Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 30 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 30 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Senator and re-elected in 1874, serving in the
Twenty-seventh, Twenty-eighth, Twenty-ninth
and Tliirtieth General Assemblies. In 1878 he
was elected President pro tem. of the Senate, and,
Lieut-Gov. Beveridge succeeding to the executive
chair, lie became ex-ofiicio Lieutenant-Governor.
In 1875 he was again the Republican nominee for
the Presidency of the Senate, but ivas defeated



144



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



b3^ a coalition of Democrats and Independents.
He died while a member of the Senate, Sept. 2,
1877.

EARTHQUAKE OF 1811. A series of the
most remarkable earthquakes in the history of
the Mississippi Valley began on the night of
November 16, 1811, continuing for several months
and finally ending %vith the destruction of Carac-
cas, Venezuela, in March following. While the
center of the earlier disturbance appears to have
been in the vicinity of New Madrid, in Southeast-
ern Missouri, its minor effects were felt through
a wide extent of country, especially in the
settled portions of Illinois. Contemporaneous
history states that, in the American Bottom, then
the most densely settled portion of Illinois, the
results were very perceptible. The walls of a
brick house belonging to Mr. Samuel Judy, a
pioneer settler in the eastern edge of the bottom,
near Edwardsville, Madison County, were cracked
by the convulsion, the effects being seen for more
than two generations. Gov. John Reynolds, then
a yoxmg man of 23, living with his father's
family in what was called the "Goshen Settle-
ment," near Edwardsville, in his history of "My
Own Times," says of it: "Our family were all
sleeping in a log-cabin, and my father leaped out
of bed, crying out, 'The Indians are on the house.
The battle of Tippecanoe had been recently
fought, and it was supposed the Indians would
attack the settlements. Not one in the family
knew at that time it was an earthquake. The
next morning another shock made us acquainted
with it. . . . The cattle came running home
bellowing with fear, and all animals were terribly
alarmed. Our house cracked and quivered so we
were fearful it would fall to the ground. In the
American Bottom many chimneys were thrown
down, and the church bell at Cahokia was
sounded by the agitation of the building. It is
said a shock of an earthquake was felt in Kaskas-
kia in 1804, but I did not perceive it." Owing to
the sparseness of the population in Illinois at that
time, but little is known of the effect of the con-
vulsion of 1811 elsewhere, but there are numerous
"sink-holes" in Union and adjacent counties,
between the forks of the Ohio and Mississippi
Rivers, which probably owe their origin to this or
some similar disturbance. "On the Kaskaskia
River below Athens," says Governor Reynolds in
his "Pioneer History," "the water and white sand
were thrown up through a fissure of the earth.

EAST DUBUQUE, an incorporated city of Jo
Daviess County, on the east bank of the Missis-
sippi, 17 miles (by rail) northeast of Galena. It



is connected with Dubuque, Iowa, by a railroad
and a wagon bridge two miles in length. It has
a grain elevator, a box factory, a planing mill
and manufactories of cultivators and sand drills.
It has also a bank, two churches, good public
schools and a weekly newspaper. Population
(1880), 1,037; (1890), 1,069.

EASTON, (Col.) Rufus, pioneer, founder of the
city of Alton; was born at Litchfield, Conn.,
May 4, 1774; studied law and practiced two
years in Oneida County, N. Y. ; emigrated to St.
Louis in 1804, and was commissioned by President
Jefferson Judge of the Territory of Louisiana,
and also became the first Postmaster of St. Louis,
in 1808. From 1814 to 1818 he served as Delegate
in Congress from Missouri Territory, and, on the
organization of the State of Missouri (1821), was
appointed Attorney-General for the State, serving
until 1826. His death occurred at St. Charles,
Mo., July 5, 1834. Colonel Easton's connection
with Illinois history is based chiefly upon the
fact that he was the founder of the present city
of Alton, which he laid out, in 1817, on a tract of
land of which he had obtained possession at the
mouth of the Little Piasa Creek, naming the
town for his son. Rev. Thomas Lippincott,
prominently identified with the early history of
that portion of the State, kept a store for Easton
at Milton, on Wood River, about two miles from
Alton, in the early " 'SO's."

