Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 48 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 48 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the "Illinois Country" on foot to Kaskaskia and
finally to St. Louis, where he joined another
brother (Edward), with whom lie soon began the
study of law. Having been admitted to the bar
in both Missouri Territory and Illinois, lie re-
moved to St. Genevieve, where he held the office
of Prosecuting Attorney by appointment of the
Governor, but returned to St. Louis in 1818-19
and later became a member of the Missouri Legis-
lature. In 1829 Mr. Hempstead located at Galena,
111,, which continued to be his home for the re-
mainder of his life, and where he was one of the
earliest and best known lawyers. The late Minis-
ter E. B. Washburne became a clerk in Mr.
Hempstead's law office in 1840, and, in 1845, a
partner. Mr. Hempstead was one of the pro-
moters of the old Chicago & Galena Union Rail-
road (now a part of the Chicago* Northwestern),
serving upon the first Board of Directors; was
eleoted the first Mayor of Galena in 1841, and, in
the early days of the Civil War, was appointed
by President Lincoln a Paymaster in the Army.
Died, in Galena, Dec. 10, 1874.— Edward (Hemp-
stead), an older brotlier of tlie preceding, already
mentioned, came west in 1804, and, after liolding
various positions at Vincennes. Indiana Territory,
under Gov. 'Williani Henry Harrison, located at
St Louis and became the first Territorial
Delegate in Congress from Missouri Territory
(1811-14). His death occurred as the result of an
accident, August 10, 1817.— Stephen (Hemp-
stead), another member of this historic family,
Avas Governor of Iowa from 18.50 to '54. Died.
Feb. 10, 1883.

HEXDERSOX, Thomas J., ex-Congressman,
was born at Brownsville, Tenu., Nov. 19, 1824;
came to Illinois in 1837, and was reared upon a
farm, but received an academic education. In
1847 he was elected Clerk of the County Com-
missioners' Court of Stark County, and, in 1849,
Clerk of the County Court of the same county,
serving in that capacitj' for four years. Mean
while he had studied law and had been admitted
to the bar in 1852. In 1855 and '56 he was a
member of the lower house of the Legislature,
and State Senator from 1857 to '60. He entered
the Union army, in 1862, as Colonel of the One
Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Volunteers, and



served until the close of the war, being brevetted
Brigadier-General in January, 1865. He was a
Republican Presidential Elector for the State at-
large in 1868, and, in 1874, was elected to Congress
from the Seventh Illinois District, serving con-
tinuously until March, 1895. His home is at
Princeton.

HENDERSON, William H., politician and legis-
lator, was born in Garrard County, Ky., Nov. 16,
1793. After serving in the War of 1812, he settled
in Tennessee, where he held many positions of
public trust, including that of State Senator. In
1836 he removed to Illinois, and, two years later,
was elected to tlie General Assembly as Repre-
sentative from Bureau and Putnam Counties,
being reelected- in 1840, In 1842 he was the
unsuccessful Whig candidate for Lieutenant-
Governor, being defeated by John Moore. In
1845 he migrated to h)wa, where he died in 1864.

HENDERSON COUNTY, a county comprising
380 square miles of territorj-, located in the west-
ern section of the State and bordering on the Mis-
sissippi River. The first settlements were made
about 1827-28* at Yellow Banks, now Oquawka.
Immigration was checked by the Black Hawk
War, but revived after the removal of the Indians
across the Mississippi. The county was set off
from Warren in 1841, with Oquawka as the
county-seat. Population (1880), 10,722; (1890),
9,876. The soil is fertile, and underlaid by lime-
stone. The surface is undulating, and well tim-
bered.

HENNEPIN, tlie county-.seat of Putnam
County, situated on the left bank of the Illinois
River, about twenty-eight miles below Ottawa.
100 miles southwest of Chicago, and three miles
southeast of Bureau Junction. It has a court
house, a bank, three churches, a graded school
and a weekly newspaper office. It is a prominent
shipping point for produce by the river. Tlie
Hennepin Canal, now in process of construction
from the Illinois River to the Mississippi at the
mouth of Rock River, leaves the Illinois about
two miles above Hennepin. Population (1880),
623; (1890). 574.

