Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 80 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 80 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Illinois Country. Among those in charge, down
to 1718, were Fathers de Montigny, Damon (prob-
ably), Varlet, de la Source, and le Mercier. In
1707, Father Mermet assisted Father Marest at
Kaskaskia, and, in 1720, that mission became a
regularly constituted parish, the incumbent being
Fatlier de Beaubois. Rev. Philii) Boucher
preached and administered the sacraments at
Fort St Louis, where he died in 1719, having
been preceded bj Fathers Membre and Ribourde
in 1680, and by Fathers Douay and Le Clerq in
1687-88. The persecution and banishment of the
early Jesuit missionaries, by the Superior Council
of Louisiana (of which Illinois had formerly been
a part), in 1763, is a curious chapter in State his-
tory. That body, following the example of some
provincial legislative bodies in France, officially
declared the order a dangerous nuisance, and
decreed the confiscation of all its property, in-
cluding plate and vestments, and the razing of
its clmrche*, as well as the banishment of its
members. This decree tlie Louisiana Council
imdertook to enforce in Illinois, disregarding the
fact that tliat territorj- liad passed under the
jurisdiction of Great Britain. The Jesuits seem
to have off'ered no resistance, either physical or
legal, and all members of the order in Illinois
were ruthlessly, and without a shadow of author-
ity, carried to New Orleans and thence deported
to France. Only one— Father Sebastian Louis
Meurin— was allowed to return to Illinois ; and he.
only after promising to recognize the ecclesiastical
authority of the Superior Council as supreme,
and to hold no communication with Quebec or
Rome. The labors of the missionaries, apart
from spiritual results, were of greiit value. They



380



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



perpetuated the records of early discoveries,
reduced 'the language, and even dialects, of the
aborigines, to grammatical rules, and preserved
the original traditions and described the customs
of the savages. (Authorities: Shea and Kip's
"Catholic Missions," "Magazine of "Western His-
tory," Winsor"s "America," and Shea's "Catholic
Church in Colonial Days.")

MISSISSIPPI RIVEU. (Indian name, "Missi
Sipi," the "Great 'Water.") Its head waters are
in the northern part of Minnesota, 1,680 feet
above tide-water. Its chief source is Itasca
Lake, which is 1,575 feet higher than the sea.
and which is fed by a stream having its source
within one mile of the head waters of the Red
River of the North. From this sheet of water to
the mouth of the river, the distance is variously
estimated at from 3,000 to 3,160 miles. Lake
Itasca is in lat. 47° 10' north and Ion. 95° 20' west
from Greenwich. The river at first runs north-
ward, but soon turns toward the east and expands
into a series of small lakes. Its course, as far as
Crow "Wing, is extremely sinuous, below which
point it runs southward to St. Cloud, thence south-
eastward to Minneapolis, where occur the Falls of
St. Anthony, establishing a complete barrier to
navigation for the lower Mississippi. In less than
a mile the river descends 66 feet, including a per-
pendicular fall of 17 feet, furnishing an immense
water-power, wliich is utilized in operating flour-
ing-mills and other manufacturing establish-
ments. A few miles below St. Paul it reaches
the western boundary of Wisconsin, where it
expands into the long and beautiful Lake Pepin,
bordered by picturesque limestone bluffs, some
400 feet high. Below Dubuque its general direc-
tion is southward, and it forms the boundary
between the States of Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas
and the northern part of Louisiana, on the
west, and Illinois, Kentuckj', Tennessee and Mis-
sissippi, on the east. After many sinuous turn-
ings in its southern course, it enters the Gulf of
Mexico by three principal passes, or mouths, at
the southeastern extremity of Plaquemines
Parish, La., in lat. 39" north and Ion. 89° 12'
west. Its principal affluents on the right are tlie
Minnesota, Iowa, Des Moines, Missouri, Arkansas
and Red Rivers, and, on the left, the "Wisconsin,
Illinois and Ohio. The Missouri River is longer
than that part of tlie Mississippi above the point
of junction, the distance from its source to the
delta of the latter being about 4,300 miles, which
exceeds that of any other river in the world.
The width of the stream at St. Louis is about
3,500 feet, at the mouth of the Ohio nearly 4,500



feet, and at New Orleans about 3,500 feet. The
mean velocity of the current between St. Louis
and the Gulf of Mexico is about five to five and
one-half miles per hour. The average deptli
below Red River is said to be 131 feet, though, in
the vicinity of New Orleans, the maximum is said
to reach 150 feet. The principal rapids below the
Falls of St. Anthony are at Rock Island and the
Des Moines Rapids above Keokuk, the former
having twenty-two feet fall and the latter
twenty-four feet. A canal around the Des
Moines Rapids, along the west bank of the river,
aids navigation. The alluvial banks which pre-
vail on one or both shores of the lower Mississippi,
often spread out into extensive "bottoms" which
are of inexhaustible fertility. The most impor-
tant of these above the moutli of the Ohio, is the
"American Bottom," extending along the east
bank from Alton to Chester. Immense sums
have been spent in the construction of levees for
the protection of the lands along the lower river
from overflow, as also in the construction of a
system of jetties at the mouth, to improve navi-
gation by deepening the channel.