EAST ST. LOUIS, a large city in St. Clair
County, on the east bank of the Mississippi directly
opposite St. Louis. Its industries are varied,
including rolling mills; steel, brass, malleable
iron and glass works; grain elevators and flour
mills, breweries, stock-yards and packing houses.
It is the terminus of a large number of important
railroad lines and the leading commercial and
manufacturing point in Southern Illinois. There
are six public schools, besides a flourishing
Roman Catholic College. The city is well supplied
with banks and has one daily and four weekly
papers. Population (1880), 9,185; (1890), 15,169;
(1898). estimated, 35,000.

EASTERN HOSPITAL FOR THE EVSANE.
The act for the establishment of this institution
passed the General Assembly in 1877. Many
cities offered inducements, by way of donations,
for the location of the new hospital, but the site
finally selected was a farm of 250 acres near Kan-
kakee, and this was subsequently enlarged by the
purchase of 327 additional acres in 1881. Work
was begun in 1878 and the first patients received
in December, 1879. The plan of the institution
is, in many respects, unique. It comprises a



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



145



general building, three stories high, capable of
accbmmodating 300 to 400 patients, and a number
of detached buildings, technically termed cot-
tages, where various classes of insane patients may
be grouped and receive the particular treatment
best adapted to ensure their recovery. Tlie phms
were mainly worked out from suggestions by
Frederick Howard Wines, LL.D., then Secretary
of the Board of Public Charities, and have
attracted generally favorable comment both in
tliis country and abroad. The seventy -five build-
ings occupied for the various purposes of the
institution, cover a quarter-section of land laid off
in regular streets, beautified with trees, plants
and flowers, and presenting all the appearance of
a flourishing village with numerous small parks
adorned with walks and drives. The counties
from which patients are received include Cook,
Champaign, Coles, Cumberland, De Witt, Doug-
las, Edgar, Ford, Grundy, Iroquois, Kankakee,
La Salle, Livingston, Macon, McLean, Moultrie^
Piatt, Shelby, Vermilion and Will. The whole
number of patients in 1898 was 2,200, %vhile the
employes of all classes numbered 500.

EASTERN ILLINOIS NORMAL SCHOOL, an
institution designed to qualify teachers for giving
instruction in the public schools, located at
Charleston, Coles County, under an act of the
Legislature passed at the session of 1895. The
act appropriated §50,000 for the erection of build-
ings, to which additional appropriations were
added in 1897 and 1898, of §25,000 and §50,000,
respectivelj', with §56,216.72 contributed by the
city of Charleston, making a total of §181,216.72.
The building was begun in 1896, the corner-stone
being laid on May 27 of that year. There was
delay in the progress of the work in consequence
of the failure of the contractors in December,
1896, but the work was resumed in 1897 and
practically completed early in 1899, with the
expectation that the institution would be opened
for the reception of students in September fol-
lowing.

EASTMAN, Zebina, anti-slavery journalist,
was born at North xVmherst, Mass., Sept. 8, 181.5:
became a printer's apprentice at 14, but later
spent a short time in an academy at Hadley.
Then, after a brief experience as an employe in
the oflSce of "The Hartford Pearl,'" at the age of
18 he invested his patrimony of some §2,000 in
the establishment of "The Free Press" at Fayette-
ville, Vt. This venture proving unsuccessful, in
1837 he came west, stopping a year or two at
Ann Arbor, Mich. In 1839 he visited Peoria by
way of Chicago, working for a time on "The



