Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 29 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 29 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Civil War.) "The parties went out to the
ground selected for the duel, in what was then
Wisconsin Territory, seven miles north of Galena,
and, after one ineffectual fire, the matter was
compromised. Subsequently, Bartlett removed
to Quincy, and was for a long time connected
with the publication of 'The Quincy Whig.'"'

During the session of the Twelfth General
Assembly (1841), A. R. Dodge, a Democratic
Representative from Peoria County, feeling him-
self aggrieved by some reflections indulged by Gen.
John J. Hardin (then a Whig Representative
from Morgan County) upon the Democratic partj-
in connection with the partisan reorganization
of the Supreme Court, threatened to "call out"
Hardin. The affair was referred to W. L. D.
Ewing and W. A. Richardson for Dodge, and
J. J. Brown and E. B. Webb for Hardin, with
the result that it was amicably adjusted "honor-
ably to both parties."

It was during the same session that John A.
McClernand, then a yoimg. and fiery member
from Gallatin Countj' — who had, two years
before, been ajipointed Secretary of State by
Governor Carlin, but had been debarred from
taking the office by an adverse decision of the
Supreme Court — indulged in a violent attack
upon the Whig members of the Court based upon
allegations afterwards shown to have been fur-
nished by Theophilus W. Smith, a Democratic
member of the same court. Smith having joined
his associates in a card denying the truth of the
charges, McClernand responded with the publi-
cation of the cards of persons tracing the allega-
tions directly to Smith himself. This brought a
note f i-om Smith which McClernand construed into
a challenge and answered with a prompt accept-



ance. Attorney-General Lamborn, having got
wind of the affair, lodged a complaint with a
Sjiringfield Justice of the Peace, which resulted
in placing the pugnacious jurist under bonds to
keep the peace, when he took his departure for
Chicago, and the "affair" ended.

An incident of greater historical interest than
all the others yet mentioned, was the affair in
which James Shiehls and Abraham Lincoln — the
former the State Auditor and the latter at that
time a young attorney at Springfield — were con-
cerned. A communication in doggerel verse had
appeared in "The Springfield Journal" ridiculing
the Auditor. Shields made demand upon the
editor (Mr. Simeon Francis) for the name of the
author, and, in accordance with previous under-
standing, the name of Lincoln was given. (Evi-
dence, later coming to light, showed that the real
authors were Miss Mary Todd — who, a few months
later, became Mrs. Lincoln — and Miss Julia Jayne,
afterwards tlie wife of Senator Trumbull.)
Shields, through John D. AVhiteside, a former
State Treasurer, demanded a retraction of the
offensive matter — tlie demand being presented to
Lincoln at Tremont, in Tazewell County, where
Lincohi was attending court. Without attempt-
ing to follow the affair through all its complicated
details — Shields having assumed that Lincoln was
the author without further investigation, and
Lincoln refusing to make anj' explanation unless
the first demand was withdrawn — Lincoln named
Dr. E. H. Merriman as his second and accepted
Shield's challenge, naming cavalry broadswords
as the weapons and the Missouri shore, within
three miles of the city of Alton, as the place.
The principals, with their "friends," met at the
appointed time and place (Sept. 22, 1842, opposite
the city of Alton) ; but, in the meantime, mutual
friends, having been apprised of what was going
on, also appeared on the gi-ound and brought
about explanations which averted an actual con-
flict. Those especially instrumental in bringing
about this result were Gen. .John J. Hardin of
Jacksonville, and Dr. R. W. English of Greene
County, while John D. Wliiteside, W. L. D.
Ewing and Dr. T. M. Hope acted as represent-
atives of Shields, and Dr. E. H. Merriman,
Dr. A. T. Bledsoe and William Butler for Lincoln.

Out of this affair, within the next few days,
followed challenges from Shields to Butler and
Whiteside to Merriman ; but, although these were
accepted, yet owing to some objection on the part
of the challenging party to the conditions named
by the party challenged, thereby resulting in de-
lay, no meeting at^tually took place.



140



HISTOKICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Another affair which bore important results
without ending in a tragedy, occurred during the
session of the Constitutional Convention in 1847.
The parties to it were O. C. Pratt and Thompson
Campbell — both Delegates from Jo Daviess
County, and both Democrats. Some sparring
between them over tlie question of suffrage for
naturalized foreigners resulted in an invitation
from Pratt to Campbell to meet him at the
Planters' House in St. Louis, with an intimation
that this was for the purpose of arranging the
preliminaries of a duel. Both parties were on
hand before the appointed time, but their arrest
by the St. Louis authorities and putting them
under heavy bonds to keep the peace, gave them
an excuse for returning to their convention
duties without coming to actual hostilities— if
they had such intention. This was promptly
followed by the adoption in Convention of the
provision of the Constitution of 1848, disqualify-
ing any person engaged in a dueling affair, either
as principal or second, from holding any oflace of
honor or profit in the State.