MISSISSIPPI RIVEK BRIDfciE, THE, one of
tlie best constructed railroad bridges in the West,
spanning the Mississippi from Pike, 111., to Loui-
siana, Mo. The construction company was char-
tered, April 35, 1873, and the bridge was ready for
the passage of trains on Dec. 34, 1873. On Dec.
3, 1877, it was leased in perpetuity by the Chicago
& Alton Railway Company, which holds all its
stock and §150,000 of its bonds as an investment,
paying a rental of §60,000 per annum, to be applied
in the payment of 7 per cent interest on stock and
6 per cent on bonds. In 1894, §71,000 was paid for
rental, §16,000 going toward a sinking fund.

MOBILE & OHIO RAILROAD. This company
operates 160,6 miles of road in Illinois, of which
151.6 are leased from the St. Louis & Cairo Rail-
road. (See St. Louis & Cairo Railroad.)

MOLINE, a flourishing manufacturing city in
Rock Island Counts', incorporated in 1872, on the
Mississippi above Rock Island and opposite
Davenport, Iowa; is 168 miles south of west from
Chicago, and the intersecting point of three
trunk lines of railway. Moline, Rock Island and
Davenport are connected by steam and street
railways, bridges and ferries. All three obtain
water-power from the Mississippi. The region
around Moline is rich in coal, and several produc-
tive mines are operated in the vicinity. It is an
important manufacturing point, among its chief
outputs being agricultural implements, malleable
iron, steam engines, vehicles, lumber, organs



HISTOKK'AL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



3. SI



(pipe ami reed), paper, lead-roofiug, wind-mills,
milling machinery, and furniture. The city has
admirable water-works, several churr^hes, good
schools (both public and private), a public library
and five banks. It is lighted by both gas and
electricity. There are also three daily and
weekly papers published here. Population (1880 1.
7,800; (1890), 13,000.

MOLONEY, Maurice T., ex-Attorney-General,
was born in Ireland, in 1849; came to America in
1867, and. after a i-ourse in the Seminary of "Our
Lady of the Angels" at Niagara Falls, studied
theology: then taught for a time in Virginia and
studied law at the University of that State,
graduating in 1871, finally locating at Ottawa,
111. , where he served three years as State's Attor-
ney of La Salle County, and, in 1892, was nomi-
nated and elected Attorney-General on the
Democratic State ticket, serving until January,
1897.

MOMENCE, a town in Kankakee County, situ-
ated on the Kankakee River and at the intersec-
tion of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois and the
Indiana, Illinois & Iowa Railroads, 'A miles
south of Chicago. It has good water power, a
ftouring-mill, railway rejjair shops, two banks,
two newspapers, three churches and a graded
school. Population (1880). 1,037; (1890), 1.635.

MONMOUTH, the county-seat of Warren
County, 26 miles east of the Mississippi River; a
point of intersection of two lines of the Chicago,
Burlington & Quincy and the Iowa Central
Railways. The surrounding country is agricul-
tural and coal yielding. The city has manufac-
tories of agricultural implements, sewer-pipe,
pottery, paving brick, and carriages and road
carts. Jlonmouth College (United Presbyterian)
was chartered in 18.57, and the librarj' of this
institution, witli that of Warren County (also
located at Monmouth), aggregates 30,000 volumes.
There are three national banks, with a combined
capital of $2.50.000, two daily, three weekly and
two other periodical publications. An appropria-
tion was made by the Fifty-fifth Congre.ss for the
erection of a Government building at Monmouth.
Population (1880), .'i.OOO; (1890). .5,930.

MONMOUTH COLLEGE, an educational insti-
tution, controlled by the United Presbyterian
denomination, but non-sectarian : located at Mon-
mouth. It was founded in 18.50, its first class
graduating in 1858. Its Presidents have been
Drs. D. A. Wallace (18.50-78) and J. B. McMichael.
the latter occupying the position from 1878 until
1897. In 1896 the faculty consisted of fifteen
instructors and the number of students was 289.



