Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 203 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 203 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


moved to Mackinaw where he married a second
time, and died when on a visit to his children
in Ohio. Mr. Selby's mother was the grand-



948



KNOX COUNTY.



daughter of Dr. Silas Allen who served in the
Revolutionary War; his early life was passed
in the State of New York, but he removed to
Ohio and died at Royalton in that State.

Mr. Selby came to Knox County in 1S34. Mr.
Elisha Barrett, who married Mr. Selby's sister
Clista, had selected a mill site on Spoon River.
Mr. Selby bought the land on which the mill
was built, and, assisted by his brother Nelson,
operated it for many years. He was also a
farmer, on rather an extensive scale, and owned
nine quarter sections of land at the time of his
death in 1868.

Mr. Selby was married at the home of David
Housh in Haw Creek Township. November 12,
1837, to Elizabeth GuUett, daughter of Joshua
and Barbara (Housh) Gullett. Joshua Gullett
was born in Delaware and brought up in North
Carolina. He was a farmer by occupation, and
settled in Washington County, Indiana, where
he was married in a block house which served
as a fort. His wife, Barbara, was a daughter
of Adam Housh of Kentucky. They came to
Maquon Township about 1840.

Five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Selby
are now living: Elisha, Mrs. Amanda Sum-
mers, Mrs. Salina Clark, Henry, and Mrs. Ruth
Bigelow.

Mr. Selby was a dealer in stock, buying and
selling cattle, taking at one time a drove of
three hundred and sixty to Ohio and swimming
them across the Illinois River below Peoria
bake. He was a democrat politically, and was
a friendly, broadminded man of many good
qualities, both mental and moral, and highly re-
spected by the community in which he lived.

Mrs. Elizabeth Selby, who survives him, is a
woman of sterling character. In early life in
Indiana she learned to weave cloth, coverlets
and carpets, and followed the same vocation
after coming to Knox County with her Uncle
David Housh. After her marriage to Mr. Selby
she lived in a double shanty made of slabs, and
later lived for two years in a frame house, and
then moved into a log cabin, at the old Selby
homestead, where she lived eight years. When
her husband went to Ohio with a large drove
of cattle, Mrs. Selby accompanied him with
their two children, and cooked for the cattle
drivers. They returned with three loads of
cloth which they sold in Knox County, and with
the proceeds bought more cattle to forward to
the same market. After the death of her hus-
band she managed her estate wisely, having
a large stock of horses, sheep and swine on her
numerous broad acres.

THOMAS R. WALTER.

Thomas R. Walter, son of John W. and Han-
nah (Sumner) Walter, was born September 30,
1817, in Highland County, Ohio. His father,
born in Virginia, was a soldier in the War of
1812; his mother was from South Carolina. He
was third in a family of ten children: Betsey,
William J., Thomas R., Jincy, Lettice, James,
Bowater, John W., Cynthia and Richeson C.

Thomas R. was educated in the common
schools of Ohio, and came to Illinois at the age



of nineteen. He was married in Maquon Town-
ship, August 8, 1854, to Sarah J. Stephenson,
daughter of Edward and Mary (Keys) Stephen-
son, the former of whom was born in Mary-
land, the latter in Delaware. Sarah J. was
born in Franklin County, Ohio, September 24,
1835, and was the first of a family of six chil-
dren: Sarah J., William, John, James K., Lewis
N. and Edward O. The Stephenson family set-
tled first in Haw Creek Township and after-
ward in Maquon Township where the parents
died.

Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Wal-
ter: Vianna, Mary E. (deceased), Ethzelda,
two who died in infancy, Lyman, Elnora,
Thomas Ulysses, Laura B. and Bert E. Vianna
was married to B. F. Adams of Peoria; Eth-
zelda was married to Frank Pickrel and died in
Haw Creek Township, June 2, 1881. Lyman is
a farmer in Maquoa Township. Thomas Ulys-
ses lives in Maquon Township, and the other
three live with their mother on the old home-
stead.

Mr. Walter first purchased one hundred and
sixty acres of land which he improved with
good buildings and other fixtures, subsequently
adding to his possessions till he owned nearly
fifteen hundred acres of well cultivated land in
Knox County, besides property in Maquon. He
was Road Commissioner, and also a School Di-
rector many years. In politics, he was a repub-
lican. He died May 28, 1897.