The last and principal affair of this kind of
historic significance, in which a citizen of Illinois
was engaged, tliough not on Illinois soil, was that
in which Congressman William H. Bissell, after-
wards Governor of Illinois, and Jefferson Davis
were concerned in February, 1850. During the
debate on the "Compromise Measures" of that
year, Congressman Seddon of "Virginia went out
of his way to indulge in implied reflections upon
the courage of Northern soldiers as displayed on
the battle-field of Buena Vista, and to claim for
the Mississippi regiment commanded by Davis
the credit of saving the day. Replying to these
claims Colonel Bissell took occasion to correct the
Virginia Congressman's statements, and especi-
ally to vindicate the good name of the Illinois and
Kentucky troops. In doing so he declared that,
at the critical moment alluded to by Seddon,
when the Indiana regiment gave way, Davis's
regiment was not within a mile and a half of the
scene of action. This was construed by Davis as
a reflection upon his troops, and led to a challenge
which was promptly accepted by Bissell, who
named the soldier's weapon (the common army
musket), loaded with ball and buckshot, with
forty paces as the distance, with liberty to
advance up to ten— otherwise leaving the pre-
liminaries to lie settled by his friends. The evi-
dence manifested by Bissell that he was not to be
intimidated, but was prepared to face death
itself to vindicate his own honor and that of liis
comrades in the field, was a surprise to the South-



ern leaders, and they soon foimd a way for Davis
to withdraw his challenge on condition that
Bissell should add to his letter of acceptance a
clause awarding credit to the Mississippi regi-
ment for what they actually did, but without dis-
avowing or retracting a single word he had
uttered in his speech. In the meantime, it is said
that President Taylor, who was the father-in-law
of Davis, having been apprised of what was on
foot, had taken precautions to prevent a meeting
by instituting legal proceedings the night before
it was to take place, though this was rendered
unnecessary by the act of Davis himself. Thus,
Colonel Bissell's position was virtually (though
indirectly) justified by his enemies. It is true,
he was violently assailed by his political opponents
for alleged violation of the inhibition in the State
Constitution against dueling, especially when he
came to take the oath of ofRce as Governor of
Illinois, seven years later ; but his course in "turn-
ing the tables" against his fire-eating opponents
aroused the enthusiasm of the North, while his
friends maintained that the act having been
performed beyond the jurisdiction of the State,
he was technically not guilty of any violation of
the laws.

While the provision in the Constitution of 1848,
against dueling, was not re- incorporated in that
of 1870, the laws on the subject are very strin-
gent. Besides imposing a penalty of not less than
one nor more than five years' imprisonment, or a
fine not exceeding S3, 000, upon any one who, as
principal or second, participates in a duel with a
deadly weapon, whether such duel proves fatal
or not, or who sends, carries or accepts a chal-
lenge: the law also provides that any one con-
victed of such offense shall be disqualified for
holding "any office of profit, trust or emolument,
either civil or military, under the Constitution or
laws of this State." Any person leaving the
State to send or receive a challenge is subject to
the same penalties as if the offense had been
committed within the State ; and any person who
may inflict upon his antagonist a fatal wound, as
the result of an engagement made in this State to
fight a duel beyond its jurisdiction — when the
person so wounded dies within this State — is held
to be guilty of murder and subject to punishment
for the same. The publishing of any person as a
coward, or the applying to him of opprobrious or
abusive language, for refusing to accept a chal-
lenge, is declared to be a crime punishable by
fine or imprisonment.

