Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 4 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 4 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Alexander, Union, Jackson, Franklin, Perry,
Randolph, Monroe, Washington, St. Clair, Clin-
ton, Bond, Madison, Macoupin; Second — White,
Hamilton, Jefferson, Wayne, Edwards, Wabash,
Clay, Marion, Lawrence, Fayette, Montgomery,
Shelby, Vermilion, Edgar, Coles, Clark, Craw-
ford; Third — Greene, Morgan, Sangamon,
Macon, Tazewell, McLean, Cook, Henry, La
Salle, Putnam, Peoria, Knox, Jo Daviess, Mercer,
McDonough, Warren, Fulton, Hancock, Pike,
Schuyler, Adams, Calhoun.

The reapportionment following the census of
1840 was made by Act of March 1, 1843, and the
first election of Representatives thereunder
occurred on the first Monday of the following
August. Forty-one new counties had been cre-
ated (making ninety-six in all) and the number
of districts was increased to seven as follows;
First — Alexander, Union, Jackson, Monroe,
Perry, Randolph, St. Clair. Bond, Washington,
Madison; Second — Johnson, Pope, Hardin,
Williamson, Gallatin, Franklin, White, Wayne,
Hamilton, Wabash. Massac, Jefferson, Edwards.
Marion ; Third — Lawrence, Richland, Jasper,
Fayette, Crawford, Effingham, Christian, Mont-
gomery, Shelby, Moultrie, Coles, Clark, Clay,
Edgar, Piatt. Macon. De Witt; Fourth— Lake,



McHenry, Boone, Cook. Kane, De Kalb, Du Page,
Kendall, Will, Grundy, La Salle, Iroquois,
Livingston, Champaign, Vermilion, McLean,
Bureau; Fifth — Greene, Jersey, Calhoun, Pike,
Adams. Marquette (a part of Adams never fully
organized). Brown, Schuyler, Fulton, Peoria,
Macoupin; Sixth ^^ Jo Daviess, Stephenson,
Winnebago, Carroll, Ogle, Whiteside, Henry,
Lee, Rock Island, Stark, Mercer, Henderson,
Warren, Knox, McDonough, Hancock; Seventh
— Putnam, Marshall, Woodford, Cass, Tazewell,
Mason, Menard, Scott, Morgan, Logan, Sangamon.
The next Congressional apportionment (August
22, 1852) divided the State into nine districts, as
follows — the first election under it being held the
following November: First — Lake, McHenry,
Boone, Winnebago, Stephenson, Jo Daviess, Car-
roll, Ogle ; Second — Cook, Du Page, Kane, De
Kalb, Lee, Whiteside, Rock Island; Third —
Will, Kendall, Grundy, Livingston, La Salle,
Putnam, Bureau, Vermilion, Iroquois, Cham-
paign, McLean, De Witt; Fourth — Fulton.
Peoria, Knox, Henry, Stark, Warren, Mercer,
Mai-shall, Mason, Woodford, Tazewell: Fifth
— Adams, Calhoun, Brown, Schuyler, Pike, Mc-
Donough, Hancock, Henderson ; Sixth — Morgan,
Scott, Sangamon, Greene, Macoupin, Montgom-
ery, Shelby, Christian, Cass. Menard, Jersey;
Seventh — Logan, Macon, Piatt, Coles, Edgar,
Moultrie, Cumberland, Crawford, Clark, Effing-
ham, Jasper, Clay, Lawrence. Richland, Fayette ;
Ejglith — Randolph, Monroe, St. Clair, Bond,
Madison, Clinton, Washington, Jefferson, Mar-
ion; Ninth — Alexander, Pulaski, Massac, Union,
Johnson, Pope, Hardin, Gallatin, Saline, Jack-
son, Perry, Franklin, Williamson, Hamilton,
Edwards, White, Wayne, Wabash.

