Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 7 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 7 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

November of the same year, tlie two divisions
were consolidated under tlie title of the Ohio &
Mississippi Railway. — Tlie Springfield Division
was the result of the consolidation, in December,
1869, of the Pana, Springfield & Northwestern
and the Illinois & Southeastern Railroad — each
having been chartered in 1867 — the new corpo-
ration taking the name of the Springfield & Illi-
nois Southeastern Railroad, under which name
the road was built and opened in March, 1871. In
1873, it was placed in the liands of receivers ; in
1874 was sold under foreclosure, and, on March
1, 1875, passed into the hands of the Ohio & Mis-
sissippi Railway Company. In November, 1876,
the road was again placed in the hands of a
receiver, but was restored to the Company in 1884.
— In November, 1893, the Ohio & Mississippi was
consolidated with the Baltimore & Ohio South-
western Railroad, whicli was the successor of the
Cincinnati, Washington & Baltimore Railroad,
the reorganized Company taking tlie name of the
Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railway Com-
pany. The total capitalization of the road, as
organized in 1898, was §84,770,531. Several
branches of the main line in Indiana and Ohio go
to increase the aggregate mileage, but being
wholly outside of Illinois are not taken into ac-
count in this statement.

ROAD, part of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
System, of which only 8.21 out of 265 miles are in
Illinois. The principal object of the company's
incorporation was to secure entrance for the
Baltimore & Ohio into Chicago. The capital
stock outstanding exceeds §1,500,000. The total
capital (including stock, funded and floating debt)
is §20,339,166 or §76,728 per mile. The gross
earnings for the year ending June 30, 1898, were
§3,383,010 and the operating expenses §3,493,452.
The income and earnings for the portion of the
line in Illinois for the same period were §209,208
and the expenses §208,096.

BANGS, Mark, lawyer, was bom in Franklin
County, Mass., Jan. 9, 1822; .spent his boy-
hood on a farm in Western New York, and, after
a year in an institution at Rochester, came to
Chicago in 1844, later spending two years in farm
work and teaching in Central Illinois. Return-
ing east in 1847, he engaged in teaching for
two years at Springfield, Mass., then spent
a year in a dry goods store at Lacon, 111.,
meanwhile prosecuting his legal studies. In
1851 he began practice, was elected a Judge



of the Circuit Court in 18r)9; served one session
as State Senator (1870-T2); in 1873 was ap-
pointed Circuit Judge to fill the unexpired
term of Judge Richmond, deceased, and, in 187.5,
was appointed by President Grant United States
District Attornej- for the Nortliern District,
remaining in ofHce four years. Judge Bangs was
also a member of the first Anti-Nebraska State
Convention of Illinois, held at Springfield in 1854;
in 1803 presided over the Congressional Conven-
tion which nominated Owen Lovejoy for Congress
for the first time , was one of the charter members
of the "Union League of America," serving as its
President, and, in 1868, was a delegate to the
National Convention which nominated General
Grant for President for the first time. After
retiring from the office of District Attorney in
1879, he removed to Chicago, where he is still
(1898) engaged in the practice of his profession.

BAXKSOS, Andrew, pioneer and early legis-
lator, a native of Tennessee, settled on Silver
Creek, in St. Clair County, 111., four miles south
of Lebanon, about 1808 or 1810, and sub-sequently
removed to Washington County. He was a Col-
onel of "Rangers" during the War of 1813, and a
Captain in the Black Hawk War of 1833. In
1822 he was elected to the State Senate from
Washington County, serving four years, and at
the session of 1823-33 was one of those who voted
against the Convention i-esolution which liad for
its object to make Illinois a slave State. He sub-
sequently removed to Iowa Territory, but died, in
18.'53, while visiting a son-inlaw in Wisconsin.

BAPTISTS. The first Baptist minister to set-
tle in Illinois was Elder James Smith, who
located at New Design, in 1787. He was fol-
lowed, about 1796-97, by Revs. David Badgley and
Joseph Chance, who organized the first Baptist
church within the limits of the State. Five
churches, having foui' ministers and 111 mem-
bers, formed an association in 1807. Se\eral
causes, among them a difference of views on the
slavery question, resulted in the division of the
denomination into factions. Of these perhaps
the most numerous was the Regular (or Blission-
ary) Baptists, at the head of which was Rev. John
M. Peck, a resident of the State from 1833 until
his death (1858). By 1835 the sect had grown,
until it had some 250 churches, with about 7,500
members. These were imder the ecclesiastical
care of twenty-two Associations. Rev. Isaac
McCoy, a Indian missionary, preached at
Fort Dearborn on Oct. 9, 1835, and, eight years
later. Rev. Allen B. Freeman organized the first
Baptist society in what was then an infant set-

tlement. By 1890 the number of Associations
had grown to forty, with 1010 churches 891
ministers and 88,884 members. A Baptist Theo-
logical Seminary was for some time supported at
Morgan Park, but, in 1895, was absorbed by the
University of Chicago, becoming the divinity
school of that institution. The chief organ of the
denomination in Illinois is "The Standard." pub-
lished at Chicago. JL 3 2 iiG 5

