Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 66 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 66 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

present city of Kankakee contributing $5,000
toward the erection of county buildings. Agri-
culture, manufacturing and coal-mining are the
principal pursuits. Tlie first white settler was
one Noah Vasseur, a Frenchman, and the first
American, Thomas Durham. Population (1880),
25.047; (1890), 28,732.

KANKAKEE RIVER, a sluggish stream, rising
in St. Joseph County, Ind., and flowing west-
southwest through English Lake and a flat marshy
region, into Illinois. In Kankakee County it
unites with the Iroquois from the south and the
Des Plaines from the north, after the junction
with the latter, taking the name of the Illinois.

lying wholly in Illinois, 42.08 miles in length. It
has a capital stock of §10,000, bonded debt of
§650,000 and other forms of indebtedness (1895)
reaching §557, 629; total capitalization, §1,217,629.
This road was chartered in 1881, and opened in
1882. It connects with the Cleveland, Cincinnati,
Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, and the Chicago,
Rock Island & Pacific, and is owned jointly by
these two lines, but operated by the former. (See
Cleveland, Cinchiuafi, Cliieago d- St. Louis Rail-

KANSAS, a village in Edgar County, on the
Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis and
the Chicago & Ohio River Railways, 156 miles
northeast of St. Louis, 104 miles west of Indian-
apolis, 13 miles east of Charleston and 11 miles
west-southwest of Paris. The surrounding region
is agricultural and stock-raising. Kansas has tile
works, two grain elevators, a canning factorj%
and railway machine shops, beside four churches,
a collegiate institute, a National bank and a
weekly newspaper. Population (1880), 723; (1890),

KASKASKIA, a village of the Illinois Indians,
and later a French trading post, first occupied in
1700. It pas.sed into the hands of the British
after the French-Indian War in 1765, and was
captured by Col. George Rogers Clark, at the head
of a force of Virginia troops, in 1778. (See Clarl:,
George Rogers.) At that time the white inhab-
itants were almost entirely of French descent.
The first exercise of the elective franchise in Illi-
nois occurred here in the year last named, and, in
1804, the United States Government opened a
land offife there. For many years the most
important commercial town in the Territory, it
remained the Territorial and State capital down



to 1819, when the seat of goveinraent was re-
moved to Vandalia. Originally situated on the
west side of the Kaskaskia River, some six miles
from the Mississippi, early in 1899 its site had
been swept away by the encroachments of the
latter stream, so that all that is left of the princi-
pal town of Illinois, in Territorial days, is simply
its name.

KASKASKIA INDIANS, one of the five tribes
constituting the Illinois confederation of Algon
quin Indians. About the year 1700 they removed
from what is now La Salle County, to Southern
Illinois, where they established themselves along
the banks of the river which bears their name.
They were finally removed, with their b-ethren
of the Illinois, west of the Mississippi, and, as a
distinct tribe, have become extinct.

KASKASKIA RIVER, rises in Champaign
County, and flows southwest through the coun-
ties of Douglas, Coles, Moultrie, Shelby, Fayette,
Clinton and St. Clair, thence southward througli
Randolph, and empties into the Mississippi River
near Chester. It is nearh' 300 miles long, and
flows through a fertile, undulating country, which
forms part of the great coal field of the State.

KEITU, Edson, Sr., merchant and manufac-
turer, born at Barre, Vt. . Jan. 38, 1833, was edu-
cated at home and in the district schools; spent
18.50-54 in Montpelier, coming to Chicago the
latter year and obtaining employment in a retail
dry-goods store. In 1860 he assisted in establish-
ing the firm of Keith, Faxon & Co., now Edson
Keith & Co. ; is also President of the corporation
of Keith Brothers & Co., a Director of the Metro-
politan National Bank, and the Edison Electric
Light Compan}-. — Elbridge G. (Keith), banker,
brother of the preceding, was born at Barre, Vt. ,
July 16, 1840; attended local schools and Barre
Academy ; came to Chicago in 18.57, the next year
taking a position as clerk in the house of Keith,
Faxon & Co., in 186.5 becoming a partner and, in
1884, being chosen President of the Metropolitan
National Bank, where he still remains. Mr.
Keith was a member of the Republican National
Convention of 1880, and belongs to several local
literary, political and social clubs ; was also one
of the Directors of the World's Columbian Expo-
sition of 1892-93.

