Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 42 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 42 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


quently found in alternate layers, and contain
more or less organic matter from decompcsed
animal and vegetable substances. When suffi-
ciently elevated, they constitute the richest and
most productive farming lands in the State.

GEORGETOWN, a village of Vermilion County,
on the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis
Eailway, 10 miles south of Danville. It has a
bank, telegraph and express office and a news-
paper. Population (1880), 741 ; (1890), 663.

GERMAN EVANGELICAL SCHOOL, located at
Addison, Du Page County ; incorporated in 1852 ;
has a faculty of three instructors and reports 187
pupils for 1897-98, with a property valuation of
89,600.

GERMANTOWN, a village of Vermilion County,
and suburb of Danville ; is the center of a coal-
mining district. Population (1880), 540; (1890),
1.178.

GEST, Willlaiii H., lawyer and ex-Congress-
man, was born at Jacksonville, 111., Jan. 7, 1838.
When but four years old his parents removed to
Rock Island, where he has since resided. He
graduated from Williams College in 1860, was
admitted to the bar in 1862, and has always been
actively engaged in practice. In 1886 he was
elected to Congress by the Republicans of the
Eleventh Illinois District, and was re-elected in
1888, but in 1890 was defeated by Benjamin T.
Cable, Democrat.

GIBAULT, Pierre, a French priest, supposed to
have been born at New Madrid in what is now
Southeastern Missouri, early in the eighteenth
century; was Vicar-General at Kaskaskia, with
ecclesiastical jurisdiction over the churches at
Cahokia, St. Genevieve and adjacent points, at
the time of the capture of Kaskaskia by Col.
George Rogers Clark in 1778, and rendered Clark
important aid in conciliating the French citizens
of Illinois. He also made a visit to Vincennes and
induced the people there to take the oath of allegi-
ance to tlie new government. He even advanced
means to aid Clark's destitute troops, but beyond
a formal vote of thanks by the Virginia Legisla-
ture, he does not appear to have received any
recompense. Governor St. Clair, in a report to
Thomas Jefferson, then Secretary of State, dwelt
impressively upon the value of Father Gibaulfs
services and sacrifices, and Judge Law said of
him, "Next to Clark and (Francis) Vigo, the
United States are indebted more to Father
Gibault for the accession of the States comprised



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



201



in wliat was tlie original Northwest Territory
than to any other man. " The date and place of
his death are unknown.

(;iBSON CITY, a town in Ford County, situ-
ated on the Lake Erie & Western Railroad,
S4 miles east of Bloomington, and at the
intersection of the Wabash Railroad and the
Springfield Division of the Illinois Central. The
principal mechanical industries are iron works,
canning works and a tile factory. It has two
banks, two newspapers (one publishing a daily
edition), nine churches and an academy. Popu-
lation (1880), 1.260: (1890), 1,803.

GILL, Joseph B., Lieutenant-Governor (1893-
97), was born on a farm near Marion, Williamson
County, 111., Feb. 17, 18G2. In 1868 his father
settled at Murphysboro, where Mr. Gill still
makes his home. His academic education was
received at the school of the Christian Brothers,
in St. Louis, and at the Southern Illinois Normal
University, Carbondale. In 1886 he graduated
from the Law Department of the Michigan State
University, at Ann Arbor. Returning home he
purchased an interest in "The Murphysboro Inde-
pendent," which paper he conducted and edited
up to Januarj', 1893. In 1888 he was elected to
the lower house of the Legislature and re-elected
in 1890. As a legislator he was prominent as a
champion of the labor interest. In 1893 he was
nominated and elected Lieutenant-Governor on
the Democratic ticket, serving from January.
1893, to "97.

GILLESPIE, a village of Macoupin County, on
the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis
Railway, 10 miles southwest of Litchfield. This
is an agricultural and stock-growing region ; the
town has a bank and a newspaper. Population
(1880), 432; (1890), 948.