Peoria Register," but .soon after joined Benjamin
Lundy, who was preparing to revive his paper,
"The Genius of Universal Emancipation," at
Lowell, La Salle County. This scheme was
partially defeated by Lundy's early death, but,
after a few months' delay, Eastman, in conjunc-
tion with Hooper Warren, began the publication
of "The Genius of Liberty" as the successor of
Lundy's paper, using the printing press which
Warren had used in the office of ' 'The Commer-
cial Advertiser, " in Chicago, a year or so before. In
1842, at the invitation of prominent Abolitionists,
the paper was removed to Chicago, where it was
issued under the name of "The Western Citizen,"
in 1853 becoming "Tlie Free West," and finally,
in 1856, being merged in "The Chicago Tribune."
After the suspension of "The Free West," Mr.
Eastman began the publication of "The Chicago
Magazine," a literary and historical monthlj-,
but it reached only its fifth number, when it was
discontinued for want of financial support. In
1861 he was appointed by President Lincoln
United States Consul at Bristol, England, where
he remained eight years. On his return from
Europe, he took up his residence at Elgin, later
removing to Maywood, a suburb of Chicago,
where he died, June 14, 1883. During the latter
years of his life Mr. Eastman contributed many
articles of great historical interest to the Chi-
cago press. (See Lundy, Benjaviin, and Warren,
Hooper. )

EBERHART, John Frederick, educator and
real-estate operator, was born in Mercer County,
Pa., Jan. 21, 1829; commenced teaching at 16
years of age, and, in 1853, graduated from Alle-
gheny College, at Meadville, soon after becoming
Principal of Albriglit Seminary at Berlin, in the
same State ; in 1855 came west by way of Chicago,
locating at Dixon and engaging in editorial work ;
a year later established "The Northwestern
Home and School Journal," wliich he published
three years, in the meantime establishing and
conducting teachers' institutes in Illinois, Iowa
and Wisconsin. In 1859 he was elected School
Commissioner of Cook County — a position which
was afterwards changed to County Superintend-
ent of Schools, and which he held ten years. Mr.
Eberhart was largely instrumental in the estab-
lishment of the Cook County Normal School.
Since retiring from office he has been engaged in
the real-estate business in Chicago.

ECKHART, Bernard A., manufacturer and
President of the Chicago Drainage Board, was
born in Alsace, France (now Germany), brought
to America in infancy and reared on a farm ia



14G



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Vernon County, Wis. ; was eJucated at Milwau-
kee, and, in 1868, became clerk in the office of tlie
Eagle Milling Company of that city, afterwards
serving as its Eastern agent in various seaboard
cities. He finally established an extensive mill-
ing business in Chicago, in which he is now
engaged. In 1884 he served as a delegate to the
National Waterway Convention at St. Paul and,
in 1886, was elected to the State Senate, serving
four years and taking a prominent part in draft-
ing the Sanitary Drainage Bill passed by the
Thirty -sixth General Assembly. He has also been
prominent in connection with various financial
institutions, and, in 1891, was elected one of the
Trustees of the Sanitary District of Cliieago, was
re-elected in 1895 and chosen President of the
Board for the following year, and re-elected Pres-
ident in December, 1898.

EDBROOKE, Willoughby J., Supervising
Architect, was born at Deerfield, Lake County,
111., Sept. 3, 1843; brought up to the architectural
profession by his father and under the instruc-
tion of Chicago arcliitects. During Mayor
Roche's administration he held the position of
Commissioner of Public Works, and, in April,
1891, was appointed Supervising Arcliitect of the
Treasury Department at Washington, in that
capacity supervising the construction of Govern-
ment buildings at tlie World's Columbian Exposi-
tion. Died, in Chicago, Blarcli 26, 1896.