KEITHSBURG, a town in Mercer County, on
the Mississippi River and at the intersection
of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and
the Iowa Central Railways; is 150 miles north-
west of Springfield. Agriculture is the. principal
occupation. There are two weekly papers here.
Population (1880), 943; (1890), 1,484.

KELLOGG, Hiram Huntington, clergyman
and educator, was born at Clinton (then Whites-
town), N. Y., in February, 1803, graduated at
Hamilton College and Auburn Seminary, after
which he served for some years as pastor at
various places in Central New York. Later, he
established the Young Ladies' Domestic Seminary
at Clinton, claimed to be the first ladies" semi-
nary in the State, and the first experiment in the
country uniting manual training of girls with
scholastic instruction, antedating Mount Hoi
yoke, Oberlin and other institutions which adopted
this system. Color was no bar to admission to
the institution, though the daughters of some of
the wealthiest families of the State were among
its pupils. Mr. Kellogg was a co-laborer with
Gerritt Smith, Beriah Green, the Tappans, Garri-
son and others, in the effort to arouse public senti-
ment in opposition to slavery. In 1836 he united
with Prof. George W. Gale and others in the
movement for the e,stablishment of a colony and
the building up of a Christian and anti-slavery
institution in the West, which resulted in the
location of the town of Galesburg and tlie found,
ing there of Knox College. Mr. Kellogg was
chosen the first President of the institution and,
in 1841, left his tliriving school at Clinton to
iilentify himself with the new enterprise, which,
in its infancy, was a manual- labor school. In the
West he soon became the ally and co-laborer of
such men as Owen Lovejoy, Ichabod Codding,
Dr. C. V. Dyer and others, in the work of extirpat-
ing slavery. In 1843 he visited England as a
member of the World's Peace Convention, re-
maining abroad about a year, during whicli time
he made the acquaintance of Jacob Bright and
others of the most prominent men of that day in
England and Scotland. Resigning the Presidency
of Knox College in 1847, he returned to Clinton
Seminary, and was later engaged in various busi-
ness enterprises until 1861, when he again re-
moved to Illinois, and was engaged in preaching
and teaching at various points during the
remainder of his life, dying suddenlj', at his
liome school at Mount Forest, 111,, Jan. 1, 1881.

KELLOGG, William Pitt, was born at Orwell,
Vt., Dec. 8, 1831, removed to Illinois in 1848,
studied law at Peoria, was admitted to tlie bar in
1854, and began practice in Fulton County. He
was a candidate for Presidential Elector on the
Republican ticket in 1856 and 1860, being elected
the latter year. Appointed Chief Justice of
Nebraska in 1861, he resigned to accept the
colonelcy of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry. Fail-
ing health caused his retirement from the army

HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOL^ the battle of c:'(irinth. In 186."". he was
appointed Collector of tlie Port at New Orleans.
Thereafter he became a conspicuous figure in
both Louisiana and National politics, serving as
United States Senator from Louisiana from 186H
to UH71. and as (Jovernor from 1875 to 1876, during
the stormiest period of reconstruction, and mak-
ing hosts of bitter personal and political enemies
as well as warm friends. An unsucc^essful attempt
was made to impeach liim in 1876. In 1877 lie was
elected a second time to the United States Senate
by one of two rival Legislatures, being awarded
his seat after a bitter contest. At tlie close of his
term (1883) he took his seat in the lower house to
which he was elected in 1882, serving until 188.").
While retaining his residence in Louisiana, 5Ir.
Kellogg has spent much of his time of late years
in "Washington City.

KEND.4LL COrXTY, a northeastern county,
with an area of 330 square miles and a population
(1890) of 13,106. The surface is rolling and the
soil fertile, although generally a light, sandy
loam. The county was organized in 1841, out of
jiarts of Kane and La Salle, and was named in
lionorof President Jackson's Postma.ster General.
The Fox River (running southwestwardly
through the county), with its tributaries, affords
ample drainage and considerable water power;
the railroad facilities are admirable; timber is
abundant. Yorkville and Oswego have been
rivals for the county-seat, the distinction finally
resting with the former. Among the pioneers
may be mentioned Messrs. John Wilson, Ed-
ward Ament, David Carpenter, Samuel Smitli,
the Wormley and Pierce brothers, and E.