HENNEPIN, Louis, a Franciscan (Recollect)
friar and explorer, born at Atli, Belgium, about
1640. After several years of clerical .service in
Belgium and Holland, he was ordered (1675) by
his ecclesiastical superiors to proceed to Canada.
In 1679 he ai-companied La Salle on his explo
rations of the great lakes and the upper Jlissis-
sippi. Having reached the Illinois by way of
Lake Michigan, early in the following year ( 1680 ) ,
La Salle proceeded to construct a fort on the east



230



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



side of the Illinois River, a little below the
present site of Peoria, which afterwards received
the name of Fort Creve-Coeur. In February.
1680, Father Hennepin was dispatched by La
Salle, with two companions, by way of the
mouth of the Illinois, to explore the upper Mis-
sissippi. Ascending the latter stream, his party
was captured by the Sioux and carried to the
villages of that tribe among the Minnesota lakes,
but finally rescued. During his captivity he
discovered the Falls of St. Anthony, wliich he
named. After his rescue Hennepin returned to
Quebec, and thence sailed to France. There he
published a work describing La Salle's first
expedition and his own explorations. Althougli
egotistical and necessarily incorrect, this work
was a valuable contribution to history. Because
of ecclesiastical insubordination he left France
for Holland. In 1697 he published an extraordi
nary volume, in which he set forth claims as a
discoverer which have been wholly discrediteil.
His third and last work, published at Utrecht, in
1698, was entitled a "New Voyage in a Country
Larger than Europe." It was a compilation
describing La Salle's voyage to the mouth of the
Mississippi. His three works have been trans-
lated into twenty-four different languages. He
died, at Utrecht, between 1702 and 1705.

HENNEPIX CANAL. (See IlUnuix & .Vm-iV
sippi Canal.)

HENBY, a city in Marshall County, situated on
the west bank of the Illinois River and on the
Peoria branch of the Chicago, Rock Island &
Pacific Railway, 33 miles north-northeast of
Peoria. There is a combination bridge, lock
and dam across the river at tliis point. It has
grain elevators, flour mills, a wind-mill fac-
tory, a national bank, eight churches and two
newspapers, besides one monthly publica-
tion. It is also the seat of Marshall College,
founded in 18.55. Population (1880), 1,728;
(1890), 1,512.

HEJf RY, James D., pioneer and soldier, was born
in Pennsylvania, came to Illinois in 1822, locating
at Edwardsville, where, being of limited educa-
tion, he labored as a mechanic during the day
and attended school at night; engaged in mer-
chandising, removed to Springfield in 1826, and
was soon after elected Sheriff ; served in the Win-
nebago War (1827) as Adjutant, and, in the
Black Hawk War (1831-32) as Lieutenant-Colonel
and Colonel, finally being placed in command of
a brigade at the battle of Wisconsin and the Bad
Axe, his success in both winning for him great
popularity. His exposures brought on disease of



tlie lungs, and, going South, he died at New
Orleans, March 4, 1834.

HENRY COUNTY, one of the middle tier of
counties of Northern Illinois, near the western
border of the State, having an area of 830 square
miles, — named for Patrick Henry. The Ameri-
can pioneer of the region was Dr. Baker, who
located in 1835 on what afterwards became tlie
town of Colona. During the two years following
several colonies from tlie eastern States settled at
different points (Geneseo, Wethersfield, etc.;.
The act creating it was passed in 1825, though
organization was not completed until 1837. The
first county court was held at Daj'ton. . Subse-
quent county-seats have been Richmond (1837) ;
Geneseo (1840); Morristown (1842); and Cam-
bridge (1843). Population (1870), 36,597; (1890),
33,338.