GILLESPIE, Joseph, lawyer and Judge, was
born in New York City, August 33, 1809, of Irish
parents, who removed to Illinois in 1819, settling
on a farm near Edwardsville. After coming to
Illinois, at 10 years, he did not attend school over
two months. In 1827 he went to the lead mines
at Galena, remaining until 1829. In 1831, at the
in\-itation of Cyrus Edwards, he began the study
of law, and was admitted to tlie bar in 1837,
having been elected Probate Judge in 1836. He
also served during two campaigns (1831 and '32)
in the Black Hawk War. He was a Whig in
politics and a warm personal friend of Abraham
Lincoln. In 1840 he was elected to the lower
house of the Legislature, serving one term, and
was a member of the State Senate from 1847 to
1859. In 1853 he received the few votes of the



Whig members of the Legislature for United States
Senator, in opposition to Stephen A. Douglas,
and, in 1860, presided over the second Republican
State Convention at Decatur, at whicli elements
were set in motion which resulted in the nomi-
nation of Abraham Lincoln for the Presidency
for the first time, a week later. In 1861 he was
elected Judge of the Twenty-fourth Judicial
Circuit, and re-elected in 1867 for a second term,
serving until 1873. Died, at his home at Edwards-
ville, Jan. 7, 188.5.

GILLETT, John Dean, agriculturist and stock-
man, was born in Connecticut, April 28, 1819:
spent several years of his youth in Georgia, but,
in 1838, came to Illinois by way of St. Louis,
finally reaching "Bald Knob," in Logan County,
where an uncle of the same name resided. Here
he went to work, and, by frugality and judicious
investments, finally acquired a large body of
choice lands, adding to his agricultural operations
the rearing and feeding of stock for the Chicago
and foreign markets. In this he was remarkably
successful. In his later years he was President
of a National Bank at Lincoln. At the time of
liis death, August 27, 1888, he was the owner of
16, .500 acres of improved lands in the vicinitj- of
Elkhart, Logan County, besides large herds of
fine stock, both cattle and Iiorses. He left a large
family, one of his daughters being the wife of
the late .Senator Richard J. Oglesbj .

GILLETT, PhlUp Goode, specialist and edu-
cator, born in Madison, Ind., March 24, 1833: was
educated at Asbury University, Greencastle, Ind..
graduating in 1853, and the same year became an
instructor in the Institution for the Education of
the Deaf and Dumb in that State. In 1856 he
became Principal of the Illinois Institution for
tlie Education of the Deaf and Dumb at Jackson-
ville, remaining there until 1893, when lie
resigned. Thereafter, for some years, he was
President of the Association for the Promotion of
Speech by the Deaf, with headquarters in Wash-
ington, D. C. but later returned to Jacksonville,
where lie has since been living in retirement.

GILLHAM, Daniel B., agriculturist and legis-
lator, was born at a place now called Wanda, in
Madison County, 111., April 29, 1826— his fatlier
being a farmer and itinerant Methodist preacher,
who belonged to one of the pioneer families in
the American Bottom at an early day. The sub-
ject of this sketch was educated in the common
schools and at McKendree College, but did not
graduate from the latter. In his early life he
followed the vocation of a farmer and stock-
grower in one of the most prosperous and liiglily



202



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



cultivated portions of the American Bottom, a
few miles below Alton, but, in 1872, removed to
Alton, where he spent the remainder of his Ufe.
He became a member of the State Board of Agri-
culture in 1866, serving eiglit j'ears as Superin-
tendent and later as its President; was also a
Trustee of Shurtleff College some twenty-five
years, and for a time President of the Board. In
1870 he was elected to the lower branch of the
Twenty-seventh General Assembly, and to the
State Senate in 1882, serving a term of four years
in the latter. On the night of March 17, 1890, he
was assaulted by a burglar in his liouse, receiving
a wound from a pistol-shot in consequence of
which he died, April 6, following. The identity
of Ms assailant was never discovered, and the
crime consequently went unpunished.