The census of 1860 showed that Illinois was
entitled to fourteen Representatives, but through
an error the apportionment law of April 24, 1861,
created only thirteen districts. This was com-
pensated for by providing for the election of one
Congressman for the State-at-large. The districts
were as follows: First — Cook, Lake; Second —
McHenry, Boone, Winnebago, De Kalb, and
Kane; Third — Jo Daviess, Stephenson, White-
side, Carroll, Ogle, Lee; Fourth— Adams, Han-
cock, Warren, Mercer, Henderson, Rock Island ;
Fifth— Peoria, Knox, Stark, Marshall, Putnam,
Bureau. Henry; Sixth— La Salle, Grundy, Ken-
dall, Du Page. Will, Kankakee; Seventh —
Macon, Piatt, Champaign, Douglas, Moultrie,
Cumberland, Vermilion, Coles, Edgar, Iroquois,
Ford; Eighth— Sangamon, Logan, De Witt, Mc-
Lean, Tazewell, Woodford, Livingston; Ninth —



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



31



Fulton, Mason, Menard, Cass, Pike, McDonough,
Schuyler, Brown ; Tenth — Bond, Morgan, Cal-
houn, Macoupin, Scott, Jersey, Greene, Christian,
Montgomery, Shelby ; Eleventh — Marion, Fay-
ette, Richland, Jasper, Clay, Clark, Crawford,
Franklin, Lawrence, Hamilton, Effingham,
Wayne, Jeflferson; Twelfth— St. Clair, Madison,
Clinton, Monroe, Washington, Randolph;
Thirteenth — Alexander, Pulaski, Union, Perry,
Johnson, Williamson, Jackson, Massac, Pope,
Hardin, Gallatin, Saline, White, Edwards,



The next reapportionment was made July 1,
1873. The Act created nineteen districts, as fol-
lows: First — The first seven wards in Chicago
and thirteen towns in Cook County, with the
county of Du Page; Second — Wards Eighth to
Fifteenth (inclusive) in Chicago; Third — Wards
Sixteenth to Twentieth in Chicago, the remainder
of Cook County, and Lake County ; Fourth —
Kane, De Kalb, McHenry, Boone, and Winne-
bago; Fifth — Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Carroll,
Ogle, Whiteside; Sixth — Henry, Rock Island,
Putnam, Bureau, Lee; Seventh — La Salle, Ken-
dall, Grundy, Will ; Eighth — Kankakee, Iroquois,
Ford, Marshall, Livingston, Woodford ; Ninth —
Stark, Peoria, Knox. Fulton; Tenth — Mercer,
Henderson, Warren, McDonough, Hancock,
Schuyler; Eleventh — Adams, Brown, Calhoun,
Greene, Pike, Jersey ; Twelfth — Scott. Morgan,
Menard, Sangamon, Cass, Christian; Thirteenth —
Mason, Tazewell. McLean, Logan, De Witt ; Four-
teenth — Macon, Piatt, Champaign, Douglas, Coles,
Vermilion; Fifteenth — Edgar, Clark, Cumber-
land, Shelby, Moultrie, Effingham, Lawrence,
Jasper, Crawford; Sixteenth — Montgomery,
Fayette, Washington, Bond, Clinton, Blarion,
Clay ; Seventeenth — Macoupin, Madison, St.
Clair, Monroe ; Eighteenth — Randolpli, Perry,
Jackson, Union, Johnson. Williamson, Alex-
ander, Pope, Massac, Pulaski; Nineteenth —
Richland, Wayne, Edwards, White, Wabash,
Saline, Gallatin, Hardin, Jefferson, Franklin,
Hamilton.

In 1882 (by Act of April 39) the number of dis-
tricts was increased to twenty, and the bound-
aries determined as follows ; First — Wards First
to Fourth (inclusive) in Chicago and thirteen
towns in Cook County; Second — Wards 5th to
7th and part of 8th in Chicago; Third — Wards
0th to 14th and part of 8th in Chicago ; Fourth
— The remainder of the City of Chicago and of
the coimty of Cook; Fifth — Lake, McHenry,
Boone, Kane, and De Kalb ; Sixth— Winnebago,
Stephenson, Jo Daviess, Ogle, and Carroll;



Seventh — Lee, Whiteside, Henry, Bureau, Put-
nam; Eighth — La Salle, Kendall, Grundy, Du
Page, and Will ; Ninth — Kankakee, Iroquois,
Ford, Livingston, Woodford, Marshall; Tenth —
Peoria, Knox, Stark, Fulton ; Eleventh — Rock
Island, Mercer, Henderson, Warren, Hancock,
McDonough, Schuyler ; Twelfth — Cass, Brown,
Adams, Pike, Scott, Greene, Calhoun, Jersey;
Thirteenth — Tazewell, Mason, Menard, Sanga-
mon, Morgan, Christian; Fourteenth — McLean,
De Witt, Piatt, Macon, Logan ; Fifteenth —
Coles, Edgar, Douglas, Vermilion, Champaign;
Sixteenth — Cumberland, Clark, Jasper, Clay,
Crawford, Richland, Lawrence, Wayne, Edwards,
Wabash ; Seventeenth — JIacoupin, Montgomery,
Moultrie, Shelby, Effingham, Fayette; Eight-
eenth — Bond, Madison, St. Clair, Monroe, Wasli-
ington; Nineteenth — Marion, Clinton, Jefferson,
Saline, Franklin, Hamilton, White, Gallatin, Har-
din ; Twentieth — Perry, Randolph. Jackson,
Union, Williamson, Johnson, Alexander, Pope,
Pulaski, Massac.