DUFF, Andrew D., lawyer and Judge, was
born of a family of pioneer settlers in Bond



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



141



County, III, Jan. 24, 1820; was educated in the
country schools, and, from 1842 to 1847, spent his
time in teaching and as a farmer. The latter
year he removed to Benton, Franklin County,
where he began reading law, but suspended his
studies to enlist in the Mexican War, serving as a
private; in 1849 was elected County Judge of
Franklin County, and, in the following year, was
admitted to the bar. In 1861 he was elected
Judge for the Twenty-sixth Circuit and re-
elected in 1807, serving until 187.!. He also
served as a Delegate in the State Constitutional
Convention of 1862 from the district composed of
Franklin and Jackson Counties, and, being a
zealous Democrat, was one of the leaders in
calling the ma.ss meeting held at Peoria, in
August, 1864, to protest against the ]iolicy of the
Government in the prosecution of the war.
About the close of his last term upon the bench
(1873), he removed to Carbondale, where he con-
tinued to reside. In his later years he be-
came an Independent in politics, acting for
a time in cooperation with the friends of
temperance. In 1885 he was appointed by joint
resolution of the Legislature on a commission to
revise the revenue code of the State. Died, at
Tucson, Ariz., Jime 25, 1889.

DUXCAN, Joseph, Congressman and Gov-
ernor, was born at Paris, Ky., Feb. 22, 1794;
emigrated to Illinois in 1818, having previously
served with distinction in the War of 1812, and
been presented with a sword, by vote of Congress,
for gallant conduct in the defense of Fort Stephen-
son. He was commissioned Major-General of
Illinois militia in 1823 and elected State Senator
from Jackson County in 1824. He served in the
lower house of Congress from 1827 to 1834, when
he resigned his seat to occupy the gubernatorial
chair, to which he was elected the latter year. He
was the author of the first free-school law,
adopted in 1825. His executive policy was con-
servative and consistent, and his administration
successful. He erected the first frame building
at Jacksonville, in 1834, and was a liberal friend
of Illinois College at that place. In his personal
character he was kindly, genial and unassuming,
although fearless in the expression of his convic-
tions. He was the Whig candidate for Governor
in 1842, when he met with his first political
defeat. Died, at Jacksonville, Jan. 15, 1844,
mourned by men of all parties.

DUXCAN, Thomas, .soldier, was born in Kas-
kaskia. 111., April 14, 1809; served as a private in
the Illinois mounted volunteers during the Black
Hawk War of 1832 ; also as First Lieutenant of



cavah-y in the regular armj- in the Mexican War
(1846), and as Major and Lieutenant-Colonel
during the War of the Rebellion, still later doing
duty upon the frontier keeping the Indians in
check. He was retired from active service in
1873, and died in Washington, Jan. 7, 1887.

DUNDEE, a town on Fox River, in Kane
Count}', 5 miles (by rail) north of Elgin and 47
miles west northwest of Chicago. It has two
distinct corporations — East and West Dundee —
but is progressive and united in action. Dairy
farming is one of the principal industries of the
adjacent region, and the town has a large cream-
ery and a cheese factory. It has good water-
power and there are flour and saw-mills, besides
extensive brick and tile works; it also has a
bank, six churches, a handsome high school
building, a public library and two weekly news-
papers. Population (1880), 1,4.34; (1890), 2,023.

DUNHAM, John High, banker and Board of
Trade operator, was born in Seneca County,
N. Y., 1817; came to Chicago in 1844, engaged in
the wholesale grocery trade, and, a few years
later, took a prominent part in solving the ques-
tion of a water supply for the city ; was elected to
the Twentieth General Assembly (1856) and the
next year assisted in organizing the Merchants'
Loan & Trust Company, of which he became the
first President, retiring five years later and re-
engaging in the mercantile business. While
Hon. Hugh McCullough was Secretary of the
Treasury, he was appointed National Bank
Examiner for Illinois, serving until 1866. He
was a member of the Chicago Historical Society,
the Academy of Sciences, and an early member
of the Board of Trade. Died, April 28, 1893,
leaving a large estate.

DUNHAM, Ransom W., merchant and Con-
gressman, was born at Savoy, Mass., March 21,
1838 ; after graduating from the High School at
Springfield, Mass., in 1855, was connected with
the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Com-
pany until August, 1860. In 1857 he removed
from Springfield to Chicago, and at the termina-
tion of his connection with the Insurance Com-
pany, embarked in the grain and provision
commission business in tliat city, and, in 1882,
was President of the Chicago Board of Trade.
From 1883 to 1889 he represented the First Illinois
District in Congress, after the expiration of his
last term devoting his attention to his large
private business. His death took place suddenly
at Springfield, Mass.. August 19, 1896.

DUNLAP, (ieorge Lincoln, civil engineer and
Railway Superiatendent, was bom at Brunswick,



142



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Maine, in 1828 ; studied mathematics and engineer-
ing at Gorham Academy, and, after several
years' experience oii the Boston & Maine and the
New York & Erie Railways, came west in 1855
and accepted a position as assistant engineer on
what is now the Chicago & Northwestern Rail-
road, finally becoming its General Superintend-
ent, and, in fourteen years of his connection with
that road, vastly extending its lines. Between
1872 and '79 he was connected with the Montreal
& Quebec Railway, but the latter year returned
to Illinois and was actively connected with the
extension of the Wabash system until his retire-
ment a few years ago.

