Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 46 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 46 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


influence that the Lincolns were induced to emi-
grate to the same locality in 1830. Hanks had
cut enough logs to biiild the Lincolns a house
when they arrived, and these were hauled by
Abraham Lincoln to the site of the liouse, which
was erected on the north bank of the Sangamon
River, near tlie present site of Harristown. Dur-
ing the following summer he and Abraham Lin-
coln worked together splitting rails to fence a
portion of the land taken up by the elder Lincoln
— some of these rails being the ones displayed
during the campaign of 1860. In 1831 Hanks and
Lincoln worked together in the construction of a
flat-boat on the Sangamon River, near Spring-
field, for a man named Offutt. which Lincoln took
to New Orleans — Hanks only going as far as
St. Louis, when he returned home. In 1832,
Hanks served as a soldier of the Mexican War in
the company commanded by Capt. I. C. Pugh.
afterwards Colonel of the Forty-first Illinois
Volimteer Infantry during the Civil War. Ho
followed the occupation of a farmer until 1850,
when he went to California, where he spent three
years, returning in 18.'")3. In 1861 he enlisted as
a soldier in the Twenty-first Illinois Volunteer
Infantry (afterwards commanded by General
Grant), but being already .59 years of age, was
placed by Grant in charge of tlie baggage-train,
in which capacity he remained two years, serving
in Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky.
Alabama and Mississijipi. While (rrant was with
the regiment. Hanks had charge of the staff team.
Being disabled by rheumatism, he was finally
discharged at Winchester. Tenn. He made
three trips to California after the war. Died,
July 1, 1891.

HANNIKAL & NAPLES RAILROAD. (See
^Vabash Railroad.)

HANON, Martin, pioneer, was born near Nash-
ville. Tenn., April, 1799; came with his father to
Gallatin County, Illinois Territory, in 1812. and,
in 1818, to what is now a portion of Christian
County, being the fir.st white .settler in that
region. Died, near Sharpsburg. Christian County,
April 5. 1879.

HANOVER, a village in Jo Daviess County, on
Apple River, 14 miles south-southeast of Galena.
It has a flouring mill and a woolen factory, be-
sides four churches and a gradeil school. The



220



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Township (also called Hanover) extends to the
Mississippi, and has a population of about 1,700.
Population of the village (1880). ir,S- (1890), 743.

HARDIN, the county-seat of Calhoun County,
situated in Hardin Township, on the west bank
of the Illinois River, some 30 miles northwest of
Alton. It has two churches, a graded school and
two newspaper offices. Population (1880), 500;
(1890), 311.

HARDIN, John J., lawyer. Congressman and
soldier, was born at Frankfort, Ky., Jan. 6, 1810.
After graduating from Transylvania University
and being admitted to the bar, he began practice
at Jacksonville, 111., in 1830; for several years he
was Prosecuting Attorney of Morgan County,
later being elected to the lower house of the
Legislature, where he served from 1836 to '42.
The latter year he was elected to Congress, his
term expiring in 1845. During the later period
of his professional career at Jacksonville he was
the partner of David A. Smith, a prominent law-
yer of that city, and had Richard Yates for a
pupil. At the outbreak of the Mexican War he
was commissioned Colonel of the First Illinois
Volunteers (June 30, 1846) and was killed on the
second day of the battle of Buena Vista (Feb. 27,
1847) while leading the final charge. His remains
were brought to Jacksonville and buried with
distinguished honors in the cemetery there, his
former pupil, Richard Yates, delivering the fu-
neral oration. — Gen. Martin D. (Hardin), soldier,
son of the preceding, was born in Jacksonville, 111. ,
June 26, 1837 ; graduated at West Point Military
Academy, in 1859, and entered the service as
brevet Second Lieutenant of the Third Artillery,
a few months later becoming full Second Lieu-
tenant, and, in May, 1861, First Lieutenant.
Being assigned to the command of volunteer
troops, he passed through various grades until
May, 1864, when he was brevetted Colonel of
Volunteers for meritorious conduct at North
River, Va., became Brigadier-General of Volun-
teers, July 2, 1864, was brevetted Brigadier-
General of the regular army in March, 1865,
for service during the war, and was finally mus-
tered out of the volunteer service in January,
1866. He continued in the regular service, how-
ever, until December 15. 1870, when he was
retired with the rank of Brigadier-General.
General Hardin lost an arm and suffered other
wounds during the war. His liome is in Chicago.
— Ellen Hardin (Walworth), author, daughter of
Col. John J. Hardin, was born in Jacksonville,
111., Oct. 20, 1883, and educated at the Female
Seminary in that place ; was married about 1854