The census of 1890 showed the State to be entit-
led to twenty -two Representatives. No reap-
portionment, liowever, was made until June,
1893, two members from the State-at-large being
elected in 1893. The existing twenty-two Con-
gressional districts are as follows; The first
seven districts comprise the counties of Cook and
Lake, the latter lying wholly in the Seventh dis-
trict; Eiglith — McHenry, De Kalb, Kane, Du
Page, Kendall, Grundy ; Ninth — Boone, Winne-
bago, Steplienson, Jo Daviess, Carroll, Ogle, Lee ;
Tenth — Whiteside, Rock Island, Mercer, Henry,
Stark, Knox; Eleventh — Bureau, La Salle,
Livingston, Woodford ; Twelfth — Will, Kanka-
kee, Iroquois, Vermilion ; Thirteentli — Ford. Mc-
Lean, DeWitt, Piatt, Champaign. Douglas; Four-
teentli — Putnam, Marshall, Peoria, Fulton,
Tazewell, Mason; Fifteenth— Henderson, War-
ren, Hancock, McDonougli, Adams, Brown,
Schuyler; Sixteentli — Cass, Morgan, Scott,
Pike, Greene, Macoupin, Calhoun, Jersey;
Seventeenth — Menard, Logan, Sangamon, Macon,
Christian ; Eighteenth — Madison, Montgomery,
Bond, Fayette, Shelby, Moultrie; Nineteenth —
Coles, Edgar, Clark, Cumbeiland, Effingham,
Jasper, Crawford, Richland, Lawrence; Twenti-
eth—Clay, Jefferson, Wayne, Hamilton, Etl-
wards, Wabash, Franklin, White, Gallatin,
Hardin; Twenty-first- Marion, Clinton, Wash-
ington, St, Clair. Monroe, Randolph, Perry;
Twentj'-second — Jackson, Union, Alexander.
Pulaski, Jolinson, Williamson, Saline, Pope,
(See *lso Representatives in Congress. )



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



ARCHER, William B., pioneer, was born in
Warren County, Ohio, in 1792, and taken to Ken-
tucky at an early day, where he remained until
1H17, when his family removed to Illinois, finally
settling in what is now Clark County. Although
pursuing the avocation of a farmer, he became
one of the most prominent and influential men in
that part of the State. On the organization of
Clark County in 1819, he was appointed the first
County and Circuit Clerk, resigning the former
ofiice in 1820 and the latter in 1832. In 1824 he
was elected to the lower branch of the General
Assembly, and two years later to the State
Senate, serving continuously in the latter eight
years. He was thus a Senator on the breaking
out of the Black Hawk War (1832), jn which he
served as a Captain of militia. In 1834 he was an
unsuccessful candidate for Lieutenant-Governor ;
was appointed by Governor Duncan, in 1835, a
member of the first Board of Commissioners of
the Illinois & Michigan Canal; in 1838 was
returned a second time to tlie House of Repre-
sentatives and re-elected in 1840 and '46 to the
same body. Two years later (1848) he was again
elected Circuit Clerk, remaining until 18.'i2, and
in 1854 was an Anti-Neln-aska Wliig candidate
for Congress in opposition to James C. Allen.
Although Allen received the certificate of elec-
tion. Archer contested his riglit to the seat, with
the result that Congress declared the seat vacant
and referred the question back to the people. In
a new election held in August, 1856, Archer was
defeated and Allen elected. He held no public
office of importance after this date, but in 1856
was a delegate to the first Republican National
Convention at Philadelphia, and in that body was
an enthusiastic supporter of Abraham Lincoln,
whose zealous friend and admirer he was, for the
office of Vice-President. He was also one of the
active promoters of various railroad enterprises
in that section of the State, especially the old
Chicago & Vincennes Road, the first projected
southward from the City of Chicago. His con-
nection with the Illinois & Michigan Canal was
the means of giving his name to Archer Avenvie,
a somewhat famous thoroughfare in Chicago.
He was of tall stature and gi-eat energy of char-
acter, with a tendency to enthusiasm that com-
municated itself to others. A local history has
said of him that "he did more for Clark County
than any man in his day or since," although "no
consideration, pecuniary or otherwise, was ever
given him for his services.'" Colonel Archer was
one of the founders of Marshall, the county -seat
of Clark County, Governor Duncan being associ-



ated with him in the ownership of the land on
which the town was laid out. His death oc-
curred in Clark County, August 9, 1870, at the
age of 78 years.

