Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 33 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 33 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


three years (1847-50) during which he resided at
Paris, Edgar County. In 1850 he was elected to



158



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



the Legislature, aud, in 1853, to the Circuit bench,
serving on the latter by re-election till 1867. The
latter year he was a candidate for Justice of the
Supreme Court, but was defeated by the late
Judge Pinkney H. Walker. In 1869 he was
elected to the State Constitutional Convention,
but died in April, 1870, while the Convention was
still in session.

ENFIELD, a town of White County, at the
intersection of the Louisville & Nashville with
the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis
Railway, 10 miles west of Carmi ; is tlie seat of
Southern lUinois College. The town also has a
bank and two newspapers. Population (1880),
717; (1890). 870.

ENGLISH, Joseph G., banker, was born at
Rising Sun, Ind., Dec. 17, 1820; lived for a time
at Perrysville and La Fayette in that State, finally
engaging in merchandising in the former; in
1853 removed to Danville, 111., where he formed
a partnership with John L. Tincher in mercantile
business; later conducted a private banking busi-
ness and, in 1863, established the First National
Bank, of which lie has been President over twenty
years. He served two terms as Mayor of Dan-
ville, in 1873 was elected a member of the State
Board of Equalization, and, for more than twenty
years, has been one of the Directors of tlie Cldcago
& Eastern Railroad. At the present time Jlr.
English, having practically retired from busi-
ness, is spending most of his time in the West.

ENOS, Pascal Paoli, pioneer, was born at
Windsor, Conn., in 1770; graduated at Dartmouth
College in 1794, studied law, and, after spending
some years in Vermont, where he served as High
Sheriff of Windsor County, in September, 1815,
removed West, stopping first at Cincinnati. A
year later he descended the Ohio by flat-boat to
Shawneetown, 111., crossed the State by land,
finally locating at St. Charles, Mo., and later at
St. Louis. Then, having purchased a tract of land
in Madison County, 111., he remained there about
two years, when, in 1823, having received from
President Monroe the appointment of Receiver of
the newly established Land Office at Springfield,
he removed thither, making it his permanent
home. He was one of the original purchasers of
the land on vrhich the city of Springfield now
stands, and joined with Maj. Elijah lies, John
Taylor and Thomas Cox, the other patentees, in
laying out the town, to which they first gave the
name of Calhoun. Mr. Enos remained in office
through the administration of President John
Quincy Adams, but was removed by President
Jackson for political reasons, in 1829. Died, at



Springfield, April, 1832.— Pascal P. (Enos), Jr.,
eldest son of Mr. Enos, was born in St. Charles,
Mo. , Nov. 28, 1816 ; was elected Representative in
the General Assembly from Sangamon County in
1852, and served by appointment of Justice
McLean of the Supreme Court as Clerk of the
United States Circuit Court, being reappointed
by Judge David Davis, dying in office, Feb. 17,
1867.— Zimri A. (Enos), another son, was born
Sept. 29, 1821, is a citizen of Springfield — has
served as County Surveyor and Alderman of the
city. — Julia R., a daughter, was born in Spring-
field, Dec. 20, 1832, is the widow of the late O. M.
Hatch, Secretary of State (1857-65).

EPLER, Cyrus, lawyer and jurist, was born
at Charleston, Clark County, Ind., Nov. 12,
1825; graduated at Illinois College, Jackson-
ville, studied law, and was admitted to the
bar in 1852, being elected State's Attorney
the same year; also served as a member
of the General Assembly two terms (1857-61)
and as Master in Chancery for Morgan County,
1867-73. In 1873 he was elected Circuit Judge
for the Seventh Circuit and was re-elected
successively in 1879, '85 and '91, serving four
terms, aud retiring in 1897. During his entire
professional and official career his home has been
in Jacksonville.

Ei^UALITY, a village of Gallatin County, on
the Shawneetown Division of the Louisville &
Nashville Railroad, 11 miles west-northwest of
Shawneetown. It was for a time, in early days, the
county-seat of Gallatin County and market for
the salt manufactured in that vicinity. Some
coal is mined in the neighborhood. One weekly
paper is published here. Population (1880), 500;
(1890), 622.

ERIE, a village of Whiteside County, on the
Rock Island and Sterling Division of the Chicago,
Burlington & Quincy Railroad. 30 miles north-
east of Rock Island. Population (1880), 537;
(1890), 535.