DUNLAP, Henry M., horticulturist and legis-
lator, was born in Cook County, 111., Nov. 14,
1853— the son of M. L. Dunlap (the well-known
"Rural"), who became a prominent horticulturist
In Champaign County and was one of the found-
ers of the State Agricultural Society. The family
having located at Savoy, Champaign County,
about 1857, the younger Dunlap was educated in
the University of Illinois, graduating in the
scientific department in 1875. Following in the
footsteps of his father, he engaged extensively
in fruit-growing, and has served in tlie office of
both President and Secretary of the State Horti-
cultural Society, besides local offices. In 1892 he
was elected as a Republican to the State Senate
for the Thirtieth District, was re-elected in 1896,
and has been prominent in State legislation.

DUNLAP, Mathias Lane, horticulturist, was
born at Cherry Valley, N. Y., Sept. 14, 1814;
coming to La Salle County, 111., in 1835, he
taught school the following winter ; then secured
a clerkship in Chicago, and later became book-
keeper for a firm of contractors on the Illinois &
Michigan Canal, remaining two years. Having
entered a body of Government land in the western
part of Cook Count}', he tiu-ned his attention to
farming, giving a portion of his time to survey-
ing. In 1845 he became interested in horticulture
and, in a few years, built up one of the most
extensive nurseries in the West. In 1854 he was
chosen a Representative in the Nineteenth Gen-
eral Assembly from Cook Coimty, and, at the
following session, presided over the caucus which
resulted in the nomination and final election of
Lyman Trumbull to the United States Senate for
the first time. Politically an anti-slavery Demo-
crat, he espoused the cause of freedom in the
Territories, while his house was one of the depots
of the "underground railroad." In 1855 he pur-
chased a half-section of land near Champaign,
whither he removed, two years later, for the



prosecution of his nursery business. He was an
active member, for many years, of the State Agri-
cultural Society and an earnest supporter of the
scheme for the estabUshment of an "Industrial
University," which finally took form in the Uni-
versity of Illinois at Champaign. From 1853 to
his death he was the agricultural correspondent,
first of "The Chicago Democratic Press," and
later of "The Tribune," writing over the nom de
plume of "Rural." Died, Feb. 14, 1875.

bU PAGE COUNTY, organized in 1839, named
for a river which flows through it. It adjoins
Cook County on the west and contains 340 square
miles. In 1890 its population was 22,551. The
coimty-seat was originally at Naperville, which
was platted in 1843 and named in honor of Capt.
Joseph Naper, who settled vipon the site in 1831.
In 1869 the county government was removed to
Wheaton, the location of Wheaton College,
where it yet remains. Besides Captain Naper,
early settlers of prominence were Bailey Hobson
(the pioneer in the township of Lisle), and Pierce
Downer (in Downer's Grove). The chief towns
are Wheaton (population, 1,622), Naperville
(2,216), Hinsdale (1,584), Downer's Grove (960),
and Roselle (450). Hinsdale and Roselle are
largely populated by persons doing business in
Chicago.

DU QUOIN, a city and railway junction in
Perry County, 76 miles north of Cairo. It has a
public library, a public park, a graded school, a
foundry, machine shops, salt-works, flour mills
and numerous coal mines. Four newspapers are
published here, one daily. Population (1880),
2,807; (1890), 4,053: (1893) estimated, 4,500.

DURBOROW, Allan Catlicart, ex-Congress-
man, was born in Philadelphia, Nov. 20, 1857.
When five years old he accompanied his parents
to Williamsport, Ind., where he received his
early education. He entered the preparatory
department of Wabash College in 1872, and
graduated from the University of Indiana, at
Bloomington, in 1877. After two years' residence
in Indianapolis, he removed to Chicago, where he
engaged in business. Always active in local
politics, he was elected by the Democrats in 1890,
and again in 1892, Representative in Congress
from the Second District, retiring with the close
of the Fifty-third Congress. Mr. Durborow is
Treasurer of the Chicago Air-Line Express Com-
pany.