to JIansfield Tracy Walworth (son of Chancellor
R. H. Walworth of New York). Her husband
became an author of considerable repute, chiefly in
the line of fiction, but was assassinated in 1873 by
a son who was acquitted of the charge of murder
on the ground of insanity. Mrs. Walworth is a
leader of the Daughters of the Revolution, and
has given much attention, of late years, to literary
pursuits. Among her works are accounts of the
Burgoyne Campaign and of the battle of Buena
Vista — the latter contributed to "The Magazine
of American HLstory"; a "Life of Col. John J.
Hardin and History of the Hardin Family,"
besides a number of patriotic and miscellaneous
poems and essays. She served for several years
as a member of the Board of Education, and was
for six years principal of a young ladies' school
at Saratoga Springs, N. Y.

HARDIN COUNTY, situated on the southeast
border of the State, and bounded on the east and
south by the Ohio River. It has an area of 194
square miles, and was named for a county in
Kentucky. The surface is broken by ridges and
deep gorges, or ravines, and well timbered with
oak, hickory, elm, maple, locust and cotton-
wood. Corn, wheat and oats are the staple
agricultural products. The minerals found are
iron, coal and lead, liesides carboniferous lime-
stone of tlie Keokuk group. Elizabethtown is
the county-seat. Population (1880), 6,024; (1890),
7,234.

HARDING, Abner Clark, soldier and Member
of Congress, born in East Hampton, Middlesex
County, Conn., Feb. 10, 1807; was educated chiefly
at Hamilton Academy, N. Y. . and, after practic-
ing law for a time, in Oneida County, removed to
Illinois, resuming practice and managing several
farms for twenty-five years. He was also a mem-
ber of the State Constitutional Convention of
1847 from Warren County, and of the lower
branch of the Sixteenth General Assembly
(1848-50). Between 1850 and 1860 he was engaged
in railroad enterprises. In 1862 he enlisted as a
private in the Eighty-third Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, was commissioned Colonel and, in less
than a year, was promoted to Brigadier-General.
In 1864 he was elected to Congress and re-elected
in 1866. He did much for the development of tlie
western part of the State in the construction of
railroads, the Peoria & Oquawka (now a part of
the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy) being one of
the lines constructed by him. He left a fortune
of about 52,000,000, and, before his death, en-
dowed a professorship in Monmouth College.
Died, July 19, 1874.



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



rzi



HARGRAVE, Willis, pioneer, caine from Ken-
tucky to Illinois in 1816, .settling near Carnii in
White County; served in the Third Territorial
Legislature (1817-18; and in the First General
Assembly of the State (1818-2U). His business-
life in Illinois was devoted to farming and salt-
manufacture,

HARLAN, James, statesman, was born in Clark
County, 111., August 2.5, 1820; graduated at Asbury
University, Ind. ; was State Superintendent of
Public Instruction in Iowa (1847), President of
Iowa Wesleyan University (18.")3), United States
Senator (1855-65), Secretary of the Interior
(1865-66), but re-elected to the Senate the latter
year, and, in 1869, chosen President of Iowa Uni-
versity. He was also a member of the Peace
Conference of 1861, and a delegate to the Phila-
delphia Loyalists" Convention of 1866; in 1873,
after leaving the Senate, was editor of "The
Washington Chronicle," and, from 1883 to 1885.
presiding Judge of the Court of Commissioners of
the Alabama Claims. A daugliter of ex-Senator
Harlan married Hon. Robert. T. Lincoln, son of
President Lincoln, and (1889-93) United States
Minister to England. Mr. Harlan's home is at
Mount Pleasant, Iowa. Died. Oct. 5, 1899.

HARLAN, Justin, jurist, was born in Ohio
about 1801 and, at the age of 25, settled in Clark
County, 111. ; served in tlie Black Hawk War of
1832 and, in 1835, was appointed a Justice of the
Circuit Court; was a Delegate to the Constitu-
tional Convention of 1847 and the following year
was elected to the Circuit bench under the new
Constitution, being re-elected in 1855. In 1863
he was appointed by President Lincoln Indian
Agent, continuing in office until 1865; in 1873
was elected Comity Judge of Clark County.
Died, while on a visit in Kentucky, in March,
1879.

HARLOW, George H., ex-Secretary of State.
born at Sackett's Harbor. N. Y., in 1830, removed
County. 111., in 18.54, and engaged in
i a commission merchant ; also served
a term as Mayor of Pekin. For many years he
took a prominent part in the history of the State.
Early in the "eO's he was one of seven to organize,
at Pekin, the "Union League of America." a
patriotic secret organization sworn to preserve
the Union, working in harmony with the war
party and against the "Sons of Liberty." In
1863 he enlisted, and was about to go to the front,
when Governor Yates requested him to remain at
home and continue his effective work in the
Union League, saying that he could accomplish
more for the cause in this wav than in the field.