EUREKA, the county -seat of Woodford Coimty,
incorporated in 1856, situated 19 miles east of
Peoria; is in the heart of a rich stock-raising and
agricultural district. The principal mechanical
industry is the manufacture of drain-tile and
pressed brick. Besides having good grammar
and high schools, it is also the seat of Eureka
College, under the control of the Christian de-
nomination, in connection with which are a nor-
mal school and a Biblical Institute. The town has
four weekly papers. Population (1880), 1,185;
(1890), 1,481; (1895, estimated), 1,900. Eureka
became the county-seat of Woodford County



niSTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIt-



1.-.1



early in 1S99, t)ie change from Metamora being
due to the central location and more convenient
eccessibilit}- of the former from all parts of tlie
county.

EUREKA COLLEGE, located at Eureka, Wood-
ford County, and chartered in 185.), distinctively
under the care and supervision of the "Christian"
or "Campbellite" denomination. The primary
aim of its founders was to prepare young men for
the ministry, while at the same time affording
facilities for liberal culture. It was chartered in
1855, and its growth, while gradual, has been
steady. Besides a preparatory department and a
business school, the college maintains a collegiate
department (with classical and scientific courses)
and a theological school, the latter being designed
to tit young men for the ministry of the denomi-
nation. Both male and female matriculates are
received. In 1896 there was a faculty of eighteen
professors and assistants, and an attendance of
some 325 students, nearly one-third of whom
were females. The total value of the institution's
property is 8144,000, which includes an endo\»-
ment of §45.000 and real estate valued at 885,000.
EUSTACE, John V., lawyer and judge, was
born in Philadelphia, Sept. 9, 1831 ; graduated
from the University of Pennsylvania in 1839, and,
in 1842, at the age of 21, was admitted to the bar,
removing the same year to Dixon, 111., where he
resided until his death. In 1856 he was elected
to the General Assembly and, in 1857, became
Circuit Judge, serving one term; was chosen
Presidential Elector in 1864, and, in March, 1878,
was again elevated to the Circuit Bench, vice
Judge Heaton, deceased. He was elected to the
same position in 1879, and re-elected in 1885, but
died in 1888, three years before the expiration of
his term.

EVANGELICAL SEMINARY, an institution
under the direction of the Lutlieran denomina-
tion, incorporated in 1865 and located at Elm-
hurst, Du Page County. Instruction is given in
the classics, theology, oratory and preparatory
studies, by a facultj' of eight teachers. The
number of pupils during the school year (1895-96)
was 133 — all young men. It has property valued
at 859,305.

EVANS, Henry H., legislator, was born in
Toronto, Can., March 9, 1836; brought by liis
father (who was a native of Pennsylvania) to
Aurora, 111., where the latter finally became fore-
man of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy ma-
cliine shops at that place. In 1862 j-oung Evans
enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth
Illinois Volunteers, serving until the close of the



war. Since the war he has become most widely
known as a member of the General Assembly, liav-
ing been elected first to the House, in 1876, and
subsequently to the Senate every four years from
1880 to the year 1898, giving him over twenty
years of almost continuous service. He is a large
owner of real estate and has been prominently
connected with financial and other business
enterprises at Aurora, including the Aurora Gas
and Street Railway Companies ; also served with
the rank of Colonel on the staffs of Governors
Cullom, Hamilton, Fifer and Oglesby.

EVANS, (Rev.) Jervice G., educator and re-
former, was born in Marshall County, 111., Dec.
19, 1833; entered the ministry of the Methodist
Episcopal Clmrch in 1854, and, in 1872, accepted
the presidency of Hedding College at Abingdon,
which he filled for six years. He then became
President of Chaddock College at Quincy, but the
following year returned to pastoral work. In
1889 he again became President of Hedding Col-
lege, wjiere (1898) he still remains. Dr. Evans is
a member of the Central Illinois (M. E.) Confer-
ence and a leader in the prohibition movement;
has also produced a number of volumes on reli-
gious and moral questions.

EVANS, John, M.D., physician and Governor,
was born at Waynesville, Ohio, of Quaker ances-
try, March 9, 1814; gi-aduated in medicine at
Cincinnati and began practice at Ottawa, 111.,
but soon returned to Ohio, finally locating at
Attica, Ind. Here he became prominent in the
establishment of the first insane hospital in In-
diana, at Indianapolis, about 1841-42, becoming a
resident of that city in 1845. Three years later,
having accepted a chair in Rush Medical College,
in Chicago, he removed thither, also serving for
a time as editor of "The Northwestern Medical
and Surgical Journal." He served as a member
of the Chicago City Council, became a successful
operator in real estate and in the promotion of
various railroad enterprises, and was one of tlie
founders of the Northwestern University, at
Evanston, serving as President of the Board of
Trustees over forty years. Dr. Evans was one of
the founders of the RepubUcan party in Illinois,
and a strong personal friend of President Lincoln,
from whom, in 1862, he received the appointment
of Governor of the Territory of Colorado, con-
tinuing in office until displaced by Andrew John-
son in 1865. In Colorado he became a leading
factor in the construction of some of the most
important railroad lines in that section, including
the Denver, Texas & Gulf Road, of which he was
for many years the President. He was also