HERNDON, Archer G., one of the celebrated
'"Long Nine" members of the General Assembly
of 1836-37, was born in Culpepper County, Va.,
Feb. 13, 1795; spent his youth in Green County,
Ky., came to Madison County, 111., 1820, and to
Sangamon in 1821, becoming a citizen of Spring-
field in 1825, where he engaged in mercantile
business; served eight years in the State Senate
(1834-42), and as Receiver of the Land Office
1842-49. Died, Jan. 3, 1867. Mr. Herndon was
the father of William H. Herndon, the law part-
ner of Abraham Lincoln.

HERNDON, WlUiam H,, lawyer, was born at
Greensburg, Ky., Dec. 25, 1818; brought to Illi-
nois by liis father, Archer G. Herndon, in 1820,
and to Sangamon County in 1821 ; entered Illinois
College in 1836, but remained only one year on
account of his father's hostility to the supposed
abolition influences prevailing at that institution ;
spent several years as clerk in a store at Spring-
field, studied law two years with the firm of Lin-
coln & Logan (1842-44), was admitted to the bar
and became the partner of Mr. Lincoln, so con-
tinuing vintil the election of the latter to the
Presidency. Mr. Herndon was a radical oppo-
nent of slavery and labored zealously to promote
the advancement of his distinguished partner.
The offices he held were tliose of City Attorney,
Mayor and Bank Commissioner under three Gov-
ernors. Some years before his death he wrote,
and, in conjunction with Jesse W. Weik, published
a Life of Abraham Lincoln in three volumes —
afterwards revised and issued in a two-volume
edition by the Messrs. Appleton, New York.
Died, near Springfield, March 18. 1891.

HERRINGTON, Augustus M., lawyer and poli-
tician, was born at or near Meadville, Pa., in 1823;



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



231



when ten years of age was brought by his fatlier
to Chicago, tlie family removing two years later
(1835) to Geneva. Kane County, where the elder
Herringtou opened the first store. Augustus was
admitted to tlie bar in 1844 ; obtained great promi-
nence as a Democratic politician, serving as
Presidential Elector for the Stateat-large in
1856, and as a delegate to Democratic National
Conventions in 1860. "64, "68, '76 and "80, and was
almost invariably a member of the State Conven-
tions of his party during the same period. He
also served for many years as Solicitor of the
Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. Died, at Ge-
neva. Kane County. August 14. 1883. — James
(Herrington), brother of the preceding, was liorn
in Mercer County, Pa.. June 6, 1824; came to
Chicago in 1833, but. two years later, was taken
by his parents to Geneva, Kane County. In 1843
he was apprenticed to the printing business on
the old "Chicago Democrat" (John Wentworth,
publisher), remaining until 1848. when lie returned
to Geneva, where he engaged in farming, being
also connected for a year or two with a local
paper. In 1849 he was elected County Clerk, re-
maining in office eight years; also served three
terms on the Board of Supervisors, later serving
continuously in the lower branch of the General
Assembly from 1872 to 1886. He was also a mem-
ber of the State Board of Agriculture and a fre-
quent delegate to Democratic State Conventions.
Died. July 7. 1890.— James Herrington, Sr.,
fatlier of the two preceding, was a Representative
in the Fifteenth General Assembly (1846-48) for
the District embracing the counties of Kane,
McHenry, Boone and De Kalb.

HERTZ, Henry L., ex-State Treasurer, was
born at Copenhagen. Denmark, in 1847; gradu-
ated from the University of Copenhagen in 1866,
and after pursuing the study of medicine for two
years, emigrated to this country in 1869. After
various experiences in selling sewing-machines.
as bank-clerk, and as a farm-hand, in 1876 Mr.
Hertz was employed in the Recorder's office of
Cook County; in 1878 was record-writer in the
Criminal Court Clerk's office ; in 1884 was elected
Coroner of Cook County, and re-elected in 1888.
In 1892. as Republican candidate for State Treas-
urer, he was defeated, but. in 1896, again a
candidate for the same office, was elected by a
majority of 115,000. serving until 1899. He is
now a resident of Chicago.

