Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 44 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 44 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the educational department of the Philadelphia
Centennial of 1876. From 1882 to "85 he was a
member of the United States Civil Service Com-
mission. The degree of LL.D. was conferred
upon him by Madison University (Hamilton,
N. Y.) in 1866. AVhile State Superintendent he
published a "Compend of School Laws"' of Michi-
gan, besides numerous addresses on educational
subjects. Other works of his are "Handbook of
History" and "Map of Time" (Chicago, 1866) ; "A
New Political Economy'" (Cincinnati, 1882); and
"Seven Laws of Teaching" (Chicago, 1883).
While holding a chair as Professor Emeritus of
Political Economy in the University of Illinois
during the latter years of his Ufe, he resided in
Washington, D. C, where he died, Oct. 20, 1898.
By his special request he was buried on the
grounds of the University at Champaign.

GEESHAM, Walter Quinton, soldier, jurist
and statesman, was born near Lanesville, Harri-
son County, Ind., March 17, 1832. Two years at
a seminary at Corydon, followed by one year at
Bloomington University, completed his early
education, which was commenced at the common
schools. He read law at Corydon, and was
admitted to the bar in 1853. In 1860 he was
elected to the Indiana Legislature, but resigned
to become Lieutenant-Colonel of the Thirty-
eighth Indiana Volimteers, and was almost
Immediately commissioned Colonel of the Fifty-
third Regiment. After the fall of Vicksburg lie
was promoted to a Brigadier-Generalship, and was
brevetted Major-General on March 13, 1865. At
Atlanta he was severely wounded, and disabled
from service for a year. After the war he re-
sumed practice at New Albany, Ind. His polit-
ical career began in 1856, when he .stumped his
county for Fremont. From that time until 1892
he was always prominently identified with the
Republican party. In 1866 he was an unsuccess-
ful Republican candidate for Congress, and, in
1867-68, was the financial agent of his State
(Indiana) in New York. In 1869 President Grant
appointed him Judge of the United States Dis-
trict Court for Indiana. In 1883 he resigned this
position to accept the portfolio of Postmaster-Gen-
eral in the Cabinet of President Arthur. In July,
1884, upon the death of Secretary Folger, he was
made Secretary of the Treasury. In Oct. 1884,



he was appointed United States Judge of the
Seventh Judicial Circuit, and thereafter made
his home in Chicago. lie was an earnest advo-
cate of the renomination of Grant in that year,
but subsequently took no active personal part in
politics. In 1888 lie was the substantially unani-
mous choice of Illinois Republicans for the Presi-
dency, but was defeated in convention. In 1892
he was tendered the Populist nomination for
President, but declined. In 1893 President Cleve-
land offered him the portfolio of Secretary of
State, which he accepted, dying in office at
Washington, D. C, May 28, 1895.

GREUSEL, Nicholas, soldier, was born in Ger-
many, July 4, 1817, the son of a .soldier of Mirrat;
came to New York in 1833 and to Detroit, Mich.,
in 1835 ; served as a Captain of the First Michigan
Volunteers in the Mexican War; in 1857, came to
Chicago and was employed on the Chicago, Bur-
lington & Quincy Railroad, until the firing on
Fort Sumter, when he promptly enrolled himself
as a private in a company organized at Aurora,
of which he was elected Captain and attached to
the Seventh Illinois (three-months' men), later
being advanced to the rank of Major. Re-enlisting
for three years, he vvas commissioned Lieutenant-
Colonel, but, in August following, was commis-
sioned Colonel of the Thirty-sixth Illinois; took
part in tlie battles of Pea Ridge and Perryville
and the campaign against Corinth ; compelled to
resign on account of failing health, in February,
1863, he removed to Mount Pleasant, Iowa,
whence he returned to Aurora in 1893. Died at
Aurora, April 25, 1896.