GILMAN, a city in Iroquois County, at the
intersection of the Illinois Central and the
Toledo, Peoria & Warsaw Railways, 81 miles
south by west from Chicago and 208 miles north-
east of St. Louis. It is in the Iieart of one of the
richest corn districts of tlie State and has large
stock-raising and fruit-growing interests. It has
an opera house, a public library, an extensive
nursery, brick and tile works, a creamery, a lin-
seed oil mill, a bank and two vi-eekly newspapers.
Artesian well water is obtained by boring from 90
to 200 feet. Population (1880), 1,299; (1890), 1,112.

GILMAJf, Arthur, was born at Alton, 111., June
22, 1837, the son of Winthrop S. Gilman, of tlie
firm of Gilman & Godfrey, in whose wareliouse
the printing press of Rev. Elijah P. Lovejoy was
stored at the time of its deslruction by a mob in
1837 ; was educated in St. Louis and New York,
began business as a banker in 1857, but, in 1870,
removed to Cambridge, Mass., and connected
himself with "The Riverside Press." Mr. Gilman
was one of the prime movers in what is known as
"The Harvard Annex" in the interest of equal
collegiate advantages for women, and has written
much for tlie periodical press, besides publishing
a number of volumes in the line of history and
English literature.

(JILMAN, CLINTON & SPRINGFIELD RAIL-
ROAD. (See Illinois Central Railroad. )

GIRARD, a city in Macoupin County, on tlie
Chicago & Alton Railroad, 25 miles south by west
from Springfield and 13 miles north-northeast of
Carlinville. Coal-mining is carried on extensively
here. The city also has a bank, five churches
and a weekly newspaper. Population (1880),
1,024; (1890), 1,524.

GLENCOE, a village of Cook County, on the
Milwaukee Division of the Chicago & Northwest-



ern Railway, 19 miles north of Chicago. Popu-
lation (1880), 387; (1890), 569.

GLENN, Archibald A., ex-Lieutenant-Governor,
was born in Nicholas County, Ky., Jan. 30, 1819.
In 1828 his father's family removed to Illinois,
settling first in Vermilion, and later in Schuyler
County. At the age of 13, being forced to
abandon school, for six years he worked upon the
farm of his widowed mother, and, at 19, entered
a printing ofSce at Rushville, where he learned
the trade of compositor. In 1844 he published a
Whig campaign paper, which was discontinued
after the defeat of Henry Clay. For eleven
J'ears he was Circuit Clerk of Brown County,
during wliich period he was admitted to the bar ;
was a member of the Constitutional Convention
of 1862, and of the State Board of Equalization
from 1868 to 1872. The latter year he was elected
to the State Senate for four years, and, in 1875,
chosen its President, thus becoming ex-oflScio
Lieutenant-Governor. He early abandoned legal
practice to engage in banking and in mercan-
tile investment. After the expiration of his term
in the Senate, he removed to Kansas, where, at
latest advices, he still resided.

GLENN, John J., lawyer and jurist, was born
in Ashland Count}', Ohio, March 2, 1831 ; gradu-
ated from Miami University in 1856 and, in 1858,
was admitted to the bar at Terre Haute, Ind.
Removing to Illinois in 1860, he settled in Mercer
Count}', a year later removing to Monmouth in
Warren County, where he still resides. In 1877
he was elected Judge of the Tenth Judicial Cir-
cuit and re-elected in 1879, '85, "91, and '97.
After his last election he served for some time,
by appointment of the Supreme Court, as a mem-
ber of the Appellate Court for the Springfield
District, but ultimately resigned and returned to
Circuit Court duty. His reputation as a cool-
headed, impartial Judge stands very high, and his
name has been favorably regarded for a place on
the Supreme Bench.