160



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



prominent in connection with educational and
church enterprises at Denver, which was his home
after leaving Illinois. Died, in Denver, July 3, 1897.
EVANSTON, a city of Cook County, situated 13
miles north of Chicago, on the Chicago, Milwau-
kee & St. Paul and the Chicago & Northwestern
Kailroads. The original town was incorporated
Dec. 29, 1863, and, in March, 1869, a special act
was passed by the Legislature incorporating it as
a city, but rejected by vote of the people. On
Oct. 19, 1873, the voters of the corporate town
adopted village organizations under the General
Village and City Incorporation Act of the same
year. Since then annexations of adjacent terri-
tory to the village of Evanston have taken place
as follows: In January, 1873, two small districts
by petition ; in April, 1874, the village of North
Evanston was annexed by a majority vote of the
electors of both corporations; in April, 1886,
there was another annexation of a small out-lying
district by petition ; in February, 1893, the ques-
tion of the annexation of South Evanston was
submitted to the voters of both corporations and
adopted. On March 29, 1892, the question of
organization under a city government was sub-
mitted to popular vote of the consolidated corpo-
ration and decided in the affirmative, the lirst
city election taking place April 19, following.
The population of the original corporation of
Evanston, according to the census of 1890, was
12,073, and of South Evanston, 8,205, making the
total population of the new city 1.5,967. Judged
by the increase in population between 1880 and
1890, the present population of the consolidated
city (1898) cannot be less than 2.5,000, and is
likely to approach 30,000 by 1900. Evanston is
one of the most attractive residence cities in
Northern Illinois and famed for its educational
advantages. Besides having an admirable system
of graded and high schools, it is the seat of the
academic and theological departments of the
Northwestern University, the latter being known
as the Garrett Biblical Institute. The city has
well paved streets, is lighted by both gas and
electricity, and maintains its own system of
water works. Prohibition is strictly enforced
within the corporate limits under stringent
municipal ordinances, and the charter of the
Northwestern University forbidding the sale of
intoxicants within four miles of that institution.
As a consequence, it is certain to attract the
most desirable class of people, whether consisting
of those seeking permanent homes or simply
contemplating temporary residence for the sake
of educational advantages.



EWING, William Lee Davidson, early lawyer
and politician, was born in Kentucky in 1795, and
came to Illinois at an early day, first settling at
Shawneetown. As early as 1820 he appears from
a letter of Governor Edwards to President Mon-
roe, to have been holding some Federal appoint-
ment, presumably that of Receiver of Public
Moneys in the Land Office at Vandalia, as con-
temporary hi.story shows that, in 1822, he lost a
deposit of §1,000 by the robbery of the bank there.
He was also Brigadier-General of the State militia
at an early day. Colonel of the "Spy Battalion"
during the Black Hawk War, and, as Indian
Agent, superintended the removal of the Sacs
and Foxes west of the Mississippi. Otiier posi-
tions held by him included Clerk of the House of
Representatives two sessions (1836-27 and 1828-29) ;
Representative from the counties composing the
Vandalia District in the Seventh General Assem-
bly (1830-31), when he also became Speakerof the
House; Senator from the same District in the
Eighth and Ninth General Assemblies, of which
he was chosen President pro tempore. While
serving in this capacity he became ex-officio
Lieutenant-Governor in consequence of the resig-
nation of Lieut. -Gov. Zadoc Casey to accept a
seat in Congress, in March, 1833, and, in Novem-
ber, 1834, assumed the Governorship as successor
to Governor Reynolds, who had been elected to
Congress to fill a vacancy. He served only fifteen
days as Governor, when he gave place to Gov.
Joseph Duncan, who had been elected in due
course at the previous election. A year later
(December, 1835) he was chosen United States
Senator to succeed Elias Kent Kane, who had
died in oflSce. Failing of a re-election to the
Senatorship in 1837, he was returned to the House
of Representatives from his old district in 1838,
as he was again in 1840, at each session being
chosen Speaker over Abraham Lincoln, who was
the Whig candidate. Dropping out ,of the Legis-
lature at the close of his term, we find him at the
beginning of the next session (December, 1842) in
his old place as Clerk of the House, but, before
the close of the session (in March, 1843), appointed
Auditor of Public Accounts as successor to James
Shields, who had resigned. While occupying the
office of Auditor, Mr. Ewing died, March 2.5, 1846.
His public career was as unique as it was remark-
able, in the number and character of the official
positions held by him within a period of twenty-
five years.

