Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 73 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 73 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


death of President C. S. Smith, was chosen
President of the institution. Died suddenly from
heart disease, while preparing to perform a surgi-
cal operation on a patient in the Hahnemann
Medical College, April 29, 1899.

LUJfDY, Benjamin, early anti-slavery journal-
ist, was born in New Jersey of Quaker par-
entage ; at 19 worked as a saddler at Wheeling,
Va. , where he first gained a practical knowledge
of the institution of slavery; later carried on
business at Mount Pleasant and St. Clairsville, O.,
where, in 1815, he organized an anti-slavery
association under the name of the "Union
Humane Society," also contributing anti-slavery
articles to "The Philantlu-opist, " a paper pub-
lished at Mount Pleasant. Removing to St.
Louis, in 1819, he took a deep interest in the con-
test over the admission of Missouri as a slave State.
Again at Mount Pleasant, in 1821, he began the
issue of "The Genius of Universal Emancipation, "
a montlily, which he soon removed to Jonesbor-
ough, Tenn., and finally to Baltimore in 1824,
when it became a weekly. Mr. Lundy's trend
towards colonization is shown in the fact that he
made two visits (1825 and 1829) to Hayti, with a
view to promoting the colonization of emanci-
pated slaves in that island. Visiting the East in
1828. he made the acquaintance of William Lloyd
Garrison, who became a convert to his views and
a firm ally. The following winter lie was as-
saulted by a slave-dealei- in Baltimore and nearly
killed ; soon after removed his paper to Washing-
ton and, later, to Philadelphia, where it took the
name of "The National Enquirer," being finally
merged into "The Pennsylvania Freeman." In
1838 his property was burned by the pro-slavery
mob which fired Pennsylvania Hall, and, in the
following winter, he removed to Lowell, La Salle
Co., 111., with a view to reviving his paper there,
but the design was frustrated by liis early death,
which occurred August 22, 1839. The paper,
liowever, was revived by Zebina Eastman under
the name of "The Genius of Liberty," but was re-
moved to Chicago, in 1842, and issued imder the
name of "The Western Citizen." (See EastniMi,
Zebina.)

LUNT, Orrington, capitalist and philanthro-
pist, was born in Bowdoinham, Maine, Dec. 24,
1815; came to Chicago in 1843, and engaged in
the grain commission business, becoming a mem-
ber of the Board of Trade at its organization.
Later, he became interested in real estate oper-
ations, fire and life insurance and in railway-
enterprises, being one of the early promoters of
the Chicago & Galena Union, now a part of tlie



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS,



347



Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. He also took
an active part in municipal atfairs, and, during
the War, was an efficient member of the "War
Finance Committee." A liberal patron of all
moral and benevolent enterprises, as shown by
his cooperation with the "Relief and Aid Soci-
ety" after the tire of 1871, and his generous bene-
factions to the Young Men's Christian Association
and feeble churches, his most efficient service
was rendered to the cause of education as repre-
sented in the Northwestern University, of which
he was a Trustee from its organization, and much
of the time an executive officer. To his noble
benefaction the institutit>n owes its splendid
library building, erected some years ago at a
cost of §100,000. In the future history of Chi-
cago, Jlr. Lunt's name will stand beside that of
J. Young Scammon, Walter L. Newberry, John
Crerar, and others of its most liberal benefactors.
Died, at his home in Evanston, April 5, 1897,

LUSK, John T., pioneer, was born in Soutli
Carolina, Nov. 7, 1784; brought to Kentucky in
1791 by his father (James Lusk), who e.stablished
a ferry across tlie Ohio, opposite the present town
of Golconda, in Pope County, 111, Lusk's Creek,
which empties into the Ohio in that vicinity,
took its name from this family. In 180r( the sub-
ject of this sketch ^ame to Sladisou County, III.,
and settled near Edwardsville. During the War
of 1812-14 he was engaged in the service as a
"Ranger." When Edwardsville began its
growth, he moved into the town and erected a
house of hewn logs, a .story and a lialf liigh and
containing three rooms, which became the first
hotel in the town and a place of considerable
historical note. Mr. Lusk held, at different
periods, the p, where he
embarked in business as a wholesale grocer. In
1874 he was chosen President of the Volunteer
Citizens' Association, which inaugurated many
important municipal reforms. He was thereafter
repeatedly urged to accept other offices, among
them the mayorality. I»ut persistently refused
until 1894, when he accepted a nomination for
United States Senator bv a State Convention of
the Democratic Party. He made a thorough can-
vass of the State, but the Republicans having
gained control of the Legislature, he was
defeated. He is the head of one of the most
extensive wholesale grocery establishments in
the city of Chicago.

