Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 45 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 45 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


has since been known. In 1893 the cornerstone
of a new hospital was laid and the building com-
pleted in 1894. It is seven stories in height, with
a capacity for 225 beds, and is equipped with all
the improved appliances and facilities for the
care and protection of the sick. It has also about
sixtv private rooms for paying patients.

HAHNEMANN MEDICAL COLLEGE, located
in Chicago, chartered in 1834-35, but not organ-
ized until 1860, when temporary quarters were
secured over a drug-store, and the first college
term opened, with a teaching faculty numbering
nine professors, besides clinical lecturers, demon-
strators, etc. In 1866-67 the institution moved
into larger quarters and, in 1870, the corner-stone
of a new college building was laid. The six suc-
ceeding years were marked by internal dis,sen-
sion, ten of the professors withdrawing to
establish a rival school. The faculty was cur-
tailed in numbers and re-organized. In August,



IIISTOKU'AL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



215



1893, tlie comer-stone of a second building was
laid with appropriate Masonic ceremonies, the
new structure occupying tlie site of the old, but
being larger, better arranged and better equipped.
Women were admitted as students in 1870-71 and
co-education of the sexes luis ever since continued
an established feature of the institution. For
more than thirty-five years a free dispensary has
been in operation in connection with the college.
HAIXES, John Charles, Mayor of Chicago and
legislator, was born in Oneida County, N. Y.,
May 2G, 1818; came to Chicago in 1835, and, for
the next eleven years, was employed in various
pursuits: served three terms (1848-.54) in the City
Council : was twice elected Water Commissioner
(1853 and '56). and, in 18.18, was chosen Mayor,
serving two terms. He also served as Delegate
from Cook County in the Constitutional Conven-
tion of 1869-70, and, in 1874, was elected to the
State Senate from the First District, serving in
tlie Twenty-ninth and Thirtieth General Assem-
blies. At the session of 1877 he received sixty-
nine votes for the seat in the United States
Senate to which Judge David Davis was after-
wards elected. Mr. Haines was a member of the
Chicago Historical Society, was interested in the
old Chicago West Division Railway and President
of the Savings Institute. During his later years
he was a resident of Waukegan, dying tliere,
July 4, 1896. — Elijah Middlebrook (Haines),
brother of the preceding, lawyer, politician
and legislator, was born in Oneida County, N. Y.,
April 21. 1822; came to Illinois in boyhood, locat-
ing first at Chicago, but, a year later, went to
Lake County, where he resided until his death.
His education, rudimentary, cla.ssical and profes-
sional, was self-accpiired. He began to occupy
and cultivate a farm for himself before attaining
his majority ; studied law, and, in 1851, was
admitted to the bar, beginning practice at Wau-
kegan; in 1860 opened an office in Chicago, still,
however, making his home at Waukegan. In
1855 he published a compilation of the Illinois
township laws, followed by a "Treatise on the
Powers and Duties of Justices of the Peac«. " He
made similar compilations of the township laws
of Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Missouri.
By nature Mr. Haines was an agitator, and his
career as a politician both checkered and unique.
Originally a Democrat, he abandoned that or-
ganization upon the formation of the Republican
party, and was elected by the latter to the Legis-
lature from Lake County in 1858, '60 and '62. In
1867 he came into prominence as an anti-monopo-
list, and oil this issue was elected to the Consti-



tutional Convention of 1869-70. In 1870 he was
again chosen to the Legislature as an "independ-
ent, "and, as such, re-elected in '74, '82, '84, '86 and
'88, receiving the support, however, of the Demo-
crats in a District normally Republican. He
served as Speaker during the sessions of 1875 and
'85, the party strength in each of these Assemblies
being so equally divided that he either held, or
was able to control, the balance of power. He
was an adroit parliamentarian, but his decisions
were the cause of much severe criticism, being
regarded by both Democrats and Republicans as
often arbitrary and unjust. The two sessions
over which he presided were among the stormiest
in the State's history. Died, at Waukegan, April
25, 1889.