Mr. Walter was a good farmer and a skillful
business man; a hard worker, but an easy task-
master; a supporter of the church, though not
a church member; a friend of education; a
good neighbor; a firm friend; a kind husband
and father; a man of integrity and honor,
"whose word was as good as his bond;" a man
respected by all who knew him for his good
qualities of head and heart.

ADAMS, WILLIAM HENRY; Farmer;
Maquon Township; born in Rome, New York,
January 22, 1844, educated in Knox County. His
father, Andrew Adams, was a native of Ireland;
his mother, Sarah (Coonradt), was born in
Rome, New York. His maternal grandparents
were Stephen and Jane Coonradt; his paternal
grandparents were born in Ireland. January
29, 1880, Mr. Adams was married, in Maquon
Township to Mary E. Jacobs; they have one
child, Lottie. In religion, Mr. Adams is Ortho-
dox. In politics, he is a democrat.

BOOTH, JACOB; Maquon, Knox County, Illi-
nois; was born in Penobscot County, Maine,
June 1, 1821. He was the son of Isaac and Mary
Booth. Isaac Booth was born July 7, 1792, and
married Mary Grinnell December 6, 1812. Mary
Grinnell was born April 30. 1795. He died
April 30, 1852; and his wife, April 12, 1836. She
was the daughter of Royl Grinnell, a Revolu-
tionary soldier, under General Hull. Jacob
Booth came to Sangamon County, Illinois, in
1839. and to Knox County, in 1844. He was
married to Malinda Housh, daughter of George
P. Housh, September 19, 1844. Malinda Booth
was born March 17, 1821, and died June 9, 1869.
Jacob Booth's second marriage was to Edith




^4y^



KNOX COUNTY.



Martin, of Galesburg. Illinois. October 24, 1869.
She was the daughter of Martin and Lucinda
Martin. Mr. Martin died in St. Joseph. Mis-
souri, in 1S44. Mrs. Martin died in 1S9S, aged
nearly ninety-five years. Mr. and Mrs. Booth
have one adopted son, Frank Booth, of Abing-
don, Illinois. Mr. Booth is a republican, and
cast his first vote for Henry Clay in 1S44. He
and his wife are Christian Scientists, and are
members of the mother church in Boston; and
also members of the branch church at Maquon,
Illinois, and were students of Mrs. Janet T. Col-
man, one of Mrs. Mary Baker G. Eddy's loyal
students. Mr. and Mrs. Booth are faithful
workers in the cause of Christian Science.

CL.\RK, REV. NEWTON G.; Minister of the
Gospel; Maquon; born July 18, 1840, in Warren
County, Illinois. He is a son of Rev. William
M. Clark, who came to Knox County in 1833,
and in 1834 settled on the present site of Gil-
son, where he cultivated one thousand acres of
land. Three of his sons were Methodist Epis-
copal preachers. His parents came from Ken-
tucky. N. G. Clark was educated in the com-
mon schools and at Hedding College, Abingdon,
Knox County. He entered Hedding at sixteen
years of age. August 2, 1862, he enlisted in
Company F, Eighty-sixth Regiment, Illinois
Volunteers; he also served in Company I, Thir-
ty-sixth Regiment, and was honorably dis-
charged in June, 1865. He returned and
worked on his home farm till 1874,
when he entered the Methodist Epis-
copal ministry. He was ordained by
Bishop Scott at Carthage. Illinois, and his
"charges" were at French Creek, Knox County;
Sunbeam, Mercer County; Wataga, Knox
County; Rock River Valley. Rock Island
County; Hamilton, Hancock County; Lewis-
town, Fulton County; Walnut Grove, Hancock
County; Cameron, Warren County; Burnside,
and Durham, Hancock County; Herman, Knox
County; North Henderson, Mercer County;
Maquon. Knox County; Victoria, Knox County;
Williamsfield and Elba Center, Knox County;
Douglas, Knox County, in 1894, after which he
retired from active service. He moved to Ma-
quon in April, 1892. In 1896 he bought a hard-
ware store and added a department for gro-
ceries. Mr. Clark was married March 11, 1860,
to Anna West, daughter of Samuel and Mary A.
West, who were early settlers in Knox County.