BARBER, Hiram, was born in Warren County,
N. Y., March 24, 1835. At 11 years of age ho
accompanied his family to Wisconsin, of which
State he was a resident until 1866. After gradu-
ating at the State University of Wisconsin, at
Madison, he studied law at the Albany Law
School, and was admitted to practice. After
serving one term as District Attorney of his
county in AVisconsin (1861-62), and Assistant
Attorney-General of the State for 1865-00, in
the latter year he came to Chicago and, in 1878,
was elected to Congress by the Republicans of
the old Second Illinois District. His home is in
Chicago, where he holds the position of Master in
Chancery of the Superior Court of Cook County.

BARDOLPH, a village of McDonough County,
on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, 7
miles northeast of Macomb; has a local paper.
Population (1880), 409; (1890), 447.

BARSSBACK, Oeorg:e Frederick Julius, pio-
neer, was born in Germany, July 25, 1781 ; came
to Philadelphia in 1797, and soon after to Ken-
tucky, where he became an overseer; two or
three years later visited his native country, suf-
fering shipwxeck en route in the English Channel ;
returned to Kentucky in 1802, remaining until
1809, when he removed to what is now Madison
(then a part of St. Clair) County, 111. ; ser\ed in
the War of 1813, farmed and raised stock until
1834, when, after a second visit to Germany, he
bought a plantation in St. Francois County, Mo.
Subsequently becoming disgusted with slavery,
he manumitted his slaves and returned to Illinois,
locating on a farm near Edwardsville, where he
resided until his death in 1869. Mr. Barusback
served as Representative in the Fourteenth Gen-
eral Assembly (1844-46) and, after '-eturning from
Springfield, distributed his salary among tlie poor
of Madison County.— Julius A. (Barnsback), his
son, was born in St. Francois County, Mo., May
14, 1820; in 1840 became a merchant at Troy,
Madison County; was elected Sheriff in 1860; in
1864 entered the service as Captain of a Company
in the One Hundred and Fortieth Illinois Volun-
teers (100-days' men); also served as a member of
the Twenty-fourth General Assembly (1865).



BARNUM, William H., lawyer and ex-Judge,
was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., Feb. 13,
1840. When he was but two years old his family
removed to St. Clair County, 111., where he passed
his boyhood and youth. His preliminary educa-
tion was obtained at Belleville. 111., Ypsilanti,
Mich., and at tlie Michigan State University at
Ann Arbor. After leaving the institution last
named at the end of the sophomore year, he
taught school at Belleville, still pursuing his clas-
sical studies. In 1863 he was admitted to the bar
at Belleville, and soon afterward opened an office
at Chester, where, for a time, he held the office
of Master in Chancery. He removed to Chicago
in 1867, and, in 1879, was elevated to the bench
of the Cook Count}' Circuit Court. At the expi-
ration of his term he resumed private practice.

BARRERE, Granville, was born in Highland
County, Ohio. After attending the common
schools, he acquired a higher education at Au-
gusta, Ky., and Marietta, Ohio. He was admitted
to the bar in his native State, but began the prac-
tice of law in Fulton Count}', 111., in 18.56. In
1873 he received the Republican nomination for
Congress and was elected, representing his dis-
trict from 1873 to 187.5, at the conclusion of his
term retiring to private life. Died at Canton,
111., Jan. 13, 1889.

BARRIPfGTON, a village located on the north-
ern border of Cook County, and partly in Lake,
at the intersection of the Chicago & Northwestern
and the Elgin, Joliet & Ea.stern Railway, 33 miles
northwest of Cliicago. It has banks, a local paper,
and several cheese factories, being in a dairying
district. Population (1880); 610; (1890), 848.