MADISON COUXTY, situated in tlie southwest
division of the State, and bordering on the Mis-
sissippi River. Its area is about 740 square miles.
The surface of the county is hilly along tlie Mis-
sissippi bluffs, but generally either level or only
slightly undulating in tlie interior. The "Ameri-
can Bottom" occupies a strip of country along
the western border, four to six miles wide, as far
north as Alton, and is exceptionally fertile. The
county was organized in 1812. being the first
county set off from St. Clair County after the
organization of Illinois Territory, in 1809, and the
third within the Territory. It was named in
honor of James Madison, then President of the
United States. At that time it embraced sub-
stantially the whole of the northern part of the



State, but its limits were steadily reihicod by-
excisions until 1843. Tlie .soil is fertile, corn,
wheat, oats, hay. and potatoes being raised and
exported in large quantities. Coal seams under-
lie the soil, and {carboniferous limestone (crops out
in the neighborhood of Alton. American settlers
began first to arrive about 1800, the Judys, Gill-
liams and Whitesides being among the first, gen-
erally locating in the American Bottom, and
laying the foundation for the present county.
In the early history of the State, Madison County
was the home of a large number of prominent
men who exerted a large influence in shaping its
destiny. Among these were Governor Edwards,
Governor Coles, Judge Samuel D. Lockwood, and
many more whose names are intimately inter-
woven with State history. The county-seat is at
Edwardsville, and Alton is the principal city.
Population (18.80). .')0,126; (1890), .51,53.5.

MAGRUDER, Benjamin D., Justice of the
Supreme Court, was born near Natchez, Miss.,
Sept. 27, 1838; graduated from Yale College in
18.56. and. for three years thereafter, engaged in
teaching in his father's private academy at
Baton Rouge, La. , and in reading law. In 1859
he graduated from the law department of the
University of Louisiana, and the same year
opened an office at Memphis, Tenn. At the out-
break of the Civil War, his sympathies being
strongly in favor of tlie Union, he came North,
and, after visiting relatives at New Haven,
Conn., settled at Chicago, in June, 1861. While
ever radically loyal, he refrained from enlisting
or taking part in political discussions during the
war, many members of his immediate family
being in the Confederate service. He soon
achieved and easily maintained a high standing
at the Chicago bar; in 1868 was appointed Master
in Chancery of the Superior Court of Cook
County, and, in 1885, was elected to succeed
Judge T. Lyle Dickey on the bench of the
Supreme Court, being re-elected for a full term
of nine years in 1888. and again in 1897. He was
Chief Justice in 1891-92.

MAKAMIA, a village of Jackson County, on
the Illinois Central Railway, 8 miles south of
Carbondale. It is in the midst of a rich fruit-
growing region, large amounts of this product
being shipped there and at Cobden. for tlie Chi-
cago and other markets. The place has a bank
and a weekly paper. Population (1890), 344.

MALTBY, .lasppr A., .soldier, was liorn in Ash-
tabula County, Ohio, Nov. 3, 1826, served as a
private in the Mexican War and was severely
wounded at Chapultepec. After his discharge he



350



HISTOEICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



established himself in the mercantile business at
Galena, 111. ; in 1861 entered the volunteer service
as Lieutenant-Colonel of the Forty-fifth Illinois
Infantry, was wounded at Fort Donelson, pro-
moted Colonel in November, 1862, and wounded
a second time at Vicksburg; commissioned
Brigadier-General in August, 1863; served
through the subsequent campaigns of the Army
of the Tennessee, and was mustered out, January,
1866. Later, he was appointed by the commander
of the district Mayor of Vicksburg, dying in that
office, Dec. 13, 1867.

MANCHESTER, a town of Scott County, on
the Jacksonville Division of the Chicago & Alton
Railway, 16 miles south of Jacksonville; has
some manufactures of pottery. Population
(1890), 408.

MANIERE, George, early Chicago lawyer and
jurist, born of Huguenot descent, at New Lon-
don, Conn., in 1817. Bereft of his father in 1831,
his mother removed to New York City, where he
began the study of law, occasionally contributing
to "The New York Mirror," then one of the
leading literary periodicals of the country. In
1835 he removed to Cliicago, where he completed
his professional studies and was admitted to tlie
bar in 1839. His first office was a deputyship in
the Circuit Clerk's office; later, he was appointed
Master in Chancery, and served one term as
Alderman and two terms as City Attorney.
While filling the latter office he codified the
municipal ordinances. In 1855 he was elected
Judge of the Circuit Court and re-elected in 1861
without opposition. Before the expiration of his
second term he died. May 21, 1863. He held the
office of School Commissioner from 1844 to 1852,
during which time, largely through his efforts,
the school system was remodeled and the im-
paired school fund placed in a satisfactory con-
dition. He was one of the organizers of the
Union Defense Committee in 1861, a member of
the first Board of Regents of the (old) Chicago
University, and prominently connected with
several societies of a semi-public character. He
was a polished writer and was, for a time, in edi-
torial control of "The Chicago Democrat."