HESIXG, Antone Caspar, journalist and politi-
cian, was born in Prussia in 1823; left an orphan at
the age of 15, he soon after emigrated to America,
landing at Baltimore and going thence to Cin^



cinnati. From 1840 to 1842 he worked in a gro-
cery store in Cincinnati, and later opened a small
hotel. In 1854 he removed to Chicago, where he
was for a time engaged in the manufacture of
brick. In 1860 he was elected Sheriff of Cook
County, as a Republican. In 1862 he purchased
an interest in "The Chicago Staats Zeitung,"
and in 1867 became sole proprietor. In 1871 he
admitted his son, Washington Hesing, to a part-
nership, installing him as general manager.
Died, in Chicago, March 31, 1895.— Washington
(Hesing), son of the preceding, was born in Cin-
cinnati, Ohio, May 14, 1849, educated at Chicago
and Yale College, graduating from the latter in
187J). After a year spent in study abroad, he
returned to Chicago and began work upon "The
Staats Zeitung. " later becoming managing editor,
and finally editor-in-chief. While yet a young
man he was made a member of the Chicago
Board of Education, but declined to serve a
second term. In 1872 he entered actively into
politics, making speeches in both English and
German in support of General Grant's Presi-
dential candidacy. Later ho affiliated with the
Democratic party, as did his father, and, in 1893,
was an unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic
nomination for the Chicago mayoralty, being
defeated by Carter H. Harrison. In December,
1893, he was appointed by President Cleveland
Postmaster of the city of Chicago, serving four
years. His administration was characterized by
a high degree of efficiency and many improve-
ments in the service were adopted, one of the
most important being the introduction of postal
cars on the street-railroads for the collection of
mail matter. In April, 1897, he became an Inde-
pendent candidate for Mayor, but was defeated
by Carter H. Harrison, the regular Democratic
nominee. Died. Dec. 18. 1897.

HETWORTH, a village of McLean County, on
the Illinois Central Railway, 10 miles south of
Bloomington. The place has a bank and a news-
paper. Population (1880). 560; (1890), 566.

HIBBARD, Homer Nash, lawyer, was bom at
Bethel, Windsor County, Vt., Nov. 7, 1824, his
early life being spent upon a farm and in attend-
ance upon the common schools. After a short
term in an academy at Randolph, Vt. , at the age
of 18 he began the study of law at Rutland— -also
fitting himself for college with a private tutor.
Later, having obtained means by teaching, he
took a course in Castleton Academy and Ver
mont University, graduating from the latter in
1850. Then, having spent some years in teach-
ing, he entered tbe Dane Law School at Harvard,



J32



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



later continuing his studies at Burlington and
finally, in the fall of 1853, removing to Chicago.
Here he opened a law office in connection with
his old classmate, the late Judge John A. Jame-
son, but early in the following year removed to
Freeport, where he subsequently served as City
Attorney, Master in Chancery and President of
the City School Board. Returning to Chicago in
1860, he became a member of the law firm of
Cornell, Jameson & Hibbard, and still later the
head of the firm of Hibbard, Rich & Noble. In
1870 he was appointed by Judge Drummond
Register in Bankruptcy for the Chicago District,
serving during the life of the law. He was also,
for some time, a Director of the National B^nk
of Illinois, and Vice-President of the American
Insurance Company. Died, Nov. 14, 1897.

