Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 205 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 205 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sports, games, and amusements of every sort
form prominent features of the entertainments.

From the date of its founding, 1857, the sa-
loon fastened itself upon the village, and clung
like a vampire until about 1875, when, through
a determined effort of the best citizens, the
groggery was driven out, and by dint of con-
stant vigilance has been kept out, with the ex-
ception of the years 1888 and 1895, when
licenses were granted for the sale of liquor.
The advocates of the saloon stole a march upon
the unwary friends of .temperance, but only for
a year at a time




^, ^^Uri^x^^^^A^^r^-^



K.\(»X C'OU^■TV



The population in ISSO was six humlreil ami
seventy-nine; in 1S90, six hunji-ed and eiglity-
seven; in 1898, six hundred and eighty-three.

Banking facilities are afforded by the
"Farmers' " and "People's" banks. Both are
private institutions. The first named was or-
ganized in 1875 by J. M. Taylor and Isaac Lam-
bert. Mr. Lambert soon withdrew, and on
August 12. 1880. Mr. Taylor sold the business to
J. H. Nicholson, W. P. Parker and L. F. Wert-
man, who organized the Farmers' Bank, which
they conducted until 1889, when Mr. Nicholson
obtained full control. Since his death, in 1895,
his widow, Mrs. C. M. Nicholson, has conducted
the business with Charles D. North, with F. E.
Wilson as cashier. The bank has as handsome,
well-appointed quarters as can be found outside
a metropolis. The People's Bank was organ-
ized in October, 1889, by Walter Bailey and
Company. These are now deceased and the
present firm name is Harriet L. Bailey and
Company, with John W. Dixson as cashier.
Both of these institutions do a general bank-
ing and exchange business and find steady em-
ployment for all their capital.

The first postofBce was opened in February,
1859, with J. M. Corey as postmaster. The
present incumbent of the office is W. G. Leh-
man, whose enterprise has provided an office
with modern appointments far in advance of
those of ordinary country villages.

Yates City was chartered on March 4. 1869,
its first trustees being: D. Touslee, W. H.
Eastman, Frank Madden, G. N. Pierce and J.

D. Roberts, Mr. Touslee being the President.

E. B. Rhea, City Clerk; W. L. Adams, Marshal;
Benjamin Kersey, Treasurer; and David Wiltse,
Police Magistrate. The present Board con-
sists of A. W. Garrison, President; F. E. Wil-
son, W. W. Wood, William T. Corbin and Frank
Anderson. J. B. Coykindall, City Clerk; M.
Knable, Marshal; Smith Rhea, Treasurer; and
T. J. Kightlinger, Police Magistrate.

It has a graded school of four departments,
that compares favorably with similar schools
throughout the county. A full English course
is taught, with the sciences and Latin. Pro-
fessor W. F. Boyes is Principal, with Mr. C. W.
Bird, and Misses Lizzie Spickard and Mary
Friend as teachers of the Grammar, Intermed-
iate and Primary departments, respectively. All
are energetic and faithful workers in their pro-
fession, and have made the school one of the
educating forces of the county. For the past
five years it has had an elementary course in



vocal music, of which Miss Minnie Ey.'rly is the
present teacher. The enrollment of pupils is
one hundred and eighty-one, with one hundred
and sixty-three in average attendance. An im-
portant feature of the institution is its library
of about nineteen hundred volumes, previously
mentioned, that furnishes an inexhaustible
mine of information, auxiliary to the line of
regular study. The present school building,
erected in 1872, is out of date and inconvenient,
but will, no doubt, soon be replaced by a more
modern structure.

The Yates City Banner, formerly the Indus-
trial Banner, was founded by A. H. Mc-
Keighan, its present editor and proprietor. Its
first issue appeared December 25, 1879. It
stanchly advocated the Greenback policy dur-
ing that agitation, and has vigorously cham-
pioned the movements in favor of prohibition
and free silver. The Banner has always been
firmly devoted to the best interests of the com-
munity, and fearless in advocating what, in its
view, seemed best. It is independent in politics,
giving its support to those measures which it
believes to promise the best results to the
whole people. It has ever been a mortal foe
to the saloon; its motto is "hew to the line, let
the chips fall where they may."

Yates City has an excellent system of elec-
tric lighting, introduced in October, 1894. It
obtains its power, by contract, from the Elm-
wood Electri" Lighting Company, of Elmwood,
two and one-half miles east, in Peoria County.
It also has a volunteer fire company and an
engine, and about one mile of vitrified brick
sidewalk.