EXECUTIVE OFFICERS. (See State officers
under heads of "Oovemor," "Lieutenant-Gov-
ernor," etc.)



IIISTOKICAL ENCYt'L()PET)IA OF ILLINOIS.



I



EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY, ILLINOIS
CHARITABLE. This institution is an outgrowtli
of a private charity founded at Chicago, in ISHB,
by Dr. Edward L. Holmes, a distinguislied Chi-
cago oculist. In 1871 the property of the institu-
tion was transferred to and accepted by the State,
the title was changed by the substitution of the
word "Illinois" for "Chicago," and the Infirmary
became a State institution. The fire of 1871
tiestroyed the building, and, in 1873-7-1, the State
erected another of brick, four stories in height,
at the corner of West Adams and Peoria Streets,
Chicago. The institution receives patients from
all the counties of the State, the same receiving
board, lodging, and medical aid, and (whenneces-
.sary) surgical treatment, free of charge. The
number of patients on Dec. 1, 1897, was 160. In
1S77 a free eye and ear dispensary was opened
under legislative authority, which is under charge
of some eminent Chicago specialists.

FAIRBURTj an important town of Livingston
County, situated ten miles southeast of Pontiac,
in a fertile and thickly settled region. Coal,
sandstone, limestone, fire-clay and a micaceous
quartz are found in the neighborhood. The town
has banks, grain elevators, flouring mills and two
weekly newspapers. Population (1880), 2,140;
(1890), 2,32-1.

FAIRFIELD, an incorporated town, the
county-seat of Wayne County and a railway
junction, 108 miles southeast of St. Louis. It is
the seat of Haj'ward Collegiate Institute; has an
extensive woolen factory and large flouring and
saw mills. It has three weekly papers and is an
important fruit and grain-shipping point. Popu-
lation (1880), 1,391; (1890), 1,881.

FAIRMOUNT, a town of Vermilion County, on
the Wabash Railway, 13 miles west-southwest
from Danville. The town has a brick and tile
factory, although the industrial interests are
chiefly agricultural. One weekly paper is pub-
lished here. Population (1880), o03; (1890), 649.

FALLOWS, (Rt. Rev.) Samuel, Bishop of Re
formed Protestant Episcopal Church, was born at
Pendleton, near Manchester, England, Dec. 13,
1835; removed with his parents to Wisconsin in
1848, and graduated from the State University
there in 18.59, during a part of his university
course serving as pastor of a Methodist Episcopal
church at Madison; was next Vice-President of
Gainesville University till 1861, when he was
ordained to the Methodist ministry and became
pastor of a church at Oshkosh. The following
year he was appointed Chaplain of tlie Thirty-



second Wisconsin Volunteers, but later assisted
in organizing the Fortieth Wisconsin, of which
he became Colonel, in 1865 being brevetted Briga-
dier-General. On his return to civil life he
became a pastor in Milwaukee; was appointed
State Superintendent of Public Instruction for
Wisconsin to fill a vacancy, in 1871, and was twice
re-elected. In 1874 he was elected President of
the Illinois Wesleyan University at Bloomington,
111., remaining two years; in 1875 imited with the
Reformed Episcopal Church, soon after became
Rector of St. Paul's Church in Chicago, and was
elected a Bishop in 1876, also assuming the
editorship of "The Appeal." the organ of the
church. He served as Regent of the University
of Wisconsin (1864-74), and for several years has
been one of the Trustees of the Illinois State
Reform School at Pontiac. He is the author of
two or three volumes, one of them being a "Sup-
plementary Dictionary," published in 1884.
Bishop Fallows has had supervision of Reformed
Episcopal Church work in the West and North-
west for several years ; has also served as Chaplain
of the Grand Army of the Republic for the
Department of Illinois and of the Loyal Legion,
and was Chairman of the General Committee of
the Educational Congress during the World's
Columbian Exposition of 1893.

FARINA, a town of Fayette County, on the
Chicago Division of the Illinois Central Railroad,
19 miles northeast of Centralia. Agriculture and
fruit-growing constitute the chief business of the
section ; the town has two newspapers. Popula-
tion (1880), 318; (1890), 618.