HICKS, Stephen (J., lawyer and soldier of
three wars, vs'as born in Jackson County, Ga.,
Feb. 22, 1807— the son of John Hicks, one of tlie
seven soldiers killed at the battle of New Orleans,
Jan. 8, 1815. Leaving the roof of a step-father
at an early age, he found his way to Illinois,
working for a time in the lead mines near Galena,
and later at the carpenter's trade with an uncle ;
served as a Sergeant in the Black Hawk War,
finally locating in Jefferson County, where he
studied law and was admitted to the bar. Here
he was elected to the lower branch of the Twelfth
General Assembly (1840) and re-elected succes-
sively to the Thirteenth and Fourteenth. Early
in the Mexican War (1846) he recruited a com-
pany for the Tliird Regiment, of which he was
chosen Captain, a year later becoming Lieuten-
ant-Colonel of the Sixth. At the beginning of
the Civil War Colonel Hicks was practicing his
profession at Salem, Marion County. He
promptly raised a company which became a part
of the Fortieth Regiment Volunteer Infantry, of
which he was commissioned Colonel. The regi-
ment saw active service in the campaign in West-
ern Tennessee, including the battle of Shiloh,
where Colonel Hicks was dangerously wounded
through the lungs, only recovering after eome
months in hospital and at his home. He rejoined
his regiment in July following, but found him-
self compelled to accept an honorable discharge,
a few months later, on account of disability.
Having finally recovered, he was restored to his
old command, and served to the close of the war.
In October, 1863, he was placed in command at
Paducah, Ky., %vhere he remained eighteen
months, after which he was transferred to Colum-
bus, Ky. While in command at Paducah, the
place was desperately assaulted by the rebel



Colonel Forrest, but successfully defended, the
rebel assailants sustaining a loss of some 1,200
killed and wovinded. After the war Colonel
Hicks returned to Salem, where he died, Dec. 14,
1869, and was buried, in accordance with his
request, in the folds of the American flag. Born
on Washington's birthday, it is a somewhat
curious coincidence that the death of this brave
soldier should have occurred on the anniversary
of that of the "Father of His Country."

HIUBEE, Chauncey L., lawyer and Judge, was
born in Clermont County, Ohio, Sept. 7, 1821,
and settled in Pike County, lU., in 1844. He
early took an interest in politics, being elected to
the lower house of the Legislature in 1854, and
two }'ears later to the State Senate. In 1861 he
was elected Judge of the Fifth Circuit Court, and
was re-elected in 1867. '73, and '79. In 1877, and
again in '79, he was assigned to the bench of the
Appellate Court. Died, at Pittsfield, Dec. 7, 1884.

HIGGINS, Tan Hollis, lawyer, was born in
Genessee County, N. Y., and received his early
education at Auburn and Seneca Falls ; came to
Chicago in 1837 and, after spending some time as
clerk in his brother's store, taught some months
in Vermilion County: then went to St. Louis,
where he spent a year or two as reporter on "The
Missouri Argus," later engaging in commercial
pursuits; in 1842 removed to Iroquois County,
111., where he read law and was admitted to the
bar; in 1845, established himself in practice in
Galena, served two years as City Attorney there,
but returned to Chicago in 1852, where he contin-
ued to reside for the remainder of his life. In 1858
he was elected as a Republican Representative in
the Twenty-first General Assembly ; served sev-
eral years as Judge of the Chicago City Court,
and was a zealous supporter of the Government
during the War of the Rebellion. Judge Higgins
was successful as a lawyer and business man, and
was connected with a number of important busi-
ness enterprises, especially in connection with
real-estate operations; was also a member of sev-
eral local societies of a professional, social and
patriotic character. Died, at Darien, Wis. , April
17, 1898.

HIGGIIVSON, Charles M., civil engineer and
Assistant Railway President, was born in Chica-
go, July 11, 1846 — t he son of George M.Higginson,
who located in Chicago about 1843 and engaged
in the real-estate business ; was educated at tlie
Lawrence Scientific School, Cambridge, Mass.,
and entered the engineering department of the
Burlington & Missouri River Railroad in 1867,
remaining until 1875.- He then became the pur-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



233



chasing agent of the Toledo, Peoria & Warsaw
Railroad, but, a j'ear later, returned to Chicago,
and soon after assumed the same position in con-
nection with the Chicago. Burlington & Quincy.
being transferred to the Auditorship of the
latter road in 1879. Later, lie became assistant
to President Ripley of the Atchison, Topeka &
Santa Fe Line, where he remained until his
tieath, which occurred at Riverside, 111., May 6,
1899. Mr. Higginson was, for several years,
President of the Chicago Academy of Sciences,
and a member of the Board of Managers of the
Young Men's Christian Association of Chicago.