DUSTIN, (Gen.) Daniel, soldier, was born in
Topsham, Orange County, Vt., Oct. 5, 1820;
received a common-school and academic educa-
tion, graduating in medicine at Dartmouth Col-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



143



lege in 1846. After practicing tliree years at
Corinth, Vt. , he went to California in 1850 and
engaged in mining, but three years later resumed
the practice of his profession while conducting a
mercantile business. He was subsequently chosen
to the California Legislature from Nevada
County, but coming to Illinois in 1808, he
engaged in the drug business at Sycamore, De
Kalb Countj', in connection with J. E. Elwood.
On the breaking out of the war in 1861, he soM
out his drug business and assisted in raising the
Eighth Regiment Illinois Cavalry, and was com-
missioned Captain of Company L. The regiment
was assigned to the Army of tlie Potomac, and,
in January, 1862, he was promoted to the position
of Major, afterwards taking part in the battle of
Manassas, and the great "seven days' fight"
before Richmond. In September, 1863, the One
Hundred and Fifth Regiment Illinois Volimteer
Infantry was mustered in at Dixon, and Major
Dustin was commissioned its Colonel, soon after
joining the Arnjy of the Cumberland. After the
Atlanta campaign he was assigned to the com-
mand of a brigade in the Third Division of the
Twelfth Army Corps, remaining in this position
to the close of the war, meanwhile having been
brevetted Brigadier-General for bravery displayed
on the battle-field at Averysboro, N. C. He was
mustered out at Washington, June 7, 1865, and
took part in the grand review of the armies in
that city which marked the close of the war.
Returning to his home in De Kalb County, he
was elected County Clerk in tlie following
Xovember, remaining in office four years. Sub-
sequently he was chosen Circuit Clerk and ex-
officio Recorder, and was twice thereafter
re-elected — in 1884 and 1888. On the organization
of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Home at Quincy, in
1885, he was appointed by Governor Oglesby one
of the Trustees, retaining the position until his
death. In Jlay, 1890, he was appointed by
President Harrison Assistant United States
Treasurer at Chicago, but died in office while on
a visit with his daughter at Carthage, Mo. , March
30, 1892. General Dustin vras a Mason of high
degree, and, in 1872, was chosen Riglit Eminent
Commander of the Grand Commandery of tha
State.

DWIGHT, a city in Livingston County, 74
miles, by rail, south-southwest of Chicago, 53
miles northeast of Bloomington, and 22 miles east
of Streator. It has two banks, a weekly news-
paper, six churches, five large warehouses and
two hotels. The city is the center of a rich
farming and stock-raising district. Dwight has



attained wide celebrity as the location of the
first of a large number of "Keeley Institutes,"
founded for the cure of the drink and morphine
habits. Population (1880), 1,285; (1890), 1,.S,54.
These figures do not include the floating popula-
tion, which is largely augmented by patients who
come to receive treatment at the "Keeley Insti-
tute."

DYER, Charles Volney, M.D., pioneer physi-
cian, was born at Clarendon, Vt., June 12, 1808;
graduated in medicine at Middlebury College, in
1830; began practice at Newark, N. J., in 1831,
and in Chicago in 1835. He was an uncomprom-
ising opponent of slavery and an avowed sup-
porter of the "undergroxmd railroad," and, in
1848, received the support of the Free-Soil party
of IlHnois for Governor. Dr. Dyer was also one
of the original incorporators of the North Chicago
Street Railway Company, and his name was
prominently identified with many local benevo-
lent enterprises. Died, in Lake View (then a
suburb of Chicago), April 24, 1878.

EARLVILLE, a city and railway junction in
La Salle County, 52 miles northeast of Princeton,
at the intersecting point of the Chicago, Burling-
ton & Quincy and the Chicago & Northwestern
Railroads. It is in the center of an agricultural
and stock-raising district, and is an important
shipping point. It has seven churches, a graded
school, two banks, two weekly newspapers and
manufactories of plows, wagons and carriages.
Population (1880), 963; (1890), 1,058.

EARLY, John, legislator and Lieutenant-Gov-
ernor, was born of American parentage and Irish
ancestiy in Essex County, Canada West, March
17, 1828, and accompanied his parents to Cale-
donia, Boone County, 111., in 1846. His boyhood
was passed upon his father's farm, and in youtli
he learned the trade (his father's) of carpenter
and joiner. In 1852 he removed to Rockford,
Winnebago County, and, in 1865, became State
Agent of the New England Mutual lafe Insur-
ance Company. Between 1803 and 1866 he held
sundry local oflSces. and, in 1869, was appointed
by Governor Palmer a Trustee of the State
Reform School. In 1870 he was elected State



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 29 of 207)