HARPER, ROBERT HENRY; Farmer and
Stockman; Maquon Township; 6orn in Canton,
Fulton County, January S. 1848. His parents
were John and Ellen (Robinson) Harper, na-
tives of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania; his
grandfather Harper was a native of Belfast,
Ireland and of Scotch descent. His father
came to Canton in 1846, and is now living in
Farmington in the same county. At sixteen
years of age, Robert H. Harper enlisted in the
Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, Colonel Robert G. In-
gersoll commanding; he served in this regi-
ment one year and nine months and then, until
the close of the war, was with Burnside in Mis-
sissippi and Tennessee. In the Fall of 1868,
Mr. Harper came to Maquon Township. He now



owns six hundred and thirty-six acres of land
and is engaged in shipping stock to the Chicago
market. September 15, 1869, he was married
to Mary A. Hunter, daughter of Judge J. M.
Hunter. There are five children: Robert K.,
Emma E., Mary, John, Harry. In religion, Mr.
Harper is a Methodist. In politics he is a dem-
ocrat. He was elected Supervisor of the Town-
ship in the Spring of 1899.

HOBKIRK, JAMES; Farmer; Maquon Town-
ship; born February 9, 1827, in Conobie, Scot-
land, where he was educated, and learned to
be a baker. His father, Robert Hobkirk, spent
four years in America and was born near Haw-
ick, Scotland; his mother, Mary (Armstrong)
was born in Conobie. They died in Scotland.
Robert Hobkirk's father, William, was lost in
the wilds of Canada. Mary Armstrong Hob-
kirk's parents, William Armstrong and Fan-
nie (Moffat) were Scotch; the former was
born in Conobie. In May, 1849, James Hob-
kirk was married to Jane Beattie in Scotland,
and in August reached Maquon and took up
farming, although he had previously been a
baker. He rented a farm until 18G0, when he
bought eighty-three acres in Haw Creek Town-
ship, where he raised stock. In 1888, he moved
to Maquon where he bought five acres of im-
proved land. Between the years 1870 and 1880,
he was twice elected Justice of the Peace, but
having at that time no political aspirations, de-
clined to serve; he is now, however, serving his
second term in that office. He has taken a deep
interest in educational matters and was School
Director for seventeen years. In religion he
is a Presbyterian. In politics, he is a democrat.
His wife Jane (Beattie) died February 7, 1897,
aged seventy-two years. They had two chil-
dren, Mary and Martha. The former is now the
homekeeper; the latter is a teacher in Haw
Creek Township.

JONES, JOHN; Maquon; Farmer; born in
Rochester. New York, August 12, 1828; educated
in Allegheny County, New York. His father,
Peter Jones, and his paternal grandparents,
Phineas and Hannah (Harris) Jones, were na-
tives of Vermont. His mother, Caroline (Fink)
was a native of New York, and her father, John
Fink, was born in the Mohawk Valley; John
Fink's wife, Sarah (Crane) was a native of Eng-
land. Peter Jones was twelve years old when
the family moved from Vermont to Rochester,
New York. Mr. and Mrs. Peter Jones' children
are: Josiah E.; Horace; John; Sarah (de-
ceased); Walter; Catherine; Mary A. (de-
ceased); and Warren. John Jones came to
Knox County with his parents in 1835, and set-
tled in Maquon, which was then a wilderness.
The nearest mill was fifty miles away, but one
was later built at a distance of twenty miles.
In August, 1862, Mr. Jones enlisted in the
Eighty-third Illinois Volunteer, and was elected
Second Lieutenant in Company G. He served
three years and came home as First Lieutenant.
He helped organize a colored regiment at Fort
Donelson. and was offered the position of Lieu-
tenant-Colonel but declined. At Fort Donel-
son he acted as Adjutant General for four



KNOX CUUKTY.



months and was then made Quartermaster of
the Post. He was a strong abolitionist, and
spoke his views fearlessly. After the war he
farmed until 1876, when he located in Maquon,
where he has been Postmaster for fifteen years.
He spent four years in California as a miner
and merchant. Mr. Jones is a Liberal in reli-
gion. In politics, he is a republican. Novem-
ber 2, 1854, Mr. Jones was married in Kuoxville
to Mary R. White, a daughter of John White of
Knoxville, an early settler. Five of their chil-
dren are now living: Mrs. Hulda C. Penman,
Mrs. Mary W. Embick, Mrs. Kate M. Gifford,
Emma H. and Robert C. Mrs. Jones died July
5, 1888, aged fifty-one years.