GLOVER, Joseph Otis, lawyer, was born in
Cayuga County. N. Y., April 13, 1810, and edu-
cated in the high-school at Aiu-ora in that State.
In 1835 he came west to attend to a land case at
Galena for his father, and, although not then a
lawyer, he managed the case so successfully that
he was asked to take charge of two others. This
determined the bent of his mind tovrards the law,
to the study of which he turned his attention
under the preceptorship of the late Judge The-
ophilus L. Dickey, then of Ottawa. Soon after
being admitted to the bar in 1840, he formed a
partnership with the late Burton C. Cook, which



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



203



lasted over thirty years. In 184G he was elected
as a Democrat to the lower branch of the Fif-
teenth General Assembly, but, on the repeal of
tlie Missouri Compromise, he became one of the
founders of the Republican party and a close
friend of Abraham Lincoln, whom he entertained,
at the time of his (Lincoln's) debate with Senator
Douglas, at Ottawa, in 1858. In 1868 he served
as Presidential Elector at the time of General
Grant's first election to the Presidency, and the
following year was appointed United States Dis-
trict Attorney for the Northern District, serving
until 18T.5. In 1877 he was appointed by Gov-
ernor Cullom a member of the Board of Railway
and Canal Commissioners, of which he afterwards
became President, serving six years. Died, in
Chicago, Dec. 10, 1892.

GODFREY, a village of Madison County, on the
Chicago & Alton Railway, 5 miles north of Alton.
It is the seat of Monticello Female Seminary, and
named for Capt. Benjamin Godfrey', an early
settler who was chiefly instrumental in founding
that institution. Population ( 1890), 228.

GODFREY, (Capt.) Benjamin, sea captain and
philanthropist, was born at Chatham, Ma.ss. , Dec.
4, 1794; at nine years of age he rau away from
home and went to sea. his first voyage being to
Ireland, where he spent nine years. The War of
1813 coming on, he returned home, spending a
part of the next three years in the naval service,
also gaining a knowledge of the science of navi-
gation. Later, he became master of a merchant-
vessel making voyages to Italy, Spain, the West
Indies and other countries, finally, bj' shipwreck
in Cuban waters, losing the bulk of his fortune.
In 1824 he engaged in mercantile business at
Matamoras, Mex., where he accumulated a hand-
some fortune; but, in transferring it (amounting
to some 5200,000 in silver) acro.ss the country on
pack-animals, he was attacked and robbed by
brigands, with which that country was then
infested. Resuming business at New Orleans, he
was again successful, and, in 1832, came north,
locating near Alton, 111., the next year engaging
in the warehouse and commission business as the
partner of Winthrop S. Oilman, under the name
of Godfrey & Gilman. It was in the warehouse
of this firm at Alton that the printing-press of
Elijah P. Lovejoy was stored when it was seized
and destroyed by a mob, and Lovejoy was killed,
in October, 1837. (See Lm-ejo;/, EJiJoli P.) Soon
after establishing himself at Alton, Captain God-
frey made a donation of land and money for the
erection of a young ladies' seminary at the village
of Godfrey, four miles from Alton. (See Monti-



cello Female Seminary. ) The first cost of the
erection of buildings, borne by him, was S.')3,000.
The institution was opened, April 11, 1838, and
Captain Godfrey continued to be one of its Trustees
as long as he lived. He was also one of the lead-
ing spirits in the construction of the Alton &
Springfield Railroad (now a part of the Chicago
& Alton), in which he invested heavily and un-
profitably. Died, at Godfrey, April 13, 1802.

GOLCOXDA, a village on the Ohio River,
eighty miles northeast of Cairo; is the county-
seat of Pope County. The surrounding country
is an agricultural and mining district. Lead and
kaolin are found in the vicinity. It has a court
house, several churches and schools, two banks
and a weekly newspaper, besides flour, woolen
and saw mills. It is a shipping point for a large
region. Population (1880). 1,000; (1890), 1,174.

