Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 35 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 35 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cation of "The Illinois Corrector, " at Edwards-



ville. Two years later he returned to Kaskaskia
and resumed the publication of "The Recorder,'"
but, in 1833, was induced to remove his office to
Belleville, where he commenced tlie publication
of "The St. Clair Gazette," followed by "The St.
Clair Mercury," both of which had a brief exist-
ence. About 1843 he returned to the newspaper
business as publisher of "The Belleville Advo-
cate," which he continued for a number of years.
He died, at Belleville, in 1874, leaving two sons
who have been prominently identified with the
history of journalism in Soutliern Illinois, at
Belleville and elsewhere.

FLETCHER, Job, pioneer and early legislator,
was born in "Virginia, in 1793, removed to Sanga-
mon County, 111. , in 1819 ; was elected Represent-
ative in 1826, and, in 1834, to the State Senate,
serving in the latter body six years. He was one
of the famous "Long Nine" which represented
Sangamon County in the Tenth General Assem-
bly. Mr. Fletcher was again a member of the
House in 1844-45. Died, in Sangamon County,
in 1872.

FLORA, a city in Harter Township, Clay
County, on the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern
Railroad, 95 miles east of St. Louis, and 108 miles
south-southeast of Springfield. It has a barrel
factory, flouring mills, cliair factories, a National
bank, a savings bank, six churches and a weekly
newspaper. Population (1880), 1,494; (1890),
1,695.

FLO'WTIR, George, early English colonist, was
born in Hertfordshire, England, about 1780;
came to the United States in 1817, and was associ-
ated with Morris Birkbeck in founding the
"English Settlement" at Albion, Edwards
County. 111. Being in affluent circumstances, he
built an elegant mansion and stocked an exten-
sive farm with blooded animals from England
and other parts of Europe, but met with reverses
which dissipated his wealth. In common with
Mr. Birkbeck, he was one of the determined
opponents of the attempt to establish slavery in
Illinois in 1824, and did much to defeat that
measure. He and his wife died on the same day
(Jan. 15, 1862), while on a visit to a daugliter at
Grayville, 111. A book written by him — "Hi.story
of the Englisli Settlement in Edwards County,
111.'" — and published in 1882, is a valuable contri-
bution to the early history of that portion of the
State.— Edward Fordhanis (Flower), .son of the
preceding, was born in England. Jan. 31, 1805,
but came with his father to Illinois in early life;
later he returned to England and spent nearly
half a century at Stratford-on Avon, wliere he



168



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



was four times chosen Mayor of tliat borougli
and entertained many visitors from the United
States to Shakespeare's birthplace. Died, March
26, 1883.

FOBES, Pliilena, educator, born in Onondaga
County, N. Y., Sept. 10, 1811; was educated at
Albany and at Cortland Seminary, Rochester,
N. Y. ; in 1838 became a teacher in Monticello
Female Seminary, then newly established at
Godfrey, 111., under Rev. Theron Baldwin, Prin-
cipal. On the retirement of Mr. Baldwin in 1843,
Miss Fobes succeeded to the principalsliip,
remaining until 1866, when she retired. For
some years she resided at Rochester, N. Y'., and
New Haven, Conn., but, in 1886, she removed to
Philadelphia, where she afterwards made her
home, notwithstanding her advanced age, main-
taining a lively interest in educational and
benevolent enterprises. Miss Fobes died at Phila-
delphia, Nov. 8, 1898, and was buried at New
Haven, Conn.

FOLEY, Thomas, Roman Catholic Bishop, born
in Baltimore, Md., in 1823; was ordained a priest
in 1846, and, two years later, was appointed Chan-
cellor of the Diocese, being made Vicar-General
in 1867. He was nominated Coadjutor Bishop of
the Cliicago Diocese in 1869 (Bishop Duggan hav-
ing become insane), and, in 1870, was consecrated
Bisljop. His administration of diocesan work was
prudent and eminently successful. As a man
and citizen he won the respect of all creeds and
classes alike, the State Legislature adopting
resolutions of respect and regret upon learning
of his death, which occurred at Baltimore, in
1879.

