endowed, its productive assets being nearly
$1,000,000, and the value of its grounds, build-
ings, library, etc., amounting to nearly §500,000
more. No charge is made for tuition or room
rent, and there are forty-two endowed scholar-
ships, the income of which is devoted to the aid
of needy students. The buildings, including the
library and dormitories, are four in number, and
are well constructed and arranged.

CHICAGO & ALTON RAILROAD, an impor
tant railway running in a southwesterly direc-
tion from Chicago to St. Louis, with niimerous
branches, extending into Missouri, Kansas and
Colorado. The Chicago & Alton Railroad proper
was constructed mider two charters — the first
granted to the Alton & Sangamon Railroad Com-
pany, in 1847, and the second to the Chicago &
Mississippi Railroad Company, in 1852. Con-
struction of the former was begun in 1853, and
the line opened from Alton to Springfield in
1853. Under the second corporation, the line was
opened from Springfield to Bloomington in 1854,
and to Joliet in 1856. In 1855 a line was con-
structed from Chicago to Joliet under the name
of the Joliet & Chicago Railroad, and leased in
perpetuity to the present Company, which was
reorganized in 1857 under the name of the St.
Louis, Alton & Chicago Railroad Company. For
some time connection was had between Alton
and St. Louis by steam-packet boats running in
connection with the railroad ; but later over the
line of the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad—
the first railway line connecting tlie two cities—
and, finally, by the Company's own line, which
was constructed in 1864, and formally opened
Jan. 1, 1865. In 1861, a company with the
present name (Chicago & Alton Railroad Com-
pany) was organized, which, in 1863, purchased
the St. Louis, Alton & Chicago Road at fore-
closure sale. Several branch lines have since



been acquired by purchase or lease, the most
important in the State being the line from
Bloomington to St. Louis by way of Jacksonville.
This was cliartered in 1851 under the name of the
St. Louis, Jacksonville & Chicago Railroad, was
opened for business in January, 1868, and having
been diverted from the route upon which it was
originally projected, was completed to Blooming
ton and leased to the Chicago & Alton in 1868.
In 1884 this branch was absorbed by the main
line. Other important branches are the Kansas
City Brancli from Roodhouse, crossing the Mis-
sissippi at Louisiana, Mo. ; the Washington
Branch from Dwight to Washington and Lacon,
and the Chicago & Peoria, by wliich entrance is
obtained into the city of Peoria over tlie tracks
of the Toledo, Peoria & Western. The wliole
number of miles operated (1898; is 843.54, of
which 580.73 lie in Illinois. Including double
tracks and sidings, the Company has a total
trackage of 1,186 miles. The total capitalization,
in 1898, was §33,793,972, of which §33,230,600 was
in stock, and 86,694.850 in bonds. The total
earnings and income for the year, in Illinois, were
§5,033,315, and the operating and other expenses,
§4,272,207. This road, under its management as
it existed up to 1898, has been one of the most uni-
formly successful in the country. Dividends
have been paid semiannuallj' from 1863 to 1884,
and quarterly from 1884 to 1896. For a number
of years previous to 1897, the dividends, had
amounted to eight per cent per annum on both
preferred and common stock, but later had been
reduced to seven per cent on account of short
crops along the line. The taxes paid in 1898
were §341,040. The surplus, June 30, 1895,
exceeded two and three-quarter million dollars.
Tlie Chicago & Alton was the first line in the
world to put into service sleeping and dining cars
of the Pullman model, which have since been so
widely adopted, as well as tlie first to run free
reclining chair-cars for the convenience and
comfort of its passengers. At the time the
matter embraced in this volume is undergoing
final revision (1899), negotiations are in progress
for the purchase of this historic line by a syndi-
cate representing the Baltimore & Ohio, the
Missouri Pacific, the Union Pacific, and the
Missouri, Kansas & Texas systems, in whose
interest it will hereafter be operated.

CHICAGO & AURORA RAILROAD. (See
Cliicago. Burlington & Quincy Railroad.)

CHICAGO & EASTERN ILLINOIS RAIL-
ROAD. This company operates a line 516.3 miles
in length, of which 278 miles are within Illinois.



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Idl



The main line in this State extends squtherly
from Dolton Junction (17 miles south of Chicago)
to Danville. Entrance to the Polk Street Depot
in Chicago is secured over the tracks of the
Western Indiana Railroad. The company owns
several important branch lines, as follows: From
Momence Junction to the Indiana State Line;
from Cissna Junction to Cissna Park ; from Dan-



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 20 of 207)