GOLDZIER, Julius, ex-Congressman, was
born at Vienna, Austria, Jan. 20, 18.54, and
emigrated to New York in 186(1. In 1872 he
settled in Chicago, where he was admitted
to the bar in 1877, and where he has practiced
law ever since; From 1890 to 1892 he was a
member of the Chicago City Council, and, in
1892, was the successful Democratic candidate
in the Fourth District, for Congress, but was
defeated in 1894 by Edward D. Cooke. At the
Chicago city election of 1899 he was again re-
turned to the Council as Alderman for the Thirty-
second Ward.

GOODIXG, Jame8, pioneer, was born about
1767, and, in 1833, was residing at Bristol, Ontario
County, N. Y., when he removed to Cook County,
111., settling in what was later called "Gooding's
Grove," now a part of Will County. The Grove
was also called the "Yankee Settlement," from
the Eastern origin of the principal settlers. Mr.
Gooding was accompanied, or soon after joined, by
three sons — James, Jr., William and Jasper— and
a nephew, Charles Gooding, all of whom became
prominent citizens. The senior Gooding died in
1849, at the age of 82 years.— William (Gooding),
civil engineer, son of the preceding, was born at
Bristol, Ontario County, N. Y., April 1, 1803;
educated in the common schools and by private
tuition, after which he divided his time chiefly
l)etween teaching and working on the farm of
his father, James Gooding. Having devoted
considerable attention to surveying and civil
engineering, he obtained employment in 1836 on
the Welland Canal, where he remained three years.
He then engaged in mercantile pursuits at Lock-
port, N. Y., but sold out at the end of the first
year and went to Ohio to engage in his profession.



204



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Being unsuccessful in this, he accepted employ-
ment for a time as a rodman, but later secured a
position as Assistant Engineer on the Ohio Canal.
After a brief visit to his father's in 1833, he
returned to Ohio and engaged in business there
for a short time, but the following year joined
his father, who had previously settled in a portion
of what is now Will County, but then Cook, mak-
ing the trip by the first mail steamer around the
lakes. He at first settled at "Gooding's Grove"
and engaged in farming. In 1836 he was ap-
pointed Assistant Engineer on the Illinois &
Michigan Canal, but, in 1843, became Chief Engi-
neer, continuing in that position until the com-
pletion of the canal in 1848, when he became
Secretary of the Canal Board. Died, at Lockport,
"Will County, in May, 1878.

GOODRICH, Grant, lawyer and jurist, was
born in Milton, Saratoga, County, N. Y. , August
7, 1811 ; grew up in Western New York, studied
law and came to Chicago in 1834, becoming one
of the most prominent and reputable members of
his profession, as well as a leader in many of the
movements for the educational, moral and reli-
gious advancement of the community. He was
one of the founders of the First Methodist Epis-
copal Church of Chicago, an active member of
the Union Defense Committee during the war, an
incorporator and life-long Trustee of the Nortli-
western University, and President of the Board
of Trustees of Garrett Biblical Institute, besides
being identified with many organizations of a
strictly benevolent character. In 1859 Judge
Goodrich was elected a Judge of the newly organ-
ized Superior Court, but, at the end of his term,
resumed the practice of his profession. Died,
March 15. 1889.

GORE, David, ex-State Auditor, was born in
Trigg County, Ky., April 5. 1837; came with his
parents to Madison County. 111. , in 1834, and served
in the Mexican War as a Quartermaster, afterwards
locating in Macoupin County, where he has been
extensively engaged in farming. In 1874 he was
an unsuccessful Greenback-Labor candidate for
State Treasurer, in 1884 was elected to the State
Senate from the Macoupin-Morgan District, and,
in 1892, nominated and elected, as a Democrat,
Auditor of Public Accounts, serving until 1897.
For some sixteen years he was a member of the
State Board of Agriculture, the last two years of
that period being its President. His home is at
Carlinville.