GRIDLEY, Asahel, lawyer and banker, was
born at Cazenovia, N. Y., April 21, 1810; was
educated at Pompey Academj' and, at the age of
31, came to Illinois, locating at Bloomington and
engaging in the mercantile business, which he
carried on quite extensively some eight years.
He served as First Lieutenant of a cavalry com-
pany during the Black Hawk War of 1832, and
soon after was elected a Brigadier-General of
militia, thereby acquiring the title of "General."
In 1840 he was elected to the lower branch of the
Twelfth General Assembly, and soon after began
to turn his attention to the study of law, subse-
quently forming a partnership with Col. J. H.
Wickizer* which continued for a number of years.
Having been elected to the State Senate in 1850,
he took a conspicuous part in the two succeeding
sessions of the General Assembly in securing tlie
location of the Chicago & Alton and the Illinois
Central Railroads by way of Bloomington; was
also, at a later period, a leading promoter of the



HISTOKK'AL K.NCYCLUPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Indiana, Blooniington & Western and other lines.
In 1858 lie joined J. Y. Scaamion and J. H. Burcli
of Chicago, in the establishment of the McLean
County Bank at Blooniington, of which he became
President and ultimately sole proprietor ; also be-
came proprietor, in 1857, of the Blooniington Gas-
Light & Coke Company, which he managed some
twenty-five years. Originally a Whig, he identi-
fied himself with the Republican cause in 1856,
serving upon the State Central Committee during
the campaign of that year, but, in 18T2, took
part in the Liberal Republican movement, serv-
ing as a delegate to the Cincinnati Convention,
where he was a zealous supporter of David Davis
for the Presidency. Died, at Blooniington, Jan.
20. 1881.

GRIER, (Col.) David Perkins, soldier and mer-
chant, was born near Wilkesbarre, Pa., in 1837;
received a common school education and, in
1852, came to Peoria, 111., where he engaged in
the grain business, subsequently, in partnership
with his brother, erecting the first grain-elevator
in Peoria, with three or four at other points.
Early in the war he recruited a company of which
he was elected Captain, but, as the State quota
was already full, it was not accepted in Illinois,
but was mustered in, in June, as a part of the
Eighth Missouri Volunteers. With this organi-
zation he took part in the capture of Forts Henry
and Donelson, the battle of Sliiloh and the siege
and capture of Corinth. In August, 1862, he was
ordered to report to Governor Yates at Spring-
field, and, on his arrival, was presented with a
commission as Colonel of the Seventy-seventh
Illinois Volunteer Infantry, of which he retained
command up to the siege of Vicksburg. During
that siege he commanded a brigade and, in sub-
sequent operations in Louisiana, vi-as in command
of the Second Brigade, Fourth Division of the
Thirteenth Armj' Corps. Later he had command
of all the troops on Dauphin Island, and took a
conspicuous part in the capture of Fort Morgan
and Mobile, as well as other operations in Ala-
bama. He subsequently had command of a
division until his muster-out, July 10, 1865, with
the rank of brevet Brigadier-General. After the
war, General Grier resumed his business as a
grain merchant at Peoria, but, in 1879, removed to
East St. Louis, where he had charge of the erection
and management of the Union Elevator there —
was also Vice-President and Director of the St.
Louis Merchants' Exchange. Died, April 22,
1891.

GRIERSON, Benjamin H., soldier, was born in
Pittsburg, Pa., July 8, 1826; removed in boyhood