ARCOLA, an incorporated city in Douglas
County, 158 miles south of Chicago, at the inter-
section of the Illinois Central and the Paris &
Decatur Railways. Its principal manufacturing
plants are a broom factory and brick and tile
works. It also has manufactures of flour, car-
riages, and agricultural implements. Areola is
lighted by electricity, and contains a handsome
city hall, nine churches, a high-school and two
newspapers. Population (1880), 1,515; (1890), 1,733.

ARENZ, Francis A., pioneer, was born at
Blankenberg, in the Province of the Rhein,
Prussia, Oct. 31, 1800; obtained a good education
and, while a young man, engaged in mercantile
business in his native country. In 1827 lie came
to the United States and, after .spending two
years in Kentucky, in 1829 went to Galena, where
he was engaged for a short time in the lead
trade. He took an early opportunity to become
naturalized, and coming to Beardstown a few
months later, went into merchandising and real
estate; also became a contractor for furnishing
supplies to the State troops during the Black Hawk
War, Beardstown being at the time a rendezvous
and shipping point. In 1834 he began the publi-
cation of "The Beardstown Chronicle and Illinois
Bounty Land Register," and was the projector of
the Beardstown & Sangamon Canal, extending
from the Illinois River at Beardstown to Miller's
Ferry on the Sangamon, for which he secured a
special charter from the Legislature in 1836. He
had a survey of the line made, but the hard times
prevented the beginning of the work and it was
finally abandoned. Retiring from the mercantile
business in 1835, he located on a farm six miles
southeast of Beardstown, but in 1839 removed to
a tract of land near the Morgan County line
which he had bought in 1833, and on which the
present village of Arenzville now stands. This
became the center of a thrifty agricultural com-
munity composed largely of Germans, among
whom he exercised a large influence. Resuming
the mercantile business here, he continued it
until about 1853, when he sold out a considerable
part of his possessions. An ardent Whig, he was
elected as such to the lower branch of the Four-
teenth General Assembly (1844) from Morgan
County, and during the following session suc-
ceeded in securing the passage of an act by which
a strip of territory three miles wide in the north-
ern part of Morgan County, including the village



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



of Arenzville, and whidh had been in dispute,
was transferred by vote of the citizens to Cass
County. In 1852 Mr. Arenz visited his native
land, by appointment of President Fillmore, as
bearer of dispatches to the American legations at
Berlin and "Vienna. He was one of the founders
of the Illinois State Agricultural Society of 18.53,
and served as the Vice-President for liis district
until his death, and was also the founder and
President of the Cass County Agricultural Soci-
ety. Died, April 2, 18.56.

ARLINGTON, a village of Bureau County, on
the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, 92
miles west of Chicago. Population (1880), 447;
(1890), 436.

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS (formerly Dunton), a
village of Cook County, on the Chicago & North-
western Railway, 22 miles northwest of Chicago ;
is in a dairying district and has several cheese
factories, besides a sewing machine factory,
hotels and churches, a graded school, a bank and
one newspaper. Population (1880), 995; (1890),
1,434.

ARMOUR, PhiUp Danforth, packer. Board of
Trade operator and capitalist, was born at Stock-
bridge, Madison County, N. Y., May 16, 1832.
After receiving the benefits of .sucli education as
the village academy afforded, in 1852 he set out
across the Plains to California, where he re-
mained four years, achieving only moderate suc-
cess as a miner. Returning east in 1856, he soon
after embarked in the commission business in
Milwaukee, continuing until 1863, when he
formed a partnership with Mr. John Plankinton
in the meat-packing business. Later, in conjunc-
tion with his brothers — H. O. Armour liaving
already biult up an extensive grain commission
trade in Chicago — he organized the extensive
packing and conmiission firm of Armour &



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 4 of 207)