HALE, Albert, pioneer clergyman, was born
at Glastonburj-, Conn., Nov. 29, 1799; after some
years spent as a clerk in a country store at
Wethersfield. completed a course in the theolog-
ical department of Yale College, later serving as a
home missionarj', in Georgia ; came to Illinois in
1831, doing home missionary work in Bond
County, and, in 1833, was sent to Cliicago, where
his open candor, benignity and blameless conduct
enabled him to exert a powerful influence over
the drunken aborigines who constituted a large
and menacing class of the population of what
was then a frontier town. In 1839 he assumed
the pastorate of the Second Presbyterian Cliurch
in Springfield, continuing that connection until
1865. From that time until his death, his life
was largely devoted to missionary work among
the extremely poor and the pariahs of society.
Among these he wielded a large influence and
always commanded genuine respect from all
denominations. His forte was love rather than
argument, and in this lay the secret of his suc-
cess. Died, in Springfield, Jan. 30, 1891.

HALE, (Dr.) Edyyiu M., physician, was bom
in Newport. N. H., in 1829, commenced the study
of medicine in 1848 and, in 18,50, entered the
Cleveland Homeopathic College, at the end of the
session locating at Jonesville, Mich. From 1855
he labored in the interest of a representation of
homeopathy in the University of Michigan.
Whgn this was finally accomplished, he was
offered the chair of Materia Medica and Thera-
peutics, but was compelled to decline in conse-
quenceof having been elected to the same position
in the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago.
In 1876 he made a visit to Europe, and, on his
return, severed his connection with the Hahne-
mann and accepted a similar position in the Chi-
cago Homeopathic College, where he remained



216



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Ave years, when he retired with the rank of Pro-
fessor Emeritus. Dr. Hale was the author of
several volumes held in high esteem by members
of the profession, and maintained a high reputa-
tion for professional skill and benevolence of
character. He was a member of the Chicago
Academy of Sciences and an honorary member of
various home and foreign associations. Died, in
Chicago, Jan. 18, 1899.
"HALL, (Col.) Cyrus, soldier, was born in Fay-
ette County, 111., August 29, 1833 — the son of a
pioneer who came to Illinois about the time of
its admission as a State. He served as Second
Lieutenant in the Third Illinois Volunteers (Col.
Foreman's regiment), during the Mexican War,
and, in 1860, removed to Shelbyville to engage in
hotel-keeping. The Civil War coming on, lie
raised the first company for the war in Shelby
County, which was attached to the Fourteenth
Illinois (Col. John M. Palmer's regiment); was
promptly promoted from Captain to Major and
finally to Lieutenant-Colonel, on the promotion
of Palmer to Brigadier-General, succeeding to
command of the regiment. Tlie Fourteenth
Regiment having been finally consolidated with
the Fifteenth, Lieutenant-Colonel Hall was
transferred, with the rank of Colonel, to the
command of the One Hundred and Forty-fourth
Illinois, which he resigned in March, 1864, was
brevetted Brigadier-General for gallant and
meritorious service in the field, in March, 186.5,
and mustered out Sept. 16, 1865. Returning to
Shelbyville, he engaged in the furniture trade,
later was appointed Postmaster, serving some ten
years and until his death, Sept. 6, 1878.

HALL, James, legislator, jurist, State Treasurer
and author, was born in Philadelphia, August
19, 1T93; after serving in the War of 1812 and
spending some time with Com. Stephen Decatur
in the Mediterranean, in 1815, he studied law,
beginning practice at Shawneetown, in 1830.
He at once assumed prominence as a citizen, was
appointed State's Attorney in 1821, and elevated
to the bench of the Circuit Court in 1835. He
was legislated out of office two years later and
resumed private practice, making his home at
Vandalia, where he was associated with Robert
Blackwell in the publication of "Tlie Illinois
Intelligencer." The same year (1827) he was
elected by the Legislature State Treasurer, con-
tinuing in office four years. Later he removed to
Cincinnati, where he died. July 5, 1868. He con-
ducted "Tlie Western Monthly Magazine," the
first periodical published in Illinois. Among his
published volumes may be mentioned "Tales of



the Border," "Notes on the Western States,"
"Sketches of the West," "Romance of Western
History," and "History of the Indian Tribes."