KEXDRICK, Adin A., educator, was born at
Ticonderoga, N. V., Jan. 7, 1836; educated at
Granville Academy, N. Y., and Middlebury Col-
lege; removed to Janesville, Wis., in 1857, studied
law and began practice at Monroe, in that State,
a year later removing to St. Louis, where he con-
tinued practice for a short time. Then, having
abandoned the law, after a course in the Theolog-
ical Seminary at Rocliester, N. Y., in 1861 he
became pastor of the Nortli Baptist Churcli in
Chicago, but, in 186.'), removed to St. Louis,
where he remained in pastoral work until 1872.
when he assumed the Presidency of Shurtleff
College at Upper Alton. 111.

KENJfEY, a village and railway .station in
Dewitt County, at the intersection of the Spring-
field Division of the Illinois Central and the
Peoria. Decatur & Evansville Railroads, 36 miles
northeast of Springfield. The town has a bank

and two newspapers; the liistrict is agricultural.
Population (1880), 418; (1890), 497.

KENT, (itev.) Aratiis, pioneer and Congrega-
tional missionary, was born in Suffield, Conn, in
1794, educated at Yale and Princeton and, in 1829,
as a Congregational missionai-y, came to the
Galena lead mines — then esteemed "a place so
hard no one else would take it. " In less than two
years he had a Sunday-school with ten teachers
and sixty to ninety scholars, and had also estab-
lished a day-school, which he conducted himself.
In 1831 he organized the First Presbyterian
Church of Galena, of which lie remained pastor
until 1848, when lie became Agent of the Home
Missionary Society. He was prominent in laying
tlie foundations of Beloit College and Rockford
Female Seminary, meanwhile contributing freely
from his meager salary to charitable purposes.
Died at Galena, Nov. 8.'l869.

KEOKUK, (interpretation, "The Watchful
Fox"), a Chief of the Sacs and Foxes, born on
Rock River, about 1780. He had the credit of
shrewdness and bravery, which enabled him
finally to displace his rival. Black Hawk. He
always professed ardent friendship for the whites,
although this was not infrequently attributed to
a far-seeing policy. He earnestly dissuaded
Black Hawk frcra the formation of his confeder-
acy, and when the latter was forced to surrender
himself to the United States authorities, he was
formally delivered to the custody of Keokuk. By
the Rock Islaml treaty, of September, 1832, Keo-
kuk was formally recognized as the principal
Chief of the Sacs and Foxes, and granted a reser-
vation on the Iowa River, 40 miles square. Here
he lived until 184.5, when he removed to Kansas,
where, in June, 1848, he fell a victim to poison,
supposedly administered by some partisan of
Black Hawk, (See Black Hawk and Black Hawk

KERFOOT, Samuel H., real-estate operator,
was born in Lancaster, Pa., Dec. 18, 1823, and
educated under the tutorship of Rev. Dr. Muh-
lenburg at St. Paul's College, Flushing, Long
Island, graduating at the age of 19. He was
then associated with a brother in founding St.
James College, in Washington County, Md., but,
in 1848, removed to Chicago and engaged in the
real-estate business, in which he was one of the
(ddest operators at the time of his death, Dec. 28,
1896. He was one of the founders and a life
member of the Chicago Historical Society and of
the Chicago Academy of Sciences, and associated
with other learned and social organiz.itions. He
was also a member of the original Real Estate



and Stock Board of Cliicago and its first Presi-

KEWANEE, a town in Henry County, on the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, 33 miles
northeast of Galesburg. Agriculture and coal-
mining are the industries of the surrounding
country. The town contains thirteen churches,
three graded schools, a public library of 6,000
volumes, national banks and three weekly
papers, two of them issuing daily editions. Its
manufactures include foundry and machine shop
products, agricultural implements, carriages and
wagons, soil pipe, pumps and heating apparatus.
Population (1880), 3,704; (1890), 4,569; (1893),
school census, 7,963.