BARROWS, John Henry, D. 1)., clergyman
and educator, was born at Medina, Mich., July
11, 1847; graduated at Movmt Olivet College in
1867, and studied theology at Yale, Union antl
Andover Seminaries. In 1869 he went to Kansas,
where he spent two and a half years in mission-
ary and educational work. He then (in 1872)
accepted a call to the First Congregational
Church at Springfield, 111., where he remained a
year, after which he gave a year to foreign travel,
visiting Europe, Egypt and Palestine, during a
part of the time supplying the American chapel
in Paris. On his return to the United States he
spent six j'ears in pastoral work at Lawrence and
East Boston, Mass., when (in November, 1881) he
assumed the pastorate of the First Presbyterian
Church of Chicago. Dr. Barrows achieved a
world-wide celebrity by his services as Chairman
of the "Parliament of Religions," a branch of the
"World's Congress Auxiliary," held during tlie

World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in
1893. Later, he was appointed Professorial Lec-
turer on Comparative Religions, under lectureships
in connection with the University of Chicago en-
dowed by Mrs. Caroline E. Haskell. One of these,
established in Dr. Barrows' name, contemplated
a series of lectiu-es in India, to be delivered on
alternate years with a similar course at the Uni-
versity. Courses were delivered at the University
in 1895-96, and, in order to carry out the purposes
of the foreign lectureship. Dr. Barrows found it
necessary to resign his pastorate, which he did in
the spring of 1896. After spending tlie summer
in Germany, the regular itinerary of the round-
the-world tour began at London in the latter part
of November, 1896, ending with his return to the
United States by way of San Francisco in May,
1897. Dr. Barrows was accompanied by a party
of personal friends from Chicago and elsewhere,
the tour embracing visits to the principal cities
of Southern Europe, Egypt, Palestine, China and
Japan, with a somewhat protracted stay in India
during the winter of 1896-97. After his return to
the United States he lectured at the University
of Chicago and in many of the principal cities of
the country, on the moral and religious condition
of Oriental nations, but, in 1898, was offered
the Presidency of Oberlin College, Ohio, which
he accepted, entering upon his duties early in

BARRY, a city in Pike County, foimded in
1836, on the Wabash Railroad, 18 miles east of
Hannibal, Mo. , and 30 miles southeast of Quincy.
The surrounding country is agricultural. The
city contains woolen and flouring mills, pork-
packing establishments, etc. It has two local
papers, a bank, three churches and a high school,
besides schools of lower grade. Population
(1880), 1,392; (1890), 1,3.54; (1898) estimated, 1,600.

BARTLETT, Adolphns Clay, merchant, was
born of Revolutionary ancestry at Stratford,
Fulton County, N. Y., June 22, 1844; was educated
in the common schools and at Danville Academj'
and Clinton Liberal Institute, N. Y., and, coming
to Chicago in 1863, entered into the employment
of the hardware firm of Tuttle, Hibbard & Co.,
now Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co., of which,
a few years later, he became a partner, and later
Vice-President of the Company. Mr. Bartlett
has also been a Trustee of Beloit College, Presi-
dent of the Chicago Home for the Friendless and
a Director of the Chicago & Alton Railroad and
the Metropolitan National Bank, besides being
identified with various other business and benevo-
lent associations.



BASCOM, (Rev.) Flavel, D. D., clergyman,
was born at Lebanon, Couu., June 8, 1804; spent
his boyhood on a farm until 17 years of age, mean-
while attending the common schools; prepared
for college under a private tutor, and. in 1824,
entered Yale College, graduating in 1828. After a
year as Principal of the Academy at New Canaan,
Conn., lie entered upon the study of theology
at Yale, was licensed to preach in 1831 and, for
the next two years, served as a tutor in the liter-
ary department of the college. Then coming to
Illinois (1833), he cast his lot with the "Yale
Band," organized at Y^ale College a few years
previous ; spent five years in missionary work in
Tazewell County and two years in Northern Illi-
nois as Agent of the Home Missionary Society,
exploring new settlements, foimding chm-ches
and introducing missionaries to new fields of
labor. In 1839 he became pastor of the First
Presbyterian Church of Chicago, remaining imtil
1849, when he assumed the pastorship of the First
Presbyterian Church at Galesburg, this relation
continuing until 1856. Then, after a year's serv-
ice as the Agent of the American Missionary
Association of the Congregational Church, he
accepted a call to the Congregational Church at
Princeton, where he remained imtil 1869, when
he took charge of the Congregational Chm-ch at
Hinsdale. From 1878 he served for a consider-
able period as a member of the Executive Com-
mittee of the Illinois Home Missionary Society;
was also prominent in educational work. Ijeing
one of the founders and, for over twenty-five
years, an officer of tlie Chicago Theological
Seminary, a Trustee of Knox College and one of
the founders and a Trustee of Beloit College,
Wis., from which he received the degree of D. D.
in 1869. Dr. Bascom died at Princeton, 111.,
August 8. 1890.