HAMEB, Thomas, soldier and legislator, was
born in Union County, Pa., June 1, 1818; came
to Illinois in 1846 and began business as a mer-
chant at Vermont, Fulton County ; in 1862
assisted in recruiting the Eighty-fourth Illinois
Volunteers and was elected Lieutenant-Colonel;
was wounded in the battle of Stone River, re-
turned to duty after partial recovery, but was
finally compelled to retire on account of disabil-
ity. Returning home he resumed business, but
retired in 1878 ; was elected Representative in the
General Assembly in 1886 and to the Senate in
1888, and re-elected to the latter in 1892, making
ten years of continuous service.

HAMILTON, a city in Hancock County, on the
Mississippi River, opposite Keokuk. lovi'a. It is
on the Toledo, Peoria & Warsaw Railroad, and
the Keokuk branch of the Wabash Railway. Its
position at the foot of the lower rapids insures
abundant water power, which is extensively
utilized for manufacturing purposes. An iron
railroad bridge connects the Illinois city with
Keokuk. It has a bank, two newspapers, several
churches and a high school. The surrounding
country is a prolific fruit-growing district. It
has mineral springs, and a sanitarium is located
here. Population (1880), 1.025; (1890), 1,301.

HAMILTON, John B., M.D, LL.D., surgeon,
was born of a pioneer famil}- in Jersey County,
111., Dec. 1, 1847, his grandfather, Thomas M.
Hamilton, having removed from Ohio in 1818 to
Monroe County, 111. , where the father of the sub-
ject of this sketch was born. The latter (Elder
Benjamin B. Hamilton) was for fifty years a
Baptist preacher, chiefly in Greene County, and,
from 1862 to '65, Chaplain of the Sixty-first Illi-
nois Volunteers. Young Hamilton, having re-
ceived liis literary education at home and with a
classical teacher at Edinburgli, Scotland, in 1863
began tlie study of medicine, and the following
year attempted to enlist as a soldier, but was
rejected on account of being a minor. In 1869 he
graduated from Rush Medical College in Chicago,
and, for the next five years, was engaged in gen-
eral practice. Then, having passed an examina-
tion before an Army Examining Board, he was
appointed Assistant .Surgeon in the regular army
with the rank of First Lieutenant, serving suc-
cessively at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis; Fort
Colville, Wasliington. and in the Marine Hospital
at Boston ; in 1879 became Supervising Surgeon-
General as successor to Gen. John M. Woodworth



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



!ir



and, during the yellow-fever epidemic in the
South, a few years later, rendered efficient service
in checking the spread of the disease by taking
charge of tlie camp of refugees from Jacksonville
and other stricken points. Resigning the position
of Surgeon-General in 1891, he took charge of the
Marine Hospital at Chicago and became Pro-
fessor of Surgery in Rush Medical College, besides
holding other allied positions ; was also editor of
"The Journal of the American Medical Associ-
ation." In 1896 he resigned his position in the
Medical Department of the United States Army,
in 1897 was appointed Superintendent for the
Northern Hospital for the Insane at Elgin, but
died, Dec. 24, 1898.