KETES, Willard, pioneer, was born at New-
fane, Windsor County, Vt., Oct. 38, 1793; spent
his early life on a farm, enjoying only such edu-
cational advantages as could be secured by a few
months" attendance on school in winter; in 1817
started west by way of Mackinaw and, crossing
Wisconsin (then an unbroken wilderness), finally
reached Prairie du Chien, after which he spent a
year in the "pineries." In 1819 he descended the
Mississippi with a raft, his attention en route
being attracted by the present site of the city of
Quincy, to wliich, after two years spent in exten-
sive exploration of the "Military Tract" in tlie
interest of certain owners of bounty lands, he
again returned, finding it still unoccupied.
Then, after two years spent in farming in Pike
County, in 1834 he joined his friend, the late
Gov. John Wood, who had built the first house in
Quincy two years previous. Mr. Keyes thus
became one of the tliree earliest settlers of
Quincy, the other two being John Wood and a
Major Rose. On the organization of Adams
County, in January, 183.5, he was appointed a
member of the first Board of County Commission-
ers, which held its first meeting in his house.
Mr. Keyes acquired considerable landed property
about Quincy, a portion of which he donated to
the Chicago Theological Seminary, thereby fur-
nishing means for the erection of "Willard Hall "
in connection with that institution. His death
occurred in Quincy, Feb. 7, 1872.

KICKAPOOS, a tribe of Indians whose eth-
nology is closely related to that of the Mascou-
tins. The French orthography of the word was
various, the early explorers designating them as
"Kic-a-pous," "Kick-a-poux," "Kick-a-bou," and
"Quick-a-pous." The significance of the name is
uncertain, different authorities construing it to
mean "tlie otter's foot" and the "rabbifs ghost,"
according to dialect. From 1603, when the tribe

was first visited by Samuel Champlain, the Kicta-
poos were noted as a nation of warriors. They
fought against Christianization, and were, for
some time, hostile to the French, although they
proved efficient allies of the latter during the
French and Indian War. Their first formal
recognition of the authority of the United States
was in the treaty of Edwardsville (1819), in which
reference was made to the treaties executed at
Vincennes (180.5 and 1809). Nearly a century
before, they had left their seats in AVisconsin and
established villages along the Rock River and
near Chicago (1713 15). At the time of the
Edwardsville treaty they had settlements in the
valleys of the Wabash. Embarras, Kaskaskia,
Sangamon and Illinois Rivers. While they
fought bravely at the battle of Tippecanoe, their
chief military skill lay in predatory warfare. As
compared with other tribes, they were industri-
ous, intelligent and cleanly. In 1833-33 they
were removed to a reservation in Kansas. Thence
many of them drifted to the southwest, join-
ing roving, plundering bands. In language,
manners and customs, the Kickapoos closely
resembled the Sacs and Foxes, with whom some
ethnologists believe them to have been more or
less closely connected.

KILPATRICK, Thomas M., legislator and
soldier, was born in Crawford County, Pa., June
1, 1807. He learned the potter's trade, and, at
the age of 37, removed to Scott County, HI. He
was a deep thinker, an apt and reflective student
of public affairs, and naturally eloquent. He
was twice elected to the State Senate (1840 and
'44), and, in 1846, was the Whig candidate for
Governor, but was defeated by Augustus C.
French, Democrat. In 1850 he emigrated to
California, but, after a few years, returned to
Illinois and took an active part in the campaigns
of 1858 and 1860. On the outbreak of the Civil
War he was commissioned Colonel of the Twenty-
eighth Illinois Volunteers, for which regiment he
had recruited a company. He was killed at the
battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862, while leading a

KINDERHOOK, a village and railway station
in Pike County, on the Hannibal Division of the
Wabash Railway, 13 miles east of Hannibal.
Population (1890), 473.

KING, John Lyle, lawyer, was born in Madison,
Ind., in 1835 — the son of a pioneer settler who
was one of the founders of Hanover College
and of the Presb.vterian Theological Seminary
there, which afterwards became the "Presby-
terian Theological Seminary of the Northwest,''


now the McComiick Theological Seminary of
Chicago. After graduating at Hanover, Mr. King
began the study of law with an uncle at Madison,
and the following year was admitted to the bar.
In 1852 he was elected to the Indiana Legislature
and, while a member of that body, acted as Chair-
man of the Committee to present Louis Kossuth,
the Hungarian patriot and exile, to the Legisla-
ture ; also took a prominent part, during the next
few years, in the organization of the Republican
party. Removing to Chicago in 185G, he soon
became prominent in his profession there, and, in
1860, was elected City Attorney over Col. James A.
Mulligan, who became eminent a year or two later,
in connection with the war for the Union. Hav-
ing a fondness for literature, Mr. King wrote much
for the press and. in 1878, published a volume of
sporting experiences with a party of professional
friends in the woods and waters of Northern Wis-
consin and Michigan, under the title. "Trouting
on the Brule River, or Summer Wayfaring in the
Northern Wilderness. " Died in Chicago, April 17,