KINSER, ADAM; Farmer, Soldier, and
Miner; born in Haw Creek Township, March 1,
1839, and educated in Maquon. His father, Jes-
se Kinser, and his grandfather Elisha Kinser,
were born at Lynchburg, Virginia. Mr. Jesse
Kinser was a farmer who went to Indiana
where he married Phoebe Housh, a native of
Lawrence County, Indiana, and the daughter of
Adam Housh. Mr. Jesse Kinser came to Knox
County in 1S37 and settled in the northeast
corner of Chestnut Township. Mr. Adam Kin-
ser was engaged in farming until his enlistment
in Company A, Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry.
After an honorable discharge at Camp Nelson,
Kentucky, December 13, 1864, he returned home
and has since been granted a pension for in-
juries received during the war. In the Spring
of 18C6, he Journeyed overland to Virginia
City, Montana, his company having several
skirmishes with the Indians en route. After
six years of rough but enjoyable mining life he
returned to Knox County, but went West again
to Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas,
where he successfully invested some money in
a threshing machine and dealt in real estate for
several years. November 27, 1872, he was mar-
ried to Olive Straley at West Point. Missouri.
She is the daughter of Elias and Elizabeth
(Edge) Straley. of Virginia and Ohio, respect-
ively. Elias Straley kept a hotel in Indepen-
dence, Missouri, and then began farming in
Miami County, Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Kinser
have six children: William C, Alva A., Maud
May, Emma Myrtle, Robert L., and Cecil K. On
the death of his father, he returned to Knox
County and has resided in Maquon since 1880.
After a short period of business life he retired
and in 1897, was re-elected Police Justice, an
office which he has filled with great tact and
ability. In politics, he is a republican.

MAPLE, AUGUSTAS MELVILLE; Farmer
and Merchant; born at Cabin Creek, Louis
County, Kentucky, April 9, 1819. His father,
David Maple, and his grandfather, John Maple,
were born in New Jersey, where the latter
was married to Miss Thompson. Mr. David
Maple was married to Mary Buchanan of Penn-
sylvania, a first cousin of President James Bu-
chanan. He engaged in farming in Ken-
tucky until his death; his wife died at
her son's home in Maquon in 1856. Mr. A. M.
Maple's grandparents lived to be very old, Mr.
John Maple reaching the age of eighty-six,



and Mr. Buchanan, who was a Pennsylvanian,
that of eighty-five. Mr. Maple was educated in
a log school house, and until twenty-eight years
of age managed the old Maple farm and a large
sugar camp in Kentucky. He sold out, went to
Canton, Illinois, where he clerked for his
brother A. T. Maple for a year, when he and
John Morton bought out his brother's interest.
After a partnership of three years, Mr. Maple
purchased Mr. Morton's interest and moved to
Maquon, where, until selling his store to his
son, in 1896, ne was successfully engaged in a
general mercantile business. April 4, 1851, he
married Mary Sheaff, of Canton; they had three
children: Harriett Louise, now Mrs. Hayden, of
Henry County; Charles Fremont, of Maquon,
and Abraham Lincoln, of Hulls, Illinois. Mrs.
Maple's parents were Phillip and Harriett (Fore-
man) Sheaff; her grandparents were William
and Mary (Miller) Sheaff of Pennsylvania, and
her great-grandparents, who as children came
from Germany on the same ship, were Phillip
and Mary Sheaff. Mr. Maple and his wife be-
longed to the Christian church and for twenty
years he was Superintendent of the Sunday
school. They have been leaders in church and
social work and he has energetically opposed
the liquor element for fifty years. He is a re-
publican in politics, and has held nearly all
local offices.