GOTJDY, Calvin, early printer and physician,
was born in Ohio, June 2, 1814; removed with
his parents, in childhood, to Indianapolis, and



in 1833 to Vandalia, III., where he worked in the
State printing office and bindery. In the fall of
1833 the family removed to Jacksonville, and the
following 3'ear he entered Illinois College, being
for a time a college-mate of Richard Yates, after-
wards Governor. Here he continued his vocation
as a printer, working for a time on "Peck's
Gazetteer of Illinois" and "Goudy's Almanac,''
of which his father was publisher. In association
with a brother while in Jacksonville, he began
the publication of "Tlie Common School Advo-
cate," the pioneer publication of its kind in the
Northwest, which was continued for about a
year. Later he studied medicine with Drs. Henry
and Merriman in Springfield, finally graduating
at the St. Louis Medical College and, in 1844
began practice at Taylorville ; in 1847 was elected
Probate Judge of Christian County for a term of
four years; in 1851 engaged in mercantile busi-
ness, which he continued nineteen years. In 1856
he was elected to tlie lower house of the General
Assembly and, in the session of the following
year, was a leading supporter of the act estab-
lishing the State Normal Scliool at Normal, still
later serving for some sixteen 3'ears on tlie State
Board of Education. Died, at Taylorville, in
1877. Dr. Goudy was an older brother of the late
William C. Goudy of Chicago.

GOUDY, William C, lawyer, was born in
Indiana, May 15, 1824; came to Illinois, with his
father, first to "Vandalia and afterwards to Jack-
sonville, previous to 1833, where the latter began
the publication of "The Farmer's Almanac" — a
well-known publication of that time. At Jack-
sonville young Goudy entered Illinois College,
graduating in 1845, when he began the study of
law with Judge Stephen T. Logan, of Springfield ;
was admitted to the bar in 1847, and the next year
began practice at Lewistown, Fulton County;
served as State's Attorney (1853-55) and as State
Senator (1856-60); at the close of his term re-
moved to Chicago, where he became prominent
as a corporation and railroad lawyer, in 1886 be-
coming General Solicitor of the Chicago & North-
western Railroad. During President Cleveland's
first term, Mr. Goudy was believed to exert a
large influence with the administration, and was
credited with having been largely instrumental
in securing the appointment of his partner, Mel-
ville W. Fuller, Chief Justice of the Supreme
Court. Died, April 37, 1893.

GRAFF, Joseph V., lawyer and Congressman,
was born at Terre Haute, Ind., July 1, 1854; after
graduating from the Terre Haute high-school,
spent one year in Wabash College at Crawfords-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



ao5



ville, but did not graduate ; studied law and was
admitted to tlie bar at Delavan, 111., in 1879; in
1893 was a delegate to the Republican National
Convention at Minneapolis, but, with the excep-
tion of President of the Board of Education,
never held any public office until elected to Con-
gress from the Fourteentli Illinois District, as a
Republican, in November, 1894. Mr. Graff was a
successful candidate for re-election in 1896, and
again in '98.

GEAFTOIV, a town in Jersey County, situated
on the Mississippi one and a half miles below the
mouth of the Illinois River. The bluffs are high
and fine river views are obtainable. A fine qual-
ity of fossiliferous limestone is quarried here and
exported by the river. The town has a bank,
two churches and a graded school. Population
(1880), 807; (1890). 927.

GRAIN INSPECTION, a mode of regulating
the grain-trade in accordance with State law, and
under the general supervision of the Railroad and
Warehouse Commission. The principal exec-
utive officer of the department is the Chief
Inspector of Grain, the expenses of whose adminis-
tration are borne by fees. The chief business of
the inspection department is transacted in Chi-
cago, where the principal offices are located. (See
Railroad and Warehouse Commission.)

GRAMMAR, John, pioneer and early legislator,
came to Southern Illinois at a very early date and
served as a member of the Third Territorial



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 42 of 207)