FORBES, Stephen Van Rensselaer, pioneer
teacher, was born at Windham, Vt., July 20, 1797;
in his youth acquired a knowledge of surveying,
and, having removed to Newburg (now South
Cleveland), Ohio, began teaching. In 1829 he
came west to Chicago, and having joined a sur-
veying party, went to Louisiana, returning in
the following year to Chicago, which then con-
tained only three white families outside of Fort
Dearborn. Having been joined by his wife, he
took up his abode in what was called the "sut-
ler's house" connected with Fort Dearborn; was
appointed one of the ttrst Justices of the Peace,
and opened the first school ever taught in Chi-
cago, all but three of his pupils being either
half-breeds or Indians. In 1833 he was elected, as
a Whig, the first Slieriff of Cook County ; later
preempted 160 acres of land where Riverside
now stands, subsequently becoming owner of
some 1,800 acres, much of which he sold, about



1853, to Dr. W. B. Egan at §20 per acre. In
1849, having been seized with the "gold fever,"
Mr. Forbes joined in the overland migration to
California, but, not being successful, returned
two years later by way of the Isthmus, and, hav-
ing sold his possessions in Cook County, took up
his abode at Newburg, Ohio, and resumed his
occupation as a surveyor. About 1878 he again
returned to Chicago, but survived only a short
time, dying Feb. 17, 1879.

FORD, Thomas, early lawyer, jurist and Gov-
ernor, was born in Uniontown, Pa., and, in boy-
hood, accompanied his mother (then a widow) to
Missouri, in 1804. The family soon after located
in Monroe County, 111, Largely through the
efforts and aid of his half-brother, George
Forquer, he obtained a professional education,
became a successful lawyer, and, early in life,
entered the field of politics. He served as a
Judge of the Circuit Court for the northern part
of the State from 1835 to 1837, and was again
commissioned a Circuit Judge for the Galena
circuit in 1839; in 1841 was elevated to the bench
of the State Supreme Com-t, but resigned the
following year to accept the nomination of his
party (the Democratic) for Governor. He was
regarded as upright in his general policy, but he
had a number of embarrassing questions to deal
with during his administration, one of these
being the Mormon troubles, in which he failed to
receive the support of his own party. He was
author of a valuable "History of Illinois," (pub-
lished posthumously). He died, at Peoria, in
greatly reduced circumstances, Nov. 3, 1850. The
State Legislature of 1895 took steps to erect a
monument over his grave.

FORD COUNTY, lies northeast of Springfield,
was organized in 1859, being cut off from Vermil-
ion. It is shaped like an inverted "T," and has
an area of 490 square miles; population (1890),
17,035. The first County Judge was David Pat-
ton, and David Davis (afterwards of the United
States Supreme Court) presided over the first
Circuit Court. The surface of the county is level
and the soil fertile, consisting of a loam from one
to five feet in depth. There is little timber, nor
is there any out-cropping of stone. The county
is named in honor of Governor Ford. The county-
seat is Paxton, which had a population, in 1890, of
2, 187. Gibson City is a railroad center, and has a
population of 1,800.

FORM.\N, (Col.) Ferris, lawyer and soldier,
was born in Tioga County, N. Y., August 25,
1811 ; graduated at Union College in 1833, studied
law and was admitted to the bar in New York in



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



1835. and in the United States Supreme Court in
1836; tlie latter year came west and settled at
Vandalia, 111., wliere he began practice; in 1844
was elected to the State Senate for the district
composed of Fayette, Effingham, Clay and Rich-
land Counties, serving two years; before the
expiration of his term (1846) enlisted for the
Mexican War, and was conmiissioned Colonel of
the Third Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and,
after participating in a number of the most
important engagements of the campaign, was
mustered out at New Orleans, in May, 1847. Re-
turning from the Me.xican War, he brought with
him and presented to the State of Illinois a
six-poimd cannon, which liad been captm-ed by
Illinois troops on the battlefieltl of Cerro Gordo,
and is now in the State Arsenal at Springfield.
In 1848 Colonel Forman was chosen Presidential
Elector for the State-at-large on the Democratic
ticket ; in 1849 went to California, where he prac-
ticed his profession until 18.)3, meanwhile serving
as Postmaster of Sacramento City by appointment
of President Pierce, and later as Secretary of
State during the administration of Gov. John B.
Weller (1858-60); in 1861 oificiated, by appoint-
ment of the California Legislature, as Commis-
sioner ou the part of the State in fixing the
boundary between California and the Territory
of Utah. After the discharge of this duty, he
was offered the colonelcy of the Fourth California
Volunteer Infantry, whicli he accepted, serving
about twenty months, when he resigned. In
1866 he resumed his residence at Vandalia, and
served as a Delegate for Fayette and Effingham
Counties in the Constitutional Convention of
1869-70, also for several years thereafter held the
office of State's Attorney for Fayette County.
Later he returned to California, and, at the
latest date, was a resident of Stockton, in that
State.