BATAVIA, a town in Kane County, located on
Fox River, and on branch lines of the Chicago &
Northwestern and the Cliicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railroads, 38 miles west of Chicago. It
has water power and establishments for the
manufacture of wagons, paper bags and wind-
mills. There are also extensive limestone quar-
ries in the vicinity. Tlie town was founded in
1834 and incorporated as a village in 1856. It has
two weekly papers, eight cliurclies and six public
schools, besides a private hospital for the insane.
Population(1880). 2,639; (1890), 3,543.

BATEMAN, Newton, A. M., LL.D., educator
and Editor-in-Chief of the "Historical Encyclo-
pedia of Illinois." was born at Fairfield, N. J.,
July 27, 1822. of mixed English and Scotch an-

ce.stry; was brought by his parents to Illinois in
1833; in his youth enjoyed only limited educa-
tional advantages, but graduated from Illinois
College at Jacksonville in 1843, supporting him-
self during his college course wholly by his own
labor. Having contemplated entering the Chris-
tian ministry, he spent the following year at Lane
Theological Seminary, but was compelled to
withdraw on account of failing health, when he
gave a year to travel. He then entered upon his
life-work as a teacher by engaging as Principal
of an English and Classical School in St. Louis,
remaining there two years, when he accepted the
Professorship of Mathematics in St. Charles Col-
lege, at St. Charles, Mo., continuing in that
position four years (1847-51). Returning to Jack-
sonville, 111., in the latter j-ear, he assumed the
principalship of the main public scliool of that
city. Here he remained seven years, during four
of them discharging the duties of Coimty Super-
intendent of Schools for Morgan County. In the
fall of 1857 he became Principal of Jacksonville
Female Academy, but the following year was
elected State Superintendent of Public Instruc-
tion, having been nominated for the office b3- the
Republican State Convention of 1858, which put
Abraham Lincoln in nomination for the United
States Senate. By successive re-elections he con-
tinued in this office fourteen years, serving con-
tinuously from 1859 to 1875, except two years
( 1863-65), as the result of Iiis defeat for re-election
in 1862. He was also endorsed for the same office
by the State Teachers' Association in 1856, but
was not formally nominated by a State Conven-
tion. During his incumbency the Illinois com-
mon school sj-stem was developed and brought to
the state of efficiency wliich it has so well main-
tained. He also prepared some seven volumes of
biennial reports, jjortions of which liave been
republished in five different languages of Europe,
besides a volume of "Common ScIiool Decisions,"
originally published by authority of the General
Assembly, and of which several editions have
since been issued. This volume has been recog-
nized by the courts, and is still regarded as
authoritative on the subjects to wliicli it relates.
In addition to his official duties during a part of
tliis period, for three years he served as editor of
"The Illinois Teacher," and was one of a com-
mittee of three which prepared the bill adopted
by Congress creating the National Bureau of
Education. Occupying a room in tlie old State
Capitol at Springfield adjoining that used as an
office by Abraliam Lincoln during the first candi-
dacy of the latter for the Presidency, in 1860, a



close intimacy sprang up between the two men,
which enabled the "School-master, " as Mr. Lin-
coln playfully called the Doctor, to acquire an
insight into the character of the future emanci-
pator of a race, enjoyed by few men of that time,
and of which he gave evidence by his lectures
full of interesting reminiscence and eloquent
appreciation of the high character of the "Martyr
President." A few months after his retirement
from the State Superintemlency (1875), Dr. Bate-
man was offered and accepted the Presidency of
Knox College at Galesburg. remaining until 1893,
when he voluntarily tendered his resignation.
This, after having been repeatedly urged upon
the Board, was finally accepted ; but that body
immediately, and by mianimous vote, appointed
him President Emeritus and Professor of Mental
and Moral Science, under which he continued to
discharge his duties as a special lecturer as his
health enabled him to do so. During his incum-
bency as President of Knox College, he twice
received a tender of the Presidency of Iowa State
University and the Chancellorship of two other
important State institutions. He also served, by
appointment of successive Governors between 1877
and 1891, as a member of the State Board of
Health, for four years of this period being Presi-
dent of the Board. In February, 1878, Dr. Bate-
man, imexpectedl}' and without solicitation on his
part, received from President Hayes an appoint-
ment as "Assay Commissioner" to examine and
test the fineness and weight of United States
coins, in accordance with the provisions of tlie
act of Congress of June 23, 1874, and discharged
the duties assigned at the mint in Philadelphia.
Never of a very strong physi(iue, which was
rather weakened by his privations while a stu-
dent and his many years of close confinement to
mental labor, towards the close of his life Dr.
Bateman suffered much from a chest trouble
which finally developed into "angina pectoris,"
or heart disease, from which, as the result of a
most painful attack, he died at his home in Gales-
burg, Oct. 21. 1897. The event produced the
most profound sorrow, not on I3' among his associ-
ates in the Faculty and among the students of
Knox College, but a large number of friends
throughout the State, who had known him offi-
cially or personally, and had learned to admire
his many noble and beautiful traits of character.
His funeral, which occurred at Galesburg on
Oct. 25, called out an immense concourse of
sorrowing friends. Almost the last labors per-
formed by Dr. Bateman were in the revision of
matter for tliis volume, in which he manifested