HAMILTON, John L., farmer and legislator,
was born at Newry, Ireland, Nov. 9. 1829; emi-
grated to Jersey County, III., in 1831, where he
began life working on a farm. Later, he followed
the occupation of a farmer in Mason and Macou-
pin Counties, finally locating, in 1864, in Iroquois
County, which has since been his liome. After
filling various local offices, in 1875 he was elected
County Treasurer of Iroquois County as a Repub-
lican, and twice re-elected (1877 and '79), also, in
1880, being Chairman of the Republican County
Central Committee. In 1884 he was elected to
the House of Representatives, being one of the
"103" who stood by General Logan in the mem-
orable Senatorial contest of 1885 ; was re-elected
in 1886, and again returned to the same body in
1890 and '98.

HAMILTON, John Marshall, lawyer and ex-
Governor, was born in Union County, Ohio, May
28, 1847; when 7 years of age, was brought to
Illinois by his father, who settled on a farm in
Marshall County. In 1864 (at the age of 17; he
enlisted in tlie One Hundred and Forty-first Illi-
nois Volunteers — a 100-day regiment. After
being mustered out, he matriculated at tlie Wes-
leyan (Ohio) University, from which he gradu-
ated in 1868. For a year he tauglit school at
Henry, ami later became Professor of Languages
at the Wesleyan (111.) University at Blooming-
ton. He was admitted to the bar in 1870, and has
been a successful practitioner at the bar. In
1876 he was elected State Senator from McLean
County, and, in 1880, Lieutenant-Governor on the
ticket with Gov. Shelby M. Cullom. On Feb. 6,
1883, he was inaugurated Governor, to succeed
Governor Cullom, who had been chosen United
States Senator. In 1884 he was a candidate for
the gubernatorial nomination before the Repub-
lican State Convention at Peoria, but that body
ex-Gov. and ex-Senator Richard J.



Oglesby to head the State ticket. Since then
Governor Hamilton has been a prominent practi-
tioner at the Chicago bar.

HAMILTON, Richard Jones, pioneer lawyer,
was born near Danville, Ky., August 21, 1799;
studied law and, about 1820, came to Jonesboro,
Union County, III., in company with Abner FieUl,
afterwards State Treasurer ; in 1S21 was appointed
cashier of the newlj- establislied Branch State
Bank at Brownsville, Jackson County, but, in
1831, removed to Chicago, (lovernor Reynolds
having appointed him the first Probate Judge of
Cook County. At the same time he also held the
offices of Circuit and County Clerk. Recorder and
Commissioner of School lands — the sale of the
Chicago school section being made under his
administration. He was a Colonel of State militia
and. in 1832, took an active part in raising volun-
ters for defense during the Black Hawk War;
also was a candidate for the colonelcy of the
Fifth Regiment for the Mexican War (1847),
but was defeated by Colonel Newby. In 1H56
he was an unsuccessfvil candidate for Lieu-
tenant-Governor on the Democratic ticket. Died,
Dec. 26. 1860.

HAMILTON, William Stephen, pioneer — son
of Alexander Hamilton, first United States Secre-
tary of the Treasury — was born in New York
City, August 4, 1797; spent three years (1814 17),
at West Point ; came west and located at an early
day at Springfield, 111. ; was a deputy surveyor of
public lands, elected Representative from Sanga-
mon County, in the Fourtli (ieneral Assembly
(1824-26); in 1827 removed to the Lead Mine
region and engaged in mining at "Hamilton's
Diggings" (now Wiota) in southwe.st Wisconsin,
and occasionally practiced law at Galena ; was a
member of the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature
of 1842-43, emigrated to California in 1849, and
died in Sacramento, Oct. 9, LS.^O, where, some
twenty years later, a monument was erected to
his memory. Colonel Hamilton was an aid-de-
camp of Governor Coles, who sent him forward
to meet General La Fayette on his way from New
Orleans, on occasion of La Fayette's visit to Illi-
nois in IK25.