The college campus covers ten acres, tastefully
laid out. The institution confers four degrees —
A.B., B.S., M.B., and B.L. For the conferring
of the first three, four years' study is required;
for the degree of B.L., three years.

MONROE, George D., State Senator, was born
in Jeiferson County, N. Y., Sept. 24, 1844, and
came with his parents to Illinois in 1849. His
father having been elected SlierifT of Will County
in 1864, he became a resident of Joliet, serving
as a deputy in his father's office. In 1865 he
engaged in merchandising as the partner of his
father, which was exchanged, some fifteen years
later, for the wholesale grocery trade, and, finally,
for the real-estate and mortgage-loan business, in
which he is still employed. He has also been
extensively engaged in the stone business some
twenty years, being a large stockholder in the
Western Stone Company and Vice-President of
the concern. In 1894 Mr. Monroe was elected, as
a Republican, to the State Senate from the
Twenty-fifth District, serving in the Thirty-ninth
and Fortieth General Assemblies, and proving
himself one of the most influential members of
that body.

MONROE COUNTY, situated in the southwest
part of the State, bordering on the Mississippi —
named for President Monroe. Its area is about
380 square miles. It was organized in 1810 and
included within its boundaries several of the
French villages which constituted, for many-
years, a center of civilization in the West.
American settlers, however, began to locate in
the district as early as 1781. The county has a
diversified surface and is heavily timbered. The
soil is fertile, embracing both upland and river
bottom. Agriculture and the manufacture and
shipping of lumber constitute leading occupations
of the citizens. Waterloo is the county-seat.
Population (1880), 13,682; (1890), 12,948.

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, an interior county,
situated northeast of St. Louis and south of
Springfield; area 702 square miles, population
(1890), 30,003— derives its name from Gen. Richard
Montgomery. The earliest settlements by Ameri-
cans were toward the close of 1816, county organi-
zation being effected five years later. The entire
population, at that time, scarcely exceeded 100
families. The surface is undulating, well watered
and timbered. The seat of county government is
located at Hillsboro. Litchfield is an important
town. Here are situated car-shops and some
manufacturing establishments. Conspicuous in
tlie county's history as pioneers were Harris
Reavis. Henry Pyatt. John Levi, Aaron Casey



382



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



John Tillson, Hiram Rouiitree, tlie Wrights
(Joseph and Charles), the Hills (John and
Henry), William McDavid and John Russell.

MONTICELLO, a city and the coimty-seat of
Piatt County, on the Sangamon River, midway
between Chicago and St. Louis, on the Kankakee
and Bloomington Division of the Illinois Central,
and the Chicago and St. Louis Division of tlie
Wabash Railways. It lies within the "corn belt, "
and stock-raising is extensively carried on in the
surrounding country. Among the city industries
are a foundry and machine shops, steam flour and
planing mills, broom, cigar and harness-making,
and patent fence and tile works. The citj' is
lighted by electricity, has several elevators, an
excellent water system, numerous churches and
good schools, with banks and three weekly
papers. Population (1880), 1,337; (1890), 1,643.

MONTICELLO FEMALE SEMINARY, the
second institution established in Illinois for the
higher education of women — Jacksonville Female
Seminary being the first. It was founded
through the munificence of Capt. Benjamin
Godfrey, who donated fifteen acres for a site, at
Godfrey, Madison County, and gave 853,000
toward erecting and equipping the buildings.
The institution was opened on April U, 1838,
with sixteen young lady pupils. Rev. Theron
Baldwin, one of the celebrated "Yale Band,"
being the first Principal. In 1845 he was suc-
ceeded by Miss Pliilena Fobes, and she, in turn,
by Miss Harriet N. Haskell, in 186G, who still
remains in charge. In November, 1883, the
seminary building, with its contents, was burned ;
but the institution continued its sessions in tem-
porary quarters until the erection of a new build-
ing, which was soon accomplished through the
generosity of alumnee and friends of female edu-
cation tlu-oughout the country. The new struc-
ture is of stone, three stories in height, and
thoroughly modern. The average nmnber of
pupils is 150. with fourteen instructors, and tlie
standard of the institution is of a high character.