the deepest interest from the time of his assimip-
tion of the duties of its Editor-in-Chief. At the
time of his death he had the satisfaction of know-
ing that his work in this field was practically
complete. Dr. Bateman had been twice married,
first in 1850 to Miss Sarah Dayton of Jacksonville,
who died in 1857, and a second time in October,
1859, to Miss Annie N. Tyler, of Massachusetts
(but for some time a teacher in Jacksonville
Female Academy), who died, May 28, 1878. —
Clifford Rush (Bateman), a son of Dr. Bateman
by his first marriage, was born at Jacksonville,
March 7, 1854, graduated at Amherst College and
later from the law department of Columbia Col-
lege, New York, afterwards jjrosecuting his
studies at Berlin, Heidelberg and Paris, finally
becoming Professor of Administrative Law and
Government in Columbia College — a position
especially created for him. He had filled this
position a little over one year when his career —
which was one of great promise — was cut short by
death, Feb. 6, 1883. Three daughters of Dr. Bate-
man survive — all the wives of clergymen. — P. S.

BATES, Clara Doty, author, was born at Ann
Arbor, Mich., Dec. 22, 1838; published her first
book in 1868; the next year married Morgan
Bates, a Chicago publisher; wrote much for
juvenile periodicals, besides stories and poems,
some of the most popular among the latter being
"Blind Jakey" (1868) and ".^.sop's Fables" in
verse (1873). She was the collector of a model
library for children, for the World's Columbian
Exposition, 1893. Died in Chicago,.Oct. 14, 1895.

BATES, Erastus Newton, soldier and State
Treasurer, was born at Plainfield, Mass., Feb. 29,
1828. being descended from Pilgrims of the May-
flower. When 8 years of age he was brought by
his father to Ohio, where the latter soon after-
ward died. For several years he lived with an
imcle, preparing himself for college and earning
money by teaching and manual labor. He gradu-
ated from Williams College, Mass., in 1853, and
commenced the study of law in New York City,
but later removed to Minnesota, where he served
as a member of the Constitutional Convention of
1856 and was elected to the State Senate in 1857.
In 1859 he removed to Centralia, 111., and com-
menced practice there in August, 1862 ; was com-
missioned Major of the Eightieth Illinois
Volunteers, being successively promoted to the
rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and Colonel, and
finally brevetted Brigadier-General. For fifteen
months he was a prisoner of war. escaping from
Libby Prison only to be recaptured and later
exposed to the fire of the Union batteries at Mor-



ris Island, Charleston harbor. In 1866 he was
elected to the LeRislature, and, in 1868, State
Treasurer, being re-elected to the latter office
under the new Constitution of 1870, and serving
until January, 1873. Died at Minneapolis,
Minn., May 29, 1898, and was buried at Spring-

BATES, (iBorge C, lawyer and politician, was
born in Canandaigua, N. Y.. and removed to
Michigan in 183-1; in 1849 was appointed United
States District Attorney for that State, but re-
moved to California in 1850. where he became a
member of the celebrated "'Vigilance Committee"
at San Francisco, and. in 1856, delivered the first
Republican speecli there. From 1861 to 1871, he
practiced law in Chicago; the latter year was
appointed District Attorney for Utah, serving
two years, in 1878 removing to Denver, Colo.,
where he died, Feb. 11. 1886. Mr. Bates was an
orator of much reputation, and was selected to
express the thanks of the citizens of Chicago to
Gen. B. J. Sweet, commandant of Camp Douglas,

Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 7 of 207)