to Trumbull County, Ohio, and, about 18.50, to
Jacksonville, 111., where he was engaged for a
time in teaching music, later embarking in the
grain and produce business at Jleredosia. He
enlisted promptly at the beginning of the Civil
War, becoming Aid-de-camp to General Prentiss
at Cairo iluring the three-months' service, later
being commissioned Major of the Sixth Illinois
Cavalry. From this time his promotion was
rapid. He was commissioned Colonel of the same
regiment in March, 1862, and was commander of a
brigade in December following. He was promi-
nent in nearly all the cavalry skirmishes between
Memphis and the Tennessee river, and, in April
and May, 1863, led the famous raid from La
Grange, Tenn., through the States of Mississippi
and Louisiana to Baton Rouge in the latter— for
the first time penetrating the heart of the Con-
federacy and causing consternation among the
rebel leaders, while materially aiding General
(irant's movement against Vicksburg. This dem-
onstration was generally regarded as one of the
most brilliant events of the war, and attracted
the attention of the whole country. In recog
nition of this service he was, on June 3, 1863.
made a Brigadier-General, and May 27, 1865, a
full Major-General of Volunteers. Soon after the
close of the war he entered the regular army as
Colonel of the Tenth United States Cavalry and
was successively brevetted Brigadier- and Major
General for bravery shown in a raid in Arkansas
during December, 1864. His subsequent service
was in the West and .Southwest conducting cam
paigns against the Indians, in the meanwhile
being in command at Santa Fe, San Antonio and
elsewhere. On the promotion of General Miles
to a Major-Generalship following the death of
Maj.-Gen. George Crook in Cliicago, March 19,
1890, General Grierson, who had been the senior
Colonel for some years, was promoted Brigadier-
General and retired with that rank in July fol-
lowing. His home is at Jacksonville.

GRIGGS, Samuel Chapman, publisher, was
born in Tolland, Conn., July 20, 1819; began
busine.ss as a bookseller at Hamilton, X. Y., but
removed to Chicago, where he established the
largest bookselling trade in the Xorthwest. Mr.
Griggs was a heavy lo^er by the fire of 1871, and
the following year, having sold out to his part-
ners, established himself in the publishing busi-
ness, which he conducted until 1890, when he
retired. The class of books published by him
include many educational and classical, witli
others of a high order of merit. Died in Chi-
cago, April 5, 1897.



213



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



GRIGGSVILLE, a city in Pike County, on the
Wabash Railroad, four miles west of the Illinois
River, and fifty miles east of Quincy. Flour,
agricultural implements, carriages and wagons
are manufactured here. The city has fine
churches, good graded schools, a public library
and a weekly newspaper. Population (1880),
1,515; (1890), 1,400.

GRIMSHAW, Jackson, lawyer and politician,
was born in Philadelphia, Nov. 28, 1820, of Anglo-
Irish and Revolutionary ancestry. He was par-
tially educated at Bristol College, Pa., and began
the study of law with his father, who was a lawyer
and an author of repute. His professional studies
were interrupted for a few years, during which he
was employed at surveying and civil engineering,
but he was admitted to the bar at Harrisburg, in
1843. The same year he settled at Pittsfield, 111. ,
where he formed a partnership with his brother,
William A. Grimshaw. In 1857 he removed to
Quincy, where he resided for the remainder of his
life. He was a member of the first Republican
Convention, at Bloomington, in 1856, and was
twice an unsuccessful candidate for Congress
(1856 and '58) in a strongly Democratic District.
He was a warm personal friend and trusted coun-
sellor of Governor Yates, on whose stafiE he served
as Colonel. During 1861 the latter sent Mr.
Grimshaw to Washington with dispatches an-
nouncing the capture of Jefferson Barracks, Mo.
On arriving at Annapolis, learning that the rail-
roads had been torn up by rebel sympathizers, he
walked from that city to the capital, and was
summoned into the presence of the President and
General Scott with his feet protruding from his
boots. In 1865 Mr. Lincoln appointed him Col-
lector of Internal Revenue for the Quincy Dis-
trict, which office he held until 1869. Died, at
Quincy, Dec. 13, 1875.