MOORE, Clifton H., lawyer and financier, was
born at Kirtland, Lake County, Ohio, Oct. 26,
1817; after a brief season spent in two academies
and one term in the Western Reserve Teachers'
Seminary, at Kirtland, in 1839 he came west
and engaged in teaching at Pekin, 111., while
giving his leisure to the study of law. He spent
the next year at Tremont as Deputy County and
Circuit Clerk, was admitted to the bar at Spring-
field in 1841, and located soon after at Clinton,
DeWitt County, which has since been his home.
In partnership with the late Judge David Davis,



of Bloomington, Mr. Moore, a few years later,
began operating extensively in Illinois lands, and
is now one of the largest land proprietors in
the State, besides being interested in a number
of manufacturing ventures and a local bank.
The only oflGcial position of importance he has
lield is that of Delegate to the State Constitu-
tional Convention of 1869-70. He is an enthusi-
astic collector of State historical and art treasirres,
of which he possesses one of the most valuable
private collections in Illinois.

MOORE, Henry, pioneer lawyer, came to Chi-
cago from Concord, Mass., in 1834, and was
almost immediately admitted to the bar, also
acting for a time as a clerk in the office of Col.
Richard J. Hamilton, who held pretty much all
the county offices on the organization of Cook
County. Mr. Moore was one of the original
Trustees of Rush Medical College, and obtained
from the Legislature the first charter for a gas
company in Chicago. In 1838 he went to Ha-
vana, Cuba, for the benefit of his failing health,
but subsequent!}' returned to Concord, Mass.,
where he died some years afterward.

MOORE, James, pioneer, was born in the State
of Maryland in 1750 ; was married in his native
State, about 1772, to Miss Catherine Biggs, later
removing to Virginia. In 1777 he came to the
Illinois Country as a sp)', preliminary to the con-
templated expedition of Col. George Rogers
Clark, which captured Kaskaskia in July, 1778.
After the Clark expedition (in which he served
as Captain, by appointment of Gov. Patrick
Henry), he returned to Virginia, where he
remained until 1781, when he organized a party
of emigrants, which he accompanied to Illinois,
spending the winter at Kaskaskia. The following
year they located at a point in the northern part
of Monroe County, which afterwards received
the name of Bellefontaine. After his arrival in
Illinois, he organized a company of "Minute
Men," of which he was chosen Captain. He was
a man of prominence and influence among the
early settlers, but died in 1788. A numerous and
influential family of his descendants have grown
up in Southern Illinois. — John (Moore), son of
the preceding, was born in Maryland in 1773, and
brought by his father to Illinois eight years later.
He married a sister of Gen. John D. Whiteside,
who afterwards became State Ti-easurer, and also
served as Fund Commissioner of the State of Illi-
nois under the internal improvement system.
Moore was an officer of the State Militia, and
served in a company of rangers dviring the War
of 1818; was also the first County Treasurer of



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Monroe County. Died. July 4, 1833. — James B.
(Moore), the third son of Capt. James Moore, was
born in 1780, and brought to Illinois by his par-
ents: in his early manhood he followed the
business of keel-boating on the Mississippi arid
Ohio Rivers, visiting New Orleans, Pittsburg and
other points; became a prominent Indian fighter
during the War of 1812, and was commissioned
Captain by Governor Edwards and authorized to
raise a company of mounted rangers; also
served as SheritT of Monroe County, by appoint-
ment of Governor Edwards, in Territorial days ;
was Presidential Elector in 1820, and State Sena-
tor for Madison County in 1836-40, dying in the
latter year. — Enoch (Moore), fourth son of Capt.
James Moore, the pioneer, was born in the old
block-house at Bellefontaine in 1782, being the
first child born of American parents in Illinois ;
served as a "ranger" in the company of his
brother, James B. ; occupied the office of Clerk of
the Circuit Court, and afterwards that of Judge
of Probate of Monroe County during the Terri-
torial period ; was Delegate to the Constitutional
Convention of 1818, and served as Representative
from Monroe County in the Second General
Assembly, later filling various county offices for
some twenty years. He died in 1848.

MOORE, Jesse H., clergyman, .soldier and Con-
gressman, born near Lebanon, St. Clair County,
III., April 22, 1817, and graduated from McKen-
dree College in 1842. For thirteen years he was
a teacher, during portions of this period being
successively at the head of three literary insti-
tutions in the West. In 1849 he was ordained a
minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but
resigned pastorate duties in 1802, to take part in
the War for the Union, organizing the One Hun-
dred and Fifteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteers,
of which he was commissioned Colonel, also serving
as brigade commander during the last year of the
war, and being brevetted Brigadier-General at its
close. After the war he re-entered the ministry,
but, in 1868, while Presiding Elder of the Decatur
District, he was elected to the Forty-first Con-
gress as a Republican, being re-elected in 1870 ;
afterwards served as Pension Agent at Spring-
field, and, in 1881, was appointed United States
Consul at Callao, Peru, dying in office, in that
city, July 11, 1883.