FARMER CITY, a city of De Witt County, 25
miles southeast of Bloomington, at the junction
of the Springfield division of the Illinois Central
and the Peoria division of the Cleveland, Cincin-
nati, Chicago & St. Louis Railways. It is a
trading center for a rich agricultural and stock-
raising district, especially noted for rearing finely
bred horses. The city has banks, two news-
papers, churches of four denominations and good
schools, including a high school. Population
(1880), 1.289; (1890), 1,367; (1899, estimated), 1,600.

FARMERS' INSTITUTE, an organization
created by an act, approved June 24, 1895, de-
signed to encourage practical education among
farmers, and to assist in developing the agricul-
tural resources of the State. Its membership
consists of three delegates from each county in
the State, elected annually by the Farmers'
Institute in such county. Its affairs are managed
by a Board of Directors constituted as follows:
Tlie Superintendent of Public Instruction, the



162



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



■ of Agriculture in the University of Illi-
nois, and the Presidents of the State Board of
Agriculture, Dairymen's Association and Horti-
cultural Society, ex-officio, with one member from
each Congressional District, chosen by the dele-
gates from the district at the annual meeting of
the organization. Annual meetings (between
Oct. 1 and March 1) are required to be held,
which shall continue in session for lyt less than
three days. The topics for discussion are the
cultivation of crops, the care and breeding of
domestic animals, dairy husbandry, horticulture,
farm drainage, improvement of highways and
general farm management. The reports of the
annual meetings are printed by the State to the
number of 10,000, one- half of the edition being
placed at the disposal of the Institute. Suitable
quarters for the officers of the organization are
provided in the State capitol.

FARMISGTON, a town and railroad center in
Fulton County, 13 miles north of Canton and 23
miles west of Peoria. Coal is extensively mined
here: there are also brick and tile factories, a
foundry, two steam flour-mills and a cigar
manufactory. It is a large shipping point for
grain and live-stock. The town has two banks
and two newspapers, five churches and a graded
school. Population (1880), 1,111; (1890), 1,375.

FARNSWORTH, Elon John, soldier, was born
at Green Oak, Livingston County, Mich., in 1837.
After completing a course in the public schools,
he entered the University of Michigan, but left
college at the end of his freshman year (1858) to
serve in the Quartermaster's department of the
army in the Utah expedition. At the expiration
of his term of service he became a buffalo hunter
and a carrier of mails between the haunts of
civilization and the then newly-discovered mines
at Pike's Peak. Returning to IlUnois, he was
commissioned (1861) Assistant Quartermaster of
the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, of which his uncle
was Colonel. (See Farnsworth, John Franklin. )
He soon rose to a captaincy, distinguishing him-
self in the battles of the Peninsula. In May,
1863, he was appointed aid-de-camp to General
Pleasantou, and, on June 29, 1863, was made a
Brigadier-General. Four days later he was killed,
while gallantly leading a charge at Gettysburg.

FARNSWORTH, John FraiikUn, soldier and
former Congressman, was born at Eaton. Canada
East, March 37, 1820; removed to Micliigau in
1834, and later to Illinois, settling in Kane
County, where he practiced law for many years,
making his home at St. Charles. He was elected
to Congress in 1856, and re-elected in 1858. In



September of 1861, he w;as commissioned Colonel
of the Eighth Illinois Cavalry Volunteers, and
was brevetted Brigadier-General in November,
1863, but resigned, March 4, 1863, to take his seat
in Congress to which he had been elected the
November previous, by successive re-elections
serving from 1863 to 1873. The latter years of
his life were spent in Washington, where he died,
July 14, 1897.

FARWELL, Charles Benjamin, merchant and
United States Senator, was born at Painted Post,
N. Y., July 1, 1833; removed to Illinois in 1838,
and, for six years, was employed in surveying
and farming. In 1844 he engaged in the real
estate business and in banking, at Chicago. He
was elected County Clerk in 1853, and re-elected
in 1857. Later he entered into commerce, becom-
ing a partner with his brother, John Villiers, in
the firm of J. "V. Farwell & Co. He was a mem-
ber of the State Board of Equalization in 1867 ;
Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Cook
County in 1868 ; and National Bank Examiner in
1869. In 1870 he was elected to Congress as a
Republican, was re-elected in 1873, but was
defeated in 1874, after a contest for the seat which
was carried into tlie House at Washington.
Again, in 1880, he was returned to Congress,



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 33 of 207)