The First Presbyterian Church was organ-
ized by a committee from Peoria Presbytery,
which met November 16, 1866, in the school
house. After a sermon by Rev. Thomas
Stevenson, an enrollment was made and
eighteen members were admitted, chiefly by
letter. Joseph Cunningham and William B.
Matthews were chosen Elders. An election of
trustees resulted in the choice of John C. Bry-
son, John D. Huey and William B. Matthews.
The first pastor was Rev. John H. Smith; the
present is Rev. Donald M. Ross. R. J. Mc-
Keighan, J. J. Matthews, J. M. Corey, C. M. Bliss
and L. A. Lawrence compose the session. With
the exception of a .ew brief intervals, regular
preaching services have been held since the
organization of the church. A house of wor-
ship costing over three thousand dollars was
erected in 1867. The congregation supports a



KNOX COUNTY.



flourishing Sabbath school, started in 1867 by
Mr. G. N. Pierce. Elder W. B. Matthews was
Superintendent most of the time until his
death, in December, 1890, when L. A. Lawrence
was chosen. He has discharged the duties of
the position down to the present time. The
average annual attendance has been about
eighty, and its sessions regular. Beside the
Sabbath school, the Ladies' Missionary Society
has been an active, vital force since its organ-
ization, about 1875. It has been tireless in ad-
vocating and supporting the home and foreign
mission work of the church, never failing to
make a liberal monthly and annual contribu-
tion. The Young People's Society of Christian
Endeavor was organized in 1886, and has pur-
sued its way steadily and faithfully, with good,
substantial results. Its present officers are: J.
L. McKeighan, President; George Montgomery,
Vice President; Bertha Chamberlain, Record-
ing Secretary; Zora Conver, Corresponding
Secretary; and Giles Matthews. Treasurer.

This church has a substantial parsonage, the
gift of one of its oldest and stanchest mem-
bers, Mr. James McKeighan, just before his
death, in November, 1885.

The Baptists, among whom were M. Law-
rence, James Burson, Andrew Vance, Charles
Haines, A. M. Swan and David Corley, and
their families, with Rev. A. R. Newton as
leader, commenced a house of worship in
1864-65, laying the foundation and procuring
materials, when difficulties arose, and their
site and materials were sold to the Methodist
Episcopal Church, prominent among whose
members were J. M. Cool, R. F. Anderson,
Ephraim Jordan, Bostwick Kent, Sylvester
Goold, and John Foster, who took up the work,
completing the building and dedicating it in
1868. There they have held regular Sabbath
services since, usually conducted by non-
resident ministers, from neighboring churches.
At present the church is under the care of Rev.
Mr. Henderson, of Peoria. Its work has been
steadily strengthened by a regular, well-
attended Sabbath school, and later by a branch
of the Epworth League, organized in 1888 by
the young people. Mr. Thomas Terry is the
present Sabbath school superintendent.

A Universalist church was organized Septem-
ber 1, 1866, and an edifice built the same year,
which was used conjointly by the other denom-
inations until their own houses of worship were
completed. The first and leading members of
this denomination were: J. E. Knable, M. B.



Walter Bailey, James Clisson, James
H. Nicholson, S. S. Buffum, T. L. Long and A.
B. Taylor, with their families. Rev. Mr. Car-
ney, of Knoxville, was their first pastor, fol-
lowed irregularly until April 5, 1889, when,
complications having arisen, the church was
disbanded by petition and the property sold.

The following organized societies are found
here:

Yates City Lodge, No. 448, A. F. and A.
M., was chartered October 4, 1865, with eighteen
members and the following officers: S. S. Buf-
fum, W. M.; J. E. Knable, S. W.; and M. B.
Mason, J. W. Its present officers are: C. D.
North, W. M.; J. W. Wood, S. W.; S. E. Milam,
J. W. ; John McKinty, Treasurer; F. E. Wilson,
Secretary. Its membership is forty-one.

Eureka Chapter, No. 98, R. A. M., was char-
tered October 5, 1866, with twenty-five mem-
bers. The first officers were: Benjamin Ker-
sey, H. P.; M. B. Mason, K.; J. C. Riner, Scribe.
The present officers are: J. M. Corey, H. P.;
G. W. Johnson, E. K.; J. W. Wood, E. S.; M. W.
Thomson, C. N.; William Anderson, Pr. S.;
C. D. North, R. A. C; S. E. Milam, Treasurer;
F. E. Wilson, Secretary; W. H. Hauser, Tyler.
The chapter has sixty-five members.

Yates City Lodge, No. 207, I. 0. 0. P., was
chartered October 13, 1868, with Imri Dunn,
Benjamin Hayes, B. Bevens, A. S. Murphey and
Henry Soldwell as charter members. Its first
officers were: Henry Soldwell, N. G.; B. S.
Briggs, V. G. ; Benjamin Hayes, Secretary; and

B. Bevens, Treasurer. The present officers are:

C. V. Bird, N. G.; S. W. Stone, V. G.; T. J.
Kighttinger, Recording Secretary; J. W. Bird,
Permanent Secretary; W. A. Goold, Warden;
and J. W. Dixon, Treasurer. The present mem-
bership is thirty-nine. The lodge owns a good
hall, conjointly with the Masons.

Camp No. 3102, Modern Woodmen of Amer-
ica, was chartered July 25. 1895, with twenty-
three members and the following officers: S. P.
Hassenbacher, V. C; Charles T. White, W. A.;
John U. Conver, E. B.; Samuel E. Knox, Clerk.
At present the officers are: S. P. Hassenbacher,
V. C; M. Ellison, W. A.; Prank Christman, E.
B.; S. W. Stone, Clerk. The camp has forty-five
members, and meets in the same hall as the
Masons and Odd Fellows.