HAMILTON COUNTY, situated in the south-
eastern part of the State; has an area of 440
.square miles, and population (1890) of 17,800—
named for Alexander Hamilton. It was organ-
izeil in 1821, with McLeausboro as the county-
seat. Tlie surface of the county is rolling and
the fertile soil well watered and drained l)y
numerous creeks, flowing east and south into the
Wabash, which constitutes its southeastern



218



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



boundary. Coal crops out at various points in
the southwestern portion. Originally Hamilton
County was a dense forest, and timber is still
abundant and saw-mills numerous. Among the
hard woods found are black and white oak, black
walnut, ash and hickory. The softer woods are
in unusual variety. Corn and tobacco are the
principal crops, although considerable fruit is
cultivated, besides oats, winter wheat and pota-
toes. Sorghum is also extensively produced.
Among the pioneer settlers was a Mr. Auxier (for
whom a water course was named ) . in 1815 ; Adam
Crouch, the Biggerstaffs and T Stelle, in 1818,
and W. T. Golson and Louis Baxter, in 1821.
The most important town is McLeansboro, whose
population in 1800 was l.S.').^.

HAMMOND, Charles Goodrich, Railway Mana-
ger, was born at Bolton, Conn., June 4, 1804,
spent his youth in Chenango County, N. Y. ,
where he became Principal of the Whitesboro
Seminary (in which he was partially educated),
and entered mercantile life at Canandaigua;
in 1834 removed to Michigan, where he held
various offices, including member of the Legisla-
ture and Auditor; in IS.W completed the con
struction of the Michigan Central Railroad (the
first line from the East) to Chicago, and took up
his residence in that citj'. In 1855 he became
Superintendent of the Chicago. Burlington &
Quincy Railroad, but soon resigned to take a
trip to Europe for the benefit of his health.
Returning from Europe in 1869, he accepted the
Superintendency of the Union Pacific Railrokd.
but was compelled to resign by failing health, later
becoming Vice-President of the Pullman Palace
Car Company. He was Treasurer of the Chicago
Relief & Aid Society after the fire of 1871, and
one of the founders of the Chicago Theological
Seminary (Congregational) ; also President, for
several years, of the Chicago Home for the Friend-
less. Died, April 1.5, 1884.

HAMPSHIRE, a town of Kane County, on the
Omaha Division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St.
Paul Railway, 51 miles west-northwest from Chi-
cago. There are brick and tile works, a machine
shop and a lock factory here ; the dairy and stock
interests are also large. The place has a bank
and a weekly paper. Population (1880), 483;
(1890), 696.

HANCOCK COUNTY, on the western border of
the State, bounded on the west by the Mississippi
River; was organized in 1835 and named for John
Hancock ; has an area of 769 square miles ; popu-
lation (1890), 31,907. Its early settlers were
chiefly from the Middle and Southern States,



among them being I. J. Waggen, for nearly sixty
years a resident of Montebello Township. Black
Hawk, the famous Indian Chief, is reputed to
have been born within the limits of Camp Creek
Township, in this county. Fort Edwards was
erected on the present site of Warsaw, soon after
the War of 1813, but was shortly afterwards evac-
uated. Abraham Lincoln, a cousin of the Presi-
dent of that name, was one of the early settlers.
Among the earliest were John Day, Abraham
Brewer, Jacob Conipton, D. F. Parker, the Dixons,
Mendenhalls, I-ogans, and Luther Whitney.
James White, George Y. Cutler and Henry Nich-
ols were the first Commissioners. In 1839 the
Mormons crossed the Mississippi, after being
expelled from Missouri, and founded the city of
Nauvoo in this county. (See Mormons. Nauvoo. )
Carthage and Appanoose were surveyed and laid
out in 1835 and 1836. A ferry across the Missis-
sippi was established at Montebello (near the
present site of Hamilton) in 1839, ami another,
two years later, near the site of old Fort Edwards.
The county is crossed by six lines of railway, has
a fine public school system, numerous thriving
towns, and is among the wealthy counties of the
State.

