Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 83 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 83 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


This was, of course, jjartly due to the absence of
improved highways, but also to the belief that,
as the country developed, the streams would
become extremely valuable, if not indispensable,
especially in the transportation of heavy commod-
ities. Accorilingly, for the first quarter century
after the organization of the State Government,
one of the (juestions receiving the attention of
the Legislature, at almost every session, was the
enactment of laws affirming the navigability of
certain streams now regarded as of little impor-
tance, or utterly insignificant, as channels of



394



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS,



transportation. Legislation of this character
began with the first General Assembly (1819),
and continued, at intervals, with reference to
one or two of tlie more important interior rivers
of the State, as late as 1867. Besides the Illinois
and Wabash, still recognized as navigable
streams, the following were made the subject of
legislation of this character : Beaucoup Creek, a
branch of the Big Muddy, in Perry and Jackson
Counties (law of 1819); Big Bay, a tributary of
the Ohio in Pope County (Acts of 1833); Big
Muddy, to the junction of the East and West
Forks in Jefferson County (183.T), with various
subsequent amendments; Big Vermilion, declared
navigable (1831); Bon Pas, a branch of the
Wabash, between Wabasli and Edwards Coun-
ties (1831) ; Cache River, to main fork in Johnson
County (1819); Des Plaines, declared navigable
(1839); Embarras (1831), with various subsequent
acts in reference to improvement; Fox River,
declared navigable to the Wisconsin line (1840),
and Fox River Navigation Company, incorpo-
rated (185.5) ; Kankakee and Iroquois Navigation
& Manufacturing Company, incorporated (1847),
with various changes and amendments (1851-65) ;
Kaskaskia (or Okaw), declared navigable to a
point in Fayette County north of Vandalia (1819),
with various modifying acts (1833-67) ; Macoupin
Creek, to Carrollton and Alton road (1837) ;
Piasa, declared navigable in Jersey and Madison
Counties (1861); Rock River Navigation Com-
pany, incorporated (1841), Avith subsequent acts
(1845-67) ; Sangamon River, declared navigable
to Third Principal Meridian — east line of Sanga-
mon County — {1822). and the Nortli Fork of same
to Champaign County (1845); Sny-Carty (a bayou
of the Mississippi), declared navigable in Pike
and Adams Counties (18.59); Spoon River, navi
gable to Cameron's mill in Fulton County (1835),
with various modifying acts (1845-53); Little
W^abash Navigation Company, incorporated
and river declared navigable to McCawley"s
bridge — probably in Clay County — (1826), with
various subsequent acts making appropriations
for its improvement; Skillet Fork (a branch
of the Little Wabash), declared navigable
to Slocum's Mill in Marion County (1837), and
to Ridgway Mills (1846). Other acts passed at
various times declared a number of unim-
portant streams navigable, including Big Creek
in Fulton County, Crooked Creek in Schuyler
County, Lusk's Creek in Pope County, McKee's
Creek in Pike County, Seven Mile Creek in Ogle
County, besides a number of others" of similar
character.



NEALE, THOMAS M., pioneer lawyer, was
born in Fauquier County, Va., 1796; while yet a
child removed with his parents to Bowling Green,
Ky., and became a common soldier in the War of
1813; came to Springfield, 111., in 1824, and began
the practice of law ; served as Colonel of a regi-
ment raised in Sangamon and Morgan Counties
for the Winnebago War (1827), and afterwards as
Surveyor of Sangamon County, appointing
Abraham Lincoln as his deputy. He also served
as a Justice of tlie Peace, for a number of years,
at Springfield. Died, August 7, 1840.

jVEECE, William H., ex-Congressman, was
born, Feb. 36, 1831, in what is now a part of
Logan County, 111., but which was then within the
limits of Sangamon ; was reared on a farm and
attended the public schools in McDonough
Count3'; studied law and was admitted to the
bar in 1858, and has been ever since engaged in
practice. His political career began in 1861,
when he was chosen a member of the City Coun.
cil of Macomb. In 1864 he was elected to the
Legislature, and, in 1869, a member of the Con-
stitutional Convention. In 1871 he was again
elected to the lower liouse of the General Assem-
bly, and, in 1878, to the State Senate. From 1883
to 1887 he represented the Eleventh Ilhuois Dis-,
trict in Congress, as a Democrat, but was defeated
for re-election in 1890 by William H. Gest,
Republican.

NEGROES. (See Slavery and Slave Laws.)

NEOGA, a village of Cumberland County, at the
intersection of the Illinois Central and the Toledo,
St. Louis & Kansas City Railways, 10 miles south-
west of Charleston ; has a bank, two newspapers,
some manufactories, and ships considerable grain
and live-stock. Population (1890). 829.