.Vocordingly Mr. Harlow continued to labor as an
organizer, and the League bei-ame a powerful
factor in State politics. In 1865 he was made
First Assistant Secretary of the State Senate,
but soon after became Governor Oglesby's private
secretary. For a time he also served as Inspector-
General on the Governor's staff, and had charge
of the troops as they were mustered out. During
a portion of Mr. Rummers term (1869-73) as Secre-
tary of State, he served as Assistant Secretary,
and, in 1872, was elected as successor to Secretary
Rummel and re-elected in 1876. While in Spring-
field he acted as correspondent for several news-
papers, and, for a year, was city editor of "The
Illinois State Journal." In 1881 he took up his
residence in Chicago, where he was engaged at
different periods in the commission and real
estate business, but has been retired of late years
on account of ill health.

HARPER, William H., legislator and commis-
sion merchant, born in Tippecanoe County, Ind.,
May 4, 1845; was brought by his parents in boy-
hood to Woodford County, 111., and served in the
One Hundred and Forty -fifth Illinois Volunteers ;
took a course in a commercial college and engaged
in the stock and grain-shipping business in Wood-
ford County until 1868, when he entered upon the
commission business in Chicago. From 1873 to
'75 he served, by appointment of the Governor,
as Chief of the Grain Inspection Department of
the city of Chicago; in 1883 was elected to the
Thirty-third General Assembly and re-elected in
1884. During his first term in the Legislature,
Mr. Harper introduced and secured the passage
of the "High License Law," which has received
his name. Of late years he has been engaged in
the grain commission business in Chicago.

HARPER, William Rainey, clergyman and
educator, was born at New Concord, Ohio, July
26, 18.56; graduated at Muskingum College at the
age of 14, delivering the Hebrew oration, this
being one of the principal commencement honors
in that institution. After three years' private
study he took a post-graduate course in philology
at Yale, receiving the degree of Ph.D., at the age
of 19. For several years he was engaged in
teaching, at Macon, Tenn., and Denison Uni-
versity, Ohio, meanwhile continuing his philo-
logical studies and devoting special attention to
Hebrew. In 1879 he accepted the chair of
Hebrew in the Baptist Union Theological Semi-
nary at Morgan Park, a suburb of Chicago. Here
he laid the foundation of the "inductive method"
of Hebraic study, which rapidly grew in favor.
The school by correspondence was known as the



322



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OP ILLINOIS.



"American Institute of Hebrew," and increased
so rapidly that, by 1885, it had enrolled 800 stu-
dents, from all parts of the world, many leading
professors co-operating. In 1886 he accepted the
professorship of Semitic Language and Literature
at Yale University, having in tlie previous year
become Principal of the Chautauqua College of
Liberal Arts, and, in 1891, Principal of the
entire Chautauqua system. During the winters
of 1889-91, Dr. Harper delivered courses of lec-
tures on the Bible in various cities and before
several universities and colleges, having been,
in 1889, made Woolsey Professor of Biblical
Literature at Yale, although still filling his
former chair. In 1891 he accepted an invitation
to the Presidency of the then incipient new Chi-
cago University, which has rapidly increased in
wealth, extent and influence. (See University
of Chicago.) He is also at present (1899) a mem-
ber of the Cliicago Board of Education. Dr.
Harper is the author of numerous philological
text-books, relating chiefly to Hebrew, but ap-
plying the "inductive method"' to the study of
Latin and Greek, and has also sought to improve
the study of English along these same lines. In
addition, he has edited two scientific periodicals,
and published numerous monographs.

HABRIS, Thomas L., lawyer, soldier and Mem-
ber of Congress, was born at Norwich, Conn.,
Oct. 29, 1816; graduated at Trinity College, Hart-
ford, in 1841, studied law with Gov. Isaac Toucey,
and was admitted to the bar in Virginia in 1842,
the same year removing to Petersburg, Menard
County, 111. Here, in 1845, he was elected School
Commissioner, in 1846 raised a company for the
Mexican War, joined the Fourth Regiment (Col.
E. D. Baker's) and was elected Major. He was
present at the capture of Vera Cruz and tlie
battle of Cerro Gordo, after the wounding of
General Shields at the latter, taking conmiand of
the regiment in place of Colonel Baker, who had
assumed command of the brigade. During his
absence in the army (1846) he was chosen
to the State Senate; in 1848 was elected to
the Thirty-first Congress, but was defeated by
Richard Yates in 1850; was re-elected in 1854,
'56, and "58, but died Nov. 24, 1858, a few days after
his fourth election and before completing his
preceding term.