GRIMSHAW, William A., early lawyer, was
born in Philadelphia and admitted to the bar
in his native city at the age of 19 ; in 1833 came
to Pike County, 111., where he continued to prac-
tice until his death. He served in the State Con-
stitutional Convention of 1847, and had the credit
of preparing the article in the second Constitution
prohibiting dueling. In 1864 he was a delegate
to the Republican National Convention wliich
nominated Mr. Lincoln for President a second
time ; also served as Presidential Elector in 1880.
He was, for a time, one of the Trustees of the
Institution for the Deaf and Dumb at Jackson
vlUe, and, from 1877 to 1883, a member of the State
Board of Public Charities, being for a time Presi-
dent of the Board. Died, at Pittsfield, Jan.7, 1895.



GRINNELL, Julius S., lawyer and ex-Judge,
was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y.. in 1842,
of New England parents, who were of French
descent. He graduated from Middlebury College
in 1866, and, two years later, was admitted to the
bar at Ogdensburg, N. Y. In 1870 he removed to
Chicago, where he soon attained a prominent
position at the bar ; was elected City Attorney in
1879, and re-elected in 1881 and 1883. In 1884 he
was elected State's Attorney for Cook County, in
which capacity he successfully conducted some
of the most celebrated criminal prosecutions in
the history of Illinois. Among these may be
mentioned the cases against Joseph T. Mackin
and William J. Gallagher, growing out of an
election conspiracy in Chicago in 1884; the
conviction of a number of Cook County Commis-
sioners for accepting bribes in 1885, and the con-
viction of seven anarchistic leaders charged with
complicity in the Haymarket riot and massacre
in Chicago, in May, 1886 — the latter trial being
held in 1887. The same year (1887) he was
elected to the Circuit bench of Cook County, but
resigned his seat in 1890 to become coimsel for
the Chicago City Railway. Died, in Chicago,
June 8, 1898.

GROSS, Jacob, ex-State Treasurer and banker,
was born in Germany, Feb. 11, 1840; having lost
his father by death at 18, came to the United
States two years later, spent a year in Chicago
schools, learned tlie trade of a tinsmith and
clerked in a store until August, 1862, when he
enlisted in the Eighty-Second Illinois Volunteers
(the second "Hecker Regiment"); afterwards par-
ticipated in some of the most important battles
of the war, including Chancellorsville, Gettjs-
burg. Lookout Mountain, Resaca and others. At
Dallas, Ga. , he had his right leg badly sliattered
by a bullet-wound above the knee, four successive
amputations being found necessary in order to
save his life. Having been discharged from the
service in February, 1865, he took a course in a
commercial college, became dej)uty clerk of the
Police Court, served three terms as Collector of
the West Town of Chicago, and an equal number
of terms (12 years) as Clerk of the Circuit Court
of Cook County, and, in 1884, was elected State
Treasurer. Since retiring from the latter ofl[ice,
Jlr. Gross has been engaged in tlie banking busi-
ness, being President, for several years, of the
Commercial Bank of Chicago.

GROSS, William L., lawyer, was born in Her
kimer County, N. Y., Feb. 21, 1839, came with
his father to Illinois in 1844, was admitted to the
bar at Springfield in 1862, but almost im'mediately



ULSTOKK'AL K.NCVCLol'KDIA OF ILLINOIS.



213



entered the service of the Government, and, a
year later, was appointed by President Lincoln
Captain and Assistant Quartermaster, and, under
conimaud of General Stager, assigned to the
Department of the Ohio as Military Superintend-
ent of Telegraphs. At the close of the war he
was transferred to the Department of the Gulf,
taking control of military telegraphs in that
Department with headquarters at New Orleans,
remaining until August, 1866, meanwhile being
brevetted Major and Lieutenant-Colonel. For
the next two jears he occupied various positions
in the civil telegraph service, but, in 1868, resumed
the practice of law at Springfield, in conjunction
with his brother (Eugene L.) issuing the first
volume of "Gross" Statutes of Illinois," followed
in subsequent years by two additional volumes,
besides an Index to all the Laws of the State. In
1878 he was elected as a Republican to tlie General
Assembly from Sangamon Comitj', and, in 1884,
was appointed by Governor Hamilton Circuit
Judge to succeed Judge C. S. Zane, who had been
appointed Chief Justice of Utah. Upon the organi-
zation of the Illinois State Bar Association, Judge
Gross became its first Secretary, serving until
1883, when he was elected President, again serv-
ing as Secretary and Treasurer in 1893-94.