KING, William H., lawyer, was born at Clifton
Park, Saratoga County, N.Y., Oct. 23, 1817; gradu-
ated from Union College in 184G. studied law at
Waterford and, having been admitted to the bar
the following year, began practice at the same
place. In 1853 he removed to Chicago, where he
held a number of important positions, including
the Presidency of the Chicago Law Institute, the
Chicago Bar Association, the Chicago Board of
Education, and the Union College Alumni
Association of the Northwest. In 1870 he was
elected to the lower branch of the Twenty-
seventh General Assembly, and, during the ses-
sions following the fire of 1H71 prepared the act
for the protection of titles to real estate, made
necessary by the destruction of the records in the
Recorder's office. Mr. King received the degree
of LL.D from his Alma Mater in 1H79. Died, in
Chicago, Feb. 6, 1892.

KINGMAN, Martin, was born at Deer Creek,
Tazewell County, 111., April 1, 1844; attended
school at Washington, 111., then taught two or
three years, and, in June, 1862, enlisted in the
Eighty-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, serv-
ing three years without the loss of a day — a part
of the time on detached service in charge of an
ambulance corps and, later, as Assistant Quarter-
master. Returning from the war with the rank
of First Lieutenant, in August, 1865, he went to
Peoria, where he engaged in business and has re-
mained ever since. He is now connected with the
following business concerns: Kingman & Co.,

manufacturers and dealers in farm machinery,
buggies, wagons, etc. ; The Kingman Plow Com-
pany, Bank of Illinois, Peoria Cordage Company,
Peoria General Electric Company, and National
Hotel Company, besides various outside enter-
prises — all large concerns in each of which he is a
large stockholder and a Director. Mr. Kingman
was Canal Commissioner for six years — this being
his only connection with politics. During 1898 he
was also chosen Lieutenant-Colonel of the Peoria
Provisional Regiment organized for the Spanish-
American War. His career in connection with
the industrial development of Peoria has been
especially conspicuous and successful.

KINKADE (or Kinkead), William, a native of
Tennessee, settled in what is now Lawrence
County, in 1817, and was elected to the State
Senate in 1822, but appears to have served only
one session, as he was succeeded in the Fourth
General Assembly by James Bird. Although a
Tennesseean by birth, he was one of the most
aggressive opponents of the scheme for making
Illinois a slave State, being the only man who
made a speech against the jiro-slavery convention
resolution, though this was cut short by the
determination of the pro-convention ists to permit
no debate. Mr. Kinkade was appointed Post-
master at Lawrenceville by President John
Quincy Adams, and held the position for many
years. He died in 1846.

KISMUNDY, a city in Marion County, on the
Illinois Central Railroad, 229 miles south of
Chicago and 24 miles northeast of Centralia.
Agriculture, stock-raising, fruit-growing and
coal-mining are the principal industries of the
surrounding countr3'. Kinmundy has flouring
mills and brick-making plants, with other
manufacturing establishments of minor impor-
tance. There are five churches, a bank and a
weekly newspaper. Population (1880), 1,096;
(1890), 1,045.

KINNEY, William, Lieutenant-Governor of
Illinois from 1826 to 1830 ; was born in Kentucky in
1781 and came to Illinois early in life, finally
settling in St. Clair County. Of limited educa-
tional advantages, he was taught to read by his
wife after marriage. He became a Baptist
preacher, was a good stump-orator; served two
sessions in the State Senate (the First and Third),
was a candidate for Governor in 1834, but was
defeated by Joseph Duncan ; in 1838 was elected
by the Legislature a member of the Board fif
Public Works, becoming its President. Died
in 1843.— William C. (Kinney), son of the pre

Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 66 of 207)