EDDY, Henry, pioneer lawyer and editor,
was born in Vermont, in 1798, reared in New
York, learned the printer's trade at Pittsburg,
served in the War of ISIS, and was wounded in
the battle of Black Rock, near Buffalo ; came to
Shawneetown, 111., in 1818, where he edited "The
Illinois Emigrant," the earliest paper in that
part of the State ; was a Presidential Elector in
1824, a Representative in the Second and Fif-
teenth General Assemblies, and elected a Circuit
Judge in 1835, but resigned a few weeks later.
He was a Wliig in politics. Usher F. Linder, in
his "Reminiscences of the Early Bench and Bar
of Illinois," says of Mr. Eddy: "When he
addressed the ooui-t, he elicited the most profound
attention. He was a sort of walking law library.
He never forgot anything that he ever knew,
wliether law, poetry or belles lettres." Died,
June 29, 1849.

EDDY, Thomas Mears, clergyman and author,
was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, Sept. 7,
1823; educated at Greensborough, Ind., and, from
1842 to 1853, was a Metliodist circuit preacher
in that State, becoming Agent of the American
3ible Society the latter year, and Presiding



Elder of the Indianapolis district until 1856, when
he was appointed editor of "The Northwestern
Christian Advocate," in Chicago, retiring from
that position in 1868. Later, he held pastorates
in Baltimore and Washington, and was chosen
one of the Corresponding Secretaries of tlie Mis-
sionary Society by the General Conference of
1872. Dr. Eddy was a copious writer for the
press, and, besides occasional sermons, published
two volumes of reriiiniscences and personal
sketches of prominent Illinoisans in the War of
the Rebellion under the title of "Patriotism of
Illinois" (1865). Died, in New York City, Oct.
7, 1874.

EDGAR, John, early settler at Kaskaskia, was
born in Ireland and, during the American Revo-
lution, served as an officer in the British navy,
but married an American woman of great force
of character who sympathized strongly with the
patriot cause. Having become involved in the
desertion of three British soldiers whom his wife
had promised to assist in reaching tlie American
camp, he was compelled to flee. A fter remaining
for a while in the American army, during which
he became the friend of General La Fayette, he
sought safety by coming west, arriving at Kas-
kaskia in 1784. His property was confiscated, but
his wife succeeded in saving some §12,000 from
the wreck, with which she joined him two years
later. He engaged in business and became an
extensive land-Owner, being credited, during
Territorial days, with the ownership of nearly
50,000 acres situated in Randolph, Monroe, St.
Clair, Madison, Clinton, Washington, Perry and
Jackson Counties, and long kno^ii as the "Edgar
lauds." He also purchased and rebuilt a mill
near Kaskaskia which had belonged to a French-
man named Paget, and became a large shipper of
flour at an early day to tlie Southern markets.
When St. Clair County was organized, in 1790, he
was appointed one of the Judges of the Common
Pleas Court, and so appears to have continued
for more than a quarter of a century. On the
establishment of a Territorial Legislature for the
Northwest Territory, he was chosen, in 1799, one
of the members for St. Clair County — the Legis-
lature holding its session at ChilUcothe, in the
present State of Ohio, imder the administration
of Governor St. Clair. He was also appointed a
Major-General of militia, retaining the office for
many years. General and Mrs. Edgar were
leaders of society at the old Territorial capital,
and, on the visit of La Fayette to Kaskaskia in
1825, a reception was given at their liouse to the
distinguished Frenchman, whose acquaintance



IILSTUKICAL KNCYCLOl'EDIA OF ILLINOIS.



147



tliey Uaii made more than forty years before. He
liieil at Kaskaskia. in 1832. Edgar (.'ounty, in the
eastern part of tlie State, was named in honor of
General Edgar. He was Worshipful Master of
the first Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons in Illinois, constituted at Kaskaskia in
1806.

EDGAR COUNTY, one of the middle tier of
counties from north to south, lying on the east-
ern border of the State; was organized in 1823,
and named for General Edgar, an early citizen of
Kaskaskia. It contains 630 square miles, witli
a population (1890) of 26,787. Tlie county is
nearly square, well watered an



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 30 of 207)