PORMAN, William S., ex-Congressman, was
born at Natchez, Miss. , Jan. 20, 1847. When he
was four years old, his father's family removed to
Illinois, settling in Washington County, where
lie has lived ever since. By profession he is a
lawyer, and he takes a deep interest in politics,
local. State and National. He represented his
Senatorial District in the State Senate in the
Thirty-fourth and Thirty-fifth General Assem-
blies, and, in 1888, was elected, as a Democrat, >to
repre.sent the Eighteenth Illinois District in the
Fifty-first Congress, being re-elected in 1890, and
again in '92, but was defeated in 1894 for renomi-
natiou by John J. Higgins. who was defeated at
the election of the same year by Everett J. Mur-



phy. In 1896 Mr. Forman was candidate of the
■Gold Democracy" for Governor of Illinois.
receivini; S, lOlt votes.

F()R(JI:E1{, (ieorgre, early State officer, was
born near Brownsville, Pa., in 1794 — was the son
of a Revolutionary soldier, and older half-brother
of Gov. Thomas Ford. He settled, with his
motlier (then a widow), at New Design, 111., in
1804. After learning, and, for several years,
following the carpenter's trade at St. Louis, he
returned to Illinois and purchased the tract
whereon Waterloo now stands. Subsequently he
projected the town of Bridgewater, on the Mis-
sissippi. For a time he was a partner in trade of
Daniel P. Cook. Being unsuccessful in business,
he took up the study of law, in whicli he attained
marked success. In 1824 he was elected to repre-
sent Monroe County in the House of Represent-
atives, but resigned in January of the following
year to accept tlie position of Secretary of State,
to which he was appointed by Governor Coles,
as successor to Morris Birkbeck, whom the
Senate had refused to conlirm. One ground for
the friendship between him and Coles, no doubt,
was the fact that they had been united in their
opposition to the scheme to make Illinois a slave
State. In 1828 he was a candidate for Congress,
but was defeated by Josepli Duncan,' afterwards
Governor. At the close of the year he resigned
the office of Secretary of State, but, a few weeks
later (January, 1829), he was elected by the
Legislature Attorney-General. This position he
held until January, 1883, when lie resigned, ha\ -
ing, as it appears, at the previous election, been
chosen State Senator from Sangamon County,
serving in the Eighth and Ninth General Assem-
blies. Before the close of his term as Senator
(1835). lie received the appointment of Register
of the Land Office at Springfield, which appears
to have been the last office held by him, as he
died, at Cincinnati, in 1837. Mr. Forquer was a
man of recognized ability and influence, an elo-
quent orator and capable writer, but, in common
with some of the ablest lawyers of that time,
seems to have been much embarrassed by the
smallness of his income, in spite of his ability
and the fact that he was almost continually in
office.

FORREST, a village in Livingston County, at
the intersection of the Toledo, Peoria & Western
and the Wabash Railways, 75 miles east of Peoria
and 16 miles southeast of Pontiac. Considerable
grain is shipped from this point to the Chicagi >
market. The village has several churches and a
graded school. Population (1880|, 375, (1890), 1.021.



170



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



FORREST, Joseph K. C, journalist, was born
in Cork, Ireland, Nov. 26, 1820 ; came to Chicago
in 1840, soon after securing employment as a
writer on "The Evening Journal,"' and, later on,
"The Gem of tlie Prairies," the predecessor of
"The Tribune," being associated with the latter
at the date of its establishment, in June, 1847.
During the early years of his residence in Chi-
cago, Mr. Forrest spent some time as a teacher.
On retiring from "The Tribune," he became the
a,s.sociate of John Wentworth in the management
of "The Chicago Democrat," a relation whieli
was broken up liy the consolidation of the latter
with "The Tribune," in 1861. He then became
the Springfield correspondent of "The Tribune, "
also holding a position on the staff of Governor
Yates, and still later represented "The St. Louis
Democrat" and "Chicago Times," as Washington
correspondent ; assisted in founding "The Chicago
Republican" (now "Inter Ocean"), in 186,5, and,
some years later, became a leading writer upon
the same. He served one term as Clerk of the
city of Chicago, but, in his later years, and up to
the period of liis death, was a leading contributor
to the columns of "The Chicago Evening News"
over the signatures of "An Old Timer" and "Now
or Never." Died, in Chicago. June 33, 1896.