Morgan L. Smith Post, No. 666, Department
of Illinois, G. A. R., was instituted January 25,
1889, with twenty members and the following
officers: J. N. Burch, Commander; W. S. Kleck-
ner. Senior Vice Commander; B. P. Pittiman,




WEBER A.JAQUITH.



KNOX COUNTY.



Junior Vice Commander; J. O. Wren, Chaplain;
F. W. Brown, Officer of the Day; J. B. Reed,
Quartermaster; M. W. French, Adjutant. The
present officers are: A. Schoenberger, Com-
mander; G. W. Golliday. Senior Vice Com-
mander; T. C. Hand, Junior Vice Commander;
J. 0. W^ren, Chaplain; O. P. Fetters, Quarter-
master; L. A. Lawrence, Adjutant. The post
has at present fifteen members.

LOUIS P. ARBOGAST.

Louis P. Arbogast, son of Jesse and Susan
(Stoner) Arbogast, was born January 1, 1S44,
in Wabash County, Indiana. His father was
born in Harris County, Virginia, to Peter and
Christina Arbogast, and his mother was born
in Baltimore, Maryland, to Henry and Susan
Stoner; his grandparents came from Germany.

Mr. Arbogast came with his parents from In-
diana to Fulton County, in 1S.54, and to McDon-
ough County, Illinois, in 1855, where his par-
ents died. In 1865 he removed to Farmington,
Illinois, and thence, in 1870, to Salem Town-
ship, where he located on Section 19. His farm,
three miles south of Douglas, contains three
hundred and twenty acres of land, and is
known as the "Lone Birch Stock Farm." He
has been an extensive raiser of stock, prin-
cipally "Short Horn" cattle and Poland China
swine.

Mr. Arbogast was married in Galesburg, Illi-
nois, February IS. 1875, to Esther E. Potter,
who was born in Salem Township. Her par-
ents were Norman Z. and Charlotte (Blakeslee)
Potter, both of whom died at the old homestead
in Salem Township. Mr. and Mrs. Arbogast
have one son, Norman P., born June IS, 1882.
In politics, Mr. Arbogast is a republican, and
has held the office of Road Commissioner two
terms; he has been Assessor, School Director
and School Trustee, holding the latter offices
many years. He was a leader in the organiza-
tion of the Cemetery Association, of Union-
town, and served as Trustee twenty years. He
is a dealer in all kinds of fruit, sucli as black-
berries, strawberries, raspberries, prunes, apri-
cots, peaches, pears and apples.

JAMES MADISOX HUXTER.

James Madison Hunter was born December
31. 1811. in what was then known as Frankle-
ton, now Columbus. Franklin County. Ohio.
His parents, Joseph and Deborah (McGowan)
Hunter, married and settled in Ohio, while it
was yet a territory. His father was a native
of Pennsylvania, but his mother was from New-
foundland, Canada. The Hunter family is of
Scotch-Irish descent, and their ancestry were
Protestants. Grandfather McGowan was a sol-
dier in the Revolution.

Judge James M. Hunter was the third of five
sons, left orphans when he was but four years
old. At the age of five he left the home of the
uncle with whom he was then living, and en-
tered the service of a farmer by the name of



Cutler, whose land adjoined the city of Colum-
bus, Ohio.

Judge Hunter was a self-made and self-
educated man. All the educational advantages
he enjoyed were those secured in the country
and city schools, while he was living with Mr.
Cutler. He was only seventeen years old when
he went into the business of transporting
freight from different lake ports to Dayton and
Cincinnati. In this business he continued five
years, and then, in 1833, sold out and rented a
farm two and one-half miles from Columbus.
It was March 6 of this year (1833) that he mar-
ried Miss Eliza Hunter, of Madison County,
Ohio. Mrs. Hunter was born October 12, 1817.
Mr. and Mrs. Hunter remained upon their
rented farm only eighteen months, and then
removed to Union County, Ohio, where they
purchased eighty acres of land and where they
resided for three years. They then removed
to Madison County, Ohio, and bought a farm
of two hundred and forty acres. In lS4('i Jlr.
Hunter, with his wife and children, moved to
Illinois and settled in Salem Township, where
he bought three hundred and sixty acres of
land and began to improve it. Here he lived
the remainder of his life, an active, honorable
and honored citizen of the county. For eight
years he was Justice of the Peace, and was one
of the last three Associate Justices of Knox
County. He was known far and wide, and in
the southeastern part of Knox County was one
of the best known and most representative citi-
zens.

Judge Hunter died on his farm November 15,
1894, at neaj-ly eighty-three years of age. Mrs.
Hunter died December 4, 1888, at the age of
seventy-six. They had six children, all of whom
reached maturity: Deborah: Joseph; Charles
R.: James M.; Eliza J., wife of H. C. Mann;
and Mary A., wife of R. H. Harper.

The character that Judge Hunter builded
was far more than financial success. It is
something that will endure forever, a monu-
ment to Ills memory and an honor to his
county. In politics, he was a democrat, an



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 205 of 207)