MAPLE, CHARLES FREMONT; Merchant;
Maquon, Illinois; born in Maquon, July, 1857,
where he was educated. His father, A. M.
Maple, was a native of Kentucky; his mother,
Mary (Sheaff), of Pennsylvania. His paternal
grandfather David Maple, and also the paternal
great-grandfather, John Maple, were natives of
New Jersey. His paternal grandmother. Mary
(Buchanan) was born in Pennsylvania. His
maternal grandparents, Phillip and Harriet
Sheaff, were born in Pennsylvania and Del-
aware. Mr. Maple's maternal great-grandpar-
ents, William and Mary Sheaff, were natives of
Pennsylvania. March. 1897. in Knoxville, Illi-
nois, Mr. Maple was married to Eva J. Chapin.
In religion, Mr. Maple is a Protestant; in poli-
tics, a republican.

OUDERKIRK. HARVEY; Farmer; Maquon
Township; born at Maquon, December 15, 1838;
educated in Knox County. His parents, Jacob
and Nancy (Waffel) Ouderkirk, were born in
New York, and came to Maquon in the Fall of
1835, accompanied by his father and their old-
est daughter. After settling on a farm south of
Maquon, they moved to Haw Creek Township,
where he died in 1882, aged seventy years. His
wife died in Missouri, in 1892, aged seventy-five.
Their children were: Polly Ann, deceased;
Mary J., widow of George Thurman;
Harvey; Charles S.; Salinda, deceased;
Welman J.; Emily E., wife of Dwight Joiner;
Mrs. Harriet Barbero, deceased; Martha, de-
ceased. Jacob Ouderkirk's parents. Frederick,
a farmer in New York, and Elizabeth (Bond)
were natives of New York. Nancy Waffel's
parents were Henry and Elizabeth Waffel.
Harvey Ouderkirk was raised on a farm and had
few advantages, but by improving his op-




^/A ^^Mir-



K ^ U X C U N T \"



portunities has acquired a fair education. He
was married to Sarali E. Cook, December 13,
18C2, in Haw Creelc Township. They have four
children: Henry J.; Clara E., wife of Frank
Briggs: Oscar B.; and Elnora E. The last two
are at home. After his marriage he settled in
a log cabin in Maquon Township, and though
his farm was a rented one and corn selling at
eight cents a bushel delivered, he succeeded in
buying land in Chestnut Township. He now
owns four farms, aggregating four hundred and
seventeen acres. November 2, 18S0, he moved to
a fine farm one and a half miles west of Ma-
quon. He has dealt successfully in sloclv. Mrs.
Ouderkirk is a daughter of John and Hattie
(Holloway) Cook, who came to Knox County in
1848. They were members of the Methodist Epis-
copal church, but he afterwards joined the
United Brethren. He died in Kansas. Mr. Ouder-
kirk, though poor, contributed corn to the Kan-
sas sufferers in 1860. In politics, he is a repub-
lican and has held minor ofBces.

PICKREL, JESSE: Farmer: Maquon Town-
ship; born in Jackson County, Ohio, Decem-
ber 23, 1811; educated in the common schools.
His parents were Solomon and Anna (Griffith)
Pickrel of Virginia. They had seven sons and
seven daughters. Jesse Pickrel was married
November 2, 1834, in .Athens County, Ohio, to
Miss Rosa Johnson, who was born August 30,
1816. Their children are: Mrs. Sarah Ward
(deceased); Mrs. Caroline Davis: Jesse, of
Knoxville; Mrs. Ann Austin; Mrs. Melissa
Baird: Milton, of Knoxville, and Douglas, who
lives on the homestead, in Haw Creek Town-
ship. Mr. Pickrel was reaied on a farm in
Ohio, and came to Haw Creek Township in
1847, where he bought one hundred and sixty
acres of land. At the time of his death he had
four hundred and sixty acres. He left the man-
agement of the farm largely to his wife, who
was a woman of rare gifts, good judgment, and
kind heart. She brought up a family of sous
who are exceptionally good business men, and
she takes a deep interest in the welfare of those
with whom she comes in contact. She is a
member of the United Brethren Church. Mr.
Pickrel is a democrat.