NEPONSET, a village and station on the Chi-
cago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, in Bureau
County, 4 miles southwest of Mendota. Popula-
tion (1880), 653; (1890), 543.

NEW ALBANY & ST. LOUIS RAILWAY.
(See Louisville, EvansviUe & St. Louis (Consoli-
dated) Railroad.)

NEW ATHENS, a village of St. Clair County,
on the St. Louis & Cairo "Short Line" (now Illi-
nois Central) Railroad, at the crossing of the Kas-
kaskia River, 31 miles southeast of St. Louis ; has
one newspaper and considerable grain trade.
Population (1880), 603; (1890), 624.

NEW BERLIN, a village of Sangamon County,
on the Wabash Railway, 17 miles west of Spring-
field. Population (1.S80), 403; (1890), 494.

NEWBERRY LIBRARY, a large reference li-
brary, located in Chicago, endowed by Walter L.



IlISTOlilCAL KXCYCT.OI'KDIA OF ILLINOIS.



Ne%vberry. an early business man of Cliicago, who
left half of his estate (aggregating over §2,000.0(10)
for the purpose. The property bequeathed was
large!}- in real estate, which has since greatly in-
creased in value. Tlie library was establi.shed in
temporary quarters in 1887. and the first section
of a permanent building was opened in the
autumn of 1898. By that time there had been
accumulated about 160,000 books and pamphlets.
A collection of nearly fifty portraits — chiefly of
eminent Americans, including many citizens of
Chicago — was presented to the libi-ary by G. P. A.
Healy, a distinguished artist, since deceased.
Tlie site of the building occupies an entire block,
and the original design contemplates a handsome
front on eacli of the four streets, with a large
rectangular court in the center. The section
already completed is massive and imposing, and
its interior is admirably adapted to the purposes
of a Ubrar}-, and at the same time rich and
beautiful. Wlien completed, the building will
have a capacity for four to six million volumes.

XEWBERRt, Walter C, ex-Congressman, was
born at Sangerfield, Oneida County, N. Y., Dec.
23, 1835. Early in tlie Civil War he enlisted as a
private, and rose, step by step, to a colonelcy, and
was mustered out as Brevet Brigadier-General.
In 1890 he was elected, as a Democrat, to represent
the Fourth Illinois District in the Fifty-second
Congress (1891-93). His liome is in Chicago.

NEWBERRY, Walter L., merchant, banker and
philanthropist, was born at East Windsor, Conn.,
Sept. 18, 1804, descended from English ancestry.
He was President Jackson's personal appointee
to the United States Military Academy at West
Point, but was prevented from taking the exami-
nation bj' sickness. Subsequently he embarked in
business at Buffalo, N. Y., going to Detroit in
1828, and settling at Chicago in 1833. After
engaging in general merchandising for several
years, he turned his attention to banking, in
which he accumulated a large fortune. He was
a prominent and influential citizen, serving
several terms as Presirlent of the Board of Edu-
cation, and being, for six years, the President of
the Chicago Historical Society. He died at sea,
Nov. 6, 1868, leaving a large estate, one-Iialf of
which he devoted, by will, to the founding of a
free reference library in Chicago. (See Newberry
Library.)

\EW BOSTOX, a city of Mercer County, on
the Mississippi River, at the western terminus of
tlie Galva and New Boston Division of the Chi-
cago. Burlington & Quincy Railway. Population
(1890\ 44.-).



MEW BRUJHTOX, a viUage of St. Clair County
and suburb of East St. Louis. Population (1890),
868.

. NEW BURNSIDE, a village of Johnson County,
on tlie Cairo Division of the Cleveland, Cincin-
nati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway, 53 miles
northeast of Cairo. Population (1880), 650;
(1890). ,-.96.

NEW DOUGLAS, a village in Madison County,
on the Toledo, St. Louis & Kansas City Railroad ;
is the center of a rich farming region : has one
newspaper. Population (1880), 400; (1890), .555.

NEWELL, John, Railway President, v.as born
at West Newbury, Mass., March 31, 1830, being
directly descended from "Pilgrim" stock. At
the age of 16 he entered the employment of the
Cheshire Railroad in New Hampshire. Eighteen
months later he was appointed an assistant engi-
neer on the Vermont Central Railroad, and placed
in charge of the construction of a 10-mile section
of the line. His promotion was rapid, and, in
1850, he accepted a responsible position on the
Champlain & St. Lawrence Railroad. From 1850
to 1856 he was engaged in making surveys for
roads in Kentucky and New York, and, during
the latter year, held the position



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 83 of 207)