HARRIS, William Logan, Methodist Episcopal
Bishop, born near Mansfield, Ohio, Nov. 14, 1817;
was educated at Norwalk Seminary, licensed to
preach in 1836 and soon after admitted to the
Michigan Conference, being transfeiTed to the
Ohio Conference in 1840. In 1845-46 he was a



tutor in the Ohio 'Wesleyan University; then,
after two years' pastoral work and some three
years as Principal of Baldwin Seminary, in 1851
returned to the "Wesleyan, filling the position
first of Principal of the Academic Department
and then a professorship; was Secretary of the
General Conferences (1856-72) and, during 1860-72,
Secretary of the Church Missionary Society ; in
1872 was elected Bishop, and visited the Methodist
Mission stations in China, Japan and Europe;
joined the Illinois Conference in 1874, remaining
until his death, which occurred in New York,
Sept. 2, 1887. Bishop Harris was a recognized au-
thority on Methodist Church law, and published
a small work entitled "Powers of the General
Conference" (1859), and, in connection with
Judge William J. Henry, of this State, a treatise
on "Ecclesiastical Law," having special refer-
ence to the Methodist Church.

HARRISBURG, county-seat of Saline County,
on the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St.
Louis Raihvay, 70 miles northeast of Cairo. The
surrounding country is devoted to agriculture
and fruit-growing, and valuable deposits of salt,
coal and iron are found in the vicinity. Tlie
town has flour and saw-mills, brick and tile
works, carriage and other wood working estab-
lishments, two banks and three weekly news-
papers. Population (1880), 934; (1890), 1,723.

HARRISON, Carter Henry, politician, Con-
gressman and Mayor of Chicago, was born in
Fayette County, Ky., Feb. 15, 1825; at the age of
20 years graduated from Yale College and began
reading law, but later engaged in farming. After
spending two years in foreign travel, he entered
the Law Department of Transylvania University,
at Lexington, Ky., and, after graduation, settled
at Chicago, where he soon became an operator in
real estate. In 1871 he was elected a Commis-
sioner of Cook County, serving three years. In
1874 he again visited Europe, and, on his return,
was elected to Congress as a Democrat, being
re-elected in 1876. In 1879 he was chosen Mayor
of Chicago, filling that office for four successive
biennial terms, but was defeated for re-election
in 1887 by his Republican competitor, John A.
Roche. He was the Democratic candidate for
Governor in 1888, but failed of election. He
thereafter made a trip around the world, and, on
his return, published an entertaining account of
his journey under the title, "A Race with the
Sun." In 1891 he was an Independent Demo-
cratic candidate for the Chicago mayoralty, but
was defeated by Hempstead Washburne, Repub-
lican. In 1893 he received the regular nomina-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



22;j



tion of his party for the office, and was elected.
In 1893, in connection with a few associates, he
purchased the plant of "The Chicago Times, ' ' plac-
ing his sons in charge. He was a man of strong
character and intense personality, making warm
friends and bitter enemies : genial, generous and
kindly, and accessible to any one at all times, at
either his office or his home. Taking advantage
of this latter trait, one Prendergast. on the night
of Oct. 38, 1893— immediately following the clos-
ing exercises of the World's Columbian Exposition
— gained admission to his residence, and, without
the slightest provocation, shot him down in his
library. He lived but a few hours. The assassin
was subsequently tried, convicted and hung,

HARRISON, William Henry, first Governor of
the Territory of Indiana (including the present
State of Illinois), and ninth President of the United
States, was born at Berkeley, Charles City
County, Va., Feb. 9, 1773— the son of Benjamin
Harrison, one of the signers of the Declaration of
Independence. He was educated at Hampden
Sidney College, Va. , and began the study of medi-
cine but never finished it. On August 16, 1791,
he was commissioned Ensign in the First United
States Infantry, and at once joined his regiment
at Fort Washington, Ohio. The following year
he was commissioned Lieutenant, and appointed
Aid-de-camp to Gen. Anthony Wayne, who
officially complimented him for his gallantry in
the battle of the Miami. In May, 1797, he was
made Captain and placed in command of Fort
Washington. While stationed here, he formed
an attachment for Miss Anna Symmes, and tlie
match being opposed by the lady's father, eloped
with and married her. On June 1, 1798, he
resigned his commission, but was immediately
appointed by President Adams, Secretary of the
Northwest Territory, under Governor St. Clair.
This post he resigned in 1799, to take his seat in
Congress as Territorial Delegate. While he was
so serving, the Territory of Indiana was created
out of a portion of the Northwest Territory, and
Harrison was appointed its first Governor, being
reappointed by Presidents Jefferson and Madison.
This territory included the present States of
Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin. Gov-
ernor Harrison's administration was wise and
efficient. His policy toward the Indians was
conciliatory and statesmanlike, and he negotiated
many important treaties with them. (See Indian
Treaties.) The savages becoming unruly, how-
ever, he led a force against them, and, Nov. 7,
1811, won a decisive victory over Tecumseh and
his brother, "The Prophet," at Tippecanoe, near