MANN, James R., lawyer and Congressman, was
born on a farm near Bloomington, 111., Oct. 20,
1856, whence his father moved to Iroquois County
in 1867 ; graduated at the University of Illinois
in 1876 and at the Union College of Law in Chi-
cago, in 1881, after which he established himself
in practice in Chicago, finally becoming the head
of the law firm of Mann, Hayes & Miller; in 1888
was elected Attorney of the village of Hyde Park



and, after the annexation of that municipality to
the city of Chicago, in 1892 was elected Alderman
of the Thirty-second Ward, and re-elected in
1894, while in the City Coimcil becoming one of
its most prominent members; in 1894, served as
Temporary Chairman of the Republican State
Convention at Peoria, and, in 1895, as Chairman
of the Cook County Republican Convention. In
1896 he was elected, as a Republican, to the Fifty-
fifth Congress, receiving a plurality of 28,459
over the Free Silver Democratic candidate, and
26,907 majority over all. In 1898 he was a can-
didate for re-election, and was again successful, by
over 17,000 plurality, on a largely reduced vote.
Other positions held by Mr. Mann, previous to his
election to Congress, include those of Master in
Chancery of the Superior Court of Cook County
and General Attorney of the South Park Com-
missioners of the city of Chicago.

MANN, Orriu L., lawyer and soldier, was born
in Geauga County, Ohio., and, in his youth,
removed to the vicinity of Ann Arbor, Midi.,
where he learned the blacksmith trade, but,
being compelled to abandon it on account of an
injury, in 18.")1 began study with the late Dr.
Hinman, then in charge of the Weslej'an Female
College, at Albion, Mich. Dr. Hinman having,
two years later, become President of the North-
western University, at Evanston, Mr. Mann
accompanied his preceptor to Chicago, continuing
Jiis studies for a time^ but later engaging in
teaching; in 1856 entered the University of
Michigan, but left in his junior year. In 1860 he
took part in the campaign which resulted in the
election of Lincoln ; early in the following spring
had made arrangements to engage in the lumber-
trade in Chicago, but abandoned this purpose at
tlie firing on Fort Sumter; then assisted in
organizing the Thirty-ninth Regiment Illinois
Volunteers (the "Yates Phalanx"), which having
been accepted after considerable delay, he
was chosen Major. The regiment was first
assigned to duty in guarding the Baltimore &
Ohio Railroad, but afterwards took part in the
first battle of Winchester and in operations in
North and South Carolina. Having previously
been commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel, Major
Mann was now assigned to court-martial duty at
Newbern and Hilton Head. Later, he partici-
pated in the siege of Forts Wagner and Gregg,
winning a brevet Brigadier-Generalship for
meritorious service. The Thirty-ninth, having
"veteranized" in 1864, was again sent east, and
being assigned to the command of Gen. B. F.
Butler, took part in the battle of Bermuda



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



351



Hundreds, where Colonel Mann was seriously
wounded, necessitating a stay of several months
in hospital. Returning to duty, he was assigned
to the staff of General Ord, and later served as
Provost Marshal of the District of Virginia, witli
headquarters at Norfolk, being finally nuistered
out in December, 1865. After the war he
engaged in the real estate and loan business,
but, in 1866, was appointed Collector of Internal
Revenue for the Chicago District, serving until
1868, when he was succeeded by General Corse.
Other positions held by him have been : Represent-
ative in the Twenty-ninth General Assembly
(1874-76), Coroner of Cook Coimty (1878-80), and
Sheriff (1880-82). General JIann was injured by
a fall, some years since, inducing partial paraly-
sis.

MANNING, Joel, first Secretary of the Illinois
& Michigan Canal Commissioners, was born in
1793, graduated at Union College, N. Y., in 1818,
and came to Southern Illinois at an early day,
residing for a time at Brownsville, Jackson
County, where he held the office of County-
CJerk. In 1836 he was practicing law, when he
was appointed Secretary of the first Board of
Commissioners of the Illinois & Michigan Canal,
remaining in office until 18-15. He continued to



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 73 of 207)