MOORE, John, Lieutenant-Governor (1842-46) ;
was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., Sept. 8, 1793;
came to America and settled in Illinois in 1830,
spending most of his life as a resident of Bloom-
ington. In 1838 he was elected to the lower
branch of the Eleventh General Assembly from



the McLean District, and, in 184(1, to tlie Senate,
but before the close of his term, in 1842, was
elected Lieutenant-Governor with Gov. Thomas
Ford. At the outbreak of the Mexican War lie
took a conspicuous part in recruiting the Fourth
Regiment Illinois Volunteers (Col. E. D. Baker's),
of which he was chosen Lieutenant-Colonel,
serving gallantly throughout the struggle. In
1848 he was appointed State Treasurer, as succes-
sor of Milton Carpenter, who died in office. In
1850 he was elected to the same office, and con-
tinued to discharge its duties until 18.'57, when he
was succeeded by James Miller. Died, Sept. 23,
1863.

MOORE, Risdon, pioneer, was born in Dela-
ware in 1700; removed to North Carolina in 1789,
and, a few years later, to Hancock County, Ga.,
where he served two terms in the Legislature.
He emigrated from Georgia in 1812, and settled
in St. Clair County, 111. — besides a family of fif-
teen white persons, bringing with him eighteen
colored people — the object of his removal being
to get rid of slavery. He purchased a farm in
what was known as the "Turkey Hill Settle-
ment," about four miles east of Belleville, where
he resided until his death in 1828. Mr. Moore
became a prominent citizen, was elected to the
Second Territorial House of Representatives, and
was chosen Speaker, serving as such for two ses-
sions (1814-15). He was also Representative from
St. Clair County in the First, Second and Third
General Assemblies after the admission of Illinois
into the Union. In the last of these he was one
of the most zealous opponents of the pro-slavery
Convention scheme of 1822-24. He left a numer-
ous and highly respected family of descendants,
who were afterwards prominent in jiublic affairs. —
William (Moore), his son, served as a Captain in
the War of 1812, and also commandeii a company
in the Black Hawk War. He rejiresented St.
Clair County in the lower branch of the Ninth
and Tenth General Assemblies; was a local
preacher of the Jlethodist Church, and was Presi-
dent of the Board of Trustees of McKendree Col-
lege at the time of his death in 1849. — Risdon
(Moore), Jr., a cousin of the first named Risdon
Moore, was a Representative from St. Clair County
in the Fourth General Assembly and Senator in
the Sixth, but died before the expiration of his
term, being succeeded at the next session by
Adam W. Snyder.

MOORE, Stephen Richey, lawyer, was born of
Scotch ancestry, in Cincinnati, Ohio, Sept. 22.
1832; in 18.51, entered Farmers' College near Cin-
cinnati, graduating in 1856, and, having qualified



384



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS



liimself for the practice of law, located the fol-
lowing year at Kankakee, 111., which has since
been his home. In 1858 he was employed in
defense of the late Father Chiniquy, who recently
died in Montreal, in one of the celebrated suits
begun against him by dignitaries of the Roman
Catholic Church. Mr. Moore is a man of strik-
ing appearance and great independence of char-
acter, a Methodist in religious belief and has
generally acted politically in co-operation with
the Democratic party, though strongly anti-
slavery in his views. In 1872 he was a delegate
to the Liberal Republican Convention at Cin-
cinnati which nominated Mr. Greeley for the
Presidency, and, in 1896, participated in the same
way in the Indianapolis Convention which nomi-
nated Gen. John M. Palmer for the same ofBce, in
the following campaign giving the "Gold Democ-
racy" a vigorous support.

MORAN, Thomas A., lawyer and jurist, was
born at Bridgeport, Conn., Oct. 7, 1839; received
his preliminary education in the district schools
of Wisconsin (to which State his father's family
had removed in 1846), and at an academy at
Salem, Wis. ; began reading law at Kenosha in
1859, meanwhile supporting himself by teaching.
In May, 1865, he graduated from the Albany
(N. y.) Law School, and the same year com-
menced practice in Chicago, rapidly rising to the
front rank of his profession. In 1879 he was
elected a Judge of the Cook County Circuit Court,
and re-elected in 1885. At the expiration of his
second term he resumed private practice. While
on the bench he at first heard only common law
cases, but later divided the business of the equity
side of the court with Judge Tuley. In June,
1886, he was assigned to the bench of the Appel-
late Court, of which tribunal he was, for a year.
Chief Justice.

MORGAN, James Dady, soldier, was born in
Boston, Mass., August 1, 1810, and, at 16 years of
age, went for a three years' trading voyage on



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 80 of 207)