3ELBY, ELISHA BARRETT; Farmer; Ma-
quon Township; Dorn November 3, 1839, at the
old mill-site in Haw Creek Township: educated
in Knox County. January 12, 1860, he married
Sarah E. Barbaro in Chestnut Township. They
have had eight children: Philemon B.; Mrs.
Rhoda A. Dennis; Mrs. Delia Boyington (de-
ceased); Nelson E.; Lyman; Mrs. Floy Law-
rence: Edith: and Raymond. The last two are
at home. Mrs. Selby is a daughter of Freder-
ick and Malinda (Bartlett) Barbaro. who came
to Knox County in 18.50. Mr. Barbaro was born
July 4. 1808, and is still living at the age of
ninety-one. Mr. Selby lives in Maquon Town-
ship, Section 2, where he has three hundred
and twenty acres of land. He has also forty-
two acres on French Creek. He has been a
farmer all his life. In politics, Mr. Selby is a
democrat.



SELBY, WILLIAM HENRY: Maquon;
Farmer and Stockman; born January 30, 1851,
on the old Selby homestead in Maquon; edu-
cated in Maquon and in the Galesburg Business
College. March 11, 1885, he was married to
Florence Isabel Allen, daughter of William
and America A. (Maxey) Allen, old settlers of
Knox County. Mr. and Mrs. Selby have one
son, William Floyd Selby. He settled on the
home farm and later built a house on the north-
west corner of Section 2. He has been successful
as a farmer and stock man, and now owns four
hundred acres of land. He has always been in-
terested in fine stock, and has registered stand-
ard horses, hogs, and cattle, and has taken
premiums at various local and State fairs. His
running horses have been famous in Illinois and
the adjoining States, his horse "Izell," having
taken more premiums than any other horse in
the county. Out of seventeen starts on the
Ohio circuit he got first money fourteen times.
On his farm, known as "Living Spring," he
has about forty head of fine horses. Mr. Selby
haa done much for the advancement of fine
stock in Knox County. In politics, he Is a
democrat.

SIMPKINS, GEORGE W.; Farmer; Maquon
Township; born in Pennsylvania, December 17,
1832. His parents, Horatio and Mary (Rice)
Simpkins, and his grandparents, Ananias and
Rachel Simpkins, came from Pennsylvania. He
was married in Haw Creek Township to Mary,
the daughter of David McCoy, an old settler in
Haw Creek Township. Their children are:
Andrew; Anne, wife of David Barbaro;
Nathan; and Henry. His second marriage,
July 31, 1886, was with Mrs. Elizabeth (Moore)
Pumyea, the daughter of Andrew and Margaret
(Steinbrook) Moore. Mrs. Simpkins has two
children by her former marriage. William Allen
and Edith Pumyea. Mr. Simpkins was born on
a farm, and has always been a farmer. After
his marriage he rented a farm for two years,
one-half mile east of Maquon; he then rented
a farm of his father two miles farther east; he
then lived for five years three miles north-
west of Maquon. after which he moved to
Decatur County, Iowa, where he remained one
year and returned in 1S59. He afterwards
farmed five years in Elba Township, and four-
teen years four miles wt st of Maquon. He then
removed to Section 21, where he has one hun-
dred and fifty-seven acres of finely improved
land: he also has one hundred and sixty acres
on Section 15, and four town lots. Mr. Simp-
kins is a democrat. He has been a member of
the Grange for five years.

SMITH, HARRY A.; Farmer; Maquon, Illi-
nois: born January 15, 1868, in Fulton County.
Illinois; educated in the district schools. His
father, William A. Smith, was a native of Penn-
sylvania: his mother, Sarah E. Smith, was born
in Illinois. His paternal grandparents. Elijah
and Susan Smith, were natives of Pennsyl-
vania. His maternal grandfather. Andrew
Pinegar, was born in Kentucky. His maternal
grandmother's Christian name was Matilda.



952



KNOX COUNTY,



The paternal great-grandmother's family name
was Brown; that of the maternal great-grand-
father, Marchant. November 24, 1892, at Ra-
patee, Mr. Smith was married to Llllle M.
Norval; they have had three children: Ethel,
Halsey and Nellie. In politics, Mr. Smith is a
democrat.

SWIGART, WILLIAM; Farmer and stock-
man; Maquon; born in Pickaway County,
Ohio, August 15, 1822. He is of German descent.
His father, Daniel Swigart, was a native of
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; his mother,
Elizabeth (Conrad) Swigart, was born in
Greenbrier County, Virginia. Mr. Swigart came
from Marion County, Ohio, to Knox County, in



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 203 of 207)