HANDY, Moses Purnell, journalist, was born
at War.saw, Mo., April 14, 1847; before he was
one year old was taken back to Maryland, his
parents" native State. He was educated at Ports-
mouth, Va. , and was a student at the Virginia
Collegiate Institute at tlie breaking out of the
Civil War, when he joined the Confederate army
at the age of seventeen. When the war ended
Handy found himself penniless. He was school-
teacher and book-canvasser by turns, meantime
writing some for a New York paper. Later he
became a clerk in the office of "The Christian
Observer" in Richmond. In 1867. by some clever
reporting for "Tlie Richmond Dispatch," he was
able to secure a regular position on the local staff
of that paper, quickly gaining a reputation as a
successful reporter, and. in 1869, becoming city
editor. From this time until 1887 his promotion
was rapid, being employed at different times upon
many of the most prominent and influential
papers in the East, including "The New York
Tribune," "Richmond Enquirer." and, in Phila-
delphia, upon "The Times," "The Press" and
"Daily News. " In 1893, at the request of Director-
General Davis of the World's Columbian Exposi-
tion, Mr. Handy accepted the position of Chief of
the Department of Publicity and Promotion, pre
ferring this to the Consul-Generalship to Egypt,
tendered him about the same time by President



HISTORICAL ENCYC'LOl'EDIA (»F ILLINOIS.



21 'J



Harrison. Later, as a member of the National
Commission to Europe, he did much to arouse the
interest of foreign countries in the ExjKisition.
For some time after the World's Fair, he was
associate editor of "The Chicago Times-Herald."
In 1897, having been appointed by President
McKinley United States Commissioner to the
Paris Exposition of 1900. he visited Paris. Upon
his return to tliis country he found himself in
very poor health, and went Soutli in a vain
attempt to regain his lost strengtli and vigor, but
died, at Augusta, (ia.. Jan. 8. 1898.

HANKS, Dennis, pioneer, born in Hardin
County, Ky., May l^), 1799; was a cousin of the
mother of Abraham Lincoln and, although ten
years the senior of tlie latter, was his intimate
friend in boyhood. Being of a sportive disposi-
tion, he often led the future President in boyish
pranks. About 1818. he joined the Lincoln house-
hold in Spencer County. Ind.. and finally married
Sarah Johnston, the step-sister of Mr. Lincoln,
the families remt)ving to Macon County, 111.,
together, in 1830. A year or so later. Mr. Hanks
removed to Coles County, where he remained
until some three years before iiis death, wlien lie
went to reside with a daugliter at Paris. Edgar
County. It has been claimed that he first taught
the youthful Abraliam to read and write, and
this has secured for him the title of Mr. Lincoln's
teacher. He has also been credited with having
once saved Lincoln from death by drowning while
crossing a swollen stream. Austin Gollaher, a
school- and play -mate of Lincoln's, has also made
the same claim for himself— tlie two stories pre-
sumably referring to the same event After the
riot at Charleston, 111., in March. 1863, in which
several persons were killed. Hanks made a visit
to President Lincoln in Washington in the inter-
est of some of the arrested rioters, and, although
they were not immediately released, the fact tliat
they were ordered returned to Charleston for
trial and finally escaped punishment, has been
attributed to Hanks' influence with the President.
He died at Paris. Edgar County, Oct. 31. 1892. in
the 94th year of his age. as the result of injuries
received from being run over by a buggy while
returning from an Emancipation-Day celebra-
tion, near that city, on the 22d day of September
previous.

HANKS, John, pioneer, a cousin of the mother
of Abraham Lincoln, was born near Bardstown.
Ky., Feb. 9. 1802: joined the Lincolns in Spencer
County, Ind., in 1822. and made his home with
them two years; engaged in flat boating, making
numerous trips to New Orleans, in one of them



being accompanied by Abraham Lincoln, then
about 19 years of age, who then had his feelings
aroused against slavery by his first sight of a
slave-mart. In 1828 Mr. Hanks removed to
Macon County, 111., locating about four miles
west of Decatur, and it was partly througli his



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 45 of 207)