HIUH, James L., lawyer and author, was born
at Belleville, Ohio, Oct. 6, 1844; in boyliood came
to Wisconsin, and graduated at Wisconsin State
University, at Madison, in 18G4. also serving for
a time as Adjutant of the Furty-niuth Regiment
Wisconsin Volunteers ; studied law at the Michi-
gan University Law School and, in 18GT, came to
Chicago, where he began practice. He spent the
winter of 1871-73 in Salt Lake City and, in the
absence of the United .States District Attorney,
conducted the trial of certain Jlormon leaders for
connection witli the celebrated Mountain Meadow
Massacre, also acting as correspondent of '"The
New York Times,'' his letters being widely
copied. Returning to Chicago he took a higli
rank in his profession. He was the author of
several volumes, including treatises on "The Law
of Injunctions as administered in the Courts of
England and America, " and " Extraordinary Legal
Remedies, Mandamus, Quo Warranto and Prohibi-
tions," which are accepted as high authority with
the profession. In 1870 he published a revised
edition of Lord Erskine's Works, including all
his legal arguments, together with a memoir of
his Hfe. Died, Oct. 3, 1898.

HIGHLAND, a city in the southeastern part of
Madison County, founded in 1836 and located on
the Vandalia line, 82 miles east of St. Louis. Its
manufacturing industries include a milk-con-
densing creameiy, flour and planing mills, brew-
eries, etc. It contains several churches and
schools (among the latter being a Roman Catho-
lic Seminary), a hospital, and has two newspapers
— one German. The early settlers were Germans
of the most thrifty and enterprising classes. The
surrounding country is agricultural. Population
(1880), 1,960; (1890), 1,8.57; (1898), estimated,
2.400.

HIGHLAND PARK, an incorporated city of
Lake County, on the Chicago & Northwestern
Railroad, '23 miles north-northwest of Chicago.
It has a salubrious site on a blulf 100 feet above



Lake Michigan, and is a favorite residence and
liealth resort. It has a large luitel, several
churches, an academy, a ladies' seminary, and
editions of two Waukegan papers are issued
there. Population (1880), 1,1,54; (1890), 2,Ui3.

HILDRUP, Jesse S., lawyer and legislator,
was born in Middletown, Conn., March 14, 1833 ; at
15 removed to the State of New York and after-
wards to Harrisburg, Pa. ; in 18G0 came to Belvi-
dere. 111., where he began tlie practice of law,
also serving as Corporation Trustee and Township
Supervisor, and, during tlie latter years of the
war, as Deputy Provost Marshal. His first im-
portant elective office was that of Delegate to the
State Constitutional Convention of 1870, but he
vs-as elected Representative in the General Assem-
bly the same year, and again in 187'3. While in
the House he took a prominent part in the legis
lation which resulted in the organization of the
Railroad and Warehouse Board. Mr. Hildru))
was also a Republican Presidential Elector in
1808, and United States Marshal for the Northern
District of Illinois from 1877 to 1881. During
the last few years much of his time has been
spent in California for the benefit of the health
of some members of his family.

HILL, Charles Augustus, ex Congressman,
was born at Truxton, Cortland County, N. Y.,
August '23, 1833. He acqviired his early education
by dint of hard labor, and much privation. In
18.54 he removed to Illinois, settling in Will
County, where, for several years, he taught
school, as he had done while in New York.
Meanwhile he read law. his last instructor being
Hon. H. C. Newcomb, of Indianapolis, where he
was admitted to the bar. He returned to Will
County in 1860, and, in 1862, enlisted in the



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 48 of 207)