FORRESTOJi, a village in Ogle County, the
terminus of the Chicago and Iowa brancli of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and
l)oint of intersection of the Illinois Central and
the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railways; 120
miles west by north from Chicago, and 12 miles
south of Freeport. It was founded in 18.'J4. incor-
porated by special charter in 1868, and, under the
general law, in 1888. Farming and stock-raising
are the principal industries in the vicinity, and a
creamery is located here. The village has a bank,
seven churches, a graded school, and a weekly
newspaper. Population (1880), 1,108; (1890), 1,118.

FORSTTHE, Albert P., ex Congressman, was
born at New Richmond, Ohio, May 24, 1830;
received his early education in the common
schools, and at Asbury University. He was
reared upon a farm and followed farming as his
life work. During the War of the Rebellion he
served in the Union army as Lieutenant. In
politics he early became an ardent Nationalist,
and was chosen President of the Illinois State
Grange of the Patrons of Industry, in December,
187.'"), and again in January, 1878. In 1878 he was
elected to Congress as a Nationalist, but, in 1880,
though receiving the nominations of the com-
bined Republican and Greenback parties, was
defeated by Samuel W. Moulton, Democrat.



FORT, Greenbury L., soldier ai
man, was born in Ohio, Oct. 17, 1825, and, in 1834,
removed with his parents to Illinois. In 1850 he
was elected Sheriff of Putnam County ; in 1852,
Clerk of the Circuit Court, and, liaving mean-
while been admitted to the bar at Lacon, became
County Judge in 1857, serving until 1861. In
April of the latter year he enli.sted under the first
call for troops, by re-enlistments serving till
March 24, 1866. Beginning as Quartermaster of
his regiment, he served as Chief Quartermaster of
the Fifteenth Army Corps on the "March to the
Sea," and was mustered out with the rank of
Colonel and Brevet Brigadier-General. On his
return from the field, he was elected to the State
Senate, serving in the Twenty-fifth and Twenty-
sixth General Assemblies, and, from 1873 to 1881,
as Representative in Congress. He died, at
Lacon, June 13, 1883.

FORT CHARTRES, a strong fortification
erected by the Frencli in 1718, on the American
Bottom, 16 miles northwest from Kaskaskia.
The soil on which it stood was alluvial, and the
limestone of which its walls were built was
quarried from an adjacent bluff. In form it was
an irregular quadrangle, surrounded on three
sides by a wall two feet two inches thick, and on
the fourth by a ravine, which, during the spring-
time, was full of water. During the period of
French ascendency in Illinois, Fort Chartres was
the seat of government. About four miles east
soon sprang up the village of Prairie du Rocher
(or Rock Prairie). .(See Prairie dii Rocher.) At
tlie outbreak of the French and Indian War
(1756), the original fortification was repaired and
virtually rebuilt. Its cost at that time is esti-
mated to have amounted to l.DOO.OdO French
crowns. After tlie occupation of Illinois by the
British, Fort Chartres still remained the seat of
government mitil 1772, when one side of the
fortification was washed away by a freshet, and
headquarters were transferred to Kaskaskia.
The first common law court ever held in the Mis-
sissippi Valley was established here, in 1768, by
the order of Colonel Wilkins of the English
army. The ruins of the old fort, situated in the
northwest corner of Randolph County, once con-
stituted an object of no little interest to anti-
quarians, but the site has disappeared diu-ing the
past generation by the encroachments of the
Mississippi.

FORT DEARBORN, the name of a United
States military post, established at the mouth of
the Chicago River in 1803 or 1804, on a tract of
land six miles square conveyed by the Indians in




;arlv historic scenes, Chicago.







' - ; it,f-'¥W: 111, 11 ii M iiB iiiiirt^.. R



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 35 of 207)