GEOSSCUP," Peter Stenger, jurist, born in
Ashland, Ohio, Feb. 15, 18.52 ; was educated in the
local schools and Wittenberg College, graduating
from the latter in 18T2; read law in Boston, Mass.,
and settled down to practice in his native town,
in 1ST4. He was a candidate for Congress in a
Democratic District before he was 25 years old,
but, being a Republican, was defeated. Two
j-ears later, being tlirown by a reapportionment
into the same di.strict with William McKinley,
he put that gentleman in nomination for the seat
in Congress to which lie was elected. He re-
moved to Chicago in 1883, ami, for several years,
was the partner of the late Leonard Swett; in
December, 1802. was appointed by President
Harrison Judge of the United States District
Court for tlie Northern District of Illinois as suc-
cessor to Judge Henry W. Blodgett. On the
death of Judge Showalter, in December, 1898,
Judge Grosscup was appointed his successor as
Judge of the United States Circuit Court for the
Seventh Judicial District. Although one of the
youngest incumbents upon the bench of the
United States Court, Judge Grosscup lias given
ample evidence of his ability as a jurist, besides
proving himself in harmonj- with the progressive
spirit of tlie time on questions of national and
international interest.



GRUNDY COUNTY, situated in the northeast-
ern quarter of the State, having an area of 440
square miles and a population (1890) of 21,024.
The surface is mainly rolling prairie, beneath
which is a continuous coal seam, three feet thick.
Building .stone is abundant (particularly near
Morris), and there are considerable beds of pot-
ter's clay. The county is crossed by the Illinois
River and the Illinois & Michigan Canal, also by the
Rock Island and the Chicago & Alton Railways.
The chief occupation of the people is agriculture,
although there are several manufacturing estab-
lishments. The first white settler of whom any
record has been preserved, was William Marquis,
who arrived at the mouth of the Mazon in a
"prairie schooner" in 1828. Other pioneers
were Colonel Sayers, W. A. Holloway, Alex-
ander K. Owen, John Taylor, James McCartney
and Joab Chappell. The first public land sale
was made in 1835, and, in 1841, the county was
organized out of a part of La Salle, and named
after Felix Grundy, the eminent Tennesseean.
The first poUbook showed 148 voters. Morris
was chosen the county-seat and has so re-
mained. Its present population is 3,653. Another
prosperous town is Gardner, with 1,100 inhab-
itants.

GULLIVER, John Putnam, D.D., LL.D.,
clergyman and educator, was born in Bostfin,
Mass., May 12, 1819; graduated at Yale College,
in 1840. and at Andover Theological Seminary in
1845, meanwhile serving two years as Principal
of Randolph Academy. From 1845 to 1805 he
was pastor of a churcli at Norwich, Conn., in
1865-68, of the New England Church, of Chicago,
and, 1868-72, President of Knox College at Gales-
burg, 111. The latter year he became pastor of
the First Presbyterian Church in Binghamton,
N. Y., remaining until 1878, when he was elected
Professor of the "Relations of Christianity and
Secular .Science" .at Andover. holding this posi-
tion actively until 1891, and then, as Professor
Emeritus, until his death, Jan. 25, 1894. He was
a member of the Corporation of Yale College
and had been honored with the degrees of D.D.
and LL.D.

GURLEY, William F. E., State Geologist, was
born at Oswego, N. Y., June 5, 1854; brought by
his parents to Danville, 111. , in 18G4, and educated
in the public schools of that city and Cornell
University. N. Y. ; served as city engineer of
Danville in 1885-87, and again in 1891-93. In
July of the latter year he was appointed by Gov-
ernor Altgeld State Geologist as successor to Prof.
Joshua Lindahl.