the present site of Lafayette, Ind. He took a
prominent part in the War of 1813, being com-
missioned Major-General, and, by his victory at
the battle of the Thames, in 1813, materially
aided in giving tlie United States possession of
the chain of lakes above Erie. For this service
Congress awarded him a gold medal. In 1814 he
resigned his commission, because of a disagree-
ment with the Secretary of War, and, in 1HI6,
was elected to Congress, serving until 1819. In
the latter year he was chosen State Senator in
Ohio, and, in 1832, was defeated for Congress be-
cause of his anti-slavery record. In 1834 he was
a Presidential Elector on the Henry Clay ticket,
and the same year was sent to the United States
Senate. He resigned his seat in 1838 on being
appointed Minister to the United States of Colom-
bia, — holding the position for less than a year.
Returning to the United .States in 1839, he was
elected County Clerk of Hamilton County, Ohio,
serving twelve years. In 1836 he was defeated
for the Presidency on the Whig ticket by Van
Buren, but was triumphantly elected in 1810.
Died, at Washington, D. C, April 4, 1841, one
month after his inauguration as President.

HARTZELL, William, Congressman, was born
in Stark County, Ohio, Feb. 30, 1837. When he
was three years old his parents removed to lUi
nois, and, four years later (1844) to Texas. In
1853 he returned to Illinois, settling in Randolph
County, which became his permanent home. He
was brought up on a farm, but graduated at Mc-
Kendree College, Lebanon, in June, 18.59. Five
years later he was admitted to the bar, and began
practice. He was Representative in Congress for
two terms, being elected as a Democrat, in 1874,
and again in 1876.

HARVARD, an incorporated city in McIIenry
County, 63 miles northwest of Chicago on the
Chicago & Northwestern Railway. It was incor-
porated in 1891, and has electric lights, an artesian
water system, two weekly newspapers and vari-
ous manufacturing establishments, among them
a flouring mill, a carriage-wheel factory and sew-
ing machine works. The surrounding region is
agricultural. Population ( 1880), 1,607; (1890), 1,967.

HASKELL, Harriet Newell, educator and third
Principal of Monticello Female Seminary, was
born at Waldboro, Lincoln County, Maine, Jan. 14,
1835; educated at Castleton Seminary. Vt. , and
Mount Holyoke Seminary, Mass., graduating
from the latter in 1855. Later, she served as
Principal of high schools in Maine and Boston
until 1862, when she was called to the principal-
ship of Castleton Seminary. She resigned this



224



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



position in 1867 to assume a similar one at Monti-
cello Female Seminary, at Godfrey. 111., where
she has since remained. The main building of
this institution liaving been burned in Novem-
ber, 1889, it was rebuilt on an enlarged and
improved plan, largely through the earnest efforts
of Miss Haskell. (See Monticello Female Semi-
nary.)

HATCH, Ozias Mather, Secretary of the State
of Illinois (185T'65), was born at Hillsborough
Center, N. H., April 11, 1814, and removed to
Griggsville, 111., in 1836. In 1829 he began life as
a clerk for a wholesale and retail grocer in Bos-
ton. From 1836 to 1841 he was engaged in store-
keeping at Griggsville. In the latter year he was
appointed Circuit Court Clerk of Pike County,
holding the office seven years. In 1808 he again
embarked in business at Meredosia, 111. In 1850
he was elected to the Legislature, serving one
term. An earne.st anti-slavery man, he was, in
1856, nominated by the newly organized Repub-
lican party for Secretary of State and elected,
being re-elected in 1860, on the same ticket with
Mr. Lincoln, of whom he was a warm personal
friend and admirer. During the war he gave a
zealous and effective support to Governor Yates'
administration. In 1864 he declined a renomi-
nation and retired from political life. He was an
original and active member of the Lincoln Monu-
ment Association from its organization in 1865 to
his death, and, in company with Gov. R. J.
Oglesby, made a canvass of Eastern cities to col-
lect funds for statuary to be placed on the monu-
ment. After retiring from office he was interested



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 46 of 207)