214



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



HACKER, John S., pioneer and soldier of the
Mexican War, was born at Owensburg, Ky.,
November, 1797; in earlj- life removed to Mis-
souri, where he was employed in the stock and
produce trade with New Orleans. Having married
in 1817, he settled at Jonesboro, Union County,
111., where he kept a tavern for a number of
years, and was also engaged some tliirty years in
mercantile business. It is said that he was
unable to read until taught after marriage by his
wife, who appears to have been a woman of
intelligence and many graces. In 1824 he was
elected Representative in the Fourth General
Assembly and, in 1834, to the State Senate, serv-
ing by re-election in 18:!8 until 1842, and being a
supporter of the internal improvement scheme.
In 1837 he voted for the removal of the State
capital from Vandalia to Springfield, and, though
differing from Abraham Lincoln politically, was
one of his warm personal friends. He served in
the War of 1812 as a private in the Missouri
militia, and, in the Mexican War, as Captain of a
company in the Second Regiment, Illinois Volun-
teers—Col. W. H. Bissell's. By service on the
staff of Governor Duncan, he had already obtained
the title of Colonel. He received the nomination
for Lieutenant-Governor from the first formal
State Convention of tlie Democratic party in
December, 1837, but the head of the ticket (Col.
J. W. Stephenson) having withdrawn on account
of charges connected with his administration of
the Land Office at Dixon, Colonel Hacker also
declined, and a new ticket was put in the field
headed by Col. Thomas L. Carlin, which was
elected in 1838. In 1849 Colonel Hacker made
the overland journey to California, but returning
with impaired health in 1852, located in Cairo,
where he held the position of Surveyor of the
Port for three years, when he was removed by
President Buchanan on account of his friendship
for Senator Douglas. He also served, from 1854
to "56, as Secretary of the Senate Committee on
Territories under the Chairmanship of Senator
Douglas, and, in 1856, as Assistant Doorkeeper of
the House of Representatives in Washington. In
1857 he returned to Jonesboro and spent the
remainder of his life in practical retirement,
dying at the home of his daughter, in Anna, May
18, 1878.

HADLET, William F. L., lawyer and Con-
gressman, was born near ColUnsville, 111., June
15, 1847; grew up on a farm, receiving his educa-
tion in the common schools and at McKendree
College, where he graduated in 1867. In 1871 he
graduated from the Law Department of the



University of Michigan, and established him-
self in the practice of his profession at
Edwardsville. He was elected to the State Sen-
ate from Madison County in 1886, serving four
years, and was nominated for a second term, but
declined; was a delegate-at-large to the Repub-
lican National Convention of 1888, and, in 1895,
was nominated and elected, in the Eighteenth
District, as a Republican, to the Fifty-fourth Con-
gress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of
Hon. Frederick Remann, who had been elected
in 1894, but died before taking his seat. Mr.
Iladley was a candidate for re-election in 1896,
but was prevented by protracted illness fi'om
making a canvass, and suffered a defeat. He
is a son-in-law of the late Edward M. West,
long a prominent business man of Edwards-
ville, and since his retirement from Congress, has
devoted his attention to his profession and the
banking business.

HAHNEMANN HOSPITAL, a homeopathic hos-
])ital located in Chicago. It was first opened with
twenty beds, in November, 1870, in a block of
wooden buildings, the use of which was given
rent free by Mr. J. Young Scammon, and was
known as the Scammon Hospital. After the fire
of October, 1871, Mr. Scammon deeded the prop-
erty to the Trustees of the Hahnemann Medical
College, and the hospital was placed on the list
of public charities. It also received a donation
of $10,000 from the Relief and Aid Society,
besides numerous private benefactions. In
April, 1873. at the suggestion of Mr. Scammon,
the name of the institution was changed to the
Halmemann Hospital, by which designation it



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 44 of 207)